• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arken2121

I'm trying to decide if it's worth waiting for Ivy. I've seen quite a few reviews of the horrendous OC capability and high temps. I'm running on a 6 year old PC and it's starting to show its age 8). I've been looking at the Sandy-E series and it looks like a sweet jump in performance from my current rig. I'm also waiting on the 680 4gb version.

My current rig: E8500 Core 2 duo, HD 4870 1GB, 4gb ram DDR2 G.skill, 1TB WD sata 3, Rosewill R912E monitor.

MrBig

I'm trying to decide if it's worth waiting for Ivy. I've seen quite a few reviews of the horrendous OC capability and high temps. I'm running on a 6 year old PC and it's starting to show its age 8). I've been looking at the Sandy-E series and it looks like a sweet jump in performance from my current rig. I'm also waiting on the 680 4gb version.

My current rig: E8500 Core 2 duo, HD 4870 1GB, 4gb ram DDR2 G.skill, 1TB WD sata 3, Rosewill R912E monitor.

I'm upgrading from a laptop with similar specs to Ivy/kepler.
There is a problem with Ivy's heat sensor that randomly spikes temp readings. It can't OC as well as SB, but SB was a very good OCer. A 3570K at 4.5 ghz approximately matches a 2500K at 4.8 ghz, and gets the same ~60c at load. Check this thread.

I don't see a reason to not go with IB, seeing as it's about the same price (less than what the price of a 2500k was a few weeks ago; $220 vs $212) and should be out next week.

papercut

I'm upgrading from a laptop with similar specs to Ivy/kepler.
There is a problem with Ivy's heat sensor that randomly spikes temp readings. It can't OC as well as SB, but SB was a very good OCer. A 3570K at 4.5 ghz approximately matches a 2500K at 4.8 ghz, and gets the same ~60c at load.

I don't see a reason to not go with IB, seeing as it's about the same price (less than what the price of a 2500k was a few weeks ago; $220 vs $212) and should be out next week.

How easy is it to get to 4.5 ghz? My original plan was to get a 2500K and OC it to 4.5 with a good air cooler, but then I decided to wait for IB.

gate777

OK, I'm about to install the heat sink onto my CPU and have some questions. CPU: i5 2500k. Heat sink: Cooler master Hyper 212 evo.

1. Thermal paste on the CPU only or both the CPU and Heat sink?
2. What's the best method for applying thermal paste?

This is what I was planning on doing:

Putting some on the heat sink and spreading out with a credit card until all dips and ridges are covered with paste making a flat surface, then wiping off the excess with a coffee filter.

For the CPU I was planning on putting a thin line down the centre and having the heat sink do the spreading for me when I apply it.

Suggestion welcome.

MrBig

How easy is it to get to 4.5 ghz? My original plan was to get a 2500K and OC it to 4.5 with a good air cooler, but then I decided to wait for IB.

This post should give you a pretty good idea

OK, I'm about to install the heat sink onto my CPU and have some questions. CPU: i5 2500k. Heat sink: Cooler master Hyper 212 evo.

1. Thermal paste on the CPU only or both the CPU and Heat sink?
2. What's the best method for applying thermal paste?

This is what I was planning on doing:

Putting some on the heat sink and spreading out with a credit card until all dips and ridges are covered with paste making a flat surface, then wiping off the excess with a coffee filter.

For the CPU I was planning on putting a thin line down the centre and having the heat sink do the spreading for me when I apply it.

Suggestion welcome.

The line application method is supposedly the best for the 212

I use a Asus 1215n netbook for taking notes, coding and web browsing and I find it slow as hell. Also, the 12.1" format seems a little too small for me (but I used to have a 15" 2006 MacBook Pro and it felt huge and heavy)

Specifications
CPU & Chipset Intel® Atom™ D525 processor (1.8 GHz)
Memory 2GB DDR3, 1 x SO-DIMM slot (expandable to 4GB)
Hybrid Storage 250GB HDD + 500GB ASUS WebStorage**
Card Reader: MMC/ SD(SDHC, SDXC)
Battery 6 cells Li-ion Battery Pack, 7 hours***
Dimensions 11.54” (W) x 8.11” (D) x 1.06” ~ 1.3”(H)
Weight 3.22 Lbs (with 6 cell battery)

I will probably have a summer job so I might be able to get a real laptop. I'm thinking of this one: http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/10804272/art/asus/ultrabook-ux31e-ry010v-ar.html

CPU Intel Core i7-2677M at 1.8 GHz
RAM 4 Go DDR3
Intel Share Graphics
13,3" LED display, 1600 x 900 pixels (HD+)
256 Gb SSD SATA III
SD Card reader
Battery Li-Ion 4 cellules, 6840mAh

Kind of a stupid question, but what kind of performance increase can I hope to get from this computer? Will it stop taking hours to boot and load programs ? Will it not lag after having more than two tabs in Chrome/Firefox? Also, can I expect to run Ubuntu in Virtualbox? I don't actually plan on using it for gaming (although it would have been nice).

RedSwirl

Hey guys, underclocking my HD6850 didn't work for keeping temps down.

I took another look at pictures of my computer and realized that unlike a lot of the systems I see pictured here, I don't think I really have a "main fan". I can definitely hear one, but that's probably the GPU fan. I can see a fan on the GPU, one on the PSU, and a heat sink in the center of the computer. I don't even think I could fit a conventional fan in there.

It has been a long road...but my primary build is complete. Doing the OS install/tweaking/etc. stuff now. Gotta hit the hay because I have my son this weekend a.k.a. 6 bells wake up call. Heh. Play time continues tomorrow night. Hoping to get more pics/etc. out then...

And damn! Nice rig man...some day I'll do a water build.

You fucking better be running Samaritan on that shit. At least tell me you got TW2 with ubersampling at 60fps or some shit.

ParityBit

Further, it says the motherboard supports up to dual-channel DDR3 1600. That means there's no point in getting higher? Why do such higher levels even exist, then?

These are the three motherboards I'm considering for use with the 3770K:

One
Two
Three

Which do you guys think would be best? I've also considered EVGA's Z77 FTW board, but it's a bit expensive

Thanks for the help in advance!

I am in the same situation! I am leaning towards number three for the motherboard, and probably 2 gtx670Ti's in SLI.

As for a case, I am looking for one without a door! I am making my list to post for opinions soon, as I want to start purchasing!

sk3tch

No Tribes: Ascend? Gonna revoke your PC license soon unless you remedy that.

I signed on for the beta long ago and even did the pre-order thingee where you receive the credits for $30 or whatever...but I haven't had it grab me. Believe me, I'm an old enough man where Starsiege Tribes is one of my favorites...Voodoo 3 lovin'! Glide FTW. :) I will definitely get it installed and give it another go now that I finally have this damn build nailed down!

n0n44m

No Tribes: Ascend? Gonna revoke your PC license soon unless you remedy that.

Tribes Ascend is pretty awesome! I was doing really well until I hit lvl 8 and got into some matches with higher lvl people ... then it got a lot tougher lol

but I used that ini you posted in the beta thread a while back, yet I still can't get more than 90 fps ... can't really find any console commands via Google either :/ any ideas?

GPU, Catalyst only OC to 1125MHz core, 1575MHz memory (max) 32° idle 37° load (furmark). I will probably leave that. I can't believe how cool GPU's run on water.

that's just because the current GPUs are very very efficient :p and neither the HD7970 nor GTX680 allow for much voltage tweaking at the moment ... my GTX480 on 1.2 voltage (bios flash) easily goes to 50c in Furmark (with low temperature water/ 9*140 radiator). 1.1v on an Accelero Xtreme already went past 75c before I stopped it :eek:

also the QDCs do introduce some restriction but it remains pretty low as long as you don't go putting them in between each component (would also be pretty costly lol).

mkenyon

Banned
Tribes Ascend is pretty awesome! I was doing really well until I hit lvl 8 and got into some matches with higher lvl people ... then it got a lot tougher lol

but I used that ini you posted in the beta thread a while back, yet I still can't get more than 90 fps ... can't really find any console commands via Google either :/ any ideas?
In the ini, change the max framerate smoothing to 120, then enable it. Same thing for all unreal engine games too.

Among other factors, there are legal reasons why parts receive certain ratings. Even if it may at times be a matter of accounting for worst case scenario (variances in binning aside), it's best to properly cover yourself from probable conflicts with ODMs, and, to a lesser extent, OEMs.

In order to best meet architectural and process projections that are still years out, you sometimes have to make sacrifices, and, in the interim, roll with the punches to effectuate desired goals. Long term planning should never be clouded by myopic vision.

maks

Putting together my first build since 2007. I'm hoping these components can last just as long...

2600k $200
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 $195
Sandisk Extreme 120gb SSD $130
Coolermaster 212+ EVO $30
Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 1600 $96

Around $700 total. I have a Coolermaster Mystique case and Radeon 5850 that im going to use until a good deal on an upgrade comes along. I'm spending $200 on the Asus Z68 motherboard...should I stick with the Z68 or go with a Z77 for just about the same price?

MrBig

Putting together my first build since 2007. I'm hoping these components can last just as long...

2600k $200
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 $195
Sandisk Extreme 120gb SSD $130
Coolermaster 212+ EVO $30
Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 1600 $96

Around $700 total. I have a Matrox Mystique case and Radeon 5850 that im going to use until a good deal on an upgrade comes along. I'm spending $200 on the Asus Z68 motherboard...should I stick with the Z68 or go with a Z77 for just about the same price?

If you want wireless or have a android/ios device go with a z77, otherwise there not a major reason to go for it. It is only $15 more for a Z77-V though (the pro version doesn't add anything substantial from what I can tell). I personally am getting a z77-v so that I can control my comp (hooked up to my TV) with my android tablet as if I had a wireless htpc controller set up.

ParityBit

How do you guys find gaming over a wireless connection vs a wired one? I ask because I plan on moving my eek and it will not be right next to the router. Is it best I try to find a way to wire it, or purchase a wireless card with my machine?

Also I have a Apple LED Cinema Display (27 inch) model #A1316 (2560 X 1440 @60 hz). How is that for gaming?

scogoth

How do you guys find gaming over a wireless connection vs a wired one? I ask because I plan on moving my eek and it will not be right next to the router. Is it best I try to find a way to wire it, or purchase a wireless card with my machine?

Also I have a Apple LED Cinema Display (27 inch) model #A1316 (2560 X 1440 @60 hz). How is that for gaming?

I game wireless and although its not ideal I make it work. Make sure you have a strong connection and that nothing else is running in the background and nobody else is using the wireless. That display is awesome for colour and picture quality although for gaming lower response time and 120hz are what serious gamers look for.

Big Chungus

My brother is looking to upgrade his processor.

He currently has a AMD Phenom IIx 2 550.

Would a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition make a big difference or is it not worth it?

So anyone know?

I really don't want to overclock his current cpu since he has no idea what to do if it goes wrong.

Would a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition be a good upgrade?

I've tried looking for comparisons between the two but couldn't find any.

ParityBit

I game wireless and although its not ideal I make it work. Make sure you have a strong connection and that nothing else is running in the background and nobody else is using the wireless. That display is awesome for colour and picture quality although for gaming lower response time and 120hz are what serious gamers look for.

Any good monito suggestions? It's one of the last things on my list before I post it! And the case. Bleh!

mkenyon

Banned
So anyone know?

I really don't want to overclock his current cpu since he has no idea what to do if it goes wrong.

Not really. Crappy place to be, I know. Basically he needs to upgrade the mobo/ram/cpu to get any worthwhile improvement.

ProXimity

Banned
I want to build a gaming/video editing pc this summer and I'm curious about the differences between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge units. What are they in layman's terms?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
So anyone know?

Like I posted before read up on how to unlock the extra cores. If you tried and it isn't stable, then a worthwhile upgrade requires a new mobo along with the CPU.

MrBig

I want to build a gaming/video editing pc this summer and I'm curious about the differences between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge units. What are they in layman's terms?

Ivy is the newest revision in the Intel cpu line, but is derivative of the Sandy Bridge tech. It uses the newest architecture, and has some new tech (trigate resistors) that has been in development since the early 2000s. Since you're building a new rig and not upgrading Sandy Bridge already, go with Ivy.

1-D_FTW

Yes. Ivy Bridge is just the replacement for Sandy Bridge... only slightly faster and more energy efficient. 1500 bucks is a huge budget if you're not doing anything extravagant.

ProXimity

Banned
Yes. Ivy Bridge is just the replacement for Sandy Bridge... only slightly faster and more energy efficient. 1500 bucks is a huge budget if you're not doing anything extravagant.

Well, I do need to be able to edit 4K video and play new games on at least high for the next few years.

MrBig

I can buy these new Ivy Bridge processors and still have a highly competent gaming machine for under $1500?

I've set the same budget for my build, or at least in total. ~$1100 is all it's taking me to get really nice components and then I have the rest going towards a 27" 2560x1440 monitor, which could be really good for you as well since you want to do video editing; I'm getting mine for painting + gaming.

The monitors are made from A- panels that were not sold to Apple for their Cinema display, so you're getting a $1000+ monitor for <$400 but you run the risk of getting a dead pixel or two (out of 4+ million) and minor possible backlight bleed. Ordering from the seller ta_planet, he will open the box and check the monitor for any defects. This route is not for everyone and you have to accept the risks for getting a >$1000 display for so cheap, so be wary. If you are interested read through the multiple threads about them on this site, the PCBank in particular.

My current part list

Code:
Case: $115 R3 NCIX
Mobo: $210 Z77-v NCIX
RAM: $55 8gb Vengeance LP Newegg (ordered)
GPU: $275 660ti Rumor
CPU: $212 3570k Rumor
Cooling: $31 212+ evo NCIX
PSU: $80 Rosewill 550w Gold Newegg
HDD: $137 1tb WD NCIX
Soundcard: $19 Xonar DG Amazon (ordered)
Sub Total: $1146
Monitor: $368 - PCBANK
Total: $1504

Hold off about a month or so and you'll also be able to snag the latest mid range nvidia card, the GTX 660. You'll probably want to go for 16gb of ram and a 3770K cpu for 4k video editing though.

Wizman23

Banned
Pretty much only online FPS exclusively. So, right now - BF3 with a smattering of Crysis 2 and MW3.

My overclocked 560 ti that I payed 250 bucks for runs both of these games on Ultra maxed out at 40- 70 FPS. Don't get me wrong your rig is beyond awesome but why 4 680's? Wouldn't one be plenty enough?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, I do need to be able to edit 4K video and play new games on at least high for the next few years.
Enthusiast build with the Ivy 3770K and a GTX680 should meet that fairly well.

Ivy is approx 10% faster and uses bit less power. We'll know more when actual reviews crop up with retail chips.
I've set the same budget for my build, or at least in total. ~$1100 is all it's taking me to get really nice components and then I have the rest going towards a 27" 2560x1440 monitor, which could be really good for you as well since you want to do video editing; I'm getting mine for painting + gaming.

Hold off about a month or so and you'll also be able to snag the latest mid range nvidia card, the GTX 660. You'll probably want to go for 16gb of ram and a 3770K cpu for 4k video editing though.
660 might be summer, and only the 670/Ti seems to be this month unless someone corrects me?
Capstone's look not bad at all if you can find them in stock. Might want to nab the 750W one while its still on sale + 15% off.

Mr Swine

Banned
IB slighty faster in a lot less power and heat.

Right and wrong. IB consumes less power but generates more heat since the CPU is a lot smaller than SB. IB will also OC a lot worse than a SB according some site and poeple owning 3570k/3770k. Going to 4.8GHz on a IB will literally fry your GPU if you don't have the best cooling system. So while at stock IB is 7% faster it clocks worse

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Right and wrong. IB consumes less power but generates more heat since the CPU is a lot smaller than SB. IB will also OC a lot worse than a SB according some site and poeple owning 3570k/3770k. Going to 4.8GHz on a IB will literally fry your GPU if you don't have the best cooling system. So while at stock IB is 7% faster it clocks worse
Aren't most of those ES CPU's still? It would surprise me if Intel didn't make some modifications to the IHS past the initial reports like you mentioned.

ParityBit

Planning and putting together a new rig. Should I go with Sandy or Ivy Bridge mobo/CPU?

I am planning one also. I am looking at the sabertooth 77 board and planning or an IB. And if not that a nice sb since they are the same socket.

I still have some more parts I need to plan before posting though! So stressful! I wanna start buying parts ASAP!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I am planning one also. I am looking at the sabertooth 77 board and planning or an IB. And if not that a nice sb since they are the same socket.

I still have some more parts I need to plan before posting though! So stressful! I wanna start buying parts ASAP!

I love this feeling. =D

Lingitiz

I'm thinking about upgrading from my current gpu, but will my 430w psu be enough for a 550/560? I have an Athlon X3 and 6670 atm.

1-D_FTW

I suspect something off. Because wattage equals heat. For whatever reason the temps are higher in those leaks, but there has to be some reason behind it. They most certainly are adding less heat to the case based on the wattage readings.

and a lot of temp measurements were wrong due to random temp spikes in the sensor.

Which makes a ton of sense.

_woLf

Just began purchasing parts for my upcoming Ivy Bridge PC! I'm so excited, can't wait to start messing with the parts.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011
Heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246

Does this all look good? Lots of good reviews from the Corsair stuff -- that's why I went all Corsair. From my research, the RAM seems to be good and I'm hoping it'll work great with Ivy Bridge. As I said in previous post, I'm planning on buying a Ivy Bridge 3770K CPU.

I've narrowed my motherboard choices to these three, still looking for opinions on which would be best (and which would work with the RAM I bought the best)

One
Two
Three
Four

They all seem to do pretty much similar things, but does anyone have any opinion on which may be the best for the setting I'm aiming for with the case, memory and PSU I bought, as well as the CPU I intend to buy? I'm going for one GTX 680, so SLI isn't required but might be nice as a future option.

So I just got a tower, but I don't yet have a monitor and mouse and keyboard. Is there anyway I can hook the tower up to a laptop and use it as the monitor and keyboard temporarily until I get a real monitor and mouse and keyboard?

mkenyon

Banned
My overclocked 560 ti that I payed 250 bucks for runs both of these games on Ultra maxed out at 40- 70 FPS. Don't get me wrong your rig is beyond awesome but why 4 680's? Wouldn't one be plenty enough?
120hz (so you want 120fps). In his case, he's running three monitors at 120hz/fps.

MrBig

So I just got a tower, but I don't yet have a monitor and mouse and keyboard. Is there anyway I can hook the tower up to a laptop and use it as the monitor and keyboard temporarily until I get a real monitor and mouse and keyboard?

No, laptops don't have any connector you could just plug into and have it work. Keyboard and panel both don't any kind of connector you could use if you opened up the laptop either.

nocode

Just wanted to give an update, and some huge thanks to all the helpful people here! Got all the parts for my first build on Friday, and was able to finish this afternoon. Had a busy weekend, so I wasn't able to do it all right away, but I am currently posting this from my new rig. Pretty excited that it went so smoothly. Here's a couple of pictures.

Before:
IMG_20120413_205244.jpg

Right after installing the CPU (nerves a little on edge at this point haha):

IMG_20120413_211951.jpg

My attempt at cable control and making everything look nice. Next time I do this I would go modular PSU b/c that was a lot of cables to get out of the way. I think it came out okay though.

IMG_20120415_184536.jpg

Big thanks to Hazaro, and everyone else here that contributed to the thread. I could not have done this without all that help, and I really appreciate it. Any feedback or suggestions is more than welcome. I'll probably have a few questions in the next few days, but so far so good!

sk3tch

Why 3960X? Why buy a 512GB SSD to store games? Why buy 32GB of high-performance RAM?

I've done the value train (did a i5 2500k build with the help of this very thread last year - thank you all! My first build since the Celeron 300A days, heh) but it just left me wanting more. I've realized that I'm a performance whore and I can afford to pay for it, so that's what I do. It doesn't hurt that I can do kick-ass virtualization with this box, too...so it has work benefits. ;)

120hz (so you want 120fps). In his case, he's running three monitors at 120hz/fps.

And this. Thanks man.

mkenyon

Banned
Just wanted to give an update, and some huge thanks to all the helpful people here! Got all the parts for my first build on Friday, and was able to finish this afternoon. Had a busy weekend, so I wasn't able to do it all right away, but I am currently posting this from my new rig. Pretty excited that it went so smoothly. Here's a couple of pictures.

Big thanks to Hazaro, and everyone else here that contributed to the thread. I could not have done this without all that help, and I really appreciate it. Any feedback or suggestions is more than welcome. I'll probably have a few questions in the next few days, but so far so good!

Great build! Very sweet parts, and that 6870 is really capable, even compared to the brand new stuff.

Only suggestion would be to clean up those cables a bit more. You would be surprised how quickly they collect dust and how much they disrupt airflow.

I have a guide in this thread that should help you quite a bit if you are interested.

*edit*

Feist has posted the V700 before, but reposting again.

0p8Xsl.jpg

TaavNl.jpg

What I didn't notice the first time that he posted this is that it is a full ATX case. The PSU is mounted in the front! Good lawd. Also, it has a bigger brother, the V750:

0VRiVl.jpg

VWyEKl.jpg

That's 10 expansion slots in a case that is smaller than my 600T.

I'm seriously considering getting one of each (once the funds return after my month from hell). Do a full watercooled build in the 750, and a really streamlined build in the 700. Looking at the 750, I'm fairly certain I could take a jigsaw to the bottom and have room for a thick 360mm radiator and a mATX board, or a thin 360 and a full ATX, as well as remove the front HDD bays for a 240mm radiator.

Both should be at Newegg by the end of the month. Do want.

Yup, the full ATX support in the PC-V700 is why I'm so big on it. Like I said at the time, it isn't perfect, but it's a pseudo hybrid which fixes most of the issues with the PC-V600, PC-V354, and the various left/right A05 iterations.

One of the best things about the PC-V750? It'll take dual socket boards, of different "standards." Even the SR-2/SR-X will fit, but you're looking at a bit of the right side of the SR-X hanging beyond the mobo plate. Other dual sockets are a cleaner fit. Very nice high-end air/moderate water workstation build candidate.

Deciding between the two for different prospective builds. Maybe both? Maybe neither? Well, it's better than international shipping fees.

Sucks that Lian Li is still monetizing anodized interiors. They make it difficult to find "Xs." Instead, you have to go with the windowed "WX" variant, and pay extra for a clean panel, separately. Pricing doesn't much matter, these are both going to be big sellers for them.

edit: Just noticed you also mentioned potentially getting both. Of course. BTW, V700 could use a little bit more room behind the mobo, but at least slim 240s should clear most motherboard/ram combos, with at least a pair of fans. All internal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom