• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Got the S23A950D. 120hz is amazing!! Everything feels so crazy responsive, gaming @ true 120fps is just blissful, heck even moving the mouse pointer around on windows looks great lol :O

Best of all is that the IQ to me doesn't look like it's being sacrificed, colors look beautiful on this monitor to me, everything is crisp.
Welcome, brother.

It is quite a nice panel. The thing that always gets me is how smoogh quick animation looks. Total fluid movement.

You will want to calibrate it for sure though.

Hellish

Look a few posts up...

Praise the maker, Noctua have another option other than poo brown!.

I really love the look of Noctua fans myself.

7423040318_0f38505d9d_z.jpg

7423030948_73972ed77a_z.jpg

not noctua

Edgeward

So Im gonna build my pc this friday. Gonna be exciting but i have a quick Q. I know my old hdd should be recognized fine so no need to back it up externally when i transfer to the new hdd. But my old 1tb hdd is actually 2 500 hdds partitioned together. Will it get recognized just fine by the new computer with no issue?

fuuuuuu, I'm trying to access my old hdd but it's telling me I need to reformat first. I'm screwed aren't I? I'm gonna lose all my stuff. ;_;

On my new pc btw. Booted on first try and got it on my ssd. Thanks GAF

abunai

fuuuuuu, I'm trying to access my old hdd but it's telling me I need to reformat first. I'm screwed aren't I? I'm gonna lose all my stuff. ;_;

On my new pc btw. Booted on first try and got it on my ssd. Thanks GAF

Try grabbing a linux distro (ubuntu or whatever) and put it on a USB stick, boot off of it and see if you can access your files that way and copy them somewhere.

mxgt

Banned
For anyone thinking of one of those south korean 1440p monitors: do so at your own risk

here's mine 2 weeks after I got it

20120623_130217b3mf9.jpg

yay. Time to go 120hz instead of resolution.

iNvid02

For anyone thinking of one of those south korean 1440p monitors: do so at your own risk

20120623_130217b3mf9.jpg

i thought you skinned windows
KuGsj.gif

but yeah, for something as important as your monitor there is no point cheaping out - especially if the brand is called yamakasi catleap.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Would I need a monitor upgrade if I'm going to use the 680? My resolution is 1440x900.

if that is the res you game at then no, you do not need a 680. Don't get sucked in the hype of needing the latest and greatest unless you game at 1440p/ 120hz or 3d.

something in the mid range would better suit you.

legacyzero

Banned
As a guy who spends more time on enthusiast forums than GAF, and as someone that was previously only buying AMD procs for years until last year, let me tell you: there arent new AMD enthusiast builds. Bulldozer performs the same as Phenom IIs, and both are left completely in the dust by Sandy/Ivy. Only way to go that makes any kind of sense. If you dont believe me, go take a gander at any proc review.

So any suggestions AMD-wise upgrading from a 955? Like, say going from my quad core to an Eight core like the AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core? Would that even work with my current MOBO?

I would really like to avoid having to get another MOBO just to change to intel :/

But If I had no other choice, what kind of combo would you suggest for a new MOBO/CPU that is great, yet isn't going to break the bank?

I would love to have an enthusiast opinion, mainly because I'm still learning all this stuff. It's great knowledge for me as I'm leaving consoles and probably going PC only.

Stick with the 955? Outside of benchmarks or VERY high-end GPU setups(3 and up) most people aren't going to notice the difference between Intel and AMD outside of a few games or unless you play with low settings. 3.5-4Ghz should be enough.

legacyzero

Banned
Stick with the 955? Outside of benchmarks or VERY high-end GPU setups(3 and up) most people aren't going to notice the difference between Intel and AMD outside of a few games or unless you play with low settings. 3.5-4Ghz should be enough.
Yeah, I only plan on using one 670 or 680. Hell, even if a simple 580 would do me just fine, I might even go with that.

If I can simply run BF3, Crysis 2, and Metro 2033 AT FULL with no hiccups, and at 60FPS and beyond. And of course, I want to be ready for Metro Last Light.

If I can have a PC ready for that, I'll be golden. I dont plan on SLI/Crossfire at all, at least until further down the road :)

iNvid02

Anyone in the UK heard of IT Buy?

http://www.it-buy.co.uk/Harddisk_drives/External_Hard_Drives/Solid_State_HDs/MTFDDAC256MAM-1K1.htm

They're doing a Micron C400 256GB 2.5" SSD for £114 delivered, very tempted by it. It is essentially a Crucial M4 with a different name.

never heard of them, but according to whois they are owned by silverstar components

http://silverstarcomponents.co.uk/

everything looks quite amateur, combined with the massive discount i wouldnt buy from them

but i could be wrong, if you do decide to use them make sure you use your credit card so you have some protection at least

n0n44m

I just received a second Samsung 830 256 GB for some RAID-0 fun (had one already for a week but hadn't used it yet due to new build taking a bit longer, couldn't resist the temporary €50 price drop on this one though so I got a second :D )

so I open the box, slide out the contents, then the SSD drops on the carpet & bounces away :')

couldn't find it for about a minute lol ... I'll quickly test it now then tear down my current setup and rebuild everything in the next couple of days :)

edit: it's still alive ;)

kharma45

never heard of them, but according to whois they are owned by silverstar components

http://silverstarcomponents.co.uk/

everything looks quite amateur, combined with the massive discount i wouldnt buy from them

but i could be wrong, if you do decide to use them make sure you use your credit card so you have some protection at least

Found some reviews of them on Amazon etc. and they're rated highly, OOS now anyway.

Shall keep an eye on the HUKD thread to see what happens to the people who went for it.

mkenyon

Banned
So any suggestions AMD-wise upgrading from a 955? Like, say going from my quad core to an Eight core like the AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core? Would that even work with my current MOBO?

I would really like to avoid having to get another MOBO just to change to intel :/

But If I had no other choice, what kind of combo would you suggest for a new MOBO/CPU that is great, yet isn't going to break the bank?

I would love to have an enthusiast opinion, mainly because I'm still learning all this stuff. It's great knowledge for me as I'm leaving consoles and probably going PC only.
There's no performance gain from the 955 to the 8150 in games. It sucks, I know.

Intel is the way to go. Mobo + RAM + Proc from the OP. You can find used 2500K's fairly easily and for fairly cheap if it is price that is holding you back.

You're crazy, or just saying this because you want it to be true. The following pictures have just about every setting maxed to heavily place the emphasis on GPU bottleneck. Every system has a single 7970, which is right there with a single 670/680 to give you an idea of the performance he will be missing out on.

From 30FPS to 50FPS in Skyrim

Skyrim.png

From 38FPS to 60FPS in SC2

StarCraftII.png

From 49 to 60.2 in Metro

Metro2033.png

Ty4on

Yeah, I only plan on using one 670 or 680. Hell, even if a simple 580 would do me just fine, I might even go with that.

If I can simply run BF3, Crysis 2, and Metro 2033 AT FULL with no hiccups, and at 60FPS and beyond. And of course, I want to be ready for Metro Last Light.

If I can have a PC ready for that, I'll be golden. I dont plan on SLI/Crossfire at all, at least until further down the road :)

Maybe wait for piledriver. It should be AM3+ and if it's 15% better at the same clock speeds (Tom's test of desktop trinity which has piledriver cores) and clocks 10ish% higher than bulldozer.

Edit: Would love to see a Metro Benchmark with an overclocked 8120. About time we saw games using more than two cores. Even TF2 which originally had no multicore support is better at using more cores than Skyrim and SC2.

mkenyon

Banned
Maybe wait for piledriver. It should be AM3+ and if it's 15% better at the same clock speeds (Tom's test of desktop trinity which has piledriver cores) and clocks 10ish% higher than bulldozer.
But bulldozer is worse in most games than Phenom IIs. This is bad advice.

*edit

Also, Shinobi XL White up on NCIX. Will be in stock at NCIX US in one week. Teaser pic from the BitFenix community manager:

600x600px-LL-3239279a_GEBF_057_4g.jpeg

I think this will be my final (hahahah) case decision for now, until that Cubitek AIO comes out probably.

Ty4on

I should also say that I would only be running these at 1600x900 if that changes anything.

Higher resolutions will stress the GPU more so with lower res you'd see the CPU bottleneck. If the framerate is low and lowering the resolution doesn't help then the CPU is bottlenecking.

mkenyon

Banned
Right, but if proposed estimates of improvements over Bulldozer are seen, then 15% increased performance puts in a worse place than the i3 still. It's just not worth the wait.

I held out hard for Bulldozer, drank that AMD kool aid like it was nectar. Was a hard lesson in brand loyalty, and really broke me of that very childish habit.

AMD offers lots of great products that I would heartily recommend, like fusion for an HTPC with light gaming, or even a really simple SFF box so people can play source/WoW type stuff. For a high end gaming PC, AMD only exists in the videocard market.

If you're already talking about a CPU upgrade, why avoid adding a $100-150 motherboard? Especially when it's the backbone to a $500 videocard. That seems totally arbitrary to me.

legacyzero

Banned
Right, but if proposed estimates of improvements over Bulldozer are seen, then 15% increased performance puts in a worse place than the i3 still. It's just not worth the wait.

I held out hard for Bulldozer, drank that AMD kool aid like it was nectar. Was a hard lesson in brand loyalty, and really broke me of that very childish habit.

AMD offers lots of great products that I would heartily recommend, like fusion for an HTPC with light gaming, or even a really simple SFF box so people can play source/WoW type stuff. For a high end gaming PC, AMD only exists in the videocard market.

If you're already talking about a CPU upgrade, why avoid adding a $100-150 motherboard? Especially when it's the backbone to a $500 videocard. That seems totally arbitrary to me.
So right now, my budget is sitting around $600-$700 currently. I at least need:

-A new GPU
-A new Case (because mine is a piece of shit and has little air flow)

So if you are sayin that anything AMD will not be good with a 580-680 GPU, and you are recommending I switch to Intel? What MOBO/CPU combo would YOU (not the OP, i'm having trouble reading and understanding it atm) suggest.

I'm totally willing to change to something Intel if it future proofs my build a little bit, and the price is right.

Remember though, I only intend on running ONE GPU. I had seen in the Newegg reviews that people were running dual 670's on the Bulldozer with everything at max with no problem. So it's why I'm reluctant.

But it's why I'm here. I trust GAF to help me make the right decisions on this.

Ty4on

Maybe if games were coded more like Metro 2033, but you're right. Going cheap with the CPU doesn't make sense if he has a 680, and if Skyrim is an indication to how well CPU limited games use the Bulldozer archtecture it isn't going to get much better.

Piledriver could also be a lot more expensive. The 8120's price has been pushed down pretty hard, it's even cheaper than the i5 2300 on Newegg and basically an underclocked 8150.

Edit for the post above: 3570k with Asus Maximus V Gene? It's MicroATX which basically means it can "only" fit two GPUs and fits in smaller cases. Z77 means it can overclock Ivy Bridge (3570k/3770k) and the board is great for overclocking.

Double edit: The V Gene is somewhat more expensive in the US...

mkenyon

Banned
So right now, my budget is sitting around $600-$700 currently. I at least need:

-A new GPU
-A new Case (because mine is a piece of shit and has little air flow)

So if you are sayin that anything AMD will not be good with a 580-680 GPU, and you are recommending I switch to Intel? What MOBO/CPU combo would YOU (not the OP, i'm having trouble reading and understanding it atm) suggest.

I'm totally willing to change to something Intel if it future proofs my build a little bit, and the price is right.

Remember though, I only intend on running ONE GPU. I had seen in the Newegg reviews that people were running dual 670's on the Bulldozer with everything at max with no problem. So it's why I'm reluctant.

But it's why I'm here. I trust GAF to help me make the right decisions on this.
I'm sorry, I may have missed it. What is your videocard right now? That gives me a good idea of what is 'worth it' in terms of increased performance. Actually, full system specs would be lovely.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm sorry, I may have missed it. What is your videocard right now? That gives me a good idea of what is 'worth it' in terms of increased performance. Actually, full system specs would be lovely.
Ok GAF: I'm Aiming for either a 680 or a 7970 GPU. Currently I'm running a 4890.

My question is, will my build have any trouble with the new GPU based on what I have. Am I going to have to upgrade anything else? Bottleneck trouble, etc?

GPU
SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX

MOBO:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM:
8GB G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

PSU:
Rosewill BRONZE series RBR750-M 750W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,Active PFC
There ya go :)

Will a Pentium G630T hold up for a few years as an office computer? The most demanding tasks would probably be looking at large blueprints, web browsing and occasionally some HD videos. I had previously picked up a rig with an AMD e-450 Fusion but it was incredibly disappointing in performance and I plan to return it.

Can anyone help me with a question?

I was flashing the BIOS on my motherboard recently and ran into some issues (computer wouldn't POST) that made me worry the FLASH bricked. I took out all the memory and reinserted it back in a GB at a time (my computer has 2 GB of it) and it works fine with one GB total, but it seems not to work with 2 GB anymore. Is it possible a setting was changed in the BIOS, or does this sound like a motherboard issue? For the record, I tested the 4 individual sticks of 512 DDRAM I have using the first 2 slots. Every stick worked unfortunately.

Motherboard: Aopen nck804ua-LFS (ancient, yes)

EDIT: Well I just ran a Memtest and got a shitton of errors. crap, maybe it is the memory though I guess that's a good thing. Now to find out what stick it is.

kharma45

AMD 6950 for £134.64 http://amzn.to/MEdXgz bargain!

Not from Amazon directly but the seller gets good reviews. Only downside is that it's an XFX card as their warranty terms aren't great in the UK.

"XFX does not sell its Product directly to the consumer therefore the warranty for XFX Products remains the responsibility of your reseller where you purchased the Product."

legacyzero

Banned
You're good on the RAM front.

ASRock Z77 Pro4 $120
2500K $200
560Ti 448 Core $250-280, 7850, or 7870. If you're cool with used, you can find 580s for <$300.

The rest on a case from the OP.

Do you already have an aftermarket CPU cooler?
I do, yes.

Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I finally got a 560ti 448. I'm fashionably late because I never spend more than 200 for cards.

I'm wondering if my 3-core 3ghz AMD would need upgrading or not, though. No clue about wether cpus need constant upgrades like cards do...

wrowa

My girlfriend wants a new PC, so we are trying to build a new PC for her. We quite frankly don't know all that much about PC hardware, so I tried to use the table in the OP as a fundament. I'm not quite sure if the parts really work well together or whether or not there are some useless moneysinks in the configuration. In other words, I'd love someone to give advice.

So, that's what we have currently on the list:

1 x EVGA Geforce GTX 670 &#8364; 394,-
1 x Intel® Core&#8482; i5-3570K &#8364; 212,90
1 x ASUS P8Z77-V &#8364; 179,90
1 x Samsung HD103SJ 1 TB &#8364; 69,90
1 x Corsair DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit &#8364; 49,99
1 x Corsair CMPSU-750HX &#8364; 129,90
1 x LG GH-24NS &#8364; 17,29
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium &#8364; 84,90

The prices are probably rather high, I guess, but since we are living in Europe and don't want to buy the parts from different shops there's probably not much we can do about this.

However, are there any obvious flaws in this? Are we missing something vital (except the case, that is). Is there something that doesn't make sense? Especially when it comes to the power supply (750W enough? Too much?) and to the manufacturer of the GPU I'm drawing a blank.

The PC is mostly meant for gaming and general usage. Since she always had low-end PCs until now and can afford something better nowadays, she really would like to go high-end (I'm actually not sure what end of the spectrum this PC would settle at, lol). Her budget for the itself is about ~1,3k&#8364;.

mkenyon

Banned
I finally got a 560ti 448. I'm fashionably late because I never spend more than 200 for cards.

I'm wondering if my 3-core 3ghz AMD would need upgrading or not, though. No clue about wether cpus need constant upgrades like cards do...
This is the very same discussion being had on this page. Scroll up a bit.
My girlfriend wants a new PC, so we are trying to build a new PC for her. We quite frankly don't know all that much about PC hardware, so I tried to use the table in the OP as a fundament. I'm not quite sure if the parts really work well together or whether or not there are some useless moneysinks in the configuration. In other words, I'd love someone to give advice.

So, that's what we have currently on the list:

1 x EVGA Geforce GTX 670 € 394,-
1 x Intel® Core™ i5-3570K € 212,90
1 x ASUS P8Z77-V € 179,90
1 x Samsung HD103SJ 1 TB € 69,90
1 x Corsair DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit € 49,99
1 x Corsair CMPSU-750HX € 129,90
1 x LG GH-24NS € 17,29
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium € 84,90

The prices are probably rather high, I guess, but since we are living in Europe and don't want to buy the parts from different shops there's probably not much we can do about this.

However, are there any obvious flaws in this? Are we missing something vital (except the case, that is). Is there something that doesn't make sense? Especially when it comes to the power supply (750W enough? Too much?) and to the manufacturer of the GPU I'm drawing a blank.

The PC is mostly meant for gaming and general usage. Since she always had low-end PCs until now and can afford something better nowadays, she really would like to go high-end (I'm actually not sure what end of the spectrum this PC would settle at, lol). Her budget for the itself is about ~1,3k€.
Looks good. Add an aftermarket CPU cooler as well.

Any Canadians know how long NCIX and/or Newegg take t ship to Alberta? I'm nervous about building my own computer, and might utilize the assembled rigs at NCIX.

Important note: I wouldn't have access to youtube should I attempt to build my own, my old computer is completely toast.

Edit: Would love to see a Metro Benchmark with an overclocked 8120. About time we saw games using more than two cores. Even TF2 which originally had no multicore support is better at using more cores than Skyrim and SC2.

Yeah, if you just look at at 8150 benches and add 20% for hypothetical Piledriver clock/IPC increases (which might even be a little conservative) you get some pretty good benchmarks. To the point it might be schooling Ivy Bridge in quite a few benches which is kind of shocking.

However, those benches arent games. From what I can tell, in gaming, BD+20% will only finally put it clearly past AMD's last gen, and it will start creeping up on Intel's low end quad core's like the i5-2400. Hey, it' a start I guess.

I continue to think, if games start using more threads, as you'd think they would in the future, BD/PD could start to do a lot better in gaming. That's kind of not something to count on today though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is the very same discussion being had on this page. Scroll up a bit.
Ha, never jumped in here with a question during the same discussion before. Thanks, think I'll let it fly and see if what I have suits the card.

Have two 680's coming this week! Hyped.

Computer is fairly new, but I was already feeling the ram limitations of my 1 gig 560 ti's. Got one for 450 here on Gaf, and another for 440 off amazon. Next Gen, here I come.

Negaiido

Does anyone know how I can make a second SSD into a cache?

I have a main Samsung SSD and a second crucial M4 ssd, I thought Intel RST software could do that easily but I only see 2 HDD's in the list and I can't change anything.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

20120623_130217b3mf9.jpg

Don't some of the eBay sellers offer 30 day warranty?

Still, that bites a lot. Hopefully it is repairable.

knitoe

Don't some of the eBay sellers offer 30 day warranty?

Still, that bites a lot. Hopefully it is repairable.

Some have 14 or 30 day return. The monitors all come with 1 year factory warranty. The problem is the cost to send it back to the seller.

MrBig

Some have 14 or 30 day return. The monitors all come with 1 year factory warranty. The problem is the cost to send it back to the seller.

Hardware failure like that will be taken back at no cost as long as he didn't buy from a bad retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom