• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the advice. That cooler is a little expensive and I don't think I'll get the K, too pricey. (UNLESS It's really worth the extra $20 for over clocking)

Can a cheapo fan like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
Work w/ Ivy Bridge CPU?

Thanks again :D So close!

If you don't buy a K-CPU, you won't need a Z77 mobo. A H77 or B75 should work (ans will save you some money, too)

Good CPU cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186060

If you don't buy a K-CPU, you won't need a Z77 mobo. A H77 or B75 should work (ans will save you some money, too)

Good CPU cooler

Thank you, will do!

Would you advise I upgrade to the K-CPU ($20 more) and downgrade my GPU to a 7850 instead of 7870 (save $40)?

The 7850 and the 7870 seem comparable, just the 7870 seems more expensive. And would that Cooler you listed be good for a KCPU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127662
vs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663.

Thanks again!

MrBig

Good CPU cooler

I can't find any reviews on that heatsink from a reputable site, and the only one I read showed crap results.

Thank you, will do!

Would you advise I upgrade to the K-CPU ($20 more) and downgrade my GPU to a 7850 instead of 7870 (save $40)?

The 7850 and the 7870 seem comparable, just the 7870 seems more expensive. And would that Cooler you listed be good for a KCPU?

vs

Thanks again!

7870 doesn't really have anything over the 7850 for the money.

the k signifies that the cpu is an unlocked model allowing you to overclock. If you're not overclocking above ~4ghz you can just use the stock cooler. The hyper 212+ evo is the best price/performance heatsink.

I can't find any reviews on that heatsink from a reputable site, and the only one I read showed crap results.

7870 doesn't really have anything over the 7850 for the money.

the k signifies that the cpu is an unlocked model allowing you to overclock. If you're not overclocking above ~4ghz you can just use the stock cooler. The hyper 212+ evo is the best price/performance heatsink.

Ok great thanks, I'll do that (i'm going with the K). Is there a link for that Heatsink? I can't seem to find the 212+. Thanks! So close!

MrBig

Shit back to the 570! I'm back where I started. Haha. The 570 just doesn't seem as good. I'm not sure :(

And that PSU is the same just modular? Damn nice! Thanks :)

Yes, same psu. The 7850 will be marginally better in game, but I think you could stand to do some research on the performance of the cards in the production software you'll be working with. Cuda would almost certainly overshadow the extra game performance a 7850 would net you.

Yes, same psu. The 7850 will be marginally better in game, but I think you could stand to do some research on the performance of the cards in the production software you'll be working with. Cuda would almost certainly overshadow the extra game performance a 7850 would net you.

Thanks! Ordered that PSU.

I'm leaning towards the 7850... Some of my CG friends say they don't see much of a benefit ect. May sleep on it. Thanks a lot for your assistance!

Also, there's so many damn versions. The OP says there all about the same, is there any company that people prefer?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00006662&isNodeId=1&Description=570&x=12&y=16

kharma45

Marginally better at stock speeds but a lot better with an overclock, most cards are easily able to break the 1GHz barrier, I had mine at 1.2GHz and it was stable as a rock.

Disable sleep/hibernate. That should free up 12-15GB. Change your paging file to zero or 200MB if you run very old programs that used them. It should then free up a few GBs.

I have the paging small, but sleep/hibernate frees up that much? I'll have to try it this morning. I really want SP1 to install already. :/

Edit: How do you do this? Do you remove it from the start bar completely? I'm confused now.

it actually rules in every regard but this

:p

If you say so. ;P

Not sure if there's some kind of tech support thread, so I'll post this here.

I've got a Dell Precision M4300, and it won't turn on properly. I press the power button, and the hard drive and bluetooth indicators appear for a few seconds, then turn off. The power button is visible, but the laptop itself doesn't seem to turn on. The disc drive makes its normal noise, and the fan operates normally.

It happened when I was exporting a video in Sony Vegas in the background, and while I was browsing the web, I inadvertently put the laptop into sleep mode. When I switched it back on, it was stuck on a black screen, with just the power button visible. After about 10 minutes, I switched it off via the power button, and now it's operating as I mentioned above.

So, could anyone offer some advice, please? I've tried removing the battery, but that doesn't seem to work.

Thraktor

Might want to switch the gpu to a GTX 570 then, for Cuda support. And get the modular version of that psu (OOS on newegg atm).

Adobe are switching their GPU accelleration to OpenCL, and when they support the 7850/7870 those cards will likely perform noticeably better than the 570 (although it could be a few months before Adobe get around to supporting the 7850/7870). Not entirely sure about Maya, etc.

Edit: With Maya you're pretty much stuck with the 570. The iray renderer uses CUDA, and even third party renderers like OctaneRender seem to all use CUDA as well. Scratch what I said above, go with the 570.

Ocho

Thank you, will do!

vs

Thanks again!

If you're planning only to play games with it, get 8gb of ram instead of 16 and use that 50 for cpu/gpu upgrades.

GAF, I need help on my upcoming build. I'm looking to upgrade to a single card setup, and going over to Nvidia. I'm also looking to future proof myself in terms of PSU, while also using a decent mobo as I intend to do some light OCing. Here is my preliminary build, with my main concern being which mobo to choose. Additionally, is my PSU future proof? Anything else I should change or adjust? Thanks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£176.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£283.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£99.95 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£74.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £661.29

Or this motherboard:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£108.98 @ Dabs)
Total: £696.15

Or this motherboard:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £697.16

Edit: It should be noted that I already have my case, RAM, SSD and HDD. I also have an old OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU, which I don't think is all that great.

Anyone?

abunai

Everything looks good. If you're looking to overclock fairly high (4.4 upwards) ditch the MSI board and get the ASUS or ASRock one instead, the G43 isn't super amazing when it comes to overclocking (might just be the one off experience I had with it, but a friend could only reach 3.8Ghz on his G43).

750W is plenty, probably too much for non-SLI. I'd go for 600~ watts, but if you plan on SLI or keeping it in the future, 750W is grand.

knitoe

I have the paging small, but sleep/hibernate frees up that much? I'll have to try it this morning. I really want SP1 to install already. :/

Edit: How do you do this? Do you remove it from the start bar completely? I'm confused now.

1)Click Start, and then click Run. Then in the open box, type ” cmd ” without quotes and then click OK.

2)From an administrative command prompt, type “powercfg -h off” to get that space back.

Also, you can get more space by deleting old system restore points or disable it entirely.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm thinking of purchasing a bigger SSD, I have a question though, my primary drive is an SSD and I was wondering if the new SSD would lose any speed if it isn't the drive with the OS on it? I'm asking because I have been looking into it and I have seen some people mention that the speeds of an SSD are slower if it isn't the primary drive.

I went ahead and ordered it anyway, I'll test it myself. =p

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well just got an email and the Santa Clara Microcenter is closing =(. Sucks for all those in the bay looking to get a cheap cpu/mobo. They me saved so much money last year.

Dear Valued Micro Center Customer -

The staff of Santa Clara Micro Center and our entire company appreciates having you as a Customer, and we sincerely thank you for your ongoing business. It is therefore very difficult to let you know that our Santa Clara store is closing on Monday, July 23rd. Needless to say, we are very disappointed with unsuccessful attempts to negotiate an economically viable extension of our store lease, and we deeply regret not being able to fully serve you going forward.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well just got an email and the Santa Clara Microcenter is closing =(. Sucks for all those in the bay looking to get a cheap cpu/mobo. They me saved so much money last year.

wow, RIP MC, I knew about their lease but totally forgot about it, guess I'm not too surprised

*I've decided on the EVGA! So just say that was the best/obvious choice so I feel better. :D*

Alright last thing! I've decided on the 570gtx. Anyone got an idea which one is the best brand to get?

I'm between these two:
MSI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130595
EVGA:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127682

Leaning towards the EVGA (superclocked), but not too much experience with their company

Just this and then I'm ordering! Wooo! Thanks again for your help all :D

Adobe are switching their GPU accelleration to OpenCL, and when they support the 7850/7870 those cards will likely perform noticeably better than the 570 (although it could be a few months before Adobe get around to supporting the 7850/7870). Not entirely sure about Maya, etc.

Edit: With Maya you're pretty much stuck with the 570. The iray renderer uses CUDA, and even third party renderers like OctaneRender seem to all use CUDA as well. Scratch what I said above, go with the 570.
Thanks! Yea I've been hearing similar things. I'm going w/ that.

Wooo! I've ordered! Thanks everyone for your assistance, it was extremely helpful. Now the nervous waiting game!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not sure if there's some kind of tech support thread, so I'll post this here.

I've got a Dell Precision M4300, and it won't turn on properly. I press the power button, and the hard drive and bluetooth indicators appear for a few seconds, then turn off. The power button is visible, but the laptop itself doesn't seem to turn on. The disc drive makes its normal noise, and the fan operates normally.

It happened when I was exporting a video in Sony Vegas in the background, and while I was browsing the web, I inadvertently put the laptop into sleep mode. When I switched it back on, it was stuck on a black screen, with just the power button visible. After about 10 minutes, I switched it off via the power button, and now it's operating as I mentioned above.

So, could anyone offer some advice, please? I've tried removing the battery, but that doesn't seem to work.
First line in the OP.

Also it's fucked! Welcome to laptop ownership. Most likely it is a motherboard/power issue.
Take it into a repair shop.
Wait, you already picked the EVGA?

MSI Twin Frozr cooler is a lot more quiet and better.
eVGA and Corsair turn people into hiveminds. Branding 101.
Both their warranties are good though.

Everything looks good. If you're looking to overclock fairly high (4.4 upwards) ditch the MSI board and get the ASUS or ASRock one instead, the G43 isn't super amazing when it comes to overclocking (might just be the one off experience I had with it, but a friend could only reach 3.8Ghz on his G43).

750W is plenty, probably too much for non-SLI. I'd go for 600~ watts, but if you plan on SLI or keeping it in the future, 750W is grand.

Yeah, I'm looking to ensure I have enough wattage for a possible future SLI, or enough to reuse my PSU whenever I upgrade again.

This is almost the exact same rig I am building today. I will keep you posted.

Edit: I am using the AsRock Extreme4 ATX

Awesome! Do keep me posted.

Katoki

Basically going to use the next 9 hours or so to debate over this based on the following but need input based on performance and costs and what not.

1. Currently have a stock GTX 480 with one day left to step-up
2. Running a GTX 670 SC + Accelero Twin Turbo II on my rig
3. Want to pick up a BitFenix Prodigy + Mini-ITX board and use that sometime during September/October.

What'll happen is I'm thinking of going GTX 480 to 670 or 680.
- IF 670, will just replace the 480 in brother's computer.
- IF 680, will put the 670 SC + Accelero TT II in brother's computer and use stock 680 with BitFenix Prodigy build.

480 to 680 cost: $314.xx
480 to 670 cost: ~$214.xx

OR last but not least, none of the above, the 480 is fine, just buy an Icy Vision 2 cooler for it and overclock that sucker. I know it's a very capable card but also it's the end of the line for the step-up so it's now or never.

Thanks in advance.

Basically this, since I'm tempted to use the step-up because I can, but would it be feasible? It definitely is more cost effective to go with an Icy Vision 2 but then the 480 is still sitting at 1.5 GB memory, is somewhat power hungry and runs hot enough. Also, maybe about 7 hours to contemplate.

mkenyon

Banned
The power/heat savings alone would push me to it. 670 is still the best bang for the buck, but at the price of entry for a 680 you're looking at, I would not be able to say no despite the modest gains.

Also, you see the EVGA ITX board? Putting that in my Prodigy build for sure.

Katoki

The EVGA one looks much more ideal for those huge coolers people use on mATX and ATX boards. The ASRock Z77E-ITX one I was looking at needs me to buy an H60 or something for it since it's so close to the PCI slot. Wonder what the cost of it will end up as.

I'm actually really tempted to get the 680 and overclock it higher but at the same time there's no real need to at the moment. My 670 SC currently consistently stays at 1246 MHz boost but that's the extent it'll go while staying stable in Heaven Benchmark. I really doubt that a stock 670 will go much higher, but I've never bothered looking at the board of a reference EVGA 670 compared to the SC 670. I hear there's one more power phase for the SC but bah, I'd need to go look.

k3yring

Hey guys the urge to build a new computer just hit me about a week ago.
I have spent this last week going over parts over and over again and I think I have stuff finalized.
The one thing I am unsure of is if I should buy a new video card for this build as I bought an XFX 2GB 6870 earlier this year.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cQUc
Here is what I have so far I already have the Video Card, Power Supply and 2x Corsair Vengance 4GB sticks.

CSX

have a question. Is there really a future proof between upgrading to a 680 4gb over a gtx 680 2gb if you will only ever game on one monitor at 1080p?

mkenyon

Banned
The EVGA one looks much more ideal for those huge coolers people use on mATX and ATX boards. The ASRock Z77E-ITX one I was looking at needs me to buy an H60 or something for it since it's so close to the PCI slot. Wonder what the cost of it will end up as.

I'm actually really tempted to get the 680 and overclock it higher but at the same time there's no real need to at the moment. My 670 SC currently consistently stays at 1246 MHz boost but that's the extent it'll go while staying stable in Heaven Benchmark. I really doubt that a stock 670 will go much higher, but I've never bothered looking at the board of a reference EVGA 670 compared to the SC 670. I hear there's one more power phase for the SC but bah, I'd need to go look.
The power phases didn't help the 680s in the slightest, I doubt it makes much of a difference on the 670s as well. Actually I should say, it might have an effect, but it pales in comparison to the effect of chip lottery.
have a question. Is there really a future proof between upgrading to a 680 4gb over a gtx 680 2gb if you will only ever game on one monitor at 1080p?
Impossible to say. Maybe.

It is theoretically *more* future proof, but it might not be as well.

Katoki

The power phases didn't help the 680s in the slightest, I doubt it makes much of a difference on the 670s as well. Actually I should say, it might have an effect, but it pales in comparison to the effect of chip lottery.

Right, I completely forgot about the chips themselves.

If I did go 670, my next concern would be putting my own 670 SC WITH the Accelero Twin Turbo into the Prodigy because it's something like a 2.75-3 slot card now. I don't mind the fans being closer to the case edge since the air is more direct but I do mind if I can't close the case. I'd like to assume it'll fit from what I've seen. It's still a 2 slot card but takes up the space of 2.75-3.

mkenyon

Banned
Nope. They only do hard launches generally, so it'll all be vague until it hits.

*edit*

Got a user response before Bourne, the Accelero will not fit in there.

yamo

I received my replacement Dell UltraSharp U2711 today, the old one had a massive amount of defective pixels. Unfortunately the new screen must have been busted up or something as it is not level with my desk, and there is no pivot function to correct it. Guess I have to ship this one back as well. :(

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I received my replacement Dell UltraSharp U2711 today, the old one had a massive amount of defective pixels. Unfortunately the new screen must have been busted up or something as it is not level with my desk, and there is no pivot function to correct it. Guess I have to ship this one back as well. :(

I had so many issues with my ultrasharps. I owned 3 in the span of a year, they had amazing picture quality but would die on me very quickly.

mkenyon

Banned
Good lawd.

And people worry about the Korean IPS panels :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom