• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Nope. They only do hard launches generally, so it'll all be vague until it hits.

*edit*

Got a user response before Bourne, the Accelero will not fit in there.

That sucks. I figured that would be the case. I may just go 480 to 680 and hold off on the Prodigy + ITX board. According to my bank account, doing all that would be a big no-no.

Don't suppose you know the email of the OCN Corsair guy? Corsair has been ignoring me for who knows how long now about one of my RMAs because I did a "partial" return but I have no idea what they wanted for a "full" return. That and I'd like to skip the whole signing up for yet another forum bit.

gokieks

You may have had some bad luck, but UltraSharps still have the best warranty and return policy in the business.

And for what it's worth, between me and my friends we've owned at least 20 UltraSharps over the years, and we've never had any serious problems. At this point I honestly wouldn't buy anything else if I had a choice. And it's not like Dell's monitors are overpriced in most cases.

Wazzim

Banned
Nope, and every day that passes that date the supply manager of one of the component suppliers here in the UK gave of autumn time looks more and more likely.

Booooo! :(

I really feel the need for a better GPU but the 670 is still a bit too steep and I don't want to risk going with a 7950.

mkenyon

Banned
That sucks. I figured that would be the case. I may just go 480 to 680 and hold off on the Prodigy + ITX board. According to my bank account, doing all that would be a big no-no.

Don't suppose you know the email of the OCN Corsair guy? Corsair has been ignoring me for who knows how long now about one of my RMAs because I did a "partial" return but I have no idea what they wanted for a "full" return. That and I'd like to skip the whole signing up for yet another forum bit.
PM sent.

Booooo! :(

I really feel the need for a better GPU but the 670 is still a bit too steep and I don't want to risk going with a 7950.
What's the risk?

Does anyone know if Fractal Design has any warranty on their computer case fans? I noticed that one of my fans doesn't spin when I have all of them connected.

Katoki

Given they are the same price, what would guy recommend.

A 7970 or a GTX670?

I would recommend a GTX 670 with an aftermarket cooling solution already on it like the Gigabyte Windforce model, MSI Twin Frozr III (I think it's III) or the ASUS Direct CU II I think it was called but it's your pick really when it comes down to the brand. The reference blowers on the 670's are subpar to okay, but they still make a lot of noise compared to non-blower types.

I've never been able to play nice with AMD drivers, but maybe that's just because I'm dumb or something.

Thanks again. He got it sorted out for me so quickly.

My first attempt at overclocking led me to a blue screen.

Anyone got any advice on what I should do? I want to up my CPU speed to what it can be capable of and keep my RAM at 1600MHz. My CPU is an Intel i5 3570K.

MrBig

Hey GAF, between these 2 which would you pick?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005760836/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007A2JM0A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any alternatives in addition to choosing between those 2?

570 for nvidia; 7850 if you can go over to amd.

Anyone got any advice on what I should do? I want to up my CPU speed to what it can be capable of and keep my RAM at 1600MHz. My CPU is an Intel i5 3570K.

What are your settings? Start from something like 1.3v at a multiplier of 42x100mhz and see how close you can get to 1.1~1.2v at 4.4ghz. Test in prime95 for every .01v interval; do it in software with AI suite if you can, then set the values that work in bios when you know they're stable. BSoD means it's unstable.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey GAF, between these 2 which would you pick?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005760836/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007A2JM0A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any alternatives in addition to choosing between those 2?
448 core is a slightly toned down 570. So that one. If you can find the ASUS DCII or MSI Twin Froze editions for close to the same price, one of those.
Never had an AMD GPU, I'm afraid of some firmware issues. The hardware itself is fine.
You have been the victim of internet FUD.

OP overclocking guide.

Also plug your fan that isn't working straight into power.

hitmon

448 core is a slightly toned down 570. So that one. If you can find the ASUS DCII or MSI Twin Froze editions for close to the same price, one of those.

You have been the victim of internet FUD.

Whats the impact of 1280MB GDDR5 vs 2048 MB GDDR5?

Forgot to mention my motherboard doesn't support PCI 3.

hitmon

Nothing if you play at 1080P.

Only the 690 is slightly, very slightly, bottlenecked by PCI-E 2.

So PCI-e 3 cards can work with PCI-e 2 motherboards without much of a hit performance wise?

I would like to play Witcher 2 on high or ultra settings. 1080P is what I'm currently playing at.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep! Its all backwards and forwards compatible as it is simply a bandwidth specification. The big gains are around PCI-E solid state drives. 580s only saturate about 1/3 to 1/2 of PCI-E 2.0 x16.

hitmon

Yep! Its all backwards and forwards compatible as it is simply a bandwidth specification. The big gains are around PCI-E solid state drives. 580s only saturate about 1/3 to 1/2 of PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Wow, learn something new everyday. Thanks! I was originally leaning toward a gtx 680, but thought I had to upgrade my motherboard with it.

I just found out today that a new Nvidia card is suppose to come out mid next year so I'm thinking about waiting.

I apologize for being all over the place, but I have a few more questions about upgrading.

When I was leaning toward upgrading my GPU to the GTX 680, I was also considering the Intel's i5 3570K Processor 3.4 Ghz (currently have i7 920 2.6). What motherboard would you recommend to go with those 2?

I was considering:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007G51VEQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't really plan to overclock, but I maybe open to it in the future.

vocab

So PCI-e 3 cards can work with PCI-e 2 motherboards without much of a hit performance wise?

I would like to play Witcher 2 on high or ultra settings. 1080P is what I'm currently playing at.

My I5-750 and gtx 670 can play witcher 2 on ultra fine. I recommend just disabling ssao and motion blur for a smoother experience though.

Finally completed my new rig.

BtqBVl.jpg

Intel Core i5 3570k
GTX 670 FTW
8gb Ripjaw RAM
500gb HDD
650w Antec PSU
AsRock Extreme4 Z77 Mobo
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

1)Click Start, and then click Run. Then in the open box, type ” cmd ” without quotes and then click OK.

2)From an administrative command prompt, type “powercfg -h off” to get that space back.

Also, you can get more space by deleting old system restore points or disable it entirely.

Sweet, much appreciated.

Is there any good cloning software? I'm thinking about upgrading my SSD and I would rather just copy everything over as an image.

Finally completed my new rig.

BtqBVl.jpg

Intel Core i5 3570k
GTX 670 FTW
8gb Ripjaw RAM
500gb HDD
650w Antec PSU
AsRock Extreme4 Z77 Mobo
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Damn, this should have been my build if I didn't make mistakes in picking my parts.

I bought a 680, lower stock speed no name brand ram, and an 850W PSU which is overkill.

Damn, this should have been my build if I didn't make mistakes in picking my parts.

I bought a 680, lower stock speed no name brand ram, and an 850W PSU which is overkill.

I took a lot of time and care nitpicking which parts I would get. So far I am happy with my purchases. 650 was probably overkill for this because I dont plan on adding anything else to it, but it was a good brand and price.

I love my new BenQ 24" 120hz monitor so much. I am really glad I went 120hz. The picture quality alone was a massive upgrade from my last screen but fluid 120fps with ultra/max settings in a game like Dear Ester was a profound experience. F12011 and Far Cry 2 are delicious at 120fps as well. Now, how many weeks do I wait till I tell the wife I want to buy another one? Fucking hell, I missed PC gaming so much. Good to be back.

diamount

Banned
I love my new BenQ 24" 120hz monitor so much. I am really glad I went 120hz. The picture quality alone was a massive upgrade from my last screen but fluid 120fps with ultra/max settings in a game like Dear Ester was a profound experience. F12011 and Far Cry 2 are delicious at 120fps as well. Now, how many weeks do I wait till I tell the wife I want to buy another one? Fucking hell, I missed PC gaming so much. Good to be back.

Haha, hope you have the horse power to power 2 of em and run games above 60 fps.

burgerdog

Did they remove D3DOverrider from the RivaTuner download? I don't see it anywhere after installing RT and nothing about D3DO in the download folder either.

I've been playing some of my PS2 games in PCSX2 and my CPU may need to be upgraded. What would a good one be? I don't really want to bother with overclocking, either. My current one is an AMD Athlon II X4. I was thinking of an i5.

This is my current mobo. Would that need to be replaced as well?

kharma45

I've been playing some of my PS2 games in PCSX2 and my CPU may need to be upgraded. What would a good one be? I don't really want to bother with overclocking, either. My current one is an AMD Athlon II X4. I was thinking of an i5.

This is my current mobo. Would that need to be replaced as well?

Yeah you'll need a new motherboard too.

beje

Banned
Ok guys, I need a little bit of technical help. I want to buy a new SSD (already know which one, Crucial M4 128GB) and I want to make a clean Windows 7 install on it. Problem is, I have an OEM installation DVD (with a legal CD Key and all that) that I got from an online store (this is, not preinstalled or anything) and I don't know if I will have any license issues if I use it to make a clean installation in the new SSD an then activate it.

Previously, I have had no issues moving the installation partition around different HDDs but this case is a little bit different. Thanks in advance!

that's not gonna last long with such a killer rig mang

It was only 25 bucks, got it from a friend for cheap. I will put in an SSD a little later.

you should put the cpu fan on the other side of the heatsink pushing air from right to left

:)

There is an exhaust fan that isn't pictured in the back of the case, as well as one on top. I reversed the fan on the cooler so that is sucks air from the front of the case and blows it right into the exhaust fan.

$280 for a dual monitor.

Damn want. Working on SFM really made me wish I had multiple monitors.

I have the triple monitor version of this mount right here. Much cheaper, but with a GREAT build quality. Some assembly required though.

mxgt

Banned
Ok guys, I need a little bit of technical help. I want to buy a new SSD (already know which one, Crucial M4 128GB) and I want to make a clean Windows 7 install on it. Problem is, I have an OEM installation DVD (with a legal CD Key and all that) that I got from an online store (this is, not preinstalled or anything) and I don't know if I will have any license issues if I use it to make a clean installation in the new SSD an then activate it.

Previously, I have had no issues moving the installation partition around different HDDs but this case is a little bit different. Thanks in advance!

You'll be able to install and activate windows fine, OEM is tied to the motherboard.

beje

Banned
You'll be able to install and activate windows fine, OEM is tied to the motherboard.

Ok, good to know. Now, second question (though this might be a little more difficult): I plan on taking advantage of the Windows 8 40 bucks upgrade later down the road. Would it affect the license if I decided to switch mobo some months after the upgrade?

Ok, good to know. Now, second question (though this might be a little more difficult): I plan on taking advantage of the Windows 8 40 bucks upgrade later down the road. Would it affect the license if I decided to switch mobo some months after the upgrade?

I think OEM is the only one affected by a change in motherboard.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Can anybody tell me whats the difference between Core i5 2500 and i5 2500K?
The K one is little bit more expensive but the clock speed and everything else is same between these two. Which will be better for gaming? Any other better proc in the same price range?
Also, if possible, please suggest a good (not expensive) mobo to go with these?

kharma45

The K one is little bit more expensive but the clock speed and everything else is same between these two. Which will be better for gaming? Any other better proc in the same price range?

K is unlocked for overclocking, if you're at all thinking about OCing go for the K one.

diamount

Banned

Non-k cannot be overclocked, k can. So if you want a big performance gain in gaming then look into the K and overclock it, look at the recommended heatsink depending on your budget.

Posted this in the pickup thread but thought you guys might be interested as well:

Got a new laptop for email and internet stuff when I am away from home. It is 100x better than the last netbook I checked out (Lenovo x120).

Acer AO765 and runs $279 right now at Best Buy.

It has a Intel Celuron processor based of the Intel i5 architecture. Has 2 ram slots for a max of 8GB of ram.

Luckily I had 4gb of ram from an old Macbook and an extra 128GB flash Intel Drive. Makes this thing super snappy now.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Non-k cannot be overclocked, k can. So if you want a big performance gain in gaming then look into the K and overclock it, look at the recommended heatsink depending on your budget.

K is unlocked for overclocking, if you're at all thinking about OCing go for the K one.

Thanks guys. Can you suggest a better proc in the same range and a good but not expensive mobo to go with i5 2500?

diamount

Banned
Thanks guys. Can you suggest a better proc in the same range and a good but not expensive mobo to go with i5 2500?

Sorry, not the greatest when it comes to computer terminology - what is a proc? As for the mobo any that supports Z68 is fine, not sure if you need the extra features a more expensive mobo provides.

You may as well spend the extra 10 dollars and get the i5 3570k . As far as a Mobo goes, I just got the AsRock extreme4 and it is GREAT. Not too bad on the price front, It is on sale right now for $115. There is also a Micro ATX version of this board that is cheaper. I cannot attest to the quality though.

Azih

So this is what I picked up to replace my PC that's been dead for months (been getting by on an old laptop for too long).

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply
ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit

This will run me $ 500 CAD incl. tax after I use two mail in rebates. How does it look for a mid tier gaming system? I'm going to salvage the HDD and DVD drive from my old PC and a good friend gave me his old HD5870 to use as well (old card but it seems like it was a monster that's aging well).

I still need to get a case which is pretty damn confusing. I want something that's reasonably priced and easy to keep cool. What does 'cable management' mean anyway? Seems like it would be a good thing but have no idea how it works in the case. PSU on bottom is better than PSU on top right? Doesn't hot air rise though?

Also planning to pick up a 120/128 GB SSD but that stuff really baffles me. Figured I'd put it off until the fall (watching out for deals of course) when I plump for the 40 dollar upgrade to Windows 8 and go for a fresh install (still rocking XP and it really has to go). How the hell do I make sense of SSDs? Are Samsung and Intel by far the most reliable? I don't mind paying a premium for reliability but I'm not working with a huge budget either. How about the OCZ Vertex 3? Intel 520? Samsung 830? What's the deal with desktop upgrade bundle kits vs notebook upgrade bundle kits? Do I need a desktop upgrade bundle kit at all?

Katoki

IIRC, people usually suggested the i5-2400 if you were going to go with the SB processors and didn't want to overclock. Reasoning is because that most users won't see that small difference in everyday use and you save a bit more money on top of that. Now as for pricing, you'll have to check yourself to see if it's worth it where ever in the world you happen to be.

Noaloha

Hellooooo. Tomorrow is payday and, as such, I shall be making 'Massive Purchase #2 of 3' when I wake up.

Last month I picked up-

Z77 Sabertooth
7970 DCUII (non-OC)

Tomorrow I (currently plan to get)

H100
2x Noctua NF-F12
Fractal Arc Midi
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz
And a Corsair 650W Modular TX650

I think I'm comfortable here with everything except the PSU, and it's this PSU that I'm posting to check up on.

My actual question then:
Can someone please allay my worries and confirm/deny that this is an appropriate voltage level and quality of component? If it's not, then obviously I'm all ears with regards to similarly priced alternatives.

One thing I noted was that the PSU is described as having '1 x power 8 pin EPS12V', where in my Sabertooth manual it specifies a '4-pin/8-pin EATX12V power plug'. Am I right in thinking that these amount to the same connections?

(?)Things that might be relevant to PSU wattage considerations(?): I don't intend to XFire the GPU in the future; The 7970 will be, as far as I'm aware, *very* likely voltage-locked; I intend to get SSD + HDD for storage; Oh, and I assume the case will be running 7 fans in total**[see edit] (the two Noctuas on the H100, plus three Fractal fans and the two Corsair fans dotted about the case itself).

Any other thoughts/suggestions/critiques at this point on the build are welcome.

**EDIT: Having said that, I don't actually know. The motherboard has the following fan connectors: CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT(ional), CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, CHA_FAN3, CHA_FAN4. I'm not 100% on how the H100 fits into that. My assumption at this point is that the H100 will connect only to CPU_FAN. This leaves the four chassis fan connectors plus that CPU_OPT which, I dunno, can that be commandeered as a makeshift fifth chassis fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom