• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

when are the new NVIDIA cards due out?

Thats the golden question.

i didnt really cheap out, they did cost 70$. Its funny though, these 18$ earbuds ive got right now have been good for 2 years. I dont know what to do really. I guess i could buy some nice headphones like you did. How much did they cost?

$200, the astros and razers were $100. They aren't cheap but there are crap

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I was thinking of getting a new laptop but realized I don't really need one, but really, really need a new computer. I've been eye-ing the standard build in the OP. I plan to get everything on Amazon because I have Amazon credit to use so prices are actually a bit higher than what is listed in OP.

Info:

Budget: Around $600 but looking no more than $800
Main Use: General use (browsing, word processor, watching videos), some gaming (indie gaming, whatever is cheap on Steam, and must run Diablo 3)
Monitor Resolution: Primarily 1280 x 1024 but have option to use a monitor up to 1680x1050. I do not mind gaming at lower resolutions.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: DIABLO 3. and in general FPS games (Battlefield 3, TF2, Counterstrike Source...)
Are reusing any parts?: No
When will you build?: Hoping within 2 months
Will you be overclocking?: No

Parts (basically what's in the OP...yes, boring.)

Case: NZXT Source 210 -Inches ELITE-Inches Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - White $49.99
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 $119.95
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM Intel H61 Chipset DDR3 1333 Micro ATX Motherboard $72.00

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C​9 $49.99
Graphics: SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card $164.99
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX 143.08
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-430CXV2 $36.99
Optical Drive: Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black) $24.48

Total Cost: $661.47

If I wanted to upgrade a part, which part should it be? Anywhere I can save costs? I'm a noob to these kind of things and I literally haven't PC game'd for a decade. I've been using the same shitty computer since like 2004 so I'm long overdue. I also never built a computer by myself so this will be my first attempt and I hope what I listed are okay.

Also, what's the cheapest route in getting Windows 7? I saw the student upgrade package but wasn't sure if you could go from a fresh install on that. And I assume I'd want 64-bit.

Thanks in advance.

I was thinking of getting a new laptop but realized I don't really need one, but really, really need a new computer. I've been eye-ing the standard build in the OP. I plan to get everything on Amazon because I have Amazon credit to use so prices are actually a bit higher than what is listed in OP.

Info:

Budget: Around $600 but looking no more than $800
Main Use: General use (browsing, word processor, watching videos), some gaming (indie gaming, whatever is cheap on Steam, and must run Diablo 3)
Monitor Resolution: Primarily 1280 x 1024 but have option to use a monitor up to 1680x1050. I do not mind gaming at lower resolutions.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: DIABLO 3. and in general FPS games (Battlefield 3, TF2, Counterstrike Source...)
Are reusing any parts?: No
When will you build?: Hoping within 2 months
Will you be overclocking?: No

Parts (basically what's in the OP...yes, boring.)

Case: NZXT Source 210 -Inches ELITE-Inches Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - White $49.99
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 $119.95
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM Intel H61 Chipset DDR3 1333 Micro ATX Motherboard $72.00

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C​9 $49.99
Graphics: SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card $164.99
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX 143.08
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-430CXV2 $36.99
Optical Drive: Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black) $24.48

Total Cost: $661.47

If I wanted to upgrade a part, which part should it be? Anywhere I can save costs? I'm a noob to these kind of things and I literally haven't PC game'd for a decade. I've been using the same shitty computer since like 2004 so I'm long overdue. I also never built a computer by myself so this will be my first attempt and I hope what I listed are okay.

Also, what's the cheapest route in getting Windows 7? I saw the student upgrade package but wasn't sure if you could go from a fresh install on that. And I assume I'd want 64-bit.

Thanks in advance.

Having a quad core cou would be prefereble, especially as bf3 relies on the cpu.

scogoth

I have a Colossus with blue lights and the backlight of the logo died. I sent them an e-mail they were prompt in responding asking for pictures and a proof of purchase. Once I sent that in they said they are now sending a whole new door for the case.

Great service, quick and courteous. +1 for bitfenix.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A P67 or Z68 board in the build one over and a 2500K. Should put you at $800 and well worth it.
You can also get a P67 or Z68 board now, then sell your i3 2100 and buy a new Ivy Bridge Quad in 3+ months if you can't drop $800 now.

If you don't plan on overclocking (you really really should) you can just upgrade your CPU to an i5 2400 and keep the mobo. But overclocking really empowers your system and extends its longevity a ton.
*2100 pulls over 30fps min with a 6870 online I'm pretty sure, so it's not like it would be terrible.

Student Win 7 64-bit, just double install it and it's fine. Lots of guides.

AkIRA_22

Picked up my HIS 7970 today. Now I can play BF3 at 2560x1600 in ULTRA with 4xAA 40+FPS... fucking awesome.

20120201_1128462.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
A P67 or Z68 board in the build one over and a 2500K. Should put you at $800 and well worth it.
You can also get a P67 or Z68 board now, then sell your i3 2100 and buy a new Ivy Bridge Quad in 3+ months if you can't drop $800 now.

If you don't plan on overclocking (you really really should) you can just upgrade your CPU to an i5 2400 and keep the mobo. But overclocking really empowers your system and extends its longevity a ton.
*2100 pulls over 30fps min with a 6870 online I'm pretty sure, so it's not like it would be terrible.

Student Win 7 64-bit, just double install it and it's fine. Lots of guides.

I guess I'm just afraid of overclocking... I never bothered with it in the past, as long as a game runs at least 30 FPS, I never really looked into it. I don't think I plan to play really taxing games that much but would like the option to try what's out there in a playable framerate. I mainly just need a new computer to do basic functions first, then gaming second. And I really want to play Diablo 3.

I will probably just go for the i5 2400 and keep everything else, which would push the total to around $730. Is that good value for the price?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I guess I'm just afraid of overclocking... I never bothered with it in the past, as long as a game runs at least 30 FPS, I never really looked into it. I don't think I plan to play really taxing games that much but would like the option to try what's out there in a playable framerate. I mainly just need a new computer to do basic functions first, then gaming second. And I really want to play Diablo 3.

I will probably just go for the i5 2400 and keep everything else, which would push the total to around $730. Is that good value for the price?
Yup. The extra power helps down the line in 2+ years and it helps now for emulation, that's mostly it for a gaming standpoint. Can often raise minimum fps in some games as well, usually RTS's.

clav

Picked up my HIS 7970 today. Now I can play BF3 at 2560x1600 in ULTRA with 4xAA 40+FPS... fucking awesome.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/steggs69/20120201_1128462.jpg[/IMG]

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/steggs69/DSC_0075.jpg[/IMG]

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/steggs69/DSC_0077.jpg[/IMG]

That's an awesome fan cooling zone you have there.

It surprises me how well most of the implementations are, but I still would like people to have some idea of what they are doing, to lock BLCK at 100, and know their CPU voltage.

Stuff might not be apparent in 1-2 years, but I've seen autos go above 1.40V and not everyone might be ok with that in a long run on their cooling setup.

I'm conservative.

Nah we're old school. When something breaks, we know what it is.

Pussy. You'll troll on the forums and never get banned but you're afraid of setting a couple of things in a BIOS to overclock? Don't overclock bomba on us.

One last question, is there any reason to get a 7950 over a 7970 besides being a little cheaper? I saw you guys mentioning noise maybe being a factor on the 7970? Thanks.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Pussy. You'll troll on the forums and never get banned but you're afraid of setting a couple of things in a BIOS to overclock? Don't overclock bomba on us.

To be honest, I'm not sure how it's done and if I need any special cooling. Yeah, that's how clueless I am

To be honest, I'm not sure how it's done and if I need any special cooling. Yeah, that's how clueless I am

Let me help you.

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ cooler ($20-25)

Go into the BIOS. Set the multiplier to 42. You're done and have achieved 4.2 Ghz.

Want 4.5 Ghz?

Go into BIOS. Set multiplier to 45. Add about 0.05v to the CPU. Test with IntelBurnTest. Is it stable for 20-30 passes? If so, you're done.

It's very, very easy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Overclock guide in the OP, but basically you can just set a fixed voltage or try offset and set your multiplier.

4.3Ghz is standard and it doesn't add much power draw at all. You need a K process and a P67 or Z68 motherboard to overclock.

AkIRA_22

SO I did a 'P' run on stock then Over clocked as far as Catalyst will allow. and the score went BACKWARDS by 37. Here is the highest I have achieved, which is with stock GPU clocks.

Pscorestock.png

AkIRA_22

I'm an idiot, I didn't reset the PC before re running 3Dmark after upping the clocks....

here it is over clocked, a huge improvement.

PscoreOC.png

2San

My current pc with the 2500k is my first time over clocking as well. If you go for a low range like 4,3 GHz. There isn't much that can go wrong. Just follow the steps. You have to remember this chip set also down-clocks itself automatically if it isn't intensively used. The chipset is really stable.

My mom needs a new computer for surfing the net, playing facebook games and word processing.

Is it worth buying the parts and building one, or just buy a pre-built? She needs a monitor though :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
My mom needs a new computer for surfing the net, playing facebook games and wod processing.

Is it worth buying the parts and building one, or just buy a pre-built? She needs a monitor though :(

A cheap , non-ripoff/garbage, laptop perhaps? Would eliminate the need for a monitor.

A cheap , non-ripoff/garbage, laptop perhaps? Would eliminate the need for a monitor.

if it's cheap, then whatever.

She's using a Walmart laptop right now (was 150 dollars), but it's been slowly dying. The screen keeps going in and out and she keeps crashing.

It's honestly not worth the effort to fix, especially since I know the components were so cheap that I'll be trying to fix it forever

TheExodu5

Banned
@Wario, while overclocking offers great value and is a great way to extend the life of your system, don't feel forced to go for the overclockable parts if your budget is already strained going from H67 + 2400 + stock cooler to Z68 + 2500K + Hyper 212+ means spending about $80 more.

That being said, if you want to dabble in PS2 and Wii emulation, I highly recommend going the overclockable route.

How big of a difference would a 2048 MB version of a 560 Ti be against a 1024mb? Enough to justify the 50 quid difference?
Honestly, I would go with 2GB to be a tad bit more futureproof. However, the difference between 1GB and 2GB is best felt when running your games in very high resolutions.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How big of a difference would a 2048 MB version of a 560 Ti be against a 1024mb? Enough to justify the 50 quid difference?

Depends on what resolution you're playing at and how long you want the card to last. If you don't really upgrade often (at least every couple years) or want to play at higher than 1200/1080p, the 2GB version would probably be a safer bet.

@Wario, while overclocking offers great value and is a great way to extend the life of your system, don't feel forced to go for the overclockable parts if your budget is already strained going from H67 + 2400 + stock cooler to Z68 + 2500K + Hyper 212+ means spending about $80 more.

That being said, if you want to dabble in PS2 and Wii emulation, I highly recommend going the overclockable route.

Yeah, I wouldn't even consider Wii emulation on something you can't OC. 2500 still struggles with a lot of games.

Gaaraz

I've got a PC I'm pretty happy with, it's an i7 with 8GB RAM but only has a 5750 graphics card.

I don't play an awful lot of games on the PC, but if I did upgrade the graphics I'd also want something that's preferably smaller, silent, lower power consumption etc etc... my computer is (sadly) a Dell, so for that reason I don't want to hold onto it too long... so should I look at getting a new graphics card, or hold onto my 5750 for now?

Thank you!

You don't much choice if you want something smaller but better. Is there even a better card than a 5750 that's either shorter or use just one slot?

Isaccard

Slightly OT Question.

Im debating between a headset for gaming and talking with friends. Quickest solution available is Logitech's G35's. Read some reveiws that mentioned it having driver issues on Windows 7 64bit. Anyone know for sure?

I've got a PC I'm pretty happy with, it's an i7 with 8GB RAM but only has a 5750 graphics card.

I don't play an awful lot of games on the PC, but if I did upgrade the graphics I'd also want something that's preferably smaller, silent, lower power consumption etc etc... my computer is (sadly) a Dell, so for that reason I don't want to hold onto it too long... so should I look at getting a new graphics card, or hold onto my 5750 for now?

Thank you!
AMD GPUs are excellent in their noise and power consumption levels. However, and not knowing your exact Dell model number, you might also be facing a power supply upgrade to go alongside that GPU. Just food for thought. Other than that, you're definitely looking at a bigger card than the 5750, if you want a good workhorse.

CSampson

Was overclocking my Athlon II X4 635 following a guide. Anyways I raised my voltage up a bi and increased the Cpu bus (locked multiplier).I actually put lower settings then what the guide recommended for stability. Anyways, the voltage increase rebooted fine into desktop. Cpu bus, however, did not. Black screen and comp isnt booting anymore (turns on and hangs). Did a quick google search and gonna read through my mobo manual (asus m4a89gtd series).

Am i fucked? new cpu time lol?

Arucardo

Was overclocking my Athlon II X4 635 following a guide. Anyways I raised my voltage up a bi and increased the Cpu bus (locked multiplier).I actually put lower settings then what the guide recommended for stability. Anyways, the voltage increase rebooted fine into desktop. Cpu bus, however, did not. Black screen and comp isnt booting anymore (turns on and hangs). Did a quick google search and gonna read through my mobo manual (asus m4a89gtd series).

Am i fucked? new cpu time lol?

Do a cmos reset on your motherboard to reset the bios settings/overclocks. Just check the manual where the jumper is and how you should place it to reset it.

find this in your manual: 1 x Clear CMOS jumper

here's a picture of it on your mobo: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_m4a89gtd_pro_usb3/images/15.htm

just move the blue cover on that three pin connector to the 2nd and 3rd pin then press the power switch on your pc to reset. Give it a few seconds and put it back to 1st and 2nd.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My mom needs a new computer for surfing the net, playing facebook games and word processing.

Just get the Dell tower for $360 at Best Buy.
560Ti? No.
560Ti 448 2.5GB maybe. For 1080 gaming 1.2GB default should be fine in most if not all cases I think.
Slightly OT Question.

Im debating between a headset for gaming and talking with friends. Quickest solution available is Logitech's G35's. Read some reveiws that mentioned it having driver issues on Windows 7 64bit. Anyone know for sure?
Headphones + Logitech USB mic imo
Lot more choices.

BadWolf

My current PC is a P4 2.9Ghz, 512 ram and some radeon gfx card. I think its running kind of old and am thinking of upgrading. I'm not into PC gaming at all so want something that will run HD videos well, work faster and work photoshop a little better.

What would a good setup for this be and how much would it cost? Would just upgrading the ram do the job?

scogoth

560Ti? No.
560Ti 448 2.5GB maybe. For 1080 gaming 1.2GB default should be fine in most if not all cases I think.

Second that. I have 1.25GB with my 470 and the only game that comes close to using all of it at 1080p is BF3 on ultra with 4xMSAA

CSampson

Do a cmos reset on your motherboard to reset the bios settings/overclocks. Just check the manual where the jumper is and how you should place it to reset it.

find this in your manual: 1 x Clear CMOS jumper

here's a picture of it on your mobo: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_m4a89gtd_pro_usb3/images/15.htm

just move the blue cover on that three pin connector to the 2nd and 3rd pin then press the power switch on your pc to reset. Give it a few seconds and put it back to 1st and 2nd.

Sweet thanks dude. My manual had it named differently but I ended up finding it. Then I turned on my PC for the fun of it and it booted, got into BIOS and I switched back. Good to know where my failsafe is though. I wish I could give you +rep :).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My current PC is a P4 2.9Ghz, 512 ram and some radeon gfx card. I think its running kind of old and am thinking of upgrading. I'm not into PC gaming at all so want something that will run HD videos well, work faster and work photoshop a little better.

What would a good setup for this be and how much would it cost? Would just upgrading the ram do the job?
You could buy a tower that has an AMD x4 CPU or Intel i3 in it for a low price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...ower/3775847.p?id=1218431574126&skuId=3775847
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...rive/2834128.p?id=1218354838953&skuId=2834128

I'm choosing the RAM for my ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3. I checked ASRock's website to verify that this RAM is compatible. The OP says to get 1.5V RAM but is it better/worse/same to get 1.25V? Also, on the ASRock site it doesn't have OC checked off for this RAM. Is overclocking memory something I'm going to want/need to do for any reason?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm choosing the RAM for my ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3. I checked ASRock's website to verify that this RAM is compatible. The OP says to get 1.5V RAM but is it better/worse/same to get 1.25V? Also, on the ASRock site it doesn't have OC checked off for this RAM. Is overclocking memory something I'm going to want/need to do for any reason?
DDR3 Low Voltage I'm not keen on. My gut says to just go for 1.5V because it works. I know 1.35V is 'supported' on SB-E, hadn't seen 1.25V until now. If it works it works, the only hesitation I have about it is that 1.65V was a ceiling for DDR3 voltage for 1155.
The power savings are very minimal (1-5W idle/load) that I would simply get 1.5V until I read up on it.

You can overclock any RAM you have, just depends if its stable or not.
Just got all my components in. Going to build tomorrow. Can't wait!

HUGE PIC
fuD2Z.jpg
What's the i7 for? Looks good to me, hope no DOAs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What's the best way to get started? I have an i3 from 2010 that could use a little OC boost.
Not multiplier overclockable. You can OC via FSB technically but you won't get much out of it and I'd just recommend staying at 100 (stock).
Intel are jerks

NH Apache

Banned

1. Fiance and I
2. Future mother in law
3. Future father in law
4. Family friend

They were all looking for new PCs. about 1 grand per gets them a machine that would cost around 2200 from Dell. Future FiL had a special request for Raid 1 so I got 2 1 TB drives for each comp.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks but don't Dell computers suck? Or so I remember hearing anyway.

Would it be better/cheaper to get one built using ncix?
You didn't give a price range so I gave you the best value for the money option. They are decent enough imo. Nicest ones to work on in the shop because we have disks that just install Windows without key fussing.

If you are in Canada NCIX can probably put you together a decent AMD x4 635 or 640 machine for more.

theRizzle

Slightly OT Question.

I have never run into any problems with mine.

BadWolf

You didn't give a price range so I gave you the best value for the money option. They are decent enough imo. Nicest ones to work on in the shop because we have disks that just install Windows without key fussing.

If you are in Canada NCIX can probably put you together a decent AMD x4 635 or 640 machine for more.

Ah, thanks man.

Arucardo

Slightly OT Question.

I bought those a little while ago and they were well worth the money. Most of the reviews I read were based on the old drivers and the current ones have fixed most of the issues I read about in the reviews like the individual channel volume adjustment. So far I haven't had a single problem with them and BF3 sounds amazing with them.

FoolsRun

If anyone is looking for an Intel 320 80GB SSD, NewEgg has them on sale today for $70 after rebate. That's the first I've seen an Intel drive for less than $1/GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom