• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

question : how long do you guys usually run prime95 to make ensure everything is running correctly?

Just installed the new heatsink and want to make sure installation was 'successful' (temp wise)

For seeing your max temps, around 15 min.

For over clocking stability, at least a few hours.

Nekrono

thanks for the quick response.

sooo if i started Prime95 over lunch (2.5 hours ago) and just now remember when i'm back at work, i should be ok? I ran for about 15 minutes yesterday and temps just touched 70*C.

I can head home and check if it's an issue.

You should be fine, worst case scenario... your computer restarts, no permanent damage or anything.

Kabouter

My >4 year old PC seems to be breaking down, major graphical errors on start-up just now, and once before as well. It's fixed after reboot, but I wonder how long that's going to last. I reckon it's the GPU breaking down. The errors consist of the screen flashing and weird graphical stuff appearing on screen, that really has no reason to be there. My current system:

GPU: Powercolor Radeon 4870 512MB
Case: Antec P182
PSU: Corsair HX520
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 with OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU cooler
RAM: G.Skill 4GB 1000Mhz DDR2

The PC is more or less still fine for the games I play, there are some I have to skip and many I have to lower settings a long way for, but it's not a huge concern for now. With current specs I could probably last another year without much difficulty. So my questions:
- Am I right that it's probably the GPU and that it's in the process of dying, or could something else be causing it?
- Is it even worth saving this PC, or is any money I spend on it wasted because of its age?
- If it is worth saving, what sort of GPU should I put in that will give me the same or superior performance for a reasonable price without being incredibly bottlenecked by the CPU?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My >4 year old PC seems to be breaking down, major graphical errors on start-up just now, and once before as well. It's fixed after reboot, but I wonder how long that's going to last. I reckon it's the GPU breaking down. The errors consist of the screen flashing and weird graphical stuff appearing on screen, that really has no reason to be there. My current system:

GPU: Powercolor Radeon 4870 512MB
Case: Antec P182
PSU: Corsair HX520
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 with OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU cooler
RAM: G.Skill 4GB 1000Mhz DDR2

The PC is more or less still fine for the games I play, there are some I have to skip and many I have to lower settings a long way for, but it's not a huge concern for now. With current specs I could probably last another year without much difficulty. So my questions:
- Am I right that it's probably the GPU and that it's in the process of dying, or could something else be causing it?
- Is it even worth saving this PC, or is any money I spend on it wasted because of its age?
- If it is worth saving, what sort of GPU should I put in that will give me the same or superior performance for a reasonable price without being incredibly bottlenecked by the CPU?
1) Most likely GPU yes. Also wouldn't hurt to run a Memtest 86+ overnight on your memory (Burn to a CD and boot to it)
2) If you drop in a GPU you aren't wasting your money, if it's acceptable for what you do then you can stick with it. Overclocking to 3.4 or 3.6 could have some nice benefits.
3) A 6870 is the best value and would be a nice increase in performance.

Kabouter

1) Most likely GPU yes. Also wouldn't hurt to run a Memtest 86+ overnight on your memory (Burn to a CD and boot to it)
2) If you drop in a GPU you aren't wasting your money, if it's acceptable for what you do then you can stick with it. Overclocking to 3.4 or 3.6 could have some nice benefits.
3) A 6870 is the best value and would be a nice increase in performance.

Thanks! :)

Zimbardo

just out of curiosity ...

i have an i5 760 cpu which is overclocked to 3.8ghz.

i was just wondering if i was to purchase a GTX680, would this cpu still be plenty good to drive that video card @ 1080p? or would i be bottlenecking it at all?

i'm thinking it should be fine ...but u never know i guess.

kharma45

just out of curiosity ...

i have an i5 760 cpu which is overclocked to 3.8ghz.

i was just wondering if i was to purchase a GTX680, would this cpu still be plenty good to drive that video card @ 1080p? or would i be bottlenecking it at all?

i'm thinking it should be fine ...but u never know i guess.

You should be fine, although I'd save your money and get a 670 over a 680. 680 isn't worth the extra money, not when the 670 and 7970 are priced much lower now.

Does anyone know the BEST video converter? For example being able to make .mov > .avi or .flv to .mp4. I had a good one on my last computer, but forgot what it was. They are always so tough to find; so many of them contain malware. Thanks a lot in advance!

Does anyone know the BEST video converter? For example being able to make .mov > .avi or .flv to .mp4. I had a good one on my last computer, but forgot what it was. They are always so tough to find; so many of them contain malware. Thanks a lot in advance!

TechReport says Handbrake is the best transcoder, and I'd agree.

radjago

There's a pretty good Shell Shocker bundle today for anyone looking to build a system. Just add a GPU and SSD/HDD and you're set.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1068418
combo1068418.jpg

Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, front mounted dual USB 3.0 (Model:CHALLENGER-U3)

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS (Model:p8Z77-V LK)

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply (Model:Hive-750)

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K (Model:BX80637I53570K)

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB (Model:F3-1600C9D-8GAB)

$459.99 after $20 MIR

mkenyon

Banned
New ITX chassis out (Soon). Talk about an X51 killer.

CfwQC.jpg

e2Nld.jpg

It is the S3 Chassis designed by NFC who before this, focused on commissioned scratch builds.

1-D_FTW

New ITX chassis out (Soon). Talk about an X51 killer.

http://i.imgur.com/CfwQC.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/e2Nld.jpg[IMG]

It is the S3 Chassis designed by NFC who before this, focused on commissioned scratch builds.[/QUOTE]

Yup. The X51 really had no competition from an aesthetics POV. That thing is sweet and it's going to do well for itself now that the DIYer will have a choice that isn't ugly.

Are there any 650 reviews besides Tom's Hardware? Pretty much ready to pull the trigger on my budget stop-gap build, just need to settle on a video card. The 650 looks like shit based on the TH review, but would be nice to have more coverage of it.

Tattooth

I just got an AMD card and what is their equivalent of Nvidia Inspector? I downloaded Radeon Pro, but I looks like I need to add the game profiles myself.

kafiend

I bought a Zotac 660 ti Amp. It crashes a lot and the thing that seems to solve the crashes is to underclock the card.

It crashes in several games (not all games) and in Heaven Benchmark. Its the same error in the event log along with the various errors depending on what program I was running - Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

General PC specs apart from the new GPU are Win 7 64, 2500k cpu, 16gb of ram, 256gb SSD.

Same error using the existing Win 7 64 install and also in a fresh install of Win 7 64.
Same error before and after turning off all 2500k cpu overclocking.
Same error using all the GPU driver versions I could find.

I wondered if a 650w Corsair PSU had enough power so I ripped out anything I didn't need. All storage HDs, sound card etc. Turned off CPU overclocking and I still got the same error.

Its only if I underclock the GPU and Memory by 200mhz the errors stop.

Not sure what else I can do to stop the card crashing.

Thinking on returning it.

Advice/thoughts Gaf?

Bitfenix Shinobi
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 400W
Intel Pentium G2120
Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Kingston HyperX blu DDR3-1600 (2 x 4GB)
ASUS P8H61-M LX Plus Rev 3.0

Total cost after taxes and rebates is around $475. My current system for comparison:

Pentium E5200 @ 3.25GHz
4GB of DDR2
Radeon HD 4770

What do you guys think? Not the Ivy Bridge super-awesome spectacular build I was planning a few weeks ago, but I think this will tide me over until Haswell. I can easily see this system being reused as an HTPC when the time comes, too.

knitoe

mkenyon

Banned
Back with an ssd question. Think I'm going to order one today. Saw this which looks like a good deal, but wanted to confirm if its worth it or if theres a better deal somewhere else(note I have a $10 amazon card).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...211602&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-20-211-602-_-Product

Would like to keep it under $100.

Also, my board still has sata 2.0 so that will still be a good upgrade from a black caviar drive right?

Thanks.
ADATA reliability is still an unknown.

I bought a Zotac 660 ti Amp. It crashes a lot and the thing that seems to solve the crashes is to underclock the card.

It crashes in several games (not all games) and in Heaven Benchmark. Its the same error in the event log along with the various errors depending on what program I was running - Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

General PC specs apart from the new GPU are Win 7 64, 2500k cpu, 16gb of ram, 256gb SSD.

Same error using the existing Win 7 64 install and also in a fresh install of Win 7 64.
Same error before and after turning off all 2500k cpu overclocking.
Same error using all the GPU driver versions I could find.

I wondered if a 650w Corsair PSU had enough power so I ripped out anything I didn't need. All storage HDs, sound card etc. Turned off CPU overclocking and I still got the same error.

Its only if I underclock the GPU and Memory by 200mhz the errors stop.

Not sure what else I can do to stop the card crashing.

Thinking on returning it.

Advice/thoughts Gaf?
Try upping the voltage a bit.
Bitfenix Shinobi
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 400W
Intel Pentium G2120
Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Kingston HyperX blu DDR3-1600 (2 x 4GB)
ASUS P8H61-M LX Plus Rev 3.0

Total cost after taxes and rebates is around $475. My current system for comparison:

Pentium E5200 @ 3.25GHz
4GB of DDR2
Radeon HD 4770

What do you guys think? Not the Ivy Bridge super-awesome spectacular build I was planning a few weeks ago, but I think this will tide me over until Haswell. I can easily see this system being reused as an HTPC when the time comes, too.
Swap card for a 660 or 7850. If the RAM is not less than $45, get the Samsung 30nm RAM.
I am looking to sell my GTX 690:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42102502&postcount=9145

PM me if any of you are interested, card is 3 months old and has 3 year transferable warranty.
Finally get sick of the random problems? I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about dropping it for a pair of 670s.

What are you moving to?

Smokey

Finally get sick of the random problems? I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about dropping it for a pair of 670s.

What are you moving to?

Not really any major problems. Any issues I had were eventually resolved with trying a new driver set. I was on the newest beta drivers before the WHQL release today, and they worked great. More like I still have my 3GB 580s, and since I'm at 2560x1600 that VRAM is helpful. Ran Heaven benchmark and the 690 was only 7 fps faster than my 580s at my resolution.

So looking to sell and maybe go with 4GB 680s or, most likely, stick with my 580s.

mkenyon

Banned
Dang.

Well, remember that Heaven is only a single bench. There's a large number of games that perform much better on Kepler than Fermi, and some where Fermi comes close.

I get the VRAM situation. In a way, I'm kind of glad I'm still at 1080P.

Smokey

Dang.

Well, remember that Heaven is only a single bench. There's a large number of games that perform much better on Kepler than Fermi, and some where Fermi comes close.

I get the VRAM situation. In a way, I'm kind of glad I'm still at 1080P.

I tried Max Payne 3 at 2560x1600 and was getting about 55-60 fps with everything maxed. BF3 multi on Armored Kill I was averaging around 60 or so and more than that in Close Quarters. I see it as most games being at 60fps or very close to it on my 60hz U3011 so I'm willing to go with them and that extra 1GB of VRAM.

mkenyon

Banned
Which brands should I be looking for?
Samsung, Crucial, Corsair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, time to clean out my computer room a bit. These are all free. I might ask for shipping costs on the DeathAdder unless you don't mind me removing it from the box.

Razer DeathAdder NIB TAKEN

jshogm.jpg

Razer Imperator, lightly used, perfect condition TAKEN

UYNzPm.jpg

Razer Carcharias, well used, but no flaws/defects/issues. I don't even think there's a scuff on them. Dog and Cat hair will be removed prior to shipping. TAKEN

ahaPTm.jpg

NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller - controls by adjusting voltage. I've moved on to a few different fans that I always run at 100%. Allows for a cleaner install, and less of a management thing since I just never worry about them. If you want to quiet down some fans though, this is a good one. Perfect condition.TAKEN

1tIxSm.jpg

2xCorsair 200mm fans - these come with the 600T. They'd be decently quiet with a fan controller, but I won't lie, they're not superstars when it comes to noise:CFM.

RIm3em.jpg

1xBitfenix Spectre 120mm TAKEN
1xBitfenix Spectre Pro White LED 120mm TAKEN
3xCorsair Radiator/Heatsink 120mm (these are the fans that come with H60/80/100 - really fucking loud at full voltage, but great pressure ratings if you spin them down). TAKEN

7ZlAMm.jpg

If you are Pacific NW local, I also have a modified 600T thats a bit rough around the edges and a Lian Li big ass full tower in good condition. Also a Lian Li ITX spider test bench chassis w/ OCZ Fatality 550W Modular PSU- as pictured below:

mNMiXl.jpg

Don't want to really deal with shipping these out, so if you don't live too far from Oly, WA, they are up for grabs.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for some comparison shots of the Prodigy for folks interested in size. The handles on the case really increase the overall profile of it. If you compared box:box, it's a lot smaller than it first looks.

This is next to a Fractal Define R4, which is about as standard as you can get with a mid tower case (maybe a bit wide).

ZN2tAl.jpg

r0BW4l.jpg

This is next to a Lian Li V700, which is technically an ATX mid-tower, but is pretty dang small for being one.

iPcSJl.jpg

NeLK5l.jpg

Exuro

I'd totally be willing to take those headphones off you. :p

Only because my klipsch promedia set died and I'm down to some really cheap laptop speakers and ipod headphones. ;_;

And those adata ssd's went out so no go for sure on them. I'll be on the look out for deals on those brands you specified. Thanks.

EDIT: Jeez there are a lot of SSDs. I've seen like 6 128gb corsairs and can't tell which are good/the reason for their price differences.

mkenyon

Banned
Either the Lian Li or 600T good for fitting 600mm+ of rads? I don't mind paying shipping or modding the hell out of them.
Lian Li might. I've done some prelim sketches and I'm fairly certain one could do 2 240mm rads in the bottom (mounted like you would see in a Cosmos II or TJ07) and a 360 in the front. The 600T is a definite no which is why I dropped it.

I'll do some mockups this weekend and send you the pics.

*edit*
For something a bit more current, the A75X will be stateside soon. Fits a 420 in the front and a 240 up top with no mods. Could do a single cut up top to make the 240 a 360. Only $200 which is pretty f'n good for an all aluminum case.

PQniql.jpg

scogoth

Lian Li might. I've done some prelim sketches and I'm fairly certain one could do 2 240mm rads in the bottom (mounted like you would see in a Cosmos II or TJ07) and a 360 in the front. The 600T is a definite no which is why I dropped it.

I'll do some mockups this weekend and send you the pics.

*edit*
For something a bit more current, the A75X will be stateside soon. Fits a 420 in the front and a 240 up top with no mods. Could do a single cut up top to make the 240 a 360. Only $200 which is pretty f'n good for an all aluminum case.

PQniql.jpg

Well I'm in love.... and enough slots for more 680s!

mkenyon

Banned
yea i'm almost pulling for the "i made a huge mistake" gif :(
There's always newer and better products released. Don't lose any sleep over it because the 7850 is an amazing card.
Well I'm in love.... and enough slots for more 680s!
Yeah, me too.

I wasn't too happy about the 140s at first, but then I found out Alphacool just released 280 and 420 versions of the UT60 and XT45. Yes please.

Lucis

OK guys, I'm in a pinch. I'd like to get some of those shopping done before 15th when I'll have to pay tax to amazon.

Long story short, it has been YEARS since I had to pay for parts for PC. And this time around, instead of trying to get stuff for free at work. I've decided to go completely retail and get stuff that probably don't have bugs like what I have been using.

Why am I doing this upgrade? I have recently bought a 2560x1440 korean IPS monitor and I think my old setup can no longer hold up to this new beast. I think, heck might as well as get a full rework on my PC.

Here's what I need (with what I want to buy in parentheses):
CPU (I5 3570K, 215$ on amazon)
MOBO (ASRock Z77 Pro4, 110$ on newegg)
Memory (G.Skill Ripjaws X series 2x8gb, 95$ on newegg)
GPU (GTX670 gigabyte windforce oc model most likely, 400$ on amazon)
SO all of the add together is about 820 dollars. It's already a bit more than what I want to spend but this should be a pretty sweet box!

Is there any suggestion on change of parts that would significantly improve? Maybe the memory or the mobo choice isn't good enough? Any bottle neck? (I already have 2 ssds, might even consider raiding them lol) Power supply and case isn't a problem either.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom