• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Did all that. My CPU was properly mounted, it was on the same mobo I just moved over
Is it posting? If you're not getting a signal, you might want to remove and remount your video card, and make sure that the cables are seated properly in it.

Also, really double check your memory and all of your plugs. Not like "push on them a bit", but literally pull everything out and push it back in.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Is it posting? If you're not getting a signal, you might want to remove and remount your video card, and make sure that the cables are seated properly in it.

Also, really double check your memory and all of your plugs. Not like "push on them a bit", but literally pull everything out and push it back in.

Yup, did all that. I literally took everything out, tried it on again with no results.

I went out and got a new motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990FX. Yes, it is compatible with my CPU - Phenom II X4 965. Low and behold it's still not POSTing.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I mis-read about the 2x4 COnnectors. Yeah. :|

Entropia

No One Remembers
You try assembling it outside of the case?

No, upon reading another board about an error I was getting, I put two and two together. I didn't plug in that other 2x4 Pin connector that you had mentioned. Of course this is after I went out and bought a new Mobo...

mkenyon

Banned
Return it!

It clearly didn't work with your case. They didn't make that clear to you. Yep. Money on a dead socket is a serious waste.

Glad it's all working now.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Has anyone got a Logitech K750 Solar keyboard?

I got one for my soon-to-delivered-PC and I'm very worried. I hadn't noticed until after I bought it, but I'm reading tons of feedback saying how it works great at first but goes bad after a few months of use (the battery starts to inexplicably suck). Has anyone been using it for more than 3 months, and does it work as well as it did when you bought it?

Obviously for now it works great, but I only got it today.

kennah

Has anyone got a Logitech K750 Solar keyboard?

I got one for my soon-to-delivered-PC and I'm very worried. I hadn't noticed until after I bought it, but I'm reading tons of feedback saying how it works great at first but goes bad after a few months of use (the battery starts to inexplicably suck). Has anyone been using it for more than 3 months, and does it work as well as it did when you bought it?

Obviously for now it works great, but I only got it today.

I've had one for more than a year and it still works great. Love it.

If you have kids - be careful, the keys come off really really easy.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I've had one for more than a year and it still works great. Love it.

If you have kids - be careful, the keys come off really really easy.

Fortunately I don't have kids, but thanks for the heads up anyway :). I'm glad you're not having any issues with it after a year. I saw so much negative feedback that I was starting to think that all K750 had that battery issue and solar cells just sucked. I hope mine will work as well as yours a few years down the road.

[EDIT] Have you been using it regularly? Have you taken any particular precautions (like turning it off and putting it near a window for hours whenever you're not using it)?

kennah

Fortunately I don't have kids, but thanks for the heads up anyway :). I'm glad you're not having any issues with it after a year. I saw so much negative feedback that I was starting to think that all K750 had that battery issue and solar cells just sucked. I hope mine will work as well as yours a few years down the road.

[EDIT] Have you been using it regularly? Have you taken any particular precautions (like turning it off and putting it near a window for hours whenever you're not using it)?

Gets used every day. Is left on and not near a window. No problems. They say you can leave it in a drawer for three months.

hitmon

Need some advice. Which hdd should I get?

Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 128GB SSD @ $90

or

Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB @ $75

Is the SSD worth the premium performance-wise? I'm assuming SSD peforms better, I really have no clue.

mkenyon

Banned
Need some advice. Which hdd should I get?

Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 128GB SSD @ $90

or

Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB @ $75

Is the SSD worth the premium performance-wise? I'm assuming SSD peforms better, I really have no clue.
If media storage, Spinpoint. If operating system and some games, Samsung 830.

Everything opens instantly, and there are no moving parts, so it operates silently.

hitmon

If media storage, Spinpoint. If operating system and some games, Samsung 830.

Everything opens instantly, and there are no moving parts, so it operates silently.

Thanks! Unfortunately my hesitation cost me as I can't get the SSD anymore. Just going to have to keep an eye out now.

abasm

So are there good mini-ATX cases out there that can handle a solid mid-range GPU and quadcore?

BitFenix Prodigy looks promising.
prodigy_1.jpg

Salsa

so I have these tasks running:

- a torrent client (not downloading anything ilegal police-gaf :p)
- 3 chrome windows opened, one with 5 tabs
- Steam
- fraps
- UltraMon (multi monitor software)
- antivir

ant this is my current ram usage:

fLnPr.png

isn't that a bit... high?

knitoe

- Steam
- fraps
- antivir

Click on the second tab and you will see what's using your ram.

Sethos

Banned

- Steam
- fraps
- antivir

Windows allocates unused RAM for cache purposes, when it's required it frees them up again. It's just effective RAM usage.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gentlemen, it's never too early to ask but I'm planning on upgrading my GPU around Feb-March next year. I've read lots but I want some first hand advice.

I'm eyeing a 680 with aftermarket cooling. I seen the classified and other fancy termed GPU's and they all look enticing. Is it suspected that we will see even better GPU's by Feb of next year or should an OC'd 680 be my number 1 choice?

Also, with power requirements, it seems that the 680 uses even less than my 6970 which is quite amazing in my eyes. I have a 600w PSU which currently supports my 4.8ghz 2500k and my OC'd 950/1450mhz 6970.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gentlemen, it's never too early to ask but I'm planning on upgrading my GPU around Feb-March next year. I've read lots but I want some first hand advice.

I'm eyeing a 680 with aftermarket cooling. I seen the classified and other fancy termed GPU's and they all look enticing. Is it suspected that we will see even better GPU's by Feb of next year or should an OC'd 680 be my number 1 choice?

Also, with power requirements, it seems that the 680 uses even less than my 6970 which is quite amazing in my eyes. I have a 600w PSU which currently supports my 4.8ghz 2500k and my OC'd 950/1450mhz 6970.
Don't bother about anything now.
Just wait 6 months and come back.

mkenyon

Banned
So are there good mini-ATX cases out there that can handle a solid mid-range GPU and quadcore?
Fractal Arc Mini, Silverstone TJ08, Silverstone FT03, Lian Li V700, Fractal Define Mini.
BitFenix Prodigy looks promising.
It's an ITX, but it can do quite a bit. For those interested, I'm building one of these guys right now with:

Z77 ITX
EVGA 670
AX650 w/ unisleeved black cables
Samsung 30nm RAM
128gb SSD
NuForce uDac custom mounted internally
XSPC waterblocks for CPU and 670
Two radiators mounted internally

The fact that you can have a case so small with so much in it is amazing. My only hangup about itx previously was the lack of a soundcard. USB DAC takes care of that worry. I'm hoping the EVGA ITX board launches this week. If not, going to get started with the ASRock I think.

Riggs

Banned

What is your current GPU? Just upgraded to an EVGA Superclocked GTX 680 and I love it.

Edit, oh the 6970. Ehhh not sure if it's worth it, not familiar with AMD really man so I can't give solid advice.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
is it worth getting a 670 now?. Reason I ask is that I might be able to get rid of my 560 ti's for a decent price and only have to pay up ~100ish bucks for the msi 670.

for the 100 extra I'll be getting twice the ram, 1 v 2gb, getting rid of SLI, less heat, less powerdraw, bigger OC headroom and roughly the same performance... so I guess looking at those factors it's definitely worth it but how long until 7xx is out?

mkenyon

Banned
is it worth getting a 670 now?. Reason I ask is that I might be able to get rid of my 560 ti's for a decent price and only have to pay up ~100ish bucks for the msi 670.

for the 100 extra I'll be getting twice the ram, 1 v 2gb, getting rid of SLI, less heat, less powerdraw, bigger OC headroom and roughly the same performance... so I guess looking at those factors it's definitely worth it but how long until 7xx is out?
Not worth it unless you're running out of VRAM right now. Likely a year before 7xx is out.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Not worth it unless you're running out of VRAM right now. Likely a year before 7xx is out.

I play at 2560x1440 and am starting to feel that games are bleeding my cards dry of their measly 1gb.

You really don't think all of those factors would validate a ~100 usd difference? You still got your 560s? Or did you go kepler?

Whoo, thanks in part to this thread, my new build is actually up and running stable with a really clean Windows installation. Temps are decent but not amazing at stock speeds. Will try to get my cpu to 4,2GHz as well as make a backup image of my Windows installation once I've got all my essential software in there.

Exuro

EVO has a slightly newer, slightly quieter fan, if I'm looking at the details correctly. Discussion here seems to go along 'it doesn't matter which one you get, get whichever is cheaper'
Thanks, decided to pick up the regular one as it's $15 cheaper/

mkenyon

Banned
I play at 2560x1440 and am starting to feel that games are bleeding my cards dry of their measly 1gb.

You really don't think all of those factors would validate a ~100 usd difference? You still got your 560s? Or did you go kepler?
Don't use me as a reference point :p

Have a 690 in one, a 7970 in another, and a 670 in a small build I'm working on.

Honestly, at that resolution, I'd say 7970 over a 670. You can find them for crazy cheap used. 3GB is really a great spot for 1440p.

*edit*
Check out the reviews of the 7970 at higher resolutions. It really shines there, and generally outperforms 680s when clocked properly (GHz edition is a good reference point, but there isn't a 7970 out there that can't clock higher than that).

longdi

Banned

i vote for tj08e. while a little costly, it is the most compact matx and once you add a 120mm rear fan, the cooling is great and the dust filtering works. plan your assembly first as with all small casing.

I built a new PC using this thread a few month ago and, since I didn't have any extenders, I ended up plugging all of my fans directly into the PSU. The fans constantly roaring at 100% obviously keeps it pretty cool, but the sound is unbearable at long periods of time. So, last week, I got some of the wire extenders which allowed me to plug at least the side panel fans into the SYS FAN slots on the motherboard.

It's been a week and I don't believe these fans have turned on a single time since then. I'm not having any heat issues, but the CPU got to about 40C (idle temp is usually low 20's) when playing a game earlier and that seems like a temp when the fans should kick on at least a little bit, right? Or is this normal? Is there some sort of software or hardware fan controller I need to look into?

I'm not really worried about the temps I'm getting at all, but a bit concerned about having some parts in there that seem to be doing nothing.

Thanks for any help!

Salsa

You know I never thought about just waiting up for 7xx. I plan on getting a 670 or 680 by next week and truth be told the single 560ti that I have right now is serviceable enough.

eh, then again if you get into that game you might as well just be waiting forever since they put them out so close to each other.

mkenyon

Banned
A NAS/Fileserver is the most reliable as it allows for redundancy. Lets say you have 4 HDD's in RAID5. One drive can fail, then you can just replace it and the RAID will rebuild the file structure as if nothing were ever lost. RAID 1 takes two HDDs and mirrors them.

QNAP, Synology, and Western Digital Sentinel are great picks there if you need dead reliability.

If you're looking for just some media storage that you are hoping won't fail, WD Caviar Black is a good way to go. If you need it to not fail, you should have two in RAID1 at the very least.
You know I never thought about just waiting up for 7xx. I plan on getting a 670 or 680 by next week and truth be told the single 560ti that I have right now is serviceable enough.

eh, then again if you get into that game you might as well just be waiting forever since they put them out so close to each other.
7xx could be a year. Could be 8 months, or even 6. I'd guess closer to the 8-12 month range.

ShaneB

I know there have been gaming mice threads before, but I’m not exactly sure where to specifically ask this, so I figure here is as good as any due to the tech nature of it. I upgrade my mouse recently, got the Steelseries WoW mmo gaming mouse for a nice deal. Enjoying it so far, and its massive size is great for my hands, but have one issue…. the main left/right click buttons are so damn loud, is there any way to quiet them down? Modifications, etc etc? I mean it’s not so bad when gaming and I’ve got headphones on, but if I’m just surfing around the net, it’s annoying.

Fou-Lu

Fractal Arc Mini, Silverstone TJ08, Silverstone FT03, Lian Li V700, Fractal Define Mini.

It's an ITX, but it can do quite a bit. For those interested, I'm building one of these guys right now with:

Z77 ITX
EVGA 670
AX650 w/ unisleeved black cables
Samsung 30nm RAM
128gb SSD
NuForce uDac custom mounted internally
XSPC waterblocks for CPU and 670
Two radiators mounted internally

The fact that you can have a case so small with so much in it is amazing. My only hangup about itx previously was the lack of a soundcard. USB DAC takes care of that worry. I'm hoping the EVGA ITX board launches this week. If not, going to get started with the ASRock I think.

How much did this cost you? Sounds like an amazing little PC. (Also, where are you finding used computer parts? I can never find anything like a 7970 used...)

Check BIOS, they might be disabled.

I couldn't find anything in the BIOS about enabling or disabling specific fans; the only fan related options were 'Smart Fan', which is set to normal (regulated by temperature), and 'Enable/disable fan failure warnings' which were all disabled.

Should these fans be kicking on, or is it possible that the computer doesn't think it's hot enough to warrant running them? If not, I guess the only other possibility is that these two ports are defective.

Noaloha

It really shines there, and generally outperforms 680s when clocked properly (GHz edition is a good reference point, but there isn't a 7970 out there that can't clock higher than that).

Referring to the bolded, and with regards to the voltage-locked Asus DCU 7970s, has it been possible to get the stock 925MHz up to / above the 1GHz without the overvolting option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom