• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

When is the GTX 660 rumoured to come out? And is there going to be a Ti version? Do the rumoured specs beat the 7850? Trying to decide if I should wait on my video card.

It's lined up to come in October according to the supply manager of Overclockers in the UK, I decided I wasn't waiting that long so just went with the 7850 in the end and haven't looked back.

Def Jukie

Any suggestions on a good blu ray drive?

I'm building a new PC and have all the rest of my parts picked out. Can't wait to get this thing built and be playing some 1080p/60fps goodness.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some of my parts have been coming in, so I've been reviewing some of the building video guides in the OP to prepare. You guys have any tips for the actual building part? Is it bad to build on a carpet? Can I build on a glass table while standing on a carpet? I guess I'll just stick to the kitchen. Also should I get a grounded wrist strap? I don't want to mess anything up. D:
Build in the kitchen, you don't need a wriststrap if you keep touching the case/psu but it makes people feel a lot better the first time.
PNY GeForce GTX 580 video card and Antec TruePower 750 W PSU. I had originally bought the PSU for a GeForce 560 Ti but 750 W should still be enough for a 580 no? It's been working fine for the last week until now.
If everything is working fine that is more than enough power.
It's lined up to come in October according to the supply manager of Overclockers in the UK, I decided I wasn't waiting that long so just went with the 7850 in the end and haven't looked back.
Damn, not even really Summer anymore?

MrBig

Had a BSOD at boot problem at 4.4 so I backed it down to 4.2 and installed the W8 RP, no problems so far. <10 sec boots on my M4. Benched my DCU2T 670 in Heaven and tested the OC waters. Conservatively +30 clock, +400 mem. Waiting until I have my monitor to do anything further and play any games. Will post pics tomorrow

Coldsnap

Keyboard question: i'm looking for a good wirleless IR keyboard for video gaming on my lapdesk. I don't need any fancy macros just a small keyboard with no number pad that will fit on my lapdesk. Also whats a good wireless IR mouse?

kaskade

Is microcenter likely to run the 50 off mobo combo with the the ivy bridge still after sunday?

I won't be able to get there until monday and I will be kicking myself if I end up missing out.

MooMoo

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone have experience with Remote Desktop? I managed to get it working from laptop to PC when booting my laptop in safe mode but obviously that's a less than ideal situation. Upon normal boot, the thing keeps crashing right after I type in the password/try to establish a connection. My googling hasn't yielded any solid fixes-- all I could find was random things about disabling this or that and stuff like updating drivers but everything is up to date. Anyone have any suggestions? Are there any other alternative software for stuff like this?

_Isaac

Turns out I'll need one more SATA cable. Do they sell these things at Best Buy or RadioShack? I'd rather just stop by a store and quickly pick it up than have to order one.

Build in the kitchen, you don't need a wriststrap if you keep touching the case/psu but it makes people feel a lot better the first time.

Thanks. That's the plan then.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Weekend project arrived today!

7311725626_89b10bf88a_z.jpg

This will replace my current 60GB Agility 2. As mentioned before, my C drive is riddled with horrible malware even though I've had malwarebytes and AVG since day one and don't do anything fishy or use torrents/etc. But, whatever. So, this will be a nice, fresh start... and it'll also be really nice to have some extra space, as I'm always within about 5 gigs of maxing out my Agility 2.

Plan is to use this for now. And when I do a new build later this year, I'm gonna buy another to RAID0 my C Drive, and then a 256GB model (whatever is fastest under ~$180) for my games.

SUPARSTARX

Alright, I bought a WD green drive last month. It just stopped detecting in my PC. I've just lost a ton of stuff on the HDD. Is there any way to recover stuff off it?

kennah

Well. Picked up an OCZ 64gig Petrol for 60$ figuring "how bad could it really be?"

A month later the drive is all CRC errors and I can't even do a fresh reinstall on it.

Mem ex will regret upselling me on the three year extended warranty for $4 :)

Hawk269

Hey guys I just started getting a weird issue today with my PC and was wondering if any of you had any idea of what the problem might be. As of this morning my PC seems to have started freezing whenever I get to the Windows login screen when I start the computer. Either I get the actual login screen but it's frozen, I get a black screen with the cursor showing but frozen, or just a black screen with nothing else. Sometimes there appears to be some sort of artifact on the screen (a horizontal line that goes part of the way across the screen). This happens roughly 80% of the time, the other 20% I am able to get into Windows although once it froze a minute or so after I logged in.

My temperatures look to be good, my motherboard isn't showing any errors and I don't know what would be causing it. I can't think of any changes that have been made since yesterday. I installed a new graphics card and video drivers about a week ago or so but I haven't had any issues with them before. Any help would be great!

Edit: I'm running Windows 7 if that matters. Also I should maybe note that it seems I can get into safe mode fine, although I've only tried twice.

This happened to me when I was switching parts in and out and it would lock up every time once I logged into windows. I reset the CMOS thinking that something got corrupted since I was swapping GPU's etc and once I did this the problem went away and has not happened since.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Why the hell can't I find an Asus GTX670 Top anywhere? Sold out on Newegg, and everywhere else is trying to sell me one for like $500. What the hell.

scottnak

I'd still say drop the cpu to an i5 3570k. And I'm not sure about those types of CPU coolers, I would think having something like a hyper 212 would be better for keeping static pressure and moving air directly towards the rear exhaust. Even if you have a fan on the side panel it'd be best to make it an intake to cool the GPU. Those coolers are designed for small case designs.

Thanks MrBig, you've been a big help in this process.
One last question and i think the buying spree begins.

My Brother said:
About the GTX 670 , many people seem to be recommending the ASUS GTX 670 TOP (i don't know what top means) , and why are people seemingly dissaproving of evga? If someone has a product in mind that will be good please link

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The ASUS GTX 670 DCU2 TOP is triple-slot, right? Is the spacing between the two PCI-E 16x (8x/8x when occupied) slots on the Z77 Extreme4 sufficient for two of them in SLI?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Why the hell can't I find an Asus GTX670 Top anywhere? Sold out on Newegg, and everywhere else is trying to sell me one for like $500. What the hell.
Because it and the ASUS are the best ones to buy. Also poor 28nm yields and nVidia being mad at TSMC.
Thanks MrBig, you've been a big help in this process.
One last question and i think the buying spree begins.
Not disapproval, just wanting more than a stock card. GPU is a GPU. Warranty is warranty.
If I can get a 670 with a giant 3 slot fan cooler, 680 PCB, and 6+8 pin power for $0 extra I sure as hell will get that over an eVGA.

If you can find a Gigabyte or ASUS 670 in stock... grab it. Otherwise just getting an eVGA is fine.
The ASUS GTX 670 DCU2 TOP is triple-slot, right? Is the spacing between the two PCI-E 16x (8x/8x when occupied) slots on the Z77 Extreme4 sufficient for two of them in SLI?
Dual

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shipping out my old giant case. I got upsold on a Fractal Arc Midi. Hope I like it. Removable fan filters swung me over the 690. 690 II is damn practical and a nice buy at $80 shipped for sure though.
Felt I needed the ability to be open for WC in 1-2 years and have a top USB 3.0 since I'm getting a USB3.0 drive from work.

Old case, old pic (Have 1 670 now). Yes, that is a full size ATX board. No, I didn't really care for cable management. Hopefully the ample room the Arc has on the back side along with the cable management options I can make something work easily.

ql9qX.jpg

kharma45

Damn, not even really Summer anymore?

According to them, nope. And they were spot on about the time and price of the 670 so I'd be inclined to believe them.

The line up for the next 4-5 months according to him will be

GTX 690 - £800+
GTX 680 4GB - £500+
GTX 680 - £400+
GTX 670 - £300+
GTX 580 - £300 and is now EOL with very little stock left so no further price drops
GTX 570 - £200
GTX 560Ti 448 - £180
GTX 560Ti - £160
GTX 560 - £140
GTX 550Ti - £100

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
According to them, nope. And they were spot on about the time and price of the 670 so I'd be inclined to believe them.
Ah, same older post then.

I'd expect them sooner, but they can easily sell out their older card stock (both AMD and nVidia) while they wait for better supply issues and make the cash on 670/680.

Hi everyone, I'm not really knowledgeable in PC Gaming, but I bought the Humble Bundle V yesterday and Limbo didn't run, nor Bastion and Super Meat Boy was clearly taxing on the computer, so I feel a little sad (and the need to upgrade my five years old PC I built).

So here's what I have now :

• Your Current Specs: CPU : Intel® Celeron® E1200 / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) : 1Go DDRII (512 x2) / Motherboard : Asrock ConRoe1333-D667 R3.0 / GPU : Integrated Intel® GMA 950 / PSU : I don't know, I'll have to open it to see. I have three spares though.
  • Budget: Up to 150€, in France.
  • Main Use: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 3, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 0, Video Editing 1, HD Streaming 2, 3D work 0, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
  • Monitor Resolution: The computer is hooked on my TV, so I guess that's 1280x720. I don't intend to upgrade anytime soon and if I do it'll be another TV screen.
  • List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Bastion, Limbo.
  • Looking to reuse any parts? : I think I wont keep the RAM/CPU/GPU as they are really obsolete.
  • When will you build?: I'm not particularly in a hurry.
  • Will you be overclocking?: No

Thanks for your advice !

ghostmind

Because it and the ASUS are the best ones to buy. Also poor 28nm yields and nVidia being mad at TSMC.

Not disapproval, just wanting more than a stock card. GPU is a GPU. Warranty is warranty.
If I can get a 670 with a giant 3 slot fan cooler, 680 PCB, and 6+8 pin power for $0 extra I sure as hell will get that over an eVGA.

If you can find a Gigabyte or ASUS 670 in stock... grab it. Otherwise just getting an eVGA is fine.

Dual

I probably would have gone with the ASUS 670 TOP if it was in stock, but the eVGA 670 FTW is also on a 680 PCB, runs quieter than the stock 670 (though still single fan), and has clock speeds better than all but the TOP. I wasn't impressed with eVGA's initial offerings, but this card seems to be getting positive initial reviews.

I probably would have gone with the ASUS 670 TOP if it was in stock, but the eVGA 670 FTW is also on a 680 PCB, runs quieter than the stock 670 (though still single fan), and has clock speeds better than all but the TOP. I wasn't impressed with eVGA's initial offerings, but this card seems to be getting positive initial reviews.

Yeah, I keep seeing people mention the 680 PCB lacking, and was wondering if it was misinformation.

Ty4on

Hi everyone, I'm not really knowledgeable in PC Gaming, but I bought the Humble Bundle V yesterday and Limbo didn't run, nor Bastion and Super Meat Boy was clearly taxing on the computer, so I feel a little sad (and the need to upgrade my five years old PC I built).

• Your Current Specs: CPU : Intel® Celeron® E1200 / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) : 1Go DDRII (512 x2) / Motherboard : Asrock ConRoe1333-D667 R3.0 / GPU : Integrated Intel® GMA 950 / PSU : I don't know, I'll have to open it to see. I have three spares though.
  • Main Use: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 3, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 0, Video Editing 1, HD Streaming 2, 3D work 0, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
  • Monitor Resolution: The computer is hooked on my TV, so I guess that's 1280x720. I don't intend to upgrade anytime soon and if I do it'll be another TV screen.
  • Looking to reuse any parts? : I think I wont keep the RAM/CPU/GPU as they are really obsolete.

Thanks for your advice !

The low price made me think about Atom chips first, but help me PC gaf, is the AMD Llano bad for this build? 3870k can do gaming at 720p and the CPU seems to be decent enough for some emulation and video editing.

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask (I thought we had a computer problems OT but couldn't find it).

Playing Diablo 3 fried my computer yesterday. I was playing the game and all of the sudden the game froze, there was a high pitch sound coming from the speakers and the computer became totally unresponsive. I pressed the power button for 15 seconds to manually restart it, and when it came back, the first screen I usually have when I turn my computer was all messed up. The image was really faint and some of the letters in the words were wrong or in the wrong areas. Again I restarted and then I got nothing as the screen was completely blank. Could the video card have gone bad?

My suspicion was that if the video card was busted, windows would still boot up in the background. To test this, I let it run for an amount of time I was sure always brings up the main Windows login screen. And then I pressed the power button which usually takes about 15 seconds to shut down the computer. This didn't happen. When I get home from work, I'm going to try some more troubleshooting by removing things.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciated. I really hope it's not the CPU or the motherboard. What are the symptoms when the power supply goes bad? Will it still run the fans?

Shambles

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask (I thought we had a computer problems OT but couldn't find it).

Playing Diablo 3 fried my computer yesterday. I was playing the game and all of the sudden the game froze, there was a high pitch sound coming from the speakers and the computer became totally unresponsive. I pressed the power button for 15 seconds to manually restart it, and when it came back, the first screen I usually have when I turn my computer was all messed up. The image was really faint and some of the letters in the words were wrong or in the wrong areas. Again I restarted and then I got nothing as the screen was completely blank. Could the video card have gone bad?

My suspicion was that if the video card was busted, windows would still boot up in the background. To test this, I let it run for an amount of time I was sure always brings up the main Windows login screen. And then I pressed the power button which usually takes about 15 seconds to shut down the computer. This didn't happen. When I get home from work, I'm going to try some more troubleshooting by removing things.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciated. I really hope it's not the CPU or the motherboard. What are the symptoms when the power supply goes bad? Will it still run the fans?

Probably is your GPU but it's hard to say, most hardware problems can results in a plethora of different symptoms. A faulty GPU absolutely can stop windows from loading properly. GPU is easiest to test for, just find a friend that you can rip their GPU to test on your system. Could be PSU, could be motherboard, not likely your memory, CPU or HDD but nothing is impossible. I've had faulty USB devices crash computers before, it just doesn't happen very often.

You can also try to 'cook' your GPU to bring it back to life if you're brave enough.

ccbfan

How useful is a fast drive for storage?

I already have a Samsung 830 128GB SSD drive for my OS and important aps/games like Starcraft 2/Diablo 3/Skyrim/Office/Visual Studio

NewEgg has the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM for $79.99

but

I can get a 2 TB Seagate 5400 RPM for 109.99.

Which should I get.

TheExodu5

Banned
7200RPM doesn't matter that much if it's not for OS usage. Since your important games are on your SSD anyways, I'd just go for the 5400RPM drive.

You're basically looking at ~100-110MB/s speeds instead of around 120-130MB/s speeds.

That being said, if 1TB is more than enough for you, you may as well go for that, since it's the cheaper option.

Ace 8095

My Asus 670 top seems to cap out at a boost of 1278.

Nevermind. I was playing Crysis and getting artifacts. I'm just going to leave it at the stock boost of 1254.

kaskade

Ok so Microcenter holds stuff for 3 days when you do in store pickup. So I think I'll order a mobo + processor and pick it up monday. Then i should be covered if the sale is gone, and I can just cancel if they have a better one.

I'm going for the i5 3750k + asrock z77 pro4.

Krelian

Thanks for your advice !
With that budget I would suggest an entry level Sandy Bridge CPU (Celeron G530 or Pentium G620) with a new motherboard, which would be a tremendous boost already. Along with that 4GB of DDR3 RAM and an entry level Radeon 6670.

I'll give you some Amazon.fr example links:
CPU: http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B004XOZ3V0/ OR http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B005KIWT2O/

RAM: http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B002K23V1Q/

Mainboard: http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B004Q5W7FQ/

GPU: http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B004X615HO/

You can probably find that stuff cheaper at a specialized online store but I don't know any French ones.

All in all that makes around €185 (with the Celeron). You could probably save a little if you change the GPU to a cheaper 6570 or leave it out completely but if you could somehow come up with a little extra money it would be quite a good little machine. Of course you have to check if your PSU will be up for the task, if not that's another 30 to 50 bucks.

You could maybe also go the Llano route but honestly I'd rather take a Intel system with a dedicated video card. It's upgradeable to a more powerful CPU later on and you get more bang for the buck at the moment already. Whatever you do, don't get an Atom or Amd E-350/450 system.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh, great. I hadn't really checked up since launch.
I see the eVGA FTW 670 is on sale at Amazon for $419 INSTOCK: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083Y6MV6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I still think getting the Gigabyte at $399 is the better deal if you can find it, but not complaints about that card if you get a good one.
7200RPM doesn't matter that much if it's not for OS usage. Since your important games are on your SSD anyways, I'd just go for the 5400RPM drive.

You're basically looking at ~100-110MB/s speeds instead of around 120-130MB/s speeds.
Yup. Like it says in the OP just a 10-15% speed difference and it's pretty small. I ran my OS off my 2TB 5400RPM just dandy.

Hey guys, can anyone help me out? Got parts for a build yesterday... hooked everything up, nothing. I even tried to power up just the CPU/MOBO and MOBO, nothing. What should I do?

I have the enhanced parts from the main page btw, with the optional 550w PSU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys, can anyone help me out? Got parts for a build yesterday... hooked everything up, nothing. I even tried to power up just the CPU/MOBO and MOBO, nothing. What should I do?

I have the enhanced parts from the main page btw, with the optional 550w PSU.
Verify all power connectors are in and the PSU is on I of I/O.

You should get at least something. IF you still get nothing, run the paperclip PSU test.

Verify all power connectors are in and the PSU is on I of I/O.

You should get at least something. IF you still get nothing, run the paperclip PSU test.

I've tried the power connector every which way it could go. I've also tried the paperclip PSU test and got nothing, but wasn't how sure of a test that is.

mkenyon

Banned
Is the PSU plugged into a powered outlet? :p

Last idea is to try and jump the power switch. Get something metal and bridge the two pins that your case power button is plugged into.

kaskade

Is the PSU plugged into a powered outlet? :p

Last idea is to try and jump the power switch. Get something metal and bridge the two pins that your case power button is plugged into.

During the newegg build they recommended doing that just to make sure the basics worked before putting it into the case. He just plugged in the speaker and then jumped it to make sure it beeped. Is that something people normally do?

Ah. Ah. Hold the phone. I literally fucking thwacked it in frustration (not hard) with the paperclip still in it and it passed the paperclip test. Gonna try hooking it up to my system.

Okay. Got my main parts connected (CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, Mobo)... all systems are a go. Wondering if I should proceed with caution if a thwack is all it needed. Should this PSU be RMA'd for my sanity?

Also. Stock coolers for the CPU. Noticed 1 out of the 4 mounts wouldn't go in. Now in trying to take it out to clamp it together a bit closer so it'll go throguh, one wont come out. What should I do?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay. Got my main parts connected (CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, Mobo)... all systems are a go. Wondering if I should proceed with caution if a thwack is all it needed. Should this PSU be RMA'd for my sanity?

Also. Stock coolers for the CPU. Noticed 1 out of the 4 mounts wouldn't go in. Now in trying to take it out to clamp it together a bit closer so it'll go throguh, one wont come out. What should I do?
Put on the heatsink while the motherboard is out of the case. Makes it a ton easier.
Push pin types often need a bit of help going in. Might want some pliers to squeeze the plastic open or closed. Make sure it clicks 100% of the way in.

Put on the heatsink while the motherboard is out of the case. Makes it a ton easier.
Push pin types often need a bit of help going in. Might want some pliers to squeeze the plastic open or closed. Make sure it clicks 100% of the way in.

Yeah, I didn't realize this until after I noticed one of the pushpins didnt go all of the way in. Now I have one stuck in because the screw won't retract and one that won't go in because it needs to be squeezed that I don't have access to because I can't get the stuck one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom