• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the stuck one to retract, now I just have this one that won't clamp down with pliers. Took a picture.

WwXIG.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Turn where the arrows point to unlock it, then pull up.
Turn it back, then when mounted push the pins in.

Read the manual yo

clav

What's not clear is the arrow turning is only used for dismounting the Intel heatsink.
When you mount the heatsink, you're only supposed to push in, not turn.

Do what Hazaro says. Turn the arrow direction (clockwise) and pull up until it clicks.

MrBig

Here's my build and the temporary set-up I have it in
I'm so glad I pulled this off without any major issues

Biggest mistake I made was not reading the directions and so using the HDD screws to secure the mobo. Got that sorted out though.

Next up I need to sell off my laptop to get a data drive or two and my monitor.

DeVeAn

Here's my build and the temporary set-up I have it in
I'm so glad I pulled this off without any major issues

Biggest mistake I made was not reading the directions and so using the HDD screws to secure the mobo. Got that sorted out though.

Next up I need to sell off my laptop to get a data drive or two and my monitor.

Cool! I have the same case and opened it back up and did some cable management. Damn Corsair HX isn't fully modular. Cable management was a pain plus I have that Asus 570 which is HUGE.

MrBig

Thanks

I've seen it spike as high as 80, but it stays in the low 70s as it did with the panels off.

One thing though: the sata power cables are upside down, as if the PSU was designed to be mounted from the top only. Makes it only possible to use two connectors per cable.

mkenyon

Banned
Those cables on the HX are such a pain to work with. Take a hobby knife to the plastic bits between the cables, and if you get a small enough holes, you can just pull on the wires to make it larger. Helps a ton for when you need to bend them in a certain way.
Thanks

I've seen it spike as high as 80, but it stays in the low 70s as it did with the panels off.

One thing though: the sata power cables are upside down, as if the PSU was designed to be mounted from the top only. Makes it only possible to use two connectors per cable.
You don't need to keep it flat, you can bend it over itself.

DeVeAn

Those cables on the HX are such a pain to work with. Take a hobby knife to the plastic bits between the cables, and if you get a small enough holes, you can just pull on the wires to make it larger. Helps a ton for when you need to bend them in a certain way.

You don't need to keep it flat, you can bend it over itself.

Question for ya! So you mentioned earlier about using an HDD for data and a SSD for OS and programs. Is there an easy way to move the User folders to the data drive?

MisterNoisy

Question for ya! So you mentioned earlier about using an HDD for data and a SSD for OS and programs. Is there an easy way to move the User folders to the data drive?

I don't usually move the 'Users' folders (I'm the only user for my machines), but I do change all the references for Windows library folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) to a location on the storage drive.

Open 'Computer', then right-click the library folder you want to modify in the left column, then click 'Properties'.

Click 'Include a Folder', then navigate to the Folder on your storage drive you want to use and OK your way through it. Then click to highlight that folder and click 'Set save location'.

1uGFA.png

Two weeks overdue in posting this, but I just wanted to thank Hazaro for the awesome OP and recommendations and such. Built my first pc based off the "excellent" build and it turned out great!...despite me having a few panic attacks (I was so paranoid I was going to break something in half that i ended up having a few problems with not having my cpu and ram all the way in lol)

DeVeAn

I don't usually mode the 'Users' folders (I'm the only user for my machines), but I do change all the references for Windows library folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) to a location on the storage drive.

Open 'Computer', then right-click the library folder you want to modify in the left column, then click 'Properties'.

Click 'Include a Folder', then navigate to the Folder on your storage drive you want to use and OK your way through it. Then click to highlight that folder and click 'Set save location'.

1uGFA.png

Thanks! I just have a ton of stuff in that folder so I want it off the SSD.

MisterNoisy

Thanks! I just have a ton of stuff in that folder so I want it off the SSD.

Note that you will still have to actually transfer the files that are already stored in the current location to the new location, but aside from that, you should be good to go.

DeVeAn

Note that you will still have to actually transfer the files that are already stored in the current location to the new location, but aside from that, you should be good to go.

Well I don't have the SSD installed yet just trying to prep for a clean install on it. Any recommened videos for the process? I like the guy from NCIX on youtube. Maybe there is a better video?

Fox1304

I'm currently having a hard time trying to over clock my old processor, an AMD Athlon 64 X2, 1900 MHz (9.5 x 200) 3600+.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P and for memory I have two 1 Go DDR2-667 ECC DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

I've managed to boot with a 2.5Ghz overclocking, but I can't seem to find any settings that would allow me to go further.

I'm a bit lost about the relation between the CPU settings and RAM frequency/timings settings. Does one have to be made according to the other or something ?

MrBig

Well I don't have the SSD installed yet just trying to prep for a clean install on it. Any recommened videos for the process? I like the guy from NCIX on youtube. Maybe there is a better video?

For installing it? Just plug in the sata power/data cables just like you would an HDD. For setting it up go through this.

Chris R

Yay, everything installed finally last night. Going to do a bit more tiding up at some point in the future, probably when I get another fan for my exhaust. System is pretty quiet (loudest thing is my PSU) Only things left in the build is to put a window on my door. Very happy overall with how everything came together.

Maximus Gene V, 3770k, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, 670. Should last me a loooooong time, even have space for SLI down the road if I feel the need too.

Karmum

Banned
How long does an RMA usually take from EVGA? I think I'll just RMA my second GTX 460, I'm kind of getting annoyed of black screens, even when it's slightly overclocked. No point in letting my primary GTX 460 suffer, it goes through 3DMark11 850 core and 2075 memory clock without a problem. Can barely do 825 core and 1900ish memory without problems.

MrBig

Only problem I have left to solve is my Xonar DG. atm it's just uselessly sitting in there since I can't find a way to install drivers for it an make it work. Hopefully Uni Xonar drivers are update to support the W8 RP soon

e: figured someone else would be under the same circumstances; checked the comment thread on the uni xonar post and someone solved it by disabling driver enforcement. Worked for me as well.

Yay, everything installed finally last night. Going to do a bit more tiding up at some point in the future, probably when I get another fan for my exhaust. System is pretty quiet (loudest thing is my PSU) Only things left in the build is to put a window on my door. Very happy overall with how everything came together.

Maximus Gene V, 3770k, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, 670. Should last me a loooooong time, even have space for SLI down the road if I feel the need too.

what case is that?

Lulubop

Need some advice. I have a i5 750, and I'm having problems with my Motherboard. I'm thinking about getting a new Mobo, but I'm wondering if it's just worth it to upgrade to a 3570k.ywaany.

mkenyon

Banned
Silverstone PS07W

Review here, haven't watched it yet.

How are you liking the case? Pro's and con's? Love to keep my eye on the mATX cases as I do a lot of SFF gaming builds for friends. This is a pretty one that I'd love to be able to recommend.
Need some advice. I have a i5 750, and I'm having problems with my Motherboard. I'm thinking about getting a new Mobo, but I'm wondering if it's just worth it to upgrade to a 3570k anyway.
Only you can really answer that. It's not a huge leap by any means, but it also seems silly to get a 1156 motherboard. If you like to overclock, the 2500K is still a better bet most of the time.

Chris R

Great case, only a few minor issues. The screws going on and off strip the paint (not a big issue, just a minor gripe seeing flecks of white paint around when I was assembling it) and the space behind the motherboard tray isn't terrific, but even with the little space available I was able to fit all of my extra cables. The case also comes with a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter so I was able to totally remove the hard drive cage (my secondary drive lives just below the DVD drive now).

Nice and silent, and I like that it comes with dust filters since my house is pretty dusty. Need to see what the temperatures look like though once I start to overclock a bit. If they get too high I'll see if adding an additional fan for exhaust brings them down because right now I just have the two intakes.

Basically the only thing I'd like to see from it would be just a bit more space behind the motherboard, but after cramming stuff in there it becomes a non issue. Having the entire thing made out of aluminum wouldn't hurt either as I plan on bringing it around to my friends house often for gaming.

knitoe

Just received received my $346 Korean Crossover Q27 IPS 27" 2560X1440 monitor from ebay, only took 3 days from South Korea. The picture is amazing and easily beats my old NEC EA231WMII IPS. Many Korean companies sell these rejected LG panels which are suppose to go to the top end $1000 Apple Cinema, Dell and etc. displays. The panels are rated A- compare to the non rejected A+. When, you buy one there's a chance you have <5 dead and/or stuck pixel(s), some light bleeding and so on. In my case, no dead / stuck pixels, but slight bottom corner bleeding and what looks to be a speck of dirt on the bottom edge of the screen.

Pictures can't do these monitors justice, especially from a iphone camera.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I highly recommend anyone looking for a new monitor to think about going this route. Now, I might have to upgrade to SLI 680 or a 690 to power this bad boy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just making sure, these parts should work together correct:

Yup! I'd recommend getting the low profile RAM listed in the OP (ARES/Vengeance) or the 30nm 1.35V Samsung Sticks.
Just received received my $346 Korean Crossover Q27 IPS 27" 2560X1440 monitor from ebay, only took 3 days from South Korea. The picture is amazing and easily beats my old NEC EA231WMII IPS. Many Korean companies sell these rejected LG panels which are suppose to go to the top end $1000 Apple Cinema, Dell and etc. displays. The panels are rated A- compare to non rejected A+. When, you buy one there's a chance you have <5 dead and/or stuck pixel(s), some light bleeding and so on. In my case, no dead / stuck pixels, but slight bottom corner bleeding and what looks to be a speck of dirt on the bottom edge of the screen.

Pictures can't do these monitors justice, especially from a iphone camera.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I highly recommend anyone looking for a new monitor to think about going this route. Now, I might have to upgrade to SLI 680 or a 690 to power this bad boy.
Was about to ask if you bought it off eBay... but re-read.
What made you go with that model?

IIRC I was looking at a few things and came across this model and one other one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3VIEW-PCBAN...8285?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item256ed8496d

RS4-

I was going to get one of those 27"s until people started having problems with them.

Quite a few with them DOA or having smoke come out of 'em

knitoe

Was about to ask if you bought it off eBay... but re-read.
What made you go with that model?

IIRC I was looking at a few things and came across this model and one other one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3VIEW-PCBAN...8285?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item256ed8496d
I went with Crossover 27Q for looks. It's encase in metal, front and back. It doesn't come with a built in scaler, would add some lag, so you can't connect none native res device, something like a game console. Also, supposedly, it has the best stand of all of them. You can only pivot, but no moving up / down. I have another stand coming from Buy.com for it.

Even though I didn't buy from him, I would suggest you go ebay seller Accessorieswhole. He gives you the correct voltage plug, guarantees 2 or less pixel issue and a 30 day return. Most people recommend him.
I was going to get one of those 27"s until people started having problems with them.

Quite a few with them DOA or having smoke come out of 'em
From the threads I have read, most(90%?) have close to perfect panels. I think the big issue is wrong power plug voltage.

hypernima

Banned
Can anyone tell me about the Corsair RAM like vengeance/dominator? My friend is recommending it for me over the samsung because I'll be doing video work/3D more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can anyone tell me about the Corsair RAM like vengeance/dominator? My friend is recommending it for me over the samsung because I'll be doing video work/3D more.
RAM is the same shit and the performance boost from 1600 to 1866 is extremely minimal.
It's all costs the same, runs at the same speeds, and they all have lifetime warranties.

*If you are talking about the 30nm 1.35V Samsung sticks then that is a clear good buy if you overclock them to 2133Mhz or something and are comfortable running low voltage higher than normal and overclocked.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Samsung RAM overclocks to faster than the Corsair anyways (though I wouldn't bother if you're not inclined...performance gains will be minimal).

I did some googling for LCD computer monitors which led me to the TN vs IPS comparison which reminded of the old LCD vs Plasma wars (feels like 2007 all over again)

So, from what I gathered the TN models got:

-Better response time
-Cheaper
-Bad viewing angles

As for the IPSs:

-Worse response time but still acceptable for gaming
-Better viewing angles
-Better colors
-Black levels not so great
-More expensive

From people with experience of both, what would you recommend, are the IPSs worth the extra price, or are the high TN models good enough or better if you are always gonna be centered and won't look at the screen from side angles ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Never heard of IPS having worse blacks. I thought it was the other way around?

Also heard even more so that current IPS are fine for gaming.

If you've seen one of those giant iMac screens in person, that's an IPS.

I know this is just anecdotal but the problem I mentioned in the last page, was because one of the RAM sticks went bad. It's Corsair. This is the first time in 11 years since I've been buying computer parts that a component has gone bad.

hypernima

Banned
RAM is the same shit and the performance boost from 1600 to 1866 is extremely minimal.
It's all costs the same, runs at the same speeds, and they all have lifetime warranties.

*If you are talking about the 30nm 1.35V Samsung sticks then that is a clear good buy if you overclock them to 2133Mhz or something and are comfortable running low voltage higher than normal and overclocked.

Could I get a link to it? I don't know the specific one you mention :\

Never heard of IPS having worse blacks. I thought it was the other way around?

Also heard even more so that current IPS are fine for gaming.

If you've seen one of those giant iMac screens in person, that's an IPS.

Maybe it was about blacks being more of a really dark grey rather than black or something like that.

IPS it is. My local market isn't the best, especially when it comes to computer monitors, but I'll try to find the best I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom