• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

I see people are mostly getting the i5 2500k. What's the difference between 2500k and 3570k? One is second gen and other third? Which one is better?

Ivy is just an architecture shrink of Sandy, it doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of performance really, besides PCIe 3.0. For as long as it's more expensive than the 2500k there isn't much reason to pay more for it.

no i havent seen it. I have two SLI 470s and they are almost twice as long as these. I would wish mine were this short.

how on earth... graphics cards have consistently gotten bigger and bigger. what the hell happened? how did they stop the evolution?

Yup, that's how big the reference 670 is. Reference designs just look bigger because they use a standard 680-style shroud:

Xxqro.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Swapped my HDD to Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (I just cant afford an SSD for my OS and most used stuff.)
PSU Swapped to OCZ 500W ATX12V / EPS12V (Dont want to gimp myself for future plans too much.)
Mobo swapped to Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 ATX LGA1155 (is this good enough?) Biostar are hard to get hold of where I live it seems.
Case swapped to Xigmatek Asgard II Black/Orange ATX Mid Tower Case
Down to £699 now which is pretty close to target.
If this revised list checks out with you guys, the next hurdle is to convince the wife!
Don't buy P67 Gigabyte, it has boot loop issues. Other brands on P67 should be fine.
I see people are mostly getting the i5 2500k. What's the difference between 2500k and 3570k? One is second gen and other third? Which one is better?
2570K is about 5% faster, uses less power at stock. Both overclock nicely to about the same speed at near stock voltage. However any higher aggressive overclocks seem dicey and Ivy gets hotter.

The price difference is enough for the same performance where people can go with the 2500K if they want to save a touch of money. It seems like there are more 3570K promos (It's $220 now on newegg), and I'm getting over the fact that it costs slightly more.

If you aren't on a super srtict budget you should probably get a 3570K

Rflagg

Forgive but would my motherboard and psu be enough to safely run this video card.

I spent a silly amount of time trying to find a nice upgrade for my 5750 and keep my mb/psu and form what I understand this should be fine, but my tech knowledge is very limited.

The price difference is enough for the same performance where people can go with the 2500K if they want to save a touch of money. It seems like there are more 3570K promos (It's $220 now on newegg), and I'm getting over the fact that it costs slightly more.

If you aren't on a super srtict budget you should probably get a 3570K

Everytime i see these promos (the deals they email are pretty awesome) i'm sad newegg basically doesn't want my money :(

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i should be getting my new computer tommorow. :3

stupid question: when i first put it together and start it up pre-windows installation; do i plug the monitor into the board or the gpu? >_>

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i should be getting my new computer tommorow. :3

stupid question: when i first put it together and start it up pre-windows installation; do i plug the monitor into the board or the gpu? >_>
Mobo should detect GPU video and route it through there.

Fou-Lu

Man, I really want to try to fit a 670 into my build, but 12% HST in BC is killer. Trying to keep it under $1000 after tax. I always end up at like $1100-$1200 or so. I can already barely afford the $1000 PC as is (I've budgeted the entire year, I'll just barely scrape by if I eat well)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Man, I really want to try to fit a 670 into my build, but 12% HST in BC is killer. Trying to keep it under $1000 after tax. I always end up at like $1100-$1200 or so. I can already barely afford the $1000 PC as is (I've budgeted the entire year, I'll just barely scrape by if I eat well)
Buy a used 2500K
Buy a used 6950 2GB
Buy used PSU and memory

Don't cut your corners too close just for a PC upgrade.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm an idiot and followed a tutorial a bit too closely. I put the stock fan on my i5 2500 instead of the Coolmaster fan I had. Now, I want to take off the fan, but how should I do this. First time builder here, and I've tried taking off the fan by pulling on the four clips, but I'm afraid to pull too hard. Does it just take a lot of force or is there a secret I don't know about?

Additionally, when I take off the CPU fan there will be thermal paste on it. What exactly should I do about that? Leave it like it is? Put more on?

clav

Twist the black clips in the arrow directions as printed on top. Then you can pull.

Do it in a cross fashion way.

1 2
3 4

Twist 1 and 4.
Twist 2 and 3.

Pull individual clips if necessary.

Ceebs

I'm an idiot and followed a tutorial a bit too closely. I put the stock fan on my i5 2500 instead of the Coolmaster fan I had. Now, I want to take off the fan, but how should I do this. First time builder here, and I've tried taking off the fan by pulling on the four clips, but I'm afraid to pull too hard. Does it just take a lot of force or is there a secret I don't know about?

Additionally, when I take off the CPU fan there will be thermal paste on it. What exactly should I do about that? Leave it like it is? Put more on?

I think the stock fan has those tabs you have to turn to unlock before you can pull it off. Look on the back of the MB. If the tabs poking out are separated it is still locked. (I think, I have only ever glanced at the stock fans before tossing them aside)

You need to get some 99% isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth to clean the CPU of thermal paste before you reapply anymore.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think the stock fan has those tabs you have to turn to unlock before you can pull it off. Look on the back of the MB. If the tabs poking out are separated it is still locked. (I think, I have only ever glanced at the stock fans before tossing them aside)

You need to get some 99% isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth to clean the CPU of thermal paste before you reapply anymore.

Where can I get 99% isopropyl alcohol?

I got it out. Thanks guys.

Ideally you want something that doesn't leave behind lint. A microfiber cleaning cloth like the ones used to clean glasses is ideal, but if you don't want to spend money on that and destroy it by getting thermal paste on it, a coffee filter works too.

JayDub

About fans...

1. Is there an adapter where I can plug in all my fans to a molex?

2. How do you guys usually plug them in? Straight to power or via mobo?

Running a push/pull but dont have enough fan connectors on the mobo.

Ceebs

Ideally you want something that doesn't leave behind lint. A microfiber cleaning cloth like the ones used to clean glasses is ideal, but if you don't want to spend money on that and destroy it by getting thermal paste on it, a coffee filter works too.

Coffee filters are great for cleaning with. I use them on all my house and car mirrors for this exact reason.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
All this talk about fans...

Overclocking matters aside, is there any benefit to using, say, a 212+ for the CPU instead of the stock heatsink? Does it run quieter? Cooler? If it's cooler, will it significantly increase durability or improve another aspect?

abunai

About fans...

1. Is there an adapter where I can plug in all my fans to a molex?

2. How do you guys usually plug them in? Straight to power or via mobo?

Running a push/pull but dont have enough fan connectors on the mobo.

All the case fans I use have a motherboard and molex adapter on the one cable. Does yours not? Never heard of that before. Apparently these exist though.

All this talk about fans...

Overclocking matters aside, is there any benefit to using, say, a 212+ for the CPU instead of the stock heatsink? Does it run quieter? Cooler? If it's cooler, will it significantly increase durability or improve another aspect?

Stock coolers are generally acceptable for stock clocks. You do not want to overclock on them really, at all. A 212+ is much improved in temperature regulation and it does run quieter. If you aren't overclocking however, there might not be much point. The only benefits would be decreased noise and future potential for overclocking, at stock clocks the retail cooler will be sufficient - you wouldn't run into any sort of danger zones in terms of temperature. However, if you have cash lying around, it's always nice to have lower temps.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stock coolers are generally acceptable for stock clocks. You do not want to overclock on them really, at all. A 212+ is much improved in temperature regulation and it does run quieter. If you aren't overclocking however, there might not be much point. The only benefits would be decreased noise and future potential for overclocking, at stock clocks the retail cooler will be sufficient - you wouldn't run into any sort of danger zones in terms of temperature. However, if you have cash lying around, it's always nice to have lower temps.

In other words, yes if I can afford it, otherwise don't bother. Thank you :).

Smokey

Any opinons on the CM Storm Trooper case?

Watched the video review on it yesterday from OC3D.net and the guy had nothing but high praise for this case. It looks really good and spacious. It certainly looks better than the HAF X IMO.

Notperk

Neo Member

Watched the video review on it yesterday from OC3D.net and the guy had nothing but high praise for this case. It looks really good and spacious. It certainly looks better than the HAF X IMO.

It's good, but it has only one 200mm fan at the top. The HAF X has two 200mm fans at the top. Also, it has two 120mm fans in the front, instead of the HAF X's single 230mm fan. So, if you prefer high CFM 120mm fans to medium CFM >120mm fans, get the Storm Trooper. Otherwise, you should get the HAF X.

Also, here's someone who modified the HAF X to fit a 400mm radiator at the top (link).

mkenyon

Banned

It has a ton of good features and outstanding build quality, but I certainly couldn't see myself getting one over the Shinobi XL or even Switch 810. That might be aesthetics and taste that guides that for me, but I can't tell for certain.

If you ever wanted to get into watercooling, you'd be better served by those latter two as well. IIRC, the Trooper takes a lot more modding to get it into shape.

In other words, yes if I can afford it, otherwise don't bother. Thank you :).
It's a *lot* quieter.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh... Even factoring in the fact that I will be using a Fractal R3 case (which I'm told is very quiet)?

The case is quiet mostly because of the fans that are used. The sound dampening materials certainly help, but a quiet computer needs to be looked at from a component level. The stock heatsink and your videocard will most likely be the loudest things in the case.

MrBig

Oh... Even factoring in the fact that I will be using a Fractal R3 case (which I'm told is very quiet)?

The R3 isn't necessarily quieting, the material inside it just stops the sound of whatever in there from reverberating and being amplified by hard naked metal. If you don't put quiet parts in there in the first place it will still be loud.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The case is quiet mostly because of the fans that are used. The sound dampening materials certainly help, but a quiet computer needs to be looked at from a component level. The stock heatsink and your videocard will most likely be the loudest things in the case.

The R3 isn't necessarily quieting, the material inside it just stops the sound of whatever in there from reverberating and being amplified by hard naked metal. If you don't put quiet parts in there in the first place it will still be loud.

So I pretty much have to buy a Coolermaster or something like it for the CPU then. What about the stock fans in the case (I assume it comes with 1/2 fans?)?

MrBig

Stock fans are quiet but they aren't of the best quality. I already need to replace my exhaust fan. It'd also be a good idea to get a side fan for it, which I still need to do. I'm running without the side panel on atm because my 670 gets way too hot (upper 70s vs mid 60s) without having access to air

mkenyon

Banned
Stock fans are quiet but they aren't of the best quality. I already need to replace my exhaust fan. It'd also be a good idea to get a side fan for it, which I still need to do. I'm running without the side panel on atm because my 670 gets way too hot (upper 70s vs mid 60s) without having access to air
Upper 70s is more than fine. Or is it more about reducing temps to reduce the video card fan speed?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
That's a lot of fans to consider :lol. How much is this all gonna set me back and how difficult is the process of setting it all up (I've never mounted fans or built a PC from the ground up)?
About GPU fans: which brands use non-reference designs (for an HD 6870 1GB) with good fans?

ag-my001

According to Newegg tracking my order should show up later today. Could someone remind me of the website that let you download a lot of common programs (Flash, browsers, etc.) in one .zip file so that you could have it ready once a system was up and running?

mkenyon

Banned
That's a lot of fans to consider :lol. How much is this all gonna set me back and how difficult is the process of setting it all up (I've never mounted fans or built a PC from the ground up)?
About GPU fans: which brands use non-reference designs (for an HD 6870 1GB) with good fans?
If you want silence, you generally have to pay a fairly significant premium. Fans, maybe $50 in total. Low RPM (1000-1200) is what you generally want. Buy Scythe, Yate Loon, Noiseblocker, Bitfenix, and Corsair's new line (AF I think?). Yate Loon low RPM I think are the least expensive at $6 a piece. Installing new fans is as simple as screwing them in. Easy peasy.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
If you want silence, you generally have to pay a fairly significant premium. Fans, maybe $50 in total. Low RPM (1000-1200) is what you generally want. Buy Scythe, Yate Loon, Noiseblocker, Bitfenix, and Corsair's new line (AF I think?). Yate Loon low RPM I think are the least expensive at $6 a piece. Installing new fans is as simple as screwing them in. Easy peasy.

Great advice, thank you. Are even those cheap Yate Loon fans better quality than stock case fans in a Fractal R3 still? Obviously I don't want to be changing the fans every year.

I have nothing but praise for the HIS iceQ 7850 2gb. It is so quiet compared to other cards ive had. Idle the card runs at 29c and running bf3 on ultra its in the high 50's. My last card hummed and this one is barely more audible than when its idle.

I have nothing but praise for the HIS iceQ 7850 2gb. It is so quiet compared to other cards ive had. Idle the card runs at 29c and running bf3 on ultra its in the high 50's. My last card hummed and this one is barely more audible than when its idle.

This is good to hear. I was planning on the 6870 version so I'm glad to hear the temp and noise perks. How many case fans are you using? I'm just going to try a rear fan (in addition to stock CPU/PSU fans) and see how that does, then keep a spare on hand if I need another.

kharma45

I've a non-reference fan on my 7850 too, the MSI Twin Frozr III one and it's brilliant.

Not quite as cool as KoruptData's but I could have more volts or something going through mine or just have a warmer case inside.

With it running Football Manager 2012 and all it's graphical intensity it's sitting at 34 degrees at the minute.

This is good to hear. I was planning on the 6870 version so I'm glad to hear the temp and noise perks. How many case fans are you using? I'm just going to try a rear fan (in addition to stock CPU/PSU fans) and see how that does, then keep a spare on hand if I need another.

Im running the same setup. Perk i have is i live in a bottom floor apt that is submerged in the ground and it stays really cool and the vent for the AC blows right on the case from about 4 feet away.

cametall

Got a new PC recently and I'm noticing the CPU's highest temperature rising day by day by 1c or so.

It idles in the low 40s, playing The Witcher 2 or any moba game each core is between 69-72c.

But Diablo 3 has been pushing the highest temperature up every time I play it. From 72c at the beginning to 78c just last night (in 1 or 2 cores).

The CPU is an Intel i5 3570K, not OC'd. The CPU cooler is a Corsair H60.

Is this normal or OK for my CPU or could something be happening to the cooler here?

Im running the same setup. Perk i have is i live in a bottom floor apt that is submerged in the ground and it stays really cool and the vent for the AC blows right on the case from about 4 feet away.

That is an unfair competitive advantage! Actually now that I think about it my vent wouldn't be too far away either. And my card would only need about 20 more watts of power than yours so I think results should be similar. Excited I probably won't have to change anything in my case besides slapping the card in.

abunai

Got a new PC recently and I'm noticing the CPU's highest temperature rising day by day by 1c or so.

It idles in the low 40s, playing The Witcher 2 or any moba game each core is between 69-72c.

But Diablo 3 has been pushing the highest temperature up every time I play it. From 72c at the beginning to 78c just last night (in 1 or 2 cores).

Is this normal or OK for my CPU or could something be happening to the cooler here?

You might want to try re-seating your heatsink, those temperatures are quite high for a non-overclocked CPU. For reference, my 3570k @ 4.6GHz is 65c~ under load (prolimatech megahalem cooler).

cametall

You might want to try re-seating your heatsink, those temperatures are quite high for a non-overclocked CPU. For reference, my 3570k @ 4.6GHz is 65c~ under load (prolimatech megahalem cooler).

Any suggestions for thermal compound? I'll have to buy some so I can attempt to reseat the cooling plate.

mkenyon

Banned

Is it getting warmer where you live? 1C ambient = 1C core increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom