• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNvid02

Some have 14 or 30 day return. The monitors all come with 1 year factory warranty. The problem is the cost to send it back to the seller.

thats the good thing about dell and its 3 year business warranty

i think its for their premium monitors only, but they will come and collect the faulty one the next day and deliver a replacement at the same time.

its pretty good to have something like that a few years down the line

Edgeward

Got another possibly silly question

909aY.jpg

Should I be removing this plastic? I'm not putting any additional fans so I'm not sure if keeping the plastic on or if opening that side vent is better for my system.

So, I spent some time looking at the Intel side of things last night and I'm looking at these;

Mother Board - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131831

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

And I found another PSU that's 750 instead of 700 for $5 less - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

to go with the stuff I already had in my list;

Video card which I already own - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150550

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231488

HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

I have some questions about these Intel CPUs though.

What's this Intel HD Graphics stuff? CPU integrated video? Is that why their Mother Boards have HDMI out?

Will this GPU be disabled like Mother Board integrated video when I put in my video card?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know this is the build a PC thread but is there another thread that handles general computer issues?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39178209&postcount=12873

If I can't find out what's wrong I might HAVE to build another PC.
First line in the OP.
For the cpu guy, definitely go with the 2500k

I recently bought one and Im running it at 4,3 ghz on stock cooler. Best purchase ever
I'd wager 4.0 on stock cooler to be more average.
GAF this a good case?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37153/Reviews

Also Crucial M4 256 gig for $205 after price match (Canadian here so my retailers are limited)
Fine. And nice deal.
thats the good thing about dell and its 3 year business warranty

i think its for their premium monitors only, but they will come and collect the faulty one the next day and deliver a replacement at the same time.

its pretty good to have something like that a few years down the line
It's also why the monitor costs $900 vs $450. :(
Got another possibly silly question

Should I be removing this plastic? I'm not putting any additional fans so I'm not sure if keeping the plastic on or if opening that side vent is better for my system.
Remove
So, I spent some time looking at the Intel side of things last night and I'm looking at these;

Mother Board - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131831

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

And I found another PSU that's 750 instead of 700 for $5 less - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

to go with the stuff I already had in my list;

Video card which I already own - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150550

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231488

HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

I have some questions about these Intel CPUs though.

What's this Intel HD Graphics stuff? CPU integrated video? Is that why their Mother Boards have HDMI out?

Will this GPU be disabled like Mother Board integrated video when I put in my video card?
Get the Samsung 1TB instead.
Get 2x4GB RAM instead. Low profile better (like in OP)
Get a Z77 or Z68 or P67 motherboard so you can overclock.

All Intel SB/IB CPU's come with integrated GPU. Some Z68 boards can run both GPUs at the same time, but yes, your main GPU will be doing the horsepower. The integrated is mainly for lower end systems and good for troubleshooting.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
alright, so overclocking. i know nothing about it.

yNVJI.png

can someone give me a brief overview of what these knobs are and how best to twiddle them.

ive saved a profile of the current settings incase i do anything horribly wrong.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BLCK should be locked at 100.0Mhz
CPU Voltage should be at 1.25V to start
DDR Voltage should be 1.50V (Check your memory modules)

From there work your way up using turbo, testing 4.1GHz (41x multi), and running Prime95 or other loading program.

I'm OC'ing my 2600K now atm.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
BLCK should be locked at 100.0Mhz
CPU Voltage should be at 1.25V to start
DDR Voltage should be 1.50V (Check your memory modules)

From there work your way up using turbo, testing 4.1GHz (41x multi), and running Prime95 or other loading program.

I'm OC'ing my 2600K now atm.

hmm, when i apply those changes, the bclk frequency one just goes right back to the old settings..

and also sometimes cpu frequency jumps up to 4.1ghz before switching back to 1.6

i assume that 41.0 bar on the bottom is the multiplier? so is it already on x41 in that picture?

screenshot to random jump to 4.1ghz and reset bclk:
UEHft.png

Get the Samsung 1TB instead.
Get 2x4GB RAM instead. Low profile better (like in OP)
Get a Z77 or Z68 or P67 motherboard so you can overclock.

All Intel SB/IB CPU's come with integrated GPU. Some Z68 boards can run both GPUs at the same time, but yes, your main GPU will be doing the horsepower. The integrated is mainly for lower end systems and good for troubleshooting.

So, would a CPU with the same specs except with Intel HD Graphics 2500 instead of IHDG 4000 perform the same in a PC with a video card in it already?

If so, should I go with this instead?

RedSwirl

So right now I think my plan is to basically buy one of the systems here, slam an HD6850 (and an appropriate PSU) into it, and then upgrade to a higher end GPU next year. I'm planning for an HTPC that will get me through the next couple years of PC gaming.

My Current System:
CPU: Q6600
GPU: HD6850
RAM: 3GB

What I Want The Base System to Include:
CPU: Some kind of i5 (would an i7 stay relevant longer?)
RAM: 8GB (what real advantage would I get with 16?)
HDD: 1-2TB
Disc Drives
Bluetooth

What I'd Like to Find Separately:
GPU: HD6850 or GTX 460 1GB
Appropriate PSU
Bluetooth Mouse & Keyboard
Wi-Fi adapter.

Total Budget: $1500 (under $1000 if possible)
Timeframe: Sometime between August and the end of the year.
Since this will be a gaming HTPC, I don't think I'll need a monitor.

Last Questions: I know this won't get me a massive performance advantage now since I'll be using the same GPU, but when I step up the GPU next year (let's say a hypothetical "8850" for the sake of argument, hopefully to coincide with next gen), what's that gonna do for high-end games like Crysis 2 DX11 and TW2?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, if you just look at at 8150 benches and add 20% for hypothetical Piledriver clock/IPC increases (which might even be a little conservative) you get some pretty good benchmarks. To the point it might be schooling Ivy Bridge in quite a few benches which is kind of shocking.

However, those benches arent games. From what I can tell, in gaming, BD+20% will only finally put it clearly past AMD's last gen, and it will start creeping up on Intel's low end quad core's like the i5-2400. Hey, it' a start I guess.

I continue to think, if games start using more threads, as you'd think they would in the future, BD/PD could start to do a lot better in gaming. That's kind of not something to count on today though.
In multi-threaded stuff, the 2600K is still way better. In the few multi-threaded benches where the 8150 can pull somewhat close, it's still ahead. Not to mention, when you overclock the respective processors, Bulldozer tends to Bulldoze power supplies. Now they've officially bowed out of the speed race, saying that there is plenty of CPU overhead for what anyone would need. I think, as we move to more n-threaded gaming and applications, we might see that overhead they're speaking of. But thats years away, and we don't even know what Haswell is really about yet.
Boxed pre-built
Why? If you want something like that, then just get an Alienware X51.
I'm looking for a cheaper mobo that has the same back panel configuration as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645

Basically, I want the S/PDIF port separate from the analog audio ports. There is a cheaper asrock mobo that I was looking at but for some weird ass reason, they replace one of the analog audio ports with the S/PDIF port.
I ask as an audiophile neophyte, what benefit does that serve?

So right now I think my plan is to basically buy one of the systems here, slam an HD6850 (and an appropriate PSU) into it, and then upgrade to a higher end GPU next year. I'm planning for an HTPC that will get me through the next couple years of PC gaming.

My Current System:
CPU: Q6600
GPU: HD6850
RAM: 3GB

What I Want The Base System to Include:
CPU: Some kind of i5 (would an i7 stay relevant longer?)
RAM: 8GB (what real advantage would I get with 16?)
HDD: 1-2TB
Disc Drives
Bluetooth

What I'd Like to Find Separately:
GPU: HD6850 or GTX 460 1GB
Appropriate PSU
Bluetooth Mouse & Keyboard
Wi-Fi adapter.

Total Budget: $1500 (under $1000 if possible)
Timeframe: Sometime between August and the end of the year.
Since this will be a gaming HTPC, I don't think I'll need a monitor.

Last Questions: I know this won't get me a massive performance advantage now since I'll be using the same GPU, but when I step up the GPU next year (let's say a hypothetical "8850" for the sake of argument, hopefully to coincide with next gen), what's that gonna do for high-end games like Crysis 2 DX11 and TW2?

For 1500 you could build yourself a a really kick ass computer, find a nice sleek looking case and put it by your TV. That would be my suggestion over buying an Alienware or some other small form type. You will be able to afford a much better card than you're thinking at your price range, especially if you're not looking to build until end of August-December. Who knows where prices will be by then, other than provably lower.

You'll really just have to check back in with us when you're really ready to build. But, you'll be getting an awesome rig if you gather up $1000-1500.

RedSwirl

For 1500 you could build yourself a a really kick ass computer, find a nice sleek looking case and put it by your TV. That would be my suggestion over buying an Alienware or some other small form type. You will be able to afford a much better card than you're thinking at your price range, especially if you're not looking to build until end of August-December. Who knows where prices will be by then, other than provably lower.

You'll really just have to check back in with us when you're really ready to build. But, you'll be getting an awesome rig if you gather up $1000-1500.

Not really sure I wanna go through with building yet though. This right here is kind of a half-step - getting some parts pre-installed, some separate. So far the only harware-related things I've done are install a GPU, HDD, and PSU. I know literally jack-shit about motherboards. Right now I'm just trying to see what options are out there.

Not really sure I wanna go through with building yet though. This right here is kind of a half-step - getting some parts pre-installed, some separate. So far the only harware-related things I've done are install a GPU, HDD, and PSU. I know literally jack-shit about motherboards. Right now I'm just trying to see what options are out there.

Your best bet is to find a friend or maybe someone on Gaf who lives near you to guide you.

The CPU is really the only thing that is scary your first time. Your odds of damaging anything else are pretty low. Most things won't fit incorrectly. Everything is clearly labeled on motherboards, though terminology may differ a tiny bit between the case and board, but that's what we're here for. You just kind of plug one thing in at a time, and after a while you have a computer.

You have a good price range though for a kick ass computer. You should be able to pull of a 2500k, 8 gigs, and maybe a 670 for 1,200. And that beast will last you years.

EDIT: Your original plan will work fine as well, but you'll probably end up paying a little more for a little less.

mkenyon

Banned
That's fine for this system. I just need some suggestions on good rigs at Newegg or Amazon that I can upgrade over time.
If there's any chance you are Pac NW, I'll walk you through it. Hell, I will over Skype too if you want.

It's so easy. Seriously.

Don't half ass it. Either go crazy into the prebuilt with the X51, or build one yourself. Otherwise you are throwing away money, potential, and a wealth of information that will arm you with the ability to get even more for your money later on.

RedSwirl

If there's any chance you are Pac NW, I'll walk you through it. Hell, I will over Skype too if you want.

It's so easy. Seriously.

Don't half ass it. Either go crazy into the prebuilt with the X51, or build one yourself. Otherwise you are throwing away money, potential, and a wealth of information that will arm you with the ability to get even more for your money later on.

Nope, and I don't think I know anyone nearby who's built or even done as much as I have with hardware. Honestly I'm not sure if I have the time to figure it all out right now.

RedSwirl

Also, I'd go with the X51 if I was sure I wouldn't have any difficulties upgrading it down the line. Everything looks pretty tightly packed in there.

Edit: say I WAS going to go with my original plan. I'd still want some pre-build suggestions in case I decide to change my mind or not.

Also, I'd go with the X51 if I was sure I wouldn't have any difficulties upgrading it down the line. Everything looks pretty tightly packed in there.

Edit: say I WAS going to go with my original plan. I'd still want some pre-build suggestions in case I decide to change my mind or not.

Anything with a 2500k, 8 gigs of ram or room for expansion, a case you like, and a good power supply.

You could have problems upgrading the graphics card in an X51 due to the power supply.

RedSwirl

Anything with a 2500k, 8 gigs of ram or room for expansion, a case you like, and a good power supply.

You could have problems upgrading the graphics card in an X51 due to the power supply.

Yeah I heard about that. What would you consider "good" for a power supply on that system that has to host an HD6850? With my current setup I had to upgrade to a 500w PSU. How would 600 sound?

cametall

Nope, and I don't think I know anyone nearby who's built or even done as much as I have with hardware. Honestly I'm not sure if I have the time to figure it all out right now.

You could always look at smaller "boutique" type companies. The biggest boutique I know of being IBuyPower, but they're hit or miss I hear. I myself went with Ironside Computers recently.

Just make sure you know exactly what you want in a PC. I've heard of IBuyPower building PCs with incompatible parts. I worked closely and harassed the hell out of Ironside Computers while deciding on what parts I wanted in mine (they're located in Las Vegas).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FS: ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0 Motherboard (Fixed ports)
Looking for $100 shipped to US

jZPq7.jpg

Yeah I heard about that. What would you consider "good" for a power supply on that system that has to host an HD6850? With my current setup I had to upgrade to a 500w PSU. How would 600 sound?
You really should just put it yourself. Watch the 20 minute video in the OP.

A good 500W will be enough for single cards. I'd rec the BP550. It's decent and modular at a good price.

You really should just put it yourself. Watch the 20 minute video in the OP.

A good 500W will be enough for single cards. I'd rec the BP550. It's decent and modular at a good price.

This. I really don't know much about power supplies, but I would think 500 would be enough for just about any single card setup.

Also, just so we're clear, I believe you are unable to upgrade the PSU in the X51. Someone else will have to confirm that, though,

IMO the Corsair because I'm pretty sure their PSUs are just rebranded SeaSonic units and those units are fantastic.

Corsair rebrands many manufacturers. I have a TX950 in my gaming box and it's a solid PSU which doesn't even seem vaguely challenged by my Core i7-950 @ 4.0ghz and OCed GTX 470 SLI, but it's made by Channel Well not Seasonic.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Topped out my Gigabyte GTX 670 OC. Very happy with it. 31% OC is pretty outstanding.

Stock: 980Mhz Boost / 6008Mhz Memory
Mine: 1308Mhz Boost / 7900Mhz Memory

See more here.
Still have to clock the CPU and poke at the RAM.
For a machine used for gaming and video playback would there be a big difference between having an i7-3770 over a i5-2320?
Not much at all.
Corsair rebrands many manufacturers. I have a TX950 in my gaming box and it's a solid PSU which doesn't even seem vaguely challenged by my Core i7-950 @ 4.0ghz and OCed GTX 470 SLI, but it's made by Channel Well not Seasonic.
Correct.

TMK the v2 series (of 5/6/750) PSUs are Seasonic, good, but lower quality.

The older revisions of those were made by CWT (like yours). The HX and AX are more parallel to the Seasonics. HX being the MII/SII and AX being the X series.

Noaloha

Gonna be building over a period of two or three months and opting for higher end components rather than the initial plan of getting mid-range parts all in one go.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the big money parts this month and, whilst I'm pretty sure they're okay, can someone just confirm that the motherboard and GPU will play nicely with each other?

Asus Sabertooth Z77
Asus 7970 HD (925 MHz)
I plan on getting the i5 3570K this month also.

Following pay-cheques will fund likely a Fractal Arc Midi, 650W PSU and a CPU cooler (Arctic i30? 212+?) plus the usual other gubbins.

Again, I'm pretty sure the mobo and videocard are compatible, but I want to make extra certain that I'm not missing anything (first time building and all), plus I'm aware that the Asus HD 7970 is a massive bastard in terms of size (takes up three slots' worth of space I think?).

Anything I should be aware of / consider before dropping the cash on these three?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gonna be building over a period of two or three months and opting for higher end components rather than the initial plan of getting mid-range parts all in one go.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the big money parts this month and, whilst I'm pretty sure they're okay, can someone just confirm that the motherboard and GPU will play nicely with each other?

Asus Sabertooth Z77
Asus 7970 HD (925 MHz)
I plan on getting the i5 3570K this month also.

Following pay-cheques will fund likely a Fractal Arc Midi, 650W PSU and a CPU cooler (Arctic i30? 212+?) plus the usual other gubbins.

Again, I'm pretty sure the mobo and videocard are compatible, but I want to make extra certain that I'm not missing anything (first time building and all), plus I'm aware that the Asus HD 7970 is a massive bastard in terms of size (takes up three slots' worth of space I think?).

Anything I should be aware of / consider before dropping the cash on these three?
Sure will.
Reasons for the 7970 over 670 or 7950? Just asking.

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-a...press-3-0-hdmi-top-oc-7Z52.html?q=7950&src=16
http://www.dabs.com/products/gigaby...ess-3-0-hdmi-overclock-82X8.html?q=670&src=16
http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-g...b-pci-express-3-0-hdmi-82XG.html?q=670&src=16

Samyy

So I have 2 free months and around 600 dollars, I really wanna learn how to build a pc. Could I get a decent computer for that much?

Graafke

I'm going to do my first PC build and have a couple of questions regarding the parts I've picked.

My setup looks like this at the moment:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3
CPU: Core™ i7-3770K
GPU: Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5
RAM: Corsair Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit (Light-Retail, CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B, Vengeance Blue, XMP)
PSU: Corsair Corsair TX750M
SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD1 128GB
HDD: Western Digital WD2002FAEX
Case: Fractal Design R3 Titanium Grey 
Monitor: Dell U2312HM

1) Can I use this motherboard for dual SLI with another GTX 670 in the future? I'm not entirely certain that it fits multiple GPU's even though it has multiple PCIe 16x slots.

2) Should I go with an Ivy Bridge processor or does a Sandy bridge CPU give the best value-perfomance?

3) Does the RAM I've chosen work with the motherboard? I looked up the Qualified Vendor List, but this RAM configuration was not listed.

4) Is the PSU powerful enough if I want to do dual SLI?

5) Does anyone have experience with the Dell monitor? I'm planning to use the PC for both gaming and image editing so I'd like to have an IPS panel. How does it work for gaming?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm going to do my first PC build and have a couple of questions regarding the parts I've picked.

My setup looks like this at the moment:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3
CPU: Core™ i7-3770K
GPU: Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5
RAM: Corsair Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit (Light-Retail, CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B, Vengeance Blue, XMP)
PSU: Corsair Corsair TX750M
SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD1 128GB
HDD: Western Digital WD2002FAEX
Case: Fractal Design R3 Titanium Grey 
Monitor: Dell U2312HM

1) Can I use this motherboard for dual SLI with another GTX 670 in the future? I'm not entirely certain that it fits multiple GPU's even though it has multiple PCIe 16x slots.

2) Should I go with an Ivy Bridge processor or does a Sandy bridge CPU give the best value-perfomance?

3) Does the RAM I've chosen work with the motherboard? I looked up the Qualified Vendor List, but this RAM configuration was not listed.

4) Is the PSU powerful enough if I want to do dual SLI?

5) Does anyone have experience with the Dell monitor? I'm planning to use the PC for both gaming and image editing so I'd like to have an IPS panel. How does it work for gaming?
1) Yes, but should be looking at Z77 boards now unless you are getting that cheaper.
2) About the same, so just go with Ivy
3) Get the RAM from the OP. Low Profile is good.
4) Yes, 670's sip power. Upgrading to hx750 would be not bad though.
5) Don't have gaming experience on em, but it should be fine for most.

_Isaac

So I take it it's a good idea to install anti-virus and anti-spyware software. What are good free ones to recommend. I'm using MSE for anti-virus, and my friend recommended Spybot Search and Destroy for anti-spyware, but what do you guys recommend. I hear Malwarebytes is a good one.

MrBig

So I take it it's a good idea to install anti-virus and anti-spyware software. What are good free ones to recommend. I'm using MSE for anti-virus, and my friend recommended Spybot Search and Destroy for anti-spyware, but what do you guys recommend. I hear Malwarebytes is a good one.

MSE with on demand scanning only. Don't let anything else touch your computer. Don't go to stupid internet holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom