• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

@ mkenyon

Thanks for replying.

Upthread I think you say an AX650 psu will support two 670 graphics cards? Or am I getting mixed up? If so, definitely I'll go for that instead of the 750 psu.

The trouble with the HDDs is that the seagate costs £79 for 2TB, the crucial m4 £93 (128gb) but the WD black costs £87 for 1TB. It is quite a bit faster tho. I have a 1TB external already so I don't need more I guess.

I think I will be sensible about the RAM, but I don't want to go lower on the graphics.

Where are you buying the M4 from? £93 seems steep for it, it's cheaper with both Amazon and eBuyer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004W2JKZI/

http://www.ebuyer.com/266526-crucial-128gb-m4-ssd-ct128m4ssd2

The Samsung 128GB 830 Series is even less again

http://www.ebuyer.com/318421-samsung-128gb-830-series-ssd-kit-mz-7pc128d-eu

cametall

I hope you mean 1.2V!

Small FFT is proc only, blend is memory and proc.

BCLK is at 100, and shouldn't be touched on SB/IB (but should be on SB-E).

4.2 is a really light overclock, and 4.5 should be easily reached with a 3570/3770. That's usually where the wall comes in.

I'm a newb, yes 1.2V :)

I have stability issues at 4.4. Bumping Vcore up to 1.29v still wasn't stabilizing my OC at 4.4

Which upsets me because I read people getting 4.4 w/out touching Vcore :(

is anyone having trouble running arkham city on max? I just did a benchmark and I got a max of 60fps and an average of 43 at 1920x1080. I thought I could run this game on max at 60fps constantly no problem. I have an i5 2500k oc to 4.5, 16gb of ram, and dual 670's. I can run bf3 on 60fps most of the time, what gives?

I believe it is pretty impossible to get that game running at a steady 60FPS, something about Unreal Engine and ram limitations of the engine.

But, if you're using PhysX try going into the Nvidia control panel and dedicate one card to it. That should help. But, yeah. Even with my new 680's I get pretty huge dips at times.

Straxus

Is an i7 2600k and a GTX 670 FTW g2g with a Corsair HX750, H(?)X850, AX 850 or Cooler Master SPG 800W or 1000W?
Any recommendations or suggestions welcome.

Thank you, Hazaro and everyone here on NeoGAF. I haven't built a PC since '02-'03, and I can't shake this bug now.

is anyone having trouble running arkham city on max? I just did a benchmark and I got a max of 60fps and an average of 43 at 1920x1080. I thought I could run this game on max at 60fps constantly no problem. I have an i5 2500k oc to 4.5, 16gb of ram, and dual 670's. I can run bf3 on 60fps most of the time, what gives?
The game has pretty notorious problems loading assets on time, resulting in hitching and framerate drops. I have the game on an SSD and I still see it. Also, the benchmark seems unreliable; the framerate always drops to 30/40 when it's loading between segments which drags down the average, but I don't think that's representative of the real game.

I bought a GTX 680 from somebody on gaf, and I really regret it because I feel that I don't need a high end graphics card.

Should I sell it, or just keep it and not have to worry about upgrading for the next couple of years?

Ceebs

Is an i7 2600k and a GTX 670 FTW g2g with a Corsair HX750, H(?)X850, AX 850 or Cooler Master SPG 800W or 1000W?

Thank you, Hazaro and everyone here on NeoGAF. I haven't built a PC since '02-'03, and I can't shake this bug now.

Unless you are adding more 670's to your system all of those are overkill.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Depends on what you can drop and what you think you will run.

X850/HX850/AX850, or the 750W models of those imo are good. I have an X750 myself. All of those models go on sale every so often.
I bought a GTX 680 from somebody on gaf, and I really regret it because I feel that I don't need a high end graphics card.

Should I sell it, or just keep it and not have to worry about upgrading for the next couple of years?
Sell it, get a 7950 or 670 imo.

Moppet13

So I recently upgraded to the i5-3570k and I noticed my games seem to crash on me more than they use to, anyone have any ideas? I also use crossfired 6870s but that hasn't been in the past but I guess driver updates could have changed that?

Ceebs

Wow that sucks. Did you pay for shipping? I would demand a refund.

Makes me think I should just go with Amazon since I have Prime.

I did, but I think they are covered since they give themselves 2 full days to process it. unless you live on the west coast (Newegg seems to ship cases from their CA warehouse) I would just order from Amazon.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Cav Blue HDD's are unreliable. If that is going to be your only HDD in the house, and you don't do much cloud backup stuff, then I'd go with a black. If you already have a backup system in place, don't worry about it.

690II and Fractal Arc Midi are much much better cases than the 400R.

1. 650W should be good. If you go with an AX650 or X650, will leave enough room for a second 670 down the line.
2. Yes they are, knowing only comes from knowledge of sockets and memory type.
3. None.
4. Not really unless you're an audiophile.
5. UPS's are expensive for something that will work well for your system, and will still need to be changed out every 1.5 years or so to remain safe. Just go with a good surge protector, and buy a new one every year to keep it safe.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess a cheaper, more efficient CPU is better than 100MHz extra.

The only reason I'm holding off of cav black, is that I heard they are extremely noisy. I may be wrong, but I will look into this.

A UPS, I think I need because the place I live in, we have very frequent power cuts. Almost like, 3 times a day. I don't know if a surge protector would do the trick. So any advice there would be greatly appreciated.

Also, 650W PSU being good for these specs is great news. Would it hold if I decide to throw in another 670 in there, and go for over clocking?

Salacious Crumb

Man prices on SSDs seem to be falling through the floor, it might be time for me to actually jump in. I can pick up a 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD for just over $200 AUD.

It seems to have gotten some pretty nice reviews, Does anyone here have one?

Ceebs

Just got my Crossover in. Ordered it the same day as the Newegg stuff and it had to ship from KOREA! Shame Newegg.

Also HOLY FUCK THIS THIS IS MASSIVE. I have been using a 19" 1440X900 display for the last 8 years so the jump to 27" and 2560X1440 is fucking insane.

No obvious dead pixels either and I am not going to go looking for them either, as I will never be able to ignore them if I do find them.

Noaloha

Got my CPU, motherboard and VGU through the mail today.

The motherboard, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, looks kinda hilarious with its 'THERMAL ARMOR', like something that fell off the back of an armoured personnel carrier.

The VGU, Asus 7970 CUII, just looks fucking huge.

Ceebs

Haha, I did the same.

You would have to be crazy to look for imperfections that are not obvious.

It looks like everything but my case will be here by tomorrow. Debating if I should build in this old case for the weekend and move it once the new one shows up. Maybe use the stock cooler over the weekend so I do not have to take out that giant Noctua once it's in place.

knitoe

Just got my Crossover in. Ordered it the same day as the Newegg stuff and it had to ship from KOREA! Shame Newegg.

Also HOLY FUCK THIS THIS IS MASSIVE. I have been using a 19" 1440X900 display for the last 8 years so the jump to 27" and 2560X1440 is fucking insane.

No obvious dead pixels either and I am not going to go looking for them either, as I will never be able to ignore them I I do find them.

It's crazy how fast the shipping times are. In my case, 3 days from Korea to Florida. 19" for 8 years. Ouch.

Also, if anyone else thinks about buying the Korea monitors, Accessorieswhole now sales them on Amazon.

mu cephei

Where are you buying the M4 from? £93 seems steep for it, it's cheaper with both Amazon and eBuyer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004W2JKZI/

http://www.ebuyer.com/266526-crucial-128gb-m4-ssd-ct128m4ssd2

The Samsung 128GB 830 Series is even less again

http://www.ebuyer.com/318421-samsung-128gb-830-series-ssd-kit-mz-7pc128d-eu

Gosh, I wish I'd seen this yesterday. Those prices are from Aria PC. They were cheaper than Overclockers for most stuff. I did check the other sites in the op, but not all of them for everything, when the first few items were all more expensive. Urgh. (However, the one I quoted came with a 3.5 bracket; the ones without were cheaper but out of stock.)

Well, there's still time for me to order the one from amazon to arrive along with the other stuff tomorrow, as I followed mkenyons suggestion and didn't go for the SSD...

MrBig

I accidentally found a dead pixel on mine when i was cleaning off a bit of alcohol spray that got on it. I have to be within a couple centimeters to find it and can't even pinpoint it without searching around. No way I'd ever be able to see it, even sitting extremely close. There'd have to be a huge clump of dead pixels for them to be vsiible

Ceebs

It's crazy how fast the shipping times are. In my case, 3 days from Korea to Florida. 19" for 8 years. Ouch.

Also, if anyone else thinks about buying the Korea monitors, Accessorieswhole now sales them on Amazon.

Yeah, Monday night around 10PM to about 10:30AM today just north of Atlanta. Could not recommend Accessorieswhole enough if you are in the market for a new monitor.

Edit: The Samsung 830 128GB's were all the way down to 130 on Amazon on Monday when I ordered. You would be crazy not buy a SSD at these prices.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, Monday night around 10PM to about 10:30AM today just north of Atlanta. Could not recommend Accessorieswhole enough if you are in the market for a new monitor.

Edit: The Samsung 830 128GB's were all the way down to 130 on Amazon on Monday when I ordered. You would be crazy not buy a SSD at these prices.
I know this sounds crazy, but I think Atlanta is the main shipping port for Korea. Our local coffee roaster, Batdorf and Bronson, actually set up a shop in Atlanta because they gained so much popularity in Korea and wanted to be able to ship to them easily. I think it's because we have two really huge exchange student programs with them.

On a side note, do yourself a favor and stop by there sometime. It's the best coffee roaster in the world.

kharma45

Gosh, I wish I'd seen this yesterday. Those prices are from Aria PC. They were cheaper than Overclockers for most stuff. I did check the other sites in the op, but not all of them for everything, when the first few items were all more expensive. Urgh. (However, the one I quoted came with a 3.5 bracket; the ones without were cheaper but out of stock.)

Well, there's still time for me to order the one from amazon to arrive along with the other stuff tomorrow, as I followed mkenyons suggestion and didn't go for the SSD...

I see the M4 has taken a further price drop to £81.81 now on Amazon and £76.99 with eBuyer.

From what I've gathered though the Samsung 830 is the better overall SSD.

cilonen

For Nvidia drivers should I wipe / sweep clean before an upgrade or am I good to install over the top?

I always swept with AMD drivers first.

No obvious dead pixels either and I am not going to go looking for them either, as I will never be able to ignore them if I do find them.

Wait it came in 2 days? Are you in the US? Which ebay seller?

Ceebs

I know this sounds crazy, but I think Atlanta is the main shipping port for Korea. Our local coffee roaster, Batdorf and Bronson, actually set up a shop in Atlanta because they gained so much popularity in Korea and wanted to be able to ship to them easily. I think it's because we have two really huge exchange student programs with them.

On a side note, do yourself a favor and stop by there sometime. It's the best coffee roaster in the world.

The package went Alaska, Indianapolis, Atlanta.

I'll check them out, I love good coffee.

Wait it came in 2 days? Are you in the US? Which ebay seller?

More like 36 hours. Yes, and AccessoriesWhole

mkenyon

Banned
Strange!

Do enjoy though. If you like some craft drip at home, I suggest the Bohemian Blend for a darker roast, or the Timbales if you like something a bit more citrus-ey/spicy.

metalshade

Hey guys, on my last few hurdles to build my own gaming PC, my wife is mostly convinced, so now I have to try and shave costs down as much as I can.
So on that note, I want to know if there is a reason why I should buy a Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card as opposed to an Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card?
Will there be a noticeable difference?
The sapphire is about £23 cheaper, but the pc parts picker benchmarks on 2 systems exactly the same just changed those two cards show no difference in performance.
I am looking to run 1080p 60fps, but low AA etc.

mu cephei

I see the M4 has taken a further price drop to £81.81 now on Amazon and £76.99 with eBuyer.

From what I've gathered though the Samsung 830 is the better overall SSD.

Although the amazon one says £81.81, it's charging me £76.99 (I have prime so the free shipping sold me even tho I thought it would be more expensive than the ebuyer). Weird, but I'm not complaining.

And I was trying to be sensible.

Incidentally, now, I thought the crucial was supposed to be better - or have things changed recently?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys, on my last few hurdles to build my own gaming PC, my wife is mostly convinced, so now I have to try and shave costs down as much as I can.
So on that note, I want to know if there is a reason why I should buy a Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card as opposed to an Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card?
Will there be a noticeable difference?
The sapphire is about £23 cheaper, but the pc parts picker benchmarks on 2 systems exactly the same just changed those two cards show no difference in performance.
I am looking to run 1080p 60fps, but low AA etc.
It's a pretty sizeable difference, I have no idea on what the part picker benches are based upon. If you want, google '6870 review' and then look at the differences.

metalshade

It's a pretty sizeable difference, I have no idea on what the part picker benches are based upon. If you want, google '6870 review' and then look at the differences.

Seems like the 6870 is considered to be a go to card for many then?
Should be a good starting point for me.

I should be able to start ordering in a month or so, so prices should get lower anyways (I can dream.)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£162.43 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£75.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£70.00 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card (£135.22 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Xigmatek Asgard II Black/Silver ATX Mid Tower Case (£29.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply (£52.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (£48.98 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£69.92 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £713.25

This build should get me 1080p 60fps for a few years to come right?
Sorry to add to the deluge of other questions and requests on this thread, but honestly, you guys are so great and helpful, I would never consider a self build without your support.

mkenyon

Banned
For those looking for a flashy yet understated full tower, Shinobi XL White is now available in a windowless or windowed version. I'm going to be doing up a full build log in it, getting my 690 under water. Will post here with links and some updated pictures along the way.

pfNZD.jpg

Ceebs

Nice. So I think that's what I'll do. The GTX 670 should be able to handle that resolution for a couple years for all but the most demanding titles right?

I was just playing some Mirror's Edge on it with my old as dirt 4870 while waiting on my new stuff. So yeah.

The downside is UI stuff made for console resolutions looks about like all the UI stuff from the PS2 or Wii emulator.

Why is it most of the benchmarks I see are for 2560x1600 when most of the IPS monitors I see are 2560x 1440? I guess the good news is I should expect a little bit better performance than the benchmarks since the resolution is lower.

dirt%203%202560.png

MrBig

Why is it most of the benchmarks I see are for 2560x1600 when most of the IPS monitors I see are 2560x 1440? I guess the good news is I should expect a little bit better performance than the benchmarks since the resolution is lower.

Because 2560x1600 is the highest consumer res relatively commonly available. We probably won't >HD res becoming more common until later this year or next.

kharma45

Although the amazon one says £81.81, it's charging me £76.99 (I have prime so the free shipping sold me even tho I thought it would be more expensive than the ebuyer). Weird, but I'm not complaining.

And I was trying to be sensible.

Incidentally, now, I thought the crucial was supposed to be better - or have things changed recently?

From what I've gathered the Samsung has a better reliability track record, the 830 is a fast Samsung drive, has a SSD toolbox and is all-Samsung. The M4 uses a Marvell controller. Nothing wrong with that, but there's something to be said about a company originating ALL the parts, total control, total unprecedented knowledge over what they're working with.

Can't go wrong either way really though.

Ceebs

Keep in mind at such a high res, AA is needed way less. Mirror's Edge for instance looks great with no AA despite being a jaggy mess at lower resolutions without it.

Gav47

I got my Crossover 27Q today and I'm having a weird problem with it. When I start up a game the screen will turn on and off rapidly for about 30 secs to 1 min before completely turning itself off.
This will persist even if I exit the game and the only way I've found to stop it is to lower the resolution to 1080p and then set it back to 1440 using the Nvidia control panel.
It happens more often when the game uses 3d graphics, for example if I start PixelJunk Eden it will take a couple of minutes for it to happen but when I start Max Payne 3 it happens right as I reach the menu screen with has a rendering of Max on right hand side.
The screen itself is fine, no dead or stuck pixels.

Anyone ever have these problems with another monitor? Could it be a power problem, DVI-D cable problem or is my monitor just boned?

MrBig

I got my Crossover 27Q today and I'm having a weird problem with it. When I start up a game the screen will turn on and off rapidly for about 30 secs to 1 min before completely turning itself off.
This will persist even if I exit the game and the only way I've found to stop it is to lower the resolution to 1080p and then set it back to 1440 using the Nvidia control panel.
It happens more often when the game uses 3d graphics, for example if I start PixelJunk Eden it will take a couple of minutes for it to happen but when I start Max Payne 3 it happens right as I reach the menu screen with has a rendering of Max on right hand side.
The screen itself is fine, no dead or stuck pixels.

Anyone ever have these problems with another monitor? Could it be a power problem, DVI-D cable problem or is my monitor just boned?

Sounds like a problem with the cable to me. Insure that it's completely plugged in as hard as you can push it. If it doesn't work buy or order a new DL-DVI-D cable.

Gav47

Sounds like a problem with the cable to me. Insure that it's completely plugged in as hard as you can push it. If it doesn't work buy or order a new DL-DVI-D cable.

I've ordered another cable so hopefully that will solve the problem, I've read posts by other people with flickering problems and they fixed it by soldering a loose connection on the DVI board so that another possible solution. I contacted the seller to see what he says, hopefully he'll replace it if I can't repair it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom