• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eiolon

Doesn't M4 suck compared to others though?

not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought this GTX 280 SC would be too old to run BF3 decently, but it's been a pleasant experience. Running on high settings @ 1080p with only 8x AA and no AO provides a nice smooth framerate and it still looks pretty good as well. Made me realize that you don't have to have the latest hardware to enjoy the latest games. :)

Nah. Crucial, Samsung, and Intel are the big three to get when it comes to SSDs.

Does Crucial use something other than sandforce then? I thought they were in the group of the crappy sandforce but apparently I'm remembering incorrectly. Which would you get for the $10 price difference? Crucial or samsung?

I'm still bitter I don't have the 256GB I ordered because of bhphoto fucking up. :/ Doubtful on a 256 sale like this though.

Bombadil

Banned
I thought this GTX 280 SC would be too old to run BF3 decently, but it's been a pleasant experience. Running on high settings @ 1080p with only 8x AA and no AO provides a nice smooth framerate and it still looks pretty good as well. Made me realize that you don't have to have the latest hardware to enjoy the latest games. :)

Exactly. Which is why enthusiast high end cards are a waste of money. Almost always.

Spl1nter

Exactly. Which is why enthusiast high end cards are a waste of money. Almost always.

Hmm....

Anyway, for some reason I doubt this as the 280 ~ 460 and you definitely cant run high with a good framerate on a 460.

Need insight. Bro's picking a laptop. He found very similarly specced laptops, only differing in GPUs.
1) 640M DDR3
2) 640M LE DDR5 (+$60)

The difference is that #2 has a slower core clock, but better memory clock. I cannot find any benchmark comparing the two. Is it worth the extra $60?

Petrie

Banned
So I got my new SSD and Windows install up and running, and my old drive has been reformatted and setup as the slave drive. Everything was working great for a day or so, then last night, suddenly the computer did a restart when I wasn't in the room, and during the boot goes to a black screen and says "Active partition not found, press any key". When I do as it says and press a key it does boot just fine, but I'd like to fix whatever the issue is.

Google told me to simply activate the drive in diskpart, but that didn't resolve it.

mkenyon

Banned
http://www.inet.se/produkt/6308505/noctua-nf-p12-1300

Is this fan okay for case cooling, or is it exclusively meant for cpu heatsinks?

v----Perfect, thanks!
That's designed for heatsinks. The NF-S12 is the one designed specifically for case fans.
So I got my new SSD and Windows install up and running, and my old drive has been reformatted and setup as the slave drive. Everything was working great for a day or so, then last night, suddenly the computer did a restart when I wasn't in the room, and during the boot goes to a black screen and says "Active partition not found, press any key". When I do as it says and press a key it does boot just fine, but I'd like to fix whatever the issue is.

Google told me to simply activate the drive in diskpart, but that didn't resolve it.
Has this happened multiple times?

Hey guys, I'm getting a CPU fan not detected error on start-up but I can see the CPU fan spinning and the CPU itself is idling at around 29 degrees so I guess its working?

I'm using a Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz CPU on a P8Z77-V DELUXE mobo with a Thermaltake Macho CPU cooler.

Any idea of what I can do to fix it?

mkenyon

Banned
Just disable it then.

In other news:

Report: AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB Ready To Launch

Originally scheduled for a June launch, AMD is apparently still finalizing the product is now rumored to be prepping a launch at GamesCon in Cologne, Germany, between August 15 and 19.

Drives me nuts they call these '6GB', like the 690 as '4GB'. Seems so very dishonest.

Thraktor

Just disable it then.

In other news:

Report: AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB Ready To Launch

Drives me nuts they call these '6GB', like the 690 as '4GB'. Seems so very dishonest.

It puzzles me a bit why they don't configure the GPUs to share RAM on dual-GPU cards. I assume there's some technical reason for it, but it seems a waste of money to include 6GB worth of GDDR5 chips when they're just storing the same 3GB of data twice.

scogoth

It puzzles me a bit why they don't configure the GPUs to share RAM on dual-GPU cards. I assume there's some technical reason for it, but it seems a waste of money to include 6GB worth of GDDR5 chips when they're just storing the same 3GB of data twice.
Both GPUs need to have their own memory to do their own calculations before they put the image together and display it. The data that each card is using for its calculations is different and thus they each require their own memory. They are quite literally sticking two independant cards in one board so sharing isnt so easy...

Its unfortunate marketers seem to find every way to lie to customers. Storage measurements are downright wrong.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd imagine it has to do with bandwidth. Having GPU2 access the RAM from GPU1 doesn't have the speeds required to operate efficiently.

Noaloha

My Arc Midi arrived today! Woo, etc.!

So I've three weeks to tinker around with it before finishing things off with storage and OS. I may or may not pester the thread with inane trivialities during this period. Apologies in advance if so.

First up, a question about dust filters and exhausts! :)

I'm plopping a H100 in the case, topside, with 2x NF-F12. This'll be the case exhaust. (Other fans will all be intake assuming no-one tells me this is a dumb-dumb idea; 2x 140mm Fractal fans in the front, the other 140 Fractal in the top rear and one of the 120mm Corsair (H100) fans in the bottom.)

Question then: the Arc has the inbuilt dust filter lining in the top tray. Should I be cutting a 120mmx240mm hole in this dust filter to accommodate (ie. not interfere with) the NF-F12's exhaust airflow and allow rogue dust particles easier passage in being blown out?

(Also, there was talk above of NF-P12 being heatsink fans and NF-S12s being case fans. I didn't know this was a thing! Are the NF-F12s suitable for radiator/heatsink usage?)

mkenyon

Banned
Don't bother with the Corsair fan. Two Fractal 140s in the front with the two NF-F12's in the top would be plenty. If you have a non-reference videocard that exhausts air into the case, then toss the other Fractal 140 on the side panel as an intake. Otherwise, leave it out.

Yes, removing the top filter is a great idea, and you might as well remove the plastic grille that holds it in place while you are at it.

NF-F12's are indeed their radiator fans.

*edit*

Also, be sure to remove as many drive cages as possible. If you only have an SSD in the system, then go ahead and remove both. You can then mount the SSD in the optical bay, or on the back of the motherboard tray even with some double sided tape.

Noaloha

Cheers for the quick response. Videocard is a 7970 DCUII so the side panel grill don't need no fan. In fact, I kinda wish the open grill wasn't there to be honest! My main reason for having the extra Corsair fan as intake was in a bid to ensure positive pressure because I was concerned about 'neutral air' being sucked in through that grill.

Is having top-rear as intake a problem? If the GPU is exhausting out the back I assume that its hot air will rise and make up a large part of the air that'll then be sucked in. Is this something to be concerned with or am I over-thinking/worrying? (Incidentally, the motherboard I have has a low RPM 40mm 'assistant fan' functioning as intake situated on the I/O board, so that's also situated directly above the GPU exhaust.)

EDIT: tidied up and fleshed out a few sentences

Petrie

Banned

Has this happened multiple times?

I assume my response was overlooked. It is happening now every time I reboot the PC. Simply pressing a key does bypass it each time, but the issue remains.

Spl1nter

I bought a Bitfenix Shinobi case. The psu is bottom mounted and there is a grill on the bottom of the case. Should I mount the psu fan down? I would think so to help remove negative air pressure, right as you normally want air being pulled out from the top/rear?

mkenyon

Banned
Cheers for the quick response. Videocard is a 7970 DCUII so the side panel grill don't need no fan. In fact, I kinda wish the open grill wasn't there to be honest! My main reason for having the extra Corsair fan as intake was in a bid to ensure positive pressure because I was concerned about 'neutral air' being sucked in through that grill.

Is having top-rear as intake a problem? If the GPU is exhausting out the back I assume that its hot air will rise and make up a large part of the air that'll then be sucked in. Is this something to be concerned with or am I over-thinking/worrying? (Incidentally, the motherboard I have has a low RPM 40mm 'assistant fan' functioning as intake situated on the I/O board, so that's also situated directly above the GPU exhaust.)

EDIT: tidied up and fleshed out a few sentences
The DCII doesn't exhaust out of the back, it exhaust into your case, though some will indeed exhaust out of the back. The PSU heat will also exhaust out of the back.

Because of these, your best bet is to actually put the third Fractal fan on the side panel. This will push air out of the rear and top, as well as give your GPU fresh air to work with.

I assume my response was overlooked. It is happening now every time I reboot the PC. Simply pressing a key does bypass it each time, but the issue remains.
Sorry!

Sounds like bootmgr was corrupted or something fishy is going on there. Might consider trying to repair it, or alternatively, make sure that the correct drive is listed as the #1 boot option.

I bought a Bitfenix Shinobi case. The psu is bottom mounted and there is a grill on the bottom of the case. Should I mount the psu fan down? I would think so to help remove negative air pressure, right as you normally want air being pulled out from the top/rear?
Yeah, that's why I have them mounted as such. It essentially removes PSU air flow from case air flow.

SYNTAX182

So I got my new SSD drive. Kingston 120GB. I successfully installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Restarted and hooked up my old IDE drive w/ a Sata converter. It used to work before the fresh install, but the IDE drive is not being recognized in BIOS or within Windows 7 now.

I tried to search google for answers, but there's too many varying topics on this. Maybe some kind of driver issue? I can hook up a DVD drive in the same Sata port, and it will read the DVD drive though, so I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

mkenyon

Banned
IDE does not work in ACHI mode, which is required for the SSD. If you have two separate motherboard controllers, you can plug in your IDE drive to the other controller and change it to IDE in BIOS.

Noaloha

The DCII doesn't exhaust out of the back, it exhaust into your case, though some will indeed exhaust out of the back. The PSU heat will also exhaust out of the back.

Because of these, your best bet is to actually put the third Fractal fan on the side panel. This will push air out of the rear and top, as well as give your GPU fresh air to work with.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was under the impression the DCUII would spew the lion's share of its heat out back.

I have no idea if I'll come up with a fan set-up that I'm content with, ha.

mkenyon

Banned
Really, we're talking about a few degrees here and there, as well as possibly reduced dust.

As long as you do your cable management right, I wouldn't fret too much. If tinkering with it and testing temps in different configurations is something that sounds appealing, then run some stress tests at similar ambient temperatures and get an idea for what works best.

SYNTAX182

IDE does not work in ACHI mode, which is required for the SSD. If you have two separate motherboard controllers, you can plug in your IDE drive to the other controller and change it to IDE in BIOS.

Ah, makes sense. I'll try it when I get home from work. Thanks.

kharma45

Cheers.

No matter how it turns out to be it should be the new mid range card to beat. Dunno what AMD can do besides play price wars against 6xx.

I'll wait for a few more reviews yet, that one doesn't seem all that reliable tbh.

If I was AMD I'd refresh the cards to all be GHz editions and maybe another small price cut.

mkenyon

Banned
What sort of issues would there be with using it as a case fan? It's the only one in stock.
Some can emit all sorts of strange noises and weird quirks when not paired with a radiator or heatsink. I know that is the case for sure with the NF-F12s, I'm not certain about the P12's.

Smokey

So I want a new case. After weeks of reading and watching video reviews I have come to the conclusion that the Switch 810 might be the one. Tons of air cooling and from what I've seen there are a lot of possibilities when putting it under water. I feel like this would suit my system better than the 500r..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom