• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manp

so GAF, finally finished:

vdDbS.jpg

specs:
Corsair 600T White
Corsair HX750 psu *
Intel 3770k
Asrock Z77 Extreme6
16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970 *
Asus Xonar DX *
Crucial M4 128GB *
2TB + 1 TB HDDs for storage *
(* old parts)

and a lot of work gone into sleeving the shit out of those cables (some are factory made, some made by me like all the case cables) :D

i'm quite happy with the result.

:)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Enhanced does a great job all around. Really truly is the best value.
Being in France you'll likely have to make substitutions on the motherboard and power supply to higher end parts though.

It'll demolish D3 and most other titles at 1080p and hopefully leave enough room for an SSD in your budget.

Take a look at what parts you have available where you are and what is missing from the list. Then camp out for deals if you aren't building now. No real replacement parts should be out by summer, so nothing to look forward to.

Thanks, man! Should I still get a 2500K if I don't want to overclock? Like, does the K only add overclocking options or is it more powerful than non-K CPUs anyway?
What case would you recommend if I want silence and good dust management (aiming for a mid-sized case, don't need more)?

[EDIT] Nevermind, saw it in the guide. Is the 2400 as powerful as the 2500K sans overclocking?

I posted this in the Headphone thread but thought I'd get some input here too.

Denon D2000 if you want closed.

Beyerdynamic DT880 (32 ohm if running off soundcard) or Sennheiser HD598 if you want open.

The Denons are the easiest to drive of the three and are easily the best for hip hop in this range.

Madridy

Hello Guys, Putting together the last finishing touches of my Build's components.

Will the Seasonic X560w PSU be enough for OCed i5 3570k and ASUS TOP 670 with a SSD and a HDD build?

Also are the Corsair Air Series AF120 fans good as a CPU Hyper 212+ HSF? or as a case fan?

knitoe

Thanks, man! Should I still get a 2500K if I don't want to overclock? Like, does the K only add overclocking options or is it more powerful than non-K CPUs anyway?
What case would you recommend if I want silence and good dust management (aiming for a mid-sized case, don't need more)?

[EDIT] Nevermind, saw it in the guide. Is the 2400 as powerful as the 2500K sans overclocking?

The 2500K is faster at stock, 3.3 vs 3.1GHz. And, overclocking a 2500K to 4.5-4.5 GHz makes the difference huge. There are games already somewhat limited by 4.5GHz. If you go with 2400, you will regret it later on.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The 2500K is faster at stock, 3.3 vs 3.1GHz. And, overclocking a 2500K to 4.5-4.5 GHz makes the difference huge. There are games already somewhat limited by 4.5GHz. If you go with 2400, you will regret it later on.

I don't intend to overclock my rig.

How's this for a start?

CPU: i5 2500K
MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4Go) - CML8GX3M2A1600C9
GPU: HD6870 1GB (which brands would you recommend, if any?)
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
PSU: Antec 450W Neo Eco
Case: Fractal R3
Optical: Samsung SH-118AB

Rflagg

So please help me, I want to buy 560 ti ,but it needs at least a 550w psu and I only have a 500w psu.

I want to know if I could replace the 500w psu with say the 650w psu form the recommended spec sheet on the front page and keep the old the connections in place.

If not and some kind soul would let me know if the 550 ti would be the best card that would work with a pci-e 2.0 and 500w psu I would be love you forever.

Ledsen

How's this for a start?

Overclocking consists of changing one number from 33 to 45. Couldn't be easier. You'll want the option so you can buy a new CPU fan and just go straight to that 4.5 GHz later on.

ArecxP

Banned
Okay, problem solved. It was the cooler. I bought they HR 02 and now my temperatures don't get into the 80s. Now I just need to make sure the it is mounted securely so that maybe the temperatures might drop a little. I also need to get a bigger case, everything feels cramped now because that fan is huge lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

I recommend the 2500k because of the better resale value and speed.
So please help me, I want to buy 560 ti ,but it needs at least a 550w psu and I only have a 500w psu.

I want to know if I could replace the 500w psu with say the 650w psu form the recommended spec sheet on the front page and keep the old the connections in place.

If not and some kind soul would let me know if the 550 ti would be the best card that would work with a pci-e 2.0 and 500w psu I would be love you forever.
What psu model?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What is a good Wifi adapter? I'm getting really turned with seemingly every wifi adapter on Amazon getting "poor range" or having install issues.

Varna

How does everyone cope with summer time weather? I don't have very good AC so it can get pretty hot at my place. PC temps are getting way too hot.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Overclocking consists of changing one number from 33 to 45. Couldn't be easier. You'll want the option so you can buy a new CPU fan and just go straight to that 4.5 GHz later on.

I see. In that case, is the PSU I chose sufficient?

I recommend the 2500k because of the better resale value and speed.

Thanks again, man. Any other comments on my tentative build?

metalshade

This thread really is a gold mine!
As a complete scrub, I am leaning so much!
I would like some knowledgeable kindly soul to look over my parts list and let me know if I have actually figured this out right?
Also, a quick question, what difference does it make to have modular/non modular power supply? The non modulars just mean I cant remove the unused cables, right?
I am aiming to be able to game at 1080p 60fps. I am not worried about achieving much in things like AA, but I would like to avoid screen tear. I am coming from an Xbox 360, so I will be impressed with a modest leap in graphical tricks, I don't need to max everything, but hey, more is always better.
So here is my list.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)
Total: £752.01
I was hoping to keep it to about £650, but I cant see how to economise anywhere but keep the same performance estimates.
I also expect to overclock the i5 by a bit, hence the non oem cooler.
Does this seem like a sensible set up, are there any areas where I have over/under compensated?

Thanks guys, so excited to get stuck in to this whole new world!

RS4-

How does everyone cope with summer time weather? I don't have very good AC so it can get pretty hot at my place. PC temps are getting way too hot.

I hate summer in general lol. My temps go up 10c and makes my room unbearable at times.

What is a good Wifi adapter? I'm getting really turned with seemingly every wifi adapter on Amazon getting "poor range" or having install issues.

I'm using this. I've only had a week of experience with it but it seems to be solid - the one exception being my computer decided to go into hibernation overnight the first day I used it and when it woke up it didn't recognize the adapter. All I had to do was take it out of the port and plug it back in and it worked fine. Good speed too for USB2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

How's this for a start?

Fine. PSU is fine.
I just deal with it. 1C of ambient = 1C higher CPU temps in general.
e.g. Room Temp of 23C = 60C load, 28C = 65C load.
Antec EA-500d
Fine

Is the Crucial M4 a good SSD? Does anyone here have one? I notice that it doesn't come with any software tools like the Intel and Samsung SSDs, how do you verify if TRIM is working and optimize performance of SSD and OS without software?

Coldsnap

I was looking to upgrade my card but it seems like my current one has hardly dropped in price since I last bought it. Like only $10. My card is "MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II OC".. Why is this so?

So I just wanted to check in with a 6 month review of my R3 Fractal case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352002

1. It's quiet as hell and has been great.

2. It's really cool.

3. I just opened it and NOT A SPECK OF DUST has entered the chassis. So awesome. Blew me away.

I'd also like to echo this. I use to vacuum the machine religiously but I recently moved and got caught up with work and didn't vacuum it out for at least 2 months. I go inside yesterday to do it and there's like zero dust. WTF insane.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was looking to upgrade my card but it seems like my current one has hardly dropped in price since I last bought it. Like only $10. My card is "MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II OC".. Why is this so?
570 stock is overlapping with where the 660 should launch so it's release and the 640/650 is delayed for a long time.

AMD wasn't pushing the 7850/7870 as much in value at launch either, so there's no pressure at that price point.

Nab a 670 if you want a nice upgrade.

Ceebs

I would not complain. Buy a 670 and resell that 560. You should still get quite a bit for it while Nvidia is dragging ass on the new ones.

About to hit the purchase button on my new build. Any last minute commments?

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W ST75F-P
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mesh
ODD: Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW OEM
Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02B Black USB 3.0

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
About to hit the purchase button on my new build. Any last minute commments?

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
CPU HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W ST75F-P
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mesh
ODD: Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW OEM
Case: Silverstone Fortress FT02B Black USB 3.0
Seems fine to me.
This thread really is a gold mine!
As a complete scrub, I am leaning so much!
I would like some knowledgeable kindly soul to look over my parts list and let me know if I have actually figured this out right?
Also, a quick question, what difference does it make to have modular/non modular power supply? The non modulars just mean I cant remove the unused cables, right?
I am aiming to be able to game at 1080p 60fps. I am not worried about achieving much in things like AA, but I would like to avoid screen tear. I am coming from an Xbox 360, so I will be impressed with a modest leap in graphical tricks, I don't need to max everything, but hey, more is always better.
So here is my list.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)
Total: £752.01
I was hoping to keep it to about £650, but I cant see how to economise anywhere but keep the same performance estimates.
I also expect to overclock the i5 by a bit, hence the non oem cooler.
Does this seem like a sensible set up, are there any areas where I have over/under compensated?

Thanks guys, so excited to get stuck in to this whole new world!
Swag the WD Green drive for something else. You don't want one of those as an OS drive.

You can do better case wise for the same money I think.

Can you get a VP450, or Biostar mobo to bring down cost a touch?

Edgeward

Ordered my parts yesterday and been boning up on what do software/driver wise once I set it up. Everything is pretty straight forward except when downloading all the stuff for the motherboard there is one for the BIOs I think that I don't know how to apply.

It's a CAP file. I get that I'm supposed to rename it and all but what do I do next?

Daante

Ghaa!,

Cant decide what my new graphics card will be.

Most important thing for me is that the card is silent, can bitstream HD audio to my amplifier and somewhat delivers a good experience when playing games at 1920x1080.

Read a ton of reviews on the current line up and basically i have narrowed it down to:

Sapphire 7850 - really great performance for what it actually costs here where i live
Sapphire 7950 - same as above (its around the same price as the 7870 actually)
Asus Gtx 670 - best of them all but also costs a lot more..

I have NEVER bought a card that cost as much as the gtx 670 does, thats why i think im hesitating. I know that tech moves fast but i want at least to stick with the card im choosing for a year or so. I dont need to max everything out with AA etc to enjoy games, im more a stable FPS guy who rather take solid 60 fps before fancy flashy stuff.

Advice? (im leaning towards the gtx 670)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ghaa!,

Most important thing for me is that the card is silent, can bitstream HD audio to my amplifier and somewhat delivers a good experience when playing games at 1920x1080.

Read a ton of reviews on the current line up and basically i have narrowed it down to:

Sapphire 7850 - really great performance for what it actually costs here where i live

I have NEVER bought a card that cost as much as the gtx 670 does, thats why i think im hesitating. I know that tech moves fast but i want at least to stick with the card im choosing for a year or so. I dont need to max everything out with AA etc to enjoy games, im more a stable FPS guy who rather take solid 60 fps before fancy flashy stuff.

Used unlocked 6950 2GB if possible. I think that will do what you want. Though if prices are funny where you are and the 7950 is not much more... that's a good buy as well.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So I just wanted to check in with a 6 month review of my R3 Fractal case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352002

1. It's quiet as hell and has been great.

2. It's really cool.

3. I just opened it and NOT A SPECK OF DUST has entered the chassis. So awesome. Blew me away.

That is awesome to know. Definitely buying one then. The minimalistic design helps too. I don't like having LEDs everywhere or obnoxious "hardcore" logos on the front. A shame the arctic white version is more expensive than the other ones. Is white expensive or something? :/

Fine. PSU is fine.

Thanks. I can't believe you made the guide and are taking the time to reply to most messages. Huge props to you.

That said (sorry to bother you again), I just remembered a couple of other concerns:
- for the CPU (or any other part) should I go OEM or boxed?
- assuming I ever try to overclock the CPU -- in which case I will obviously buy a CPU fan --, will the PSU I chose be enough still?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
That is awesome to know. Definitely buying one then. The minimalistic design helps too. I don't like having LEDs everywhere or obnoxious "hardcore" logos on the front. A shame the arctic white version is more expensive than the other ones. Is white expensive or something? :/

Thanks. I can't believe you made the guide and are taking the time to reply to most messages. Huge props to you.

That said (sorry to bother you again), I just remembered a couple of other concerns:
- assuming I ever try to overclock the CPU -- in which case I will obviously buy a CPU fan --, will the PSU I chose be enough still?

1. If you buy OEM, it doesn't come with a Heatsink fan, so you would need to buy one or just go boxed. If you were buying say a Hyper 212+ anyway then yeah you can save money going OEM.

2. The PSU should be fine with overclocking the CPU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been rather out of it as of late. A few great people tend to pick up the slack and we sort of cycle in responses.

CPU I would previously say go OEM to save like $5 since you are buying an aftermarket cooler. But, after being one of the super unlucky few who had their CPU die on them... Go for the retail version to get a 3 year warranty if it's just $5 or $10 more. Usually they will often be the same price.

Overclocking a 2500K adds about 35W under regular load circumstances at 1.3V ~4.2Ghz so it's fine.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
1. If you buy OEM, it doesn't come with a Heatsink fan, so you would need to buy one or just go boxed. If you were buying say a Hyper 212+ anyway then yeah you can save money going OEM.

2. The PSU should be fine with overclocking the CPU.

I've been rather out of it as of late. A few great people tend to pick up the slack and we sort of cycle in responses.

CPU I would previously say go OEM to save like $5 since you are buying an aftermarket cooler. But, after being one of the super unlucky few who had their CPU die on them... Go for the retail version to get a 3 year warranty if it's just $5 or $10 more. Usually they will often be the same price.

Overclocking a 2500K adds about 35W under regular load circumstances at 1.3V ~4.2Ghz so it's fine.

Gotcha. Boxed it is then. Hardware is expensive here, so I'm expecting 800€ without an SSD and without W7.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Is the Crucial M4 a good SSD? Does anyone here have one? I notice that it doesn't come with any software tools like the Intel and Samsung SSDs, how do you verify if TRIM is working and optimize performance of SSD and OS without software?
Firstly, yes the M4 is a great SSD, easily on a level with the Samsung 830. As for the lack of a software set, yes, that's a bit of a pain really, although there's loads of guides out there to make sure you get the most out of buying an SSD.

As for TRIM, IIRC Windows will enable it when it realises you're using an SSD, which if it doesn't automatically, it'll realise when you use the Windows Experience Index checker.

metalshade

Seems fine to me.

Swag the WD Green drive for something else. You don't want one of those as an OS drive.

Can you get a VP450, or Biostar mobo to bring down cost a touch?

Swapped my HDD to Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (I just cant afford an SSD for my OS and most used stuff.)
PSU Swapped to OCZ 500W ATX12V / EPS12V (Dont want to gimp myself for future plans too much.)
Mobo swapped to Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 ATX LGA1155 (is this good enough?) Biostar are hard to get hold of where I live it seems.
Case swapped to Xigmatek Asgard II Black/Orange ATX Mid Tower Case
Down to £699 now which is pretty close to target.
If this revised list checks out with you guys, the next hurdle is to convince the wife!

That's how big the reference 670 PCB is, haven't you seen it? All the reference 670 designs have been blower style and used the extra room for the turbine.

no i havent seen it. I have two SLI 470s and they are almost twice as long as these. I would wish mine were this short.

how on earth... graphics cards have consistently gotten bigger and bigger. what the hell happened? how did they stop the evolution?

RS4-

So how can I mix my current AMD gpu (6950) with an old nvidia card (8800GT)? Or should/can I just use on-board video instead?

Just asking because I currently have two 1080p monitors both hooked up via dvi (one dual link, other single) to the 6950. One monitor can take HDMI but that's currently hooked up to the 360/ps3. So that kind of rules out using the HDMI port on both my mobo and GPU.

I want to add one of those Korean branded monitors that need the dual dvi slot and was curious if I can just attach that to my main GPU, then move the spare monitor to the nvidia card or on-board.

Possible? Or should I just man up and buy a dvi to DP adapter instead.

MrBig

So how can I mix my current AMD gpu (6950) with an old nvidia card (8800GT)? Or should/can I just use on-board video instead?

Just asking because I currently have two 1080p monitors both hooked up via dvi (one dual link, other single) to the 6950. One monitor can take HDMI but that's currently hooked up to the 360/ps3. So that kind of rules out using the HDMI port on both my mobo and GPU.

I want to add one of those Korean branded monitors that need the dual dvi slot and was curious if I can just attach that to my main GPU, then move the spare monitor to the nvidia card or on-board.

Possible? Or should I just man up and buy a dvi to DP adapter instead.

You can use the iGPU. I currently have my Crossover (DL DVI D) and my TV (HDMI) on my 670, and a secondary VGA monitor on my iGPU because why buy an adapter when this works fine. Just enable multiple display iGPU settings in the bios.

legacyzero

Banned
Ghaa!,

I know that feel, bro!

I'm trying to keep my cost down around $400 for a card. Cant seem to understand what the best one is for around that price.

Ocho

I see people are mostly getting the i5 2500k. What's the difference between 2500k and 3570k? One is second gen and other third? Which one is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom