• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Sex. That is all

lol...well that pretty much sums it up....any more "detailed" info?

Also, still need someone to suggest some RAM for this mobo/3960x CPU. I dont need alot of ram, I am just gaming so 8gigs would be fine or even 16 since ram is not too expensive.

Smokey

lol...well that pretty much sums it up....any more "detailed" info?

Also, still need someone to suggest some RAM for this mobo/3960x CPU. I dont need alot of ram, I am just gaming so 8gigs would be fine or even 16 since ram is not too expensive.

16GB

RAM is pretty cheap if you're getting a 3960x you should be able to afford an extra 8 gigs :p

Could try and locate this guy - MSI Big Bang II X79

128GB of max supported RAM lol

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I bought the 128GB M4 and used THIS GUIDE to set it up, all in all pretty easy for Windows 7.

Thanks, I'll give it a read later.

Exciting news, some of my parts just arrived by UPS. Signed for it all and they're now sitting in my living room, waiting for the rest to arrive. One of the boxes is pretty huge, and I had to look at the order details to remember what was in it. The CPU, hard drive, "How could it be so big?" Oh yeah, and monitor. That 1080p's gonna be sweet! Shame I gotta wait the Blu-ray drive and power supply to get here next week most likely, and that SSD I just ordered. More time to get psyched up for the setup, I suppose.

Shit, I just remembered about the mail-in rebate for the graphics card. Gotta get on that so I can get my $9 back.

1-D_FTW

Thanks, I'll give it a read later.

Exciting news, some of my parts just arrived by UPS. Signed for it all and they're now sitting in my living room, waiting for the rest to arrive. One of the boxes is pretty huge, and I had to look at the order details to remember what was in it. The CPU, hard drive, "How could it be so big?" Oh yeah, and monitor. That 1080p's gonna be sweet! Shame I gotta wait the Blu-ray drive and power supply to get here next week most likely, and that SSD I just ordered. More time to get psyched up for the setup, I suppose.

Shit, I just remembered about the mail-in rebate for the graphics card. Gotta get on that so I can get my $9 back

Unless you have a current PC you're running it on, hold off on that. Once you cut the UPC out, you're stuck with it. If it's defective, you'll have to RMA it for a sloppy refurb. Hold off until you're sure it works.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Unless you have a current PC you're running it on, hold off on that. Once you cut the UPC out, you're stuck with it. If it's defective, you'll have to RMA it for a sloppy refurb. Hold off until you're sure it works.

But the rebate terms say it has to be postmarked by the 31st to be eligible, and the rest of the parts won't be here by tomorrow. Am I out $9?

Sethos

Banned
Looking to invest in another SSD which will be used for games. What 240-300GB range SSD is the the 'best' right now, from a performance / price perspective as well? Been eyeing Intel and the HyperX

scogoth

Looking to invest in another SSD which will be used for games. What 240-300GB range SSD is the the 'best' right now, from a performance / price perspective as well?

Samsung 830

Vertex 3 is cheaper but some people have issues with OCZ. (I have 3 no problems yet)

1-D_FTW

But the rebate terms say it has to be postmarked by the 31st to be eligible, and the rest of the parts won't be here by tomorrow. Am I out $9?

It's up to you. I'm just saying that once you cut the UPC from a box, you can't return it to the store you purchased it from. So you'll have to RMA it to the manufacturer and get a refurb back.

How long ago did you buy it? Usually they give you more than a couple days to submit a rebate. If you've had the card close to 30 days and it's out of the return window anyways, cut away. Otherwise, I'm just saying. Something to think about.

Hey all,

I'm building a budget PC for my Dad, he wants to be able to do "a bit of gaming" on it, but he doesn't have demanding standards for that and will mainly be doing word processing, browsing etc on it.

I've built once before -my own i2500k/6950 system about a year ago - but I'd appreciate you guys checking the build over and pointing out anything I've forgotten (apart from Windows 7, I've got that taken care of):

AtpdD.png

4GB of that RAM is for me (I barely need it, but this PC definitely won't!), so it's actually around £412 all in except for Windows.

Your thoughts are, as ever, appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Perfectly capable budget build.

Not sure if the WD Green head parking issues are fixed, any other HDD options?

Perfectly capable budget build.

Not sure if the WD Green head parking issues are fixed, any other HDD options?

Good, thanks.

Within £5-10 there's the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D, Seagate ST1000DM003, the Seagate ST1000DL002 (SATA 2 vs 3 I believe being the difference 'tween the last 2? For all the difference it makes with an HDD...). Are these any better?

I like this retailer, but the HDD range is poor.

Ketch

edit: NVM, I've taken this to techsupportGAF... =) sorry

Not sure if this is a good place to ask for help, but I did post about putting in a new gtx 560ti awhile back. (Which went way better then my first attempt at do it myself upgrading where I fried the mother board with static electricity)...

So everything was working fine for a couple months and now randomly, games that had no issues before are suffering from like missing textures, stretched pixels, freezing, etc... and it doesn't seem like there's any rhyme or reason... One day I'll play a game for hours and everything is cool and then the next there will be crazy graphical anomalies as soon as I turn it on....

sometimes they fix themselves if I alt-tab out and come back, other times I need to restart the pc, other times I can't seem to fix it at all until I try again later or the next day and everything is fine again.

I'm thinking maybe it's a heat issue (but my case isn't hot, the fans aren't going crazy) or maybe it's a power supply issues (but then why isn't it consistent?) or maybe there's a loose connection?

anyone have any ideas?.. point me in the right direction?

gate777

Planning on building this in the next month or so. Comments/suggestions welcome.

CPU- Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard- Asus P8Z68 V Gen 3 Socket 1155
Video Card- Asus HD7850 2GB
RAM- Corsair vengeance blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1.5V 1600
HDD- Seagate or Western Digital SATAIII 500GB
Optical Drive- Blu-ray writer internal
Power Supply- Cooler Master eXtreme power plus 600W (bought)
Case- Cooler Master HAF 912 (bought)

Hawk269

Looking to invest in another SSD which will be used for games. What 240-300GB range SSD is the the 'best' right now, from a performance / price perspective as well? Been eyeing Intel and the HyperX

What is the size of your current SSD? I have the Samsung 830 256gb SSD and it has been more than fine for me. I do use Steam-mover for games that really dont benefit much from using a SSD...I have about 30 Steam games and no way would they all fit on my SSD, so I looked into the steam-mover and it has worked out great for me so far. I just think that SSD's are still too pricey to not use a standard HDD along side with a SSD.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good, thanks.

Within £5-10 there's the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D, Seagate ST1000DM003, the Seagate ST1000DL002 (SATA 2 vs 3 I believe being the difference 'tween the last 2? For all the difference it makes with an HDD...). Are these any better?

I like this retailer, but the HDD range is poor.
Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge on recommending anything other than F3/F4 drives and WD Blacks. Now with supply shortage tons of older drives of all models and tech is being sold again.
How is this hard drive? It's on sale for $80, but the sale ends at midnight. The reviews have been all over the map

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item_upsell.asp?EdpNo=7331904&msg=

and this memory?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=91221&sku=P33-5310

I'll be using it with the h61 motherboard, and i3 2100.
You want 2x2GB sticks, but with prices as they are you should just get 2x4GB 1.5V
edit: NVM, I've taken this to techsupportGAF... =) sorry

Not sure if this is a good place to ask for help, but I did post about putting in a new gtx 560ti awhile back. (Which went way better then my first attempt at do it myself upgrading where I fried the mother board with static electricity)...

So everything was working fine for a couple months and now randomly, games that had no issues before are suffering from like missing textures, stretched pixels, freezing, etc... and it doesn't seem like there's any rhyme or reason... One day I'll play a game for hours and everything is cool and then the next there will be crazy graphical anomalies as soon as I turn it on....

sometimes they fix themselves if I alt-tab out and come back, other times I need to restart the pc, other times I can't seem to fix it at all until I try again later or the next day and everything is fine again.

I'm thinking maybe it's a heat issue (but my case isn't hot, the fans aren't going crazy) or maybe it's a power supply issues (but then why isn't it consistent?) or maybe there's a loose connection?

anyone have any ideas?.. point me in the right direction?
Update drivers. Plug and replug all power and the card itself. Downclock the card by 15% and see if errors still happen.
One step at a time.
Planning on building this in the next month or so. Comments/suggestions welcome.

CPU- Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard- Asus P8Z68 V Gen 3 Socket 1155
Video Card- Asus HD7850 2GB
RAM- Corsair vengeance blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1.5V 1600
HDD- Seagate or Western Digital SATAIII 500GB
Optical Drive- Blu-ray writer internal
Power Supply- Cooler Master eXtreme power plus 600W (bought)
Case- Cooler Master HAF 912 (bought)
Next month might want to see where the GTX 660/670 falls and if that does anything for GPU prices. Ivy Bridge as well.

Hawk269

Rethinking the whole 3960x CPU upgrade. Not because of money, but looking at some game benches, it will not net me pretty much anything. Looking at the review of the 3960x at Guru3d in some tests they did the fps was lower (just a tad) over my current 2600k cpu. It seems the main advantage for me would be benchmark scores such as 3dmark11...while I would love to have those higher scores at the end of the day to me is all about my FPS in gaming and based on what I am reading, the 3960x for gaming would not be much better than my current CPU.

Unless I am wrong and/or Guru3d was not accurate...I think I might just stick with what I have and call it a day. I would love to hear some feedback about this though, especially from some of our resident experts here on the forum.

Right now, I am thinking of just getting the Corsair 100 Water Cooling unit for my 2600k and up my OC to 4.8 or so (currently at 4.6).

Sethos

Banned
What is the size of your current SSD? I have the Samsung 830 256gb SSD and it has been more than fine for me. I do use Steam-mover for games that really dont benefit much from using a SSD...I have about 30 Steam games and no way would they all fit on my SSD, so I looked into the steam-mover and it has worked out great for me so far. I just think that SSD's are still too pricey to not use a standard HDD along side with a SSD.

60GB and it's one of the very first generation SSD. I don't play that many games, mostly simulators and they tend to have a metric ton of assets that needs to be loaded plus streamed objects, so they could really benefit from an SSD. And I do have plenty of standard HDDs on the side which I'll also be using for games, programs etc. but I just want a disc where I can install all my simulation <3

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
It's up to you. I'm just saying that once you cut the UPC from a box, you can't return it to the store you purchased it from. So you'll have to RMA it to the manufacturer and get a refurb back.

How long ago did you buy it? Usually they give you more than a couple days to submit a rebate. If you've had the card close to 30 days and it's out of the return window anyways, cut away. Otherwise, I'm just saying. Something to think about.

You're right, turns out I read it wrong. The terms specify the purchase of the qualifying items by the 31st, and the postmark within 30 days of that, so there's no rush at all. The only thing I have to worry about right now is waiting for a new W-2 in the mail to replace the one I lost a month ago.

Vlightray

Can someone give me the breakdown as to the difference between I7-2600 & I7-2600k.
I searched it up but they look to be the same thing or what?

HooYaH

Sigh, my 360 PC controller receiver just died. I'm wondering for those who has their receiver die ever used the F1 soldering fix. Don't really want to buy a new controller package just for a new receiver.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Sigh, my 360 PC controller receiver just died. I'm wondering for those who has their receiver die ever used the F1 soldering fix. Don't really want to buy a new controller package just for a new receiver.

You can buy one of those knockoff ones they sell on dealextreme. Check out eBay too. I don't think you have to buy a new controller just to get the receiver.

longdi

Banned
ah ok thanks. I don't usually overclock so should be ok.

i will get the k for $10 dollar more, add another $30 for cm 212 and you get 'free' extra 400-500mhz speedup...mild overclocking is simple and safe, should be encourage if you are building your own pc.

you see intel already charges $15 premium for 2700k over 2600k, and that is for only a 100mhz speedup..

doing the sum $40 for the extra 500mhz and quieter fan, it is more worth it in your rig and it has better resale value too.

Sethos

Banned
i will get the k for $10 dollar more, add another $30 for cm 212 and you get 'free' extra 400-500mhz speedup...mild overclocking is simple and safe, should be encourage if you are building your own pc.

you see intel already charges $15 premium for 2700k over 2600k, and that is for only a 100mhz speedup..

doing the sum $40 for the extra 500mhz and quieter fan, it is more worth it in your rig and it has better resale value too.

The new i5/i7s can easily do 1GHz without breaking a sweat or touching the voltage. I don't even like overclocking, I upped my i7 2600k to 4.5 day one with no extra voltage and the temp only went up a few degrees, never missed a beat and it's super stable.

Almost waste to need overclock these bad boys.

Sethos

Banned
Is the hyper 212+ enough to cool a 1090t if I overclock it to around 4.5?
Or should I go with a dual fan route?
Thinking of a noctua

You can slap two fans on the 212, just need an extra set of mounting brackets and a 92mm fan. Can't recall if it comes with the extra mounting brackets for another fan.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is the hyper 212+ enough to cool a 1090t if I overclock it to around 4.5?
Or should I go with a dual fan route?
Thinking of a noctua
I'm not super up to date, but I thought those topped around 4.0Ghz on sane voltages and petered massively out by 4.2Ghz. That puts out a lot of heat as well.

CM212+ is a great cooler, and dual fan setups provide very minimal benefit over single fan.

I'm not super up to date, but I thought those topped around 4.0Ghz on sane voltages and petered massively out by 4.2Ghz. That puts out a lot of heat as well.

CM212+ is a great cooler, and dual fan setups provide very minimal benefit over single fan.
Wow that's it?
I'm just looking to oc my nephews build to play dolphin games.
Hopefully that's enough to get skyward sword dolphin at rock solid 30fps

Sethos

Banned
Nice.
Thanks.
Does it have to be the same fan?
What secondary fan has peeps been using?

Using a Noctua fan from my old build, it doesn't really fit the black colour scheme so I might replace it.

zeu47.png

As Hazaro said though, the difference between single and dual fan is actually quite small, for the first few days after mounting the second fan, I thought I had turned it the wrong way considering the tiny heat drop but apparently it doesn't do too much.

I'm currently looking into buying a new monitor, having switched between my 32' LCD TV and a crummy old monitor with my PC up until now. I've seen a 23' LG TFT 3D monitor going for £145, and I'm considering it.

The main thing I'm looking into is whether there is a big, noticeable difference between 23' and 24' monitors? I know I don't really want anything bigger than that, since I want it to be relatively portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom