• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have a mate who's after a new case. Requirements are:

- "Reasonably cheap" (no more than ~AUD$150)
- No taller than 50cm
- Must be able to fit the HIS 4870 X2

I've recommended the Fractal R3. Are there any other cases he should take into consideration?

knitoe

I'd be doing pretty much everything on my 2tb drive. Im thinking just putting the OS and the occasional fundamental software (and maaaaaaaybe ONE game that im playing atm to speed up load times) to make the PC go faster purely as a desktop machine. Booting up faster, not chuggin with some loads, etc.

My OS drive is pretty busted and it just seems silly to get a low storage one for it when I can do one better and get an SSD, but I still wonder if 60's enough. Prices are nuts.

60 GB SSD are fine for the OS and your most use programs. Windows 7 only uses about 30GB after or install. Leave around 10% free so SSD can do its garbage collection routine. Disable hibernation/ sleep and make the paging file 200MB. Then, you'll have about 25GB free to install other stuff.

After installing my new SSD, I noticed a couple of things strange.

1. Why is my hard drive booting from my new installation? All I care for it is to provide me extra disk space.

2. On start up, I get the dual boot screen with 2 copies of Windows 7 on it. Can anyone tell me what's going on with this? To clarify a little bit, I installed a new copy of Windows 7 on my SSD ignoring the version of Windows 7 I had before I re-installed.

n0n44m

I have a mate who's after a new case. Requirements are:

- "Reasonably cheap" (no more than ~AUD$150)
- No taller than 50cm
- Must be able to fit the HIS 4870 X2

I've recommended the Fractal R3. Are there any other cases he should take into consideration?

the brand new Fractal R4 ? :p other good cases are in the OP

4870X2 does get quite hot IIRC, so you might want to look into a more porous case such as the CM690 II or add some fans to the Fractal R3/R4

I ordered a 3570k a few days ago and should have it by Monday. Do I apply the hotfix that was released a few days ago once I have the rig up and running? Seems like a no shit question, but I am not sure if it's for certain mb+cpu combos or a general hotfix for all 3570k users.

which hotfix? all I find on Google for "3570K hotfix" is this topic :p

I was out of town for work for a few weeks.
I come home and turn on my desktop. The fans get super super loud a few minutes after it boots up. I go from being able to move the mouse around normally to having it go out intermittently to not being able to move at all, use the keyboard, etc. I do a hard power-off because things just seem really bad at this point.
After 20 minutes I boot it back up again and a black screen comes up that says the following:
Code:
"Alert! Previous Fan Failure.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"
Does this mean I should look into replacing the fans? Something else? It was working fine before I went on this work trip.

run F2 for setup, go to the PC health tab and check on temperatures / rpm

if that seems OK boot into Windows and get a program like HWmonitor to check temperatures in Windows

you can also open up the case to confirm the heatsink fan in spinning and that the heatsink is correctly attached

not being able to move mouse/slow response is probably due to processor throttling down as it reaches thermal limits

It's my secondary HDD, aside from the SSD. How do I add it as a device?

Start --> Computer --RIGHTCLICK--> Manage --> Storage/Disk Management -->

Disk should be shown in the top window, with the empty space in the bottom window. Rightclick the empty space and select "Format" to create a partition and make it show up in Windows

Salsa

60 GB SSD are fine for the OS and your most use programs. Windows 7 only uses aboutafter or install. Leave around 10% free so SSD can do its garbage collection routine. Disable hibernation/ sleep and make the paging file 200MB. Then, you'll have about 25GB free to install other stuff.

thanks! this is really helpful

n0n44m

new page, eye candy !

finally took some decent pictures of the new build

2_schuin6qj7u.jpg

10_schuinopentkjq9.jpg

14_links1rkus.jpg

more details in my Build-Log ;)

------------------------------------------------------

After installing my new SSD, I noticed a couple of things strange.

1. Why is my hard drive booting from my new installation? All I care for it is to provide me extra disk space.

2. On start up, I get the dual boot screen with 2 copies of Windows 7 on it. Can anyone tell me what's going on with this? To clarify a little bit, I installed a new copy of Windows 7 on my SSD ignoring the version of Windows 7 I had before I re-installed.

Seems like Windows 7 bootmanager automatically adjusted settings to your new setup;

it detected the old install as well so it adjusted the bootmanager to show both the new AND the old installations

this is why I prefer to format old drives before installation; if you don't have the space to store files elsewhere you might want to Google around for information on how to change the bootmanager and delete the old Windows installation, but I can't really tell you much about it as I always just formatted the disks instead ...

probably something like this http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/180381-how-disable-dual-boot.html ... Google for "remove Windows 7 dual boot" or terms like that

Does newegg ship to Europe?

That white case couple of posts above is really sexy, wonder what type it is. :)

I doubt it, but their site should tell you where they ship right :p or you can use a freight forwarding company

mkenyon has a (modded) Bitfenix Shinobi XL

Tweedy

So I started my build on Friday night, got everything installed into the case and went for the power on. Nothing. After double checking I had the front panel pins in the right place - all power to motherboard etc. I started to panic.

Knew power supply worked as I heard the crackling as I plugged the power lead in. And knew the motherboard was getting power as my mouse light it up.

So after inspecting the cases 'power sw' leads I traced it back to the switch on the top, and one of the leads was hanging loose :mad:. So annoyed that I spent ages troubleshooting it for it to be a fault with the case!!

Doing a return on the case and have just bought a better one out of anger!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
the brand new Fractal R4 ? :p other good cases are in the OP

The R4 isn't available here just yet, not even for pre-order. And I'm aware of the case list in the OP. ;) (I actually looked at the CM690 II earlier, but misread its height, thinking it was taller than 50cm. My bad!)

4870X2 does get quite hot IIRC, so you might want to look into a more porous case such as the CM690 II or add some fans to the Fractal R3/R4

I believe he has quite a few case fans already, so adding them to the R3/4 shouldn't be an issue if he decides to go that route.

Cheers for the response. :)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
new page, eye candy !

finally took some decent pictures of the new build

pics

more details in my Build-Log ;)

------------------------------------------------------

Looks like some kind of space ship from the inside with all those blue tubes and stuff. Really tidy though!

Gaaah, now that SSDs are starting to drop in price I want to delay my rig purchase a bit more. Originally I would have settled for a 128GB but 180GB-256GB really wouldn't hurt because of some personal videos I wanna store and edit. Hm.

Any good deals in Europe for 180GB SSDs? Say, for 150-160€?

n0n44m

Looks like some kind of space ship from the inside with all those blue tubes and stuff. Really tidy though!

Gaaah, now that SSDs are starting to drop in price I want to delay my rig purchase a bit more. Originally I would have settled for a 128GB but 180GB-256GB really wouldn't hurt because of some personal videos I wanna store and edit. Hm.

Any good deals in Europe for 180GB SSDs? Say, for 150-160€?

I got offers from Dutch shops every weekend in the past couple of weeks for Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 SSDs

got my second Samsung 830 256GB for only €165 ! Unfortunately it's back to €200 now at pretty much every store, but the Crucial M4 256 GB is still €170 at Alternate.nl/.de

Just had another Saints Row 3 crash. Could this be related to the bad memory issue I am having?

bad memory = pretty much guaranteed crashing ... so the answer is probably yes

Quick question for anyone with a GTX570.

Using GPU tweak these are my speeds:

GPU Clock - 880
Voltage - 1.088
Memory Clock - 4406

Think it's possible to go higher? I get a few crashes with this, but not much.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I got offers from Dutch shops every weekend in the past couple of weeks for Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 SSDs

got my second Samsung 830 256GB for only €165 ! Unfortunately it's back to €200 now at pretty much every store, but the Crucial M4 256 GB is still €170 at Alternate.nl/.de

Thanks for the tip.

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate if you could give this build a look over before I pull the trigger:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K S1155 3.5GHz 8MB

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX

RAM: Corsair 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 LP

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 670 DCU2 915MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI

PSU: Corsair 750 Watt Pro Series Gold AX750

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi

Heatsink: NZXT Havik 140

SSDs are taken care of already and I use a NAS for mass storage.

Also what thermal compound is recommended? I found some Arctic MX-4 in my moving boxes the other day if that's acceptable.

Thanks in advance for looking!

Monarch

Banned
Quick question for anyone with a GTX570.

Using GPU tweak these are my speeds:

GPU Clock - 880
Voltage - 1.088
Memory Clock - 4406

Think it's possible to go higher? I get a few crashes with this, but not much.

Higher for what purpose ? Benchmarking or stable play ? Either way, if at this stage you've got already crashes and you want to maintain that 880Mhz clock you'll have to apply a higher voltage which will produce more heat (max Voltage for the 570 is 1.1) which is not good for GPUs since their chips are a bit more fragile than CPU IIRC

GAF, I need help on my upcoming build. I'm looking to upgrade to a single card setup, and going over to Nvidia. I'm also looking to future proof myself in terms of PSU, while also using a decent mobo as I intend to do some light OCing. Here is my preliminary build, with my main concern being which mobo to choose. Additionally, is my PSU future proof? Anything else I should change or adjust? Thanks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£176.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£283.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£99.95 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£74.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £661.29

Or this motherboard:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£108.98 @ Dabs)
Total: £696.15

Or this motherboard:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £697.16

Edit: It should be noted that I already have my case, RAM, SSD and HDD. I also have an old OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU, which I don't think is all that great.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Got a question folks. Having a recurring problem that isnt too often but hasn't happened before last couple of weeks.

I have a quad 9550 Oc'd to 3.4 ghz that has been stable for a while. I have 4870x2 that i clean enough to keep it cool. I have a corsair 750 watt psu. P5E3 Premium MB. 4 gig ddr3 ram.

I will notice visual corruption on the screen and then the pc hard freezes and i need to shutdown. When i start up again there is no visual output, and i need to reconnect my monitor plug to get a picture. The red lights on my 4870x2 will flash briefly before shutting off. That's the only time that happens.

Now i thought the problem was related to my psu plug not being inserted correctly onto my x2 and so i fixed that but the problem happened again after that correction. I have tried lowering the fan speed of my x2 to see if its a power problem. I have also gone into my bios and slightly increased the voltage to my cpu core and my NB settings. Hasn't happened after the volt increase but i haven't had the pc on for that long. Its happened 4 times in about 2 weeks. I haven't installed any new ati drivers or done any major tinkering that i could think of. My 4870x2 temp idles at around 41c. My cpu idles at around 36-38c

I really cant afford a new pc right now and im fairly inept at this stuff. Is there any way i can pinpoint if its my psu or my video card? I ran memtest on my ram and no issues. And ran Prime95 for an hour and no issues.

Thanks for any help.

Giard

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times, but what is the best screen you can get for about $200-250? It would be used for gaming, but also for media work.

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times, but what is the best screen you can get for about $200-250? It would be used for gaming, but also for media work.

It's hard to say what's the best screen. You can probably get a decent 120hz screen for that price or you could get a 60hz monitor, but have a far greater range to choose from. Alternatively, I've found that the 1200p screen are typically great quality.

For 1080p screen in that price range, I'm quite partial to large screens such as the Acer S243HLbmii or the Asus VE258Q. The ViewSonic VG2236WM-LED isn't bad either, if a tad small.

MrBig

IPS panel if you're doing color work. U2312 is ~$200. Get a U2412 if you can stretch your budget a bit; 16:10, real 8bit and H-ips as opposed to e-ips in the 23" iirc.

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate if you could give this build a look over before I pull the trigger:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K S1155 3.5GHz 8MB

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX

RAM: Corsair 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 LP

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 670 DCU2 915MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI

PSU: Corsair 750 Watt Pro Series Gold AX750

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi

Heatsink: NZXT Havik 140

SSDs are taken care of already and I use a NAS for mass storage.

Also what thermal compound is recommended? I found some Arctic MX-4 in my moving boxes the other day if that's acceptable.

Thanks in advance for looking!

MX-4 is great. Rest looks good. 8gb ram if you're just gaming though, and a 500~600w psu if you don't plan on SLI in the future.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm thinking of purchasing a bigger SSD, I have a question though, my primary drive is an SSD and I was wondering if the new SSD would lose any speed if it isn't the drive with the OS on it? I'm asking because I have been looking into it and I have seen some people mention that the speeds of an SSD are slower if it isn't the primary drive.

Alright guys, I figured it out.

I had to do another reinstall of Windows 7, this time with my hard drive disconnected. I formatted my SSD from the old install just before I installed another Windows 7 and now I can format my hard drive as well.

Now I can go ahead and overclock my processor and ram so I can play Battlefield 3.

LEGGZZZZ

Ok, so after a few suggestions, here is the final list of my 1st build for multimedia/gaming, future SLI support. I don't know how to overclock, so I will probably be playing with stock settings until I research how. Any improvements for selected parts or suggestions?

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K

MOBO: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s

GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU: SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready

CASE: Fractal Design Arc Midi Black High Performance PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 and 3 x Fractal High Performance 140mm fans

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm

RAM: 2X SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) (for 16gb media work) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

KEYBOARD: Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000RE with Cherry MX Red Switch

Monitor: 27 inch crossover

Thanks again in advance!!

TGMIII

Anyone with a MSI 6950 2gb twin frozr give me a bit of advice. When mine gets to 60C the fans go crazy and every 5C from there on in they get even louder. I'll assume that it's because of the default settings but has anyone here played around with different fan profiles and managed to get it running quieter but at the same time not cooking the card?

Ok! I keep pushing this back. But I gotta order it naow! This is my final build I think... please let me know what you think and tell me to just order it! :D

(All from Newegg)

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$95 (http://tinyurl.com/7m82rln)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel
$320 (http://tinyurl.com/cnldkjl)

GPU: MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
$270 (http://tinyurl.com/ct39pe5)

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$105 (http://tinyurl.com/7wpw2f3)

PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$87 (http://tinyurl.com/cuusfmo)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$110 (http://tinyurl.com/ygkzrvc)

OPDRIVE: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
$20 (http://tinyurl.com/yj5avvg)

Total: $1007 (before tax/ship)

I also need a CPU cooler right? Anyone got a link for a cheapo one that'd work w/ my CPU/MOBO? :D I went over budget, but Thanks for the help!!!

Whooter

Ok! I keep pushing this back. But I gotta order it naow! This is my final build I think... please let me know what you think and tell me to just order it! :D

(All from Newegg)

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$95 (http://tinyurl.com/7m82rln)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel

GPU: MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
$270 (http://tinyurl.com/ct39pe5)

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$105 (http://tinyurl.com/7wpw2f3)

PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$87 (http://tinyurl.com/cuusfmo)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$110 (http://tinyurl.com/ygkzrvc)

OPDRIVE: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
$20 (http://tinyurl.com/yj5avvg)

Total: $1007 (before tax/ship)

I also need a CPU cooler right? Anyone got a link for a cheapo one that'd work w/ my CPU/MOBO? :D I went over budget, but Thanks for the help!!!

You only need something more than the stock cooler if you're going to overclock. Given that the processor is not unlocked (no K after the model #), I don't believe you'll be able to overclock.

60 GB SSD are fine for the OS and your most use programs. Windows 7 only uses about 30GB after or install. Leave around 10% free so SSD can do its garbage collection routine. Disable hibernation/ sleep and make the paging file 200MB. Then, you'll have about 25GB free to install other stuff.

I disagree, I have like nothing installed but small programs and windows+office and I only have like 5 gigs free on my 60GB SSD and it seems to be the reason I can't install SP1 for Windows 7.

I'd be doing pretty much everything on my 2tb drive. Im thinking just putting the OS and the occasional fundamental software (and maaaaaaaybe ONE game that im playing atm to speed up load times) to make the PC go faster purely as a desktop machine. Booting up faster, not chuggin with some loads, etc.

My OS drive is pretty busted and it just seems silly to get a low storage one for it when I can do one better and get an SSD, but I still wonder if 60's enough. Prices are nuts.

How expensive are SSDs in your country?

I realize that this is sounding vague but after everything is built my computer runs fine. After I install drivers I get constant crashes. Any advice for a complete noob? I'll post specifics after I get home this week but what can I expect? A bad GPU? Just downloading the wrong drivers?

Whooter

I realize that this is sounding vague but after everything is built my computer runs fine. After I install drivers I get constant crashes. Any advice for a complete noob? I'll post specifics after I get home this week but what can I expect? A bad GPU? Just downloading the wrong drivers?

BSODs? Need to see what program is causing it (usually listed on the screen). Impossible to really tell without more specifics, though.

You only need something more than the stock cooler if you're going to overclock. Given that the processor is not unlocked (no K after the model #), I don't believe you'll be able to overclock.

Ah thanks for the tip. I was reading reviews and seems like the heatsink that comes w/ it isn't that good.

Anyone have a link (newegg) for a cheapo/nice CPU heatsink that'd work w/ my setup? Thank you! Just that and I think I'll order!!

very. $100ish for 60gb and youre lookin at anywhere from $200 to $350 for 120gb

Dang... Your country sucks. :/

Do you get a blue screen or error messages when it crashes? You need to give more info than that. You could try to check your ram with memtest in the meantime though, you usually have to let it run over night.

knitoe

I disagree, I have like nothing installed but small programs and windows+office and I only have like 5 gigs free on my 60GB SSD and it seems to be the reason I can't install SP1 for Windows 7.

Disable sleep/hibernate. That should free up 12-15GB. Change your paging file to zero or 200MB if you run very old programs that used them. It should then free up a few GBs.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member

You need a k-CPU if you want to OC, for example i7-3770k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

It isn't cheap but it's one of the best you can get imo.

You need a k-CPU if you want to OC, for example i7-3770k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

It isn't cheap but it's one of the best you can get imo.

Thanks for the advice. That cooler is a little expensive and I don't think I'll get the K, too pricey. (UNLESS It's really worth the extra $20 for over clocking)

Can a cheapo fan like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
Work w/ Ivy Bridge CPU?

Thanks again :D So close!

satori

Ok guys I am building a new rig. I got all the parts except for a case. I been looking over either a
Nzxt phantom 410, Corsair 500r, Corsair 600t, or one of the HAF from CM. A mid tower is what I am looking for. Air cooling and air efficiency is important. Do not plan to be mobile with the PC. Will do water cooling in the future but not right now.

My wife threw a shoe at me because I am so indecisive over it haha. I think I changed my mind at least 10 times today :p

Anyone have experience with one of these cases that can give me some pointers? Or any other case you would recommend? 100-150 is around what I would spend on it. I got a p8z77 asus mobo btw. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom