• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
I got my 2560x1440 monitor I ordered from ebay this morning (yamasaki catleap)

No problems so far, it looks absolutely amazing, I love it. Huge upgrade over my old 21" 1080 monitor.

MrBig

Oh interesting. Looking at his listings I have no clue which one I would want. Is there somewhere that lists all the details in English for these? Which one did you order?

I got this one since I have no use for pivot (which is only $22 more) and even people who ordered the perfect pixel still ended up with a stuck pixel occasionally, so with the way AW works with people I just went for the standard model.

Around how much does a PC cost to last a few years, and for it to play the latest games, and future gen games?

Not sure if this is a logical question..

The standard kit for development on UE4 at Epic is an i7/680/16gb ram so if you get an i7/670/8gb ram you will likely far exceed the specs of next gen consoles.

Gav47

I got my 2560x1440 monitor I ordered from ebay this morning (yamasaki catleap)

No problems so far, it looks absolutely amazing, I love it. Huge upgrade over my old 21" 1080 monitor.

I'm really tempted to buy one, did you have to pay any customs charges?

Ceebs

What is the difference between the ACHIEVA and the Crossover? Sounds like the Bezel on the crossover is the more attractive one.

radjago

Looking to slowly buy parts for my eventual rig...any reason why I shouldn't get this SSD (only on sale today)?

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-2-5-Inch-Drive-SDSSDX-240G-G25/dp/B006EKJ8UI/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=541966&s=pc

I'm a complete noob but do the cables to connect this come with the motherboard or the actual hard drive?

Thanks!

Typically SATA cables come with the motherboard. If your case doesn't have a 2.5" drive mount, you'll need a 3.5" tray adapter to mount that drive as one doesn't come bundled.

cilonen

Are Gainward pretty well respected? I can't get a whiff of an EVGA 690 anywhere but I was offered Gainward in stock as an alternative so I bit. I figured as no-one's allowed to deviate from the 690 reference design it can't make too much of a difference, but it would be nice if it turns out they have a decent rep.

Ceebs

Looking around, it seems that monitor stands are harder to find than you would expect.

Any good aftermarket stands that can hold one of these 27" monitors? All I am seeing are multi monitor mounts.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone?

I'm currently looking at:
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H

Any better mATX Mobos in that price range?
With mATX overclocking, there is the ASUS Maximus Gene, and then everything else.
Looking to slowly buy parts for my eventual rig...any reason why I shouldn't get this SSD (only on sale today)?

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-2-5-Inch-Drive-SDSSDX-240G-G25/dp/B006EKJ8UI/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=541966&s=pc

I'm a complete noob but do the cables to connect this come with the motherboard or the actual hard drive?

Thanks!
Because there are lots of better choices out there. Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Force GT.
Around how much does a PC cost to last a few years, and for it to play the latest games, and future gen games?

OP. No one can predict the future.

Any suggestions or advices to the following HTPC and gaming PC is welcomed:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Total: $1377.96 (Don't mind the price*)

I've Already ordered the ASUS 670 TOP edition GPU and bought the case. It'll be mostly used on a 1080p LCD HDTV for couch gaming with a wireless 360 pad. I also have couple CM Hyper+ 212 laying around somewhere. :p

The SSD will be for games/OS/programs, while I have a 2TB external HDD for Media.

*Note: I don't live in the US or EU, but I can order some parts from Amazon (US/UK with fee based on weight) if needed (i.e. GPU), I'll try to look for the other parts in my country (found the TJ08B-E case). PC parts in my region are extremely overpriced with limited and short warranties. For example the build will cost me about $1700 compared to ~$1350 from US retailers.
I'd reduce the SSD size to get a better PSU for a system as nice as that. Seasonic X or Corsair AX.

Do the new gen of GTX eg, GTX 670 still run into the same issues of massive power consumption when in SLI? I recall the OP with the 500 series cards mentioning that even in low GPU activities when running in SLI they just suck up a ton of power. That was a deterrent for every trying SLI, I don't want my PC to be a power hog.

kaskade

Does anyone here use a wireless card for their desktop? I can't really find one that seems solid based on the reviews. I would rather just have it wired connection but it's not really doable.

mkenyon

Banned
Do the new gen of GTX eg, GTX 670 still run into the same issues of massive power consumption when in SLI? I recall the OP with the 500 series cards mentioning that even in low GPU activities when running in SLI they just suck up a ton of power. That was a deterrent for every trying SLI, I don't want my PC to be a power hog.
I have no idea what you're talking about. The power consumption was linear.
Does anyone here use a wireless card for their desktop? I can't really find one that seems solid based on the reviews. I would rather just have it wired connection but it's not really doable.
'Wireless' and 'solid' do not belong in the same sentence together.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The power consumption was linear..

I could have sworn one of the "read before considering SLI" articles mentioned that all of the power saving features of a single GPU went out the window in the last gen. I know the power requirements at peak and required are linear but the just regular OS activities it drew more power than needed to both cards. Edit, as in you only needed one GPU running low for non GPU intensive things but it would always have both powered on when not needed. Something of that sort.

Madridy

With mATX overclocking, there is the ASUS Maximus Gene, and then everything else.

Because there are lots of better choices out there. Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Force GT.

OP. No one can predict the future.

I'd reduce the SSD size to get a better PSU for a system as nice as that. Seasonic X or Corsair AX.

I can't find these PSUs in my country, I can order them from the US Amazon, but then I'd have to pay +$50 in shipping (depends on shipping weight) and customs fees. Also the warranty won't be useful, since It'd be really troublesome to RMA them with international shipping.

How about this PSU:

SilverStone Strider Gold 750W

Available in my country and Comes with 5 years warranty.
Costs about ~$190.

kaskade

I have no idea what you're talking about. The power consumption was linear.

I guess that's why most of the reviews aren't great on any of the cards. It seems like either people have no problems or nothing but problems.

Wow that is super cheap, but are those brands reliable?

Basically whats i was asking. The OCZ one was recommended by Toms Hardware so i am leaning on that one even though its more expensive up front the rebate brings its down. They are getting rid of old stock because the newer ones are better and cheaper to manufacture.

So a pc can last a long time the problem is can you deal with eventually running games at not the tip top of graphics. Much like a console, the GPU you buy will always have the same graphics power but games will look better but start to run worse over time.
LIke i bought a 4890 in 2009 it had been with me for awhile but did i ever imagine witcher 2 coming out and looking like that on my card no way. it runs at a playable rate but i get what i paid for back in 2009.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Basically whats i was asking. The OCZ one was recommended by Toms Hardware so i am leaning on that one even though its more expensive up front the rebate brings its down. They are getting rid of old stock because the newer ones are better and cheaper to manufacture.
There's a reason why Tom's Hardware is not linked in the OP.

Sandisk should be the better drive. But it's not that much more for a full speed m4/830 SSD.

Smokey

The 24" Dell IPS would be the best all around in that price range, good 120hz panels are more expensive.

I'll be getting my 27" 2560x1440 on monday, they can be had for ~$300. They're IPS, 60hz, and have a 6-10ms response time.

Oh wow. I could've had 4 of these bad boys for what I paid for the U3011! That's an amazing price especially with the no dead pixel guarantee.

I look forward to others joining the elitist resolution camp :p

Danj

The Fractal Design XL looks really great for a quiet case, only problem is I see the power button is located on the top. Are there any cases that are optimised for quietness like this, but preferably have the power button inside the front door, so it can't be pressed accidentally?

I ended up using an Airport Express in bridge mode for a couple of years.

When I upgraded my computer, I made sure to get a motherboard that had wireless built in.

mkenyon said:

Sometimes you have no choice. My computer is maybe ten feet from where my cable connection comes in but due to the way my apartment is set up there's now way to run a cable without tripping over it.

n0n44m

The Fractal Design XL looks really great for a quiet case, only problem is I see the power button is located on the top. Are there any cases that are optimised for quietness like this, but preferably have the power button inside the front door, so it can't be pressed accidentally?

I assume you like that one because of the # of HDDs it supports?

I´d just mod in another power button, all you need is a drill, a file, and 2 minutes of soldering.

Or even easier, just wire up the reset button (behind the door) to the power pins instead and don´t use the reset

mkenyon

Banned
How about under the carpet or along the wall? Zip ties + wall mounts = kind of ugly, but success. There's always a way, people just don't want to take the time to do it right.

Regarding silent case questions: Upcoming Bitfenix Ghost, Antec P280, Coolermaster Silencio 550, and Anidées AI-6B.
I assume you like that one because of the # of HDDs it supports?

I´d just mod in another power button, all you need is a drill, a file, and 2 minutes of soldering.

Or even easier, just wire up the reset button (behind the door) to the power pins instead and don´t use the reset
Or that too.

Fou-Lu

Those cheap 2560x1440 monitors are making me drool, what kind of beast of a video card would you need to be able to play high settings on one of those though? And wouldn't it be a bitch to play older games that run at lower resolutions? (I suppose that can be fixed with scaling and patches for the games though)

Im looking to upgrade my graphics card right now. Size is an issue. Right now according to Amazon.com, the card I have now is 8x2.5x10.5 and I have some room to spare. The card im looking at is 11.8x2.9x9.4. What do these numbers mean? Which one is the over all length?

Karmum

Banned
Any specific reason why my second GPU seems to run like 10 - 15 C higher than my first GPU? As of right now in BF3, my first GTX 460 is at like 59 C and my second GPU is at 71 C, not scary temperatures but just wondering why. Same thing happens in Saint's Row The Third, haven't really noticed the issue in any other games lately. I'm just guessing that the game just picks one of the two video cards to stress more and in this case it's my second GPU?

Also, for whatever reason I had PhysX dedicated to my first GTX 460. Auto-reccomendation has placed it on my second GTX 460 now (temperature "issue" was the same with both PhsyX settings) and it seems like I can overclock higher than I was originally stonewalled at. I feel incredibly stupid right now. Also bumped my voltage up a bit, that may be another reason why it's overclocking a tad better.

Smokey

Those cheap 2560x1440 monitors are making me drool, what kind of beast of a video card would you need to be able to play high settings on one of those though? And wouldn't it be a bitch to play older games that run at lower resolutions? (I suppose that can be fixed with scaling and patches for the games though)

You want a card with at least 2GB of VRAM, and you'd be looking at the higher end offerings from AMD/Nvidia. Single, high-end card can do it or mid-range cards in SLI/Xfire.

mxgt

Banned

My single 570 is faring extremely well with the stuff I have installed right now until I get my 670 next week. (Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 mainly)

Installed the mobo Haz suggested to me at E3. BioStar TZ77A.

Same shit is happening, only less. Cold boot loop. Monitor going in and out.

Just now got a 'CMOS Fail'.

abunai

So, I've been looking to upgrade soon and I've only /just/ realised that z77 motherboards that I've been looking at (asus P8Z77-LX etc) have a 24 pin and 8 pin power connection. I was planning on keeping my PSU as it is a good quality (Corsair) 650W and I didn't see the need to upgrade. However, it only has a 24 pin and a 4 pin power connection.

Am I going to have to get a new PSU, or what? Are there adapters available (molex to ATX or whatever) or will it even matter, if it's the same voltage?

r4z4

My Corsair TX 650 V2 arrived today as a replacement for the buggered OCZ 750 ZT.

Its louder than the OCZ but I can live with it. Really missed the modular cables when I was plugging everything back in.

Will save up for a nice mATX case (come on BitFenix!) and AX series PSU for my next upgrade cycle.

Ceebs

I missed this one, but it really depends on your resolution and how the future console tech will pan out.

For the next week or two I am still on my system that I built in 2009 for 500 bucks. It still has a dual core AMD chip and a HD4870.

Now granted the monitor I actually play games on is only 1440X900, I can still play The Witcher II on High above 30FPS and pretty much any console port on high or close to max settings (Skyrim runs at about 45 fps on this one). Really the only thing keeping me from playing Battlefield 3 on this thing is the dual core CPU.

4 years of PC gaming for the price of a launch PS3 is a damn good deal in my book. My games STILL look better than the console versions as well. You can make even a modest gaming PC last years if you do not need to be bleeding edge.

LordAlu

So, I've been looking to upgrade soon and I've only /just/ realised that z77 motherboards that I've been looking at (asus P8Z77-LX etc) have a 24 pin and 8 pin power connection. I was planning on keeping my PSU as it is a good quality (Corsair) 650W and I didn't see the need to upgrade. However, it only has a 24 pin and a 4 pin power connection.

Am I going to have to get a new PSU, or what? Are there adapters available (molex to ATX or whatever) or will it even matter, if it's the same voltage?
Mine has a 24-pin and a 4-pin and it works fine on my Asus P8Z77-V. You just put the 4-pin one in at one end of the 8-pin connector.

mkenyon

Banned
Mine has a 24-pin and a 4-pin and it works fine on my Asus P8Z77-V. You just put the 4-pin one in at one end of the 8-pin connector.
Just don't plan on overclocking.

There should be an additional 4 pin plug somewhere that you can use. 8 pin has been standard for a long time.

If you guys had a choice for gaming, would you go for that 2560x1440 monitor or go for a cheaper smaller 120hz monitor?

I do some trading so I could see some value in having that large monitor as part of my set-up, but I want to use it also for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom