• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a hard drive/Windows question in two parts.

1. I'm upgrading a X4 635/5770 system to an 8120FX/6950 system, and moving those parts to a system that was a X25000+/9600GT sli system. The hard drives are staying in their original systems, do I NEED to reinstall windows as long as I wipe the graphics drivers? I always have but I'm not sure if it's required.

2. If I do need to do that, I need a fresh partition to install Windows on. Is it possible to make a 12-ish gb partition, install windows, and then merge the partition with my stuff on it and the windows one without losing anything? I couldn't get windows to do this on a system previously and ended up accidentally wiping the entire drive, so if there's a guide for this I'd love to see it.

Thanks for any help in advance!
1. If there's a new motherboard, definitely yes.

2. I don't think so. Unless you mean just data, applications do a lot in the registry that will be lost.

Jhriad

Can anyone tell me if the Corsair HX620w would be okay for the 'Excellent' build in the OP w/ a GTX 670 instead of the 560? I've got the power supply sitting in an older system and I was hoping to save a few buck by using it instead of buying a new psu. Lightning strike is forcing me to do part shopping on my phone.

MrBig

So is BF3 just being dumb or is there something up with my 670?

bf3%202012-06-22%2015-00-17-93.png

This has happened a few times after some amount of time on different maps. I've already reinstalled in case there was some corruption

ag-my001

Very happy with the build I just put together (2500k, 7850, 128GB M4), but I do have two things to comment on. First, I'm a bit mixed on the Corsair 400R case. The amount of space is great, as is the extra space on the sides for cable management. The problem is that the PSU is bottom-mounted, meaning there is no way to connect the 8-pin 12V to the motherboard without going across the video card; the cords for any PSU are simply not long enough to get routed behind the boards. The second issue is with the plastic drive bays. The plastic they are made of is too flexible, so they pop out of their slots easily until you put a HDD in them. This is fine for most things, but a SSD is not one of them. Twice I nearly popped the SSD out of the case when attaching the SATA cables and power. I'm also a bit confused by the lack of a filter for the top fan slots, especially since those fans are optional. If the case were under negative pressure dust would quickly build up.

On a positive note, I'm very happy with the Logitech DiNovo mini keyboard/mouse. Wireless devices usually work to half their stated range for me, so the bluetooth is a nice change. It's a total luxury item, but if you're in the market, it works great for multimedia use or just clicking around on Netflix.

mkenyon

Banned
Very happy with the build I just put together (2500k, 7850, 128GB M4), but I do have two things to comment on. First, I'm a bit mixed on the Corsair 400R case. The amount of space is great, as is the extra space on the sides for cable management. The problem is that the PSU is bottom-mounted, meaning there is no way to connect the 8-pin 12V to the motherboard without going across the video card; the cords for any PSU are simply not long enough to get routed behind the boards. The second issue is with the plastic drive bays. The plastic they are made of is too flexible, so they pop out of their slots easily until you put a HDD in them. This is fine for most things, but a SSD is not one of them. Twice I nearly popped the SSD out of the case when attaching the SATA cables and power. I'm also a bit confused by the lack of a filter for the top fan slots, especially since those fans are optional. If the case were under negative pressure dust would quickly build up.
Regarding issue #1, this is madness. Most PSU's should reach that no problem. Did you mount it so the cables are coming out of the side near the motherboard or vice versa? If you just flip it around, the PSU's with mid length cables shouldn't have a problem.

Agreed on the HDD trays, there's a lot in recent Corsair cases that is sub-standard.

For the top fans, it should be exhaust. There's no reason to put filters on exhaust fans. It just reduces airflow. Filters should be on intake fans only.

Manp

So is BF3 just being dumb or is there something up with my 670?

This has happened a few times after some amount of time on different maps. I've already reinstalled in case there was some corruption

to me it looks a lot like an hw problem.

try downclocking both gpu and video ram and see if it still happens.

Very happy with the build I just put together (2500k, 7850, 128GB M4), but I do have two things to comment on. First, I'm a bit mixed on the Corsair 400R case. The amount of space is great, as is the extra space on the sides for cable management. The problem is that the PSU is bottom-mounted, meaning there is no way to connect the 8-pin 12V to the motherboard without going across the video card; the cords for any PSU are simply not long enough to get routed behind the boards.

as mkenyon said most PSUs should have cables that have no problem reaching the 8 pin 12v connector. either way you could use one of these:

zzh41.jpg

:)

Effect

Thanks again for linking Ninite. That saved me a LOT of hassle and frustration. Installed Windows 7 today and so far things are running great. Start up is a LOT faster since I did a clean install. Had some issues getting Origin working again but that was easy enough to fix. Did a Can You Run It on several of my games and it's extremely satisfyingly to see I'm pass the Recommended line now. Glad to see my 4gb of ram actually show up and be counted. The extra ram didn't arrive yet though. I had expected that to arrive first but the OS arrived a lot quicker. Buying from the 3rd party store in Florida instead of directly from Amazon paid off. Now to give Battlefield 3 a test run.

sk3tch

According to this guide, http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/...anations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers Prime is the better one for SB / SB-E - Just a random heads up Sk3tch :p

But yeah, I don't give much for these stress tests in real-world results. I could prime my 3930k at 4.7 for hours and hours but 30-40 minutes of ArmA 2 and watching a movie? Boom, BSOD.

Thanks for the link. We could probably trade links all day with different opinions on this one. Even in that link - he outlines stability is subjective. Some call it good after 15-20 mins of checking. Some don't. Etc.

Personally, I am going to put more into Intel's tools (LinX a.k.a. Intel Burn Test or the newer version - XTU) versus anything else.

Hyphen

Quick question guys from a total newbie when it comes to builing a PC - Because I'm new to all this, I don't plan on doing any of this 'overclocking' busines. Ever. So, with that in mind, is it worth saving money on getting the i7 3770 [non-k] CPU (or any of the other non-K CPUs), rather than the 3770K?

mkenyon

Banned
Quick question guys from a total newbie when it comes to builing a PC - Because I'm new to all this, I don't plan on doing any of this 'overclocking' busines. Ever. So, with that in mind, is it worth saving money on getting the i7 3770 [non-k] CPU (or any of the other non-K CPUs), rather than the 3770K?
Yes you are. Two values in BIOS, 30% increased linear performance. I'll even walk you through it on Skype/Phone if you want.

Gaming or editing?

*edit*

By the way, I mean that in a friendly manner, in case that came off as authoritarian. In either case, the price difference is so small that it's not worth losing out on the possibility of eventually overclocking it.

I asked about gaming or editing because the i7 doesn't offer any benefits over the i5 right now for games. It might in a year or two, but that's a gamble.

Hyphen

Yes you are. Two values in BIOS, 30% increased linear performance. I'll even walk you through it on Skype/Phone if you want.

Gaming or editing?

I'll be gaming and editing.

Are you saying (when neither is overclocked) the Ks provide better performance over the non-Ks? Or are you saying that I'm better off with the non-Ks since they're cheaper, and offer better performance than the Ks?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm saying the price difference is so insignificant, that you might as well go with the K for *when* you eventually want to overclock. :p

For encoding, you can get 30% faster encoding times.

*edit*

Or look at X79 and a 3820, with sights set on IB-E processors (which will be compatible with X79 motherboards). That's the chipset aimed at editing. That's the route I personally took.

does anyone have a recommendation for an external usb floppy disk drive? have a bunch of old files that I wanna backup onto my laptop. will any random one from ebay work fine?

mkenyon

Banned
does anyone have a recommendation for an external usb floppy disk drive? have a bunch of old files that I wanna backup onto my laptop. will any random one from ebay work fine?
Probably.
Not good. i3 > that stuff, and less expensive. As a former AMD dedicate, it pains me to say such things, but it's true. Follow the OP guide.

Dipswitch

I'm going to be upgrading my entire rig in a few months, but I'm likely gonna grab a high end card early. I'm an ATI user currently (4870 1GB) and I'm torn between getting a 7970 GHZ model, or a GT670/680.

My hang up is the 3GB of VRAM on the 7970 vs the 2GB on the GT670. Given that I intend to use this card until my next rig build out (4+ years most likely), I tend to think the 3GB card is future proofed to a larger degree. That and it seems like ATI is going whole hog with the compute functionality, whereas Nvidia seems to be scaling it back (As I understand it anyway). No idea if compute functionality will actually be of use to me of course - just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Ultimately though, I don't wanna fork out another $100 for an extra gig of memory if it's never gonna get used. Thoughts?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm going to be upgrading my entire rig in a few months, but I'm likely gonna grab a high end card early. I'm an ATI user currently (4870 1GB) and I'm torn between getting a 7970 GHZ model, or a GT670/680.

My hang up is the 3GB of VRAM on the 7970 vs the 2GB on the GT670. Given that I intend to use this card until my next rig build out (4+ years most likely), I tend to think the 3GB card is future proofed to a larger degree. That and it seems like ATI is going whole hog with the compute functionality, whereas Nvidia seems to be scaling it back (As I understand it anyway). No idea if compute functionality will actually be of use to me of course - just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Ultimately though, I don't wanna fork out another $100 for an extra gig of memory if it's never gonna get used. Thoughts?
Don't get the Ghz edition, it's literally the same card as the non-ghz edition with a few sliders moved up.

If its 7970 vs 670, 7970 no question at all. 7970 performs right on par with the 680.

As far as 2GB vs. 3GB of VRAM, anyone trying to give you a firm answer on that is going to be entirely speculation. I can tell you that Skyrim at 1080 with everything set at absolute max, even with the high res texture pack, is at 1.4GB used. That's what I would expect games in two years to be at.

Probably.

Not good. i3 > that stuff, and less expensive. As a former AMD dedicate, it pains me to say such things, but it's true. Follow the OP guide.

Yeah something like an i3-2120 or for the same money an i3-2130 would be a better buy, even a Phenom II X4 would be too.

Aren't those sockets kind of old now? I want something that doesn't require me to buy a new MB to upgrade the CPU in2 or 3 years.

mkenyon

Banned
am3+ would be the best option, doesn't seem like the fx socket is really taking off. Those sandy bridge socket cpu's are still very future proof as well
AM3+ = FX. You're probably thinking of FM1, which are the AXXXX processors.

As per the question about whether or not the sockets are old, there is no such thing as a socket that lives more than two years now. AM3+ is about the same age as Sandybridge. Both the new AMD processors as well as ivybridge's replacement, Haswell, will be on new sockets.

kharma45

AM3+ = FX. You're probably thinking of FM1, which are the AXXXX processors.

As per the question about whether or not the sockets are old, there is no such thing as a socket that lives more than two years now. AM3+ is about the same age as Sandybridge. Both the new AMD processors as well as ivybridge's replacement, Haswell, will be on new sockets.

I thought Piledriver was sticking with AM3+ and it was just Trinity that was getting a new socket?

Don't get the Ghz edition, it's literally the same card as the non-ghz edition with a few sliders moved up.

If its 7970 vs 670, 7970 no question at all. 7970 performs right on par with the 680.

As far as 2GB vs. 3GB of VRAM, anyone trying to give you a firm answer on that is going to be entirely speculation. I can tell you that Skyrim at 1080 with everything set at absolute max, even with the high res texture pack, is at 1.4GB used. That's what I would expect games in two years to be at.

theres one thing i question on that, in two years we'll likely be dealing with next gen consoles and a massive increase in needed system specs imo...

no way to really plan for it, though.

legacyzero

Banned
Ok GAF: I'm Aiming for either a 680 or a 7970 GPU. Currently I'm running a 4890.

My question is, will my build have any trouble with the new GPU based on what I have. Am I going to have to upgrade anything else? Bottleneck trouble, etc?

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX

MOBO:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM:
8GB G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

PSU:
Rosewill BRONZE series RBR750-M 750W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,Active PFC

Ok GAF: I'm Aiming for either a 680 or a 7970 GPU. Currently I'm running a 4890.

My question is, will my built have any trouble with the new GPU based on what I have. Am I going to have to upgrade anything else? Bottleneck trouble, etc?

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX

MOBO:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM:
8GB G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

PSU:
Rosewill BRONZE series RBR750-M 750W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,Active PFC

Definitely should OC your CPU if you can, or get a new one. Everything else you have is good enough.

Dipswitch

theres one thing i question on that, in two years we'll likely be dealing with next gen consoles and a massive increase in needed system specs imo...

no way to really plan for it, though.

Appreciate the feedback. I definitely think I'm leaning towards the 7970 at this point - especially since I'm familiar with the drivers, control panel, etc. And having 3GB of VRAM will give me peace of mind I think. If I were swapping it out in 2 years, I might think otherwise, but I'm gonna be using this card for a good while.

The consensus is that the GHZ edition isn't worth the extra $50 though? Is that because I can achieve the same results overclocking a 3rd party 7970 with a custom cooler?

MrBig

http://i.imgur.com/HJo72.png

This is just chrome with several tabs and not much else. Case is 6 years old, only two 90mm fan slots and they don't do much. Cable management is impossible, you can't pass anything from behind if you plan on putting the back panel back.

Run a stress test like Prime95 or a CPU intensive game. Those temps don't mean much; my 3570k idles in the same range.

e: room temp is 37c???? how do you survive

cametall

So finally got a stable overclock without the vcore being overboard.

4.2Ghz at 1.2v (compared to 4.0Ghz at 1.36v)

Prime95 temps are also down from an initial 80c to 69-70c.

RedSwirl

Before I decide to go out shopping this weekend I'd like to ask once more what I should do for a good high-gain antenna to improve my desktop's wi-fi reception.

Hellish

Posted in pick-up thread but I thought I'd drop a pic here too, I picked up some new fans 8 in the 120mm black and 4 in the 140mm red, final build pics will be up in about 1-2weeks

7423033506_675ed42d90_z.jpg

So lately I've gotten the itch to upgrade my pc again. I'm thinking of getting this to use as a boot drive for my pc. Is this a good ssd? Also I've been doing some googling about my mobo and discovered that the Marvell SATA 6gb/s controller it has apparently doesn't work very well. All of my others are Intel 3gb/s. I have an ASUS P7P55D-E pro mobo. I'm assuming it would work fine if I used a 3gb/s port. Would this work?

Posted in pick-up thread but I thought I'd drop a pic here too, I picked up some new fans 8 in the 120mm black and 4 in the 140mm red, final build pics will be up in about 1-2weeks

7423033506_675ed42d90_z.jpg

Thought I'd never say this about case fans of all things but.....that white on red looks sooooo fucking sexy!

squicken

I do have it OCed a bit. I think the guy that installed it kicked it up to 3.4 IIRC.

If the CPU isn't good enough, what would be recomended for a new AMD option?

The problem you'll run into here is that very few people are running AMD. So not many can give you a good suggestion. But a 955 will hold you back if you pair it with a 680. You will be CPU bound in many games. Might want to head to some of the enthusiast forums and check out what people are doing with AMD builds

legacyzero

Banned
The problem you'll run into here is that very few people are running AMD. So not many can give you a good suggestion. But a 955 will hold you back if you pair it with a 680. You will be CPU bound in many games. Might want to head to some of the enthusiast forums and check out what people are doing with AMD builds
Damn, that's worrying.

I wonder what I should do.. Would a 580 be a better card for the CPU I have?

mkenyon

Banned
Damn, that's worrying.

I wonder what I should do.. Would a 580 be a better card for the CPU I have?
As a guy who spends more time on enthusiast forums than GAF, and as someone that was previously only buying AMD procs for years until last year, let me tell you: there arent new AMD enthusiast builds. Bulldozer performs the same as Phenom IIs, and both are left completely in the dust by Sandy/Ivy. Only way to go that makes any kind of sense. If you dont believe me, go take a gander at any proc review.

feel

Got the S23A950D. 120hz is amazing!! Everything feels so crazy responsive, gaming @ true 120fps is just blissful, heck even moving the mouse pointer around on windows looks great lol :O

Best of all is that the IQ to me doesn't look like it's being sacrificed, colors look beautiful on this monitor to me, everything is crisp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom