• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wow that's it?
I'm just looking to oc my nephews build to play dolphin games.
Hopefully that's enough to get skyward sword dolphin at rock solid 30fps
30fps usually isn't that hard to get, most people aim for 60. Though some games are very demanding.
Intel is much better for emulation.

-SD-

Banned
What 1920x1200 DVI IPS monitor would you guys recommend for me?

I'm an image quality guy, so this is what it definitely should have (in order of importance):

- as little light bleeding as possible
- deeeeeeep black levels
- virtually no ghosting
- excellent color reproduction.

My current monitor is a 19" CRT Samsung SyncMaster 959NF. I've been using it for about 9 years now. Have been a very satisfied user.

I don't have much knowledge of LCD monitors.

Sethos

Banned

I'm an image quality guy, so this is what it definitely should have (in order of importance):

- deeeeeeep black levels
- virtually no ghosting

My current monitor is a 19" CRT Samsung SyncMaster 959NF. I've been using it for about 9 years now. Have been a very satisfied user.

Personally I'm a big supporter of Dell monitors, look at their Ultrasharp series. I have the Dell 30" and an old WFP, never experienced any ghosting and the colours are amazing.

UwFm6.jpg

Is this a good deal?

Sigh, my 360 PC controller receiver just died. I'm wondering for those who has their receiver die ever used the F1 soldering fix. Don't really want to buy a new controller package just for a new receiver.

I successfully did that fix with a $10 CircuitWriter pen from Fry's. Still works fine 3 years later.

I do keep it plugged into a USB hub and not the motherboard itself, out of worry that without a fuse it might try to draw too much current and damage the mobo.

- deeeeeeep black levels
- virtually no ghosting

At that res there aren't that many available (which is sad because I like it too). I got a Dell U2412M a few months ago and have been really happy with it. I'm not enough of an image quality guy to know how well it fits your requirements, but I haven't noticed any ghosting or backlight bleeding at all.

Varna

Finally got my cooler installed. As I feared though, there is not even an inch of space between the two cards now. I do have another PCI-E slot I could use, but the card won't fit there with the PSU. I guess my only option is a bigger case... but I really love my current one. :(

Temps are better. Shaved off about 10C off my load temps which is still pretty good. Fans are pretty much silent and that's a HUGE plus.

mkenyon

Banned
Inch is plenty of space.

Rethinking the whole 3960x CPU upgrade. Not because of money, but looking at some game benches, it will not net me pretty much anything. Looking at the review of the 3960x at Guru3d in some tests they did the fps was lower (just a tad) over my current 2600k cpu. It seems the main advantage for me would be benchmark scores such as 3dmark11...while I would love to have those higher scores at the end of the day to me is all about my FPS in gaming and based on what I am reading, the 3960x for gaming would not be much better than my current CPU.

Unless I am wrong and/or Guru3d was not accurate...I think I might just stick with what I have and call it a day. I would love to hear some feedback about this though, especially from some of our resident experts here on the forum.

Right now, I am thinking of just getting the Corsair 100 Water Cooling unit for my 2600k and up my OC to 4.8 or so (currently at 4.6).
Oh, this was for games only? Yeah, only reason to go SB-E is if you're doing multimedia stuff. Just get a killer SB motherboard for tri GPUs since you were going that route. Could get crazy and get into watercooled stuff as well.

Ledsen

The new i5/i7s can easily do 1GHz without breaking a sweat or touching the voltage. I don't even like overclocking, I upped my i7 2600k to 4.5 day one with no extra voltage and the temp only went up a few degrees, never missed a beat and it's super stable.

Almost waste to need overclock these bad boys.

Same here, only with my 2500k. All I did was change a number in the BIOS from 33 to 45 and poof! 4.5 GHz completely stable in prime95/IBT.

30fps usually isn't that hard to get, most people aim for 60. Though some games are very demanding.
Intel is much better for emulation.

Skyward Sword is a 30 fps game, that's all you get at 100% speed. You can't up the framerate of a game through Dolphin.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a laptop in the 800-1100 price range that can run modern games pretty well?
First line of the OP:

*Visit out friends at Laptop-GAF

Finally got my cooler installed. As I feared though, there is not even an inch of space between the two cards now. I do have another PCI-E slot I could use, but the card won't fit there with the PSU. I guess my only option is a bigger case... but I really love my current one. :(

Temps are better. Shaved off about 10C off my load temps which is still pretty good. Fans are pretty much silent and that's a HUGE plus.
Congrats on the improvement, but why is your PSU fan facing upward? Even if you're on carpet, you can still get air to it. Facing upwards leads to airflow competition with your GPU, and more dust settling inside.

Varna

Inch is plenty of space.

That's the thing. I don't have an inch. :(

·feist·;36526313 said:
Congrats on the improvement, but why is your PSU fan facing upward? Even if you're on carpet, you can still get air to it. Facing upwards leads to airflow competition with your GPU, and more dust settling inside.

Hm. Never actually thought of that. I will swap it out and see if it improves anything.

The lack of space is definitely an issue.

Top card 75+ during Heaven benchmark
Bottom Card 55

(probably doesn't help that it's pushing 100+ FPS)

·feist·;36296373 said:
CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0 version) -vs- non-USB 3.0 differences
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32710728&postcount=17226
CM 690 II Advanced Black & White Edition
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34569406&postcount=2502

old 690 ii:
CM690II-Adv_02.jpg

new 690 ii:
top3.jpg

You lose the larger CPU cutout, and cable grommets, but there's a simple solution to that, if it's a big deal to you.

$55 case + $10 grommets + $17 USB 3.0 full case top panel (again, only if you need it) = ~$82. Or, roughly $0-20 less than a factory USB 3.0 revised 690 II (depending on where you buy it), and you "save" the $15 CM charges for the GPU bracket accessory kit that USB 3.0 owners would need to buy.

I wanted to follow up on this post. I went ahead and bought it (the old USB2.0 version) for $60 after rebate, and was pleasantly surprised that despite your pics and Newegg's pics, the one I got has the larger CPU cutout and the rubber grommets and looks like the "new 690II" pic above, as well as comes with the GPU holder. The only thing that seems to be missing is the USB3.0 top panel, which like you said can be ordered separately. So it seems CM is shipping the updated case in both versions, USB3.0 and USB2.0.

Now to wait till Ivy Bridge and a more reasonably priced Kepler. :/

Varna

Flipping the PSU helped a bit.

Tried the Heaven benchmark again... everything max, frame-rate unlocked and it eventually hit 80 (55 on GPU2). So in these kind of situations it's only doing moderately better then stock cooler performance wise. Thing is pretty much silent though. Eventually I guess I'll just go for a bigger tower so I can use that bottom PCI-E slot and get some better airflow.

mkenyon

Banned
So, though it's doing "moderately" better than stock coolers, it's silent, which is a huge improvement, right?

So up the fan speed to where your stock coolers would be dB-wise and see how well it does then.

Also, what kind of case you have, what is the airflow situation like, and what kind of fans do you have in there? Also looks like you could tidy it up quite a bit to help with airflow.

Also, what kind of case you have, what is the airflow situation like, and what kind of fans do you have in there?
Going to guess, and say... Corsair 500R, with top HDD cage removed? White?

Whichever case it is, IIRC, he said he had most/all optional fan slots filled, but didn't specify intake, or exhaust.

I wanted to follow up on this post. I went ahead and bought it (the old USB2.0 version) for $60 after rebate, and was pleasantly surprised that despite your pics and Newegg's pics, the one I got has the larger CPU cutout and the rubber grommets and looks like the "new 690II" pic above, as well as comes with the GPU holder. The only thing that seems to be missing is the USB3.0 top panel, which like you said can be ordered separately. So it seems CM is shipping the updated case in both versions, USB3.0 and USB2.0.

Now to wait till Ivy Bridge and a more reasonably priced Kepler. :/
Nice. I should've been clearer. If you look at the first 3.0 link I posted, it shows that on the box there's a picture denoting which version of the revised 690 II is inside. To be on the safe side, and knowing that lots of retailers still have stock of the non-revised USB 2.0s, I used that as a baseline.

TxdoHawk

So, it's time. I've got a nice fat stack of cash coming in next month, and my C2D system isn't getting any younger.

My goal is a relatively cheap i5 system that has a nice easy path of upgrades.

CPU: i5 2500k. CPU upgrades aren't my cup of tea, so something I can overclock and rely on for awhile sounds good. $180 from Micro Center.

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 seems well-liked so I am leaning toward that at $122.

RAM: Going to blow $30 on 4GB of whatever sticks happen to be on sale the week I pull the trigger. I run Windows 7 in 32-bit and don't see the need for more.

Graphics: Re-using a 8800GT from my old system. Current monitor is 1920x1080 so I want to stall on this purchase for now, and slap in something nice in a month or two. $0

Storage: Using the drives from my previous system, $0.

Power: XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W, in anticipation of a semi-beefy graphics card being slotted into this machine, $50.

Case: This I need help on. I want something cheap, no or very few obnoxious LEDs. Durability preferred over flashy looks. A plain black case would be ideal, preferably $60 or under. Antec 300?

Optical drive: Some cheap $20 DVD-RW job, my current drive is flaky.

Sound: Onboard. $0

So that totals out to about $462. I figure sometime after that I will slap in a nice video card for around $250, and be set. Any problems with this plan?

Smokey

Upgraded my BIOS and decided to OC my chip. I'm following a guide over at Overclock.net to do so. Here were the preliminary steps:

To be set before starting overclock

On ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard, hopefully the names for voltage settings etc wont be too different across motherboards.

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
BCLK/PEG frequency - 100 (Never Change this)
Turbo Ratio - By All Cores
EPU Power Saving Mode - Disable
VRM Frequency - Manual and 350
CPU Current Capability - 140%
CPU PLL Overvoltage - Disabled
Load-Line Calibration - Ultra High
Phase Control/Duty Control - Extreme

NOTICE: Please use Manual CPU Vcore whilst stress testing until you have found your stable amount, this helps to keep the voltage stable and rules that out as a possible caus of instability if you are having problems. After testing and when you have found your stable vcore, switch to Offset voltage for reduced power use,

Make sure you set cpu vcore to manual and enter the correct amount of vcore, do NOT use 'Auto' voltage as this can use voltages like its going out of fashion (mine decided 1.504v was a good idea )

Now for the Voltages

CPU Voltage - Set to 1.20v which is stock CPU voltage for now
DRAM Voltage - 1.65/1.50 etc as per your memory module label
VCCSA - Auto
VCCIO - Auto
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
PCH Voltage - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Enabled
CPU configurations

CPU Ratio - Auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor - Enabled
Active Processor Cores - All
Limit CPUID Maximum - Disabled
Execute Disable Bit - Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology - AFAIK This is only necessary for F@H on a 2500k
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology - Enabled
Turbo Mode - Enabled
CPU C1E - Enabled/Auto
CPU C3 Report - Auto
CPU C6 Report - Auto

I started at 1.2v @4ghz as they suggested and also ran the Prime95 test with their recommended settings:
Custom, 1344 FFT - 1344FT, Available ram use all your ram but leave 1.5GB (1GB for windows and 500mb spare), and set cycles to 1 minutes. So it should look like this:

If you can pass 15-20 mins of this test, restart the tortue test and use 1792 - 1792 for the FFT size. Agaian do this for 15-20 mins.

If you can do both these tests, you have a good indication of the cpu being stable, and you can either go ahead and do an overnight p95 blend test if you want full stability, or increase the CPU multiplier.

Currently set at 1.26v:

45OC.png

Are these numbers in the pic looking good so far? I need to do the second test that they recommend, but I was just curious as to how it was looking so far (from those with more OC experience).

Varna

·feist·;36530678 said:
Going to guess, and say... Corsair 500R, with top HDD cage removed? White?

Whichever case it is, IIRC, he said he had most/all optional fan slots filled, but didn't specify intake, or exhaust.

You are correct.

I have a pretty normal fan setup.

Intake : Two 120mm fans in the front. One 200mm fan on the side.
Exhaust: One 120mm fan on the back, two 80mm fans on the top.

Sethos

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but did you go through all of that just to push that 2600k to 4.5? It'll do 4.5 at the change of one number, not touching anything else - Increasing the voltage isn't even required.

EDIT: Oh you set voltage manually at a lower number. I'm so tired, that's a good idea.

Smokey

Correct me if I'm wrong but did you go through all of that just to push that 2600k to 4.5? It'll do 4.5 at the change of one number, not touching anything else - Increasing the voltage isn't even required.

EDIT: Oh you set voltage manually at a lower number. I'm so tired, that's a good idea.

Yes I manually set it at 1.26v. The temps seem kind of high to me though for that voltage...

Sethos

Banned
Replicated your settings on my 2600k and while it does run cooler idle now and it seems to work, running a Prime95 results in a BSOD - Dang.

Smokey

Replicated your settings on my 2600k and while it does run cooler idle now and it seems to work, running a Prime95 results in a BSOD - Dang.

hmm

maybe i got a nice chip! It's running the 2nd prime test now. temps maxing out a 61c

what test did you try in p95? blend?

Sethos

Banned
hmm

maybe i got a nice chip! It's running the 2nd prime test now. temps maxing out a 61c

what test did you try in p95? blend?

Yeah, Blend.

Got a BSOD called "a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval" sounds scary ...

EDIT: Went back to my standard OC, works fine. My load temperatures are almost identical to yours, some cores are a tad lower, third one is almost 8 degrees higher.
Will need to look up some OC settings on my motherboard, find a lower voltage settings and see some decreased temps.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1.26V for those clocks is above average.
Try 1.35V and work your way down if that is stable.

My 2500K doesn't clock super great.

Also you should be using offset voltage after you find the voltage it works at. Seems just as stable, but lower power at idle.

You are correct.

I have a pretty normal fan setup.

Intake : Two 120mm fans in the front. One 200mm fan on the side.
Exhaust: One 120mm fan on the back, two 80mm fans on the top.
Kreskin Casekin? Bold = que? Those should at least be 120mm, or 140mm, if they're going to be populated.
Thought you said you also had fans on the motherboard side of the HDD rack, like I had suggested? For starters, reverse your side fan, and then monitor idle/load results - CPU included. Your GPUs went from external, to internal exhaust. Unfortunately, Corsair's 200mm fans are fairly crap, though it's still worth giving it a shot. Take note of ambient as much as you can. If you have spare 120mm fans around, try placing one in the floor fan opening (intake), and also at the leading edge of where your top HDD cage would be. Motherboard side, so test it by quickly zip/twist-tying it there (like this, or this). It will act as an air guide for the front fan. You can try both bottom, and "invisible HDD cage" mount, one at a time, or simultaneously. If the two fans are high speed, try one of them undervolted/slowed down. You may also be a candidate for (partial) reverse air flow.

McHuj

Case: This I need help on. I want something cheap, no or very few obnoxious LEDs. Durability preferred over flashy looks. A plain black case would be ideal, preferably $60 or under. Antec 300?
I bought the bitfenix shinobi for about 60 on sale from ncix. Case is awesome. Quiet, pretty much solid black, and everything is tool free. For the price, I'm very happy with it.

Smokey

1.26V for those clocks is above average.
Try 1.35V and work your way down if that is stable.

My 2500K doesn't clock super great.

Also you should be using offset voltage after you find the voltage it works at. Seems just as stable, but lower power at idle.

Ran the 2nd test they recommended ("If you can pass 15-20 mins of this test, restart the tortue test and use 1792 - 1792 for the FFT size. Agaian do this for 15-20 mins") for about 45 minutes and as I mentioned max temps were 61. My idle temps are higher though..about 35c across all 4 cores. I'm assuming this is because I set it manually and even though the processor downclocks to 1600mhz, the voltage stays the same. What's the way to re-mediate this? Offset voltage? Don't really understand how that works though kind of weird...

If I go to 4.6 what's the best way to handle voltage? Leave it be and see if it is stable or bump it up a few notches (1.28-1.30)?

scogoth

Ran the 2nd test they recommended ("If you can pass 15-20 mins of this test, restart the tortue test and use 1792 - 1792 for the FFT size. Agaian do this for 15-20 mins") for about 45 minutes and as I mentioned max temps were 61. My idle temps are higher though..about 35c across all 4 cores. I'm assuming this is because I set it manually and even though the processor downclocks to 1600mhz, the voltage stays the same. What's the way to re-mediate this? Offset voltage? Don't really understand how that works though kind of weird...

If I go to 4.6 what's the best way to handle voltage? Leave it be and see if it is stable or bump it up a few notches (1.28-1.30)?

Go 1.55V and max multiplier plus 5Mhz Block OC. Do it.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, 1.33 seems stable and I used all the settings Smokey posted. Idle the temps dropped almost 5* on some cores, down to 33 but once I prime them, the volt goes over 1.4xx and some of the numbers hit 70, which is more than auto voltage - Why? Shouldn't it stick to 1.33 voltage or at least in that area or is it because I've give it so much leeway with all the settings?

EDIT: God damn, nevermind. Went back to the BIOS and it had set some completely random settings, looked like Auto OC settings ( Which I certainly didn't use! )

1-D_FTW

So, it's time. I've got a nice fat stack of cash coming in next month, and my C2D system isn't getting any younger.

My goal is a relatively cheap i5 system that has a nice easy path of upgrades.

CPU: i5 2500k. CPU upgrades aren't my cup of tea, so something I can overclock and rely on for awhile sounds good. $180 from Micro Center.

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 seems well-liked so I am leaning toward that at $122.

RAM: Going to blow $30 on 4GB of whatever sticks happen to be on sale the week I pull the trigger. I run Windows 7 in 32-bit and don't see the need for more.

Graphics: Re-using a 8800GT from my old system. Current monitor is 1920x1080 so I want to stall on this purchase for now, and slap in something nice in a month or two. $0

Storage: Using the drives from my previous system, $0.

Power: XFX ProSeries P1-450S-X2B9 450W, in anticipation of a semi-beefy graphics card being slotted into this machine, $50.

Optical drive: Some cheap $20 DVD-RW job, my current drive is flaky.

Sound: Onboard. $0

So that totals out to about $462. I figure sometime after that I will slap in a nice video card for around $250, and be set. Any problems with this plan?

Sounds like you're describing the HAF 912 to me.

Sethos

Banned
So how does offset voltage work. You set something manually, test it out, go back into BIOS and set it to offset - That has your manual voltage registered, you choose "minus" offset and perhaps do a number of say, 0.310 meaning that's the amount of voltage it can go down while in, say, idle?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So how does offset voltage work. You set something manually, test it out, go back into BIOS and set it to offset - That has your manual voltage registered, you choose "minus" offset and perhaps do a number of say, 0.310 meaning that's the amount of voltage it can go down while in, say, idle?
IIRC, It auto compensates voltage based on speed.

So if 4200MHz is 1.300V and you want it to run at 1.280V

Then you set:
Offset (-)
0.020V

The benefit is that offset allows voltage to change so at idle your CPU will be 1600MHz @ 1.00V instead of 1.30V.

n0n44m

no it's a bit more complicated : SB cpu's don't have a fixed voltage on the auto setting, because of all the downclocking when idle and other energy saving features. Also once you start overclocking I believe the auto voltage increases as well. The offset basically takes this same voltage as the auto voltage, but then increases or decreases that voltage according to the offset you select. So with my positive offset I increase both my voltage under idle AND load scenarios (which is a good thing because it mainly crashed on idle without the offset)

Basically it just involves quite a bit of trial and error, and always check the voltage using monitoring apps and stress tests to ensure your offset works as intended.
I saw a 1.6ish voltage once :p that's why it says this in the link you posted "Make sure you set cpu vcore to manual and enter the correct amount of vcore, do NOT use 'Auto' voltage as this can use voltages like its going out of fashion (mine decided 1.504v was a good idea )"

I can already warn you that these two

Load-Line Calibration - Ultra High
Phase Control/Duty Control - Extreme

do NOT play nice with offset

all the other settings on my p8p67 pro are the same, except for those two because I'm using an offset that nets me around 1.40v under load (4.8 ghz 2600K, you don't want to run such a voltage on an aircooler though). Also for 4.8 you'll need to enable PLL Overvoltage which will disable your systems ability to resume from sleep/hibernate (without crashing)

nice :) with my single accelero having a side fan on outtake duty helped a lot; I could feel the hot air coming out when gaming lol

I'd try to get another fan in front of the 2 cards to force in cool air between them from the front, then flip the side fan on your case to take the hot air out

Varna

Your a genius ·feist·!

That air guide fan really did wonders. Temps in Heaven went down from 80 to 70. I was also mistaken, my top exhaust fans are 120mm.

nice :) with my single accelero having a side fan on outtake duty helped a lot; I could feel the hot air coming out when gaming lol

I'd try to get another fan in front of the 2 cards to force in cool air between them from the front, then flip the side fan on your case to take the hot air out

Hm. I'll be trying that next.

Sethos

Banned
Hmmm, it all does sound a bit confusing. Let's pretend I found the sweet spot of 1.33 manual voltage for my overclock. now I need to set the offset. What kind of ranges should I play with, are we talking tiny amounts? If I set it to (-) 0.100, does that mean it'll throttle down to 1.23 ( ish ) when idle and the throttle back up when in use?

Also, it doesn't seem speedstep is working much at all right now, seem to be permanently stuck on my overclock and not hitting the 1.6GHz at all, how come? ( It is enabled )

EDIT: I did actually set my offset to (-) 0.100 and tried running Prime. It stays at 1.2xx while running but it doesn't BSOD, which it usually did at anything under 1.3

oKtJl.png

( This is during Prime )

I'm confused now.

Your a genius ·feist·!

That air guide fan really did wonders. Temps in Heaven went down from 80 to 70. I was also mistaken, my top exhaust fans are 120mm.
Very nice. If you have time, or like to tweak you can keep tooling about, and taking note of the results, to see how much cooler, or quieter you can eventually get your build down to.

Hm. I'll be trying that next.
*cough*

·feist· said:
[..]

For starters, reverse your side fan, and then monitor idle/load results - CPU included. Your GPUs went from external, to internal exhaust. Unfortunately, Corsair's 200mm fans are fairly crap, though it's still worth giving it a shot. Take note of ambient as much as you can.

[...]

n0n44m

Hmmm, it all does sound a bit confusing. Let's pretend I found the sweet spot of 1.33 manual voltage for my overclock. now I need to set the offset. What kind of ranges should I play with, are we talking tiny amounts? If I set it to (-) 0.100, does that mean it'll throttle down to 1.23 ( ish ) when idle and the throttle back up when in use?

Also, it doesn't seem speedstep is working much at all right now, seem to be permanently stuck on my overclock and not hitting the 1.6GHz at all, how come? ( It is enabled )

EDIT: I did actually set my offset to (-) 0.100 and tried running Prime. It stays at 1.2xx while running but it doesn't BSOD, which it usually did at anything under 1.3

I'm confused now.

start with offset (positive or negative) set to ZERO and see if that is stable

stable => go play with negative offset to decrease energy consumption

unstable => go play with positive offset until you get it stable. I'd take steps of .1 volt.

I always stressed when checking for the right voltage by using Prime 95 set to blend -> custom with around 6 of my 8 gb of memory used. Guess the integrated memory controller on my cpu is most sensitive to voltage.

also I warn you that you may see stability under stress, but that it will BSOD once you are just browsing or something like that. That would be due to the voltage dropping too much when idle, whereas the load voltage is still OK. In that case you'd need to increase your offset (or use a positive one).

as for the speedstep ... dunno that should still work :p sure there are no applications running?

Varna

·feist·;36534517 said:
Very nice. If you have time, or like to tweak you can keep tooling about, and taking note of the results, to see how much cooler, or quieter you can eventually get your build down to.

*cough*

Definitely going to pick up a better 200mm and 120mm.
Reversing the side fan didn't really help much. Same temps, higher idle and slower cool down.

Hawk269

Inch is plenty of space.

Oh, this was for games only? Yeah, only reason to go SB-E is if you're doing multimedia stuff. Just get a killer SB motherboard for tri GPUs since you were going that route. Could get crazy and get into watercooled stuff as well.

What Motheboard would you recommend for my 2600k? Looking at my P67 it is nice, but I am thinking if I ever want to go 3xSLI then I would need a new board cause I dont think my crrent can pull i off.

Smokey

start with offset (positive or negative) set to ZERO and see if that is stable

stable => go play with negative offset to decrease energy consumption

unstable => go play with positive offset until you get it stable. I'd take steps of .1 volt.

I always stressed when checking for the right voltage by using Prime 95 set to blend -> custom with around 6 of my 8 gb of memory used. Guess the integrated memory controller on my cpu is most sensitive to voltage.

also I warn you that you may see stability under stress, but that it will BSOD once you are just browsing or something like that. That would be due to the voltage dropping too much when idle, whereas the load voltage is still OK. In that case you'd need to increase your offset (or use a positive one).

as for the speedstep ... dunno that should still work :p sure there are no applications running?

Soo......if I'm at 1.26 now and I am set at manual it stays there regardles...what do I need to get it to use a lower voltage at idle? What offset would I do?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
IIRC, It auto compensates voltage based on speed.

Set Offeset to 0.000V. Set speed to 4200MHz.
So, if 4200MHz is 1.300V -> and you want it to run at 1.280V

Then you set:
Offset (-)
0.020V

The benefit is that offset allows voltage to change so at idle your CPU will be 1600MHz @ 1.00V instead of 1.30V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom