• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Cheers.

No matter how it turns out to be it should be the new mid range card to beat. Dunno what AMD can do besides play price wars against 6xx.

7850s have been hitting 199.99 on slickdeals. So hopefully Nvidia will still want to be somwhat competitive on low end pricing and hit that 249.99 mark.

I can only imagine we'll see the 7850 hitting 179.99 in the next couple weeks.

mkenyon

Banned
Good choice. That and the Shinobi XL seem to be no brainers when it comes to the possibility of water cooling.

You a fan of the CM Stryker at all?

Alternatively, if you want to dig deep, the Little Devil V7 should be out in a week or two.

I1fFfl.jpg

Link to thread about it.

hodgy100

Hey!

I'm thinking of putting together a new build soon i just want to know what you guys think:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
MoBo: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe mITX
GPU: Asus GTX560 Ti (recycled from my current pc)
HDD: 1TB samsung hdd (from current rig) + SanDisk SDSSDX-120G-G25 120GB SSD?
PSU: Corsair VX 550w from current pc
Case: BitFenix Prodigy

I'm thinking of fitting a Corsair h80 to it for some nice quiet cooling then getting some larger sized fans (a 230mm for the front 140mm for the back if i can fit the rad on the top of the case and still have a disk drive)

Its the first completely new build ive made for about 4 years and all ive done to this one is get a newer gpu. so im a bit out of the loop with hardware.
also:

this case looks godly!
I love the orientation of the motherboard, it stops all that strain form the cooler and gpu!, it's excellently designed while being much smaller than a regular pc. I'm in love with it!

mkenyon

Banned
The EVGA Z77 ITX board should be out in a few weeks. As it stands, there doesn't seem to be any reason to go with the ASUS board over the ASRock ITX board.

I know there are some fitting issues with a few of the backplates for coolers, H80 might be among them. This thread will have some more details.

At the very worst case, it might mean you need to cut the motherboard tray to allow the backplate to fit comfortably.

hodgy100

it seems the asrock board isnt available in the UK :(
and ill make sure the corair water blocks fit before i buy one. I'll probably stick to air for a bit to begin with anyway.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, even some of the air coolers, such as the Hyper 212+ do not fit properly. Kind of the emerging issue with this case right now actually.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What are the differences between the ASRock Z77 Pro 3 and the Z77 Pro 4? Is the Pro 3 any good? Can I overclock with it?

cametall

Some can emit all sorts of strange noises and weird quirks when not paired with a radiator or heatsink. I know that is the case for sure with the NF-F12s, I'm not certain about the P12's.

I have two in a push/pull intake config and whichever one is sandwiched between the case and radiator makes a weird noise at high RPMs.

laika09

So I'll be buying my GTX 670 tomorrow, couple questions.

1. EVGA FTW or Gigabyte Windforce? Consensus seems to be that the performance is essentially equal, but the Gigabyte is slightly quieter/cooler, and the EVGA has better warranty/support.

2. I have a PCIe 3.0 slot on my motherboard, all the way at the bottom, but the motherboard manual suggests using the topmost slot (2.0) in a single GPU set-up. Should I just use the slower port? I hear that the performance impact is low if not negligible.

3. I've been using my 8800GTS 512 in my new build to test out Lucid Virtu over Thunderbolt (works great btw!). The two cards seem to use the same drivers, so do I have to worry about uninstalling them? Gonna guess not.

mkenyon

Banned
1) As long as you don't have a really restrictive case, Gigabyte all the way.

2) Bandwidth =/= speed. The top PCI-E slot will work just fine.

3) Yeah, reinstall drivers anyway. Uninstall from windows add/remove, and delete anything in C:\NVIDIA\ -> restart into safe mode -> run ccleaner/driversweeper to remove the excess stuff -> restart into normal mode -> download new drivers and install.

laika09

1) As long as you don't have a really restrictive case, Gigabyte all the way.

2) Bandwidth =/= speed. The top PCI-E slot will work just fine.

3) Yeah, reinstall drivers anyway. Uninstall from windows add/remove, and delete anything in C:\NVIDIA\ -> restart into safe mode -> run ccleaner/driversweeper to remove the excess stuff -> restart into normal mode -> download new drivers and install.

Perfect, thanks.

So I'll be buying my GTX 670 tomorrow, couple questions.

1. EVGA FTW or Gigabyte Windforce? Consensus seems to be that the performance is essentially equal, but the Gigabyte is slightly quieter/cooler, and the EVGA has better warranty/support.

I have an evga ftw, and I can't recommend it enough. Quiet, stays below 70C, even using standard air cooling in my case and it being overclocked as much as it possibly can(still won't overheat before artifacting or crashing). Great quality. The noise difference with the gigabyte is so, so minute on a dB scale, your ears wouldn't notice a thing. And top-notch customer service when dealing with expensive computer parts is a huge plus.

mkenyon

Banned
I have an evga ftw, and I can't recommend it enough. Quiet, stays below 70C, even using standard air cooling in my case and it being overclocked as much as it possibly can(still won't overheat before artifacting or crashing). Great quality. The noise difference with the gigabyte is so, so minute on a dB scale, your ears wouldn't notice a thing. And top-notch customer service when dealing with expensive computer parts is a huge plus.

GTX-670-GB-87.jpg

GTX-670-GB-47.jpg

The cooler on the SC and FTW is the same one. For reference, a FTW review:

graph-08.png

It's better in every regard. If your card is staying below 70 at load, you're either playing a game that isn't stressing it, or the card is downclocking to stay below that magic 70C mark.

EVGA's customer service is the best among the manufacturers, definitely. If the Windforce stays quiet while at the same time cooling the GPU enough to allow for more OCing then it could be better. The FTW wasn't in Tom's GTX 670 face-off, so this is just speculation on my part.

GTX-670-GB-87.jpg

GTX-670-GB-47.jpg

The cooler on the SC and FTW is the same one. For reference, a FTW review:

graph-08.png

It's better in every regard. If your card is staying below 70 at load, you're either playing a game that isn't stressing it, or the card is downclocking to stay below that magic 70C mark.

I thought the FTW was considerably better than the SC?

mkenyon

Banned
Different PCB, same exact cooler. From what I've gathered, it allows it to have a better overclock due to a better VRM situation, but that's the only difference.

Spl1nter

I think I have a cooling issue with my 670 playing bf3 an it started to happen progressively more and worse. Would drop from >60 frames to 45 and stay there for a 2-3 seconds before shooting up and returning to normal. Guessing that's a cooling issue right?

mkenyon

Banned
When will be seeing some games using Nvidia's new AA solution? Think it's called TXAA or something?
FXAA, and it's already out on a number of titles.
I think I have a cooling issue with my 670 playing bf3 an it started to happen progressively more and worse. Would drop from >60 frames to 45 and stay there for a 2-3 seconds before shooting up and returning to normal. Guessing that's a cooling issue right?
I've been plagued by the same thing happening to me in both Tribes and Smite recently, both UE3 based. This is with a 690 under water maxing out at ~41/42C, so I don't think it's temperature related. Are you running the latest beta drivers?

No, he's right, it's TXAA. The Secret World has it...it's just not enabled yet. They're waiting for new NVidia drivers, I think.

Drivers have been out for nearly a month, game patch it needed:

The new NVIDIA GeForce 304.79 beta drivers are now available to download. Essential for gamers playing Funcom’s much-anticipated MMORPG, The Secret World, the GeForce 304.79 beta drivers introduce TXAA anti-aliasing functionality, pending a game update, and add a SLI profile for multi-GPU users.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-304-79-beta-drivers-released/

My overclock does not hit 70C before the architecture hits its natural limit. Temperature is having no hindrance on performance, and this is playing Crysis 2, Witcher 2, BF3, etc absolutely maxed out in every regard(sans 3D vision). This is at around 1300MHz on the overclock. The fan hits about 75-80% speed and keeps the temp at around 65-66C comfortably.

Also, are all those graphs from the same source? Last I read, the comparisons were borderline negligible.

Tom's Hardware is known to be biased.

Also, FTW or SC is just a batch of PCB boards where the GPU is located is of higher quality allowing a better overclock, that's about it.

Different PCB, same exact cooler. From what I've gathered, it allows it to have a better overclock due to a better VRM situation, but that's the only difference.

In other words, not better in every regard.

I'd say you're safe either way. They'll both sound like quiet fans in your case, so eh.

Spl1nter

So now im thinking for some reason my gpu is not being fully utilized for some reason and its not a cooling issue. Playing BF3 im only getting 50-65% GPU usage. Using Precision X for the stats. Anyone got any ideas? CPU bottleneck with x4 965?

evilalien

The FTW uses a reference 680 cooler, not the standard 670 cooler found on the regular EVGA 670 and 670 SC.

Arsin

Alright tech Gaf two questions: First is I am looking at getting a 670 and was wondering which version would be the best. I am seeing lots of posts about the EVGA FTW card, but what about the ASUS DC2 Top version? I know it is hard to come by, but if I was able to get that card would it be my best buy? Also, should I wait for the 660ti? Considering the 670 I am looking at, would that be as good for the money?

Second question and I know this may not be the best place to ask, but I figured who better than tech Gaf? What kind of desk chairs do you guys have? I spend far too much time in front of my computer and I think it is time for my butt to get a comfort upgrade. Any recommendations? (Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, I did not see any posts about the topic.)

scogoth

Alright tech Gaf two questions: First is I am looking at getting a 670 and was wondering which version would be the best. I am seeing lots of posts about the EVGA FTW card, but what about the ASUS DC2 Top version? I know it is hard to come by, but if I was able to get that card would it be my best buy? Also, should I wait for the 660ti? Considering the 670 I am looking at, would that be as good for the money?

Second question and I know this may not be the best place to ask, but I figured who better than tech Gaf? What kind of desk chairs do you guys have? I spend far too much time in front of my computer and I think it is time for my butt to get a comfort upgrade. Any recommendations? (Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, I did not see any posts about the topic.)

Keilhauer. Awesome chairs but pricey, loving it though since I spend all day in my chair.

http://www.keilhauer.com/products/desk-conference-task/sguig/9921

Smokey

Good choice. That and the Shinobi XL seem to be no brainers when it comes to the possibility of water cooling.

You a fan of the CM Stryker at all?

Alternatively, if you want to dig deep, the Little Devil V7 should be out in a week or two.

I1fFfl.jpg

Link to thread about it.

Is the Stryker the follow up to the StormTrooper or something? They look very familiar and the ST was what I was originally going to get.

Sblargh

Banned
Question to you smart people:
I use a NVidia Quadro for work because of Catia, Autocad and stuff like that.
It works well with gaming, but not well enough, I want an actual gaming card.
So, the question, can I use both at the same time? How would it work? Would my computer know that Catia uses Quadro and gaming uses Geforce?

mkenyon

Banned
Is the Stryker the follow up to the StormTrooper or something? They look very familiar and the ST was what I was originally going to get.
Yep, just the white version with some updated features.
Also, are all those graphs from the same source? Last I read, the comparisons were borderline negligible.
Two from Hardware Canucks, one from Hexus. I'm not sure what you were reading, but there's huge differences between the EVGA and Gigabyte coolers.

In other words, not better in every regard.

I'd say you're safe either way. They'll both sound like quiet fans in your case, so eh.
No no, I meant SC as in the EVGA SC vs. FTW. The Gigabyte, like the FTW, is on a 680 PCB with better voltage regulation. Haz has the highest clocking 670 on GAF. It's a Gigabyte.
The FTW uses a reference 680 cooler, not the standard 670 cooler found on the regular EVGA 670 and 670 SC.
Tom's 670 Review

Nvidia uses the same fan found on the GeForce GTX 680, which we like because it exhausts all of the card’s heated air out the rear I/O panel. But it employs a cost-reduced heat sink

Looks like the sink is different. Good call. Same fan though, and the temps between the 670 FTW and SC editions seem to indicate it has negligible differences in terms of performance and noise. Its the fan that makes noise, not the sink itself.

So now im thinking for some reason my gpu is not being fully utilized for some reason and its not a cooling issue. Playing BF3 im only getting 50-65% GPU usage. Using Precision X for the stats. Anyone got any ideas? CPU bottleneck with x4 965?

Is it OC'd? I have a Phenom ii X4 clocked at 3.5 and various random google searches have led me to believe it is a bottleneck for my GTX 680, will be upgrading to an Ivy Bridge build in a month or so, will keep people posted :)

My new computer is fantastic. Thanks PC GAF for all the help and recommendations.

I've having one issue. At night I usually listen to music when I go to bed so I normally just turn off my monitor. When I turn it back on all of my open windows are resized as if it's to fit a smaller resolution. The same thing occurs if set a time for the display to sleep. When I turn the monitor back on I notice the sound effect that I usually associate with plugging a USB device in.

I have an Asus VS247H-P and a Biostar motherboard running Windows 7 Home. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hitmon

Just wanted to say thanks to GAF for your patience with answering all my questions. I got a new heatsink installed and my temps are alot better than before. When playing Witcher 2, my temps are in the mid 50s C. Surfing the internet is now around low 40s C.

Still haven't started overclocking yet, so we'll see how it goes when I have more time. Thanks again!

Reading that tweaktown review for the 660ti and if Nvidia really places it at the $250 range i might be joining the green team for the first time though it seems its gonna be 300 :(

My overclock does not hit 70C before the architecture hits its natural limit. Temperature is having no hindrance on performance, and this is playing Crysis 2, Witcher 2, BF3, etc absolutely maxed out in every regard(sans 3D vision). This is at around 1300MHz on the overclock. The fan hits about 75-80% speed and keeps the temp at around 65-66C comfortably.

I imagine that would be very loud. The fan shouldn't have to hit those kinds of speeds to keep it below 70, the Gigabyte and DCII version don't I believe.

ss_lemonade

Is it wise to upgrade my gpu from a 6970 to something better like a 670 if I only game at 1920x1080? Or should I just save my money and just get something like an ssd (never owned 1 yet)?

If I get an ssd, which one would you guys recommend for a 128gb one? I keep reading about the m4 and samsung 830 but I know next to nothing when it comes to SSDs. All I know is that they're supposed to be fast lol.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
my chair:
Rs8N2.jpg

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=885643&AffixedCode=WW&cmSearchKeyword=40329#

it was worth it. nice and comfy.

cametall

I bought that chair's brother from staples. Is that metal I see? Because mine is plastic and doesn't provide quite enough support for me to be completely satisfied.

Sounds like you and I bought the same chair. It is decent, but not quite perfect. The headrest felt nice when I tried it out in store but actually using it I find it starts to bother my neck a little after a couple hours.

My chair at work, which is lacking the headrest, is extremely comfortable. A Broyhill or something like that from OfficeMax. I love that thing.

Oxn

Sounds like you and I bought the same chair. It is decent, but not quite perfect. The headrest felt nice when I tried it out in store but actually using it I find it starts to bother my neck a little after a couple hours.

My chair at work, which is lacking the headrest, is extremely comfortable. A Broyhill or something like that from OfficeMax. I love that thing.

Got a name for it?

Cause i cant access the canadian link.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Any good chiclet keyboards out there? Ideally I'm aiming for the kind of quality and feel you'd find on Lenovo laptops. I don't care if it doesn't have any particular features.

Also, what brand/model of WiFi card would you guys recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom