• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a fool, I made a whole thread just to ask this and was diverted here by the fine fellows at GAF.

I figured I'd ask Gaf since I aint exactly the most knowledgable on PCs to choose one myself. So, here goes. I really would like recommendations for a 32" HDTV that can be used as both a TV for console gaming as well as a monitor for the computer. I'm willing to spend up to £4-500 for it.

As for the tower/computer, it has to have atleast 8GB RAM and the Hard Drive at least 500GB. Basically a computer that can handle making music on software such as Fruity Loops and Pro Tools without any problems (e.g. Tearing/Slowdown like my current PC).

Oh, and an M-Audio Interface Sound Card for the music producing.

So, a £1000/$1500 spending limit with:

32" HDTV for both computer/games consoles
Computer/Tower with 8GB RAM and the Hard Drive at least 500GB.
M-Audio Interface Sound Card

I AM willing to build it up myself I suppose as its mainly for music producing and NOT gaming it should not require a high end graphics card.

Vik Vaughn pointed me towards THIS

Just for the record, I am based in the UK.

I hope I'm not asking for much, and it is possible within budget. I thank you all for the help in advance.

I don't have an answer, just wanted to quote you for the new page so your question doesn't get lost.

I'm about to put in my new card. There are two 3x2 ports to connect to the PSU. Do I need to use both of them? The instructions aren't very clear.

MisterNoisy

I don't have an answer, just wanted to quote you for the new page so your question doesn't get lost.

I'm about to put in my new card. There are two 3x2 ports to connect to the PSU. Do I need to use both of them? The instructions aren't very clear.

If your card has two 6-pin power connectors, you should connect them both.

RS4-

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12203/ The NZXT Switch 810

Qp7HN.jpg

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Damn those new Corsair cases look nice, but I'm still very happy with my week old 650D. Which by the way is currently holding the computer I'm posting from, just got a 7970 today! Imma defiantly gonna post some pictures later, but super thanks again everyone in this thread for helping me build my first computer!

Jharp

Godammit if I had just pissed $780 away on a new TV for filthy console peasant gamean, I'd build a new PC. Curses upon me.

I have a problem, hopefully someone can help me out. I built a PC for a friend, with an i5 2500k and P8P67 pro mobo. It worked fine for a few weeks, then all of a sudden lost power. Since then it would not turn back on. So after several months of warranty battles, they determined it was my mobo which I returned, and they "replaced" with another faulty one, so i returned the CPU and Mobo aswell, and they shipped back the same CPU and what they say is a new mobo. However, it still doesnt work. They (PCcasegear, where I bought everything), said they tested the CPU and it worked, so if it isnt the CPU, and its a new mobo... why isnt it booting up? All of the fans start up, ie case, GPU fans, CPU cooler fan etc, but it just doesnt boot. The CPU Led on the mobo is continuously flashing aswell. Any ideas on what might be the cause? I have a 700W PSU in there, so it shouldnt be power..
Anyone?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Perhaps try to clear the cmos and double check that the cpu 8-pin and 24-pin connectors from the psu are fully plugged in?

mkenyon

Banned
Have you followed all basic booting steps?

Like:
1. Try one stick of RAM, then the other.
2. Try different RAM.
3. Unplug everything that isn't required to post (HDD, GPU, soundcard, case, everything)
4. Try a different PSU
5. Ensure all power plugs are where they need to be (CPU EPS power, 24 pin mobo)
6. Clear CMOS.
7. Stop wearing wool socks on carpet and poking at the mobo. (kidding)

*edit*

Also try assembling it outside of the case and booting.

So I swear this is the last time I'm going to do this. I made some changes to my order. Here's my current shopping cart. Can you guys please look this over and make sure all pieces are compatible with one another, that I'm not missing anything, etc, etc. I appreciate all your help.

Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157241

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
Item #: N82E16819115078

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Item #: N82E16814102908

Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817139026

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231311

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136769

DVD Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119227

Monitor: Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
Item #: N82E16824009317

Speakers: Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - OEM
Item #: N82E16836121014

Keyboard: GIGABYTE Force K3 Matt Black USB 2.0 Wired Gaming Gaming Keyboard
Item #: N82E16823334012

Item #: N82E16832116986

Free with promos: Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 GMF-00046 Gold 1 x Wheel USB RF Wireless BlueTrack Mouse
Item #: N82E16826105442

And

G.SKILL 4GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG4GA-C4
Item #: N82E16820231509

My total is $827.88, and I have $45 in mail in rebates. My goal is basically to build a computer that as far as gaming goes will run Blizzard and Valve games well. I don't do much PC gaming outside of that. This is the first PC I've build and I'm pretty ignorant of the process. My other goal was also to spend as little money as possible. So basically, get as much as I can, for the least amount I can spend. Anyone who can make sure what I have is all compatible with the other parts, and a decent value, I really appreciate it. Also point out if I'm missing anything I'll need to put it together.

FoolsRun

So I swear this is the last time I'm going to do this. . .

Looks fine, though you might be able to save a few bucks. Instead of the RAM you listed, take a look at this. It appears to be the same thing but with a different heat sink, and there's a promo code through tomorrow to get it for $32 instead of the $42 you listed. You can also try promo code EMCNJJN28 to get $10 off the copy of Windows.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys. I'm building Hazard's Enthusiast build with the i7 2600k and a HD7970 whenever I can find them in stock on Newegg.

My question is whether or not it would be worth it to grab the Antec HCP-1200w power supply, with an eye towards doing HD7970 in Crossfire when I can afford a second card and 2560x1600 monitor later this year. My biggest concern is that I might see a CPU bottleneck.
Honestly I don't know. That PSU is good, so are the CM Gold's.
The X and AX850's can be overdrawn, and if I had 7970's I'd be drawing an extra 100W out of each from overvolting and overclocking them.
I know Smokey and others have run that type of wattage fine on solid 850W's and I'm more a fan of Seasonic over Cooler Master or Antec, but I don't know.
As long as you get a Gold PSU that costs more than $180 you should be good.

If I was buying 1k+ of video cards I'd probably get a 1k PSU just because I'd like to feel more free in overclocking.

Zapages

My New PC specs:

2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor
6MB cache and 3.0GHz processor speed
12GB DDR3 SDRAM
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
1.5TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
2 USB 3.0 ports and 8 USB 2.0 ports
16-in-1 media reader
Geforce GTX 560 Ti looks like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NVIDIA+...Card/2146823.p?id=1218312181329&skuId=2146823
Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W Power Supply ATX12V W0388RU :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RWJGHM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What do you guys think? How long will this last.

My old PC's specs, which I built myself back in 2003:

P4 2.6c GHz,
2.5 GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
500 GB Hard drive
Pioneer DVD-Rom
HP 8x CD-RW Writer

The old PC lasted me from 2003 to now with bunch of upgrades ie. the graphics card, RAM and hard drive- it started with
Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 Ultra
512 MB RAM
160 GB hard drive

mmxzero

Doing my first build and looking for some input! I'm shooting a little above the enhanced, using pcpartpicker. Will prices go down with new components coming out/ post holiday price spike? I'll buy components over the next couple weeks unless I should hold off. I want to OC at some point, probably won't do so immediately when I build it. Playing games like Portal 2, Deus Ex HR, Sonic Gens, Bioshock Infinite, Bulletstorm, Just Cause 2, maybe starcraft2/borderlands2, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $200
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 $130
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $43-47
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $85
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card $250 after rebate
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case $90 or Corsair 400r $90 after rebate
Power Supply: OCZ 550W ATX12V Power Supply (on sale today $35 after mir newegg ncix) or XFX 550W PRO550W $55 after mir
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19

My questions based around what I don't know, and where can I save money:
-Is this OCZ power supply good? Its on sale tonight and will buy it at newegg with the DVD drive since they're priced good.
-Is the MB fine? Is it worth getting something cheaper? USB 3.0 connector on board for for front ports needed?
-HDD just getting something good enough for now until prices come down
-Videocard, did a lot of comparing with 6950 1GB, 2GB, 560ti. One place said the extra GB on 6950 2GB doesnt do anything, other place shows a boost, other place said it can be firmwared into a 6970? Seem to do a little better than 560ti. Any expertise here much appreciated.
-Shooting too high on case? Want something solid that isnt too noisy, idk.
- Will think about a 23" monitor later
-$99 Windows 7 HP 64 bit the best I can do?

Thanks in advance! Excited to finally do this, I've been looking at this thread way too much.

Smokey

so i just sli'ed with 2 580's and I'm still not getting a smooth 60 with battlefield 3 on ultra, what gives?

You sure SLI is enabled via the Nvidia control panel? You have to manually go in and enable SLI when you install a second card.
If it is enabled, are you using the latest drivers?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
·feist·;34164174 said:
Corsair Obsidian Series 550D MSRP - $159.99

550d_side.png
550d_side_open.png

I looked on their site. Would I be correct in assuming the front of this case is a door in some way to allow access to the 5.25 bays? Which way does it open?

So, my computer seems to be having trouble running a few random things about games.

In Arkham Asylum, for example, it seems to have a lot of trouble running a decent framerate whenever trees and plants are present, which is a pretty big problem in the open parts, as well as a certain part later one.

Also, for the Witcher, anytime during cutscenes when an enemy is surrounded by some sort of magic, framerate during that cutscene drops immensely.

I also have the same problem of "framerate dropping massively in forested areas" in The Old Republic.

These are my specs:

i5 2500k overclocked to 4.0
8 gigs ram
AMD Radeon HD 6950

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the games (they aren't very demanding games by today's standards) or a weakness in my hardware. If there was something I need to upgrade, what would it be (RAM obviously isn't an issue)?

P.S. I have no idea how computers work, which is why I'm asking.

TheExodu5

Banned
Honestly I don't know. That PSU is good, so are the CM Gold's.
The X and AX850's can be overdrawn, and if I had 7970's I'd be drawing an extra 100W out of each from overvolting and overclocking them.
I know Smokey and others have run that type of wattage fine on solid 850W's and I'm more a fan of Seasonic over Cooler Master or Antec, but I don't know.
As long as you get a Gold PSU that costs more than $180 you should be good.

If I was buying 1k+ of video cards I'd probably get a 1k PSU just because I'd like to feel more free in overclocking.

Note that I was running an overclocked 2500K and 2x GTX 570 (not overclocked) on my AX850 and it started rebooting on me, even when not under load...had to RMA it.

Could be anecdotal and completely unrelated to the fact that I was pushing it, though.

Lanbeast

I built my computer about 2.5 years ago. It included:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
PQI TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel
EN9800GT HB/HTDI/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

I'm not 100% sure of the motherboard because it came as a combo with the processor and I'm at work right now. I want to get this ready in the next few months for Guild Wars 2 and I want it to run smooth. Should I be looking at rebuilding or can I upgrade the RAM and GPU to get the results I want?

edit: To clarify: I was thinking of updating with these:
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
GTX 560TI

Tattooth

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card and I am not sure what to get, my current specs are:

i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz
GTX 460 1GB
8GB G.Skill RAM

The GTX 460 is starting to struggle with newer releases, Battlefield 3 does not run smooth even on low-medium settings.

Would a GTX 560ti be a big enough of an upgrade for the price. What would be a big upgrade for £200-£250?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I am looking to upgrade my graphics card and I am not sure what to get, my current specs are:

i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz
GTX 460 1GB
8GB G.Skill RAM

The GTX 460 is starting to struggle with newer releases, Battlefield 3 does not run smooth even on low-medium settings.

Would a GTX 560ti be a big enough of an upgrade for the price. What would be a big upgrade for £200-£250?

I'd say wait a while and see AMD's mid-range options, I'm sure a potential 7870 or 7850 blows the 560 ti out of the water from a price/performance perspective.

FoolsRun

I built my computer about 2.5 years ago. It included:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
PQI TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel
EN9800GT HB/HTDI/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

edit: To clarify: I was thinking of updating with these:
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
GTX 560TI

You cannot use DDR3 in a motherboard built for DDR2 and vice-versa. If you wanted more RAM (and I personally think 4GB is fine for most older systems) you'd need to purchase more DDR2.

The 560ti would probably be a nice upgrade, though. And if you decided to upgrade your entire system later you could transfer the video card to the new build.

Lanbeast

You cannot use DDR3 in a motherboard built for DDR2 and vice-versa. If you wanted more RAM (and I personally think 4GB is fine for most older systems) you'd need to purchase more DDR2.

The 560ti would probably be a nice upgrade, though. And if you decided to upgrade your entire system later you could transfer the video card to the new build.

Alright, I'll have to check out my motherboard when I get home. I figured the GPU was the biggest thing in need of improvement. Thanks!

mug

i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz
GTX 460 1GB
8GB G.Skill RAM

I'd recommend the 560ti for the upgrade. However, I'm still using my GTX 460 for BF3 on High without problem: around 40-50fps. Something else might be bogging down your system.

TxdoHawk

So, my computer seems to be having trouble running a few random things about games.

In Arkham Asylum, for example, it seems to have a lot of trouble running a decent framerate whenever trees and plants are present, which is a pretty big problem in the open parts, as well as a certain part later one.

Also, for the Witcher, anytime during cutscenes when an enemy is surrounded by some sort of magic, framerate during that cutscene drops immensely.

I also have the same problem of "framerate dropping massively in forested areas" in The Old Republic.

These are my specs:

i5 2500k overclocked to 4.0
8 gigs ram
AMD Radeon HD 6950

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the games (they aren't very demanding games by today's standards) or a weakness in my hardware. If there was something I need to upgrade, what would it be (RAM obviously isn't an issue)?

P.S. I have no idea how computers work, which is why I'm asking.

I would try updating/downgrading your video card drivers, depending on what you're running. I'd bet this is the most likely culprit.

If that doesn't fix things, you might want to consider undoing the overclock temporarily and running stock, just to see if that fixes the problem. I haven't heard of such problems in a long time, but there used to be games back in the day that were fussy about running on overclocked hardware. You also could potentially be generating too much heat, and all that extra geometry could be causing your system to go over a heat threshold and induce throttling.

JJBro One

I'm not too happy with my sparkle 580 because its too loud and runs hot. Currently I have a msi 580 OC twin frozr 2. I was thinking about getting another one of those or an evga reference and overclocking it myself. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

I have an i5 750 with a crappy vga and a VANTEC 550W psu
I was thinking of buying a 560ti and a better psu
is corsair a good psu brand? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E98EI2/?tag=neogaf0e-20 I think its pretty cheap

also, what 560 ti would you recommend?
thanks!
MSI 560 Ti, and Hawk are around the best overall custom. EVGA if you want warranty. Get a lower wattage Bronze PSU for less, or lower wattage, higher spec Gold for about the same price.

I'd imagine I'll probably buy one to test it out. I'm a whore for Fractal and Corsair as of late.
You're going to end up: 1) Giving it to family/friends/random 2) Passing it to your lady 3) Using it for a random, superfluous build that you can do without.

$90 is too much for a case that's seemingly outclassed by the rest of the current range of choices. Considering how de-contented it is, the MSRP should likely be closer to HAF 912/BitFenix Shinobi territory, but we'll see.

So with the 550D...where the hell does the 500r fall in?

This is so lame. I'm motherboardless due to the RMA. Seriously trying to resist the temptation of going out and getting a Z68 motherboard and calling it a day.
In essence, 500R is to 550D, as 600T is to 650D. Same basic frame, different exterior, a few features added, increased price.

Awww shit, 550D looks nice. Makes me regret getting the Raven 03 a bit. Damnit.
Your RV03 has better stock air cooling, and more flexibility for water cooling.

I looked on their site. Would I be correct in assuming the front of this case is a door in some way to allow access to the 5.25 bays? Which way does it open?
Corsair Obsidian 550D live picks with open door.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/22228...t_to_market_with_550d_from_corsair/index.html
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1822/1/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So it's a 500r with noise reduction and a door (ew!). 300r would have been better if they could have priced it at $70-$75, don't see any reason not to recommend the 400r for $10 more.

Okay, so with my new graphics card, I started up Crysis and while it played better than it did with my old GPU, it would still drop in frame right often. Would this be more of a problem with the CPU (duo-core currently) or the memory (Not sure how much RAM my PC has)

Also, how exactly does memory work? If I were to replace the RAM I had, would there be any issue? I mean, is any actual data stored within the RAM, or is it a completely different kind of memory, and everything is stored on the HDD?

At this point, I'm getting close to just upgrading the whole damn thing.

Okay, I did something stupid. My sound wasn't working, so I went to reinstall my sound driver, and instead of going through the wizard, I just right-clicked and said "uninstall."

Now I have no idea where I go to find to reinstall it, and I don't remember what the name of the driver was.

Okay, I did something stupid. My sound wasn't working, so I went to reinstall my sound driver, and instead of going through the wizard, I just right-clicked and said "uninstall."

Now I have no idea where I go to find to reinstall it, and I don't remember what the name of the driver was.

go to device manager in control panel. Right click to top most option in the list( your pc name) and scan for hardware changes

mkenyon

Banned
·feist·;34190875 said:
You're going to end up: 1) Giving it to family/friends/random 2) Passing it to your lady 3) Using it for a random, superfluous build that you can do without.
Half the parts in my friends/team's builds were mine originally. It's what I do, being commie superman and all.

I don't have time (and will) to build myself a new PC. Question: how badly am I getting riped off on the following 1000EUR rig (US GAF assume it's 1000USD):

Acer Predator G3610

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600
GPU: GeForce GTX560Ti 1280MB
RAM: 12GB DDR3
HDD: 2TB

DVD-burner, Card Reader 8-in-1, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, Win7 HP, HDMI-out.

If it's so much it makes you cry inside - recommend me a place in Berlin I can build a nice rig.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so with my new graphics card, I started up Crysis and while it played better than it did with my old GPU, it would still drop in frame right often. Would this be more of a problem with the CPU (duo-core currently) or the memory (Not sure how much RAM my PC has)

Also, how exactly does memory work? If I were to replace the RAM I had, would there be any issue? I mean, is any actual data stored within the RAM, or is it a completely different kind of memory, and everything is stored on the HDD?

At this point, I'm getting close to just upgrading the whole damn thing.

Could be CPU or RAM. And RAM is volatile. When the PC goes off, the RAM is emptied. You can change the RAM without doing anything special, just have to make sure it's compatible (DDR2 in your case IIRC).

But really, there isn't any point in investing in an old Core2Duo rig unless it's something you can carry over (like your GPU/PSU), IMO.

So it's a 500r with noise reduction and a door (ew!). 300r would have been better if they could have priced it at $70-$75, don't see any reason not to recommend the 400r for $10 more.
It's Corsair.

No matter what they produce, no matter what it costs, people will buy it on that alone.

Scores of users lined up to buy Corsair Link = youcantexplainthat.meme

Half the parts in my friends/team's builds were mine originally. It's what I do, being commie superman and all.
You live in the US, though. That Red Menace stuff is not tolerated.
Hey, most Americans still don't even realize that their economy is chiefly a mix of Capitalism, and Socialism. Or, that everyone in the US willingly benefits from Socialism on a daily basis... but that's a topic for another day.

I'll be your random =)
Too late. Made his family adopt me at gunpoint. I don't require food, nor shelter. Only discarded tech toys.

scogoth

·feist·;34195874 said:
Too late. Made his family adopt me at gunpoint. I don't require food, nor shelter. Only discarded tech toys.

But I'm Canadian and all Canadians are fuzzy and adorable. I will use my superior maple syrup to woo him for tech parts.

On a more serious note the gold plated Apogee HD arrived today. It is glorious, I don't even care how much it cost.

Could be CPU or RAM. And RAM is volatile. When the PC goes off, the RAM is emptied. You can change the RAM without doing anything special, just have to make sure it's compatible (DDR2 in your case IIRC).

But really, there isn't any point in investing in an old Core2Duo rig unless it's something you can carry over (like your GPU/PSU), IMO.

I'll probably go out and get a decent case and everything with a quad-core as soon as I get the spare cash for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom