• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I take it it's a good idea to install anti-virus and anti-spyware software. What are good free ones to recommend. I'm using MSE for anti-virus, and my friend recommended Spybot Search and Destroy for anti-spyware, but what do you guys recommend. I hear Malwarebytes is a good one.
I run MSE.
Use CCleaner and MBAM every so often.

Graafke

1) Yes, but should be looking at Z77 boards now unless you are getting that cheaper.
2) About the same, so just go with Ivy
3) Get the RAM from the OP. Low Profile is good.
4) Yes, 670's sip power. Upgrading to hx750 would be not bad though.
5) Don't have gaming experience on em, but it should be fine for most.

Thanks for your input Hazaro.

I can get a Z77 board for about the same price. Are there any big advantages over the Z68 board?

Also, what is the advantage of an HX750 PSU compared to the PSU I've selected?

I can chime in on the Dell monitor, I've two of their IPS ones at home and two of their TN ones and they're all fine for gaming.

Thanks for your input! Dell it is :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks for your input Hazaro.

I can get a Z77 board for about the same price. Are there any big advantages over the Z68 board?

Also, what is the advantage of an HX750 PSU compared to the PSU I've selected?
Able to use onboard video at the same time, some sync stuff. It's newer. Should have out of box support for Ivy.

Better quality, more power efficient.

Samyy

Do you guys think the DIY Newegg bundles are worth it? Looks pretty decent for what I want anyway, but I really have no idea on any of this :p

mkenyon

Banned
5) Does anyone have experience with the Dell monitor? I'm planning to use the PC for both gaming and image editing so I'd like to have an IPS panel. How does it work for gaming?
In case you're still looking at the thread, that monitor actually has the lowest input lag out of any monitor made. It's a real 2ms, which is above and beyond even the snappiest of 120hz TN panels. It's pretty much the bee's knees.
Do you guys think the DIY Newegg bundles are worth it? Looks pretty decent for what I want anyway, but I really have no idea on any of this :p
That's why there's an OP!

Noaloha

Ha, I didn't think that my post actually worked since the forums were dying right around me submitting that. Thanks for the response.

Reason for 7970 is.. well, playing a lot of stuff by ear I guess based on jumping around tech reviews and stuff. If I'm spending that much I'd rather hit something which'll be as future-proof (or rather, long-lasting) as possible, whilst also weighing performance with incremental cost bumps -- like, the two 670s you linked to are twenty and thirty quid cheaper than the 7970, and I can sorta stomach paying an extra £30 if (as I understand it) the 7970 is newer tech with better scores across graphical potency, consumption, features. That said, you linked the 7950 (already OCed?) which is a full £60 cheaper... which is creeping into the £-saving which gives me pause for thought!

Again, I'm working largely on the presumption that newer = longer relevance as a gaming enabler, coupled with hearing largely positive stuff about the 7970. If you can argue that the differences between the 7970 and the 670s and the 7950 are actually much more granular and I'd effectively be paying an extra £20-60 on nothing more than some single-digit increases in a few FPS comparisons, etc (as opposed to any major benefits that the 7970 might offer), then I'm open to suggestions!

The card as it is will be overkill on my current set-up of 1680x1050 (as will the others mentioned). But a year or so down the line I want to have the option of hooking up more monitors at better resolutions and frequencies. So I'm looking for a card that won't demand an upgrade as well as one that sits at the same sort of level as the motherboard.

Graafke

Able to use onboard video at the same time, some sync stuff. It's newer. Should have out of box support for Ivy.

Better quality, more power efficient.

Thanks for your help! I went with your suggestions. The price difference was minimal so I'm pretty sure the extra features are worth it. I decided to go with the P8Z77-V PRO. This board also has WiFi-support. That means I don't have to use a separate network adapter.

In case you're still looking at the thread, that monitor actually has the lowest input lag out of any monitor made. It's a real 2ms, which is above and beyond even the snappiest of 120hz TN panels. It's pretty much the bee's knees.

Thanks for the input! It sounds like this monitor is perfect for me, both for gaming and image editing.

I'm going to do my first PC build and have a couple of questions regarding the parts I've picked.

Right this is my set-up as it stands:

Parts that I am buying new:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155 with a Thermalright HR-02 Macho CPU Fan
GPU: ASUS GTX670-DC2T-2GD5, GeForce GTX 670, 2048MB DDR5
RAM: 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9
SSD: Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s

Parts that I already have:
PSU: ENERMAX INFINITI EIN650AWT 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS
Case:Kandalf Full Tower Case Series- Black w/ Side Panel Window
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 245B 24in Monitor
Keyboard/Mouse: G15/Razorback

(1) Pretty sure il be able to SLI two GTX670s on this mobo, but just to confirm.
(2) Will my current PSU be able to hold up to SLI or should i get a new one?
(3) Any other tips suggestions would be welcome.

God damn gaf stop that guru from meditating leading to me fucking pent-posting

Sorry guys.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I received my 670 GTX the other day, it's just a wee bit better than my 260 GTX. Hopefully I'm set for a few years.

mkenyon

Banned
(1) Pretty sure il be able to SLI two GTX670s on this mobo, but just to confirm.
(2) Will my current PSU be able to hold up to SLI or should i get a new one?
(3) Any other tips suggestions would be welcome.

God damn gaf stop that guru from meditating leading to me fucking pent-posting

Sorry guys.
1. Yes.
2. Yes, but it's cutting it too close for my liking. If it were a Seasonic X/Corsair AX, I'd say don't worry about it.
3. Looks rockin.
I received my 670 GTX the other day, it's just a wee bit better than my 260 GTX. Hopefully I'm set for a few years.
Facetious?
I need a 560ti, someone?
As in, you're hoping someone can sell you one?

Lol, my video card just died on my 2nd computer. Worst thing was, I was playing quake live when it happened. I guess I should have limited the fps or something, lol.
Going to fry's to pick up something super cheap.

Alacrity

Neo Member
I have a system with an i7 930 at stock 2.8ghz, is it worth it to upgrade to Ivy Bridge? or just wait for the next tock?

Is this cpu a big bottleneck for the gtx 580?

Edit: mostly use it for gaming, at 1920 x 1080 120 hz

kharma45

I have a system with an i7 930 at stock 2.8ghz, is it worth it to upgrade to Ivy Bridge? or just wait for the next tock?

Is this cpu a big bottleneck for the gtx 580?

Edit: mostly use it for gaming, at 1920 x 1080 120 hz

I'd just get a decent cooler and OC your i7 and wait to see what Haswell brings.

Tess3ract

Banned
How big of a bottleneck is my Phenom ii x4 at 3.6ghz, if I'm pushing a 670 at 720p?
Probably not much. I have a phenom II x3 720 @ 3.5ghz and even with a 4890 I can max out witcher 2 with ubersampling on at 720p

If I went to 1200p then that's totally different, it just doesn't have the muscle anymore and at that point your cpu would be the bottleneck

Any price drops coming for AMD GPUs that anyone knows of? Looking at the 7850, but it would be great if some kind of price drop happened in the next month or so.

I've heard that there are usually 4th of July sales, so I might make my move then.

mkenyon

Banned
Lower resolutions and graphics settings will increase the CPU bottleneck, as it reduces the GPU load. Smaller differences become larger at that point.

Also, I call shenanigans at maxing Witcher 2 with ubersampling on an AMD. That game cripples 3930Ks.

MrBig

Lower resolutions and graphics settings will increase the CPU bottleneck, as it reduces the GPU load. Smaller differences become larger at that point.

Also, I call shenanigans at maxing Witcher 2 with ubersampling on an AMD. That game cripples 3930Ks.

There are some who consider 30fps at the highest settings maxing it out. Nope.

mkenyon

Banned
Ha I'm in the same boat. Looking through those guides was intimidating.
It is, just get in there and do it. If you are in BIOS as you are reading it and going step by step, it'll all start to make sense when you actually fiddle with stuff.

Step 1 is losing the fear that you're going to break something. The safety features built into modern systems will either A) warn you before you do something bad, or B) shut off before that bad thing fries a part.

Madridy

So I finally found competent stores that sell cases other than ThermalTake in my country. I bought the SilverStone TJ08-E, but now I kinda regret pulling the trigger on it too fast.

Any Impressions on the Corsair 550D guys? How quiet is it? Is the thermal good enough If I don't want to remove the side or top panels and install extra fans?

Thinking about 2x 120mm front intake + 140mm bottom intake, and a 140mm back exhaust setup for positive pressure.

I like the minimalist looks of it, reminds me of my Antec P182 which I loved. Also quiet cases is a huge plus for me, I'm thinking of replacing the case stock fans with the new Corsair AF quiet fans series.

My Work-in-Progress build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 560W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)
Total: $1813.53 Don't mind the price

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What are good solutions for wireless on a desktop? I bought a TRENDnet N150 and it's garbage. Sometimes I get decent speeds but other times it almost doesn't even work, and my laptop is always much faster despite being in the same room.

What is a good solution? My laptop speeds are very good, and currently I've hooked up my laptop to me PC for a bridge connection and it works soooo much better (more than 2x the speed). Are PCI wireless cards a huge step ahead of USB? What's a good one to buy? I look at nearly all the PCI cards on Newegg and there seem to be at least a handful of people reporting really bad signals like I experienced with my USB adapter.

Anyone have good experience with a particular card? Why is my laptop so much better? :p

leroidys

Maybe someone here would be able to help me with this:

Lately when I've been playing TF2, the game will completely freeze. As in, the screen will freeze and nothing short of hitting the power button on my tower will do anything. Sometimes a second of sound from the moment it freezes will loop over and over, but not always. It can happen after I've been playing for two minutes, or 200, but it seems to be increasingly common.

It also happened once to me while playing Red Orchestra 2 during the free weekend.

It seems to me to probably be a driver issue, but I really have no clue.

mkenyon

Banned
Maybe someone here would be able to help me with this:

Lately when I've been playing TF2, the game will completely freeze. As in, the screen will freeze and nothing short of hitting the power button on my tower will do anything. Sometimes a second of sound from the moment it freezes will loop over and over, but not always. It can happen after I've been playing for two minutes, or 200, but it seems to be increasingly common.

It also happened once to me while playing Red Orchestra 2 during the free weekend.

It seems to me to probably be a driver issue, but I really have no clue.
Hardware failures generally result in blue screens.

Is a reformat too much to handle? Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Otherwise, you could roll back and forward your various drivers.

leroidys

Hardware failures generally result in blue screens.

Is a reformat too much to handle? Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Otherwise, you could roll back and forward your various drivers.

Uh oh, I was just playing TF2 after uninstalling it and installing it again...

and my computer shut down without warning while playing it. I'm guessing this is a bad sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom