• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r3/fs

Sorry on my iPad and I can't get copy/paste working well. Just max everything. I know the machine would be ridiculous. Just was curious about alienware's dependability, liquid cooling performance, etc.
It doesn't tell you anything about any of the components. CPU/GPU.

Self contained generic cooler. Whatever mobo. Whatever PSU.

It should have a warranty and not fail on you immediately. Not much to really go wrong, actually think I played on one of these at Red 5.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Don't like either of those.
JW motherboard? No thanks. OCZ SSD's? Also pass.

Both come with default SLi 560's? Nope. The first one doesn't even have a single card option. At least the second one offers a 580 as an option even if that is outdated from the 670/7950.

I'd ask one of the AU overclocking websites for information on prebuilts over there.

I checked one of Australia's biggest and most respected PC forums and they have "build" suggestions that can be put together by a store. Here's one that looks good:
$2,496 ($3,505) Intel Gaming Config Watercooled Gamer
(Best with a 2560 x 1440/1600 monitor, a 120Hz monitor, or a multi-monitor setup)

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K $249
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard $199
RAM: G.Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 $69
SSD: SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB $129
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (ST1000DM003) $99
GPU1: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB OC $569
GPU2: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB OC $569
Case: NZXT Switch 810 $215
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W $155
ODD: Sony DVD-RW OEM (AD7280SGB) $19
CPU Cooling: XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 Water Cooling Kit $179
FANS: 3x CoolerMaster 120mm Silent Red LED Fans for XSPC Radiator $45
Peripherals: [ Samsung S27A850D 120Hz (2560 x 1440) ~$750 / CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Cherry Red Keyboard ~$95 / Razer Lachesis V2 Gaming Mouse ~$79 / ROCCAT Kave Real 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset ~$85 ] (+$1,009)

Total: $2,496 ($3,505)

I can ditch the screen and head-set. Just would need to include Windows.

Thoughts?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I checked one of Australia's biggest and most respected PC forums and they have "build" suggestions that can be put together by a store. Here's one that looks good:

I can ditch the screen and head-set. Just would need to include Windows.

Thoughts?
Much much better.
Dual 7970's might be overkill, up to you. A single 670 or 7950 is 'good enough' for most and a beast of a card.

I have a very large preference for single card setups. Depends how much power and tweaking you want to do.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Much much better.
Dual 7970's might be overkill, up to you. A single 670 or 7950 is 'good enough' for most and a beast of a card.

I have a very large preference for single card setups. Depends how much power and tweaking you want to do.

Little to no tweaking. I basically want a machine that won't need upgrading for a good long while and will be ready for unreal engine 4 games and whatever the he'll will be needed to get graphics like those shown in the Square Enix engine demo.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Little to no tweaking. I basically want a machine that won't need upgrading for a good long while and will be ready for unreal engine 4 games and whatever the he'll will be needed to get graphics like those shown in the Square Enix engine demo.
If you don't have a brand preference then the 7970's are fine. They are very good cards and the 3GB of memory might help you down the line.
Though day 1 game support is worse than nVidia's IMO. Out of curiosity what is the cost there for 670's or 680's?
Yeah I don't think that machine exists yet.
czpkI.jpg

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
If you don't have a brand preference then the 7970's are fine. They are very good cards and the 3GB of memory might help you down the line.
Though day 1 game support is worse than nVidia's IMO. Out of curiosity what is the cost there for 670's or 680's?

]

$479 and $599 respectively.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
What system specs are you coming from?
Do you plan to play on something larger than 1080p?
Do you demand 60FPS on Very High settings?
Any plans for 120Hz? or 1600p?

Well, I haven't had a gaming PC in over 5 years. 1080p for the forseeable future. 60fps on the highest settings, yes. My tv doesn't have 120hz.

If you think I'm going overboard then take a gander at the other suggested builds:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1

Obviously the less I have to pay to meet my needs the better.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, I haven't had a gaming PC in over 5 years. 1080p for the forseeable future. 60fps on the highest settings, yes. My tv doesn't have 120hz.

If you think I'm going overboard then take a gander at the other suggested builds:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1

Obviously the less I have to pay to meet my needs the better.
If I were buying I'd go with a mix of parts from the OP and the $1,700 build there.
I know availability in AUS is not super great and prices can be funny, so just buy what you can get your hands on.

If Highest means High + 4xAA/FXAA and above 60FPS average than a single 670 might cut it. It's the value card in this situation and what I ended up getting. I'm ok with turning down a few settings to medium to try and get 60FPS minimum. Above that is the 7970, but the 3GB is not really going to help you. Above that is the 680. Anything about that and you are looking at doing SLi/xFire 670's / 7950's.

If you are looking to 'save' $400 now, I'd give a single 680 a shot. It's a great card and the slight bump over the 670 might be what you need. Most tech demos use that as reference like the UT demo.

Others more familiar with higher end hardware can also chime in, this is not my greatest area. Haven't had a real chance to break in the 670 because my mobo died and I've just been playing Diablo.

*Go ahead and read some GTX 680 and 7970 reviews and see if that performance is acceptable to you. I'd think so, but some people demand a lot more.

JayDub

This has probably been covered, but for low temps which is better? Closed loop or heat sink and fan setup? I've heard that the closed loops are more aesthetically pleasing, and that the heat sink gives similar temps even when OC'ing?

Thoughts?

Hawk269

This has probably been covered, but for low temps which is better? Closed loop or heat sink and fan setup? I've heard that the closed loops are more aesthetically pleasing, and that the heat sink gives similar temps even when OC'ing?

Thoughts?

How good of temps do you want though? Closed loops are pretty good, air coolers dependig on brand are also good. It comes down to how much cooling you want and if noise is a factor for you.

I had the H100 Corsair and it did a good job. I had it in a push/pull configuration and it did well although I did have the fan's turned up a bit. Right now I am setting a real water cooling set up and based on research I shoud be getting outrageous cool temps versues the H100.

harrytang

never built a computer before, but after following this thread for a few months now i've decided i just need to go for it.

planning on playing it safe and purchasing all of the parts in the Enthusiast build from OP. Only been a few weeks since last update, but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or ideas on last minute tweeks / changes before i pull the trigger. thanks guys! rig used mostly for gaming, maybe some music production with Reaper.

just want to add Hazaro the man so im not even really worried about it.

Ok, thanks. I'm new to pc-building so why do I need a new motherboard exactly?

the major reason is because you currently have a AMD processor (Athlon II X3 425) and your interested in getting a Intel processor (i5-2500k). The motherboard socket that holds these chips are different from each other due to being different processor manufacturers using their different tech approaches.

If you really don't want a new mother board you will have to find a better AMD processor that supports your current socket, if not, the i5 you want is gonna need a motherboard that supports it.

mkenyon

Banned
Ok, thanks. I'm new to pc-building so why do I need a new motherboard exactly?
You need a motherboard that supports an intel CPU. There's no where you can really go with your current one, so it's totally necessary if you want to upgrade.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r3/fs

Sorry on my iPad and I can't get copy/paste working well. Just max everything. I know the machine would be ridiculous. Just was curious about alienware's dependability, liquid cooling performance, etc.
Max what? There's no 'customize' anywhere. Just going off what they list in specs, its not that great, though it's all pretty vague.

Getting into LN2 or watercooling? If not, you're really throwing your money away.

Yeah i'm slowly building it. I bought a HAF 932 thinking on watercooling almost a year ago. I also didn't jump on ivy bridge but rather got a 2700k instead even if i'm gonna use a z77 chipset motherboard, since the Ivy bridge processors have that overheating problem due to thermal material and i'm just not ready to split the chip from the processor and re-paste it.

My intention is to try and achieve a good overclock. My first intention was to get a h100 corsair cooler. Well, you may be able to help me. I'd get a V gene but i'm planning on getting a second 5850 pretty cheap (like 70€) to CF (I know they arent the best scaling cards, but i've seen good enough results)... And I also have a PCI device that wouldn't fit. So I have to choose.

I want a motherboard with good OC capabilities and they pretty much say that the ROG are pretty beasty and control every element of the overclock very well.

So yeah, dilemma. I'm still on time to step back to a non-z77 chipset.... but Maybe ivy bridge will prove to be worthwhile later on? What should I do???

Ceebs

Max what? There's no 'customize' anywhere. Just going off what they list in specs, its not that great, though it's all pretty vague.

This is what a fully maxed out one would look like:

Software & Services
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-3960X (Six Core Extreme, 15MB Cache,Overclocked up to 4.2Ghz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64Bit, English edit
MEMORY 32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz edit
VIDEO CARD Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 – NVIDIA SLI® edit
HARD DRIVE 512GB SSD 6Gb/s MAIN + 1TB 7200RPM Storage edit
MEDIA READER 19-in-1 Media Card Reader edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium edit
WIRELESS & BLUETOOTH 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 EDR USB Combo Adapter edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: BD Burn, DVD+RW edit

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah i'm slowly building it. I bought a HAF 932 thinking on watercooling almost a year ago. I also didn't jump on ivy bridge but rather got a 2700k instead even if i'm gonna use a z77 chipset motherboard, since the Ivy bridge processors have that overheating problem due to thermal material and i'm just not ready to split the chip from the processor and re-paste it.

My intention is to try and achieve a good overclock. My first intention was to get a h100 corsair cooler. Well, you may be able to help me. I'd get a V gene but i'm planning on getting a second 5850 pretty cheap (like 70€) to CF (I know they arent the best scaling cards, but i've seen good enough results)... And I also have a PCI device that wouldn't fit. So I have to choose.

I want a motherboard with good OC capabilities and they pretty much say that the ROG are pretty beasty and control every element of the overclock very well.

So yeah, dilemma. I'm still on time to step back to a non-z77 chipset.... but Maybe ivy bridge will prove to be worthwhile later on? What should I do???
The thing about ivy/sb is that you don't need to control every aspect of the OC. You just need good phase VRM. You only adjust the multiplier and core voltage (or offset).

If you just want a good overclock, get the Sabertooth or a Z77 pro. Most of the features that you're paying for with an Extreme/Formula are aimed at full on watercooling (MOSFET, Chipset, CPU, and GPU) or LN2 benching. Totally overkill for a computer you're looking to do a solid 24/7 overclock with a closed loop system or high end air cooler.

If anything, take that money that'd you spend on the ridiculous motherboard and get a better graphics card.
This is what a fully maxed out one would look like:
Thanks! Everything I could find listed a P67 as the chipset, so I was assuming something totally different.

To the guy that won it: Do you know much about overclocking? If not, I'll gladly help you out nailing it down once you get it. Some of the stuff on there that is silly:
32GB Memory - don't need it unless you're doing multimedia stuff, and limits your overclock.
512GB SSD - Silly in an awesome way.
3960X - Zero gaming performance gain over 3930K or even 2700K really, except in Civ V.

Ceebs

Thanks! Everything I could find listed a P67 as the chipset, so I was assuming something totally different.

To the guy that won it: Do you know much about overclocking? If not, I'll gladly help you out nailing it down once you get it. Some of the stuff on there that is silly:
32GB Memory - don't need it unless you're doing multimedia stuff, and limits your overclock.
512GB SSD - Silly in an awesome way.
3960X - Zero gaming performance gain over 3930K or even 2700K really, except in Civ V.

As useless as most of that is, it still makes for some good brag material. That machine was priced at 5,500 bucks when I went through the customizer btw.

(I would totally try to sell it for 2-3K and build a very nice $1500 system myself)

mkenyon

Banned
If it goes for that much, I'd sell in NIB for $4.5K and put the funds into the proper places.

The 'silly' part as in, why spend money there when there is zero gain? Between the overkill SSD, RAM, and CPU, you could have quad 680s. (I of course understand that money wasn't spent, and it's a prize.)

I am interested to know which X79 motherboard they use in there. That will have such a significant impact on a system with those parts.

Noaloha

I wanna make a PC! I'd love some advice, especially from anyone up to speed with the UK market.

I've spent a while getting my feet wet in introductory reading/videos etc. and, last night, I felt it was time I tried a first pass at a build. I'm basing it largely on the 'Excellent' PC build in the OP. I've struggled to find many of the components exactly as listed on UK websites, but I'll let that speak for itself when I get to the list.

First, a few of those questions in the OP -

Budget: ~£800, UK
Main Use: Gaming with pretty graphics for a few years; video/audio capture (direct from PC and perhaps sometimes console); Dolphin emulation; maaaaybe some light, tiny audience live streaming..?
Monitor Resolution: Hm.. current crappy monitor is 1680x1050. I'll be upgrading it eventually (though not necessarily in terms of resolution) and going dual monitor as soon as I can.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Tribes: Ascend, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV.
When will you build?: Would ideally like to purchase all parts on the 25th June.
Will you be overclocking?: I'm a complete beginner and even without any clocking I'm sure I'll be blown away by a 'modern' rig's output but, sure, I'm bound to give OCing a go. Is it simple enough to push a 3.4 to 4.0?

Build v1.0

(CPU) -- Intel Core i5-3570K, S1155, 3.4GHz, 6MB --- £180

(MB) -- Asus P8Z77-V LX, S1155, Intel Z77, DDR3, ATX --- £92

(GPU) -- Asus GeForce, GTX560Ti 448 Cores, 732MHz, 1GB, PCI-E, HDMI --- £190

(HEATSINK) -- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus --- £30

(HDD) -- Seagate 2TB Barracuda, SATA, 6Gb/s, 64MB, 7200RPM --- £86

(PSU) -- Corsair Memory TX750 V2 750W ATX Enthusiast --- £80

(CASE) -- Fractal R3, Mid-Tower, USB 3.0 --- £69

(RAM) -- Whatever 2x4GB DDR3 w/ appropriate voltage I find. Will check to ensure compatibility of this after bigger decisions are made. ~£45
(DVD -- Whatever DVD-based optical drive I can find nearer to purchase date. Again, will check compatibility later. ~£15

(OS) -- Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit (OEM) --- £70

TOTAL (with -£40 online offer) = £820-ish

Questions that I have then (surely there'll be more to come as I get closer to pulling the trigger),

* I've ran across the term 'OEM' a few times. I think I gather what it refers to and what restrictions are in place for stuff to be sold as OEM, but is there anything else I should be wary of? The OEM Windows7 for example, all I need is the disc and a reg-code right? Manuals and packaging and etc aren't needed and there're no cables to miss. Similarly, I've seen a nice-looking OEM optical drive. If I were to buy that, do I need to carefully check fineprint to see if it's missing any proprietary cables or are optical drive cables standardised (or even included with something like the motherboard/PSU)?

* Reading some of the reviews of the Cooler Master 212+, many were saying that it's recommended to apply your own thermal paste. I've noticed that the paste is pretty dirt cheap but how does GAF feel about that advice? Does the 212+ come with its own paste? Is it pre-applied? Is removing and applying the paste the sort of crapshoot gamble that a complete beginner with no access to proper tools would be better off steering clear of?

* The motherboard! The one in the list above was chosen based on two things: a recommendation of Asus boards, coupled with the one listed in the OP (I think it was an 'LK' model). I can't an LK anywhere on the UK stores. To be honest the motherboard names are all so similar and yet distinctive in price that I'm finding them maddening. How is the one I've chosen (a Google of reviews for the specific model came up short). Is motherboard choice a thing I should put a lot of effort into? Is there a 'great choice' option that sits around or slightly above the pricepoint of the one listed? The one I've picked - and motherboard-knowledge in general - is the big unknown to me in this build.

* The case! Is the R3 complete overkill? I don't really care about prettiness. Just functionality and ease of build. This leads me on to the next question:

* Is any of the build overkill? I'm a little over budget on the build and I'm wondering if anything could be toned down for its price:performance ratio. I'm definitely considering dropping the 2TB HDD to a 1TB for example. In terms of the overall power of the machine though, I'm rather unwilling to suffer any marked reduction. Is the PSU too much? Is the heatsink really necessary (remembering that I'd like to fiddle with light OCing probably)?

* Is there any obvious reason I should be getting one of the other Windows7 versions?

* Plus the usual expert stuff that stands out like a sore thumb to you all (this is where you tell me that the video card I've chosen is actually for a laptop or that the motherboard won't fit in the case I've listed or that the OS is for an existing owner.)

Apologies if any of the above questions are outright dumb - I'm very much new to this stuff. Ignore the dumb bits as necessary and I'll understand that it doesn't warrant worrying about.

Advice and thoughts welcome on anything, especially considerations that I've plain old missed. Again, especially if it pertains to any particular quirks within the UK market.

Oh and yeah, sorry for the mammoth post! I write a lot when I get nervous and I get nervous a lot when I prepare to blow the better part of a grand on what amounts to a build-it-yourself toy.

Chris R

OEM just means "original equipment manufacturer". If you get Windows 7 OEM (you should) all you get is the manual and a disc, no fancy box. If you get an optical drive OEM (again, you should) you just get the drive, no cables or box included, but you don't need anything else because your motherboard will come with the data cable and your PSU will have the power cable.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I wanna make a PC! I'd love some advice, especially from anyone up to speed with the UK market.

I've spent a while getting my feet wet in introductory reading/videos etc. and, last night, I felt it was time I tried a first pass at a build. I'm basing it largely on the 'Excellent' PC build in the OP. I've struggled to find many of the components exactly as listed on UK websites, but I'll let that speak for itself when I get to the list.

Main Use: Gaming with pretty graphics for a few years; video/audio capture (direct from PC and perhaps sometimes console); Dolphin emulation; maaaaybe some light, tiny audience live streaming..?
Monitor Resolution: Hm.. current crappy monitor is 1680x1050. I'll be upgrading it eventually (though not necessarily in terms of resolution) and going dual monitor as soon as I can.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Tribes: Ascend, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV.
When will you build?: Would ideally like to purchase all parts on the 25th June.
Will you be overclocking?: I'm a complete beginner and even without any clocking I'm sure I'll be blown away by a 'modern' rig's output but, sure, I'm bound to give OCing a go. Is it simple enough to push a 3.4 to 4.0?

Build v1.0

(RAM) -- Whatever 2x4GB DDR3 w/ appropriate voltage I find. Will check to ensure compatibility of this after bigger decisions are made. ~£45
(DVD -- Whatever DVD-based optical drive I can find nearer to purchase date. Again, will check compatibility later. ~£15

Questions that I have then (surely there'll be more to come as I get closer to pulling the trigger),

* I've ran across the term 'OEM' a few times. I think I gather what it refers to and what restrictions are in place for stuff to be sold as OEM, but is there anything else I should be wary of? The OEM Windows7 for example, all I need is the disc and a reg-code right? Manuals and packaging and etc aren't needed and there're no cables to miss. Similarly, I've seen a nice-looking OEM optical drive. If I were to buy that, do I need to carefully check fineprint to see if it's missing any proprietary cables or are optical drive cables standardised (or even included with something like the motherboard/PSU)?

* Reading some of the reviews of the Cooler Master 212+, many were saying that it's recommended to apply your own thermal paste. I've noticed that the paste is pretty dirt cheap but how does GAF feel about that advice? Does the 212+ come with its own paste? Is it pre-applied? Is removing and applying the paste the sort of crapshoot gamble that a complete beginner with no access to proper tools would be better off steering clear of?

* The motherboard! The one in the list above was chosen based on two things: a recommendation of Asus boards, coupled with the one listed in the OP (I think it was an 'LK' model). I can't an LK anywhere on the UK stores. To be honest the motherboard names are all so similar and yet distinctive in price that I'm finding them maddening. How is the one I've chosen (a Google of reviews for the specific model came up short). Is motherboard choice a thing I should put a lot of effort into? Is there a 'great choice' option that sits around or slightly above the pricepoint of the one listed? The one I've picked - and motherboard-knowledge in general - is the big unknown to me in this build.

* The case! Is the R3 complete overkill? I don't really care about prettiness. Just functionality and ease of build. This leads me on to the next question:

* Is any of the build overkill? I'm a little over budget on the build and I'm wondering if anything could be toned down for its price:performance ratio. I'm definitely considering dropping the 2TB HDD to a 1TB for example. In terms of the overall power of the machine though, I'm rather unwilling to suffer any marked reduction. Is the PSU too much? Is the heatsink really necessary (remembering that I'd like to fiddle with light OCing probably)?

* Is there any obvious reason I should be getting one of the other Windows7 versions?

* Plus the usual expert stuff that stands out like a sore thumb to you all (this is where you tell me that the video card I've chosen is actually for a laptop or that the motherboard won't fit in the case I've listed or that the OS is for an existing owner.)

Apologies if any of the above questions are outright dumb - I'm very much new to this stuff. Ignore the dumb bits as necessary and I'll understand that it doesn't warrant worrying about.

Advice and thoughts welcome on anything, especially considerations that I've plain old missed. Again, especially if it pertains to any particular quirks within the UK market.

Oh and yeah, sorry for the mammoth post! I write a lot when I get nervous and I get nervous a lot when I prepare to blow the better part of a grand on what amounts to a build-it-yourself toy.
OEM means you are getting barebones. OEM Windows is just a disc and code, and only for one machine. OEM DVD means its just the DVD Burner. No box, no cables. Same with HDD. Cables come with your motherboard.
212 paste is just fine.
The LK is not seemingly in other countries and is too bad since the LX is worse, but should still be fine.
You can step down to a Source 210 or Zalman or cheaper fractal if you like.

Price cutting you can drop the heatsink and just do 4.0Ghz on stock voltage stock heatsink and shoud be ok.
PSU you can swap in this Antec, or get the 650W version of the Corsair: http://www.dabs.com/products/antec-520w-high-current-gamer-80plus-bronze-psu-7QST.html?refs=12&src=3

kharma45

Build v1.0

I'd swap out that 560Ti 448 for a 7850 http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...hicscards/amdhd7850series/r7850tf-2gd5oc.html

or you can go for a Sapphire one for less again http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphi...-pci-express-3-0-hdmi-80T9.html?q=7850&src=16

You can get superb overclocks out of them, arguably the best mid-range card around at the minute. I've my MSI TFIII stable at 1200MHz using 1.115v, great card for the money.

A 750w PSU seems overkill too, 650w would more than do

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsai...thusiast-series-7CHB.html?refs=55430000&src=3

or the modular version for £5 more than the normal one

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsai...ar-power-supply-7LGK.html?refs=55430000&src=3

The only other thing might be the case, personally I wouldn't spend so much on one but that's gonna be personal preference in the end.

Noaloha

Thanks for the replies so far. Been tinkering with it all and tried to take it as low as I could, based on the suggestions so far --- I can hit a build that's £100 cheaper than the above and it seems fine (downgraded HDD size, the PSU wattage, the case and removal of the 212+). Allows enough monetary room to bump things back up if I want (dunno what to think now of the coolermaster!) or allow me to redirect some of that saved cash towards My First Steam Sale.

The 560Ti448 vs 7850 thing is certainly giving me pause for thought after spending a while peering in at various forum discussions on the comparison.

I think I'm erring towards the 7850 for reasons (which I don't claim to fully grasp) like the doubled video RAM and the claim that it runs at a lower temp.

Hmmm!

Orca

Hey guys a friend wants to upgrade the CPU on his computer and asked what I'd put in. He said he has an nForce 680i LT SLI, but I'm not really familiar with it enough to recommend what's his best bang for the buck on something that old.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
PC building noob here trying to decide if I should shell out an extra $100 for an i7 or stick with getting an i5 for this summer's build. Anyone able to help me understand exactly what my money would be getting me?

I've been considering upgrading my old PC in stages - Currently it's a Q6600 with 4gig of ram and 8800GT, but it seems like an upgrade to a HD6870 will probably get me to the point where I'm not GPU limited, and then I can think about upgrading the rest of the bits next year when I have a little bit more disposable income.

It's been 4 years since I've built a PC, so I don't really know if this is a reasonable plan or not - anyone care to comment?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys a friend wants to upgrade the CPU on his computer and asked what I'd put in. He said he has an nForce 680i LT SLI, but I'm not really familiar with it enough to recommend what's his best bang for the buck on something that old.
Nothing out there for socket 775 really. Needs a mobo/cpu/RAM upgrade to go anywhere.
PC building noob here trying to decide if I should shell out an extra $100 for an i7 or stick with getting an i5 for this summer's build. Anyone able to help me understand exactly what my money would be getting me?
Do you:

A) Stream and want 100+ FPS
B) Do lots of encoding/rendering/multimedia stuff
C) Want ultimate Civ V performance
D) Want a larger epeen

If the answer to all of the above is no, then the i5 is what you want. They're the same proc, i7 just has two threads per core, meaning that n-threaded applications (meaning they can use every thread available) perform better.

The 560Ti448 vs 7850 thing is certainly giving me pause for thought after spending a while peering in at various forum discussions on the comparison.

I think I'm erring towards the 7850 for reasons (which I don't claim to fully grasp) like the doubled video RAM and the claim that it runs at a lower temp.

Hmmm!
The former doesn't really matter unless you want to max out AA and run at resolutions higher than 1080p. The latter doesn't matter at all.

The Technomancer

Do you:

A) Stream and want 100+ FPS
B) Do lots of encoding/rendering/multimedia stuff
C) Want ultimate Civ V performance
D) Want a larger epeen

If the answer to all of the above is no, then the i5 is what you want. They're the same proc, i7 just has two threads per core, meaning that n-threaded applications (meaning they can use every thread available) perform better.

i5 it is

the major reason is because you currently have a AMD processor (Athlon II X3 425) and your interested in getting a Intel processor (i5-2500k). The motherboard socket that holds these chips are different from each other due to being different processor manufacturers using their different tech approaches.

If you really don't want a new mother board you will have to find a better AMD processor that supports your current socket, if not, the i5 you want is gonna need a motherboard that supports it.

You need a motherboard that supports an intel CPU. There's no where you can really go with your current one, so it's totally necessary if you want to upgrade.
I understand, much appreciated guys. I'll probably check back in a week or so when I have my plans finalized.

Smokey

Would it be worth it to scoop up a 3770k? Currently on a 2600k. I forgot my mobo supported PCI-E 3.0 cards and since I have a 690 now this could be of some use to me. Not sure how much it would impact gaming performance, but at least I would know that's running at it's maximum spec.

mkenyon

Banned
Would it be worth it to scoop up a 3770k? Currently on a 2600k. I forgot my mobo supported PCI-E 3.0 cards and since I have a 690 now this could be of some use to me. Not sure how much it would impact gaming performance, but at least I would know that's running at it's maximum spec.
Might be. Though it's not apples to apples, I could swap out my 690 and put it in the P67 Sabertooth and see the difference in performance if you don't mind waiting a day or two.

*EDIT* Nevermind!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/626059-post25.html

NV-GTX-690-91.jpg

kharma45

Thanks for the replies so far. Been tinkering with it all and tried to take it as low as I could, based on the suggestions so far --- I can hit a build that's £100 cheaper than the above and it seems fine (downgraded HDD size, the PSU wattage, the case and removal of the 212+). Allows enough monetary room to bump things back up if I want (dunno what to think now of the coolermaster!) or allow me to redirect some of that saved cash towards My First Steam Sale.

Hmmm!

I was in the same position as you (I was originally all set to get a 560Ti 448) but plumped for the 7850 because of the overclocks, gets up to GTX580 levels.

As already said the lower temperature isn't really that big a deal but they do use less power if that matters to you. As for VRAM, at the minute there isn't many games that'll use over 1GB but it doesn't hurt to future proof yourself.

Plus at stock anyway the 7850 is the faster card and if you went for the Sapphire one (which is still a good card although my preference would be with the MSI) it'd bring down the cost of your build overall, more money for the Steam sale :p

Smokey

Might be. Though it's not apples to apples, I could swap out my 690 and put it in the P67 Sabertooth and see the difference in performance if you don't mind waiting a day or two.

*EDIT* Nevermind!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/626059-post25.html

NV-GTX-690-91.jpg

Welp, that answers my question. Perfect chart too as that is my resolution. Thanks pal. Seems to be a different story for 1920x1200:

NV-GTX-690-92.jpg

Still haven't OC'd the 690, although tbh I'm not really seeing a need to. At 120hz sure, since I need to get as close to 120fps as possible. But at 60hz? I'm already getting 60 fps in all of my games so it wouldn't help me. It would be more for benchmarking.

I also love the Frame Target feature in Precision X. I have found out over the previous days that SLI performance in BF3 MP is horrible. Many think it is a result of one of the recent patches by DICE. This doesn't occur in the SP, just MP. Utilization jumps everywhere resulting in a very choppy experience. I have read this on numerous forums where people are complaining with 600 series cards. Being able to limit the fps to 60 really helps in this area since the GPUs aren't bouncing all over the place when I'm playing.

Madridy

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the Antec BP550w sufficient for a 670 (ASUS TOP ed) + an OCed 2500k/3570k build? Also will it fit in the Silverstone TJ08-E micro Case?

2) What are the better mATX Motherboards available at Amazon for OCing (or overall)?

RedSwirl

Just a quick question: how much difference in game performance does the CPU alone really make?

For really high-end games like Crysis 2 or The Witcher, what difference would it actually make if I kept the same graphics card (an HD6850), but switched from a Q6600 system to an i5 or i7 system?

Sorry to have to re-quote this, but upgrading the same graphics card to a new system would probably mean more RAM too (I currently only have 3GB and would move to 8GB).

The Technomancer

Wooo, I'm on my way! Go my RAM and motherboard for my birthday a few weeks ago, I just ordered the case, hard-drive, power supply and cd drive today, and tomorrow when I get my paycheck I'll order the CPU and GPU.

Hellish

Welp, that answers my question. Perfect chart too as that is my resolution. Thanks pal. Seems to be a different story for 1920x1200:

NV-GTX-690-92.jpg

Still haven't OC'd the 690, although tbh I'm not really seeing a need to. At 120hz sure, since I need to get as close to 120fps as possible. But at 60hz? I'm already getting 60 fps in all of my games so it wouldn't help me. It would be more for benchmarking.

I also love the Frame Target feature in Precision X. I have found out over the previous days that SLI performance in BF3 MP is horrible. Many think it is a result of one of the recent patches by DICE. This doesn't occur in the SP, just MP. Utilization jumps everywhere resulting in a very choppy experience. I have read this on numerous forums where people are complaining with 600 series cards. Being able to limit the fps to 60 really helps in this area since the GPUs aren't bouncing all over the place when I'm playing.

At higher resolutions it starts to matter way more, and more gpus makes it also matter

PCI-ETests.jpg

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1537816&mpage=1&print=true

Orca

Nothing out there for socket 775 really. Needs a mobo/cpu/RAM upgrade to go anywhere.

That's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask. If he won't go new, is there something that'd be a 'best case' CPU upgrade? He has a Q6600 but I'm not sure what it's clocked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom