• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

I'm pretty terrible with normal operating temps so quick question. Is 90c normal for an idling i5 2400 @ 3.10?
That seems dangerously high. I've never even seen a GPU or mobile CPU get that high as far as temps (70C-ish for GPU and 60-ish for CPU load is the highest I'm comfortable with before I start to look into better cooling or reseating my heatsink).

If that's actually 90F, on the other hand, it's fine.

Just for reference, 30C is normal idle temperature for my 2500k.

MrBig

So about the Asus P8Z77-V and fans. My case has 4 fans and the mobo only has 3 case fan headers, so I figured I would plug 1 fan (top exhaust) into the CPU_OPT header, and assumed I would still be able to control it that way. Nope. The CPU fan headers are hardwired to only be controlled via PWM and they cannot be controlled separately. So is there any problem with having a 3-pin fan plugged into the CPU header like that, if it's not a PWM fan, not the same kind of fan, and on the same circuit as the PWM CPU fan?

Thinking I maybe should have gotten the Pro version which has 4 case fan connectors.

CPU_OPT is PWM only on the Z77-V lineup. The rest are both PWM and voltage controlled.

Shambles

I'm pretty terrible with normal operating temps so quick question. Is 90c normal for an idling i5 2400 @ 3.10?

Oh dear is there even a heat sink on the CPU? Either it's not mounted properly, doesn't have thermal paste between the cpu and cooler (even still i don't think it would idle that hot if that was the case), or when installing the CPU cooler you forgot to remove the plastic sticker on the bottom of the cooler that keeps the contact surface nice and clean.

mkenyon

Banned
Mkenyon, if you remember I got the seagate barracuda 500GB on Amazon for my build cause I couldn't find anything in the same price range, how screwed I'm I? are they that bad? fuck :(
It's all based on chance. You might have one that fails, you might have one that lasts until you can't even use it anymore. It's just that the chances of the former go up with Seagate Barracudas.
Parts list
Any interest in upgrading the case?

Food for thought - BitFenix Shinobi XL

1171935819_1847147469_o.jpg

NZXT Switch 810

NZXT_Switch_810_Full_Tower_01-500x375.jpg

Fractal Define XL

fractal-xl-16-s.jpg

If you like the 'gamer' aesthetic, Coolermaster Storm Trooper:

cooler-master-storm-trooper_slideshow_main.jpg

Coolermaster HAFXM

Cooler_Master_HAF_XM_Angle.jpg

ProXimity

Banned
Is an ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB really compatible with the GeForce GTX 670 2GB? A friend of mine said that the motherboard uses PCI 16 Express but the 600 series uses PCI 3.0. I looked up the specs for the motherboard and it said it had 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, so it's sending mixed messages. What's the truth here?

Mkenyon, thanks for the suggestions. How much more expensive are those cases? Will I have overheating problems with my currently selected case? Will the cooling system work properly? And again, what should I make sure I do or have to prepare for putting this together. It's the first time I've built a rig and I'm assuming I'll have to actually assemble the thing from scratch. I'm worried I might not even have the tools or experience to do it without breaking it and wasting my money.

Shambles

Is an ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB really compatible with the GeForce GTX 670 2GB? A friend of mine said that the motherboard uses PCI 16 Express but the 600 series uses PCI 3.0. I looked up the specs for the motherboard and it said it had 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, so it's sending mixed messages. What's the truth here?

Mkenyon, thanks for the suggestions. How much more expensive are those cases? Will I have overheating problems with my currently selected case? Will the cooling system work properly? And again, what should I make sure I do or have to prepare for putting this together. It's the first time I've built a rig and I'm assuming I'll have to actually assemble the thing from scratch. I'm worried I might not even have the tools or experience to do it without breaking it and wasting my money.

GPUs are backwards compatible. You won't even see any performance benefit going from 16X on PCI-E 2.0 to PCI-E 3.0. Your GPU will work fine in your PCI-E 2.0 motherboard. Just like SSD's that support SATA3, you can still plug them in and use them in SATA2 (Although in this case you do lose performance)

mkenyon

Banned

Ignore poster above. That's a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard. But, yeah, it's all backwards and forwards compatible. It's just bandwidth specifications.

They're all about $150, but sooooooooo much better than that Azza. It's literally the physical embodiment of your computer. The fans, the material, the casing, it's a big part of it. When you're putting in serious hardware like that that has a ton of room for further improvments, it's a good idea to have a case that can surely accommodate any change you might do.

All you'll need is a few screwdrivers.

CPU_OPT is PWM only on the Z77-V lineup. The rest are both PWM and voltage controlled.

Er, yes, I knew that. What I'm asking is if there's any problem with putting a non-PWM fan on the CPU_OPT. I mean other than not being able to control it independently.

K' Dash

It's all based on chance. You might have one that fails, you might have one that lasts until you can't even use it anymore. It's just that the chances of the former go up with Seagate Barracudas.

Well, let's hope I have one that works like it should be, my next big purchase will be a 128GB SSD, so it just have to last the next 2 months.

JayDub

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but the benefit of going X79 is that X79 has 40 lanes, Z68 has 16 (via PCI 2.0) and Z77 has 16 as well (via PCI 3.0). The benefit of PCI 3.0, 16x is twice the speed of 2.0? Because SLI 8x/8x on PCI 3.0 is equivalent to 16x/16x on 2.0?

I also need clarification with the PCI 3.0 for X79. Is it controlled via third party controller on the mobos that claim to have it? Is the speed just as good?

Im trying to decide between X79 and Z77...mainly because I want to SLI. I would like the benefits of a (relatively) future proof system in case I ever want to go Ivy-E. I would like the benefits of the 40 lanes on X79, the extra cores and performance..but I would also like PCI 3.0 and SATA 3.0. Also, do X79 boards have USB 3.0 headers on them?

mkenyon

Banned
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but the benefit of going X79 is that X79 has 40 lanes, Z68 has 16 (via PCI 2.0) and Z77 has 16 as well (via PCI 3.0). The benefit of PCI 3.0, 16x is twice the speed of 2.0? Because SLI 8x/8x on PCI 3.0 is equivalent to 16x/16x on 2.0?

I also need clarification with the PCI 3.0 for X79. Is it controlled via third party controller on the mobos that claim to have it? Is the speed just as good?

Im trying to decide between X79 and Z77...mainly because I want to SLI. I would like the benefits of a (relatively) future proof system in case I ever want to go Ivy-E. I would like the benefits of the 40 lanes on X79, the extra cores and performance..but I would also like PCI 3.0 and SATA 3.0. Also, do X79 boards have USB 3.0 headers on them?
1. Spot on.

2. It's actually controlled by the CPU.

3. We are right now maxing out PCI-E 2.0 x8. PCI-E 3.0 x8 is totally, fine, which ivybridge + z77 or z68 gen 3 will give you.

MrBig

Er, yes, I knew that. What I'm asking is if there's any problem with putting a non-PWM fan on the CPU_OPT. I mean other than not being able to control it independently.

If you just put a 3-pin on there wouldn't be a problem besides it would just be going full blast at all times sans a way to control it.

This last week has the been the worst for me as far as computing goes, my journey.

Brutal! I was afflicted by BSODs for a week after doing my (first ever) build. "Memory Management" I think the error message was. Everything I seemed to read pointed to a driver problem rather than a hardware one. Much to my surpise that during a reinstall of Windows I discovered it actually was a bad ram stick. RMA'd the old ram, ordered a new set, and life has been peachy since.

DSN2K

becoming increasingly difficult to find phenom II X4 or X6 in the UK, many aren't stocking them anymore whats a shame...they are still decent CPU's and what AMD have replaced them with are not impressive.

mkenyon

Banned
Can always count on specialguy to give us the latest in positive AMD news.

Haha thanks. I just find it interesting how Nvidia's Boost tech, likely cherry picked review cards that boost higher (dont get me wrong all mfrs do this, difference is it's now effecting stock reviews), and 7970's low stock clocks (AMD has admitted it probably should have been clocked at 1ghz default) have been a perfect storm for Nvidia. I get the feeling 680 is outselling 7970 heavily, and a lot of it because of AMD's mismanagement and failure to get the word out imo.

In the longer term future I suspect AMD needs to plagiarize a boost type system for themselves. I only wonder if they'll do it since well, they're AMD and dont like to compete.

In other news, damn I love the looks of that cooler master HAFXM case. Up there with the Corsair'a in looks for me. Shame it's about $30 over my price range imo.

Sethos

Banned
This was pretty much confirmed even the day 680s were released. 7970 overclocked though is *unbearably* loud, despite having a lot more headroom.

Indeed. Everyone knew the 7970 clocked higher and performed better in pure numbers - There's just a reason why lots of people opt for Nvidia and that isn't just numbers.

So AMD Trinity reviews are out, am I correct that Trinity has actual final Piledriver cores as they will show up in desktop parts in the future?

If so, it's the case that Piledriver (specifically, IPC) is not that much an improvement on Bulldozer (from what I can glean from Trinity CPU benchmarks) correct?

mkenyon

Banned
Nah, not fanboyism. I have/had a 7970 and 690. The 7970 reference design is great for cooling performance, but crap for noise. the DCUII Version is pretty sweet, but still gets crazy loud when you push it's OC. The 680/690/670 by contrast stays quiet, but that's because the clocks/voltages are dynamic, and the card automatically throttles when it gets to 70C, which means it never really gets that loud.

*edit*
What I mean to say, in a concise format, is that the OC capabilities only matter for benching. It's not something that is an option for every day use due to the noise generated. If water is what you are aiming for, then it's completely different.

MrBig

So, assuming the DCUII TOP is going to be exorbitantly priced, would it be a better idea to go with the normal DCUII or the Gigabyte, assuming they are both $400? I'm going for a more quiet build but I don't want to sacrifice performance seeing as how I will be playing at 2560x1400. I'm fine with overclocking myself, but have never messed with voltages and such, just clocks in Nvidia Inspector.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Could do with one more once-over from GAF before I pull the trigger. All I really need is a wink so I know I'm not bottlenecking or anything and I'll be off to start my first PC build thanks to NeoGAF.

Your Current Specs: Dell Studio 15 Laptop (just graduated from being a poor student to a slightly less poor office drone)

Budget: < or = ~1100 USD

Main Use:
Gaming 5
General Use 4
HD Streaming 3
Emulation n/a
3D Work n/a

Monitor Resolution: 720 or 1080 and yes I am looking to purchase a monitor.

List of SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play:

Witcher 2, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Bioshock Series, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 3 (lol)

Will you be overclocking: Maybe (I realise this means yes but I never have before so I probably won't until warranties run out)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Already have a WD HD that I'll be cannibalizing for the bulk of my shit, SSD is for OS and drivers. That is the whole point of going dual HDs with one being an SSD right? I guess I'm confused on what should and shouldn't be installed on the SSD vs the regular mechanical HD.

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card

Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Monitor: Acer S201HLbd 20.0" Monitor

Cheapest decent I could find, if anyone knows of something better within the sub 200 ballpark let me know.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Once again, thank you all very much.

JayDub

1. Spot on.

2. It's actually controlled by the CPU.

3. We are right now maxing out PCI-E 2.0 x8. PCI-E 3.0 x8 is totally, fine, which ivybridge + z77 or z68 gen 3 will give you.

Thanks for reply kenyon! Regards to number 2 and 3, controlled by an IB CPU, but not an SB-E, correct? SB-E currently does not have PCI 3.0 support?

Sethos

Banned
Thanks for reply kenyon! Regards to number 2 and 3, controlled by an IB CPU, but not an SB-E, correct? SB-E currently does not have PCI 3.0 support?

SB-E is capable of PCI 3.0 if the board is Gen 3 supported and the display drivers have the board certified.

Chris R

So, assuming the DCUII TOP is going to be exorbitantly priced, would it be a better idea to go with the normal DCUII or the Gigabyte, assuming they are both $400? I'm going for a more quiet build but I don't want to sacrifice performance seeing as how I will be playing at 2560x1400. I'm fine with overclocking myself, but have never messed with voltages and such, just clocks in Nvidia Inspector.

It is supposedly only going to be $420 retail price. Just need to order it now, got my case and motherboard in today and the CPU can't be too far behind.

Chris R

Is there anything inherently wrong with running a system without a GPU? Should have everything for my rig except for my GPU by tomorrow (well I hope, my CPU is the only thing missing and was due to show up yesterday...). Would be nice to just build it now and pop the GPU in when I get it, but I'm not sure if that might cause a few issues with drivers down the road.

TheCrow

Is there anything inherently wrong with running a system without a GPU? Should have everything for my rig except for my GPU by tomorrow (well I hope, my CPU is the only thing missing and was due to show up yesterday...). Would be nice to just build it now and pop the GPU in when I get it, but I'm not sure if that might cause a few issues with drivers down the road.
Shouldn't be a problem. That's what I did for a week before the 670 released.

Chris R

Shouldn't be a problem. That's what I did for a week before the 670 released.

I'm still waiting on the Asus 670 to get in stock :| Was just making sure it wasn't going to require a reinstall of Windows.

Going to have to take a bunch of pictures though, going from hot trash to super sexy :D The 16GB of ram I have looks nice in the Gene V.

TheCrow

Nice, I have the Gene V as well except I got that samsung ram which is not exactly a looker. But yeah I had no issues with drivers or windows 7 after I installed the 670. Looking forward to the pictures and hopefully the asus 670 is released soon.

Bread

Banned
Nevermind, the $420 build in the OP looks pretty good, I could probably just man up and do the work if it's that cheap.

mkenyon

Banned
I've waited too long to buy a nice gaming pc, I think I'll finally do it within the next couple weeks. I'm not looking to break the bank on an updated pc to max out the newest games, I just want a mid-range but upgradable computer so I can spend more money in the future.

If I'm looking to spend $400-500 on a desktop now, what are my best options?
OP!

ProXimity

Banned
What hard drive works best for this build between the two I selected? Is saving the extra $10 worth it? Also, do I need a higher wattage power supply?

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($47.27 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($278.94 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($117.09 @ Compuvest)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL Titanium Grey ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1905.20
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-17 00:25 EDT-0400)

So more like 1800 once I pick a hard drive. Is there anything I should be worried about? Any last minute bargains I can take advantage of (as in, are there some cheaper alternatives to some of these parts that still provide comparable performance)?

I can't find much -good- information on overclocking a 3570k. I would like to know the expected safe temperatures and Vcore for a 4.5GHz overclock. The build I'm working on right now isn't entirely stable (Prime95 usually has an error after ~45 minutes).

I'm also having a temperature reading issue:
While running Prime95, HWMonitor is telling me core temperatures in the mid-50s to low-60s at the same time RealTemp is saying high-60s to mid-70s. I've tried running one monitor and then the other to make sure there aren't software conflicts from running both at the same time, and I get the same readings either way. Which program should I trust to be correct?

Also, I don't get why HWMonitor is telling me the CPU Package temperature is so much higher than the cores. On my 2500k the package is almost always the same as the cores. Should I even worry about the package since RealTemp doesn't report it?

colinp

Banned
I want to game via my HDTV. If I build a PC, can I plug it in to my HDTV via HDMI and expect to be able to install Windows 7? Or do I first need to hook it up to a regular monitor...?

Right now I just have a laptop.

I want to game via my HDTV. If I build a PC, can I plug it in to my HDTV via HDMI and expect to be able to install Windows 7? Or do I first need to hook it up to a regular monitor...?

Right now I just have a laptop.

You can plug either your PC or laptop to your HDTV. Just depends on what connections they use. If they're new, they'll have HDMI.

colinp

Banned
You can plug either your PC or laptop to your HDTV. Just depends on what connections they use. If they're new, they'll have HDMI.

Right, I can plug my laptop in right now it's just too weak for gaming...

But a newly built computer with say a HD 6850 that has an HDMI out, when I power it on for the first time connected to my TV it will show the BIOS and all that? It will recognize the TV?

Sorry, I've been out of the PC game for a loooong time so this is all new to me. ;)

Right, I can plug my laptop in right now it's just too weak for gaming...

But a newly built computer with say a HD 6850 that has an HDMI out, when I power it on for the first time connected to my TV it will show the BIOS and all that? It will recognize the TV?

Sorry, I've been out of the PC game for a loooong time so this is all new to me. ;)

Yes it should. Your TV will pretty much be just a monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom