• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity2012

Take a picture of the label on your power supply, or just write down the info.

photo8.jpg

Hope it helps. It says 300W.

Thank you.

DagsJT

The speed of both 3- and 4-pin fans can be adjusted. 3-pin fans are regulated using voltage control, while 4-pin fans support PWM, a different technology. However, if your motherboard only supports PWM-based adjustment, then I guess that's that. I don't have any particular recommendations on specific fans.

How much are you looking to spend? Noctua and Noiseblocker eloops are the best, but the Arctic F12 PWM is great on a budget.

Whenever you see PWM in a fan description, that means 4 pin. PWM = pulse width modulation (I think), and it controls speed by telling a fan to turn on and off repeatedly to reach the exact RPM.

Looking around, it seems CPU Fan and SysFan1 can be voltage controlled whilst SysFan 2/3 are PWM.

I noticed than my Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure cooler has an extension of its cable so I've plugged my rear case fan into that and I think the rear fan is now going at whatever speed the CPU fan is running. Front case fan plugged into SysFan1 and that seems a little quieter.

The PC still seems fairly loud though. My 7950 IceQ Boost is only running at 30% and dropping it to 20% didn't make much difference. I guess my old Fractal Design R3 maybe had better sound dampening due to the padding inside the case where my new Corsair 200r doesn't have any sound dampening.

jsrv

2x HDD, 1x SSD, 3570k Ivy Bridge, 4x 140mm Fans, 2x GTX670, 4x DDR3 RAM
Would a good quality 760W PSU be comfortably adequate for this?

UrgentPS

Neo Member
A quick question guys. I do a lot of video editing in Premiere Pro, motion graphics in After Effects and some 3D modeling in Cinema4D. I'm looking at buying a new PC, but I can't decide on the CPU.

Is the 3930K (€550,-) going to give me a significant boost in performance over a 3770K (€314,-) ? Those are the two I'm looking at right now, but I don't know if the price difference is going to be worth it in my line of work? Anybody any advise?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I build my new PC tomorrow :D

Intel 3770K - $250
Fractal R4 Case - $100
Samsung 830 256 GB SSD - $200
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $329.99 after rebate
Thermaltake TPG-650M Toughpower Grand GOLD 650W ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD . $129.99 - $20 Rebate = 109.99
ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - 79.99 - $20 Rebate = $59.99
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $105 after the instant savings and rebate
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO - $69.99
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler - $69.99

Total cost - $1294.95

I'm still pissed I didn't get $26 extra dollars off the Thermaltake, since that is why I actually went ahead and ordered it. Newegg's "Customer Service" sucks. I also probably could have saved $7 on the memory with the 10% off promo codes they always have.

AkIRA_22

For gaming? I'd say the upper one, since the difference for gaming between the i5 and i7 is close to nothing afaik. Noticed it isn't a K-chip either. Ivy Bridge are piss easy to overclock. Have you decided on a mobo yet?

Looks pretty awesome. All that money and why no SSD though? :eek:

240GB Vertex 3 is tucked nice and snug under the HDDs, you can juuuuuussssst see it.

DSC_0007.jpg

Whooter

If I'm going to be ripping and encoding a substantial number of DVDs and BluRays, in addition to gaming, am I going to be wanting an i7 and more than 8GB of RAM?

garath

Spent some time with my PC last night. Installed my new case fans to attempt to kill some of the vibration issues that has plagued my Corsair 650D case and I also installed my new 660ti.

Other than initially installing the fans backwards, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Corsair AF120s that I put in. They are a LOT quieter than the stock fans and have some great vibration dampening features. They push at least as much air as the older noisy ones too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RESG3A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The 200mm fan I put in was the BitFenix Spectre Pro. The jury is still out on that one. It pushes a decent amount of air but is really really thick. I replaced the front intake with the BitFenix and I was barely able to squeeze the hard drive cage back in the case. Even then it's a little crooked. It does the job though. I used the 7v low speed adapter per mrkenyon's advice and it seems to work out well. Supposedly it comes with these anti-vibration rivets but I have no idea how to use them. It does ok without though.

Oh and the 660ti installed great. What a huge card. Easily 3 inches longer than the 460. Fits just fine in my case though. Batman looks great with Physx turned on. Going to have to find some other games that tax the system a bit more.

Xdrive05

Spent some time with my PC last night. Installed my new case fans to attempt to kill some of the vibration issues that has plagued my Corsair 650D case and I also installed my new 660ti.

Other than initially installing the fans backwards, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Corsair AF120s that I put in. They are a LOT quieter than the stock fans and have some great vibration dampening features. They push at least as much air as the older noisy ones too.

The 200mm fan I put in was the BitFenix Spectre Pro. The jury is still out on that one. It pushes a decent amount of air but is really really thick. I replaced the front intake with the BitFenix and I was barely able to squeeze the hard drive cage back in the case. Even then it's a little crooked. It does the job though. I used the 7v low speed adapter per mrkenyon's advice and it seems to work out well. Supposedly it comes with these anti-vibration rivets but I have no idea how to use them. It does ok without though.

Oh and the 660ti installed great. What a huge card. Easily 3 inches longer than the 460. Fits just fine in my case though. Batman looks great with Physx turned on. Going to have to find some other games that tax the system a bit more.

Congrats man. That card is indeed huge, specifically the cooler. I had only about 1.5 inches to spare in my Antec 900 case. But it runs extremely cool & quiet with it.

Did you have any trouble with your AC3 promo purchase? I used up the promo code and finished the checkout but somehow did not get credit for the game. No email record of the purchase either. And now the promo is used up. :-/

garath

Congrats man. That card is indeed huge, specifically the cooler. I had only about 1.5 inches to spare in my Antec 900 case. But it runs extremely cool & quiet with it.

Did you have any trouble with your AC3 promo purchase? I used up the promo code and finished the checkout but somehow did not get credit for the game. No email record of the purchase either. And now the promo is used up. :-/

That sucks. :(

I haven't even tried to use it yet. I've been torn on playing the game or selling it on the cheap.

Probably will just play it. I hear it's impressive looking.

I love the Asus cooler for the 660ti. It's so quiet and so cool. My whole computer has never been this quiet and the temps are great.

DagsJT

I got a pair of AF120's free with my Corsair 200r case but I'm unsure whether they're better than the stock fans on the case. I can't seem to find any info about what fans are actually in the case but it's good to read that the AF120's are working well for you.

Edit: I've emailed Corsair to clarify if the stock fans are the same as the AF120's and whether it'd be worth replacing them with the AF120's.

garath

I got a pair of AF120's free with my Corsair 200r case but I'm unsure whether they're better than the stock fans on the case. I can't seem to find any info about what fans are actually in the case but it's good to read that the AF120's are working well for you.

Just comparing the build quality of the stock fans from my 650D and the AF120s, the AF120s are much higher quality. The blade is a little thicker and the mounting points on the AF120 is padded with rubber for dampening. Very impressed.

fatty

For the new build so far I have:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard
SSD: Samsung 256GB 830 Series Internal 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Case

Couple of questions

Considering my build, I'm assuming it isn't worth picking up this:

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $59.99 after $7 rebate

over this:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $42

even though the difference is only $18?? I plan to just use this for gaming with the occasional video editing and HD streaming but with a i5 3570K I don't know if 16GB of RAM is necessary.

For around $250 range, any good recommendations for a video card? I'm still content with my HD 5770 on the other PC to play SC2 for now, but I'd like to get a solid card in the next month or so for this new PC. From the OP I'm going to be looking out for deals on the HD7950 and the GTX 660Ti, and use the integrated graphics until I find a good deal.

Finally, should I look to stay at 550W for a PSU or go to 750W? Right now I'm contemplating between the Corsair TX and CX series for a 750W PSU.

Thanks!

Ledsen

For the new build so far I have:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard
SSD: Samsung 256GB 830 Series Internal 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Case

Couple of questions

Considering my build, I'm assuming it isn't worth picking up this:

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $59.99 after $7 rebate

over this:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $42

even though the difference is only $18?? I plan to just use this for gaming with the occasional video editing and HD streaming but with a i5 3570K I don't know if 16GB of RAM is necessary.

For around $250 range, any good recommendations for a video card? I'm still content with my HD 5770 on the other PC to play SC2 for now, but I'd like to get a solid card in the next month or so for this new PC. From the OP I'm going to be looking out for deals on the HD7950 and the GTX 660Ti, and use the integrated graphics until I find a good deal.

Finally, should I look to stay at 550W for a PSU or go to 750W? Right now I'm contemplating between the Corsair TX and CX series for a 750W PSU.

Thanks!

750w is overkill for a single GPU. A quality 550w is definitely enough.

fatty

750w is overkill for a single GPU. A quality 550w is definitely enough.

OK, thanks!

I will probably pick up this one:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V ($20 AR)

and swap it out with the 650W out of my current PC:

i7 860 processor ($230 + tax at Microcenter)
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard ($170 after rebate + tax at Microcenter)
Antec 300 Case ($30 after promo and rebate)
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 sound card ($12 on clearance)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V PSU ($70 after promo and rebate)
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 video card ($150 after MIR)
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM Hard Drive w/ Thermaltake BlacX External 2.5/3.5" Serial ATA HDD USB Dock ($77 after combo promo at newegg)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($105)
SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-S223L ($26)

Total ~$870

But I'm guess the main thing is to check the power consumption on both cards and use the larger PSU accordingly? I can't see anything else taking up so much power.

n64coder

When I opened the box the bottom 1/4th was exposed, really hoping it works when I install it tomorrow. Would you guys RMA it to amazon or take your chances opening the packaging?

I would take my chances and try it. If it doesn't work, then RMA it.

mkenyon

Banned
XFX PSU's on sale today, with an additional 20% off the listed price. The 'Core' and 'Pro' editions are rebranded Seasonics.

All Case Fans are also 20% off with promo code EMCJHND44.
OK, thanks!

The CX series should only be used in the most extreme budget builds. The CX430 is more like a 370W (or something similar) PSU. Get one of the XFX's in the link above or an Antec VP450/BP550.

kharma45

OK, thanks!

But I'm guess the main thing is to check the power consumption on both cards and use the larger PSU accordingly? I can't see anything else taking up so much power.

I wouldn't run something like a 7950 off that, instead I suggest the Seasonic 550w Core from the link that mkenyon posted.

mkenyon

Banned
Don't get the stuff you linked, you want low profile RAM to avoid complications. These are $31.50 each with promo code EMCJHND25. That RAM bests out some $200+ kits.

*edit*

To answer your question, there isn't a huge benefit to going from 8 to 16GB. If it's not a burden on your budget, or if it isn't affecting spending that $30 elsewhere, then it's a "Why not?". But, if that $30 gets you a better video card, for example, then that is where you want it to go.

Mikeside

Anyone interested in a 512GB Samsung SSD? I have a spare which I'm not going to use and I'm trying to sell it for about £320.

Model number: MZ7PC512HAGH

It's a Dell part (the company I work for is a Dell partner so I got a good deal on it), but it's just a Samsung 830 512GB SSD rebranded.

Unused in a sealed static bag.

Willing to take offers for this.

mkenyon

Banned
That's just barely below MSRP, and above common retailer promotion prices. You'll need to knock quite a bit off to get some bites.

Shambles

For those who aren't aware (I sure wasn't). LogMeIn launched their own cloud storage service last month. Why you might care? You get unlimited versioning and are able to have direct peer to peer syncing so you can keep your computers in sync without giving the service provider unfettered access to your personal files.

I know a lot of people like using LogMeIn for their other stuff so you might be interested in trying out with your existing LogMeIn account. So now I have dropbox, google drive, and cubby all running. This might replace dropbox for me though :p

https://www.cubby.com/

Also if you let me invite you I get another GB of storage :p

Anyone have an opinions, or experience, with the Intel 520 series of SSDs? I'm looking to buy an SSD, but I'm not sure if I should go for the M4, and the prices for the 830s are too high since they're being replaced by the 840 series by Samsung.

mkenyon

Banned
With getting SSD's, it's all about biding your time and nabbing one when they go on sale. You should be able to find an 830 or M4 for $.60-.70:GB if you watch daily.

With that being said, 520s are okay.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
1st test with the new system:

3570k oc'd to 4ghz
ASROCK Extreme3 Z77
8 gig G-Skill 1600
Sapphire 7950 @925

Running Metro 2033 on Ultra with DX11 at 1920*1080p was getting average of about 70FPS

Solid.

My dumbass turned it off last night thinking I was turning the front light off when I went to bed in a haze and had to restart all the other downloads this morning.

mkenyon

Banned
Dual core is better than a quad core?

Wut?
i3's are hyper threaded. i5's are not. Both have four threads. Although threads aren't as good as real cores, there are few games that use more than two cores. Those that do, are efficiently coded enough to give similar frame rates despite slightly weaker CPUs. In some cases, there is no performance difference. The games that have the most dramatic change based on CPU are single and dual threaded, and all that matters is frequency.

DagsJT

Edit: I've emailed Corsair to clarify if the stock fans are the same as the AF120's and whether it'd be worth replacing them with the AF120's.

No reply from Corsair but I changed the fans over anyway. The stock fans have thicker blades and are 0.15A whilst the AF120's are 0.33A or so. Unfortunately I'm still limited by the fans being 3-pin so not able to control both fans.

The rear fan is connected to the only Sysfan connector which controls voltage and that's really quiet. For the front fan, the only choice I have is to connect it to Sysfan2 and have it run at full speed, or connect it to the extension off the CPU cooler. I've gone for the second options and it's a lot quieter but still a lot louder than I'd like it to be. Disconnecting the front fan completely and my PC was near silent, it was great. Unfortunately I can't not have the front fan connected.

garath

No reply from Corsair but I changed the fans over anyway. The stock fans have thicker blades and are 0.15A whilst the AF120's are 0.33A or so. Unfortunately I'm still limited by the fans being 3-pin so not able to control both fans.

The rear fan is connected to the only Sysfan connector which controls voltage and that's really quiet. For the front fan, the only choice I have is to connect it to Sysfan2 and have it run at full speed, or connect it to the extension off the CPU cooler. I've gone for the second options and it's a lot quieter but still a lot louder than I'd like it to be. Disconnecting the front fan completely and my PC was near silent, it was great. Unfortunately I can't not have the front fan connected.

The AF120s are nearly silent. Not to disparage your concerns but how quiet do you need your computer? They are 21dba which is about the volume of leaves rustling.

In my case, the AF120s are much quieter than the stock fans and when I have my front Bitfenix 200mm fan on the 7v adapter, my computer is about as quiet as any computer I've ever owned with air cooling.

You could probably pick up a fan controller to control speed and back them down even further.

edit: oh yeah. mkenyon just asked a great question. If they are the performance edition (I have the quiet edition) then they are 30dba which is significantly louder.

Macattk15

I have an i5-2500k and a HD 5870 .... looking to upgrade video card. Is there any of the higher end cards that the 2500k would bottleneck?

Not wanting to upgrade processor at all.

I'm aiming around the GTX 670 and HD 7950 levels ... price wise.

Prozel

I have an i5-2500k and a HD 5870 .... looking to upgrade video card. Is there any of the higher end cards that the 2500k would bottleneck?

Shouldn't bottleneck at all. Do you OC it?

DagsJT

Get an in-line 7V adapter. Super cheap. Are they the Performance Editions or Quiet Editions?

The AF120s are nearly silent. Not to disparage your concerns but how quiet do you need your computer? They are 21dba which is about the volume of leaves rustling.

In my case, the AF120s are much quieter than the stock fans and when I have my front Bitfenix 200mm fan on the 7v adapter, my computer is about as quiet as any computer I've ever owned with air cooling.

You could probably pick up a fan controller to control speed and back them down even further.

edit: oh yeah. mkenyon just asked a great question. If they are the performance edition (I have the quiet edition) then they are 30dba which is significantly louder.

Performance editions and trust me, the sound of my front fan is a LOT louder than leaves rustling ;) With the front fan disconnected, the PC sounds great. The rear fan is voltage controlled and is whisper quiet. Just the front fan doesn't have a connection on my board to be voltage-controlled.

I'll check out the 7v adaptor though, and I've been looking at some fan controllers. Cheers for the tips.

Macattk15

Shouldn't bottleneck at all. Do you OC it?

Yeah the 2500K is OC'ed ... somewhere in the 4's. I can't recall ... I'll have to check whem I get home.

I figured I wouldn't be bottle-necked, but I just wanted to make sure as the 5870 is beginning to show its age at high settings in some recent games.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Can you wait a few months? AMD is supposedly launching the 8xxx series of cards Q1 or Q2. It will bring some price pressure on older models. Maybe the 8950 will fall in your price range too.

kakashi08

I just build my new pc
i7 3770
7970 crossfire sapphire
8gb ram

Q: First time I started it up, it said "cpu fan error press f1" so i did, and it the speed was low, and then it picked up in the 621RPM speed and it went away. But before i proceed installing windows and everything. Can you take a look at tell me if the cpu/mobo TEMP look fine. IDK what temp is normal. Want to make sure everything looks fine at this screen. Don't want my cpu to get hot and mess up. Thank You :)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/virkali/photo.jpg

Also is there any BIOS setting you recommend, or just proceed. I will not be doing OC anytime.

mkenyon

Banned
Can you wait a few months? AMD is supposedly launching the 8xxx series of cards Q1 or Q2. It will bring some price pressure on older models. Maybe the 8950 will fall in your price range too.
Not till Q2, and it might not be the beginning of Q2. Could be as much as 6 months away. If we see a repeat of this generation's launch again, it won't have any downward pressure on prices until the price war comes in effect, which is months into it.
I just build my new pc
i7 3770
7970 crossfire sapphire
8gb ram

Q: First time I started it up, it said "cpu fan error press f1" so i did, and it the speed was low, and then it picked up in the 621RPM speed and it went away. But before i proceed installing windows and everything. Can you take a look at tell me if the cpu/mobo TEMP look fine. IDK what temp is normal. Want to make sure everything looks fine at this screen. Don't want my cpu to get hot and mess up. Thank You :)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/virkali/photo.jpg

Also is there any BIOS setting you recommend, or just proceed. I will not be doing OC anytime.
Temp is low, but idle doesn't mean very much. At full load, you don't want the average temperature going above mid-70s with ivy.

It does the CPU fan error because the setting is for the stock fan which is a tiny diameter and has to spin at really high RPMs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

CPU: i5-3570
RAM: 16GB (lol black friday sales)
Video Card: HIS Radeon 6950
Storage: Kingston 256GB SSD and WD Caviar Black 640TB
Enclosure: Temjin TJ08E-B

kakashi08

Not till Q2, and it might not be the beginning of Q2. Could be as much as 6 months away. If we see a repeat of this generation's launch again, it won't have any downward pressure on prices until the price war comes in effect, which is months into it.

Temp is low, but idle doesn't mean very much. At full load, you don't want the average temperature going above mid-70s with ivy.

It does the CPU fan error because the setting is for the stock fan which is a tiny diameter and has to spin at really high RPMs.

So I should proceed.
I was just worried if I applied the CPU thermal paste correctly. N yeah I Google'd the cpu fan error thing and it said its about the settings/what you said.
But I should proceed right? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom