• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Q2? Is that Financial? When is that?
15% boost in speed seems ok for now. Real thing is its power draw and how well it can clock.

demigod

So I bought a cheap Bluetooth Adapter to see if it could enable Bluetooth unlike the internal Bluetooth on the Asus Mobo.

Well, the drivers installed fine and it does seem to light up and blink when searching for devices, but it once again can't discover anything.

Bluetooth is enabled in services and I disabled the Asus Bluetooth in Bios, deleted, and uninstalled the Asus Bluetooth drivers.

Any suggestions on fixing this? Could it be a problem with Windows 7?

Check my previous post. You probably still have Motionjoy stuff that wasn't completely uninstalled. Also check your registry if any bluetooth or motionjoy is in there.

Just bought this to replace my GTX 260 216:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-142-MS

Kinda fitting that I replace a second model of a card with a second model of a card.

Reasons?

No way I'm touching anything from AMD after the disaster of a year they've had in terms of support.

I just wasn't comfortable buying a GPU with 1GB of RAM considering its already proving an issue. The GTX 570 was just outside of my comfort zone in terms of power draw and price but as someone invested in S3D gaming, the higher geometry processing was alluring.

Just bought this to replace my GTX 260 216:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-142-MS

Kinda fitting that I replace a second model of a card with a second model of a card.

Reasons?

No way I'm touching anything from AMD after the disaster of a year they've had in terms of support.

I just wasn't comfortable buying a GPU with 1GB of RAM considering its already proving an issue. The GTX 570 was just outside of my comfort zone in terms of power draw and price but as someone invested in S3D gaming, the higher geometry processing was alluring.

Well, be happy, because the 560 Ti 448 IS a GTX 570 with a couple of CUDA cores disabled. Just overclock it high enough and it'll be as fast as a GTX 580!

Smidget

Upthread just ordered a new computer (well parts...) but no videocard yet. Was hoping to get a videocard with my Christmas money I get on or around Christmas time. Should we be seeing any price reductions in any cards in that time frame? I'm not itching to get the top of the line either, I'd like to get something around $100 (including rebates, etc.).

My build (in a nutshell):
i5-2500K
16GB ram
500W PS
Z68 mobo

If you were to pick one ~$100 card right now, what would it be? I'd ilke to stay towards NVIDIA because I've had problems in the past with my AMD...

·feist·;33044466 said:
GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores NDA officially lifted, 9am EST. All I'll say is that Nvidia and co. will be selling a lot of these.
I totally agree...

Q2? Is that Financial? When is that?
15% boost in speed seems ok for now. Real thing is its power draw and how well it can clock.
Same ~April-ish/Q2 window that's floated about for months. Recent reports are now calling that a delay, even though the Q1 projections are years old. Can't vary much from the current map, or you start to run into scheduling/marketing/etc. issues with Ivy Bridge-E, and Haswell.

Upthread just ordered a new computer (well parts...) but no videocard yet. Was hoping to get a videocard with my Christmas money I get on or around Christmas time. Should we be seeing any price reductions in any cards in that time frame? I'm not itching to get the top of the line either, I'd like to get something around $100 (including rebates, etc.).

My build (in a nutshell):
i5-2500K
16GB ram
500W PS
Z68 mobo

If you were to pick one ~$100 card right now, what would it be? I'd ilke to stay towards NVIDIA because I've had problems in the past with my AMD...
Such a relatively long end card for such a fast processor. Non-SE GTX 460 1GBs have fallen into the $90-110 range, on occasion. Apart from that, you're looking at 460 SE, and 460 768MB. There are some big, generational changes starting across the next 2-3 months.

So I have been searching the internet for a good overclocking guide for my ASUS DirectcuII gtx 570. Does anyone know one of the top of their heads? I found a good one for the i5 2500k and a p868 but nothing for the ASUS card.

Smokey

Kadey or anybody else that streams:

What program do I need to use to stream at 60fps? Right now I use Dynno to capture my gameplay, but it's limited to 30fps. I noticed when streaming Modern Warfare 3, the stream was looking sluggish even though the game wasn't when I was playing. I'm assuming that's the 60fps -> 30fps effect to the stream.

Any help?

Anybody?

TheExodu5

Banned
One of my GTX 570 is finally gone. The era of SLI is over for me. It's a relief in some ways, but I will be missing the performance in some games, most notably Battlefield 3, Assassin's Creed, and Batman.

However, I now have the next generation of video cards to look forward to. :)

mkenyon

Banned
So I have been searching the internet for a good overclocking guide for my ASUS DirectcuII gtx 570. Does anyone know one of the top of their heads? I found a good one for the i5 2500k and a p868 but nothing for the ASUS card.
Just look up a review of it on one of the sites listed in the OP (HardOCP, Guru3D, OCC, etc) and they generally have an entire page dedicated to how they OC'd it. Can give you good info. Otherwise, you can do a forum search at a place like www.overclock.net to see if there is a guide or at least a thread about it.

Also, @Feist, did you just quote yourself and agree? Heh.

Hei Guise,

So I just got a new computer with a 6770... now in the past when updating vidya card drivers you had to do all sorts of stuff to make sure you had a clean transfer from one driver to the next (go into safe mode, use driver cleaner, bla bla). I guess what I'm asking is; is that stuff still necessary? What's the process involve?

Also it's been like 8 years since I last had a decent video card.

Smokey

use Flash Media Encoder 3.2 and don't even bother with dynno. It's horrible.
Really? I used dynno because of its ease of use. I get the picture on my monitor VIA hd pvr then make it full screen and drag dynno symbol over it and it starts steaming automatically to twitch.tv. Does flash media encoder work the same way?

ahh you have the hd pvr which doesn't even work with FME. You will have to use something like VHScreenCap with FME. FME is more complicated than dynno but easy to get around once you figure out what everything is.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hei Guise,

So I just got a new computer with a 6770... now in the past when updating vidya card drivers you had to do all sorts of stuff to make sure you had a clean transfer from one driver to the next (go into safe mode, use driver cleaner, bla bla). I guess what I'm asking is; is that stuff still necessary? What's the process involve?

Also it's been like 8 years since I last had a decent video card.

In my experience, it's never really been all that necessary. NVidia, at the very least, now has an option to do a "clean" install when installing new drivers, but I tend to avoid this as it resets all of my game profiles. As long as you're only upgrading to newer drivers, and not downgrading to old drivers, I think it's unnecessary.

In my experience, it's never really been all that necessary. NVidia, at the very least, now has an option to do a "clean" install when installing new drivers, but I tend to avoid this as it resets all of my game profiles. As long as you're only upgrading to newer drivers, and not downgrading to old drivers, I think it's unnecessary.
Awesome, thanks.

Smokey

ahh you have the hd pvr which doesn't even work with FME. You will have to use something like VHScreenCap with FME. FME is more complicated than dynno but easy to get around once you figure out what everything is.
Meh. I tried that before and could not get it to work. What about xsplit?

not sure about xsplit. if your serious about casting though I would get a intensity pro or something that works with fme but if you just wanna cast once in awhile dynno would be fine I guess.

Smokey

not sure about xsplit. if your serious about casting though I would get a intensity pro or something that works with fme but if you just wanna cast once in awhile dynno would be fine I guess.
Well the reason I use the pvr is because I can still play on my 55" tv. Connection goes into the pvr which then goes to my pc VIA usb. As I mentioned before I capture the picture on my monitor with dynno. Able to still play on tv while the computer does its thing. If I get intensity which is internal card , won't I pretty much have to game close to my computer area? Not sure how it would work unless I'm missing something . If I could do that while retaining the ability to use my main tv is do it in a heartbeat.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dang. 560 ti 448 are going for 310 in Newegg... Seems a bit too much... But ah well.

For the Twin Frozr model, that's a fair price. After all, it's just a slightly (<10%) diminished GTX 570. Compared to the GTX 570 Twin Frozr at $370, it's a great deal. Compared to the Asus DirectCu II at $330, it's less of a great deal, but still a slightly more attractive option.

I think the GTX 570 is pretty much moot at this point. The 560 Ti 448 has 95% of the performance at 80% of the cost. It also has slightly nicer power characteristics. If the price goes up above $310 it won't be a great buy at that point, however. It's at the upper limit of what should be charged.

xero273

Well the reason I use the pvr is because I can still play on my 55" tv. Connection goes into the pvr which then goes to my pc VIA usb. As I mentioned before I capture the picture on my monitor with dynno. Able to still play on tv while the computer does its thing. If I get intensity which is internal card , won't I pretty much have to game close to my computer area? Not sure how it would work unless I'm missing something . If I could do that while retaining the ability to use my main tv is do it in a heartbeat.

http://www.twitch.tv/MOTHEHAWK

My friend here has the exact same setup like you. I'm pretty sure he uses SCFH to capture and stream from FMLE. If he's not busy, I'll ask him if he can help you.

Smidget

So I'm getting EVERYTHING but my RAM today in the mail (boo!!!).

I currently have 8GB (4 sticks) of "CORSAIR XMS2 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5" in my E8400 machine.

I know it won't be optimal, but can I take 4GB of that and plug it into my computer to at least see if everything else is going to be up and running and switch it out when I get more?

scogoth

So I'm getting EVERYTHING but my RAM today in the mail (boo!!!).

I currently have 8GB (4 sticks) of "CORSAIR XMS2 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5" in my E8400 machine.

I know it won't be optimal, but can I take 4GB of that and plug it into my computer to at least see if everything else is going to be up and running and switch it out when I get more?

No its DDR2 RAM, you need DDR3 RAM

Smidget

No its DDR2 RAM, you need DDR3 RAM

Damn, thanks anyways.

I should go "rent" some from Best Buy and return it, no more restocking fees...

homer-devil-angel-shoulders.gif

Nevermind, no Best Buys have DDR3 in stock, darnit!

gokieks

I think the GTX 570 is pretty much moot at this point. The 560 Ti 448 has 95% of the performance at 80% of the cost. It also has slightly nicer power characteristics. If the price goes up above $310 it won't be a great buy at that point, however. It's at the upper limit of what should be charged.

See, I feel the opposite. Unless we see sales on the 560 Ti 448 that drop it below the MSRP, which may not be very likely considering that it's a binned limited supply part, I don't really see the point of getting it over the 570. Reference design 570s can be had for $320 on sales/rebates fairly frequently, and for $20 to $30 more than the 560 Ti 448, you get a performance increase fairly linear with cost increase, and leaving yourself the option of getting another 570 down the road for SLI, which you're unlikely to be able to do with the 560 Ti 448 (side note: even for a company with a long and "illustrious" history of ridiculously terribly named products as nVidia, this new part with an official name of "GeForce GTX 560 Ti With 448 Cores" may have taken the crown). Now, a $20-30 difference is a pretty big gap with low and midrange cards which is why both AMD and nVidia have different products at like $100 and $130 and $150 marks, but when talking about cards in the $300 range, it just doesn't matter as much. Now, if the cards with good custom coolers are a lot cheaper than their 570 counterparts, then it could be worthwhile for some people, but by and large I just don't really see many compelling reasons to go for the 560 Ti 448 over the 570.

$310 - MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE/OC

$370 - MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC

GTX 560 Ti 448 pricing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...isNodeId=1&Description=gtx+560+ti+448&x=0&y=0

GTX 570 pricing - reference, high-end custom, and low-quality custom:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...H&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=gtx+570&x=0&y=0

new problem, I got 2 x 4gb ddr3 ram.

The motherboard looks like this

[====BLUE====]
[====WHITE====]
[====BLUE====]
[====WHITE====]

I put 1 4gb stick in each of the White slots but it is only showing up as 4GB when I click on Computer ---> Properties. What is the correct way to install this ram?

This is the ram by the way. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57953&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL&manufacture=G.Skill
Did you try the alternate DIMMs? Your motherboard manual will tell you which are the primary slots for installs.

Also, @Feist, did you just quote yourself and agree? Heh.
I kinda like the cut of that guy's jib.

Sama Forza Pro 700W 80 Plus Platinum PSU

http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/697/697944_all.shtml
http://www.expreview.com/topic/sama_forza/
http://www.expreview.com/17672-1.html

Sama-Forza-Pro-25.jpg
Sama-Forza-Pro-19.jpg

Sama-Forza-Pro-17.jpg
Sama-Forza-Pro-6.jpg

Rufus

new problem, I got 2 x 4gb ddr3 ram.

The motherboard looks like this

[====BLUE====]
[====WHITE====]
[====BLUE====]
[====WHITE====]

I put 1 4gb stick in each of the White slots but it is only showing up as 4GB when I click on Computer ---> Properties. What is the correct way to install this ram?

This is the ram by the way. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57953&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL&manufacture=G.Skill

Use the first two slots, at least for the first boot.
Your motherboard's manual should have more information. I'm guessing the colours correspond to channels, so you should install one stick in a blue slot and the other in a white slot to run in dual-channel mode, but I recommend you double-check that.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to find out why it didn't boot the first few times. Have you looked up what those error codes meant? (Yeah, I read your other post pre-edit. :p )

Use the first two slots, at least for the first boot.
Your motherboard's manual should have more information. I'm guessing the colours correspond to channels, so you should install one stick in a blue slot and the other in a white slot to run in dual-channel mode, but I recommend you double-check that.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to find out why it didn't boot the first few times. Have you looked up what those error codes meant? (Yeah, I read your other post pre-edit. :p )

Not sure, i think it had to do with my monitor, because when i reinstalled my 5770 it wasn't showing up either until i unplugged the monitor from the wall and plugged it back in. I will check the motherboard website about the ram

InertiaXr

I've received good intel that my girlfriend has bought me this for Christmas, but was wondering if there was a different brand or model of mechanical keyboard I should tell her to go for instead. I really don't like that it's glossy, sounds absolutely horrible for a keyboard. I also have a child to be born in late February, and I saw that the Das has a silent version, maybe that would be a better choice with a infant around me? There is quite a few brands of these that I know of, Das, Razor, Steelseries, Filco, and even WASD who has individual custom keys designer, sounds awesome.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Really, any MX Cherry Brown keyboard. Rosewill has a nice $100 one, Filco is good, and I'm sure WASD has a configuration for you.

vilmer_

My PSU was starting to age so I picked up a Corsair AX850. I was going to grab a GTX 580, but went with the EVGA Superclocked 570 to save some money (as that PSU was rather expensive lol).

This is the motherboard manual, http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-p67a-d3-b3_e.pdf

It says to put them in the same color which i have been doing, i guess I will try the other color
Try running each stick one at a time in the primary slot, like they have pictured there. That way you'll see if the issue might be the memory, or the board. It's possible your second stick wasn't fully fastened even if the clips seemed to lock in place.

Hate you so much. Any word on that coming stateside?
Not likely, unless you find one of those niche US/CA importers. How's your Mandarin? http://sama.cn/en/contact.asp

I'm hoping Newegg starts selling products from Orico, Yeston, and others since they've signed about two or three trade deals this year. Like this one:

Newegg Announces Partnership Agreement With China's Yunnan Province Department of Commerce
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...nnan-province-department-commerce-1580016.htm

Since we don't have a troubleshooting thread I thought I'd ask here:

I keep getting uncorrectable hardware error blue screens every 40 minutes or so playing Skyrim and only Skyrim. I've had Memtest running for about 8 hours so I'm guessing my RAM isn't to blame. I'll try putting my CPU back to stock even though I stability tested the shit out of it to see if that does anything.

Where else could the blame lie?

TheExodu5

Banned
I've received good intel that my girlfriend has bought me this for Christmas, but was wondering if there was a different brand or model of mechanical keyboard I should tell her to go for instead. I really don't like that it's glossy, sounds absolutely horrible for a keyboard. I also have a child to be born in late February, and I saw that the Das has a silent version, maybe that would be a better choice with a infant around me? There is quite a few brands of these that I know of, Das, Razor, Steelseries, Filco, and even WASD who has individual custom keys designer, sounds awesome.

DAS, Rosewill, Filco, WASD are fine. There's Leopold as well, but if you're in the U.S., there's little reason in getting them over Filco, as they have worse stabilizers (the bars underneath long keys like Shift and Space).

Get MX Brown keys. DAS Silent is just this.

For me, the clincher for WASD was that you can pay $20/$23 to get switch dampeners, which are little O-rings that they install underneath the keys to make them much more silent when they bottom out. The customization is just a bonus. That being said, they might have some growing pains (one user reported the laser etching was fading for him, but the owner promptly changed the laser settings and sent him a free set of keys).

There's a WASD video comparing the sound of the different keys with and without the sound dampeners. I believe this is the link (I'm at work and can't check):
Cherry MX Switch Sound Comparison

JJBro One

Is a seawater barracuda 500gb 7200rpm internal hdd for $70 a good deal or average deal? Should I jump on it or wait? I got a Samsung spin point f3 1tb for $80.

InertiaXr

DAS, Rosewill, Filco, WASD are fine. There's Leopold as well, but if you're in the U.S., there's little reason in getting them over Filco, as they have worse stabilizers (the bars underneath long keys like Shift and Space).

Get MX Brown keys. DAS Silent is just this.

For me, the clincher for WASD was that you can pay $20/$23 to get switch dampeners, which are little O-rings that they install underneath the keys to make them much more silent when they bottom out. The customization is just a bonus. That being said, they might have some growing pains (one user reported the laser etching was fading for him, but the owner promptly changed the laser settings and sent him a free set of keys).

There's a WASD video comparing the sound of the different keys with and without the sound dampeners. I believe this is the link (I'm at work and can't check):
Cherry MX Switch Sound Comparison

Alright thank you, I will probably end up getting a WASD with those o-rings and brown switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom