• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

froliq

I'll confess to my complete ignorance here; since my motherboard says "MicroATX," am I not obligated to buy a MicroATX case as well? Or am I being a complete noob and there is some compatibility between the two?

You can put mATX motherboards in ATX cases. They come with enough holes to mount either an ATX or mATX motherboard.

I'll confess to my complete ignorance here; since my motherboard says "MicroATX," am I not obligated to buy a MicroATX case as well? Or am I being a complete noob and there is some compatibility between the two?
Nope. Only if you specifically want to. The converse would be correct: If you bought an ATX motherboard, you wouldn't want to pair it with an mATX case, unless you're handy at cutting/modding.

edit: distractions, distractions

So with the cost of building my own PC balooning up, I started looking at pre-built PCs.

I found this one:

i5- 2500
HD6670
8GB DDR3
Asrock h61M
430W power supply
AZZA Solaris Mid Tower Case
1 TB HDD
Window 7

This is on sale for $750 (from $854). With shipping, it will come to about $900.

I know the graphics card isn't amazing, but the rest of the package is really good.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227387

That is an enormous ripoff.

scogoth

So with the cost of building my own PC balooning up, I started looking at pre-built PCs.

I found this one:

i5- 2500
HD6670
8GB DDR3
Asrock h61M
430W power supply
AZZA Solaris Mid Tower Case
1 TB HDD
Window 7

This is on sale for $750 (from $854). With shipping, it will come to about $900.

I know the graphics card isn't amazing, but the rest of the package is really good.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227387

2500k with h61 chipset is a waste of money. That's really disapiointing to see ibuypower intentionally ripping of their customers.

Edit: beaten. Damn it boobs go play some bf3

I
Holy shit a 7900GS? Where they hell did they get that from?
I'd drop in a 6870 for best value probably a new power supply.

haha i think my friend just had one lying around somewhere and put it in. the computer itself came with integrated graphics. he also put in a 450 watt power supply for me. thanks for the good news!

Smokey

Thanks. Every time I think I'm close to cracking this PC thing, I learn something new. I'll just stick to the budget builds in the OP.
Take a month or so to really research. Start with the budget build as you mentioned and read reviews on the parts to get a better understanding of where your money is going. After a while you will start to get more comfortable and the process becomes much more fun.

This is one of the best threads on gaf ..should you need help building people in here will help.

NoRéN

Think I got a bad refurb with this router (E1200). Can't set it up, it's not being detected over ethernet. At first I thought it was because I was doing it through a switch, but directly connecting with the laptop didn't make any difference. Not detected.

Shouldn't matter. I don't recall any models of the PS3 or 360 even having USB3.

Oddly enough, I recently purchased an E1200. Kept dropping connection both on wired and ethernet. It would reset itself alot. Returned it and bought a refurb E2500 off amazon. It's been great. No problems so far.

Okay, so based on feedback I've updated the PSU and case. I stuck with a mid-tower (the smaller form factor was what I was after in the first place). I've underlined changes.
NewEgg link: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14149629

MB: ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz
GPU: HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Memory: Crucial 2x 4GB
HDD: Recertified Western Digital WD10EADS 1TB
Sound: Xonar DG
PSU: CORSAIR CX430 V2 430W
Case: NZXT Source 210 S210-001 ATX Mid Tower

With a run-of-the-mill DVD burner and a copy of Windows 7, that comes to about $700 (before shipping). That feels about right with what I was hoping to spend; I'll spend some time looking around for some other deals, but I'll probably make the order this weekend to make sure it's all ready for assembly next weekend.

I asked about mice earlier; I think I'll go find a Best Buy or some sort of other store where I can actually get some hands on before ordering. I'm kinda picky about mice, so even if a mouse comes highly recommended I think I need actually grab it before buying.

Can someone help me? I started hooking up my computer to my TV through HDMI and I updated the driver recently and now it won't display at all. I just keeps flipping between 2 resolutions my tv doesn't support.

Oddly enough, if I connect through DVI it's fine and then connect HDMI as a second monitor and change the resolution to something my TV can handle but then afterwards disconnect the DVI, it goes back to a black screen flipping between two resolutions it can't handle. I also tried booting into safe mode which it did fine and then setting it at a lower resolution and rebooting and it still goes to a black screen switching resolutions after the "starting windows" screen. Anyone know what's up that it's constantly trying those 2 resolutions rather than what I had before? Thanks.

Built my PC, waiting to get a GTX680:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
MOBO: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W
FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
DVD: Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA
CASE: Antec 300
HDD: 320GB SATA HDD
MONITOR: ASUS VW246H

The cooler was the trickiest part for me. I'm getting around 30C, 31C, 29C, 28C temps idling using Realtemp. Are the temps okay or should I reapply paste and reset the cooler? I was reading that there is a flaw with the pin that allows the heatsink to wiggle/move around when installing. I also put the paste on the Heatsink and not the CPU per the instructions. It did come with 2 install guides that were slightly different.

Varna

Holy shit. There fucken screws holding the 580GTX together are ridiculous. Two more to go and I think they are almost too stripped to retrieve... This is probably the harder PC related thing I've ever had to do... fucken screws!

Duress

My modular power supply came with a 2x 6 + 2 pin connectors. I've connected the two 6 pins to my 460 GTX. Am I supposed to do something with the 2 pin connectors?

MrBig

Can someone help me? I started hooking up my computer to my TV through HDMI and I updated the driver recently and now it won't display at all. I just keeps flipping between 2 resolutions my tv doesn't support.

Oddly enough, if I connect through DVI it's fine and then connect HDMI as a second monitor and change the resolution to something my TV can handle but then afterwards disconnect the DVI, it goes back to a black screen flipping between two resolutions it can't handle. I also tried booting into safe mode which it did fine and then setting it at a lower resolution and rebooting and it still goes to a black screen switching resolutions after the "starting windows" screen. Anyone know what's up that it's constantly trying those 2 resolutions rather than what I had before? Thanks.

Try setting it through your video card drivers instead of windows. I switch between a VGA monitor and a HDMI TV in addition to my primary all the time and have had no such issues after setting a custom resolution through the nvidia settings.

Hey everyone i was wondering which graphics card would be the better buy

a Radeon HD 6870 or a GTX 560 Ti

the most i could squeeze out is about $250 and the highest resolution i might go is 1600 * 1200 (going lower than that is also fine by me).

Try setting it through your video card drivers instead of windows. I switch between a VGA monitor and a HDMI TV in addition to my primary all the time and have had no such issues after setting a custom resolution through the nvidia settings.

Nope, still doesn't work. It keeps switching between 1680x1050 @59hz and 1440x576 @60hz and won't put out an image...

Hawk269

Future plans....need some questions answered.

With Ivy Bridge coming soon, based on what has been talked about will the top end Ivy Bridge outpeform the I73960X? I have 2x680's that are PCI 3.0 and eventually I will be going to a motherboard that supports 3.0. So was wondering what the best set up would be and Ivy Bridge CPU or the 3960x?

I am not too concerned with price, I am just looking for what will give me the best performance between Ivy and 3960x.

Thanks to anyone that can answer.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

With Ivy Bridge coming soon, based on what has been talked about will the top end Ivy Bridge outpeform the I73960X? I have 2x680's that are PCI 3.0 and eventually I will be going to a motherboard that supports 3.0. So was wondering what the best set up would be and Ivy Bridge CPU or the 3960x?

I am not too concerned with price, I am just looking for what will give me the best performance between Ivy and 3960x.

Ivy Bridge is only 4C/8T.
New bump in performance is Ivy Bridge - E

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I did not know that there would be a Ivy Bridge - E as well. Ok...well that changes some plans then. What type of motherboard will these new Ivy Bridg CPU's use?
At least compat on SB-E boards iirc. Not sure if they are going to roll out new ones.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Hey everyone i was wondering which graphics card would be the better buy

a Radeon HD 6870 or a GTX 560 Ti

the most i could squeeze out is about $250 and the highest resolution i might go is 1600 * 1200 (going lower than that is also fine by me).

These benchmark ratings say that the 560 Ti has an edge over the 6870. Both of them can do up to 2560x1600, so it'll probably come down to if you're willing to spend about $60 more for performance. I went with a 6870 because I hear it's pretty good and isn't super expensive. If you're trying to save money, you might want to look at that one.

EDIT: Just ordered the Crucial M4 64GB SSD on Newegg. All I have to do now is wade through pages of text on how to properly install the system on it.

scogoth

IB-E I don't think will be out till Q4. This a gaming rig or workstation? 4C will be more than enough gamin and IB will provided about 15% performance increase over SB core for core.

Fonz72

These benchmark ratings say that the 560 Ti has an edge over the 6870. Both of them can do up to 2560x1600, so it'll probably come down to if you're willing to spend about $60 more for performance. I went with a 6870 because I hear it's pretty good and isn't super expensive. If you're trying to save money, you might want to look at that one.

EDIT: Just ordered the Crucial M4 64GB SSD on Newegg. All I have to do now is wade through pages of text on how to properly install the system on it.

I bought the 128GB M4 and used THIS GUIDE to set it up, all in all pretty easy for Windows 7.

sn00zer

Hey my parents are getting a new 32" flatscreen...was wondering is there a way I can get both audio and DVI running into an HDMI to the tv? We dont have an external sound system

kennah

Hey my parents are getting a new 32" flatscreen...was wondering is there a way I can get both audio and DVI running into an HDMI to the tv? We dont have an external sound system

Chances are it will have an 1/8" plug labelled PC audio. Some TVs even let you use HDMI for display and the 1/8" for sound.

Einbroch

Banned
Just ordered the 6870 from eBay for $130 new and got the ASUS mobo from the enhanced list for $80 new on eBay.

Just been waiting and watching. Ended up saving about $60! I'm a happy camper.

mkenyon

Banned
So, I don't know if this is Haz approved or not, but for people looking for video cards, do check out: http://www.overclock.net/f/14779/video

Everyone is getting rid of their 560tis, 570s, 580s, 6950s, and 6970s to finance the new gen cards that have come out. Prices are pretty spectacular. One of the cool things about the OCN marketplace is that you have to be a normally contributing member that gets +rep votes (OCN equivalent of up voting). Bought many items through here, and anecdotally I've never been dissatisfied. I'd be a *lot* more comfortable getting something here than ebay or craigslist. These people are enthusiasts and community members, so they have motivation to make sure they're not screwing someone over.

Hawk269

IB-E I don't think will be out till Q4. This a gaming rig or workstation? 4C will be more than enough gamin and IB will provided about 15% performance increase over SB core for core.

Purely gaming Scogoth. I am about receive a hefty bonus from work and am thinking of pulling the trigger on the 3960x and a new motherboard/ram. Just not sure if I should wait the year or so or just go for it.

As of right now, I know the CPU and Motherboard to get, I do need help in deciding what ram that goes with the CPU/Motherboard. I am looking at the Rampage IV Asus Motherboard to go with the 3960x....I just have trouble thinking of what RAM to get.

So if any of our resident experts can suggest RAM or talk me out of doing this it would be appreciated!! :)

mkenyon

Banned
So, I'm generally a huge proponent of the RoG series of boards. The Extreme edition for socket 2011 is a total waste unless you're a nutso overclocker. The Formula is even pushing it a bit, but much more reasonable.

If you have a set budget, going from the extreme to something less ridiculous, 3960 -> 3930K is certainly the best way to go. Spend that extra money on videocards, SSDs, and a really nice case.

Hawk269

So, I'm generally a huge proponent of the RoG series of boards. The Extreme edition for socket 2011 is a total waste unless you're a nutso overclocker. The Formula is even pushing it a bit, but much more reasonable.

If you have a set budget, going from the extreme to something less ridiculous, 3960 -> 3930K is certainly the best way to go. Spend that extra money on videocards, SSDs, and a really nice case.

Can you recommend a good Motheboard for the 3960x then. I am not a nutso overclocker, I just want a very good board, some overclocking, needs to be at least 3xSLI compatible etc. I prefer ASUS as well. But open to your suggestions.

Hawk269

Posted this in the Kepler & Race your PC Thread.

For any Gaf members only....I have 2 EVGA 580 3GB Classified GPU's up for sale. Was selling them originally at a higher price, but will sell them at $350.00 each for any Gaf member. Both cards have the Backplates and High Flow Brackets, both cards are covered by EVGA's Lifetime Warranty.

Please PM if interested. I currently have them on Ebay at a higher price (375 starting, 425 buy it now + Shipping), but as mentioned will sell to a Gaf member at $350.00 plus shipping.

mkenyon

Banned
If money is no object, then by all means go for the 3960x. But really, the 3930K is within a few percentage points on every bench. It's a *lot* of money for very little return.

For motherboards, it's all about what else you want out of it. I personally really like the expansion slot design on the Rampage IV Formula. You have room for 3xSLI and a soundcard/whatever else PCI-E at the bottom. You are "limited" to four RAM slots which isn't a huge deal to me. I mean, 8GB is already more than enough to multitask till your eyes bleed from the number of chrome tabs. 16GB is double that. Any more, and you better be looking at RAMDISK or some such thing to justify it.

Smokey

Hawk:

Why not go with the ASUS X79 WS mobo or the the ROG Fatality that Mk mentioned? If there's one thing I wish I didn't skimp out on it was the motherboard. I'm on the Z68 Deluxe now and it's got tons of features, more than I need really but they are there. If you trying to get a 3960x that's what I'd do. The WS mobo in particular looks like a beast with plenty of PCI-X slots

How about an Inspiron 620 MT? The third one there is £429 (VAT and shipping included), and these are some of the things it has:

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Intel® Core™ i3-2120 Processor (3.30GHz, 3MB)
4096MB Dual Channel DDR3 [2x2048] Memory
DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with DVD Burn software
500GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
Graphics : Intel® HD
Integrated 5.1 High Definition Audio
Integrated 8-in-1 Media Card Reader & No Floppy
Dell Wireless 1502 (802.11n) WLAN Full-height Mini-Card
Dell IN2030 20" (51 cm) HD WLED Widescreen Monitor VGA, DVI-D (1600x900) Black UK
Dell MS111 USB Optical Mouse (Indigo)
Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

Doesn't come with speakers, you could just pick some cheap ones up. It sounds like a decent deal to me, though I'm no expert on systems, so someone else should tell you how good it really is. But it should be able to hold you over if you aren't doing anything intensive.

Pardon the belated response, but thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into it. But yeah, if anyone could comment on this system and whether it's worth the price then that would be great.

mkenyon

Banned
Hawk:

Why not go with the ASUS X79 WS mobo or the the ROG Fatality that Mk mentioned? If there's one thing I wish I didn't skimp out on it was the motherboard. I'm on the Z68 Deluxe now and it's got tons of features, more than I need really but they are there. If you trying to get a 3960x that's what I'd do. The WS mobo in particular looks like a beast with plenty of PCI-X slots
The WS is sooooooooo ugly though. Yes, I am that guy. I'll own up to it.

cilonen

120Hz has changed me. After nothing but DXHR v-synced to 120Hz for the last three weeks I fired up Fallout 3 for a blast and was strolling round Megaton thinking 'this feels awful, the 7970 at 1900x1080 should be rocking this'.. so I quit, fired up fraps and went back in.. the result? a locked 60fps. Damn.

A couple of minutes google searching and editing the fallout.ini file and back to 120... man that's better, but now I'm broken. It's 120fps or bust from here on out.

(Well, at a push I'll take >90)

:)

mkenyon

Banned
120Hz has changed me. After nothing but DXHR v-synced to 120Hz for the last three weeks I fired up Fallout 3 for a blast and was strolling round Megaton thinking 'this feels awful, the 7970 at 1900x1080 should be rocking this'.. so I quit, fired up fraps and went back in.. the result? a locked 60fps. Damn.

A couple of minutes google searching and editing the fallout.ini file and back to 120... man that's better, but now I'm broken. It's 120fps or bust from here on out.

(Well, at a push I'll take >90)

:)
I can't +1 this experience enough. So true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom