• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm thinking about building a new PC. I've had bad luck with homebuilt PCs before, I've been happy with Dell, but they just seem so much more expensive for what you're getting these days.

• Intel Core i5-3570​K Quad-Co​re Process​or 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637​I53570K​
  • ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherb​oard
  • Corsair​ Vengean​ce Low Profile​ 8 GB (2x4GB)​ PC3-128​00 1600mhz​ 240-Pin​ DDR3 Dual Channel​ Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3​M2A1600​C9
  • HIS Radeon HD 6870 1 GB (256bit​) GDDR5 Display​Port HDMI 2x DVI (HDCP) PCI Express​ X16 2.1 Video Card H687FN1​GD
  • SAMSUNG​ Spinpoi​nt F3 HD103SJ​ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s​ 3.5" Interna​l Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular​ Power Supply
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912​-KKN1)
  • Asus 24xDVD-​RW Serial ATA Interna​l OEM Drive DRW-24B​1ST (Black)​

Any advice would be appreciated. I have mid-level knowledge of PC hardware, but I'm not that familiar with modern PC tech. I'll have help with putting it all together once I have the parts so that shouldn't be an issue.
If you are reusing your cav black, drop the Spinpoint F3 and get a 120/128GB SSD when one goes on sale for <$100, which happens at least once a week. SSD will completely change your performance in WoW and GW2.

If you need to pinch here and there, drop the DVD drive altogether, and the 3570K for a 2500K. Put everything else you can into a better video card. GW2 is pretty demanding, even my 690 dips in places. I'd go for a 7870, 7950, or 670 if possible.
Is there a reason you guys recommend the EVGA 570 instead of the MSI version with its cooling system? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008809SUM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Brand affiliation/loyalty. The Twin Frozr is better in all respects.
im from chile , im trying to build the enthusiast - little extra from OT, this is the closest i can get from here. already have a 1080p 60hz monitor, and external roland ua-25 audio interface and a HDD 1T WB.

CPU i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) $419
MOBO Asus P8Z77-V PRO LGA1155 $294
RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)DDR3 1600 $95
VIDEO EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB $588
SSD CRUCIAL M4 256GB 2.5" SYM $324
PSU Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-650 650W $118
CASE Antec P280 Black ATX Mid $128
COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 2011 $46

total: $2012

650w psu is enough for this build?

thanks guys again
650 Plenty. If you want to drop the price a bit, could look at a less expensive 128GB SSD paired with a 500GB or 1TB HDD. Could also go with a different case. Try to buy low profile RAM if possible.
there is no GTX 670 FTW in Chile :(

MSI GEFORCE N680GTX TWIN FROZR OC PCIE16X DX11 SLI 2GB $746

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express $792
Are there any 670s? Not just FTW.
Helping a friend out with his first gaming PC. How does this look? (already have a HDD, prices in AU)
pcxtxzt.png
I'd drop the Blu Ray drive and put that money into a better videocard. Also, the 'K' variant, if nothing else, will change the system from having a hard time reselling it to making it fairly easy. OC'ing though, is 20-30% linear performance increase by modifying two values in BIOS.
I think I'm about to slowly start piecing together a PC for some gaming since through my job I can get the Sandy Bridge i7 3930k for $179. I'm leaning more towards a budget build or piecing it together part by part over the next few months. Any suggestions on a motherboard and card? If there's something down the pipeline that'll be a much better deal then I'd have no problem waiting on it. I'm guessing I want to be in $700-$800 range at the end of the day. I'd like to do 1080p TV and watch Blu-rays. Thanks.
OP.
how bad is the vanilla GTX 670 vs GTX 670 FTW?
Gigabyte Windforce is better than both.

mkenyon

Banned
You need the same card pretty much. There are some instances where you can use two 'different' cards, but it's because those two cards are pretty much the same thing.

Totally different architecture and generation between the 480 and 560, so definitely no way.

steadfast

It's been 2 years almost to the day since I built my last machine and I'm starting to get that itch.

It's an i5 750 with 8GB of RAM. I assume there's no real reason to go to a 3570, right?

New video card should be fine, no worries about the 750 being a bottle neck, yeah?

Currently have a 5850 and prefer to game at 19x12

mkenyon

Banned
Overclock your 750, get a decent cooler for it. There are some games that require fairly high clocks to maintain a healthy minimum framerate, mostly UE3 and some Blizzard games.

You could probably benefit from a new videocard with 2GB or more of RAM because of your resolution. 7950 would be a great upgrade. Only do it if you are feeling like there are some games you want to run better.

CatPee

It's been 2 years almost to the day since I built my last machine and I'm starting to get that itch.

It's an i5 750 with 8GB of RAM. I assume there's no real reason to go to a 3570, right?

New video card should be fine, no worries about the 750 being a bottle neck, yeah?

You're fine with that processor, and even better with an overclock. Even Phenom II x4s aren't much of a bottleneck nowadays for most games. 2GB VRAM at that res is good.

kharma45

Yeah I'd recommend an overclock, I stuck my 750 at 3.8GHz without too much effort, couldn't get it any higher as my mobo didn't seem to like it.

For a GPU something like a 7950 would be a good buy as already mentioned if you want to upgrade your GPU but I'd imagine a 5850 is still fine for the most part.

Looked into overclocking your 5850 at all?

steadfast

Overclock your 750, get a decent cooler for it. There are some games that require fairly high clocks to maintain a healthy minimum framerate, mostly UE3 and some Blizzard games.

You could probably benefit from a new videocard with 2GB or more of RAM because of your resolution. 7950 would be a great upgrade. Only do it if you are feeling like there are some games you want to run better.

You're fine with that processor, and even better with an overclock. Even Phenom II x4s aren't much of a bottleneck nowadays for most games. 2GB VRAM at that res is good.

Thank you. I'll check out overclocking. I have the CM 212 on it already since I've had two intel fan/hs crap out on me on previous builds.

I went batshit during the steam sale and most things seem to run all right on medium settings, but Anno 2070 is slowing things down some. Would be nice to run on High or Ulta, though.

Yeah I'd recommend an overclock, I stuck my 750 at 3.8GHz without too much effort, couldn't get it any higher as my mobo didn't seem to like it.

For a GPU something like a 7950 would be a good buy as already mentioned if you want to upgrade your GPU but I'd imagine a 5850 is still fine for the most part.

Looked into overclocking your 5850 at all?

Sort of, I tried the factory tweaker thing that came with it (XFX) and all it did was lock up my machine so I left it alone. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Momentary

Banned
I've got enough "play around" money set aside to finally and try to attempt TO build my first desktop since 2006. This time I'm looking to build my dream machine, but I'm so lost with how things are nowadays that I'm looking for suggestions as to what I need or if I should wait.

I already have a rig somewhat put together on Newegg, but I need a few suggestions as to what I need and don't need from the GAF community. Another thing is, before I continue on, should I just wait for the GTX 700 series or am I good to go with not having to worry with a HUGE leap in GPU advancement for a while. I really want this rig to last me through the next console war.

Anyway this is what I have so far:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17465571

Any suggestions are welcome. A friend of mine suggested water cooling, but if I'm not overclocking anything should I even mess with it?

mkenyon

Banned
Thank you. I'll check out overclocking. I have the CM 212 on it already since I've had two intel fan/hs crap out on me on previous builds.

I went batshit during the steam sale and most things seem to run all right on medium settings, but Anno 2070 is slowing things down some. Would be nice to run on High or Ulta, though.
Yep, Anno is one of those games that is very processor dependent.
I've got enough "play around" money set aside to finally and try to attempt TO build my first desktop since 2006. This time I'm looking to build my dream machine, but I'm so lost with how things are nowadays that I'm looking for suggestions as to what I need or if I should wait.

I already have a rig somewhat put together on Newegg, but I need a few suggestions as to what I need and don't need from the GAF community. Another thing is, before I continue on, should I just wait for the GTX 700 series or am I good to go with not having to worry with a HUGE leap in GPU advancement for a while. I really want this rig to last me through the next console war.

Anyway this is what I have so far:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17465571

Any suggestions are welcome. A friend of mine suggested water cooling, but if I'm not overclocking anything should I even mess with it?
So, you will be overclocking.

Coming from a guy who has a 3820 and a X79 motherboard, it's really something that is intended for enthusiast overclockers and multimedia use. For gaming, you want to go with a Z77 and a 3570K. The question right now is whether or not the next generation of games will be 'n-threaded', meaning that they can use as many threads as your processor has. As it is right now, there is literally zero benefit with an i7 over an i5, and it will most likely stay that way for at least a few years.

In addition to that, there's no guarantee that the 3820 and X79 board will be 'flashable' to PCI-E 3.0. You want PCI-E 3.0 if you're getting a 690, as it is fairly bottlenecked by PCI-E 2.0. Z77 and 3570K/3770K support 3.0 out of the box.

On motherboard choices, I'd really stay away from the high end RoG stuff unless you are looking at serious overclocking. There's a lot of features and general things on those boards that make them really hard to use unless you know your way around a motherboard very well.

AX1200 is crazy overkill. Get an AX850.

Get the Samsung 30nm RAM if you want to overclock RAM. If you dont (and there isn't much reason to outside of benchmarks and multimedia work), then get some DDR3 1600 like the Corsair Vengeance Low Profile.

For coolers, the V10 is totally silly and not great in comparison to a lot of others out there right now. Look at the Coolermaster TPC 812, NZXT Havik 140, or Noctua D14 if you want to overclock to your processor's limit.

*FURTHER EDIT*

I realized you put two 690s down there. Don't do that unless you want to spend half of your gaming time getting quad-SLI working. It's beyond a hassle.

690 is already SLI'd, as it is two 680s on the same PCB. Getting two means you have essentially 4 cards. 4-way/quad SLI is buggy as all getout.

CatPee

Anno is suuuuper processor-heavy. Dips into the 30s/40s randomly sometimes on my 670/non-OC'd 2500K since I don't have a decent cooler yet.

Ceebs

No one knows what the next consoles are going to have in them so any answer is a pure guess at this point and will be for another year or so.

The high end stuff like a 670 or a 7970 may last you, but no one can really say.

Stubo

Is there much advantage to doing a push/pull on the 212 Evo? I can't help but wonder if it would shave some easy numbers off my already very reasonable temperatures :p

Is the positive pressure in the case really that big of a deal? I have 1 fan in and 2 fans out as default in the Fractal Arc Midi, plus the air being pushed out the back by my GPU. Is it worth getting an extra fan or 2 to bring more air in the front and bottom (side if I added a dust filter) of the case?

JambiBum

So I paid 360 dollars for this set up. How did I do GAF?
CPU: AMD Anthlon II X4 Processor 3.00 GHZ
RAM: 8 GB
HDD: Toshiba 1 TB 7200 rpm
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5570
Mobo: AMD 890GX
PSU: 500w

mkenyon

Banned
Is there much advantage to doing a push/pull on the 212 Evo? I can't help but wonder if it would shave some easy numbers off my already very reasonable temperatures :p

Is the positive pressure in the case really that big of a deal? I have 1 fan in and 2 fans out as default in the Fractal Arc Midi, plus the air being pushed out the back by my GPU. Is it worth getting an extra fan or 2 to bring more air in the front and bottom (side if I added a dust filter) of the case?

1) The big benefit is being able to use two fans that spin fairly slow and achieve similar temps to having one fast fan. If using 2 fans on it, you might see a few C difference. A single really good fan will give you better results though.

2) Not really, no. It's one of those things where if you are trying to min/max every aspect of cooling on your build, it's something you do. If possible, always strive for it. In your case, you could certainly benefit from a second fan on the front, but only if you aren't happy with your current temps.

They have to be the same GPU. Clockspeed and memory size can be different, but the GPU has to match.

I saw something the other day saying Nvidia updated drivers a while ago where they don't have to be synchronized (same clock/memory), is this true? I knew it used to revert both to the slower of the two but someone was saying they can both run at their own speed with newer drivers. No clue if it's true.

Momentary

Banned
So, you will be overclocking.

Coming from a guy who has a 3820 and a X79 motherboard, it's really something that is intended for enthusiast overclockers and multimedia use. For gaming, you want to go with a Z77 and a 3570K. The question right now is whether or not the next generation of games will be 'n-threaded', meaning that they can use as many threads as your processor has. As it is right now, there is literally zero benefit with an i7 over an i5, and it will most likely stay that way for at least a few years.

In addition to that, there's no guarantee that the 3820 and X79 board will be 'flashable' to PCI-E 3.0. You want PCI-E 3.0 if you're getting a 690, as it is fairly bottlenecked by PCI-E 2.0. Z77 and 3570K/3770K support 3.0 out of the box.

On motherboard choices, I'd really stay away from the high end RoG stuff unless you are looking at serious overclocking. There's a lot of features and general things on those boards that make them really hard to use unless you know your way around a motherboard very well.

AX1200 is crazy overkill. Get an AX850.

Get the Samsung 30nm RAM if you want to overclock RAM. If you dont (and there isn't much reason to outside of benchmarks and multimedia work), then get some DDR3 1600 like the Corsair Vengeance Low Profile.

For coolers, the V10 is totally silly and not great in comparison to a lot of others out there right now. Look at the Coolermaster TPC 812, NZXT Havik 140, or Noctua D14 if you want to overclock to your processor's limit.

*FURTHER EDIT*

I realized you put two 690s down there. Don't do that unless you want to spend half of your gaming time getting quad-SLI working. It's beyond a hassle.

690 is already SLI'd, as it is two 680s on the same PCB. Getting two means you have essentially 4 cards. 4-way/quad SLI is buggy as all getout.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll head back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with now. I'm going to be truthful, I'm kind of out of the loop and was never super tech savvy to begin with, so I'm liable to have stupid configurations.

So in the end 2 GTX 690s is not worth the money or the hassle? Should I attempt to get 2 GTX 680s over 1 GTX 690?

mkenyon

Banned
The 690 is a better bet. It has a lot of features that actually makes it better than 680s in SLI, albeit not *quite* as powerful.

*edit*

Also, if you wanted to make it fairly simple, go for the 'Enthusiast' build in the OP. Put the AX850 in for the PSU, and the 690 in for the graphics card. Going with a really nice monitor such as the S23A750D or BenQ XL2420T is a great choice too. 120hz monitors make it feel like next gen is here.

If $100 isn't a big deal, you might as well go for the 3770K over the 3570K. That little bit of 'in case' protection with having 8 threads is a nice buffer if you aren't trying to minimize the price wherever you can.

That will give you an insanely powerful computer that will be able to run most games at 120FPS maxed out.

Stubo

1) The big benefit is being able to use two fans that spin fairly slow and achieve similar temps to having one fast fan. If using 2 fans on it, you might see a few C difference. A single really good fan will give you better results though.

2) Not really, no. It's one of those things where if you are trying to min/max every aspect of cooling on your build, it's something you do. If possible, always strive for it. In your case, you could certainly benefit from a second fan on the front, but only if you aren't happy with your current temps.
I don't really know how the fan that comes with the Evo ranks, I wouldn't want anything too loud though so temperatures aren't the only important thing. You've given me some things to consider, thanks :)

mkenyon

Banned
It's passable, but not something that someone would buy if they were in the market for aftermarket fans.

Good fans to consider if you want to add some-

Corsair SP (on heatsink) AF (as case fan) Quiet Edition, Noctua NF-F12 (only for heatsink), Bitfenix Spectre Pro (good for both), Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14 (for both), Low RPM Yate Loons (both), Swiftech Helix (both).

Gvaz

Banned
I can't afford right now to get an i5 chip because I'm on red team right now which would involve new ram, new motherboard, new cpu. Is it worth it at all to get a newer bulldozer chip regardless of the poor performance compared to the i5? Can you overclock them?

I have a phenom II X3 720 that i've overclocked to 3.5 (I had it at 3.7 and max vcore voltage and it was still pretty unstable, but 3.5 and max vcore was pretty stable.

The mother board I have is an older UD3 one with an AM2+ socket and DDR2800? ram.

Can I even stick an AM3+ chip in something like that? Am I pretty much fucked at this point? Anything I can do maybe to upgrade some performance in games? I also have a 4890 and pretty much refuse to game at anything other than 1920x1200, and while it's okay playing vanilla skyrim around 30fps or so, Metro 2033 on normal settings anywhere from 20-60fps (usually 20 when all the volumetric smoke comes up, and around 60fps when it isnt).

I was thinking if I had to really upgrade (I'd have to save up and prolly wouldn't be able to do anything for 6 months), I'd want to get the i7-3770k (I'm interested in running games with mods and max settings and force tons of AA and do supersampling, and recording hd video of some games or whatnot), and prolly the 670 (interested in upgrading to a 2560x1600 later on after all this). For someone who prolly won't upgrade my computer until it's long in the tooth like my system currently is now, would this be a good idea? Any suggestions or wakeup calls are appreciated.

MrBig

Got in two 120mm Phanteks today one is near silent, the other one has terrible whine. Guess I'll have to switch it out with amazon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I can't afford right now to get an i5 chip because I'm on red team right now which would involve new ram, new motherboard, new cpu. Is it worth it at all to get a newer bulldozer chip regardless of the poor performance compared to the i5? Can you overclock them?

I have a phenom II X3 720 that i've overclocked to 3.5 (I had it at 3.7 and max vcore voltage and it was still pretty unstable, but 3.5 and max vcore was pretty stable.

The mother board I have is an older UD3 one with an AM2+ socket and DDR2800? ram.

Can I even stick an AM3+ chip in something like that? Am I pretty much fucked at this point? Anything I can do maybe to upgrade some performance in games? I also have a 4890 and pretty much refuse to game at anything other than 1920x1200, and while it's okay playing vanilla skyrim around 30fps or so, Metro 2033 on normal settings anywhere from 20-60fps (usually 20 when all the volumetric smoke comes up, and around 60fps when it isnt).

I was thinking if I had to really upgrade (I'd have to save up and prolly wouldn't be able to do anything for 6 months), I'd want to get the i7-3770k (I'm interested in running games with mods and max settings and force tons of AA and do supersampling, and recording hd video of some games or whatnot), and prolly the 670 (interested in upgrading to a 2560x1600 later on after all this). For someone who prolly won't upgrade my computer until it's long in the tooth like my system currently is now, would this be a good idea? Any suggestions or wakeup calls are appreciated.
You aren't going to get much more performance from a CPU upgrade.
Look at grabbing a 670 now, then doing a mobo/cpu upgrade when the chance comes.

Spl1nter

I seem to remember reading on here not to buy OCZ SSDs. Why is that? Everything I read about the vertex 4 is positive and its cheaper as well than other drives.

cametall

I seem to remember reading on here not to buy OCZ SSDs. Why is that? Everything I read about the vertex 4 is positive and its cheaper as well than other drives.

I think they have a history of failing more often than other brands and that isn't something professional reviews will reflect, since they just test performance and not months/years of reliability of the unit.

mkenyon

Banned
Vertex 4 does seem to be on the right track.

There were a number of bugs with all the previous gen SSDs from OCZ. To top it off, their customer service was pretty horrible surrounding each issue.

So, we recommend the drives that have proved to be reliable as possible. When you're talking about current gen SSDs, though one might be 'faster', in terms of perceived performance you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. In light of this, reliability prevails as the #1 determining factor in a recommendation. Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 take the cake in this regard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

There were a number of bugs with all the previous gen SSDs from OCZ. To top it off, their customer service was pretty horrible surrounding each issue.

So, we recommend the drives that have proved to be reliable as possible. When you're talking about current gen SSDs, though one might be 'faster', in terms of perceived performance you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. In light of this, reliability prevails as the #1 determining factor in a recommendation. Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 take the cake in this regard.
And the people who knew this bought Vertex 3 for the speed/price and treated them as a performance driver and maintained backups of their OS or kept non valuable data on them.

Still we had a few go south on us in the thread and the 830 and m4 and 510 offer very similar performance with a seemingly much lower failure rate.

MrBig

Got in two 120mm Phanteks today one is near silent, the other one has terrible whine. Guess I'll have to switch it out with amazon.

I guess these just don't like being used as intake fans. I switched out the stock fractal rear fan and put it on the side, with the phanteks being rear and top exhausts, but the fractal doesn't sound too great either. Can't do a floor fan with my psu either :/

So, recommendations on a side panel intake fan? Looking for as little noise as possible.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Something with good pressure? I think the Corsair ones are ok for that, but I'm sure there's another 3 models that will be fine that I don't know off the top of my head. You could poke around some numbers on models that mkenyon listed and see what you find.
I have to wake up in 5 so gl!

mkenyon

Banned
I guess these just don't like being used as intake fans. I switched out the stock fractal rear fan and put it on the side, with the phanteks being rear and top exhausts, but the fractal doesn't sound too great either. Can't do a floor fan with my psu either :/

So, recommendations on a side panel intake fan? Looking for as little noise as possible.
I think the Phanteks are supposed to be used as heatsink fans iirc. Some of those fans that are designed for super high pressure do not work well at all as case fans.

Are you sure they are mounted properly? Sometimes one of the screws can be slightly off causing all sorts of crazy issues.

Otherwise, for 120mm case fans, Corsair AF Quiet Edition, Scythe Slipstream low RPM, Yate Loon low RPM, BitFenix Spectre Pro.

Veal

What about SanDisk? Their SSD's are looking magically delicious right about now...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EKJ8UI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mkenyon

Banned
It's an unknown. Not an issue of, "I've heard bad things", but just that there hasn't been much reporting on them. I'd imagine its due to really low volume.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Finally cleaned my CPU/GPU fans after about 4-5 months. Did I need that. My max temps are now where they should be. Peaking at around 68C for BF3 and my CPU at around 67. Bare in mind I have them both OC'd but the aftermarket cooling has helped tons. Happy camper.

I literally got in and scraped the individual heatsinks carefully and vacuumed off dust and dirt built up as I loosened it up. Took about 20 minutes but was well worth it.

Ty4on

Not if temps are OK, but moving the top fan to the front and possibly also removing a HDD case (unless you need all) would benefit the GPU if it's a blower. With blowers positive pressure will help the card push out the air like an extra little fan, but if it ain't broke you probably don't need to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom