• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

I just bought 32GB of Mushkin Redline 993997 for my 3960x build. It's 1.5v despite what stores say.

Review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quad-channel-ddr3-memory-review,3100-11.html

Thanks...so you are building a 3960x build??? Mind sharing what other parts you are getting for it? I am still in the "looking into it" mode right now...but kind of want to do it and I get my bonus from work at the end of this week and it is also my payday at the end of this week...so if I do this I will be able to pay cash for it and not use anymore credit.

Smokey

Happy to say that since I OC'd to 4.6ghz from 4.3..my GPU issues in BF3 have pretty much gone away. Since that was the end result I was looking for, I may just stay at 4.6 @ 1.27v!

clav

Solid state drives worth buying yet? I know they are pricey but are the benefits worth it at this point? Any problems with them?
Depends on your opinion.

The affordability point should start by the end of this month and will approach to mass market as the year closes.

Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 drives are consistently recommended.

I'm still looking for that best value drive that works on old systems.

The main advantage that SSDs have is the improved random 4K read/write (at least +10MB/sec). If you ever bench a mechanical drive, it absolutely sucks (0.5-1.5 MB/sec) as it is what usually causes the wait time experience on most computers.

sk3tch

Thanks...so you are building a 3960x build??? Mind sharing what other parts you are getting for it? I am still in the "looking into it" mode right now...but kind of want to do it and I get my bonus from work at the end of this week and it is also my payday at the end of this week...so if I do this I will be able to pay cash for it and not use anymore credit.

Move my current 3930k/ASUS P9X79 Pro/32GB Corsair Vengeance to replace my 2500k/MSI P67A-GD53/16GB Corsair Vengeance LP. Bought 3960x/MSI Big Bang XPower-II/32GB Mushkin Redline. Bought 2nd MSI 7970. Bought 4th EVGA GTX 680.

So, CM 690 II Advance will house the 3930k/ASUS P9X79 Pro/CFX 7970 and NZXT Swith 810 (LOVE THIS CASE) will house 3960x/MSI Big Bang XPower-II/Quad-SLI 680.

Happy to say that since I OC'd to 4.6ghz from 4.3..my GPU issues in BF3 have pretty much gone away. Since that was the end result I was looking for, I may just stay at 4.6 @ 1.27v!

Awesome! Go for 5. :)

Hawk269

Move my current 3930k/ASUS P9X79 Pro/32GB Corsair Vengeance to replace my 2500k/MSI P67A-GD53/16GB Corsair Vengeance LP. Bought 3960x/MSI Big Bang XPower-II/32GB Mushkin Redline. Bought 2nd MSI 7970. Bought 4th EVGA GTX 680.

So, CM 690 II Advance will house the 3930k/ASUS P9X79 Pro/CFX 7970 and NZXT Swith 810 (LOVE THIS CASE) will house 3960x/MSI Big Bang XPower-II/Quad-SLI 680.

Awesome! Go for 5. :)

I have to know if the 3960x is that much better than the 3930k. I was reading about the memory you pointed out at tom's hardware, then read their review of the 3960x and they pretty much felt it was too over-priced for the marginal performance over the 990x and 2600k and basically recommended that the best choice would be the 3930k at half the price of the 3960k. I am just wondering what woud be the best and while money is not a real issue, I also dont want to spend money just to spend it.

Here is the part that was of interest:

"Take the $1000 Core i7-3960X, remove 3 MB of L3 cache, and drop the base clock rate by 100 MHz. What do end up with? Four hundred dollars in cash left over and an Intel Core i7-3930K.

The 100 MHz difference in clock rate is hardly relevant, given unlocked multiplier ratios benefiting both CPUs. And you'd be hard-pressed to quantify the advantage of 15 MB of shared L3 cache over 12 MB. Moreover, a greater-than-$400 savings lets you buy a nice motherboard and cooler, while still getting the same four-channel memory subsystem and 40-lane PCI Express 3.0-capable controller."

Any feedback since you have a 3930k already would be appreicated?

I have to know if the 3960x is that much better than the 3930k. I was reading about the memory you pointed out at tom's hardware, then read their review of the 3960x and they pretty much felt it was too over-priced for the marginal performance over the 990x and 2600k and basically recommended that the best choice would be the 3930k at half the price of the 3960k. I am just wondering what woud be the best and while money is not a real issue, I also dont want to spend money just to spend it.

Any feedback since you have a 3930k already?

It is a waste. Trust me. 2500/2600k alone are monstrous and overpowered. Spend your money on RAID 0 SSD's instead if you want a performance increase and usable, excess power.

mkenyon

Banned
It is a waste. Trust me. 2500/2600k alone are monstrous and overpowered. Spend your money on RAID 0 SSD's instead if you want a performance increase and usable, excess power.
I can't agree more. If I had a ridiculous amount of money to spend on computer parts, you can bet your ass I'd have a 3960X. I'd be hard pressed to do it even on a budget of $10K though. Would much rather have ridiculous RAID SSD setup that would automatically put games and such on a RAMDISK or something. Or tri 120hz monitors. Or tri 120hz projectors. Plus liquid cooling too.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Not from AMD, I'm hoping to hear about Nvidia's midrange though. The market needs more 28nm competition outside the high end. I like the 7850/7870 but the price needs to come down!

Geezer

Can anyone help me, I'm living in uni accommodation and the internet connection is provided via an Ethernet socket in the wall. What do I need to buy to get a wireless connection in my room so that I could connect my HTC phone wirelessly and potentially a vita in future?

sk3tch

It's a waste. I'm just building a ridiculous PC that is top-end everything. So I did not want to skrimp. Hoping I can hit 5 GHz...but it's tough with the big and hot Sandy Bridge E Hexa-cores.

If you're going to go tri or quad GPU, get the X79 and get the 3930K. I believe it's a better platform for large, multi-GPU. If not; with Ivy Bridge coming out, go that route - or buy my 2500k/MSI P67A-GD53/16GB Corsair Vengeance LP combo. :)

I can't agree more. If I had a ridiculous amount of money to spend on computer parts, you can bet your ass I'd have a 3960X. I'd be hard pressed to do it even on a budget of $10K though. Would much rather have ridiculous RAID SSD setup that would automatically put games and such on a RAMDISK or something. Or tri 120hz monitors. Or tri 120hz projectors. Plus liquid cooling too.

Ordering a BenQ XL2410T to try out based on your rec! Will go tri if it pans out. They seem to be pretty hot. Read some mixed review but ah well. Is direct from BenQ for $400 the best route these days? I noticed they have a 30 day money-back guarantee which is attractive.

Rufus

Can anyone help me, I'm living in uni accommodation and the internet connection is provided via an Ethernet socket in the wall. What do I need to buy to get a wireless connection in my room so that I could connect my HTC phone wirelessly and potentially a vita in future?
I used a cheap wireless access point for my old non-wireless router. Can't recommend a specific one though, don't even remember what brand mine was. Did it's job just fine for the 25€ I paid for it though, so just look for something cheap with decent customer ratings.

TheExodu5

Banned

Here is the part that was of interest:

"Take the $1000 Core i7-3960X, remove 3 MB of L3 cache, and drop the base clock rate by 100 MHz. What do end up with? Four hundred dollars in cash left over and an Intel Core i7-3930K.

The 100 MHz difference in clock rate is hardly relevant, given unlocked multiplier ratios benefiting both CPUs. And you'd be hard-pressed to quantify the advantage of 15 MB of shared L3 cache over 12 MB. Moreover, a greater-than-$400 savings lets you buy a nice motherboard and cooler, while still getting the same four-channel memory subsystem and 40-lane PCI Express 3.0-capable controller."

Any feedback since you have a 3930k already would be appreicated?

If you're going single card, go with the 2500K or 2600K without a doubt. You'll be saving yourself $300-400 that can be put towards a hardware upgrade or a new PC in the future.

Better to build two high-end systems over the span of a few years than one ultra high-end system that will just be 10-20% more powerful than the first.

If this is your first venture into custom PC builds, I'd tell you to tone it down a bit until you know what you want. You may very well end up like Smokey and jump off the deep end, but I'd say it's best to do it in increments.

I'd talk to Smokey and see how he feels with this whole situation (aside from his case issues, which were unpredicted).

n0n44m

If you're going to go tri or quad GPU, get the X79 and get the 3930K. I believe it's a better platform for large, multi-GPU. And with Ivy Bridge coming out, go that route.

even then the difference compared to a 1155 board with the NF200 extra lanes chip is only ~2 percent from what I've read ... given the extra costs I'd stick to a 2600K for gaming :p (unless you're a huge Civ5 fan lol)

Ordering a BenQ XL2410T to try out based on your rec! Will go tri if it pans out. They seem to be pretty hot. Read some mixed review but ah well. Is direct from BenQ for $400 the best route these days? I noticed they have a 30 day money-back guarantee which is attractive.

XL2420T(X) I presume? 2410 is last year's model ;)

I love my XL2420T for gaming, and the 3D is cool as well with the right titles and enough horsepower. Regular desktop use is OK I guess.

Geezer

I used a cheap wireless access point for my old non-wireless router. Can't recommend a specific one though, don't even remember what brand mine was. Did it's job just fine for the 25€ I paid for it though, so just look for something cheap with decent customer ratings.

Thank you, that is the right thing to buy, I should be able to find one for £20ish :)

sk3tch

XL2420T(X) I presume? 2410 is last year's model ;)

I love my XL2420T for gaming, and the 3D is cool as well with the right titles and enough horsepower. Regular desktop use is OK I guess.

Thanks! If I'm going tri-mon and want to potentially do 3D - do I just need one XL2420TX (for the emitter) and the other two can be XL2420T? I'd prefer integrated versus getting a separate kit.

n0n44m

Thanks! If I'm going tri-mon and want to potentially do 3D - do I just need one XL2420TX (for the emitter) and the other two can be XL2420T? I'd prefer integrated versus getting a separate kit.

yeah should work AFAIK ... TX ain't available in Europe so I've got the T + Nvidia 3D Vision 2 kit

although the emitter is just a small cube with a USB connection so that doesn't bother me, but the TX version is probably cheaper than the T + kit

Lulubop

Hmmm, not sure if I should go with a 120hz monitor or a Catleap. Anyone here have any experience with those Sk monitors?

scogoth

To heck with you all if sketch wants to dump ridiculous money into the most epic build on this thread then more power to him.

Post lots of pics/impressions sketch!

Is the GA Z68 board bad? For fellow Canadains, what would you suggest is better with a 2500k? And is a aftermarket cpu cooler really recommended?

scogoth

Is the GA Z68 board bad? For fellow Canadains, what would you suggest is better with a 2500k? And is a aftermarket cpu cooler really recommended?

Absolutely yes, there is no point in getting a 2500k if your not overclocking and you need an after market cooler for that.

For motherboards most z68 boards would be good, personally I like asus boards better because I have had lots of issues with gigabyte boards and their uefi bios is not as well developed as asus

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So if I have a Lenovo X121e netbook with an AMD Fusion E-350 APU (1.6GHz dual core + Radeon 6310M) and a 7200rpm HDD. The Windows 7 performance test gives me 3.8 for the CPU and 5.9 for the HDD.

Will replacing the HDD with an SSD (specifically the latest 7mm Crucial M4 6GB/s) be worth it, or is there some kind of bottleneck that I'm not aware of?

scogoth

So if I have a Lenovo X121e netbook with an AMD Fusion E-350 APU (1.6GHz dual core + Radeon 6310M) and a 7200rpm HDD. The Windows 7 performance test gives me 3.8 for the CPU and 5.9 for the HDD.

Will replacing the HDD with an SSD (specifically the latest 7mm Crucial M4 6GB/s) be worth it, or is there some kind of bottleneck that I'm not aware of?

SSD will give you faster boot times, quick application loading and snappier feel in windows. Its up to you whether the smaller space and higher price are worth it in a laptop.

Smokey

If you're going single card, go with the 2500K or 2600K without a doubt. You'll be saving yourself $300-400 that can be put towards a hardware upgrade or a new PC in the future.

Better to build two high-end systems over the span of a few years than one ultra high-end system that will just be 10-20% more powerful than the first.

If this is your first venture into custom PC builds, I'd tell you to tone it down a bit until you know what you want. You may very well end up like Smokey and jump off the deep end, but I'd say it's best to do it in increments.

I'd talk to Smokey and see how he feels with this whole situation (aside from his case issues, which were unpredicted).
Hawk is already in the deep end! We both had MSI xtreme 580s at one point. He has since moved on to the classified 580s, and is now on to the 680 in SLI. I'm still with my Lightnings. I have shown great restraint ;)

As far as the 3960x vs 3930k...id probably go with the 3930k. $400 difference to me is big. Hell that $400 could be used on a 120hz monitor to let those 680s stretch their legs. On the other hand I completely understand wanting the best if the best.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
SSD will give you faster boot times, quick application loading and snappier feel in windows. Its up to you whether the smaller space and higher price are worth it in a laptop.

Thanks. I was just wondering if there is such thing as SSD bottlenecks.

Also, the SSD I'm eyeing is a SATA3 drive, but how do I know if my mobo is SATA2 or 3?

mkenyon

Banned
It's a waste. I'm just building a ridiculous PC that is top-end everything. So I did not want to skrimp. Hoping I can hit 5 GHz...but it's tough with the big and hot Sandy Bridge E Hexa-cores.

If you're going to go tri or quad GPU, get the X79 and get the 3930K. I believe it's a better platform for large, multi-GPU. If not; with Ivy Bridge coming out, go that route - or buy my 2500k/MSI P67A-GD53/16GB Corsair Vengeance LP combo. :)
You need to get wet with this build, seriously. You already have the perfect case for it, and are spending a ridiculous amount of money on high end parts. Might as well get a full loop in there. I'll help you with picking all the parts even!

Also, while X79 has a ton of PCI-E lanes, the PCI-E 3.0 Z77 boards will have plenty of bandwidth for tri/quad-GPU setups. Heck, PCI-E 2.0 x8 already does.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Anyone who's got a Thinkpad X121e? impressions?

MPoJN.jpg

Just saw your post. I have one. Bought it last September. It's the AMD E-350 version, not the Core i3 one. At the time, I was able to get a 7200rpm HDD installed instead of 5400rpm HDD. I also added 4GB of RAM for a total of 8GB.

I've been extremely pleased with it overall. The best thing about it is the keyboard. Best one I've ever used. Not that it's perfect, mind you: the Fn-key is the bottom leftmost key, meaning you'll often press it meaning to press the Ctrl-key. Also it's very sturdy. It doesn't feel like it would fall apart easily, but then Lenovo is known for making robust designs.

The specs are good too. I can play stuff like Mount & Blade just fine (though obviously not on high settings), and 720p and 1080p playback is smooth in VLC 2.0, as is youtube HD content. The only times the computer struggles is when I use a dual-monitor setup (the default monitor + a 1080p one): HD video playback stutters, but SD videos are fine.

Battery life is good (assuming you get the 6-cell battery model). Some days I have 9 hours of class using MS Word, and it can manage it if you turn off WiFi and Bluetooth, and if you turn down the brightness a good deal (basically, just enough to see what you're typing).

The downsides are the screen (it's your average TN screen affair, but at least it's matte) and the trackpad (small, unresponsive, with poorly-placed buttons ABOVE it), and the look on the inside: it's got that ugly, early-2000s style to it, mostly because of the trackpad and its buttons. The outside is nice and just won't be covered in fingerprints.

sk3tch

You need to get wet with this build, seriously. You already have the perfect case for it, and are spending a ridiculous amount of money on high end parts. Might as well get a full loop in there. I'll help you with picking all the parts even!

Also, while X79 has a ton of PCI-E lanes, the PCI-E 3.0 Z77 boards will have plenty of bandwidth for tri/quad-GPU setups. Heck, PCI-E 2.0 x8 already does.

I'm down man. That will definitely be a latter phase. I appreciate the offer, I will definitely take you up on it! I am battling my buddy because he wants me to do quad 7970s too...lol...I'm like man..that's another $3500 F that. Gonna focus on this rig, his rig, and my 2nd rig for the site and then roll from there. I think liquid cooling is a better next step. Especially since I know ZERO about it...other than the H100 I'm using. I will hit you up and see what we can do as far as putting a guide together or something. Would be cool!

You're right RE: Z77. Just not sure there will be any quad Z77 boards? For me, X79 rules for the hexa core and tons of RAM. Since I am actually going to use these for stuff other than games (virtual machines).

zbarron

question to anyone using HDMI Audio through their video card: How did you get your microphone to work? I'm trying to use my motherboards mic jack but i can't seem to get both sound drivers working. I'm using an MSI X58 Pro-E, a Gtx 560 ti and windows 7 64-bit.

ithorien

Since I was forced to sell my current rig, I will be rebuilding this summer. I had a gtx 560ti which suited me decently at 1080p, but I was using my 32" tv as my display.

In arkham city I could max a lot, but not loads of aa and physx was only on normal/medium.

What id like to figure out is this...

In my new rig I want moar powa, but don't know how much or what card exactly. Am I better off getting a dedicated physx card rather than one beastly card? (not really wanting to sli, dotes having a dedicated physx count as sli?) Is nvidia expected to launch a 670/660 by july of this year? Any clues on performance gains over a 560ti? Or should I just go for the 680 and hope for a price drop by july?

Secondly, this tv doesn't cut it as a display, text is blurry for some reason. Can someone recommend a 25" or so decent quality display?

As good as the TV might be, text will always be blurry because in the end the display isn't made to display text. I have the top of the line 32" Sony LCD as mine, and it's a little bothersome but for the games I play it's absolutely wonderful. I have my PS3 etc plugged, cable run, and the PiP is super awesome. Look below for a really good 24".

In the same boat myself. There isn't many 25 inch monitors so you'll either go 24 or 27

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

mkenyon

Banned
I'm down man. That will definitely be a latter phase. I appreciate the offer, I will definitely take you up on it! I am battling my buddy because he wants me to do quad 7970s too...lol...I'm like man..that's another $3500 F that. Gonna focus on this rig, his rig, and my 2nd rig for the site and then roll from there. I think liquid cooling is a better next step. Especially since I know ZERO about it...other than the H100 I'm using. I will hit you up and see what we can do as far as putting a guide together or something. Would be cool!

You're right RE: Z77. Just not sure there will be any quad Z77 boards? For me, X79 rules for the hexa core and tons of RAM. Since I am actually going to use these for stuff other than games (virtual machines).

See, that's one of the awesome parts about waterblocks. Your cards now only take up a single PCI-E slot :p

Absolutely yes, there is no point in getting a 2500k if your not overclocking and you need an after market cooler for that.

For motherboards most z68 boards would be good, personally I like asus boards better because I have had lots of issues with gigabyte boards and their uefi bios is not as well developed as asus

Thanks, now I just have to decide whether to wait for Ivy bridge or not.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

I'd get a 2500K even if you aren't overclocking just to have that option and boost resale value/resellability.

sk3tch

NoRéN;36621743 said:
HOLY SHIT!!! Time to complain. Use the call feature. You'll get someone in the states and they tend to be way more responsive to complaints.

DAMN...already used the web help. I will call. Thanks man.

EDIT: thanks for the tip! Received 10% off. :-D Here's hoping it still works...heh.

MrBig

Hmmm, not sure if I should go with a 120hz monitor or a Catleap. Anyone here have any experience with those Sk monitors?

There's thousand of posts about them on the OCN threads. They're the same displays used in high end Dell and iMac monitors. They are A- panels though, so for being signifcantly lowered in price you serve the risk (although many have reported not having any) of having a couple dead pixels.

I'm planning on grabbing the Crossover, just because the colors look so damn good and it IPS, LED backlit. ~$400.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Son of a...

http://www.sk3tch.com/images/3960x.JPG

(Amazon ships me a $1k+ processor in a BUBBLE MAILER)
That's pretty funny. At least it's not a loose HDD in a box like they used to do. CPU isn't going to get damaged, although your nice retail box will be messed up. HS might get dinged though.
Dats why you don't buy from amazon. And it's not nearly as good in Canada is another reason
Some of their packaging is awful, but they don't give a shit and will just keep sending you items via 1 day air or give you money.

I bought a CO2 tank and it was shipped loose in a box with 4 air packets. Told them to pack it properly with sticky bubble tape (like their lights). Next one shipped same. I'm using it now anyway, but I really shouldn't be.

Hawk269

Hawk is already in the deep end! We both had MSI xtreme 580s at one point. He has since moved on to the classified 580s, and is now on to the 680 in SLI. I'm still with my Lightnings. I have shown great restraint ;)

As far as the 3960x vs 3930k...id probably go with the 3930k. $400 difference to me is big. Hell that $400 could be used on a 120hz monitor to let those 680s stretch their legs. On the other hand I completely understand wanting the best if the best.

LMAO..Yeah guys I jumped off the deep end long ago. I am currently running the following rig:

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 x2 SLI
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz OC 4.6Ghz
Corsair Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD x2
Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate Edition
Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929 55" 1080p 3D TV

Not sure what is possessing me to want to go even bigger right now. I know that this rig with the new 680's are really rocking..but I gues it was reading more about the 3960 & 3930, plus the X79 platform and PCI 3.0 etc. got me thinking of wanting to go down that path.

That and just got (well on Friday) a hefty bonus, just paid off my vehicle so was thinking..more...more power..more shiny new toys....lol

asdad123

Any recommendations for wireless keyboards/mouses?

Looking for something I can use at the desk and then move easily to the couch if needed, but decent for gaming.

Only $600 or so to make my first rig, any better idea??

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Mobo: ASUS M5A99X EVO

RAM: 8 gb (2x4gb) Corsair DDR3 1600 mhz

Graphics: Radeon HD6870

Storage: Seagate 1TB 7200 Rpm SATA 6gb/s

Power: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600-Watt

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Smokey

LMAO..Yeah guys I jumped off the deep end long ago. I am currently running the following rig:

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 x2 SLI
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz OC 4.6Ghz
Corsair Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD x2
Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate Edition
Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929 55" 1080p 3D TV

Not sure what is possessing me to want to go even bigger right now. I know that this rig with the new 680's are really rocking..but I gues it was reading more about the 3960 & 3930, plus the X79 platform and PCI 3.0 etc. got me thinking of wanting to go down that path.

That and just got (well on Friday) a hefty bonus, just paid off my vehicle so was thinking..more...more power..more shiny new toys....lol

a new shiny 120hz monitor

Hawk269

a new shiny 120hz monitor

I dont game at a desk, only from my comfy sofa on my big screen TV. I have no interest in desk gaming since I prefer to use my really well equipped sound system and my 55" HDTV. So, unless someone makes a really good HDTV in the 55-60" range that can do 120fps...I am sticking to my 55" 1080p 3d-HDTV.

sk3tch

*specs of sweet rig*

Damn dude...nice! I don't recommend going to X79 with what you have there, but I do understand the urge. :) If it makes you feel any better - you can upgrade to X79 and sell all of your old gear and probably come out pretty OK. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Only $600 or so to make my first rig, any better idea??

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Mobo: ASUS M5A99X EVO

RAM: 8 gb (2x4gb) Corsair DDR3 1600 mhz

Graphics: Radeon HD6870

Storage: Seagate 1TB 7200 Rpm SATA 6gb/s

Power: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600-Watt

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
Gaming rig?
i3 and intel mobo like in the OP.

Also VP450 or XFX 550w or BP550 PSU instead.

Not worth it and you know it.

If you want to mess around with something buy some more 830's and RAID four of them together.

Hawk269

Damn dude...nice! I don't recommend going to X79 with what you have there, but I do understand the urge. :) If it makes you feel any better - you can upgrade to X79 and sell all of your old gear and probably come out pretty OK. :)

When it comes to the parts I would not need if I do upgrade (Motherboard, Processor, Ram, Cooler) I already have someone at work that wants a new gaming rig..so I know I could recoup some of the cost if I do decide to go x79.

Right now...I am messing with my 680's in my current rig testing some stuff here and there. I have to remind myself these are new cards and any performance issues I may have (not many at all) will surely improve as drivers for these new GPU's mature.

I am always thinking of bigger, better more badass and perhaps I should try to think of it differently...I think the fact that I still cant run Witcher 2 in Uber at my resolutions bugs me...lol...I know that sounds childish, but it is what it is. Heck right now the latest thoughts in my head, no thanks to sktch...is going tri-sli!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom