• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys I'm trying to set up a way to stream console games but I have a lot of questions that hopefully you guys can answer. I know this isn't the proper place to do it but this is the closest thread i know where i can get my questions answered and it's relevant. If you need my specs I have the following

i7-3770k
z77 sabertooth
GTX 670
no audio
750 PSU
8GB 1600 RAM.

So my question is, what capture/stream card do you guys suggest?
Do I need two computers to stream? How about capture?
I've seen some cards come with VGA and HDMI, and not two HDMI? doesn't this mean that one output isn't going to have sound?
Do I need two monitors to stream? How about Capture?
I will answer this tonight in depth, I put a block up on GAF at my workplace to get lots done this week in prep for a week off, so can't go into detail on phone.

Tl;dr, black magic intensity pro, you only need one monitor and can stream from the same rig but will take some performance hit if you play comp games. No performance hit recording through it.

OEM = License Stuck with hardware.
Retail = you can move the license if you decide to change/upgrade hardware .

You can change/upgrade your hardware with an OEM as well. You may need to call MS Authorization line after a huge upgrade, but it takes about 2 minutes and you're set.

legacyzero

Banned
My Switch 810 has arrived!

202633_10151211500967292_433309122_o.jpg

218733_10151211500812292_1511786989_o.jpg

191017_10151211500257292_429408167_o.jpg

sk3

Banned
Does anyone have any suggestions for a low power booksized PC I can keep running 24/7? I need something for security cameras to write to, and I can log in remotely.

I'm thinking one of those AMD fusion PCs like Zotac, but I'd also like it to run windows 7 (So no Atom).

BurningNad

Hey guys, looking to upgrade my old faithful PC here, I know I'm better off with a new build but money is tight nowadays. I really don't have many issues with games but Guild Wars 2 has been a pain, I get 30 fps max with nothing going on with medium settings in this build:

Intel Core i5 750 here
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 here
4GB RAM
ATI 5850 here

Looking to upgrade the processor first and, if really needed, video card. I've been out of the parts loop for a while and recent info on these parts is hard to find. Any advice on what to upgrade to? Want to try to keep the same motherboard, else I'd just save up for a new build.

CatPee

Hey guys, looking to upgrade my old faithful PC here, I know I'm better off with a new build but money is tight nowadays. I really don't have many issues with games but Guild Wars 2 has been a pain, I get 30 fps max with nothing going on with medium settings in this build:

Intel Core i5 750 here
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 here
4GB RAM
ATI 5850 here

Looking to upgrade the processor first and, if really needed, video card. I've been out of the parts loop for a while and recent info on these parts is hard to find. Any advice on what to upgrade to? Want to try to keep the same motherboard, else I'd just save up for a new build.

Processor is perfectly fine. Video card is what you should upgrade. If your budget is $200-$250, go for 7850/7870. $300-$350, go for 660Ti/7950. At $400 just grab a 670.

Payrus

Should I Take the plunge?

I have these parts already.
GTX 460 768mb
Antec 900 case
OCZ 700W PSU
1080p 60Hz 22" monitor
m4 128GB SSD

These are the parts I'm replacing:
Asus P5N-E SLI 650i
Q6600
Tuniq tower 120 heatsink+120mm fan
4gb 800mhz ddr2

legacyzero

Banned
want

is that the gun metal version?

microcenter has the switch 810 for $120 after MIR....but only in glossy black. I'm seriously thinking about jumping on it...
Yeah, I went with the gun metal version. Was the most sexy.

I spent full price ($179 after shipping) so that's a good deal if you get it. Glossy black would be awesome but I just worry about finger prints.

cametall

Just got my Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 in and I've been toying with overclocking it.

I thought I had a stable OC until I started testing it in Battlefield 3. Some player characters will have a long black line jut out from a single hand, or a large black polygon will appear to jut out from their goggles some times. It doesn't happen on every player I see, just a few per match and not all the time.

Does this sound like an unstable OC or is it an issue with the game and this AMD card? When I found my supposed max (1150mhz) I would start to see flickering in Heave 3.0, then I had a hard lock in Metro 2033 when I thought I found my "adjusted" max (1100mhz).

Everything seems to be OK now at 1050mhz except for those weird polygons coming from player characters in Battlefield 3.

Fou-Lu

Whoo! Finally can order my PC.

I know I'm going for a i5 3570K and will overclock it, I want a PSU with room to crossfire/sli eventually, so about 750W? And I will of course get 8GB of ram. Have about $1000 budget, could potentially go as high as $1200. For a monitor I will be buying one of those Korean IPS monitors, but I don't include that in the budget.

I don't care if the case is quiet, I just want it to cool the hell out of my parts and keep them running for a long time. I really like the look of the Bitfenix Shinobi, very classy.

For video card I was thinking 7970, or possibly a 670. What are the best models for those two cards out there?

Every time I build a PC it takes me forever to choose a motherboard, what's a good one that'll help with overclocking and could potentially sli/crossfire? Maybe the ASUS P8Z77-V LK?

Are there any mechanical keyboards that are still good without being overly expensive?

I know people like to use SSDs for their OS and most used programs now, but I have to ask, are they really worth the price? It just feels so ridiculous spend so much on something with room for 128GBs of data.

Whoo! Finally can order my PC.

I know I'm going for a i5 3570K and will overclock it, I want a PSU with room to crossfire/sli eventually, so about 750W? And I will of course get 8GB of ram. Have about $1000 budget, could potentially go as high as $1200. For a monitor I will be buying one of those Korean IPS monitors, but I don't include that in the budget.

I don't care if the case is quiet, I just want it to cool the hell out of my parts and keep them running for a long time. I really like the look of the Bitfenix Shinobi, very classy.

For video card I was thinking 7970, or possibly a 670. What are the best models for those two cards out there?

Every time I build a PC it takes me forever to choose a motherboard, what's a good one that'll help with overclocking and could potentially sli/crossfire? Maybe the ASUS P8Z77-V LK?

Are there any mechanical keyboards that are still good without being overly expensive?

I know people like to use SSDs for their OS and most used programs now, but I have to ask, are they really worth the price? It just feels so ridiculous spend so much on something with room for 128GBs of data.

There is literally not a single purchase you can make that will improve your general computing experience (ie non-gaming) even 1/10 as much as an SSD. Unless you never do anything other than play games on your PC, an SSD is the most important upgrade IMHO.

Sarcasm

I currently use an airport extreme. It has great awesomeness but tethered laptop to desktop its freakin slow..I am thinking of picking up an asus n66 to bridge.

yay or nay?

CoilShot

Im about to purchase the ASRock z77e-itx 1155 mitx motherboard(trying to stay with the mini itx for saving space) and I had a question. I already purchased my case the BitFenix
Prodigy. Im still trying to decide rather I should go with 3770k or 3750k for my cpu. A few things to note:

I will be maxing out my RAM/Memory
I already have my graphics card GTX 570HD
I will be using this PC mainly for gaming, watching blu-ray movies and listening to music
I probably wont be overclocking it for a while if at all

Which CPU would be overall the better choice for me?

mkenyon

Banned
Im about to purchase the ASRock z77e-itx 1155 mitx motherboard(trying to stay with the mini itx for saving space) and I had a question. I already purchased my case the BitFenix
Prodigy. Im still trying to decide rather I should go with 3770k or 3750k for my cpu. A few things to note:

I will be maxing out my RAM/Memory
I already have my graphics card GTX 570HD
I will be using this PC mainly for gaming, watching blu-ray movies and listening to music
I probably wont be overclocking it for a while if at all

Which CPU would be overall the better choice for me?
3570K. Be warned on the ASRock, it has a ton of compatibility issues with coolers. Sent mine back to go with the ASUS for that very reason.
Thinking about buying two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

Should I be looking at a different 670?
Depends on your case and fans. What do you have?

*edit since I'm leaving for PAX

If you have really nice airflow, going with two of the Gigabyte, ASUS, or MSI cards would be the way to go. If you have pretty standard airflow with a mid tower, the EVGA cards would be a better bet.

Basically, the EVGA cards will keep all of the hot GPU air out of your case but run about twice as loud as the Gigabyte given ample cooling.

CoilShot

3570K. Be warned on the ASRock, it has a ton of compatibility issues with coolers. Sent mine back to go with the ASUS for that very reason.

Uh oh! Well the main reason why I was going with the ASRock was because of the extra $50 off combo purchase at microcenter.

mkenyon

Banned
That's what I'm going with. Seems EVGA was the most popular. There are probably better ones for cooling though.
Its brand recognition, nothing more. Its a worse product than the others.
Uh oh! Well the main reason why I was going with the ASRock was because of the extra $50 off combo purchase at microcenter.
Well, just do a bit of research before you choose your cooler. There is a Prodigy thread on Overclock.net that has a pretty good list of compatible coolers.

Jex

Everything has arrived and has now been assembled except that my Cooler isn't here yet.

So tell me, PC gaffers, how essential is all this 'thermal paste' stuff?

Took GAF's advice and ordered a ASUS GTX670 2GB DDR5 CUII.

Can't wait to test drive the thing! (Sleeping Dogs installed just now)

Hope to have it here on monday, but knowing my luck it probably will be next friday.

mkenyon

Banned
Everything has arrived and has now been assembled except that my Cooler isn't here yet.

So tell me, PC gaffers, how essential is all this 'thermal paste' stuff?
If you don't use it, your CPU will overheat. There can be as much as a 15 degree difference between the good stuff and the bad stuff given poor or moderate mounts, which is what most amateur mounts are.

Jex

If you don't use it, your CPU will overheat. There can be as much as a 15 degree difference between the good stuff and the bad stuff given poor or moderate mounts, which is what most amateur mounts are.

Fair enough. I assume there are some guides to applying this correctly?

Jarmel

Banned
Depends on your case and fans. What do you have?

*edit since I'm leaving for PAX

If you have really nice airflow, going with two of the Gigabyte, ASUS, or MSI cards would be the way to go. If you have pretty standard airflow with a mid tower, the EVGA cards would be a better bet.

Basically, the EVGA cards will keep all of the hot GPU air out of your case but run about twice as loud as the Gigabyte given ample cooling.

I have the Coolermaster CSX case.

Close enough:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119126

Fair enough. I assume there are some guides to applying this correctly?

there is a link in the op that talks about it here.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

Gives info on the different methods of applying, how good they work and what is the objective (not to get a lot of trapped air via "bubbles".

If you are somewhat impatient you could mount the cooler that comes with the cpu since iirc it comes with thermal paste already on the contact. But then when the cooler arrives you would have to remove the first one and clean off the paste before installing the other cooler.

so i would say wait a bit so you dont have to do it twice.

Never got an answer to this
is it worth paying the extra 50 bucks or so for a 7870 over a 7850?

Ok this question will seem incredibly elementary, and I thought I was sure, but now I'm not. I haven't had a gfx card this big and powerful so to speak. On my Galaxy GTX 670 there are two PCIe power ports, am I supposed to have both plugged in, or is that strictly for linking an SLI Config?

Thanks

kharma45

Ok this question will seem incredibly elementary, and I thought I was sure, but now I'm not. I haven't had a gfx card this big and powerful so to speak. On my Galaxy GTX 670 there are two PCIe power ports, am I supposed to have both plugged in, or is that strictly for linking an SLI Config?

Thanks

You need to plug in both.

bardia

So I'm thinking of building a new gaming PC, but I've been completely out of the loop for a while. Last time I built a PC the GTX 460 was the newest thing on the market. Is it a good idea to build a PC now or will newer hardware be coming out soon? I was thinking of getting a i5 K with a GTX 670 etc.

After a long hiatus from PC gaming, I am finally taking the plunge. Piece by piece I am assembling myself what I believe to be a modest rig. Case and optical drive are en route and next week I plan on purchasing the motherboard and memory. I still have a ways to go but I believe I should be able to have a fully assembled PC by the end of this month. I still have to decide on a monitor but I figure I can hook the PC up to my TV as a temporary measure once assembled.

TL;DR
Anyway I was hoping you guys/gals could look at My Current Build and tell me what you think. $1200 is my limit for the actual PC and as far as a monitor goes I don't want to spend more than $200. Thanks in advance!

Ok I have a problem - I want to use the Asus Xonar XG (or whatever it is) card that I bought for my rig instead of the crappy onboard sound on the gtx 570. I can plug an optical into the Xonar card and plug it into my receiver, but I'm not sure I can use the video from the 570 and the audio from the optical in (which is on the AV1 input, while the HDMI from the computer is from the HDMI5). So how can I get the two mixed together on the computer side of things? Can I somehow "borrow" the output from the audio card and channel that through the gtx 570?

Fou-Lu

So I think I'm getting pretty close to my final build, this is where I'm at:

CPU: i5 3570K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB and Crucial M4 64GB
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG
Case: I'm wanting something with good cooling and bottom mounted PSU, suggestions?
PSU: I'm guessing the 7970 will need something a little greater than the standard build, what should I be going for?
Monitor: Crossover 27" 2560x1440

zedge

What would give me the best boost, new video card or mobo/cpu?

Current:

Core i3 530 2.93Ghz
8GB Ram
Gigabyte Radeon 6850 1GB
Win 7

Recommendations welcome too! :D

Thanks!

statham

Been wanting to upgrade for awhile, several things I debated for the last few months. I have a store bought gateway computer I changed the powersupply to 500 watts and added a 460 2gb GFX card. I can't over clock it since its locked. Its a 2.7 Phenom x6 which I heard can be overclocked quite a bit. should I buy a fast 1090t/1100t cpu for $200+ or change out the motherboard with one I can overclock and buy windows 7/8 instead? Can I transfer the windows 7 that came with my computer over to the new motherboard? and what motherboard could I replace a gateway dx4350 with? I first wanted to upgrade the GFX card but I don't want to bottleneck the CPU since its only 2.7. I also thought about going with a x4 965 at 3.4 but saw in tests that it wasn't really faster then what I have now with turbo. I made up my mind 3 different times, but can't pull the trigger yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom