• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit. Just had a hard lock and had to hard reset while modifying a google doc.

Are there any other kinds of tests or diagnostics I can run to see what is going on? Could the video card cause hard locks as well?

Swapped out the ram with 16GB of Gskill ram (which I tested) and still having issues.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Also here is a snapshot of the bios settings when I rebooted to run Memtester on the Gskill ram a few hours ago after another crash:

Direct link: http://i.minus.com/iVZLJ5eY6xpqM.JPG

Would my power supply be causing these issues?

Sorry for the bump, but is there anything on here that looks off? How possible is it the fault of the Antec 550w power supply I have in there?

Sorry for the bump, but is there anything on here that looks off? How possible is it the fault of the Antec 550w power supply I have in there?

Nothing looks off as far as I can tell. If everything else looks fine then the PSU being at fault is a real possibility. Do you have a second PSU to test with?

hitmon

AI Suite shows the socket temp not the core temps

Thank you. Looking for recommendations. Between a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and Cooler Master TPC 812, which one would is recommended? Plan to overclock i7920 2.6 to around 3.4GHz? Is the TPC 812 worth the extra money?

JayDub

So Im going to take Haz's advice and get the 690II. I really want the white one but its sold out here in the US, but there is stock in the EU CM store. Question is, is there any difference with the EU version and the American version?

I ordered a Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt PSU and I will return the Antec 550w one I had in there. Worth a shot.

And the replacement GTX570 will be here tomorrow as well.

The joys of building PCs....

Leckan

How long is some years? That's extremely vague... And ram is so cheap it really doesn't matter. 8GB is more than enough for now and probably for a while and by then to add another 8gb will be even cheaper by then.

Say four? Will the exact same RAM be available then or would it just be better to buy it brand new then is the question.

Oxn

So Im going to take Haz's advice and get the 690II. I really want the white one but its sold out here in the US, but there is stock in the EU CM store. Question is, is there any difference with the EU version and the American version?

wow i never knew you could import thru the CM store in europe. if i knew i woulda bought the cm690II white version a few months back. but oo well i got another sick looking white case. however great for future reference.

Say four? Will the exact same RAM be available then or would it just be better to buy it brand new then is the question.

Yes? You think DDR3 will no longer be for sale? There might be newer but you'll have to upgrade your mobo and then by default your CPU so is it really worth mentioning?

wow i never knew you could import thru the CM store in europe. if i knew i woulda bought the cm690II white version a few months back. but oo well i got another sick looking white case. however great for future reference.
How much is it? I would think a good amount more than the US version?

mkenyon

Banned
So 8Gb or 16Gb if you're not upgrading for some years?
8GB of RAM is already overkill. It's in there as the 'low-end' option because its so fricken cheap, even compared to 4GB. With a ton of chrome tabs open, ancillary programs, mumble, and a game, you're not even looking at 3GB used.

So, 8GB is my answer.

Leckan

Yes? You think DDR3 will no longer be for sale? There might be newer but you'll have to upgrade your mobo and then by default your CPU so is it really worth mentioning?

I suppose you're right then. 8GB unless you're heavily into video editing and the like which I'm not.

I just wonder what PC ports of next-gen games will require. But that's another story I guess.

laika09

I bought 4gb of DDR2 on my last build in 2008 for $84.99. The same kit is still on Newegg for $54.99 (and comparable DDR2 800 are all around the same price).

Given that 8gb of DDR3 is the same price (or less), if history repeats itself then you're looking at saving (at most) $20 if you are sure that you will ever need more than 8gb. And worse case is that you won't be able to find compatible memory at all, or at non-marked-up prices.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

It would be cheaper to purchase it now than in 4 years when something new is out. At least, that is what happened when I was looking into upgrading the amount of ddr2 ram I had on an older computer.

MrBig

It would be cheaper to purchase it now than in 4 years when something new is out. At least, that is what happened when I was looking into upgrading the amount of ddr2 ram I had on an older computer.

DDR4 is 3 generations away from consumer use, coming with Skylake.

I suppose you're right then. 8GB unless you're heavily into video editing and the like which I'm not.

I just wonder what PC ports of next-gen games will require. But that's another story I guess.

I doubt it's using 8GB especially with the fucking halfassed as shit ports that companies have put out this gen. Even so you can upgrade even cheaper whenever that becomes a reality.

I got a few miscellaneous questions that I thought people can answer for me.

1. I bought this power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171048

It came with rubber padding that looks like you can attach it to the front and back of the power supply itself, but I did not add these in when I assembled the power supply in my case. What are these rubber padding for, exactly?

2. I see this red light emitting from my motherboard while my computer is on, but what is it?

3. My OS install is on my SSD, but I am not seeing any significant speed increase than if I were to use just a standard hard drive. Is there something I have to do first in order to enable a speed increase, or is it just me?

Thanks if someone answers these for me.

1. I bought this power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171048

It came with rubber padding that looks like you can attach it to the front and back of the power supply itself, but I did not add these in when I assembled the power supply in my case. What are these rubber padding for, exactly?

2. I see this red light emitting from my motherboard while my computer is on, but what is it?

3. My OS install is on my SSD, but I am not seeing any significant speed increase than if I were to use just a standard hard drive. Is there something I have to do first in order to enable a speed increase, or is it just me?

Thanks if someone answers these for me.

Is it in the picture? Are there any mounting holes? All your questions are extrememly vague...

What red light? Is there a green one lit also? Did you look in the manual that tells you what all the lights on the mobo mean?

If you don't see a speed increase then I don't know what to tell you. It's significantly fast, especially from being off to booting into windows. There's also no wait to open programs and waiting for system tray to load... I'm not sure how you can't notice a difference.

cackhyena

I really don't get how you don't notice a difference.

BooJoh

I'm thinking about building a new PC. I've had bad luck with homebuilt PCs before, I've been happy with Dell, but they just seem so much more expensive for what you're getting these days.

My Current Specs: Dell XPS DXP051 / P4 3.20GHz 3.19GHz / 2.5GB RAM / GeForce 9400 GT

Budget: Trying to keep it under $1k when all's said and done
Main Use: All-purpose, with a heavy gaming focus, PS3 Media Server to stream HD video to my PS3, HD youtube/etc
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200, often play games windowed at around 720p with Steam/Chrome in the background.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Skyrim, WoW(I'm getting worse performance in beta now and I drop below 1 FPS in LFR on Ultraxion)
Looking to reuse any parts?: Just monitor, kb, mouse, speakers, and probably my 700GB WD Caviar Black SATA HD (secondary, not for my OS.)
When will you build?: I should have the money to order parts in early August, would like to have the system ready before GW2 launch.
Will you be overclocking? No

Using the OP as a reference, here's the parts list I've come up with:

• Intel Core i5-3570​K Quad-Co​re Process​or 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637​I53570K​
  • ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherb​oard
  • Corsair​ Vengean​ce Low Profile​ 8 GB (2x4GB)​ PC3-128​00 1600mhz​ 240-Pin​ DDR3 Dual Channel​ Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3​M2A1600​C9
  • HIS Radeon HD 6870 1 GB (256bit​) GDDR5 Display​Port HDMI 2x DVI (HDCP) PCI Express​ X16 2.1 Video Card H687FN1​GD
  • SAMSUNG​ Spinpoi​nt F3 HD103SJ​ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s​ 3.5" Interna​l Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular​ Power Supply
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912​-KKN1)
  • Asus 24xDVD-​RW Serial ATA Interna​l OEM Drive DRW-24B​1ST (Black)​

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here, other than, obviously, an OS. I'm looking at $776.98 total for this build so far.

I'm not sure what my best option is for Windows 7. I'm wary of buying an OEM disc because I've had motherboards fail on me before and adding another $90 to that if it happens again would not be pleasant. I do have an unused copy of XP Pro lying around and I'm not sure if the Windows 7 Upgrade edition combined with that would have any limitations compared to just shelling out the extra for the Windows 7 Home Premium retail box.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have mid-level knowledge of PC hardware, but I'm not that familiar with modern PC tech. I'll have help with putting it all together once I have the parts so that shouldn't be an issue.

MrBig

Looks solid except maybe switch the 6870 to a 6850. Gains are minimal iirc.

1920x1200, often play games windowed at around 720p with Steam/Chrome in the background.
Use the rest of the $1k budget to get another monitor and stop doing that. Or get an SSD. Or both.

CatPee

I'm thinking about building a new PC. I've had bad luck with homebuilt PCs before, I've been happy with Dell, but they just seem so much more expensive for what you're getting these days.

My Current Specs: Dell XPS DXP051 / P4 3.20GHz 3.19GHz / 2.5GB RAM / GeForce 9400 GT

Budget: Trying to keep it under $1k when all's said and done
Main Use: All-purpose, with a heavy gaming focus, PS3 Media Server to stream HD video to my PS3, HD youtube/etc
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200, often play games windowed at around 720p with Steam/Chrome in the background.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Skyrim, WoW(I'm getting worse performance in beta now and I drop below 1 FPS in LFR on Ultraxion)
Looking to reuse any parts?: Just monitor, kb, mouse, speakers, and probably my 700GB WD Caviar Black SATA HD (secondary, not for my OS.)
When will you build?: I should have the money to order parts in early August, would like to have the system ready before GW2 launch.
Will you be overclocking? No

Using the OP as a reference, here's the parts list I've come up with:
  • Intel Core i5-3570​K Quad-Co​re Process​or 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637​I53570K​
  • ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherb​oard
  • Corsair​ Vengean​ce Low Profile​ 8 GB (2x4GB)​ PC3-128​00 1600mhz​ 240-Pin​ DDR3 Dual Channel​ Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3​M2A1600​C9
  • HIS Radeon HD 6870 1 GB (256bit​) GDDR5 Display​Port HDMI 2x DVI (HDCP) PCI Express​ X16 2.1 Video Card H687FN1​GD
  • SAMSUNG​ Spinpoi​nt F3 HD103SJ​ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s​ 3.5" Interna​l Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular​ Power Supply
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912​-KKN1)
  • Asus 24xDVD-​RW Serial ATA Interna​l OEM Drive DRW-24B​1ST (Black)​

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here, other than, obviously, an OS. I'm looking at $776.98 total for this build so far.

I'm not sure what my best option is for Windows 7. I'm wary of buying an OEM disc because I've had motherboards fail on me before and adding another $90 to that if it happens again would not be pleasant. I do have an unused copy of XP Pro lying around and I'm not sure if the Windows 7 Upgrade edition combined with that would have any limitations compared to just shelling out the extra for the Windows 7 Home Premium retail box.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have mid-level knowledge of PC hardware, but I'm not that familiar with modern PC tech. I'll have help with putting it all together once I have the parts so that shouldn't be an issue.

Looks good. Though if you won't ever overclock, you can cut a lot of cost by going with just an i5-2400 or 3550 and a slightly cheaper motherboard. I also suggest bumping up the video card to a 7850 for extra performance.

Edgeward

Hmm, hard to pinpoint what the deal with my screen turning black is. This time sound was definitely playing when it went black (using a sound card btw). Couldn't get anything to show up on screen though.

Gonna switch out hdmi cords and see if that helps.

Ceebs

They are probably for vibration reduction. Since the PSU has a fan, it could cause some minor vibration when spinning adding to case noise.

Use the rest of the $1k budget to get another monitor and stop doing that. Or get an SSD. Or both.
Also this. Get a second monitor if you want to keep a web browser visible while you are gaming. I can't stand playing games in a window.

Ostinatto

im from chile , im trying to build the enthusiast - little extra from OT, this is the closest i can get from here. already have a 1080p 60hz monitor, and external roland ua-25 audio interface and a HDD 1T WB.

CPU i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) $419
MOBO Asus P8Z77-V PRO LGA1155 $294
RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)DDR3 1600 $95
VIDEO EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB $588
SSD CRUCIAL M4 256GB 2.5" SYM $324
PSU Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-650 650W $118
CASE Antec P280 Black ATX Mid $128
COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 2011 $46

total: $2012

650w psu is enough for this build?

thanks guys again

Iacobellis

im from chile , im trying to build the enthusiast - little extra from OT, this is the closest i can get from here. already have a 1080p 60hz monitor, and external roland ua-25 audio interface and a HDD 1T WB.

thanks guys again

Should be enough, I went with a 750W for my first build but my parts are almost the same as yours. I just want to stay safe in case I ever want to do any major upgrades. I'm not sure about card prices and availability in Chile, but the EVGA 670 FTW offers the performance of a 680 at around the same price as a reference 670.

ScRYeD

thanks guys again
Yes a 650w pay will be enough.

I thought prices for computer parts in Australia was bad but God damn that's rough.

Ostinatto

Should be enough, I went with a 750W for my first build but my parts are almost the same as yours. I just want to stay safe in case I ever want to do any major upgrades. I'm not sure about card prices and availability in Chile, but the EVGA 670 FTW offers the performance of a 680 at around the same price as a reference 670.

there is no GTX 670 FTW in Chile :(

MSI GEFORCE N680GTX TWIN FROZR OC PCIE16X DX11 SLI 2GB $746

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express $792

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 5850, and want to use 3 monitors (2 monitors/1 TV).

Apparently I need an active adapter for displayport to HDMI/DVI. Newegg seems to have several for $20-$30, any suggestions or should I just go with one that has good ratings?

Jaxter09

Helping a friend out with his first gaming PC. How does this look? (already have a HDD, prices in AU)
pcxtxzt.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why is that PSU so expensive? It should be closer to $70. All the other prices look comparable to US prices.

Last time I checked for people, it seemed like PSUs were a lot more expensive outside North America. Sometimes double the price when converting the currency.

Unless you're referring to the AU price specifically being high.

Also, is the Bluray drive really necessary? Unless he's watching or ripping movies on the PC there's really not much reason to get that over a DVD drive.

BSherrod

I think I'm about to slowly start piecing together a PC for some gaming since through my job I can get the Sandy Bridge i7 3930k for $179. I'm leaning more towards a budget build or piecing it together part by part over the next few months. Any suggestions on a motherboard and card? If there's something down the pipeline that'll be a much better deal then I'd have no problem waiting on it. I'm guessing I want to be in $700-$800 range at the end of the day. I'd like to do 1080p TV and watch Blu-rays. Thanks.

CatPee

It is an extra $20, then he would need a dedicated CPU cooler as well right? Is there that much of a performance boost with an OC?

It's pretty worth it to have a K-model so he has the option of OCing to lengthen the usability of the processor. If he doesn't intend to OC right away, he doesn't need a cooler.

kharma45

It is an extra $20, then he would need a dedicated CPU cooler as well right? Is there that much of a performance boost with an OC?

It only requires a dedicated cooler if you want to OC, but it's nice to have the option even if you're not going to do it straight off, and a better cooler isn't an expensive purchase.

Yeah OCing is well worth doing, you do get a good performance boost from it.

As already asked, is the BR drive really needed?

Jburton

Banned
So ..... I set a custom fan profile in Afterburner, saved it and applied it.

A little later I installed company of heroes and ran the benchmark, it ran perfectly but after I checked afterburner to see the temps and it had peaked at 98c!

The custom fan profile had not worked, it had stayed at its lowest setting.

GPU (670) works fine, no problems but I wonder if there is a chance I have killed it?

Thraktor

You can overclock with a stock cooler, it's just going to be quite a bit noisier, and you won't be able to push the clock speed quite as high.

Will Intel introduce a new socket next year? I'm pretty sure new CPUs are coming, but what socket will they be using?

Yep, they're moving to LGA1150 for Haswell (and presumably Broadwell in 2014).

Jaxter09

It's pretty worth it to have a K-model so he has the option of OCing to lengthen the usability of the processor. If he doesn't intend to OC right away, he doesn't need a cooler.

It only requires a dedicated cooler if you want to OC, but it's nice to have the option even if you're not going to do it straight off, and a better cooler isn't an expensive purchase.

Yeah OCing is well worth doing, you do get a good performance boost from it.

As already asked, is the BR drive really needed?

Thanks guys, will go with the 3570k + Hyper 212 EVO. He wants the blu-ray drive to watch movies.

Akkad

Banned
You can overclock with a stock cooler, it's just going to be quite a bit noisier, and you won't be able to push the clock speed quite as high.

Yep, they're moving to LGA1150 for Haswell (and presumably Broadwell in 2014).

SHOCKING NEWS, lol. I'll just wait another year, and just upgrade my GPU for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom