• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My PSU seems to be breaking down. The fan have been making worrying noises almost since day one but they've been getting worse lately. It soudns like something is stuck between the fan blades like when you put a piece of cardboard in your bicycle wheel as a kid. But it comes and goes at random. I've cleaned it before so I can't see much dust at all and the fan itself looks just fine to me. I've confirmed that it's not some other fan in the case, by placing the psu on the floor outside the case and turning it on.

How bad would it be if the PSU dies while in use? It's also modular but I don't remember the brand. Can I use modular molex cables from my current brand with a different brand? I'd hate to rewire everything :p

Edit: Actually, it's an old NorthQ Black Magic Flex 650W with a 135mm fan.
If it kicking the bucket I highly recommend you replace it now before it dies. Modular cables usually not cross compatible. OCZ ModxStream, BP550, Corsair Modular PSUs in order of price and quality.
Intel 320 reliability still trumps all? The pricing hasn't gone done ever though.
Yup. 320 still most reliable by about 10x.
How far can you OC a i7 2600K (3.8ghz) too?
Same as 2500K Looking at 4.2-4.5Ghz on sub 1.30V

mkenyon

Banned
My local computer shop just got a whole range of BitFenix cases in. Was the first time I was able to check out the Colossus and Shinobi in the flesh. That Shinobi is quite the looker. Colossus looks like it belongs in 2002.

The material they use to coat the front panel feels so good. It's like a really high quality rubbery plastic. That doesn't sound quite as nice as it feels though. The case definitely jumped up in my personal rankings.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Great! Is it recommended to go any further than 4.5Ghz?
I think I'd be able to push it to 4.7 or 4.8 with around the same voltage I have now.
I consider 4.4GHz to be the top average 24/7 safe end. Others might have different thoughts. If possible I would suggest keeping voltage at 1.25V, or 1.28V. 1.30 if you need it for a clock.

A lot run 4.5-4.8 no problems, but voltages are usually above 1.30V which doesn't sit too well with me personally although everyone seems to run 1.35V+

Something strange just happened. I was just reading the forums when suddenly my screen flashes and Windows turns off aero. I start checking things and see that my gpu activity is fluctuating wildly. Also the gpu clock and memory clock changed. So I now I'm starting to worry thinking that something has just broken when suddenly Windows switches aero back on and my gpu starts acting normal again. What just happened? Should I be worried?

gokieks

My local computer shop just got a whole range of BitFenix cases in. Was the first time I was able to check out the Colossus and Shinobi in the flesh. That Shinobi is quite the looker. Colossus looks like it belongs in 2002.

The material they use to coat the front panel feels so good. It's like a really high quality rubbery plastic. That doesn't sound quite as nice as it feels though. The case definitely jumped up in my personal rankings.

The Shinobi is a by far the best looking case in its price range IMO, but the cooling performance in its stock configuration does seem to leave a lot to be desired. But for a lower-end build w/o concern for OCing and the like, it seems like it'd be a very solid case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Something strange just happened. I was just reading the forums when suddenly my screen flashes and Windows turns off aero. I start checking things and see that my gpu activity is fluctuating wildly. Also the gpu clock and memory clock changed. So I now I'm starting to worry thinking that something has just broken when suddenly Windows switches aero back on and my gpu starts acting normal again. What just happened? Should I be worried?
It sounds like a display driver stopped working, then it recovered. I'm not positive.
I'd stress your GPU and see if it errors, roll back an overclock if it had one, and update your drivers.

It sounds like a display driver stopped working, then it recovered. I'm not positive.
I'd stress your GPU and see if it errors, roll back an overclock if it had one, and update your drivers.

I haven't overclocked. I have 2 5850s in crossfire. I have been playing a lot of Skyrim lately but don't think that would have caused it. I also just updated to 11.11c. I really hope nothing is wrong.

I'm in the market for a new monitor. I plan to use it for my PC and occasionally hook up my PS3.

I had my eye on the Dell U2312HM but it doesn't have an HDMI input. Ideally, I'd like an HDMI input and a headphone jack but I'm guessing those aren't very common on IPS panels. Alternatively I could run my computer on DP and use a DVI to HDMI adapter to get picture from the PS3 and use the composite cable to get my sound. That's gonna look pretty messy though.

Can I do better than that Dell for the price with HDMI/headphone built in or is that my best bet (mess included)?

so I feel pretty solid with my oc and my build. prime85 after 8 hours still running strong. Would it be worth it to try and overclock my HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB and/or my 16 gbs of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Also, I set up a similar build for my buddy yesterday and I have ran into a snag.

I ran intel burn test with this system and it was showing 98 degrees C. Thats almost 20 degrees more than what it should be at. His room that he has it in is a bit warmer but I am kind of worried by that test. I set up the oc to 4.5 ghz like I did mine. Should I think about RMA'ing his processor?

Smokey

My God...putting my machine into this 500r has been an exercise in frustration. Much more so than when I first did this months ago in my FT02. Shit just doesn't seem to work right. I've got everything in the case except my GPUs. Now it's the PSU connectors/cables that's the issue. Specifically the 8-pin. The only way to get to the connector on the mobo is to run the cable from PSU through the back and through a small opening in the upper left hand of the case. Ok...I get the cable up there and the two 4-pin connectors are impossible to plug in at the same time. I can get one of them into the socket, but the second one will not make it. Not to mention that the wiring for the connectors are very thick making it almost impossible to twist and turn for proper orientation. It seems the connectors are different lengths? The 4 pin that I am able to connect onto my mobo is longer than the one I am not.

Mad frustrating for something so damn simple. Thinking of just taking all these crap back and sticking with my FT02. I haven't been working on it continuously just because it's so irritating. This is worse than when I installed everything into the FT02 which by all accounts is supposed to be more difficult to work with because of it's layout.

vader_no.jpg

Make it happen bro :(

Smokey

Get yo shit done. I want to give you my monies dammit.
And so we can team up on pheeniks again.Love giving him a lead salad

Way shit is going I may leave it untouched throughout the week. Last thing I want to do is come home from work and have to worry about fighting with something trying to get it to work. Fuck man.

Smokey

Why did you drop the FT02 Smokey? We're a rare breed brah

The cooling mechanism goes against the exhaust on my 580 Lightnings. The FT02 is supposed to be used with cards with rear-exhaust out of the case. The Lightnings dump hot air into the case. The temps on my cards are not where they should be because of that. Playing at stock (832mhz) my temps are way higher than they should. Start OC'ing and temps get in the mid 80s. These are some of the most OC cards out. So rather than have $1,200 worth of GPUs not being used to their full potential I went out and got the 500r. I have been fighting with it since. Now it looks like I'll need some extensions or something since my PSU cable seems fucked up. My FT02 is still here looking at me. Very tempted to just throw it back in there.

mkenyon

Banned
My God...putting my machine into this 500r has been an exercise in frustration. Much more so than when I first did this months ago in my FT02. Shit just doesn't seem to work right. I've got everything in the case except my GPUs. Now it's the PSU connectors/cables that's the issue. Specifically the 8-pin. The only way to get to the connector on the mobo is to run the cable from PSU through the back and through a small opening in the upper left hand of the case. Ok...I get the cable up there and the two 4-pin connectors are impossible to plug in at the same time. I can get one of them into the socket, but the second one will not make it. Not to mention that the wiring for the connectors are very thick making it almost impossible to twist and turn for proper orientation. It seems the connectors are different lengths? The 4 pin that I am able to connect onto my mobo is longer than the one I am not.

Mad frustrating for something so damn simple. Thinking of just taking all these crap back and sticking with my FT02. I haven't been working on it continuously just because it's so irritating. This is worse than when I installed everything into the FT02 which by all accounts is supposed to be more difficult to work with because of it's layout.
Try hitting it with a heatgun or ambient heat from a lighter to soften up the plastic coating on the wires. Makes it buttery soft afterwards.

If the issue is not enough length, you can route the cable below your actual motherboard rather than the backpanel.

That little hole and the placement of the 8pin is the same for every case with cable management as a "feature". You just need to man up. The FT02 is more difficult to properly manage cables, not just to build in.

Besides, now that I recreated the Race Your PC thread, you need to pass up Hawk finally.

Smokey

Try hitting it with a heatgun or ambient heat from a lighter to soften up the plastic coating on the wires. Makes it buttery soft afterwards.

If the issue is not enough length, you can route the cable below your actual motherboard rather than the backpanel.

That little hole and the placement of the 8pin is the same for every case with cable management as a "feature". You just need to man up. The FT02 is more difficult to properly manage cables, not just to build in.

Besides, now that I recreated the Race Your PC thread, you need to pass up Hawk finally.

lol alright i will get on it in the morning :p

The length of the cable is fine I guess. It's the two 4 pin connectors that's causing issues.

What the hell does rear exhaust gpu look like?
Will I have the same issue with my 580?
I get in the low 80s OC'd when playing. Bf3

Edit. Ah misread. Rear exhaust out of the case.

mkenyon

Banned
What the hell does rear exhaust gpu look like?
Will I have the same issue with my 580?
I get in the low 80s OC'd when playing. Bf3
Most reference design cards draw air in from one end of the card, and exhaust the air through the rear of the case, like this one:

Image_00.jpg

Cards with non reference designs, like the MSI TFII or ASUS DCuII simply move a ton of air all over the heatsink with no direct exhaust outlet. This causes most of the air to be dumped into the case.

asus_gtx560_ti_dcii_top_01.jpg

These cards are thermally designed to work while mounted horizontally (normal mounting). I dont know the exact science behind it, but when mounted in the 90 degree fashion, the coolers just don't work properly. It's even in Silverstone's FAQ for the RV02/FT02/FT03.

*edit* Beaten!

The cooling mechanism goes against the exhaust on my 580 Lightnings. The FT02 is supposed to be used with cards with rear-exhaust out of the case. The Lightnings dump hot air into the case. The temps on my cards are not where they should be because of that. Playing at stock (832mhz) my temps are way higher than they should. Start OC'ing and temps get in the mid 80s. These are some of the most OC cards out. So rather than have $1,200 worth of GPUs not being used to their full potential I went out and got the 500r. I have been fighting with it since. Now it looks like I'll need some extensions or something since my PSU cable seems fucked up. My FT02 is still here looking at me. Very tempted to just throw it back in there.

Makes sense when you've got that much video card on the line. Hope you get your woes with the 500R worked out, it's a pretty spiffy case.

Smokey

I really like the 500r, hence why I bought it. Kenyon said I wasn't being a man so I need to fix that and try and make it work.

Most reference design cards draw air in from one end of the card, and exhaust the air through the rear of the case, like this one:

Image_00.jpg

Cards with non reference designs, like the MSI TFII or ASUS DCuII simply move a ton of air all over the heatsink with no direct exhaust outlet. This causes most of the air to be dumped into the case.

asus_gtx560_ti_dcii_top_01.jpg

These cards are thermally designed to work while mounted horizontally (normal mounting). I dont know the exact science behind it, but when mounted in the 90 degree fashion, the coolers just don't work properly. It's even in Silverstone's FAQ for the RV02/FT02/FT03.

*edit* Beaten!

correct me where im wrong, but since the ft02 is rotated 90degrees and having 3 intake fans on the bottom and 1 exhaust on top with an additional 2 creating a good open airflow?

forgot about this thread. my current rig's score is p8034. once i upgrade my ram and a better case. that first place slot for single Nvidia is mine.

Smokey

correct me where im wrong, but since the ft02 is rotated 90degrees and having 3 intake fans on the bottom and 1 exhaust on top with an additional 2 creating a good open airflow?

No.

The style of cards we have dump heat into the case. While there are 3 fans in the FT02, it's nothing but hot air circling around until it finds it's way out via one small 120mm exhaust fan. Combine that with a OC CPU and you can see my issues. As Kenyon mentioned for some reason when these type of cards are at a 90 degree position the cooler doesn't work as well.

UrbanRats

Help me GAF, need to build a new gaming rig for a friend:

What i thought of:
CPU: i5 2500k
Memory: ddr3 4gb ram
VGA: ati 6870 (or Nvidia 570).
PSU: corsair 600w (or 650?)

I need:
Motherboard.
Hard Disk.

The budget is 800€ (around 1000$) max.

No.

The style of cards we have dump heat into the case. While there are 3 fans in the FT02, it's nothing but hot air circling around until it finds it's way out via one small 120mm exhaust fan. Combine that with a OC CPU and you can see my issues. As Kenyon mentioned for some reason when these type of cards are at a 90 degree position the cooler doesn't work as well.

cant you install 3 140mm fans on top for better exhaust?

Smokey

cant you install 3 140mm fans on top for better exhaust?

No.

There's only a 120mm opening up top. The 3 180mm fans are all at the bottom. Well maybe I shouldn't say no since there's probably somebody out there who has modded the case to do whatever.

Why the fuck am I still awake? It's 5:30 :/

No.

There's only a 120mm opening up top. The 3 180mm fans are all at the bottom. Well maybe I shouldn't say no since there's probably somebody out there who has modded the case to do whatever.

Why the fuck am I still awake? It's 5:30 :/

well shit. this whole time i thought there was an optional 2nd and 3rd fans on top. i see your issue now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

While I like my 500r and think it's a great case for the $100 I paid for it, it seems like it would probably be a step down from a FT02 in most regards. Just curious why you went with that over something better, especially if you have so much already invested in GPUs (and presumably other parts, don't remember what else you had).

Also figured the FT02 would be bigger and require longer cables or whatever, but maybe it's just the case since my Seasonic 650W also seemed to have some short cables for this case. Corsair VX550 was fine though.

Help me GAF, need to build a new gaming rig for a friend:

What i thought of:
CPU: i5 2500k
Memory: ddr3 4gb ram
VGA: ati 6870 (or Nvidia 570).
PSU: corsair 600w (or 650?)

I need:
Motherboard.
Hard Disk.

The budget is 800€ (around 1000$) max.
You mean 6970, or maybe 560? 6870 and 570 are in different leagues, one costs roughly twice as much as the other.

I think the standard P8P67 Rev3.1 board looks great for the price. Not sure how much it is over there though.

For an HDD I'd go with a Samsung or WD (particularly Blacks), depending on what's available. Samsungs offer the best combination of price and performance, but it seems like they aren't available in a lot of places. Hitachi would probably be my third choice. Just avoid "Green" labeled drives and you should be fine on that.

UrbanRats

Yep, sorry, meant 560.
He primarily plays WoW (i don't have it, but i assume it isn't hard to run), but wanted to try out something else too; so i figured, something not extremely buff, but still very capable, was good enough (like a 6870 or a 560).

Anyhow, thanks for the MoBo/HDD, i'll put the list together and send it to him.

Smidget

Regarding videocards this was said:
·feist·;33069832 said:
There are some big, generational changes starting across the next 2-3 months.

I'm now willing to upgrade my budget to ~$200... preferably on eBay since I have a handful of gift cards for ~$100.

Powercolor 6870 for $160 shipped (I know it's only $140 after rebate on Newegg.com, but the eBay savings...).

Think it will fit in nicely with my i5-2500k, 16GB ram, 500W PSU... plus my motherboard has Crossfire support so when it starts getting slow, slap another one in there? :)

What's everyone's opinion? Will I just be left behind in the next 2-3 months or will this keep me playing for a while?

Minamu

If it kicking the bucket I highly recommend you replace it now before it dies. Modular cables usually not cross compatible. OCZ ModxStream, BP550, Corsair Modular PSUs in order of price and quality.
Thanks :) Christmas is coming up, maybe I'll get one then. Should probably look into getting a whole new pc, really.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding videocards this was said:

I'm now willing to upgrade my budget to ~$200... preferably on eBay since I have a handful of gift cards for ~$100.

Powercolor 6870 for $160 shipped (I know it's only $140 after rebate on Newegg.com, but the eBay savings...).

Think it will fit in nicely with my i5-2500k, 16GB ram, 500W PSU... plus my motherboard has Crossfire support so when it starts getting slow, slap another one in there? :)

What's everyone's opinion? Will I just be left behind in the next 2-3 months or will this keep me playing for a while?
For $200 I'd imagine you could get a used 560Ti, but I really don't know since I've never looked into used cards.

Wouldn't bother with Crossfire, your PSU isn't going to run two 6870s anyway so you would need to replace that and buy another card on top of it. One 6870 will probably last you while, it's a decent midrange card.

The manufacturer usually recommends a 500w PSU. You can try it with the 450w, and if it subsequently fails, buy a better one :)

Manufacturer recommendations are about the last things to consider if you can ask around, they take into account the fact that all PSUs aren't equal. Chances are the PC that card is going into will draw less than 400W, but a cheapo 400W or 450W PSU won't cut it because of low amps on the 12v rail.

Sarcasm

Manufacturer recommendations are about the last things to consider if you can ask around, they take into account the fact that all PSUs aren't equal. Chances are the PC that card is going into will draw less than 400W, but a cheapo 400W or 450W PSU won't cut it because of low amps on the 12v rail.

Haven't looked at his PC closely yet, how can I tell the quality of the PSU?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't looked at his PC closely yet, how can I tell the quality of the PSU?

Check the specs on the sticker, should tell you how many amps it can push over the 12v rails. That will be the biggest factor in determining whether or not it will actually power the card. (Edit: And if it has multiple rails the added amps aren't accurate, you can figure up the amps by dividing the watts for the combined rails by 12. Amps = watts / volts)

Beyond that it's just build quality. Brand can sometimes give you an indication there but if you want details you can search around for reviews. Johnnyguru is good for that, among other places.

JWong

Banned
Gah, I can't deal with a 160gb if I do buy an intel 320. Have to go 300gb, but their prices are $2 to a gig.

Is there any differences with the different capacity intel 320's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom