• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Question for PC-gaf:

I'm currently on an asus G60VX (specs) and wanting to upgrade to a desktop for later games like Planetside 2 and Guild Wars 2. I'm wondering, would it be better to try and sell the laptop outright, using the money to put towards a new desktop, or harvest it for parts?

I'm thinking, if I harvest it, I can keep things like the hard drive (still a good amount of space left, plus I wouldn't need to re-install everything, etc), and use other parts like the GPU to run a 2 card system, use the RAM in it, that sort of thing. What do you guys think?

You can't harvest laptop parts other than the hard drive. CPU, GPU, RAM etc is not compatible with desktop parts and most likely isn't removable.

Alrix

You can't harvest laptop parts other than the hard drive. CPU, GPU, RAM etc is not compatible with desktop parts and most likely isn't removable.

ah, lame. Would I be able to sell it sans-hard drive, or would no one buy it without one? I'd like to hold onto it so I wouldn't have to transfer everything, plus the cost of hard drives still appears to be high, but at the same time I don't wanna let all the rest of the laptop go to waste.

scogoth

ah, lame. Would I be able to sell it sans-hard drive, or would no one buy it without one? I'd like to hold onto it so I wouldn't have to transfer everything, plus the cost of hard drives still appears to be high, but at the same time I don't wanna let all the rest of the laptop go to waste.

You could buy a cheap laptop drive put that one in save yours but you'll have to sell it without windows.

MrBig

You're going to have a much better chance selling a laptop if they buyer does not have to purchase anything else to make it work, and if you do sell it without a hdd you will have to cut down the price to make it attractive.

_woLf

So I'm having trouble deciding between motherboards with all PCI-E slots (whether they're x16, x4, x1, etc) or motherboards with 1-2 regular PCI slots.

What all really even use regular PCI these days, that don't have a PCI-E alternative? The only thing I can come up with is sound cards, which have PCI-E versions.

Sethos

Banned
So I'm having trouble deciding between motherboards with all PCI-E slots (whether they're x16, x4, x1, etc) or motherboards with 1-2 regular PCI slots.

What all really even use regular PCI these days, that don't have a PCI-E alternative? The only thing I can come up with is sound cards, which have PCI-E versions.

It's about backwards compatibility without having to invest any further.

mkenyon

Banned
So this is the build I'm going to purchase next month. Any thoughts? I don't go overboard on the video card on the first build. I usually upgrade the videocard like two years in. I'm weird like that.

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
Model #:400R
$99.99

ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:X79 Extreme6
$249.99

XFX Double D Black Edition FX-777A-ZDB4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX ...
Model #:FX-777A-ZDB4
$149.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core ...
Model #:CMPSU-650TX
$109.99

Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820
Model #:BX80619i73820
$309.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Model #:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
$53.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:WD5000AAKX
$84.99

Logitech ClearChat Comfort USB Supra-aural Headset
Model #:981-000014
$34.99

ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card
Model #:XONAR_DG
$29.99

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Model #:AS5-3.5G
$9.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...
Model #:RR-212E-20PK-R2
$34.99

Subtotal: $1,168.89
Assuming this is not meant for gaming? If it is meant for gaming primarily, dump the X79 and 3820, go for Z77 and 2600K (if you are planning on multimedia stuff too) or 2500K (if you are playing games only). Put money saved into better videocard.

*edit*
Also, if at all possible, try to get a Samsung F3 or Caviar Black over the Cav Blue. Way more reliable.

Also give a look to the Fractal Arc Midi and Coolermaster 690II Advanced over the 400R.

Assuming this is not meant for gaming? If it is meant for gaming primarily, dump the X79 and 3820, go for Z77 and 2600K (if you are planning on multimedia stuff too) or 2500K (if you are playing games only). Put money saved into better videocard.

*edit*
Also, if at all possible, try to get a Samsung F3 or Caviar Black over the Cav Blue. Way more reliable.

Also give a look to the Fractal Arc Midi and Coolermaster 690II Advanced over the 400R.

Thanks for the info, I'll rethink my build. Should I wait for Ivy Bridge?

undecided

Do you guys know of good external sound cards? My budget is up to $50.

I don't think there are any external sound cards. You may be looking for a DAC/amp. Fiio makes some good stuff.

There are.

I have the "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go!" USB sound card and it works pretty well. I bought it since there was so much noise on the built in headphone jack of my work Dell laptop and it sounds very clear.

A noise filter probably would have done the same thing.

Hawk269

ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77

Been doing a lot of reading on Asus' ROG boards as of late and I think I'm going to move from my Asus z68 deluxe over to this guy when it hits. Really digging the black and red look and some of the features they have on here.

Was wondering when they were going to announce a ROG board. Do you or anyone know what the 2 red PCI Express slots run at. I am noticing alot of the other boards are running at x16 x8. You would think with Ivy and PCI3.0 that someone would have a board with more than one slot at x16...well other than the Evga one that is.

Hawk269

Thanks for the info, I'll rethink my build. Should I wait for Ivy Bridge?

Being this close to Ivy launch, I would recommend you wait. Once Ivy is launched all the sites will have benchmarks out and overclocking/heat benches as well. If it is for gaming a lot of sites will have gaming benches as well. Once you read about heat, power and how it performs with gaming, then you can decide which course would be best for you.

Hawk269

So when can we expect IB to show up on Amazon or Newegg?

Current rumor is Monday as the launch date, which if that is accurate, they should show up on Amazon and Newegg. But no one know for sure so it is anyone's guess right now. Which Ivy are you looking to get?

Current rumor is Monday as the launch date, which if that is accurate, they should show up on Amazon and Newegg. But no one know for sure so it is anyone's guess right now. Which Ivy are you looking to get?

Can't decide between the i5 or i7 K version. Most likely i5.

There are.

I have the "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go!" USB sound card and it works pretty well. I bought it since there was so much noise on the built in headphone jack of my work Dell laptop and it sounds very clear.

Hmm I've seen that model before, but I also saw Asus Xonar U3. Anyone have any experience with external sound cards?

I want use my Sennheiser HD 598 to its full potential. I can't get an internal sound card; it has to be external.

mkenyon

Banned
Was wondering when they were going to announce a ROG board. Do you or anyone know what the 2 red PCI Express slots run at. I am noticing alot of the other boards are running at x16 x8. You would think with Ivy and PCI3.0 that someone would have a board with more than one slot at x16...well other than the Evga one that is.
This is the second RoG Z77 board. They physically cant have 32 pci-e lanes on these boards. Not sure why it would matter though, maybe in 3+ years it will.

I'm personally not sold on ivy quite yet. The rumors about the 1.3v/4.8ghz wall bogher me a bit. Excited to see if the rumors prove true or not. However, its not as though someone is goin to miss out on much by going SB even in the last few weeks.

Hawk269

This is the second RoG Z77 board. They physically cant have 32 pci-e lanes on these boards. Not sure why it would matter though, maybe in 3+ years it will.

I'm personally not sold on ivy quite yet. The rumors about the 1.3v/4.8ghz wall bogher me a bit. Excited to see if the rumors prove true or not. However, its not as though someone is goin to miss out on much by going SB even in the last few weeks.

You sure about them not being able to have 32pci-e lanes? Newegg is now showing the new WS Asus board and the specs shows:

4 (x16/x16/0/0 or x16/x8/x8/0 or x8/x8/x8/x8)

It should be interesting to read all the reviews on these chips and how they stack up to SB.

I have not heard about the voltage/ghz wall, but there are rso many rumors going on and on, I am just going to wait to read all the benches and that will tell the real story on this new chip.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hating life right now. Got my two SSDs in. One 60 GB and one 240 GB. 60 GB for Win 7/etc with 240 for games. Everything goes well on the 60 GB one but the 240 GB is dead on arrival. Should have seen that coming. No big, I'll get it RMA'd, blah blah, whatever. The 60 GB works well. Everything is fast man. So, in the meantime, I use a 500GB HDD I have to play some games in the meantime and download the Tera beta. The game played fine before I put in the SSD, should be good now.

Nope, five BSoDs now when it ran smooth as butter before. Now, I'm left scratching my head. =/ I'm installing Skyrim to see how things go there, but I have no clue why Tera was just freak out like that now.

Everything is updated, fireware, drivers, etc. I'm perplexed.

Smokey

I'm expecting 16x single and 8x/8x SLI.

Absol

Its been a long time since I've built this PC I'm currently using and I think its time to build a new one soon-ish (hopefully).

Here is what I have so far:

http://i.minus.com/ib96UdoCyc04R.png

I don't want to spend a lot. Planning to reuse my 6850 for now and get the i5 2500k at Micro Center for $179. Any suggestions?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Decided to join PC gaming, with my first PC in my life.

Any recommendations for a good wireless mouse for gaming? The Apple magic mouse is I have is pretty bad for that...

Is the Asus Maximus V Gene still as good as the latest revision of the Maximus IV?

Any recommendations for a good wireless mouse for gaming? The Apple magic mouse is I have is pretty bad for that...

Anything is an improvement over the magic mouse.

1-D_FTW

Thanks. Looks amazing, for £100 it better be crazy good indeed

It is. But for convenience, I'd suggest buying 4 extra eneloop batteries and a 4 battery recharger if you don't already have one. This way you can rotate through the 5 batteries (1 included) and not have to recharge that often.*

*Assuming you're running wirelessly the entire time, which you'll want to do.

Ledsen

Logitech Performance MX

41rsBCBvxtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not as many buttons as the G700, but still great.

However, I have a slightly OT question that doesn't really justify a separate thread so hope you knowledgeable chaps will indulge me :).

I am rocking a steam driven XP box with a CRT monitor. I am starting to get pins and needles in my shoulders however which I attribute to having the monitor at a diagonal angle from where I am sitting. I do not wish to re-position the monitor in front of me as I would lose too much desk space.

So I am thinking of getting an LCD screen which I can position in front of me and only lose a few inches of desk space. I have space for about a 19" widescreen monitor. However, I know nothing about these at all and don't wish to fall for any simple no0b errors.

My pc is so old it would laugh itself to death if I asked it to play any contemporary pc games. I just use it for general usage purposes e.g. internet, email, a bit of video. Nothing too taxing.

Thus, where should I look for something cheap and cheerful in the 19" widescreen flatscreen market that suits my, basic, needs?

Any do's and don'ts that I should know about?

Sorry to ask such a open and elementary question but any help would be much appreciated :).

MrBig

There are.

heh, never heard of them. Don't want to venture into Fiio's stuff anyway; that's audiophile territory that will never release your soul if you ever set foot in it :(

However, I have a slightly OT question that doesn't really justify a separate thread so hope you knowledgeable chaps will indulge me :).

I am rocking a steam driven XP box with a CRT monitor. I am starting to get pins and needles in my shoulders however which I attribute to having the monitor at a diagonal angle from where I am sitting. I do not wish to re-position the monitor in front of me as I would lose too much desk space.

So I am thinking of getting an LCD screen which I can position in front of me and only lose a few inches of desk space. I have space for about a 19" widescreen monitor. However, I know nothing about these at all and don't wish to fall for any simple no0b errors.

My pc is so old it would laugh itself to death if I asked it to play any contemporary pc games. I just use it for general usage purposes e.g. internet, email, a bit of video. Nothing too taxing.

Thus, where should I look for something cheap and cheerful in the 19" widescreen flatscreen market that suits my, basic, needs?

Sorry to ask such a open and elementary question but any help would be much appreciated :).

Since it won't be directly in front of you, you'll probably be happier with an IPS panel, which retains image quality from almost any direction you look at it.
This Asus looks like it might fit the bill, but read up on reviews of this and others.

1-D_FTW

How exactly do you plan on positioning the monitor in relation to your seating position?

Monoprice has lots of cheap VESA mounting arms that sound like it'd be perfect for you (and would take almost zero space on the desk).

Ledsen

heh, never heard of them. Don't want to venture into Fiio's stuff anyway; that's audiophile territory that will never release your soul if you ever set foot in it :(

Since it won't be directly in front of you, you'll probably be happier with an IPS panel, which retains image quality from almost any direction you look at it.
This Asus looks like it might fit the bill, but read up on reviews of this and others.

He's saying the LCD will be directly in front of him because it's smaller than the CRT, so he should be fine with a TN assuming he can stand the horrible color gradient from top to bottom.

Thanks but actually it would be directly in front of me if I proceeded with the scenario I put in my previous post. Sorry if that wasn't clear :).

How exactly do you plan on positioning the monitor in relation to your seating position?

Monoprice has lots of cheap VESA mounting arms that sound like it'd be perfect for you (and would take almost zero space on the desk).

Directly in front of me; I have a shelving unit on my desk which I don't want to lose and there's enough room to fit about a 19" widescreen LCD type monitor in that space which would work quite well. I would only lose a few inches from the desk space due to the shallow depth of the flat screen so I would be quite happy with that. Being in front of me I am thinking that it would be much more comfortable and my current monitor is not widescreen so it would be nice to have that.

So what do you think? Budget LCD okay for me given my modest spec needs?

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005G9GGGC/

zulfate

so i just built my girlfriend a computer but now every once in a while the screen locks up showing a black background with purple squares everywhere. is this maybe a hardware issue or maybe a driver issue

edit: well it just goes straight to blue screen of death now...damn so it is hardware right? man this is the most annoying thing for someone who is learning how to build pcs lol. how the hell do i find the problem.

EDIT 2: ok even in safe mode it will bsod but i see that it says page fault in nonpage header
and once time i quickly said bad pool header.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't wait for next gen consoles. Think its time for me to get back into pc gaming. I'm on a budget of around $700 for a gaming desktop pc. Already have the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Main reason is for mmo's such as Tera Online and hopefully next gen console ports. Will these stats likely keep up with next gen consoles?

Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 - 125
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1460-KR - 160
Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 -
ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel Motherboard - 108
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX
Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST - 19
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply

Seems like a pretty good system for under $700, but I honestly don't know much about what constitutes the best bang for the buck gaming PCs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link from the PC website that came up with these specs if anyone is interested.

abasm

I'm currently eBaying some unused gaming stuff with the hopes of getting enough to buy a 120 Hz monitor. I tend to feel "fuzzy-headed" after long periods of time at the computer, which I attribute to the 60 Hz display; am I correct in believing that a doubled refresh rate will alleviate brain-strain?

I can't wait for next gen consoles. Think its time for me to get back into pc gaming. I'm on a budget of around $700 for a gaming desktop pc. Already have the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Main reason is for mmo's such as Tera Online and hopefully next gen console ports. Will these stats likely keep up with next gen consoles?

Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 - 125
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1460-KR - 160
Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 -
ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel Motherboard - 108
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX
Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST - 19
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply

Seems like a pretty good system for under $700, but I honestly don't know much about what constitutes the best bang for the buck gaming PCs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link from the PC website that came up with these specs if anyone is interested.

Everything is fine expect for that processor. Unless you either plan on replacing it shortly afterwards I would try to save up some more money or skimp out on something else *except the PSU and perhaps the GPU*. Can pick up a Core i5 2500K for 40-50 more if you search around for them.

Everything is fine expect for that processor. Unless you either plan on replacing it shortly afterwards I would try to save up some more money or skimp out on something else *except the PSU and perhaps the GPU*. Can pick up a Core i5 2500K for 40-50 more if you search around for them.

Thanks for the help! I'll look into that.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to fix this problem. My USB ports on the motherboard seem to be acting up wierdly usb 2.0 and 3.0 . My logitech mx518 mouse plugged in the motherboard will once in a while will disconnect and connect again, acting all wierd. This eventually affected my keyboard as it was plugged into usb 2.0 also next to the mouse and computer couldnt find the software for it or something. There were no problems for months and it just started happening recently, why is this?

Specs:
Mobo: ASROCK P67 extreme4
i5 2500k

Ricky_R

Ok guys. I want to see what should I change or upgrade in order to be able to play current and upcoming technically demanding games at 60fps without sacrificing much of the other stuff. I don't want/need for it to run the game at maximum without hiccups, I just want to be able to run the game as smooth as possible at high or even medium, but with AA, etc.

Here are my specs. I tried to look for as much detail about it as possible.

PC: HP Pavilion p6140f
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2333 MHz
CPU Type: 2x Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2333 MHz
RAM: 8GB of DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)
VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 5670 Graphics
POWER SUPPLY: Thermaltake 430w

Hope the info is enough. Thanks in advance.

Xx AmAzE xX

Neo Member
Hey guys, so I have already decided on my case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352011

It's a Mini tower so I just had two questions for you guys:

1. Which mATX motherboard do you guys recommend? (There isn't much Mini Tower stuff in the OP)

2. Am I limited, because of space constraints, in what graphics card I can purchase. I was planning on getting a 7870, that would be able to fit in this case no problem right?

The case arrives sometime this week (have to check it out before I buy the other parts) so hopefully this stuff will make more sense once I get it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Wow, you are right. I wonder how I only managed to find the expensive bundles, will get one of these on order now.

My Eneloops are ready

You're going to need it, battery life is terrible. Why they built a high performance mouse that uses only one AA is beyond me.

Mine's plugged in 100% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom