• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keldor

Been out of the PC Game for about 6 years and I'm ready to jump back in and quite a bit has changed.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs: Asus UL30V Netbook
Budget: $1400 - $1600
Main Use: Gaming - 5, General usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback). - 5
Monitor Resolution: Will connect to a Pioneer Plasma 5020FD to play games in 1080P.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3, Crysis, Skyrim, Dirt 3
Are reusing any parts?: Just a Pioneer DVD Burner
When will you build?: I'd like to build over the next month.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

I'd like to use this primarily for gaming and want to be able to play games such as Battlefield 3 with full settings and at a stable frame rate. This will also double as my htpc. I will be hooking the pc up to my home theater so, I don't think I'll need a sound card. One concern of mine is I'd like the computer to be discrete and to blend in with my av rack. It is important to me for the pc to be as silent as possible. Based on the first post and after reading this thread, here is what I've come up with. I listed the full sized case but if I can fit this into a mid size, I'd be really happy. I'm not sure if I can get away with a 650 watt power supply. Also, how much of a difference is the 7950 from the 7970? I see that I can save a little money there if I need to. I don't plan on upgrading for a few years but would like to have the freedom to do so. Feel free to critique as I'm still new at this. If there is anything else I need to add please let me know. Kudos to the OP as this thread has been a tremendous help.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
13-131-790-TS

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
19-115-070-TS

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
20-233-196-TS

GPU: MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
14-127-652-04.jpg

Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
17-139-016-TS

Storage: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
20-148-442-TS

Case: Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Full Tower Silent PC Computer Case
11-352-017-TS

Total comes to $1679.93 with $75 in rebates.

Sethos

Banned
Whats wrong with Auto OC?

Auto OC is crap in most cases. It tends to up the voltage without needing it, thus creating more heat and can hurt components in the long run. It also tend to use some terrible settings.

Best advice is, always manually OC.

FoolsRun

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

FYI--The Seasonic 750 Gold has a $40 off promo code through 2/1 that brings the cost down to $120, and you don't have to futz with rebates like you do with the Corsair.

Both PSUs are made by Seasonic. The Corsair has a longer warranty (7 versus 5), however.

Keldor

FYI--The Seasonic 750 Gold has a $40 off promo code through 2/1 that brings the cost down to $120, and you don't have to futz with rebates like you do with the Corsair.

Both PSUs are made by Seasonic. The Corsair has a longer warranty (7 versus 5), however.

Nice. I will swap that out. Thanks. Everything else look good?

Shambles

Auto OC is crap in most cases. It tends to up the voltage without needing it, thus creating more heat and can hurt components in the long run. It also tend to use some terrible settings.

Auto OC is great for those who would otherwise have no intention of overclocking. I have not heard of one case where an auto-OC has hurt components. Systems are more than capable with dealing with extra heat, that's why every piece of hardware has a plethora of thermal sensors in it now. Just because manual overclocking is better doesn't make auto OC any worse. That's like saying aftermarket air coolers are crap, only water cooling will protect your system from overheating.

depends on which auto oc settings you use. Safe OC nets you .5 GHz more with an increase in temp of about 1 degree which is small.

TheExodu5

Banned
Been out of the PC Game for about 6 years and I'm ready to jump back in and quite a bit has changed.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs: Asus UL30V Netbook
Budget: $1400 - $1600
Main Use: Gaming - 5, General usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback). - 5
Monitor Resolution: Will connect to a Pioneer Plasma 5020FD to play games in 1080P.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3, Crysis, Skyrim, Dirt 3
Are reusing any parts?: Just a Pioneer DVD Burner
When will you build?: I'd like to build over the next month.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

I'd like to use this primarily for gaming and want to be able to play games such as Battlefield 3 with full settings and at a stable frame rate. This will also double as my htpc. I will be hooking the pc up to my home theater so, I don't think I'll need a sound card. One concern of mine is I'd like the computer to be discrete and to blend in with my av rack. It is important to me for the pc to be as silent as possible. Based on the first post and after reading this thread, here is what I've come up with. I listed the full sized case but if I can fit this into a mid size, I'd be really happy. I'm not sure if I can get away with a 650 watt power supply. Also, how much of a difference is the 7950 from the 7970? I see that I can save a little money there if I need to. I don't plan on upgrading for a few years but would like to have the freedom to do so. Feel free to critique as I'm still new at this. If there is anything else I need to add please let me know. Kudos to the OP as this thread has been a tremendous help.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
13-131-790-TS

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
19-115-070-TS

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
20-233-196-TS

GPU: MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
14-127-652-04.jpg

Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
17-139-016-TS

Storage: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
20-148-442-TS

Case: Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Full Tower Silent PC Computer Case
11-352-017-TS

Total comes to $1679.93 with $75 in rebates.

1) Drop the CPU down to a 2500K. Based on your needs, you don't need the 2600K. It just adds hyperthreading, which will provide a ~20% performance in applications that support 8 cores (games usually don't).

2) Get cheaper RAM without heatsinks. This will give you better compatibility with CPU coolers. RAM speed barely affects performance. My recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422 edit: on the other hand, looking at that Corsair RAM, the heatsink is not high at all, so you could stick with it if you want.

3) Get yourself a CPU cooler. This will make your PC much quieter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

4) Get the regular Fractal Define R3. No reason to get the XL...especially since you want a smaller case in the first place.

One thing to note: you're getting a top of the line video card and it's going to push a lot of heat. Your rig won't be terribly quiet under full load (though it might not be too bad if the PC is far enough away). The only way to avoid that is to get a case with better airflow along with a video card that comes with a nicer aftermarket cooler. Sadly, none of the 7970s released have really nice coolers...at least not from what I can tell, so your options are limited at this point.

kitch9

Banned

Its spot on with my Asrock board, Ram set to XMP profile by default (4x4GB ram.) and 2700K set to 4.6ghz with voltage of 1.3 and temps of 55c under load.

MisterNoisy

Its spot on with my Asrock board, Ram set to XMP profile by default (4x4GB ram.) and 2700K set to 4.6ghz with voltage of 1.3 and temps of 55c under load.

This was my experience with my AsRock Extreme4, too. Pretty sane 'Auto' settings overall, though it's more a collection of preset OC settings for 4-5 GHz in .2GHz increments than something like MSI's OCGenie.

TheExodu5

Banned
@Keldor, also, if you want something even smaller than a Fractal R3, you could consider something like this:

Silverstone FT03:
FT03B-34View-1.jpg

DSCN0637.JPG

You'll need a microATX board like the Asus Maximus Gene IV. Also, it will definitely be harder to put together than a standard build, though apparently this is one of the better designed mATX cases.

Keldor

1) Drop the CPU down to a 2500K. Based on your needs, you don't need the 2600K. It just adds hyperthreading, which will provide a ~20% performance in applications that support 8 cores (games usually don't).

2) Get cheaper RAM without heatsinks. This will give you better compatibility with CPU coolers. RAM speed barely affects performance. My recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422 edit: on the other hand, looking at that Corsair RAM, the heatsink is not high at all, so you could stick with it if you want.

3) Get yourself a CPU cooler. This will make your PC much quieter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

4) Get the regular Fractal Define R3. No reason to get the XL...especially since you want a smaller case in the first place.

One thing to note: you're getting a top of the line video card and it's going to push a lot of heat. Your rig won't be terribly quiet under full load (though it might not be too bad if the PC is far enough away). The only way to avoid that is to get a case with better airflow along with a video card that comes with a nicer aftermarket cooler. Sadly, none of the 7970s released have really nice coolers...at least not from what I can tell, so your options are limited at this point.

Thanks again. This board is the best.

1. Done. Switching out to a i5 2500 K

2. Cool. I'll stick with this ram then.

3. Added CPU cooler.

4. Switched to the Fractal Define Mid Tower.

5. Noted. Which case would you recommend? I also saw that the 7950s have more fans on them. Should I just go with one of those?

Keldor

@Keldor, also, if you want something even smaller than a Fractal R3, you could consider something like this:

Silverstone FT03:
You'll need a microATX board like the Asus Maximus Gene IV. Also, it will definitely be harder to put together than a standard build, though apparently this is one of the better designed mATX cases.

So, with that Silverstone case can I still use the rest of the parts I picked out except for the motherboard?

FoolsRun

So, with that Silverstone case can I still use the rest of the parts I picked out except for the motherboard?

A month or two ago there was debate on whether Silverstone's rotated motherboard design in their Fortress and Raven cases worked well with aftermarket GPU coolers. The conclusion was that they worked best with standard reference cards (where you have a single blower fan at one end and an exhaust at the other). The cards with several fans on them may have problems in a rotated configuration because of the way the heat pipes are designed.

One user, Smokey, ultimately had to swap out his case for a Corsair (which used a traditional design that kept the cards parallel to the ground instead of vertical) to keep his 580's at reasonable temperatures.

kitch9

Banned
Thanks again. This board is the best.

1. Done. Switching out to a i5 2500 K

2. Cool. I'll stick with this ram then.

3. Added CPU cooler.

4. Switched to the Fractal Define Mid Tower.

5. Noted. Which case would you recommend? I also saw that the 7950s have more fans on them. Should I just go with one of those?

The 7950 Powercolour PCS + model is looking pretty good IMO.

Keldor

The 7950 Powercolour PCS + model is looking pretty good IMO.

Ok. Switched to the Power Colour AX7950 PCS since I'm willing to sacrifice a little power for a quieter machine. Thanks for the help everyone. If there are any more suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Okay guys, please weigh in. Do I need to RMA my motherboard?

I've had this Gigabyte P67A since last April. I've got a 2500K and Hyper212 and have had a stable 4.7 OC since then. Great temps.

I will occasionally clock it down for some activities, which I did recently. Only now it won't go back up. It's like it won't tolerate any OC at all anymore. I get total boot failures -- no POST, no nothing. Have to fully power down for a few minutes and reboot with a PS2 keyboard to get anything. Then even a moderate OC, like say, 4.0, may boot and get to Windows, but blue screens after a minute or two.

Suggestions? Advice? Thanks...

TheExodu5

Banned
Personal choice would be the XFX Right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150588
I like the double lifetime warranty, helps resale.

I'd wait on specific reviews on that one. Previous XFX dual-fan designs have reportedly been poor. Doesn't look like it has any heatpipes either.

I'd go with the tri-slot Asus:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121489

It's the only proven non-reference 7950 cooler. I'd recommend the MSI TwinFrozr as well...but it doesn't appear to be out yet. A bit overpriced, but what can you do.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd wait on specific reviews on that one. Previous XFX dual-fan designs have reportedly been poor. Doesn't look like it has any heatpipes either.

It's the only proven non-reference 7950 cooler. I'd recommend the MSI TwinFrozr as well...but it doesn't appear to be out yet. A bit overpriced, but what can you do.
I just... kind of assumed it would have heatpipes.I mean why wouldn't it?
Looks like a copper block. XFX I am disappointed.

I'd probably go with the Sapphire then as it is the cheapest with dualfans and heatpipes.

schuey7

Looking at the Anandtech review the Sapphire HD 7950 Overclock Edition seems like an awesome buy.

scogoth

I just... kind of assumed it would have heatpipes.I mean why wouldn't it?
Looks like a copper block. XFX I am disappointed.

I'd probably go with the Sapphire then as it is the cheapest with dualfans and heatpipes.

The XFX is a vapour chamber but its not a full vapour chamber like the one they use in the 7970, it only dissipates to about 75% of the fins. Still would go with Sapphire, not sure why XFX would make a less effective heatsink for the 7950 and not change any of the dimensions or the design.

Ugh.

The need for DP (for 120hz monitor) is killing my wallet. Damn you Sapphire with your awesome cards!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5476/amd-radeon-7950-review/16

Specific page on noise. Dat low dB.

Do it! 120Hz ftw.

Still would go with Sapphire, not sure why XFX would make a less effective heatsink for the 7950 and not change any of the dimensions or the design.
It's XFX. For all the good decisions they've generally made with PSU OEM, they've seemingly made just as many unfortunate (and often cheap) ones with their GPUs. Cutting corners on PCBs, components, warranties, etc. Not that they're alone in this.

mkenyon

Banned
Already did, and it is. My issue is that my big (quiet) rig where I record games has dual 560Tis. Switching back and forth between rigs for playing and recording isn't good for muscle memory.

I'm hoping I can hold out to see if the next nvidia cards will have displayport. Knowing me, doubtful.

scogoth

Already did, and it is. My issue is that my big (quiet) rig where I record games has dual 560Tis. Switching back and forth between rigs for playing and recording isn't good for muscle memory.

I'm hoping I can hold out to see if the next nvidia cards will have displayport. Knowing me, doubtful.

There are some 500 custom cards with dislplayport I'm sure there will be 600/700 cards with displayport.

I am honestly now on the 'wait and see' bandwagon. I think the 7970 and 7950 have taken over the high end marketspace... but I'm a bang for the buck guy and so that doesn't appeal to me until prices drop and competition is heated. My OC'd GTX 570 2.5 GB is about as fast as a stock 7970 and right now that feels like more than enough power.

If nvidia can drop a $300-400 Kepler card with 2GB+ VRAM, awesome OC'ing ability and near 7970 stock performance, I will probably pick that up instead.

I just want a card that can OC to 1.2-1.3Ghz core with high RAM clocks + bandwidth and will be about 30-50% faster than my 570. For $400 or less.

scogoth

I am honestly now on the 'wait and see' bandwagon. I think the 7970 and 7950 have taken over the high end marketspace... but I'm a bang for the buck guy and so that doesn't appeal to me until prices drop and competition is heated. My OC'd GTX 570 2.5 GB is about as fast as a stock 7970 and right now that feels like more than enough power.

If nvidia can drop a $300-400 Kepler card with 2GB+ VRAM, awesome OC'ing ability and near 7970 stock performance, I will probably pick that up instead.

I just want a card that can OC to 1.2-1.3Ghz core with high RAM clocks + bandwidth and will be about 30-50% faster than my 570. For $400 or less.

Keep dreaming, a $300-400 card matching a $550 card?

Don't eat for a month and drop that extra $150!

ScRYeD

Anything similar heat/noise wise that doesn't require a backplate? Really don't want to pull my mobo.

All decent aftermarket cooler require a new backplate. Removing the old backplate is just removing 4 screws and the backplate just come off. Do this before installing your mobo to the case, even after you can still remove tge backplate quite easily.

Wizman23

Banned
I just put together my first PC build. It starts up for 2 seconds and then shuts down. I can seriously cry right now. Any advice?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just put together my first PC build. It starts up for 2 seconds and then shuts down. I can seriously cry right now. Any advice?
I'm going to get to adding this eventually:

Quick copy paste for now:
# Is the CPU fan spinning at all when you start the PC?
# Power off PSU, unplug cable.
# Reseat (Unplug and replug) all cables twice. Trace all cables from PSU and see if they plug in anywhere
# Make sure that memory modules are plugged where they should be, (check manual). Try one stick a time. Unplug and replug.
# Make sure that all the power cables are plugged in. The video card requires one or two PCI-Express power connectors and the motherboard requires the 24-pin ATX connector along with the 4/8-pin ATX power.
# Ensure that the motherboard stand-offs are installed correctly (including the insulation washers) and the mobo is not touching any part of the case.

IF THIS DOES NOT FIX THE ISSUE:
Assemble outside of case with 1 stick of RAM, no HDD, no DVD, as barebones as possible and see if it POSTS (Turns on and gives you a logo).

Terproerg

So get this, i bought new stuff for my pc 2 months ago. Out of all the things i purchased and changed, you would expect headphones to last. Well no these corsair headphones broke. 1st the mic went 3 weeks in, now the left side doesn't play sound. i am rma'ing them this weekend, but man i'm never buying a headset from then again!
Its the corsair hs1a if your wondering what the headset is.

scogoth

So get this, i bought new stuff for my pc 2 months ago. Out of all the things i purchased and changed, you would expect headphones to last. Well no these corsair headphones broke. 1st the mic went 3 weeks in, now the left side doesn't play sound. i am rma'ing them this weekend, but man i'm never buying a headset from then again!
Its the corsair hs1a if your wondering what the headset is.

I went through an Astro A40 and a Razer Banshee then just said fuck it and bought a pair of Sennheiser PC350s. I will never "cheap out" on headphones again.

Terproerg

I went through an Astro A40 and a Razer Banshee then just said fuck it and bought a pair of Sennheiser PC350s. I will never "cheap out" on headphones again.

i didnt really cheap out, they did cost 70$. Its funny though, these 18$ earbuds ive got right now have been good for 2 years. I dont know what to do really. I guess i could buy some nice headphones like you did. How much did they cost?

Hawk269

Auto OC is great for those who would otherwise have no intention of overclocking. I have not heard of one case where an auto-OC has hurt components. Systems are more than capable with dealing with extra heat, that's why every piece of hardware has a plethora of thermal sensors in it now. Just because manual overclocking is better doesn't make auto OC any worse. That's like saying aftermarket air coolers are crap, only water cooling will protect your system from overheating.

Yeah, I have my 2600k at 4.6 and I used the auto overclocking features and never had a problem. Been using this same OC for the last 3-4 months or so and no issues.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It surprises me how well most of the implementations are, but I still would like people to have some idea of what they are doing, to lock BLCK at 100, and know their CPU voltage.

Stuff might not be apparent in 1-2 years, but I've seen autos go above 1.40V and not everyone might be ok with that in a long run on their cooling setup.

I'm conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom