• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Memory possibly?

Try removing everything but a single stick, then swap which stick you are using if you encounter it again.

cametall

Memory possibly?

Try removing everything but a single stick, then swap which stick you are using if you encounter it again.

It was memory. Memtest cleared one stick, the other failed.

I have no BSODs as of now with just the one stick, just poor PC performance. I don't know why my SSD is moving so slowly though.

There is definitely a performance drop according to AS SSD... could the single stick (supposed to have two sticks) of 4GB slow the SSD down?

EDIT: I figured it out. Windows Driver Verifier was dragging it down. SSD speeds back to normal now :)

Question about upgrading video cards...

I currently have a 420w PSU and want to upgrade my video card to something more recent (currently a HD5770). Would I need a power boost for something like a HD7770?

Salsa

just wondering, no real intention behind this question at all but:

single gtx 670 not even near enough to make a 120hz monitor purchase worth it right? talking about newest games here.

should you even go for it with a 680? or is it best to go directly SLI?

and by worth it I of course mean running your games at at least constant 120fps on the highest possible settings at at least 1080p

Organon

Neo Member
Cool, just what I was looking for, thanks!
I think AMD is just covering their asses with that sort of requirement. (In short, probably because there are bad PSUs with a high power rating that don't do that well.) The HD7770 has a lower TDP than your old card. (According to Wikipedia.) Also, it has only one PCI-E connector, like your old card. So I wouldn't worry about it.

eso76

I think AMD is just covering their asses with that sort of requirement.

that's what i think everyone is doing.
Asus too reports ridiculous requirements for my configuration, like 750w minimum while it appears a 500w 80+ certified is more than enough.

Scala

First of all, sorry my english and my poor pc hardware knowledge.
My system:
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz
Motherboard: Asus P5KC
Memory: 4096 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (1024 MB)
Power Supply: Don´t know... :(
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T240HD/MD 24" LCD
Case: Thermaltake Xaser III

What I need to change to play fluidly Guild Wars 2? :)
May I really need to buy a new computer...

single gtx 670 not even near enough to make a 120hz monitor purchase worth it right? talking about newest games here.

and by worth it I of course mean running your games at at least constant 120fps on the highest possible settings at at least 1080p

I'm pretty sure well-optimized games should work if you don't run them with massive amounts of non post-processed AA. Personally, I've got a 670 lined up for my new build and I'm planning on playing everything at 120 fps even if it requires lowering some settings. I'd rather have a game with fewer post effects at double the framerate, but that's just me.

Ostinatto

this guy has something to say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugUJ1eh5cmU

Smokey

SLI for 120hz gaming + highest settings.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
So do I need to purchase a CPU cooler? I'm using the OP's parts pick thing and the only thing I wasn't sure about was the. CPU cooler. Also if I want to run my cable to my pc do I need a separate card off is tha something that would be on the motherboard? Thanks guys!

So do I need to purchase a CPU cooler? I'm using the OP's parts pick thing and the only thing I wasn't sure about was the. CPU cooler. Also if I want to run my cable to my pc do I need a separate card off is tha something that would be on the motherboard? Thanks guys!

If you are gonna overclock you're CPU then yes it will be really handy. If not the processor package comes with a cooler so you can use that.

As for the cable question: what kinda of cable are you talking? cable as in the coaxial one from your box/TV, HDMI, ethernet, etc.

Caramuru

Neo Member
CPU is OK. Try not to let the 670 above 70c (first downclock point) but 80c is still safe.

CPU are a little high for 3.8 though, what is the vcore set to? My 4.4ghz at 1.14v gets a max of 65c.

HWMonitor says VCore's at 1.06V. I've not changed anything on BIOS but XMP Profile. This slight overclock (3.8) is due my mobo (GB Z77X-UD5H), by default.

mkenyon

Banned
so 120fps mid/low settings > 60fps ultra settings ???

yes or no?
If we are talking about competitive games, I will drop anything to get to 120fps.

I loaded up Skyrim yesterday with the high res texture pack and settings on ultra. Just so happens it was playing at 130-140fps, but I would have been happy with 80-90.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hey guys, any major differences between the HAF 912, 300R and 400R? I want to get one of the three, but is there something on either of these that would hurt me in the future?

I'm planning to pick up a new case + PSU (Either 650 or 750) for now.

Later upgrades would include a new SSD probably but I'm happy with my current other hardware (AMD Phenom X4 965, GTX 460). Way down the line I'd probably do a full Mobo/CPU upgrade.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Took my first ever trip to a Microcenter today (I'm Canadian).

Bought some of that sweet sweet 30nm Samsung RAM for about 15$ less than I'd get it for back home.

Was really realllly tempted by the 2500k for $159, but holding out for a used one.

mkenyon, yeah, buying your motherboard I guess, since I got the RAM for it :)
Not going to find used for better than that.
Question about upgrading video cards...

I currently have a 420w PSU and want to upgrade my video card to something more recent (currently a HD5770). Would I need a power boost for something like a HD7770?
If you are running a 5770 you are fine, but I'd suggest a PSU upgrade to something cheap like a VP450 and getting a newer more powerful card. 7770 is not a big jump.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Can anyone help tell me what's the major difference between the GTX 670 and the FTW version? I'm going to make a purchase soon and I'd like to be a bit informed...

Akkad

Banned
Is the corsair AX650 built by Seasonic? Also why is it the only one out of the AX line with a 5 year warranty while the rest have a 7 year warranty?

MrBig

Can anyone help tell me what's the major difference between the GTX 670 and the FTW version? I'm going to make a purchase soon and I'd like to be a bit informed...

The Evga versions? The GTX 670 is a reference 670, and the GTX 670 FTW is on a 680 PCB. Get the FTW if you need the ref cooler but if you want it to be quieter and cooler get a non reference Asus/Gigabyte/MSI 670.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The Evga versions? The GTX 670 is a reference 670, and the GTX 670 FTW is on a 680 PCB. Get the FTW if you need the ref cooler but if you want it to be quieter and cooler get a non reference Asus/Gigabyte/MSI 670.

What's the difference between a reference and a non-reference? Thanks for answering my question previously btw!

Vossler

Quick question. Anybody hear of ASUS no longer making the 670 Direct CU II TOP edition? I have one currently, and was going to sli down the line, but it's no longer listed on newegg, and has a huge premium on amazon. Anyone have any info on this be discontinued?

mkenyon

Banned
Quick question. Anybody hear of ASUS no longer making the 670 Direct CU II TOP edition? I have one currently, and was going to sli down the line, but it's no longer listed on newegg, and has a huge premium on amazon. Anyone have any info on this be discontinued?
It's just highly sought after.
So, from what I read is that the cooling design is different. Is that about right?
Yep. Reference cooling isn't as good for the most part. There are some cases that require it, namely the ones from Silverstone. Some other cases that are restrictive would also do much better with a reference design.

They're definitely still in production, quite readily available here in the UK.

mkenyon

Banned
So once I buy this SSD -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007P71J9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How do I put my Windows 7 on it and the 1 MMORPG I play? Will I have to do a fresh windows install.. At this point I don't even know how I got my windows 7. It was an upgrade from a student version and right now I have no key / CD. I think this has stopped me from going SSD.
A quick google revealed that you can look up your product key on your current install. That will help you get going.

Yes, you need to reformat.

---------------------------------------------------------

Heads up - Tiger Direct selling Samsung 830 128GB for $90.

Leckan

How does sound work with when you play on a HDTV? I get that if you use an HDMI cable to the TV it will output the sound, but how does headphones work if you have a Dolby Headphone 5.1 soundcard like an Asus DG?

scogoth

How does sound work with when you play on a HDTV? I get that if you use an HDMI cable to the TV it will output the sound, but how does headphones work if you have a Dolby Headphone 5.1 soundcard like an Asus DG?

Tell windows to output the sound to your soundcard instead of HDMI in control panel.

MrBig

There are a bunch of different ways to do it but this is how I have it set up

ilsWKH184GW35.jpg

Headphones are on my Xonar DG, TV is on my 670 so sound is handled via nvidia drivers over HDMI, desk speakers are on the Asus Z77 onboard sound. I have the sound menu pinned to the taskbar and just hit "set default" to quickly switch between them. If you're sending sound to a TV via HDMI and then send the TV sound to a receiver system it is likely that you will not get a 5.1 signal but a stereo signal as the HDMI connection only sees the TV. If you want to run sound directly to the receiver you can use an optical cable (which you would just need onboard sound for since it's digital) or run the HDMI cable through it if it supports video passthrough.

ink4n3

Awesome, didn't know you could do that.. I just gotta find my disk or make a disk.

I had this same issue where I had a student upgrade version of Windows 7. I used a program to strip my key off of my current install but Windows wouldn't activate with this key since it was just an upgrade key. I think I would have went back to Vista and then used that key to upgrade to 7.

I ended up just getting another student key for 7 ultimate so I'm not sure if you'll get it to work out. Do you still have your Vista or XP key?

MrBig

So with dual monitors. How do you make one side use one background and the other use a different background?

This has not been a part of windows until Windows 8, in which you just right click the image and select the monitor number.

mkenyon

Banned
I had this same issue where I had a student upgrade version of Windows 7. I used a program to strip my key off of my current install but Windows wouldn't activate with this key since it was just an upgrade key. I think I would have went back to Vista and then used that key to upgrade to 7.

I ended up just getting another student key for 7 ultimate so I'm not sure if you'll get it to work out. Do you still have your Vista or XP key?
Double install to make upgrade keys work.

You do one without a key, then upgrade/repair (I'm not certain on which - hopefully someone will speak up) with the upgrade key. It's legit too, not a 'sneaky' way of doing things.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Well.

Apparently anytime I touch a PC it breaks. Swapped my old stuff into my new case (400R) with a new CPU (TX650) andddddd I got nothing.

Powers on just fine, all the fans are going but nothing is being outputted. Tried the onboard out put, swapped in the old PSU and nothing.

Leckan

There are a bunch of different ways to do it but this is how I have it set up

ilsWKH184GW35.jpg

Headphones are on my Xonar DG, TV is on my 670 so sound is handled via nvidia drivers over HDMI, desk speakers are on the Asus Z77 onboard sound. I have the sound menu pinned to the taskbar and just hit "set default" to quickly switch between them. If you're sending sound to a TV via HDMI and then send the TV sound to a receiver system it is likely that you will not get a 5.1 signal but a stereo signal as the HDMI connection only sees the TV. If you want to run sound directly to the receiver you can use an optical cable (which you would just need onboard sound for since it's digital) or run the HDMI cable through it if it supports video passthrough.

What if you don't have a reciever?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well.

Apparently anytime I touch a PC it breaks. Swapped my old stuff into my new case (400R) with a new CPU (TX650) andddddd I got nothing.

Powers on just fine, all the fans are going but nothing is being outputted. Tried the onboard out put, swapped in the old PSU and nothing.
Plug in the 4/8 pin power?

Recheck your CPU seating and that memory is securely in.

Unplug and replug all your connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom