• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I know... But I have to change cooler anyway because in game such as Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 I get even 77°C :/

The problem is that I have a little case (well, a normal mid tower) so a "tower" cooler (like the Archon) is not in an option... Are those all-in-one any good? I saw some benchmark for the Antec kuhler H2O 620 and it seemed good.
I'm not interested in overclocking my cpu.
No one?

Monarch

Banned
I just received my Asus 670 DC2.
What a fucking beast :O
Anything I throw at it is handled @60 rock-solid FPS, all maxed out. Going from a 570GTX I never believed the difference would be this huge!
Now to try stressing it a bit with a bit of downsampling ... :>

BTW my max stable OC Boost clock is around 1254Mhz while the memory is @7208Mhz effective. Is that considered a good chip or not so much ? I've never dug too much in the kepler launch infos to know exactly.

Coldsnap

I want a laptop with really good speakers (so I can blast Giantbomb videos) and can play FFXIV (quality hardware because game is super unoptimized)

MrBig

I just received my Asus 670 DC2.
What a fucking beast :O
Anything I throw at it is handled @60 rock-solid FPS, all maxed out. Going from a 570GTX I never believed the difference would be this huge!
Now to try stressing it a bit with a bit of downsampling ... :>

BTW my max stable OC Boost clock is around 1254Mhz while the memory is @7208Mhz effective. Is that considered a good chip or not so much ? I've never dug too much in the kepler launch infos to know exactly.
Yeah it's great for 1080p. 1250 is about average.

I want a laptop with really good speakers (so I can blast Giantbomb videos) and can play FFXIV (quality hardware because game is super unoptimized)

Laptop thread

Ok, so, help me out PC gaf... I have absolutely nothing except for speakers, so I'll also need you to recommend me a nice monitor (which size is best suited for this, GAF?). I already have a windows license, so that's covered.

So, you have a 850$ budget, and it needs to have these:

- At least 4 USB ports
- At least 8GB RAM
- Monitor with 2 HDMI ports
- 1TB HDDx2
- WiFi
- CD/DVD drive (to play them oldies I have laying around)
- As silent as possible.

Thank you in advance, PC Gaf. ^^

This ^

I'm a hardware noob, so I won't be able to help much. I'm having a close friend who owns a computer store making it, but I need GAF's input here as he's not a gamer and therefore not the right person to ask for a build.

This ^

I'm a hardware noob, so I won't be able to help much. I'm having a close friend who owns a computer store making it, but I need GAF's input here as he's not a gamer and therefore not the right person to ask for a build.

Fill this in:

Basic Desktop Questions:
  • Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU / PSU
  • Budget: Price Range + Country
  • Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, HD Streaming, 3D work, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback). Rate importance on a 1-5 scale. (5 Being highest)
  • Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
  • List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Self Explanatory.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W)
  • When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two?
  • Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes)

Basic Desktop Questions:
  • Your Current Specs: None.
  • Budget: 850$/700€ Portugal
  • Main Use: Gaming, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) both 5. Everything else 1.
  • Monitor Resolution: New monitor. With 2 HDMI, preferably.
  • List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: DayZ
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: No
  • When will you build?: I can wait 1 month, more or less. Very close friend who owns shop will build for me free of charge except parts, of course.
  • Will you be overclocking?: No.

Basic Desktop Questions:
  • Your Current Specs: None.
  • Budget: 850$/700€ Portugal
  • Main Use: Gaming, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) both 5. Everything else 1.
  • Monitor Resolution: New monitor. With 2 HDMI, preferably.
  • List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: DayZ
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: No
  • When will you build?: I can wait 1 month, more or less. Very close friend who owns shop will build for me free of charge except parts, of course.
  • Will you be overclocking?: No.

Get the enhanced build from the OP, and stick on a 1080p monitor. Should easily be under €700.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey guys, im pretty sure now my 4870x2 is about to crap out. I might need a replacement before i build a new machine. I can spend 150 or less. I have 4 gb ddr3 1333 ram, q9550 quad cpu oc'd to 3.4 ghz, corsair 750 tx psu, and a p5e3 premium MB. Im basically looking for a card that will be an improvement over a 4870x2 or maybe even equal, and wont be super bottlenecked by the rest of my pc which is pretty old now. (Was bought top of the line in 2008)

LEGGZZZZ

Gaf I have a question, I have one gtx 680 now, but plan on upgrading to another this week.
How I go about downloading drivers for the second card? Do I have to uninstall anything or do I just go to nvidia.com and download the same driver again? Dumb question I know, thanks for any help.

Quoting this again for help, anyone know the procedure?

~Kinggi~

Banned
If you are getting an nvidia card again of the same brand and series most likely you wont have to install any new drivers. Check the nvidia driver website and see if the new card is grouped with the old one when you try to download. Just to be safe though you can always download a new one anyway, uninstall your old one first, then run it.

Edit: nevermind i thought you were switching to another card not adding a 2nd.

Enlil

MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC artnr. 518473 : stukprijs a € 382,86
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H artnr. 497340 : stukprijs a € 113,07
Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M artnr. 434498 : stukprijs a € 109,98
Corsair Hydro Series H70 CORE High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler artnr. 448680 : stukprijs a € 78,97
Intel Core i7 3770K / 3.5 GHz artnr. 485488 : stukprijs a € 316,85
WD Caviar Green WD20EARX artnr. 404841 : stukprijs a € 106,99
Kingston ValueRAM artnr. 527129 : € 170,27

instead of the cooler master haf x i want to go for the Thermaltake Spacecraft VF-I - Midtowermodel. it will save me 100 euros and the top part can be used to mount my h70.

will 2 gpu's fit in this case, if i decide to add another gpu in the future?

Spl1nter

I returned my 670 FTW and replaced it with a Gigabyte 670. Wasnt happy with the temps and noise from the FTW. Hope to have that improved with the Gigabyte card.

edit: initial impressions its significantly better than the ftw. mkenyon was right in saying its the WTF version. Runs so quite and cooler in comparison.

One very odd issue I was having was cpu usage being quite heavy on the first core in BF3 which shouldnt be the case. For whatever reason it seems that changing graphics card has made the distribution between cores more equal. WTF!

Wow so all I do is connect the other card? I feel like a complete idiot. Thanks.

Yup, once the card is connected Windows will recognize there are two cards. You may need to change some Nvidia settings, but there are no additional drivers (I believe AMD does require CAP drivers) needed. Some people recommend you delete all old drivers before installing a second card, though in my experience it doesn't make a difference.

Muck Da Duck

Neo Member
EDIT- Nevermind fixed it.
Here's my build anyways though.

Here's my parts.
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
GPU (Haven't installed): GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-2GD GeForce GTX 680 2GB
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

I just finished building the majority of my first build. I installed the CPU, CPU cooler, memory, HDD, optical drive, and power supply and connected all the cables I could (at least I think I did, this is the first time I've done this.) The only thing I haven't installed is a video card which I was planning on installing next weekend after it arrives.

Anyways on to my problem. I wasn't sure if I needed a graphics card to try booting it up for the first time but I tried anyway using the power button and by connecting the power switch prongs, neither worked. Am I doing something wrong? Did I forget to connect something important or is it not possible to boot up my build without a graphics card installed?

Here's my parts.
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347
GPU (Haven't installed): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125422
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=Samsung F3 1TB
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=AX850
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133191
Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

As mkenyon mentioned earlier, its easier for everyone if you include the part names in your post rather than just linking to them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corsair Hydro Series H70 CORE High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler artnr. 448680 : stukprijs a € 78,97

instead of the cooler master haf x i want to go for the Thermaltake Spacecraft VF-I - Midtowermodel. it will save me 100 euros and the top part can be used to mount my h70.

Looks like it to me
I returned my 670 FTW and replaced it with a Gigabyte 670. Wasnt happy with the temps and noise from the FTW. Hope to have that improved with the Gigabyte card.

edit: initial impressions its significantly better than the ftw. mkenyon was right in saying its the WTF version. Runs so quite and cooler in comparison.

One very odd issue I was having was cpu usage being quite heavy on the first core in BF3 which shouldnt be the case. For whatever reason it seems that changing graphics card has made the distribution between cores more equal. WTF!
Yeah the GB is the best 670 imo, the ASUS right behind it only since it costs more.
Manually setup your fan profile and you should be more impressed.

The price for RAM you listed is about 100 Euros above the regular (assuming you are getting 4x4GB). You can easily get Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB kit for 100 Euros.

Enlil

The price for RAM you listed is about 100 Euros above the regular (assuming you are getting 4x4GB). You can easily get Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB kit for 100 Euros.

lol. i should put a signature. i am gonna need 32gb for music production. the ram price is right. but thanks for noticing it. means you are intersted in helping me. thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
Enlil, after reading your requirements and what you want out of a PC, I really think it'd be worth it for you to consider an X79 motherboard and a 3930K. It's increased cost, but it'll have a lot longer of a lifespan compared to Z77/3770K, and you can stuff a ton of RAM on the boards. If it's a 10 year PC, the extra price seems worth every penny.

*edit*

You should also be using this RAM if it's available where you live.

As far as cases/motherboards go, if your samples are that big, it seems like you might want to consider eventually adding a RAID component. Maybe a motherboard that has a really good SATA controller, or even thunderbolt, to help you with storage down the line. With cases, try to see if the Fractal XL or Define R4 is available. The sound deadening material will be really beneficial working with music. It's pretty much the case of choice for sound labs.

The WD Green drives are extremely unreliable. If you're going to be needing that HDD to be totally rock solid (as I assume the music production is job related), you need to be using at least a RAID1 setup with two good drives. Ultimately, a NAS/RAID box which plugs into your computer via esata would be a great option.

If you have backup solutions already, I'd still suggest nothing lower than a WD Caviar Black. WD Enterprise if you want to ensure longevity.

I know most of the people here ask questions about what motherboard/CPU/GPU to buy but I am looking for something a little different. What sound cards are recommended? I have an ASUS P8P67 Pro and i5-2500k and I feel like buying a dedicated card to handle all audio. I have narrowed it down to the ASUS Xonar DGX ($40) and Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D ($80) but I am always open to other suggestions. I have never purchased one of these before so I am not aware of any history with any of these products. I just want something that outputs high quality audio in 5.1 with toslink.

Caelus

I'm planning to reuse some parts from an old comp, so I just want to know if it's compatible.

Old RAM:
4 GB 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM
four memory connectors
BIOS address F0000h

Old Drives:
1. ST3808110AS ATA Device
2. WDC WD800JD-75MSA3 ATA Device

Newer parts:

-BitFenix Shinobi XL Window Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
-GIGABYTE GV-N560448-13I GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
-Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450
-Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply

I'm not completely sure, my dad's going to help with most of the building. The case isn't required, I could use a case from an old Dell Dimension E510, in which I could just replace the GPU, motherboard, CPU and PSU?

abunai

I'm planning to reuse some parts from an old comp, so I just want to know if it's compatible.

Old RAM:
4 GB 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM
four memory connectors
BIOS address F0000h

Old Drives:
1. ST3808110AS ATA Device
2. WDC WD800JD-75MSA3 ATA Device

Newer parts:

-BitFenix Shinobi XL Window Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
-GIGABYTE GV-N560448-13I GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
-Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450
-Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply

I'm not completely sure, my dad's going to help with most of the building. The case isn't required, I could use a case from an old Dell Dimension E510, in which I could just replace the GPU, motherboard, CPU and PSU?

DDR2 RAM won't work on a DDR3 motherboard (modern ones). Your hard drives will be fine. The Dimension E510 case won't be a good idea, it'll be cramped and have awful air flow or components just wont fit. CPU, motherboard, GPU and power supply will work together and would fit in the BitFenix case.

kharma45

So a 660 Ti should run no problem on a 550W PSU?

If so, it looks like I'll be sticking to the 660 Ti instead of the 570 for my build. :D

You'll have no problem with any current generation card, from a 7850 to a 7970 they'll all run.

570 is power hungry though in comparison to the new gen of chips.

Enlil

Enlil, after reading your requirements and what you want out of a PC, I really think it'd be worth it for you to consider an X79 motherboard and a 3930K. It's increased cost, but it'll have a lot longer of a lifespan compared to Z77/3770K, and you can stuff a ton of RAM on the boards. If it's a 10 year PC, the extra price seems worth every penny.

*edit*

You should also be using this RAM if it's available where you live.

As far as cases/motherboards go, if your samples are that big, it seems like you might want to consider eventually adding a RAID component. Maybe a motherboard that has a really good SATA controller, or even thunderbolt, to help you with storage down the line. With cases, try to see if the Fractal XL or Define R4 is available. The sound deadening material will be really beneficial working with music. It's pretty much the case of choice for sound labs.

The WD Green drives are extremely unreliable. If you're going to be needing that HDD to be totally rock solid (as I assume the music production is job related), you need to be using at least a RAID1 setup with two good drives. Ultimately, a NAS/RAID box which plugs into your computer via esata would be a great option.

If you have backup solutions already, I'd still suggest nothing lower than a WD Caviar Black. WD Enterprise if you want to ensure longevity.

Cooler Master Elite 370 artnr. 281570 : stukprijs a € 38,14
WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS artnr. 81174 : stukprijs a € 95,70
MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC artnr. 509373 : stukprijs a € 498,49

Hi mkenyon,

It's not that i cannot afford it, it just seems a bit too much. I did as you said and changed the WD GREEN with a WD BLACK. 1TB less, but i don't need more. I have external storage. When SSD get cheaper i will get a SSD drive.

The 1333MHZ RAM work fine with music samples.

So I decided to go with the 680. The reason for this is because the 670 and 680 differ slightly in FPS. I have seen differences from 1 fps between these cards going up to 10 fps in difference. now for a single card it wouldn't make a difference, but looking at the future a 680 sli is going to be much better because the 680 sli would get between 2-20 more fps. For now it doesn't matter but when games come out in 3-4 years these fps are going to matter, even if they are just 5 fps more. So it would be wise to go for the 680.

I changed the cooler master HAF X with the Cooler Master Elite 370, It's a midtower case, very cheap, saw some reviews on Youtube. Just want to know from you guy's if 2 680's would fit in here, if it does i am very happy with that price.

total price including shipping: 1.439,95. GAF just saved me 350-400 euro's.

Going to sleep now, when i wake up i am going to order this unless any of you have any last bit of advice!

kennah

Yeah it'll be fine.

Why a 570 though with the 660Ti on the way and the 7850 out?
Great deal on one through a Gaffer! :)

Getting a P67 Sabretooth and a 2500k the same way hopefully.

All will be a pretty good upgrade from my q6600 and 6850. Going to sneak in an SSD as well.

Fou-Lu

Only a month until I can order my PC, right now I'm thinking i5 2500k, 8GB RAM and a 7970 with one of those Korean 2560x1440 monitors. I'm guessing I should be able to run most games maxed with that resolution?

abunai

Only a month until I can order my PC, right now I'm thinking i5 2500k, 8GB RAM and a 7970 with one of those Korean 2560x1440 monitors. I'm guessing I should be able to run most games maxed with that resolution?

Some games will drag the FPS down, if you want a rock solid 60fps at that resolution you really need to SLI/Xfire unfortunately. It'll run everything great, but just not 60fps in 100% of titles. For Example, this review shows single and dual cards at 2560x1600 (which is close enough) for a few titles - Xfire is needed in some to achieve 60fps max.

Arsin

So I just got my 670 FTW card and after reading all these things about it on here I am pretty upset at myself. I just replaced a 7870 with this card thinking that it was the best in the price range. With the ASUS Top out of stock just about every where it felt like a good option. Am I just totally boned here? Should I replace it with a Gigabye card or is the only major complaint with the card that is is loud and hot? If it is the later could I fix that problem if I bought an after market cooler for the card? It would be a big hassle for me to get a different card, so if I would like to avoid that as much as possible.

So I just got my 670 FTW card and after reading all these things about it on here I am pretty upset at myself. I just replaced a 7870 with this card thinking that it was the best in the price range. With the ASUS Top out of stock just about every where it felt like a good option. Am I just totally boned here? Should I replace it with a Gigabye card or is the only major complaint with the card that is is loud and hot? If it is the later could I fix that problem if I bought an after market cooler for the card? It would be a big hassle for me to get a different card, so if I would like to avoid that as much as possible.

Aftermarket coolers might not fit non-reference cards. It's not that a big a difference, no need to feel bad about owning any 670.

statham

have a phenom 6- 2.7, 6 GB, and a 460GTX and a 5200 drive HD. I actually think my HD is okay. I play on a 900p monitor, what upgrade would you make? I bought another 2gb for $14 bucks , but I think I'll stick with this unless something make a huge difference for under $200.

Fou-Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom