• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't dual-cards like the upcoming 690GTX have similar issues with some games as SLI cards do? I'm still planning on dual 680's for my build but I have a friend that was wondering, since he doesn't want to mess with getting SLI to work with anything (I don't mind tinkering).

Also, whats with URL redirects when trying to log in from my work PC? I try to log in and get invalid url redirect messages. Work PC's force me to use outdated versions of IE of course, but the problem is recent and I didn't have it before.

Hawk269

Don't dual-cards like the upcoming 690GTX have similar issues with some games as SLI cards do? I'm still planning on dual 680's for my build but I have a friend that was wondering, since he doesn't want to mess with getting SLI to work with anything (I don't mind tinkering).

Also, whats with URL redirects when trying to log in from my work PC? I try to log in and get invalid url redirect messages. Work PC's force me to use outdated versions of IE of course, but the problem is recent and I didn't have it before.

Yes, the 690 if it actually a dual gpu card is exactly like having SLI..although it is all in one card. The only reason I would say get a dual gpu is you motherboard has limitations on the amount of GPU's you can put in it. Due to heat/voltage etc...dual GPU cards are clocked at lower rates than their standalone variants, so basically any 2 individual cards in SLI will outperform a single card with 2 built in GPU's.

They do server their puposes for those with limited space etc...so they are still very good cards, but if you can run SLI with 2 cards, then it is better to go that route. Now if you want 4-way sli,. but you can only house 2 cards then 2x690's would be a lethal set up, but slower than someone that has 4-way SLI cards.

Sethos

Banned
Will ask again to be safe. I received my two Palit 4GB 680s and they are both 3 slot cards. Now, I also have to make room for my Asus Xonar Essence STX and I was settled on the Rampage IV Extreme to fit it all which it can. 'problem' is, it's a middle slot that will be free for the sound card, so it will sit right in front of the intake fans of the top card which bothers me a bit.

Any x79 "quad" motherboards out there with the additional slot at the very top or perhaps a board with a lot more breathing room between the cards, or is the Extreme still my best bet?

herod

OEM = Other Equipment Manufacturer

Generally it means that the item is not packaged for retail sale, but is intended to be used by a system builder. It's about the same as what you'd buy in a store, but without the shiny packaging.

Edit: beaten!

Not 'other', original.

I'm nearing the end of my first self-built PC, and was wondering if anybody has a good suggestion for a wireless card. Been researching online and can't seem to find a good bead on USB vs PCI.

Will ask again to be safe. I received my two Palit 4GB 680s and they are both 3 slot cards. Now, I also have to make room for my Asus Xonar Essence STX and I was settled on the Rampage IV Extreme to fit it all which it can. 'problem' is, it's a middle slot that will be free for the sound card, so it will sit right in front of the intake fans of the top card which bothers me a bit.

Any x79 "quad" motherboards out there with the additional slot at the very top or perhaps a board with a lot more breathing room between the cards, or is the Extreme still my best bet?

your sound card is PCI x1? because that's the only type of sound card you might be able to fit, and even then it might be a tight fit.

Sethos

Banned
your sound card is PCI x1? because that's the only type of sound card you might be able to fit, and even then it might be a tight fit.

Yes. It'll all fit nicely on the extreme with the exception of some GPU Intake blocking, which I'd like to avoid.

I've seen some motherboards with the x1 at the very top, hoping I could find something similar that would also seat the two cards as well with breathing room.

Ledsen

How fast do my CPU fans need to be? I'm running a 2500K@4.5GHz and atm I have a Coolermaster 212 EVO with the stock fans in a Define R3 case. I believe the stock fan goes up to 2000rpm. Thinking about getting a Gentle Typhoon, but I don't know which speed to get. Noise is a huge issue for me, but I don't want to risk the CPU getting too hot during gaming.

Ledsen

For some reason the front usb 3.0 ports on my new computer aren't working. The ones on the back work fine and the usb 2.0 ports on the front work as well. I have the usb 3.0 drivers installed from the motherboard driver disk.

The motherboard is an ASUS P8Z68-V LX -- Lucid Virtu Technology. I read somewhere that the intel z68 sometimes disables 3.0 ports on some PCIE slots? If anyone could help me figure out how to fix this(or if I even should fix it) that would be a huge help! Thank you! :)

Maybe a stupid question, but does your mobo actually have internal USB 3.0 connectors? Very few do. I know my front USB 3.0 ports don't work since I can't connect them to the mobo.

This is an expensive hobby, especially if you don't do some research first.

Yeah it is. I'm sitting on a aging Q6600 4GB DDR2 HD 4890 40GB SSD, build, wanting to get a nice DX11 card (maybe a HD7850), but after you add it all up the cost is high, even when reusing my current 1TB mechanical HDD, PSU, copy of Windows, and DVD drive.

For a decent i52500k build with a 128GB SSD (technically I dont need these, but I feel a bit squeezed with my current 40GB SSD, and it's one of those that feels like as long as you're doing a rebuild might as well go all the way), HD7850 (which isn't even that great) and a $100 budgeted for a nice modern case (mine is an old piece of crap, if I'm rebuilding anyway def need to get a new case) I end up at like $940...I can think of better things to spend a grand on, like putting new carpet in my house...

My other option is to try to OC the Q6600 to 3.2 or so and stick with it. When I went on H and asked about keeping the Q6600 they all yelled at me and told me I was stupid, and I needed a new CPU first and foremost and DO NOT buy a new GPU without one etc. However, I see benchmarks that show even a Q6600 does NOT bottleneck a lot of games, so I'm torn.

The other problem is RAM, the 4GB I have feels light for my tastes if I'm going to stick with the Q6600 for a while, but since I have a 4X1GB config, and I have old DDR2, upgrading is expensive. Best I can do is replace with 2X2GB sets, and those run $50 a pop (so it's essentially $50 for me to upgrade to 6GB, or $100 to upgrade to 8GB), and it feels sucky to sink money into a dead end build.

Figured I could pick up some old DDR2 cheapo on ebay, not so, everybody is a miser there and wants close to what I could buy new for.

So yeah my options boil down to:

Tear things up and completely new swanky rig: i52500k, new mobo, 16GB DDR3, 128 SSD, $100 case, HD7850/70=~$950

Option 2: string things along:

HD7850 plus 2X2GB DDR2 (upgrades me to 6GB)+nice air cooler ($30)+Q6600 overclock=$330. Keep everything else I already have.

Option 2, while still expensive in the real world, makes me feel better about myself. However a part of me wonders if I'll eventually grow to wish I had just gone with the clean slate build.

But anyways, say if I do option 1, that so much money. I mean, say a new next gen console came out at $500. Everybody including me would find that a tremendous amount to spend. Yet here I am contemplating 950 on a PC.

Yeah, not really too much point to this post, just kinda talkin to myself.

I guess the sucky thing to me is kinda twofold: SSD's are a mixed blessing. They're cool and all, but in the end they add another expensive must have component to every build, as a guy who's been building his own PC's for years it's definitely a change I've noticed. Second, there's is no middle path, which AMD used to provide but bulldozer sucks so bad it's gone. My only realistic CPU option is a $220 i52500k. Forget bulldozer, and trying to pick up a cheap 1100T or something on sale, just feels like a bandaid as it'll never be much faster than my Q6600 once overclocked. Gone are the days of being able to pick up a cheap, fast AMD CPU for maybe a 100 and maybe a cheap AMD mobo for 60.

ParityBit

A couple of my co-workers were having a discussion this morning about monitors. They were discussing 120 hz where one said it was a must, but the other two disagreed. I do not have a 120, nor gamed on one. What do you guys think? They are pretty pricy (and all are 3D ready)

You could buy two 27 inch for the price of one 27 online.

abasm

I mean, say a new next gen console came out at $500. Everybody including me would find that a tremendous amount to spend. Yet here I am contemplating 950 on a PC.
$500 is a lot to spend on a console, because they only perform a limited set of functions, nearly all of which are centered around entertainment. Not only that, but nobody expected the current generation to last as long as it has. ($500 for a console you'll use for 6-7 years is more reasonable than only 4-5.)

Consider this: computers need to be periodically updated. Consider what you absolutely need to buy to keep your computer running, consider how long those parts will last, and build a budget from there. Anything in excess of that bottom line could be considered "entertainment money" and spent accordingly.

abasm

A couple of my co-workers were having a discussion this morning about monitors. They were discussing 120 hz where one said it was a must, but the other two disagreed. I do not have a 120, nor gamed on one. What do you guys think? They are pretty pricy (and all are 3D ready)

It might be like an SSD situation, where once you've used one, you can't go back. Had the guy advocating 120hz monitors used one before?

Sethos

Banned

It's very individual. I've tried it and it doesn't really strike me as amazing, I'd much rather stick to my good ole' 60FPS.

1-D_FTW

Yeah it is. I'm sitting on a aging Q6600 4GB DDR2 HD 4890 40GB SSD, build, wanting to get a nice DX11 card (maybe a HD7850), but after you add it all up the cost is high, even when reusing my current 1TB mechanical HDD, PSU, copy of Windows, and DVD drive.

For a decent i52500k build with a 128GB SSD (technically I dont need these, but I feel a bit squeezed with my current 40GB SSD, and it's one of those that feels like as long as you're doing a rebuild might as well go all the way), HD7850 (which isn't even that great) and a $100 budgeted for a nice modern case (mine is an old piece of crap, if I'm rebuilding anyway def need to get a new case) I end up at like $940...I can think of better things to spend a grand on, like putting new carpet in my house...

My other option is to try to OC the Q6600 to 3.2 or so and stick with it. When I went on H and asked about keeping the Q6600 they all yelled at me and told me I was stupid, and I needed a new CPU first and foremost and DO NOT buy a new GPU without one etc. However, I see benchmarks that show even a Q6600 does NOT bottleneck a lot of games, so I'm torn.

The other problem is RAM, the 4GB I have feels light for my tastes if I'm going to stick with the Q6600 for a while, but since I have a 4X1GB config, and I have old DDR2, upgrading is expensive. Best I can do is replace with 2X2GB sets, and those run $50 a pop (so it's essentially $50 for me to upgrade to 6GB, or $100 to upgrade to 8GB), and it feels sucky to sink money into a dead end build.

Figured I could pick up some old DDR2 cheapo on ebay, not so, everybody is a miser there and wants close to what I could buy new for.

So yeah my options boil down to:

Tear things up and completely new swanky rig: i52500k, new mobo, 16GB DDR3, 128 SSD, $100 case, HD7850/70=~$950

Option 2: string things along:

HD7850 plus 2X2GB DDR2 (upgrades me to 6GB)+nice air cooler ($30)+Q6600 overclock=$330. Keep everything else I already have.

Option 2, while still expensive in the real world, makes me feel better about myself. However a part of me wonders if I'll eventually grow to wish I had just gone with the clean slate build.

But anyways, say if I do option 1, that so much money. I mean, say a new next gen console came out at $500. Everybody including me would find that a tremendous amount to spend. Yet here I am contemplating 950 on a PC.

Yeah, not really too much point to this post, just kinda talkin to myself.

I guess the sucky thing to me is kinda twofold: SSD's are a mixed blessing. They're cool and all, but in the end they add another expensive must have component to every build, as a guy who's been building his own PC's for years it's definitely a change I've noticed. Second, there's is no middle path, which AMD used to provide but bulldozer sucks so bad it's gone. My only realistic CPU option is a $220 i52500k. Forget bulldozer, and trying to pick up a cheap 1100T or something on sale, just feels like a bandaid as it'll never be much faster than my Q6600 once overclocked. Gone are the days of being able to pick up a cheap, fast AMD CPU for maybe a 100 and maybe a cheap AMD mobo for 60.

Are you running the stock Intel fan on that Q6600. Because if you have a third-party heatsink on that, those chips overclock extremely easy.

If you want to know how much of an issue your CPU is, run Process Explorer while you're gaming. This will graph how much your CPU/GPU/Memory is being utilized. If you're getting bad framerates and you see one of your CPU cores is running at 100 percent, you know you're being bottlenecked by the CPU.

As for upgrading to more than 4GB. If it's for gaming, don't waste your money. Unless you're doing a lot of multi-tasking or memory intensive editing, 4GB is plenty. Older RAM is not only expensive, it's going to literally make zero improvement for your gaming. Plus, if you do decide to overclock that, the more sticks of memory you have, the more temperamental things can get.

Ledsen

How fast do my CPU fans need to be? I'm running a 2500K@4.5GHz and atm I have a Coolermaster 212 EVO with the stock fans in a Define R3 case. I believe the stock fan goes up to 2000rpm. Thinking about getting a Gentle Typhoon, but I don't know which speed to get. Noise is a huge issue for me, but I don't want to risk the CPU getting too hot during gaming.

Anyone?

Chris R

Just ordered a 550D. I'll do some before and afters when it shows up. Piece by piece upgrades vs just doing everything at once is probably how I'm going to go, if I upgrade my mobo/cpu at all.

Would have purchased a GPU too since that is the thing that needs upgrading the most, but I'm holding off until nVidia releases the 670 :(

abasm

Quick question: What's the best way to sell off old parts? I was looking through eBay listings, and it looks like I could get at least $100-$120 for the components I won't be re-using. Would it be better to sell the gutted old machine as a single unit? Or to break it up and sell it piece by piece?

Sethos

Banned
Finally got my build locked down, I'll start ordering the parts in around 2 weeks time - Any suggestions, something I've missed or should be aware of.

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV ROG
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE - Red + Extra Fan
RAM: RipjawsX 4 x 4GB 2133MHz (Thought of going 32GB but it's overkill for even me)
HDD: Samsung 830 512GB SSD + 2 x 1TB Spinpoint F3
PSU: Seasonic SS-1000XP ( Finally they're in stock around here! )
Case: CM Cosmos II
GPU: 2 x Palit Jetstream 4GB 680 ( Already purchased ).

cilonen

Finally got my build locked down, I'll start ordering the parts in around 2 weeks time - Any suggestions, something I've missed or should be aware of.

RAM: RipjawsX 4 x 4GB 2133MHz (Thought of going 32GB but it's overkill for even me)

Man, that's going to fly. Looks superb to me!

mkenyon

Banned

Which Rampage? Hopefully the Formula, otherwise you're paying for a ton of features that are useless in an air build.

Consider waiting for the Lian Li PC-V750, due out in a week or two.

0VRiVl.jpg

VWyEK.jpg

They'll have an all black version as well.

The Cosmos II, though certainly a good air case, is mostly designed for water. You're again paying a pretty significant premium for little gain over something like the Shinobi XL or Switch 810 (or even the CM Storm Trooper).

Chris R

Which Rampage? Hopefully the Formula, otherwise you're paying for a ton of features that are useless in an air build.

0VRiVl.jpg

VWyEK.jpg

Where does the PSU go?

I thought about a Lian Li, but their cases are usually pretty spendy. Any idea on a price for this one? Looks like a nice case.

Sethos

Banned

http://i.imgur.com/0VRiVl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VWyEK.jpg

The Cosmos II, though certainly a good air case, is mostly designed for water. You're again paying a pretty significant premium for little gain over something like the Shinobi XL or Switch 810 (or even the CM Storm Trooper).

True, only thing is the price difference between Rampage and Formula is miniscule around here, so might as well go big and get BF3 as well :p

And the Cosmos II is designed for anything, it's supposed to be a massive case with tons of room which I really, really like. Plus the design looks stunning in my opinion - So the case is locked down, won't budge on that =) ( Don't like the look of that Lian Li )

Just wanted to make sure I remembered everything in my build, compatibility issues etc. money isn't an issue.

Chris R

Hmmn, that smaller one looks nice. Can't wait to see some builds and reviews (for both thermals and noise levels).

If my 550D ends up being a stinker I'll see if I can't sell it to someone else for a small loss and pick the smaller one up (assuming it is awesome) for $200.

mkenyon

Banned
Hmmn, that smaller one looks nice. Can't wait to see some builds and reviews (for both thermals and noise levels).

If my 550D ends up being a stinker I'll see if I can't sell it to someone else for a small loss and pick the smaller one up (assuming it is awesome) for $200.
I'll be sure to post mine as soon as it arrives. :p

Will probably be buying both.
True, only thing is the price difference between Rampage and Formula is miniscule around here, so might as well go big and get BF3 as well :p

And the Cosmos II is designed for anything, it's supposed to be a massive case with tons of room which I really, really like. Plus the design looks stunning in my opinion - So the case is locked down, won't budge on that =) ( Don't like the look of that Lian Li )

Just wanted to make sure I remembered everything in my build, compatibility issues etc. money isn't an issue.
I hear you. Once you reach a certain level of performance with cases, it's all subjective after that.

Going with the RoG board for a particular reason? Colors, I'm assuming, which I certainly understand.

Sethos

Banned
Going with the RoG board for a particular reason? Colors, I'm assuming, which I certainly understand.

Yeah, it's the only / few board(s) with enough room for my 2 x 4GB 680 3 Slots plus my Soundcard, that's taking up a massive ton of space on the board. Also like the colours too, but that's just a bonus but decided to buy the CPU cooler and RAM to keep the colours. Also another reason why I want to spend extra cash on the Extreme is due to the extra RAM slots. The Ripjaws I've picked have a tiny heat sink so they might cause a tiny bit of problems with the Phantek. On the Formula, they are all placed closest to the CPU socket but on the Extreme, the Red ( Primary slots ) are placed with one RAM slot in between ( the blacks ) which means I'm sure to have them seated.

cilonen

It's jaw dropping. I've posted this before but after two solid weeks of Deus Ex HR at 120fps, I fired up Fallout 3 for a quick blast and wondering around Megaton felt so stuttery I thought something had gone wrong so I tried it again with FRAPS enabled and it was a rock solid 60fps, held there by a flag in the .ini file; one quick edit of that and back to 115-120fps.

It's just really buttery smooth, so much so it's really helped my motion sickness in first person games. I don't play competitively but I'd imagine it's an edge there too.

All I know is that I won't be going back, and TBH I don't remember seeing a post / review / analysis around (tom's, anand, overclockers, HOCP) and the like from a user who has said 'I don't get it' or 'it makes no difference to me'.

Chris R

I'll be sure to post mine as soon as it arrives. :p

Will probably be buying both.

Cool, I'm interested. Wondering how the wiring will go because there doesn't seem to be any grommets near the motherboard area from what I can see, and the HDD cages with the built in power/data slots seem interesting as well (but I'd remove at least one of the cages for more room in the case, I only have a single drive anyways).

mkenyon

Banned
It's jaw dropping. I've posted this before but after two solid weeks of Deus Ex HR at 120fps, I fired up Fallout 3 for a quick blast and wondering around Megaton felt so stuttery I thought something had gone wrong so I tried it again with FRAPS enabled and it was a rock solid 60fps, held there by a flag in the .ini file; one quick edit of that and back to 115-120fps.

It's just really buttery smooth, so much so it's really helped my motion sickness in first person games. I don't play competitively but I'd imagine it's an edge there too.

All I know is that I won't be going back, and TBH I don't remember seeing a post / review / analysis around (tom's, anand, overclockers, HOCP) and the like from a user who has said 'I don't get it' or 'it makes no difference to me'.
Wish I would have seen the original question as well. The difference is one of the three most impactful changes on my PC gaming experience since I started playing them in the days of Civ, XCom, and Privateer. 3D Graphics, Broadband, and 120hz 1080p LCD monitors. Even web browsing and just using the desktop is an amazingly improved experience.

maks

Ahh, im thinking about revising the gaming build i'm working on. The USB on my older Mystique case is broken and the Z77 just came out. This is annoying me lol

ORIGINAL BUILD
CPU: Intel i2600k ($200)
MB: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 ATX ($195)
HDD: Sandisk Extreme 120gb SSD ($110)
Cooling: Coolermaster 212+ EVO ($35)
Mem: Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb DDR3 1600 ($95)
Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 750 ($0)
Case: Coolermaster Mystique ($0)
GPU: XFX Radeon 5850 ($0)
Total: $635

REVISED BUILD
MB: ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 M-ATX ($200)*
Case: Silverstone PS07B ($70)*
GPU XFX Radeon 5850 ($0)
Total: $710

*Just 2 changes for the revised build resulting in a $75 increase. A smaller case with USB 3.0 front access and a Z77 matx board. I'm totally open to suggestions on the revised build. Not sure if the 212+ EVO is best there. Which build would you guys go with?

th3dude

Didn't see anything in the OP...

Any recommended guides for OCing GPUs? I have an EVGA 570 2.5gb coming in today that is supposed to be an OC champ and I'd like to take advantage of it.

mkenyon

Banned
I like the revised build more. That Silverstone might make cable management tricky, if that's important to you, especially with a non-modular PSU.

*edit*
There aren't any hard and fast GPU overclocking guides because they're all so wildly different. Generally, take a look at reviews of your specific card and there will be an overclocking section. This will give you a good idea of the upper end of what you can accomplish. It's pretty much increase core and memory frequency, and get a stable voltage. Once you reach a speed you are happy with, start reducing voltage until it isn't stable. Go back one step and you have yourself an overclock. The Race Your PC thread has some more info.

Smokey

I ran my setup again with my 4.6 clock versus what's in the OP.

My physics score is actually worse. At 4.4 it was 10144. At 4.6 it is 9649.

4.5ghz combined score = 9067
4.6ghz combined score = 8673

OP GPU 580 SLI @ 936mhz = 14290
Current @ 932mhz = 14541

The fuck is going on here? You can see there is an inverse relationship between the CPU score AND the GPU score o_o

OP score = 12771
Current score = 12713

ugh

I've been using the following:
AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
BCLK/PEG frequency - 100 (Never Change this)
Turbo Ratio - By All Cores
EPU Power Saving Mode - Disable
VRM Frequency - Manual and 350
CPU Current Capability - 140%
CPU PLL Overvoltage - Disabled
Load-Line Calibration - Ultra High
Phase Control/Duty Control - Extreme

Now for the Voltages

CPU Voltage - Set to 1.20v which is stock CPU voltage for now
DRAM Voltage - 1.65v/1.50v etc as per your memory module label
VCCSA - Auto
VCCIO - Auto (You only need to manually set this if overclocking your memory; in which case dont go over 1.15v)
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
PCH Voltage - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Enabled
CPU configurations

CPU Ratio - Auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor - Enabled
Active Processor Cores - All
Limit CPUID Maximum - Disabled
Execute Disable Bit - Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology - AFAIK This is only necessary for F@H on a 2500k
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology - Enabled
Turbo Mode - Enabled
CPU C1E - Enabled/Auto
CPU C3 Report - Auto
CPU C6 Report - Auto

Also bumped up my voltage to 1.3 for 4.6

Ran test again and got a 12,795 score. Compared to the 12,771 in the OP. Still got a physics score of 9833. Still some 300 points less.

MEH

Any suggestions or know what could be up?

So here's my shopping cart from Newegg. Looking for input. I have an old tower someone gave me that I'm trying to upgrade solely to play Blizzard and Valve games like Diablo 3, and DOTA2. I can't think of any other PC games coming in the future that I want outside of Titan that I won't buy on consoles.

XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814150561
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$179.99

AMD Gift - Dirt3 Game Coupon - OEM
Item #: N82E16800995114
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$49.99 Saving
$49.99
$0.00

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
Item #: N82E16820231396
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$22.99

ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157241
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
-$5.00 Instant
$59.99
$54.99

Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120
Item #: N82E16819115077
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

I think I can live with the rest of the rig. Is there a possibility that the power supply would need to be upgraded to support the newer, more powerful hardware? The current one works fine. If anyone has any suggestions to have money, I'd love to hear them. Like I said, I'm just looking for a budget build to play Blizzard and Valve games.

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
So here's my shopping cart from Newegg. Looking for input. I have an old tower someone gave me that I'm trying to upgrade solely to play Blizzard and Valve games like Diablo 3, and DOTA2. I can't think of any other PC games coming in the future that I want outside of Titan that I won't buy on consoles.

XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$179.99

-$49.99 Saving
$49.99
$0.00

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
$22.99

-$5.00 Instant
$59.99
$54.99

Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120

I think I can live with the rest of the rig. Is there a possibility that the power supply would need to be upgraded to support the newer, more powerful hardware? The current one works fine. If anyone has any suggestions to have money, I'd love to hear them. Like I said, I'm just looking for a budget build to play Blizzard and Valve games.

Looks like you should be able to handle what you're looking to play. Mind you not on max quality, but I don't see that rig have any issue playing anywhere from medium-high settings.

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
Ahh, im thinking about revising the gaming build i'm working on. The USB on my older Mystique case is broken and the Z77 just came out. This is annoying me lol

ORIGINAL BUILD
MB: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 ATX ($195)
Case: Coolermaster Mystique ($0)
GPU: XFX Radeon 5850 ($0)
Total: $635

REVISED BUILD
GPU XFX Radeon 5850 ($0)

*Just 2 changes for the revised build resulting in a $75 increase. A smaller case with USB 3.0 front access and a Z77 matx board. I'm totally open to suggestions on the revised build. Not sure if the 212+ EVO is best there. Which build would you guys go with?

2600k for $200? did you mean $300? Where are you getting it for so cheap? Also, I noticed that you have a micro-atx board selected. Was that intentional? The Evo is in AWESOME cooler for $35. I'm at 4.5ghz with my 2700k. Max load it still only like 60C.

1-D_FTW

Looks like you should be able to handle what you're looking to play. Mind you not on max quality, but I don't see that rig have any issue playing anywhere from medium-high settings.

It'll handle most at almost max. Many games on max. Even a game like Dirt 3. If he's looking for a minimum framerate of 60fps/1080p, he might only need to lower one or two DX11 settings from Ultra (which, honestly, I doubt anyone would be able to spot the differences side-by-side).

2600k for $200? did you mean $300? Where are you getting it for so cheap? Also, I noticed that you have a micro-atx board selected. Was that intentional? The Evo is in AWESOME cooler for $35. I'm at 4.5ghz with my 2700k. Max load it still only like 60C.

I know Microcenter had it for that. As usual, though, it was B&M only.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm putting together a 2120 + 460 rig just so I can get some hands on experience with how capable it is. I'll take some Steam games to test if anyone wants to throw me some.

REVISED BUILD
GPU XFX Radeon 5850 ($0)

Solid. 212 Should be enough for you, gains above that are pretty minimal. EVO is nice, feist has a great post on heatsinks somewhere...

$179.99

-$49.99 Saving
$49.99
$0.00

$22.99

-$5.00 Instant
$59.99
$54.99

You can get a 6870 for $150 off Amazon or somewhere else, I think it's the HIS model. OTher than that, perfect.
I think microcenter is still running that deal.

1-D_FTW

I'm putting together a 2120 + 460 rig just so I can get some hands on experience with how capable it is. I'll take some Steam games to test if anyone wants to throw me some.

You'll be surprised at how capable it is. That's my exact set up at the moment (1GB 460). It's definitely GPU bound at that though. If a game can't do 1080P/60fps, it's exclusively on the GPU.

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
It'll handle most at almost max. Many games on max. Even a game like Dirt 3. If he's looking for a minimum framerate of 60fps/1080p, he might only need to lower one or two DX11 settings from Ultra (which, honestly, I doubt anyone would be able to spot the differences side-by-side).

I know Microcenter had it for that. As usual, though, it was B&M only.
Well, most graphics cards can be put on max :) Obviously it comes down to frame-rate. I had an XFX 6870 and I recall it chugging on max with some newer games. You're right though, with the games he's look to play he may be able to max some settings.

That Microcenter deal is gone. Unless I'm missing something. The 2700k is still $299, which is decently priced.

1-D_FTW

I wouldn't have it up there if I didn't think it was a great setup.
Do you have any benchmarks you've run?

How about doing a 3D11 run here? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454318

I posted some GTV IV benchmarks when I originally got it. For gaming, it's better than my Q9400 @ 3.4Ghz was.

Not a fan of 3D Mark tests because it gives you that puny inferiority complex number (despite the fact you can have a rig that runs most games at 1080P/60fps). So I kind of just boycott it on principal.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I posted some GTV IV benchmarks when I originally got it. For gaming, it's better than my Q9400 @ 3.4Ghz was.

Not a fan of 3D Mark tests because it gives you that puny inferiority complex number (despite the fact you can have a rig that runs most games at 1080P/60fps). So I kind of just boycott it on principal.
I posted that as easy reference to something I can compare when I get mine together, plus I was wondering if you ran things built in game ones like the Crysis bench, DMC4 bench, DIRT, etc, etc.

cilonen

While we're thinking about maxing settings, do Bethesda game auto setups troll anyone else or is it because I currently have an AMD card. Skyrim, FO3 and FNV all dutifully went off, auto-detected my 7970 and came back with the message "we recommend you play on medium settings, display settings set to medium"

Er.. I don't think so.

I mean, after having a chuckle, manually setting everything to max (I'm gaming at 1920x1080) and carrying on as normal everything's peachy but I was wondering if this is Bethesda trolling AMD users or just another indication of their crappy code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom