• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm running an Nvidia GTX 460 1GB and I decided I want to finally OC it. So I'm guessing I just use nvidia inspector and click on OC options but what should I put the settings at? From what i've read it's easy and I don't need a new cooler right?

Gav47

I'm running an Nvidia GTX 460 1GB and I decided I want to finally OC it. So I'm guessing I just use nvidia inspector and click on OC options but what should I put the settings at? From what i've read it's easy and I don't need a new cooler right?

You can use Nvidia inspector if you want but I find MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision more useful as they let you graph temperatures and set up fan profiles.

Any idea if accessorieswhole will accept lower offers? I know a few sellers do but not sure about this one. I sent an email offering $350 (normally $380) a few hours ago just to try.

MrBig

Any idea if accessorieswhole will accept lower offers? I know a few sellers do but not sure about this one. I sent an email offering $350 (normally $380) a few hours ago just to try.

I wouldn't recommend it, remember that these are actual retailers in Korea, not just some guy selling them on ebay. The offer function is more for people buying multiple monitors.

Citizen K

Guess I'll ask this here. Currently playing anno 2070. I have vsync on and the frame rate is sometimes at 60 fps but also drops to 30 at times. Kinda annoying when it goes between the two. Any suggestions on which settings I should drop? Cos I'm not really sure which to drop without making the graphocs look bad! I have a i5 2500k 4.5ghz, gtx 580, 8gb ram. (i turned the bloom on in the ini because I didnt like it)

screenshotq8ag9.jpg

MrBig

Guess I'll ask this here. Currently playing anno 2070. I have vsync on and the frame rate is sometimes at 60 fps but also drops to 30 at times. Kinda annoying when it goes between the two. Any suggestions on which settings I should drop? Cos I'm not really sure which to drop without making the graphocs look bad! I have a i5 2500k 4.5ghz, gtx 580, 8gb ram. (i turned the bloom on in the ini because I didnt like it)

Disable vsync in the game and force adaptive vsync in the nvidia control panel. It will cap the fps at 60 and then just turn off vsync if it goes below 60 instead of dropping it to half refresh.

Citizen K

Disable vsync in the game and force adaptive vsync in the nvidia control panel. It will cap the fps at 60 and then just turn off vsync if it goes below 60 instead of dropping it to half refresh.

Thanks. If I try that will I get screen tearing when it goes below 60? It does dip below and lock at 30 quite often I'm finding. Even now I'm on a almost blank island on the game and its dropped to 30fps with nothing but an island full of trees! Maybe I should also lower some of the other settings but I'm not sure which.

edit - looks like I need to update my graphics drivers as I dont have the adaptive vsync option (driver 296.10)

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
You can also try using D3Doverrider if that game does not support triple buffering natively. You won't notice the dips as easily because the FPS will drop to the 50s (hopefully) when under stress, instead of 30 FPS without triple buffering.

So try D3Doverrider and disable in-game V-Sync and force V-Sync and triple buffering from the program.

Adaptive V-Sync is cool, but I found it to give me quite a bit of tearing when the FPS drops below 60 FPS. It's great if you can run a game above 60 FPS most of the time.

Citizen K

You can also try using D3Doverrider if that game does not support triple buffering natively. You won't notice the dips as easily because the FPS will drop to the 50s (hopefully) when under stress, instead of 30 FPS without triple buffering.

So try D3Doverrider and disable in-game V-Sync and force V-Sync and triple buffering from the program.

Adaptive V-Sync is cool, but I found it to give me quite a bit of tearing when the FPS drops below 60 FPS. It's great if you can run a game above 60 FPS most of the time.

Just trying D3Doverrider and whilst it no longer drops the fps down to 30, when it dips a bit (even to 55 for example) scrolling the map is pretty jittery. I think I need to lower some settings. Thought my rig would run this flawless at 60 fps lol.

Smokey

I just got all my parts, I have everything but I'm terrified to screw this up, any tips before I start?

it's ok to apply force to secure the CPU. it's normal.
don't forget to plug in the 8 pin adapter into your motherboard from your psu

keep a video open if you're feeling worried. go through the process step by step as they are. that's what I did and it helped.

post here with any questions

Ceebs

keep a video open if you're feeling worried. go through the process step by step as they are. that's what I did and it helped.

He means the locking lever that holds the CPU in, not applying force to get it into the socket. just to be clear.

Also press down HARD on your RAM when installing. It's not going to break even though it seems like it might.

K' Dash

He means the locking lever that holds the CPU in, not applying force to get it into the socket. just to be clear.

Also press down HARD on your RAM when installing. It's not going to break even though it seems like it might.

Thank you guys, I have the Tested How To video open in case I get lost.

K' Dash

Guys dhow much should I screw the heatsink of the CM hyper 212 + against the CPU/MoBo, I feel that is making too much pressure and I haven't scre the screws that much.

I'm scared it's doing too much pressure, is this normal?

Ceebs

Tighten them until they are tight. If you are having to put a lot of force to turn the screws you are probably far enough.

K' Dash

Tighten them until they are tight. If you are having to put a lot of force to turn the screws you are probably far enough.

Not to turn the screws but the actual pressure it is making against the CPU/MoBo I had to press down one side of the retention bracket and I had to apply a little force to push it down for the screw to get to the hole and actually screw it...

LegoDad

Searched and couldn't find the PC Help Thread that was floating around.

But I have a weird thing happening on my computer. Sometimes while coming back from Sleep the computer will start and shut off instantly and keep repeating until it finally turns on and runs post and then windows.I've also saw this happen from a complete dead start up.

So, I'm thinking it's a power issue, but I wanted to make sure before I either get it replaced again..... or just buy a more powerful run. Wondering if the 650 watts for my SLI GTX 460 and i7-970 is just not enough, even though it's been running fine for months. Idk, I'm lost. Could be a ram issue I guess, but wanted to see everyone's thoughts before I go about it.

PS. I'm not running overclock on anything anymore and same issues.

Smokey

yes that's what i meant thanks for clarification lol

PGamer

fucking juniors
Does anyone have any recommendations for good quiet 120 / 200 mm fans? The stock Corsair ones that came with my case are kind of loud and the 200 mm ones are really wobbly. Also do any of you happen to know any good sites for fan reviews or something like that? I don't know where to look to see what's good. Thanks!

OK I've been out of the pc tech loop for a while, built my last one back in 07, and was thinking of building a new one. I know then it was common and beneficial to have the OS just on one drive and put other things on a 2nd drive.

Does the same still hold true for SSD? Im looking at getting either a 256 one or 2 120gb ones. Now the 256 wont have everything liek my music, but likely my OS and games, if I got the 2 smaller ones, one would only be OS.

Eiolon

Any recommendations on a good, quiet, modular PSU that is around 650w? Also, the last modular one that I owned had really thick cables which could barely bend so it sucked for cable management. Not sure if that is the norm but would not like to have those again.

MrBig

Any recommendations on a good, quiet, modular PSU that is around 650w? Also, the last modular one that I owned had really thick cables which could barely bend so it sucked for cable management. Not sure if that is the norm but would not like to have those again.

My Seasonic 620w M12II is inaudible and I had no problems with cable management.

OMG OMG I'm selling my iMac tonight and I'm getting reading to buy my first ever gaming PC...

So I've been getting help from an AusGAF member and I just wanted some extra input from PC GAF. Here is the build I'm looking at currently. Ill be getting everything from the Australian store PCcasegear.

I think around $1700-1800 is my sweet spot. It will be used mainly for gaming so I'll want to OC the CPU/GPU as well. The GTX 670 that is part of this build is just a placeholder as I'm not sure what model is the best from this selection?

Not sure about the case either, I think I like the look of the fractal but I'm not sure which one suits my needs (cool and quiet).

I actually plan on putting this computer right next to the TV in the lounge room, so noise is probably one of the biggest factors at play here.

Looking forward to input.

K' Dash

I need help, the PC I just built won't turn on, when I press the button fans will start for a second and then stop, any ideas what could it be?

knitoe

I need help, the PC I just built won't turn on, when I press the button fans will start for a second and then stop, any ideas what could it be?
If you can, take and post a picture of your entire MB. Start by making sure CPU and MB power plugs are in tight. Also, make sure your ram stick(s) are fully pushed down. If using >1, try rotating only 1 in different slots.

fart

Savant
i am the new/old humble representative of geekhack here to offer keyboard wisdom.

could the OP please add this NEW official mechanical keyboard thread to the OP?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480298&highlight=mechanical

unfortunately i didn't see the one in gaming, so i started one in OT (to be fair, mechanicals are not just for gamers -- oh no, not at all you see they're for you, and you and you!)

also i just got a sapphire 7950 and i'm pretty happy with it. it sounds like the gtx670 is marginally faster, but honestly, i don't really care. i run at 1440p and i have yet to play something that wasn't perfectly fast enough.

K' Dash

If you can, take and post a picture of your entire MB. Start by making sure CPU and MB power plugs are in tight. Also, make sure your ram stick(s) are fully pushed down. If using >1, try rotating only 1 in different slots.

I took out the power supply, thinking it was that, I'm not really sure, it seems a power problem to me, I don't know if I connected everything.

I connected the 24 pin to the MoBo (P8Z77 V LK), but the manual says there's another 6 pin cable that has to be directly connected to the MoBo too, should I just do it?

n0n44m

What's the white material you're using?

white carbon vinyl

3M DI-NOC probably

nice stuff for casemodding, going to put some on my Fractal Define XL today :)

I took out the power supply, thinking it was that, I'm not really sure, it seems a power problem to me, I don't know if I connected everything.

I connected the 24 pin to the MoBo (P8Z77 V LK), but the manual says there's another 6 pin cable that has to be directly connected to the MoBo too, should I just do it?

yeah plug in the pins on the top left of the board, they specifically provide power to the CPU

your'e sure its not 8?

anyways that's the power for the CPU IIRC.

and while on this topic, if the power supply comes with a 4 pin CPU plug is it cool to place it in that same 8pin socket? if so any disadvantages?

I picked up a crucial M4 128GB on one of those sales. Currently have a 40GB older Intel SSD system/boot/os/program drive+ 1TB HDD data drive setup...so I'd like to seamlessly switch out the new crucial SSD for the Intel for the OS/program drive...and then I'll sell the Intel or whatever.

My question is is there a painless, free, way to clone/image the Intel, over to the M4? From what I can tell it's more complicated than I thought and I'm starting to think just a clean reformat /reinstall is the way to go...

Does the M4 have any software for this purpose? I havent even opened it...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OMG OMG I'm selling my iMac tonight and I'm getting reading to buy my first ever gaming PC...

So I've been getting help from an AusGAF member and I just wanted some extra input from PC GAF. Here is the build I'm looking at currently. Ill be getting everything from the Australian store PCcasegear.

I think around $1700-1800 is my sweet spot. It will be used mainly for gaming so I'll want to OC the CPU/GPU as well. The GTX 670 that is part of this build is just a placeholder as I'm not sure what model is the best from this selection?

Not sure about the case either, I think I like the look of the fractal but I'm not sure which one suits my needs (cool and quiet).

I actually plan on putting this computer right next to the TV in the lounge room, so noise is probably one of the biggest factors at play here.

Looking forward to input.
Looks good to me. Just get some other fans to swap in if the noise level is not great for you. The GB 670 is quiettttttttt. ASUS is good, and the MSI should be fine since it has two fans.

I think someone said this today, but the most common mistake is the 8 pin CPU power at the top left of the board, or left over screws, or not putting in the 8 stand off screws.

Look through a quick 20min video or any number of assembly guides.
i am the new/old humble representative of geekhack here to offer keyboard wisdom.

could the OP please add this NEW official mechanical keyboard thread to the OP?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480298

unfortunately i didn't see the one in gaming, so i started one in OT (to be fair, mechanicals are not just for gamers -- oh no, not at all you see they're for you, and you and you!)

also i just got a sapphire 7950 and i'm pretty happy with it. it sounds like the gtx670 is marginally faster, but honestly, i don't really care. i run at 1440p and i have yet to play something that wasn't perfectly fast enough.
Added, the accessories section is sorta hidden at the end though. Geekhack and OCN helped me on my first purchase.

What usually happens is someone gets interested in a Mech KB gaming side and people use that thread for 1-2 months.

The 7950 is a good card at a lower price. With the OC potential high up there it's not a bad buy.
I picked up a crucial M4 128GB on one of those sales. Currently have a 40GB older Intel SSD system/boot/os/program drive+ 1TB HDD data drive setup...so I'd like to seamlessly switch out the new crucial SSD for the Intel for the OS/program drive...and then I'll sell the Intel or whatever.

My question is is there a painless, free, way to clone/image the Intel, over to the M4? From what I can tell it's more complicated than I thought and I'm starting to think just a clean reformat /reinstall is the way to go...

Does the M4 have any software for this purpose? I havent even opened it...
I think claviertekky wrote up something, it might be in the OP somewhere if not.

Windows has it's own imaging utility TMK you can try and use.

cametall

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quiet 120 / 200 mm fans? The stock Corsair ones that came with my case are kind of loud and the 200 mm ones are really wobbly. Also do any of you happen to know any good sites for fan reviews or something like that? I don't know where to look to see what's good. Thanks!

Noctua is renowned for its silent fans. But they can be pricey.

My two 120 Noctuas can hit max RPM (1300 or 1400) and you still can't hear them.

K' Dash

After a night to remember, crying tears of blood and stuff, my new rig is ready, I just need to buy some UTP cable to conect it to the interwebs and run Prime 95 etc to do the stress testing.

After much testing and trying to isolate why my $1000+ new toy didn't turn on I went to read the manuals of my PSU and MoBo and realized I didn't connect and 8 pin cable to the motherboard, after that everything worked perfectly.

Thank you for all the help guys.

Smokey

After a night to remember, crying tears of blood and stuff, my new rig is ready, I just need to buy some UTP cable to conect it to the interwebs and run Prime 95 etc to do the stress testing.

After much testing and trying to isolate why my $1000+ new toy didn't turn on I went to read the manuals of my PSU and MoBo and realized I didn't connect and 8 pin cable to the motherboard, after that everything worked perfectly.

Thank you for all the help guys.

;)

congrats man. it's a great feeling although extra nerve wracking when doing it for the first time.

K' Dash

;)

congrats man. it's a great feeling although extra nerve wracking when doing it for the first time.

Yeah, I was so tired, and didn't notice that cable until later when my brother was looking at the manuals.

Played Amnesia for a little bit and felt great, I have to go out and buy an xbox controller and the UTP cable to update the Win7 and download the testing software, in fact, thats what I'm going to do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom