• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I sent my p8z68v-pro back to amazon this morning. The usb ports were defective :(
Once they issue the refund, maybe I'll go with the extreme-z instead...

mkenyon

Banned
I thought that a push/pull was not possible on a 500r as there would not be enough room between. Motherboard and hitting the radiator unlike the Arc Midi?

Also, how does one go about doing a push/pull with an H100?
You can put fans on the outside of the case IIRC, not enough room internally. The H100 comes with extra screws. You put those on the other fans not mounted directly to the case.
I sent my p8z68v-pro back to amazon this morning. The usb ports were defective :(
Once they issue the refund, maybe I'll go with the extreme-z instead...
Have an extra Gene-Z if you are interested.

Lkr

i was trying to do one of those make your own xbox hard drive mods, and i hadn't realized just how expensive 2.5" hard drives are now. double the price for some small capacity drives, i don't know how laptop prices are staying stable despite a shortage of drives and crazy prices everywhere else

mkenyon

Banned
i was trying to do one of those make your own xbox hard drive mods, and i hadn't realized just how expensive 2.5" hard drives are now. double the price for some small capacity drives, i don't know how laptop prices are staying stable despite a shortage of drives and crazy prices everywhere else
Laptop manufacturers have contracts with HDD manufacturers to get HDDs at X cost in future years. Consumers like us are essentially subsidizing that with increased prices on our end.

Soi-Fong

You can put fans on the outside of the case IIRC, not enough room internally. The H100 comes with extra screws. You put those on the other fans not mounted directly to the case.

I was wondering do you know if the arc midi can fit the two fans outside of the case, but still have the dust filter?

gokieks

What does the little button do on the mem ok light?

If you've already cleared BIOS by removing CMOS battery or setting jumpers then this is moot, but the Mem OK! button on ASUS boards is actually designed to do exactly what you needed - it (temporarily?) sets memory timings to extremely lax settings, allowing the system to boot and you to go change those settings w/o needing to completely clear all BIOS settings like you usually would.

mkenyon

Banned
I was wondering do you know if the arc midi can fit the two fans outside of the case, but still have the dust filter?
It can fit fans in push pull inside the case. The top of the case is actually a second piece that is essentially screwed in to the main chassis. It contains a bunch of plastic cross pieces that hold the filter in place. You *could* probably mount fans outside of the case, but you might have to remove some of the plastic supports. The screws could theoretically just puncture right through the filter and connect with the threading on the chassis/radiator. This would look butt ugly, and I'm not certain why someone would want to in the first place though.

JJBro One

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.44 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($182.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12LS28 OEM Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($168.95 @ Mac Connection)
Total: $1677.16
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-12-03 13:22 EST-0500)

Can someone recommend me a good psu for this build? I plan to overclock gpu and cpu and I plan to sli with another gtx 580.

JWong

Banned
PC Gaf, need help.

My computer auto-restarts at a very specific time several days a week. I don't know what the hell it is that's doing it! Anywhere I could look?

I don't have any anti-virus, and I turned off updaters on malwarebytes.

Naka

All my pieces are purchased and I should be able to start my build next week. I have one question regarding SSD though. Is it safe to partition them? I really only do it for organizational purposes so if I ever have to format I dont need to redownload or reinstall big games like WoW. I typically only install games on my D drive partition while I keep the OS and other programs on C. Can I do this with SSD without causing any problems? I'm not sure how windows deals with TRIM or what it even does, so that's why I ask this question.

Quoting myself for a new page. Anyone?

I recently bought an ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II from Amazon.co.uk. The fan nearest the power connectors makes a rattling noise at a certain speed, but not all the time, suggesting that it is also temperature-related. It only seems to happen as the card is cooling down after running a game for a while.

So it happens like this:

1) boot up PC, gpu fans at idle, no rattle
2) run game for a while, gpu fans spin up, no rattle
3) close game, gpu fans go back to idle, starts rattling like mad as the temperature falls
4) after a few minutes at idle it stops rattling

It only happens with one of the fans. Is there an easy fix? Or should I just get a replacement from Amazon?

mkenyon

Banned
Quoting myself for a new page. Anyone?
Partitioning it will be fine.
I recently bought an ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II from Amazon.co.uk. The fan nearest the power connectors makes a rattling noise at a certain speed, but not all the time, suggesting that it is also temperature-related. It only seems to happen as the card is cooling down after running a game for a while.

So it happens like this:

1) boot up PC, gpu fans at idle, no rattle
2) run game for a while, gpu fans spin up, no rattle
3) close game, gpu fans go back to idle, starts rattling like mad as the temperature falls
4) after a few minutes at idle it stops rattling

It only happens with one of the fans. Is there an easy fix? Or should I just get a replacement from Amazon?
Not really easy unless you're comfortable with removing the heatsink from the card. I'd actually suggest filing a RMA with ASUS. They might cross ship a new card to you. Their customer service has been nothing but top notch in my experience.

Not really easy unless you're comfortable with removing the heatsink from the card. I'd actually suggest filing a RMA with ASUS. They might cross ship a new card to you. Their customer service has been nothing but top notch in my experience.
Hmm. It's still within the 30 day amazon returns window... would it not be easier to do it through them? By cross ship do you mean they'd send a new card before asking for the old one back/at the same time? Because that would be mighty handy...

mkenyon

Banned
Hmm. It's still within the 30 day amazon returns window... would it not be easier to do it through them? By cross ship do you mean they'd send a new card before asking for the old one back/at the same time? Because that would be mighty handy...
Yeah, that is what I mean. You can at least start the RMA and see if they'd be willing to do it. If they require you to ship it in, then you could do the Amazon return if that is what you prefer.

mkenyon

Banned
So after I'm all finished building, do I need to keep the boxes and crap around and for how long if I should?
I'm kind of a neat freak, so I toss it all except for the PSU box. Everything else is easily shipped in an anti-static bag + lots of padding.

TheExodu5

Banned
So after I'm all finished building, do I need to keep the boxes and crap around and for how long if I should?

I keep everything for warranty/resell purposes. You can put all of the boxes inside the box for your case, it'll take up a lot less room that way. I put the bills in there as well.

If you've got room to put them all in the attic or something, it might be worth doing, particularly if you are very careful with opening packages. It certainly looks a lot better in an eBay sale when all the packaging for a certain component is in as-new condition.

JWong

Banned
Guh, I'm not sure if what I did will solve my restart problem, but if not, I'm gonna get an SSD for sure.

OCZ Vertex 3 240GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps Sandforce SF-2281 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
Price: $389.99 CAD after $30 MIR
($160 OFF Reg. $549.99 Sku:59355)

How's this?

I don't think SSD will ever reach the dollar to gig value, but this is close.

mkenyon

Banned
Guh, I'm not sure if what I did will solve my restart problem, but if not, I'm gonna get an SSD for sure.

How's this?

I don't think SSD will ever reach the dollar to gig value, but this is close.
I think *most* of the recent Sandforce (what OCZ uses) issues have been ironed out, so you'll probably be okay with that drive. However, I'd still push people towards the Intel 320 series, Corsair Force GT, and Crucial M4.

Whatever drive you get, make sure you update the firmware on it before installing windows.

Smokey

I don't really think push/pull on the H100 is necessary.

I'm going to have to put the fans on the outside. It won't work for me inside:

IMAG0309-1.jpg

IMAG0310-1.jpg

You can see that the fan covers my power supply connector in the upper left. Compare it to the RAM on the right compared to how far the fan sticks out and it won't go there. Put em up top and the mesh cover won't close completely.

Irritated.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
For an E8400, anyone know if it's useless to get the 560ti over a regular 560? I might OC the thing since it's been stock this whole time tho

edit, also I'll be turning this build mainly into a dolphin system

Smokey

You're supposed to put it in the compartment thingie above the main chassis but still below the top panel - which is removable.

Ya eventually figured that out haha. Was getting confused looking at other pics. Finally got it installed, what a bitch to do.

I'm going to have to put the fans on the outside. It won't work for me inside:

You can see that the fan covers my power supply connector in the upper left. Compare it to the RAM on the right compared to how far the fan sticks out and it won't go there. Put em up top and the mesh cover won't close completely.

Irritated.
The 400R/500R and 600T both have a separate compartment (at the top of the case with a removable cover) for the H100 fans. The 650D is the only Corsair mid-tower that can house the H100 fans within the main chassis. A fully internal push/pull H100 setup would require the 650D, though you would probably need custom fans.

JWong

Banned
I think *most* of the recent Sandforce (what OCZ uses) issues have been ironed out, so you'll probably be okay with that drive. However, I'd still push people towards the Intel 320 series, Corsair Force GT, and Crucial M4.

Whatever drive you get, make sure you update the firmware on it before installing windows.

Intel 320 reliability still trumps all? The pricing hasn't gone done ever though.

gokieks

Intel 320 reliability still trumps all? The pricing hasn't gone done ever though.

320s were on sale for around $1/GB (after rebate) at a few places during Black Friday, and for someone who cares about reliability and space, a 160GB 320 for $160 is a very solid choice.

Manp

the Corsair Force GT uses exactly the same sandforce controller OCZ is using in their 3 series SSDs. and suffer from the sames problems.
out of those three the M4 is the best bet. it's basically problems free and quite as fast.

the Intel 320 had its fair share of problems too with the 8MB bug.

:)

Always nice having the option to push/pull 2x240mm, all internally, without modding, and having space to spare. Plus, room for 1x120mm + 1x120mm.

*not my pics
sam0572v.jpg

sam0525.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
the Corsair Force GT uses exactly the same sandforce controller OCZ is using in their 3 series SSDs. and suffer from the sames problems.
out of those three the M4 is the best bet. it's basically problems free and quite as fast.

the Intel 320 had its fair share of problems too with the 8MB bug.

Yeah, the only reason why I suggest the Force GT over the OCZ products is because if something does go wrong (what storage device doesn't have issues?) you have Corsair support to help you out rather than OCZ. Corsair service is pretty phenomenal. They sent me an additional 600T just because the fan controller on my previous one went bad. That's what kind of service you can expect.

Most stuff has its fair share of issues. Most of my buying decisions are based on minimizing those, and buying from companies that fix whatever issues crop up. Crucial, Intel, and Corsair are the best examples of it on both sides.
·feist·;33162225 said:
Always nice having the option to push/pull 2x240mm, all internally, without modding, and having space to spare. Plus, room for 1x120mm + 1x120mm.

*not my pics
It does seem almost impossible to find a case with as many features in a nice package as the 690II and Arc Midi. The fact that they're both under $100 makes it almost silly.

Manp

Yeah, the only reason why I suggest the Force GT over the OCZ products is because if something does go wrong (what storage device doesn't have issues?) you have Corsair support to help you out rather than OCZ. Corsair service is pretty phenomenal. They sent me an additional 600T just because the fan controller on my previous one went bad. That's what kind of service you can expect.

i have nothing against Corsair, they're kind of awesome really, but they're just as clueless as OCZ when it comes to Sandforce screw ups. even if you get them to exchange the drive you'd still have a drive with an underlying firmware issue that's still not completely fixed after months on the market.

Most stuff has its fair share of issues. Most of my buying decisions are based on minimizing those, and buying from companies that fix whatever issues crop up. Crucial, Intel, and Corsair are the best examples of it on both sides.
definitely, that's why i'm saying the M4 is the best bet among SSDs. there are really no major issues to report. nothing as bad as constant BSODs or getting all your data erased after a reboot at least :p

comrade

Ok got the cpu fan error taken care of.

Does this all look solid so far?

is that the lowest you could go on the voltage and be prime stable? Your temps are fine so it's not really a big deal but personally I always tinker with it until I get the lowest possible stable voltage.

JWong

Banned
320s were on sale for around $1/GB (after rebate) at a few places during Black Friday, and for someone who cares about reliability and space, a 160GB 320 for $160 is a very solid choice.

Ah really? Too bad I'm in Canada. Don't think such sales were around here.

Specific time as in like a timer? Maybe some software is causing it.

Yes. 10 am Saturday and Sunday, and some days on the weekdays. It's too specific to call it a PSU issue or a virus of any kind. I don't think a virus would be so scheduled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom