• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

I have a few quick questions.

1. Will a GTX570 run ok with an Antec HCG-520 (Q6600, 5 hard drives)
2. Will an Ivy Bridge CPU use the HD4000 graphics on a P67 motherboard?
3. Does anyone know of a front panel solution (3.5 or 5.25) that has USB3 and Firewire with Motherboard Headers? Esata and Front Panel Audio are a good bonus, but not required

hitoshi

So...short story, I was a PC only player until 2004, then I quit it and went to play consoles. But I was always interested in PC gaming ever since that, thinking about buying a new PC, two times a year, like a clockwork. This time, however, because of the Steam Sale and my new job, I leveld up and I am seriously considering buying a new PC. I have several friends working with hardware and they put together a new gaming PC for me, for the price I set (200 000 HUF - around 850$). I can not pay more and sadly, parts cost waaaaay higher than in the US or in the UK. So, I am not asking for a better build, I am asking for opinion.

What is my biggest fear? Buying a very expensive hardware which can become obsolete in a year. I know, we can't predict the future, we don't know anything solid about the new generation, but I fear that a year from now, especially with UE4, I'm gonna be in serious trouble and will not be able to play new games but on low settings only.

However: I wish to remain a console-focused player, meaning that huge, AAA titles, especially long ones, like RPG's will be played on the new consoles, period. What I need a new PC for then? For exclusives, for F2P Games (I want to get into DOTA 2, for example, and finally play the PC version of TF2, because I put everything i can into the Xbox 360 version). But I would like to take a look at some new, AAA games on the PC as well, at least on medium settings.

So... would I be an idiot for buying a new PC right now? Should I force myself to wait for a year when new VGA-s and maybe new CPU's will be on the market? My budget will not be higher and I am thinking that new parts will be very expensive for years so... dilemma. A huge one.

The PC I am planning to buy

Case: COOLERMASTER RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430
PSU: Chieftec CTG-500-80p
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75-D3V
Cpu: Intel Core i5-3450
Vga: Gainward GTX560 1GB Phantom
Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
HDD: Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green 7200RPM

Thanks in advance for all comments!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Sorry for the noobish question, but what's the deal with thermal paste? PC building tutorials I've watched in the OP don't talk about that. From what I gather the stock CPU fan already has thermal paste applied to it, so there's no need to add any. You only have to do that if you're replacing the stock fan with a third-party fan (in case you're OC'ing or whatever). Am I correct?

RS4-

Damn, as much as I don't like NZXT, the 810 SE case isn't so bad.

Kind of wanting to switch my FT02 to something.

f3niks

If the multimedia stuff is really important, for business and the like, you might want to consider a 3930K and an X79 motherboard.

Otherwise, go with a 3770K and the rest of the goodies from the 'Excellent' category.

In either case, 16GB RAM is a good bet. 32GB if you want to go all out on the 3930K/X79. Pending sticker shock survival, if you have more questions about specific parts with that, let me know.

I know it's late, but thanks mate!

Sorry for the noobish question, but what's the deal with thermal paste? PC building tutorials I've watched in the OP don't talk about that. From what I gather the stock CPU fan already has thermal paste applied to it, so there's no need to add any. You only have to do that if you're replacing the stock fan with a third-party fan (in case you're OC'ing or whatever). Am I correct?

Yes.

yes.
d'oh didn't even see it was answered already.

mkenyon

Banned
The PC I am planning to buy

Case: COOLERMASTER RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430
PSU: Chieftec CTG-500-80p
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75-D3V
Cpu: Intel Core i5-3450
Vga: Gainward GTX560 1GB Phantom
Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
HDD: Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green 7200RPM

Thanks in advance for all comments!
I don't say this to be rude, but you want to swap out the choices there with something else in every category. Follow one of the OP builds.

If you want to save now and eventually upgrade based on what happens in the next year, go with the 'Standard' build, and upgrade the processor to an unlock 4 core if games really benefit from it.
Well Gaf, I just ordered myself the BenQ 120hz monitor in preparation for my new build. Finally, time for proper fucking framerates.
Welcome to Next Gen.

You've got it exactly.

If you have reference cards, and don't plan on watercooling, that's a downgrade.

I know that feeling though. Wait for the new FT02, which should be out within the year.

Ughh, Cpu's are still way too expensive and there's no good deals out there. Thanks AMD for no competition, thanks Intel for keeping prices high when your 22nm chips are the size of pinheads.

Would love to upgrade my Q6600 but it's just too expensive.

Shambles

Ughh, Cpu's are still way too expensive and there's no good deals out there. Thanks AMD for no competition, thanks Intel for keeping prices high when your 22nm chips are the size of pinheads.

Imagine if all that die space used for the IGP was instead used for the CPU, how much more powerful they would be :(

So I just got my new SSD in the mail today. I already have a HDD with W7 on it. Can anyone recommend any useful resources/guides for how to transfer the OS onto my new drive? I assume you should do this after installing it and updating the firmware? Thanks.

kennah

Microcenter has the 3570k for 189 right now. And your q6600 is still worth 120 used.

cackhyena

Today was the first day I tried running some games since I overclocked the other day. I was running Binary Domain for about a half an hour before it went goofy and gave me the message that it's stopped working and windows is looking for a solution. But I couldn't even access the desktop or anything to just close out. How would I test to see if I have numbers off to handle it or not? Prime 95 did it's thing for what I thought was long enough.

Also, does it matter that I'm still using a 4870? Would that affect it somehow?

Struct09

I recently upgraded from an ATI 5850 HD to an Nvidia GTX 570. Some games are running great with the new card (Diablo III, Driver SF) but some that ran fine before seem to chug along and dip below 30 fps at times (Batman AC, Quantum Conundrum). Processor is an i5 Ivy Bridge.

Is there some kind of driver cleanup I should do since I went from ATI to Nvidia? I have the latest Nvidia drivers otherwise.

MisterNoisy

What's wrong with NZXT? Their products are decent (and generally competitively priced) and their customer service is outstanding.

Salsa

headphones broke, had an old pair of Gamecom 367s.

gonna replace them tomorrow. At first I thought about getting a pair of Razer Electra but in the end I think I'll save some money (I hear the bass is good but since im upgrading soon I shouldnt be spending that much on headphones. Also more expensive than what you guys probably get them for, and the fact that it doesnt come with the splitter you need for making them work on PC is fucking ridiculous) and go for the Turtle Beach z11

Z11_headset_side_shot.jpg

anyone here with these? they seem to be nice entry level cans. Price is really good.

Unai

Guys, what motherboards do you guys recomend me?

I need:
- socket 1155 (I'll use an i7 2700k)
- Enough space to fit 2 gtx 580 sli and a gtx 275 for physx.

Edit: I saw the P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3. Is it any good?

hitmon

Go into BIOS. There should be a setting for CPU Fan error. Either reduce the value (as your new fan spins a lot slower) or disable it altogether.

Thanks, that seems to have fixed it. Bootup into windows seems a little slower now. Wonder if its time for a new hard drive.

Well, not sure if I should ask this here or what, but eh, what the hell.

My monitor is more than 5 years old but does the trick. I have a brand new PC that is a few months old including the GTX 680. Temps are always fine, but recently the screen will go black all of a sudden, though I can still hear what is taking place, be it a game or movie. Today, the entire screen went haywire, everything was jumbled. I turned the monitor off and back on and everything was back to normal.

I don't have another monitor to connect to in order to see if its the monitor of the computer but I am wondering with what I described, do the symptoms fit a monitor issue or graphics card issue?

satori

120hz all day erreday. Using a rebranded Apple Cinema Display next to a BenQXL2420T, and I'll take the 120hz any day of the week forever and always. It sucks that it is an either or choice right now though.

120hz choices are easy. If colors are super important to you and you like gloss screens, Samsung S23A700/750/950D is the right choice. The difference in the model's is the stand and how they receive the 120hz signal. 700D = worst stand, dual link DVI. 750D = okay stand, displayport. 950D = fancy stand, both dual link and displayport.

If amazing performance, input lag, and a matte screen with decent colors is your thing, then the BenQ XL2420T is the right option.

Ok bro you sold me. I play enough fast pace games where a 120hz monitor seems perfect for me. Plus I can always grab a 1440p and dual monitor for times where a better color would be ideal. Btw just want to take the time to thank you and all that contribute to this thread, I know you guys definitely help out a lot of people.

hitoshi

I don't say this to be rude, but you want to swap out the choices there with something else in every category. Follow one of the OP builds.

If you want to save now and eventually upgrade based on what happens in the next year, go with the 'Standard' build, and upgrade the processor to an unlock 4 core if games really benefit from it.

Could you elaborate? What is exactly wrong with it...?

JDeluis

Need help upgrading please.

Your Current Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, Intel DP965LT Motherboard, Corsair 4GB DDR2 667, SDRAM, PNY NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Thermaltake Purepower 500W Power Supply, Antec Solo case.
Budget: $500 (including a copy of Windows 7), USA
Main Use: Light Gaming - 2, Photo Editing - 5, Video Editing - 4, HD Streaming - 5 , General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 5. Rate importance on a 1-5 scale. (5 Being highest)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080. Just recently upgraded to a Sony Playstaion 24' monitor.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Crysis 1. I'm happy just being able to finally run this bad boy.
Looking to reuse any parts?: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Thermaltake Purepower 500W Power Supply, Antec Solo case, Samsung SH-S223Q DVD Burner.
When will you build?:I would like to be able to build within the next two weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: NO

After 7 years of having the same build I would like to finally upgrade. Just recently bought an HD camcorder to record my newborn and would like to edit and burn to blu-ray.

Would like to be able to upgrade the main areas. CPU, Motherboard, Ram. MY current Video card is not top of line, but would like to continue to use it for the mean time.

Fry's currently has the Intel core i5 2400 for $118 which seems like a good deal. So all I would need is a motherboard and ram. Thanks!

Ok bro you sold me. I play enough fast pace games where a 120hz monitor seems perfect for me. Plus I can always grab a 1440p and dual monitor for times where a better color would be ideal. Btw just want to take the time to thank you and all that contribute to this thread, I know you guys definitely help out a lot of people.

You won't regret it. I was convinced and went with the BenQ, great panel and 120hz is the shit. Like he said, bummer that it is an either or at this point, but for gaming, the 120hz will reap you way more benefits than an IPS with higher res.

Hey guys, question.

I have an SLI 580 setup. I've been using a custom fan profile through EVGA Precision that basically looks like an exponential curve. It works really well, but the trade off is that the cards get really loud in graphic intensive games.

I was toying with turning off the custom profile. I fired up Crysis on Enthusiast and my cards got to ~85 and ~75 respectively. That's super hot, and they'd only get up to around ~65 on my custom profile, but, again, it's really loud.

Was wondering what y'all's thoughts were on the subject.

Iacobellis

I've had issues with Firefox and my M4 but that's it. Might be a bad SSD you got? I used to have FF lock up til I did some tweak to FF, but I cannot remember for the life of me what I did.

mkenyon will tell you to switch to Chrome (and he's probably right too :p )

EDIT: This is what I did and now FF rarely ever freezes. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2115257

I have the H60 and my 3570K OC'd to 4.2ghz (baby clock by most standards) and my max temp under normal loads (DayZ, DOTA 2, SRTT) never exceeds 60c.

The Corsair fans blow chunks and are VERY loud. If that is the main difference between the H60 and H80 then I would say save your money, get the H60, and buy two higher quality fans ... because there's a good chance you'd be buying better fans to replace the cheesey Corsair ones anyways on the H80.

EDIT: Also to add, many 3570Ks can get to 4.4ghz or close to it with the stock cooler. Mine cannot. So YMMV in that regard.

Wow, thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be able to save my money then! What company makes fans that aren't too loud but don't skimp out on performance?

Smokey

Hey guys, question.

I have an SLI 580 setup. I've been using a custom fan profile through EVGA Precision that basically looks like an exponential curve. It works really well, but the trade off is that the cards get really loud in graphic intensive games.

I was toying with turning off the custom profile. I fired up Crysis on Enthusiast and my cards got to ~85 and ~75 respectively. That's super hot, and they'd only get up to around ~65 on my custom profile, but, again, it's really loud.

Was wondering what y'all's thoughts were on the subject.

That's just how Fermi is. They get hot. I had 2x 580s as well and I could literally feel my area warming up whenever I was gaming. Moved to the GTX 690 and it's night and day. Kepler runs much cooler than Fermi. Have to remember that the Fermi architecture is about 2 years old.

Blackface

Banned

What you need to do is go to ocp or OC.net and find someone in your area with one of the rebranded Korean monitors. Then go to the store and check out a 120hz.

I have used both, and I chose the 1440p. In fact, it wasn't even close for me. The Shimian (one I saw), made even the Samsung S27A950D look like a budget monitor next to it.

The higher resolution, 27 inch screen and color makes more of a difference for me, then the 120hz on a shitty panel any day of the week. The higher resolution makes a huge difference while using my computer for non-gaming activities, and when in-game, I don't even need to use AA. Everything is so smooth, colorful, and vast.

Another issue you need to think about with a 120hz monitor. Is to get what you pay for, you need to keep your FPS at 120 FPS or higher. If it dips below that, you now longer get the full benefit of a 120hz monitor. Many people also report if you drop below 80, it feels like 20 FPS would feel on a 60hz monitor. Although some people are more sensitive to that then others.

As your actual computer build becomes older, you will not be able to continue gaming at 120fps. Not unless you plan on getting a new card regularly.

All that said. If your heart is set on 120hz. Then wait for a month. Overlord and a few Korean brands, plan on introducing 120hz rebranded Apple cinema displays to the market for $400 or so. You will get the amazing quality of the Korean monitors, with the 120hz you seem to want. Dropping the money on the BenQ right now would be a mistake. Like I said, hope over to some computer forums and read some of the extensive threads.

Stubo

So I read this awesome article on cooling yesterday and ordered myself another 2 fans to put in my Fractal Arc Midi.

I think I've caught the bug since I don't technically need my parts to be any cooler, but the results from their tests suggested a perfect all-filtered set up with 5 fans and I have headers spare. Hopefully I'll have positive feedback to bring you guys in the week when I set them up!

For anyone curious about cooling with 1-6 case fans the article is an excellent read and I would recommend it!

Grumbul

Would anyone be able to help me out on this please?

I'm building my first rig in many years from scratch and have a question regarding RAM speeds.

I am looking to purchase the following:

CML8GX3M2A2133C11B - 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP Cerulean Blue, PC3-17066 (2133), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 11-11-11-27, XMP, 1.5V

My plan was to install these in the following mobo:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0, D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

However the spec on the mobo on the Scan site indicates it only supports DDR3 RAM up to 1600Mhz, whereas a couple of people are telling me it actually supports higher than this.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone more knowledgable might have regarding this - I'm afraid I'm very out of touch with all of this newer tech.

Akkad

Banned
Would anyone be able to help me out on this please?

I'm building my first rig in many years from scratch and have a question regarding RAM speeds.

I am looking to purchase the following:

CML8GX3M2A2133C11B - 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP Cerulean Blue, PC3-17066 (2133), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 11-11-11-27, XMP, 1.5V

My plan was to install these in the following mobo:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0, D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

However the spec on the mobo on the Scan site indicates it only supports DDR3 RAM up to 1600Mhz, whereas a couple of people are telling me it actually supports higher than this.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone more knowledgable might have regarding this - I'm afraid I'm very out of touch with all of this newer tech.

Well, on Newegg it says it supports 2400(OC)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546&Tpk=Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

mkenyon

Banned
CM 690II or Antec 300 illusion

which one should i go for?
690II by a mile.

All that said. If your heart is set on 120hz. Then wait for a month. Overlord and a few Korean brands, plan on introducing 120hz rebranded Apple cinema displays to the market for $400 or so. You will get the amazing quality of the Korean monitors, with the 120hz you seem to want. Dropping the money on the BenQ right now would be a mistake. Like I said, hope over to some computer forums and read some of the extensive threads.
If this is true, you are the hero of my weekend and deserve a hug.

@RAM question.
Anything over 1333 on SB/IB is an overclock, and you will need to use XMP or manually set it to reach the desired speed.

That being said, if you want to have speedy RAM for multimedia work or benches, don't bother with anything outside of the Samsung 30nm RAM. $45 for 8GB, and you can clock it well past 2100 ezpz. Have mine running near 2300 on my X79 build right now.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Helping a friend build a computer for the first time, hes on a budget of around $650-700ish. Heres the list of parts I recommended to him (which I mostly shamelessly stole from the OP)

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($73.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($88.73 @ Amazon)
Total: $634.63

My friend hasn't decided on a case yet, and already has a monitor.

any thoughts?

satori

Did as you suggested, and thanks. And damn I had no idea about these Korean monitors. Read some really great info over at overclocker.Net. I almost grabbed the catleap brand off ebay, but then read more about the Overlord which seems to be available in October. I just fixed my 22in Sammy so I can wait and see. For about the same price of a BenQ, I can have a 27in 1440p 120hz? Uhhhhh yes please. I man

legacyzero

Banned

That's my problem.

I want to upgrade, but apparently AMD CPU's aren't good enough for the higher end cards. So now I need a whole new mobo AND Cpu.

Sid

Helping a friend build a computer for the first time, hes on a budget of around $650-700ish. Heres the list of parts I recommended to him (which I mostly shamelessly stole from the OP)

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($73.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($88.73 @ Amazon)
Total: $634.63

My friend hasn't decided on a case yet, and already has a monitor
any thoughts?

I'd say go for the 'best value' $700 rig mentioned in the op,though including the os would stretch that budget a bit

MrBig

Did as you suggested, and thanks. And damn I had no idea about these Korean monitors. Read some really great info over at overclocker.Net. I almost grabbed the catleap brand off ebay, but then read more about the Overlord which seems to be available in October. I just fixed my 22in Sammy so I can wait and see. For about the same price of a BenQ, I can have a 27in 1440p 120hz? Uhhhhh yes please. I man

I'd be careful with that. I haven't been keeping up with it after I bought my crossover, but the 120hz korean monitors are still 60hz panels that you can overclock to 120hz, which can kill monitors over time. Dig around on 120hz.net, that is where they moved to after some dumb ebay linking dispute at OCN. They were getting the 2B Catleap PCB (which allowed for OCing to 120hz) manufactured for them and selling at an inflated price for it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I finally pulled the trigger the other day. Here's my final configuration (all bought in France):

CPU: i5 3570K
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Pro4
RAM: Corsair Value 2*4GB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1GB
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB SSD + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
PSU: Seasonic 520W
Case: Fractal R3
Optical: Samsung SH-222BB
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Solar K750
Mouse: Logitech M525

Cost: 996.01€

I've already got a monitor.

Can't wait! Will I need any additional screws or anything else (besides a screwdriver, duh) to build the PC?

LEGGZZZZ

Just bought all my parts for my 1st build, I am so excited, but also nervous as hell I'm going to fuck something up. Hopefully Gaf won't be too annoyed with the questions once I start building on Tuesday. I can't wait to play battlefield on a 64 players server!! Went with a Dell Ultra-sharp 27" display (didn't want to take the chance with Korean monitors). I expect the there will be a huge difference between that and my current measly 19" Sony viao. I can't wait!! Just want to say thanks to PC Gaf for helping through the first step of selecting parts. Wish me luck on building!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom