• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erebus

That's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask. If he won't go new, is there something that'd be a 'best case' CPU upgrade? He has a Q6600 but I'm not sure what it's clocked at.
I'd say a Q9550/Q9650. That is, if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Got my Asus GTX 670 today and set it up a moment ago.

Haven't done any benching yet but what I can say for now is that THIS THING IS IDLING AT 22C!!!

Phreaker

Thanks Hazaro for the post. Thanks to a less than exciting E3 I am building myself a new gaming PC to hold me over until next-gen. This is the first gaming PC I've built since the 360 came out.

I went with:

Intel Core i7 3770K processor 3.5
EVGA GeForce GTX670
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC128N/AM 128 GB
ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard

clav

That's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask. If he won't go new, is there something that'd be a 'best case' CPU upgrade? He has a Q6600 but I'm not sure what it's clocked at.

I went through this same deliberation, and I concluded that it's better to save up for a new motherboard + CPU + RAM combo than upgrade the old system.

I still haven't upgraded yet.

LGA 775 CPUs are overpriced.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Speaking of... I found my old P5B board. Thought I sold that already.
Got my Asus GTX 670 today and set it up a moment ago.

Haven't done any benching yet but what I can say for now is that THIS THING IS IDLING AT 22C!!!
Yeah the temps on my 670 are also insanity to me.
Thanks Hazaro for the post. Thanks to a less than exciting E3 I am building myself a new gaming PC to hold me over until next-gen. This is the first gaming PC I've built since the 360 came out.

I went with:

Intel Core i7 3770K processor 3.5
EVGA GeForce GTX670
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC128N/AM 128 GB
ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard
Very nice, enjoy :)

RedSwirl

I haven't gotten that far yet in the decision-making process. I'm not just upgrading the CPU, but moving to a whole new system (my current system is a pre-built Dell so the CPU and motherboard are more or less set in stone). I just need to know what kind of performance difference an i5 really makes compared to a Q6600 independent of the GPU (in this case, an HD6850).

mkenyon

Banned
I haven't gotten that far yet in the decision-making process. I'm not just upgrading the CPU, but moving to a whole new system (my current system is a pre-built Dell so the CPU and motherboard are more or less set in stone). I just need to know what kind of performance difference an i5 really makes compared to a Q6600 independent of the GPU (in this case, an HD6850).
For your purposes, consider AMD 955 = Q6600 in the link I posted.
I'd say a Q9550/Q9650. That is, if you can find one at a reasonable price.
Used is your only option. As claviertekky noted, your best bet is to just save up a bit more money and do the whole thing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Any graphics card recommendations for under $200? The current plan is just to grab the XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 mentioned in the OP, but before I bite I just thought I'd ask.

Well fuck this keeps getting worse and worse, I'm pretty sure my GPU just died. Was just starting to run ARMA II got to the main menu and the computer shut off and I could smell something burning. Pulled the power and shut everything off, took a look inside to see what happened, plugged everything back in and my graphics card doesn't see to work. When I power it on the fan on it spins, and I pass the post, but I get no signal on my monitor.

Hawk269

Welp, that answers my question. Perfect chart too as that is my resolution. Thanks pal. Seems to be a different story for 1920x1200:

NV-GTX-690-92.jpg

Still haven't OC'd the 690, although tbh I'm not really seeing a need to. At 120hz sure, since I need to get as close to 120fps as possible. But at 60hz? I'm already getting 60 fps in all of my games so it wouldn't help me. It would be more for benchmarking.

I also love the Frame Target feature in Precision X. I have found out over the previous days that SLI performance in BF3 MP is horrible. Many think it is a result of one of the recent patches by DICE. This doesn't occur in the SP, just MP. Utilization jumps everywhere resulting in a very choppy experience. I have read this on numerous forums where people are complaining with 600 series cards. Being able to limit the fps to 60 really helps in this area since the GPUs aren't bouncing all over the place when I'm playing.

Smokey....What's the deal with the monitor comparison you wer egoing to let us know about? I am really curious what your thoughts are on 120fps vs. 1600p?

hey gaf.

I want to get a new PC for gaming purposes. the problem is, I don't know shit about building computers. I don't know which parts to choose etc etc... So, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to choose parts for me?

- I want something that will run the best of the best when it comes to graphically demanding games. Something that will still be running new releases for like 5 years in the future or something (is that reasonable?)
- Windows 7 is my preferred OS....but if the parts are Hackintosh compatible then more power to it I guess.
- I also make music using Ableton Live.... I'll probably primarily still use my current laptop for that but I'll mention it just in case it's note worth in choosing parts or something...
- I've been running laptops for the past few years. So I'm going to need the whole shebang...monitors/mice/keyboards etc...
- I'm hoping everything will cost under $1500.. but cheaper would be great! haha
- I'm located in Toronto, Canada. So which shop provides the cheapest shipping to me?

thanks!

hey gaf.

I want to get a new PC for gaming purposes. the problem is, I don't know shit about building computers. I don't know which parts to choose etc etc... So, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to choose parts for me?

- I want something that will run the best of the best when it comes to graphically demanding games. Something that will still be running new releases for like 5 years in the future or something (is that reasonable?)
- Windows 7 is my preferred OS....but if the parts are Hackintosh compatible then more power to it I guess.
- I also make music using Ableton Live.... I'll probably primarily still use my current laptop for that but I'll mention it just in case it's note worth in choosing parts or something...
- I've been running laptops for the past few years. So I'm going to need the whole shebang...monitors/mice/keyboards etc...
- I'm hoping everything will cost under $1500.. but cheaper would be great! haha
- I'm located in Toronto, Canada. So which shop provides the cheapest shipping to me?

thanks!

I dont know about maxing things out for five years, but it is very possible keeping things totally playable for five years(and still better than console counterparts even once you have to start dialing settings back a bit).

For the money you are talking and primarily for gaming, I would still only recommend a really good intel i5 amd save the majority for a great graphics card.

Here is one quick example build based on Microcenter current deals (best around on processors if you have one in your area) and other recommendations/consensus from this thread and the OP:

Processor: I5 3560 $190
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Pro3 $109
RAM: 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 30nm $48
Graphics Card: GeForce 680 $599
Powersupply: Antec 650w Earthwattss $79
ATX Case: whatever your preference: $40-$80

Total: @$1100-$1200 depending on deals and case choice

You could definitely get by with less. The 680 is pretty overkill for all games today, but if you are trying to "future proof" as much as possible, I think its a better place to throw money than an i7 processor. (I say this as someone with an i7 and a pair of 6870s).

Ledsen

hey gaf.

thanks!

Check the OP to start with.

hey gaf.

thanks!

I dont know about maxing things out for five years, but it is very possible keeping things totally playable for five years(and still better than console counteroarts even when you have to dial things back a bit in a couple of years).

For the money you are talking and primarily for gaming, I would still only recommend a really good intell i5 amd save the majority for a great graphics card.

Here is one quick example build based on current deals:

Processor: I5 3570k $240
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Pro3 $105
Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Blue $65
ATX Computer Case: whatever your preference: $40-$80

That would leave you $300-$400 for a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and headset/speakers, which should be totally doable for quality stuff and is much more based on personal taste.

You could definitely get by with less. The 680 is pretty overkill for all games today, but if you are trying to "future proof" as much as possible, I think its a better place to throw money than a better processor. In fact in ter,s of processors, a i5 2500k for $209 would do you almost as well (perhaps better if you really want to push overclocking down the line). In graphics cards, a Radeon 7970 is still extremely good for $100 less than the Geforce 670. Those two changes alone would knock $150 off the price and still leave you with a very powerful system.

fugimax

ceebs said:
Software & Services
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-3960X (Six Core Extreme, 15MB Cache,Overclocked up to 4.2Ghz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64Bit, English edit
MEMORY 32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz edit
VIDEO CARD Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 – NVIDIA SLI® edit
HARD DRIVE 512GB SSD 6Gb/s MAIN + 1TB 7200RPM Storage edit
MEDIA READER 19-in-1 Media Card Reader edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium edit
WIRELESS & BLUETOOTH 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 EDR USB Combo Adapter edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: BD Burn, DVD+RW edit
Thanks for posting!

To the guy that won it: Do you know much about overclocking? If not, I'll gladly help you out nailing it down once you get it. Some of the stuff on there that is silly:
32GB Memory - don't need it unless you're doing multimedia stuff, and limits your overclock.
512GB SSD - Silly in an awesome way.
3960X - Zero gaming performance gain over 3930K or even 2700K really, except in Civ V.
Ya, it's silly. I'm half-expecting the guy misstated and I'm just getting the top package listed on the main Aurora Product page.

I used to overclock back in High School (Think Gen1 celerons ;) ... but been a lot tamer in recent times. OC'ing a celeron meant huge $$ savings and the OC's were so ridiculous. Every little mHz counted then.

I dont know about maxing things out for five years, but it is very possible keeping things totally playable for five years(and still better than console counteroarts even when you have to dial things back a bit in a couple of years).

For the money you are talking and primarily for gaming, I would still only recommend a really good intell i5 amd save the majority for a great graphics card.

Here is one quick example build based on current deals:

Processor: I5 3570k $240
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Pro3 $105
ATX Case: whatever your preference: $40-$80

That would leave you $300-$400 for a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and headset/speakers, which should be totally doable for quality stuff and is much more based on personal taste.

You could definitely get by with less. The 680 is pretty overkill for all games today, but if you are trying to "future proof" as much as possible, I think its a better place to throw money than a better processor. In fact in ter,s of processors, a i5 2500k for $209 would do you almost as well (perhaps better if you really want to push overclocking down the line). In graphics cards, a Radeon 7970 is still extremely good for $100 less than the Geforce 670. Those two changes alone would knock $150 off the price and still peast you with a very powerful system.

i definitely appreciate the reply! i'll do some more research but this is sounding good

hey gaf.

thanks!

First off, Amazon and Newegg are the primary places I picked up all my parts for my build, and I think Canada isn't too bad for shipping.

I wanted what you want, and made a few cuts to save some major dough. What I would recommend is using http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ to pick your parts and this will also help you with compatibility. Secondly, watch this video - How to Build a PC.

After you have an idea of the parts you want, go for the build and watch part 2, and 3 of those videos I sent you. They were great help.

Now, as for recommendations -

I love my current rig, and haven't run into any problems with FR or Lag. Played Crysis, BF3, Skyrim, etc. all at about 60fps max settings.

My build is -

Parts-
SystemBuild.png

Photo-
20120605_200857.jpg
Parts Link

This leaves you a little wiggle room since the above would cost about $1000.

If you want to, throw around 200 more into the graphics and maybe upgrade to an i7, add a bit more ram, and a bigger hard drive. That would mean less room for a nice monitor and keyboard/mouse.

Edit that list to your liking though. See what you like, and let us know what you decide to go with!

First off, Amazon and Newegg are the primary places I picked up all my parts for my build, and I think Canada isn't too bad for shipping.

I wanted what you want, and made a few cuts to save some major dough. What I would recommend is using http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ to pick your parts and this will also help you with compatibility. Secondly, watch this video - How to Build a PC.

After you have an idea of the parts you want, go for the build and watch part 2, and 3 of those videos I sent you. They were great help.

Now, as for recommendations -

I love my current rig, and haven't run into any problems with FR or Lag. Played Crysis, BF3, Skyrim, etc. all at about 60fps max settings.

My build is -

Parts Link

This leaves you a little wiggle room since the above would cost about $1000.

If you want to, throw around 200 more into the graphics and maybe upgrade to an i7, add a bit more ram, and a bigger hard drive. That would mean less room for a nice monitor and keyboard/mouse.

Edit that list to your liking though. See what you like, and let us know what you decide to go with!

thank you for the input sir! i'll compile a list of what I'm getting shortly..

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been troubleshooting and I still am. But it seems like my processor might be dead. 1/100000 woo.

I hope it's something really dumb I missed though.

On my asus gene v z77 mobo im getting error led 07. Which is 'ap initialization after microcode loading'. In addtion to having the cpu_led stay lit.

So far I've swapped memory, memory placement, restarted and cleared the cmos, ran the mem_ok button, and unplugged everything that I'm not using.

Tomorrow I'll try to take out the graphics card and perhaps swap in another processor and see if that works if I have time.

Anybideas or insight is appreciated. Don't really want to take everything apart and assemble it outside the case et cetera et cetera.
So, best monitor for under $300 for gaming? I can't go and get a gaming PC and hook up my 1440x900 monitor to it.
I'll let somebody else field that one.

Yoshiya

So, best monitor for under $300 for gaming? I can't go and get a gaming PC and hook up my 1440x900 monitor to it.

Make a choice: best response or decent colour? I chose to have a vibrant panel and went with an IPS over a fast but otherwise shitty TN panel. I picked up the Dell 24" U2412M for under $300 last sale and it's amazing. 1900x1200.

Guys, what the hell is wrong with my gtx680 phantom? I just installed it and it says the core speed is 705! It should be 1084mhz! thats a big difference

How do I make it normal?

Ceebs

Pretty sure I am settled on this build for next week.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($135.00 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.88 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: EQ276W 27" 2560X1440 LED Monitor ($399.99 @ Microcenter)

The RAM is of the low profile variety. I will be using my current HDD as my big storage drive. I plan to swap out the stock case fans with some Noctua 140mm fans.

Going to give the single 670 a go driving that beast of a monitor. At that resolution I can live without AA.

Any comments? I know the CPU cooler is probably overkill, but I got burned on a shitty one last go round and am willing to pay for one of the best.

kharma45

Guys, what the hell is wrong with my gtx680 phantom? I just installed it and it says the core speed is 705! It should be 1084mhz! thats a big difference

How do I make it normal?

It has probably just throttled down to save power when not being used, no point it running at full speed all the time.

As has been said, run a game and check it then.

Madridy

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the Antec BP550w sufficient for a 670 (ASUS TOP ed) + an OCed 2500k/3570k build? Also will it fit in the Silverstone TJ08-E micro Case?

2) What are the better mATX Motherboards available at Amazon for OCing (or overall)?

Anyone?

I'm currently looking at:
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H

Any better mATX Mobos in that price range?

54-46!

The fan on my 7950 keeps winding in short bursts when the Windows turns off the monitor (after screensaver), it happens randomly, sometimes it's just silent.

Any ideas?

Madridy

Any suggestions or advices to the following HTPC and gaming PC is welcomed:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Total: $1377.96 (Don't mind the price*)

I've Already ordered the ASUS 670 TOP edition GPU and bought the case. It'll be mostly used on a 1080p LCD HDTV for couch gaming with a wireless 360 pad. I also have couple CM Hyper+ 212 laying around somewhere. :p

The SSD will be for games/OS/programs, while I have a 2TB external HDD for Media.

*Note: I don't live in the US or EU, but I can order some parts from Amazon (US/UK with fee based on weight) if needed (i.e. GPU), I'll try to look for the other parts in my country (found the TJ08B-E case). PC parts in my region are extremely overpriced with limited and short warranties. For example the build will cost me about $1700 compared to ~$1350 from US retailers.

Ceebs

Any suggestions or advices to the following HTPC and gaming PC is welcomed:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Total: $1377.96 (Don't mind the price*)

I've Already order the ASUS 670 TOP edition GPU and bought the case. It'll be mostly used on a 1080p LCD HDTV for couch gaming with a wireless 360 pad.

The SSD will be for games/OS/programs, while I have a 2TB external HDD for Media.

*Note: I don't live in the US or EU, but I can order some parts from Amazon (US/UK with fee based on weight) if needed (i.e. GPU), I'll try to look for the other parts in my country (found the TJ08B-E case). PC parts in my region are extremely overpriced with limited and short warranties. For example the build will cost me about $1700 compared to ~$1350 from US retailers.
Do you really need that big of an SSD? Even with an OS the 128's should still have close to 100 gigs left on them.

Madridy

Do you really need that big of an SSD? Even with an OS the 128's should still have close to 100 gigs left on them.

Just to be on the safe side. Also I plan to fill it up with lots of recent and upcoming games, which have been becoming really big recently (i.e. Max Payne 3).

Sarcasm

Like said, response or color? I haven't tried it out yet but I think VA LED is somewhat in the middle of those choices. I got a 27" one for just 300 that I use (will use) along my dell 24".

Ceebs

Just to be on the safe side. Also I plan to fill it up with lots of recent and upcoming games, which have been becoming really big recently (i.e. Max Payne 3).

This little program will save you a good bit of cash.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Download everything to your big non SSD drive, and when you are ready to play a game, simply move it to the SSD with that program. When you finish you can move it back. This lets you keep all your games installed, but not taking up space on SSD.

MrBig

The 24" Dell IPS would be the best all around in that price range, good 120hz panels are more expensive.

I'll be getting my 27" 2560x1440 on monday, they can be had for ~$300. They're IPS, 60hz, and have a 6-10ms response time.

Sarcasm

The 24" Dell IPS would be the best all around in that price range, good 120hz panels are more expensive.

I'll be getting my 27" 2560x1440 on monday, they can be had for ~$300. They're IPS, 60hz, and have a 6-10ms response time.

Really make me regret not getting a 2560x1440...

=(

Ceebs

Did you order an Ebay one? I plan on driving the 40 miles to Microcenter and paying the 400 to make sure I get one with no dead pixels.

Finally my RAM is shipped. I hope it will arrive tomorrow so I can give back the RAM I'm using right now to my mediaserver.

Too bad the 680GTX is out of stock everywhere as well. Ordered the EVGA one on Amazon. They'll inform me when it's ready to ship again :/

MrBig

Did you order an Ebay one? I plan on driving the 40 miles to Microcenter and paying the 400 to make sure I get one with no dead pixels.

Yes, I got a Crossover from AccessoriesWhole. He is one of the few sellers that ships them out himself and not from the manufacturer so he checks them to be sure they work and holds himself to the 1 dead pixel maximum gauruntee. Everyone who got more than one from him on OCN was refunded, or he payed for shipping back to him if there was a major problem.

I was going to go for the Microcenter one, but its even more of a crapshoot since you have to deal with the manufacturer warranty (no guarantee of dead pixels either) and the adboard/inputs means a response time of 25ms+

Too bad the 680GTX is out of stock everywhere as well. Ordered the EVGA one on Amazon. They'll inform me when it's ready to ship again :/

Just get a 670, you're not really missing out on any performance with an OC on them.

Pandemic

Around how much does a PC cost to last a few years, and for it to play the latest games, and future gen games?

Not sure if this is a logical question..

Ceebs

Yes, I got a Crossover from AccessoriesWhole. He is one of the few sellers that ships them out himself and not from the manufacturer so he checks them to be sure they work and holds himself to the 1 dead pixel maximum gauruntee. Everyone who got more than one from him on OCN was refunded, or he payed for shipping back to him if there was a major problem.
Oh interesting. Looking at his listings I have no clue which one I would want. Is there somewhere that lists all the details in English for these? Which one did you order?

Takuya

Banned
Oh interesting. Looking at his listings I have no clue which one I would want. Is there somewhere that lists all the details in English for these? Which one did you order?

I can vouch for that seller, got a CrossOver pivot form him as well, the pixel perfect version, and no complaints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom