• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
7970 wasn't it? :p Glad you're pleased! :) I always prefer a single card set-up myself.

What drivers are you running it with? Don't forget to look into overclocking too :) but that's not an immediate concern.

Yeah it is a Saphire 7970OC (this one reviewed by Tom's Hardware, in fact). It actually has a literal switch on the card that you can simply flip to put it into overclocked mode. It is already overclocked some by default over the vanilla 7970s, though. I may play with it more in the future, but right now it already chews up everything I throw at it, so no need to even flip the switch at the moment.

Now I just hope my code for those three free games show up soon. I'm itching to try out Far Cry 3 but Amazon sends out the codes via e-mail 7-10 days after the order. The card got here first.

kharma45

Yeah it is a Saphire 7970OC (this one reviewed by Tom's Hardware, in fact). It actually has a literal switch on the card that you can simply flip to put it into overclocked mode. It is already overclocked some by default over the vanilla 7970s, though. I may play with it more in the future, but right now it already chews up everything I throw at it, so no need to even flip the switch at the moment.

Now I just hope my code for those three free games show up soon. I'm itching to try out Far Cry 3 but Amazon sends out the codes via e-mail 7-10 days after the order. The card got here first.

Yeah it'll be plenty powerful for almost everything out there at present, most games will barely make it sweat! Overclocking switch is handy, but it's probably a rather conservative one that I doubt would take it far beyond 1GHz, but you can worry about that further down the line! :)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
8GB, you'll not benefit from 16GB at all for gaming.

Today you'll benefit from having enough RAM to have all recently closed apps in standby cache. Ie, if you relaunch a closed app, most of the files will load from RAM and not HDD, so it's much faster for multitasking.

In 2 months you'll benefit in Crysis 3.

Get 16 GB. It's $80 for DDR3 1866 MHz.

jsrv

Today you'll benefit from having enough RAM to have all recently closed apps in standby cache. Ie, if you relaunch a closed app, most of the files will load from RAM and not HDD, so it's much faster for multitasking.

In 2 months you'll benefit in Crysis 3.

Get 16 GB. It's like $70 these days, right?

The PC High performance settings in the site says 8GB for Crysis 3. Since they also list the CPU as "latest quad core" and GPU as "latest DX11" and recommends SLI, I don't think the game would benefit from more than 8GB otherwise they would have listed 16+GB

So...
Long story short my i7-860 is Now old (4 years old at least), so it's time to SHAPE up!
Worth it waiting for haswell or i should go for high range current gen (price range about 2k eur)?
Consider i swap my pc once every 3-4 years, no less...
Nothing gets changes lest it breaks...

iavi

Did Virtu MVP ever end up becoming something worth anything in use? It's advertised on all the boards now, and the Biostar I have on the way features it.

I remember initial benchs being all over the place with it.

Moegames

Banned
Did Virtu MVP ever end up becoming something worth anything in use? It's advertised on all the boards now, and the Biostar I have on the way features it.

I remember initial benchs being all over the place with it.

good question, any input on this would be appreciated.. i was looking at this yesterday but didnt really have time to dig into more research. All i read is that it helps with Vsync without limiting you to 60fps...that's as far as i got before i had to leave for work. I take it this is for cpu's that have on-board graphics..i just got my 3570k and the rest of my parts in today so tonight i'll be doing my new build. I started my holiday vacation early (starts tomorrow) using almost three weeks worth of my vacation days i have per year. Gonna be a relaxed fun filled holiday even though i am not leaving the house lol

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So...
Long story short my i7-860 is Now old (4 years old at least), so it's time to SHAPE up!
Worth it waiting for haswell or i should go for high range current gen (price range about 2k eur)?
Consider i swap my pc once every 3-4 years, no less...
Nothing gets changes lest it breaks...

We're so close to Haswell, I'd wait. It may be a meager 10% faster over Ivy which was only 7% faster than Sandy, but I'm hoping to be surprised. Sandy was 40-50% faster than Westmere, which I believe was marginally faster than your Nehalem.

More importantly new GPUs should arrive about the same time as Haswell, and those are more consistent with their performance increases.

The PC High performance settings in the site says 8GB for Crysis 3. Since they also list the CPU as "latest quad core" and GPU as "latest DX11" and recommends SLI, I don't think the game would benefit from more than 8GB otherwise they would have listed 16+GB

If you're budget could handle it, I'd fork over the extra $40 to get 16 GB so you aren't barely making it with a new rig that should last 2-6 years depending on your build frequency.

androvsky

Just took advantage of the Microcenter sale, went from a Phenom X3 to an i5. I'm getting the impression Windows 7 doesn't like it when you switch motherboard and CPU. Everything seems to be running fine, I'm posting from my Linux install, but Windows BSODs moments after it starts to boot. Running the repair utility just complains about a bad driver.

I take it I'm going to need to do a clean install of Windows 7?

t-ramp

Just took advantage of the Microcenter sale, went from a Phenom X3 to an i5. I'm getting the impression Windows 7 doesn't like it when you switch motherboard and CPU. Everything seems to be running fine, I'm posting from my Linux install, but Windows BSODs moments after it starts to boot. Running the repair utility just complains about a bad driver.

It might be because your motherboard SATA ports are set to IDE instead of AHCI, or vice versa.

Hey guys I'm putting together my new pc and I ran into a huge problem. Before I connect all the parts, I tried powering up my computer with just the mobo, CPU, video card and ram. When I try to power it up , it turns on for 2 seconds then immediately shuts off. All the fans (video card, cpu, psu) turn on but no beeps. It powers up for a second then immediately shuts down. Anyone help?

GorillaJu

I've got a CM hyper 101 heatsink/fan and its started rattling like a bitch. I can't figure out what to do, bar buying a new heatsink (which I might do), anyone have any tips?

Hey guys I'm putting together my new pc and I ran into a huge problem. Before I connect all the parts, I tried powering up my computer with just the mobo, CPU, video card and ram. When I try to power it up , it turns on for 2 seconds then immediately shuts off. All the fans (video card, cpu, psu) turn on but no beeps. It powers up for a second then immediately shuts down. Anyone help?

Check and make sure you plugged up ALL the power outlets on the motherboard. Mine had three. Most have more than 1 nowdays.

Edit: I say this because what you described is exactly what happened to me when I was missing a 4 pin power plug in the corner of the motherboard

You're running off the same install of Windows 7? Then yes, always clean install after getting a new motherboard and CPU.

Sandfox

I'm going to end up upgrading my build in another month via Microcenter. I was going to wait for Haswell but I think I'd rather just buy Ivybridge since there isn't too much of a boost to warrent the eventual difference in price IMO. I'll probably end up with this:

i5 3570k
ASUS P8Z77-V LX
8GB of RAM(not sure which brand)
ASUS EAH6850 DC(I already have this and I'm planning on just waiting another year to upgrade especially since my current monitor maxes out at 1600x900)

I may buy a new case as well.

MisterNoisy

I've got a CM hyper 101 heatsink/fan and its started rattling like a bitch. I can't figure out what to do, bar buying a new heatsink (which I might do), anyone have any tips?

Replace the fan - any 80mm (ideally PWM) fan with decent output (plan to spend $8-15) will do. Before you do this, make sure the rattling isn't coming from a stray cable interfering intermittently with the fan blades.

That said, a Hyper 212 or Xigmatek SD1283 costs something like $20-30 and would both cool better and run quieter, assuming they'll fit in your case. Both are trivially easy to install in modern enthusiast cases - if yours doesn't have a cutout under the CPU socket, you would have to pull the motherboard, though.

If you don't have room for a 120mm cooler, there's always the Hyper TX3, which also doesn't require motherboard removal.

I LOVE YOU!!! That did the trick. Second problem is that I get no display. The video card's fans power up, does this mean it's connected properly?

Most videocards have more than one plug too. Also, you are plugging your monitor into the back of thr card, not into the motherboard, right?

MisterNoisy

Is anyone building a cheap PC that needs a free case for it? I have a couple of cheaper cases (Rosewill GearX3 and Sunbeam EVO) laying around and would like to give them away to people in the continental US. Figure I'd offer them up here for a bit before resorting to the 'Free to a Good Home' thread.

EDIT: Both cases claimed.

GorillaJu

Replace the fan - any 80mm (ideally PWM) fan with decent output (plan to spend $8-15) will do. Before you do this, make sure the rattling isn't coming from a stray cable interfering intermittently with the fan blades.

That said, a Hyper 212 or Xigmatek SD1283 costs something like $20-30 and would both cool better and run quieter, assuming they'll fit in your case. Both are trivially easy to install in modern enthusiast cases - if yours doesn't have a cutout under the CPU socket, you would have to pull the motherboard, though.

If you don't have room for a 120mm cooler, there's always the Hyper TX3, which also doesn't require motherboard removal.

Thanks for the reply. Actually it is a TX3, not a 101. Thought maybe they were the same since I couldn't find the TX3 on the CM website and 101 looked the same, visually. The Hyper Evo is more expensive in Japan, so I'd rather avoid buying another unit after I already dropped 40 or so for the one I have. Though the Scythe Shuriken is tempting because of how quiet it is...

I've already checked for any cables or interference. I'll stop by the electronics store today to get a new fan. I couldn't figure out how to remove just the fan, though. Otherwise I would have attempted to cure it with a few drops of oil first.

I have enough room for a 120mm fan now. My old case was too small to close with the Hyper TX3 and my video card, so I went out and bought a new case and didnt realize how giant it was (Antec three hundred) because sitting on the store shelf it looked "normal" compared to all the other huge cases. Lol

It does have a cut out behind the CPU spot on the motherboard and both panels can be removed, so if I did get a fan with rear mounts installing it wouldn't require removing the Mobo.

Exuro

Is anyone building a cheap PC that needs a free case for it? I have a couple of cheaper cases (Rosewill GearX3 and Sunbeam EVO) laying around and would like to give them away to people in the continental US. Figure I'd offer them up here for a bit before resorting to the 'Free to a Good Home' thread.
Rosewill still available? My little brother has the worst case ever. For some reason it's missing motherboard holes so only half of them are screwed in. I got it from a friend for free a while back while first building his computer so I have no idea what the model is. All I know is I wouldn't of paid more than $5 for it. I got him an SSD so having a new case along with it would make his machine feel new. Been looking around for a new one.

Am I missing something, or is Amazon not offering any of the free games deals with their graphics cards like other sites are? Was looking at cards for a friend and noticed this.

Geforce 670 - Newegg - Amazon
No mention of a free Assassin's Creed 3 or Borderlands 2 on Amazon.

Radeon 7970 - Newegg - Amazon
No mention of the never settle bundle on Amazon.

Both are sold by Amazon, not a re-seller.

EDIT: Some of the other Radeons have the bundle, but not seeing any of the GeForce bundles.

It could be not seated properly. Some videocards are really tight fits now days so it can be tricky.
Yeah it's working now. Installing windows 7 right now.

I bought a ssd drive, regular drive, and a DVD drive, but the motherboard only came with 2 sata cables. I'm assuming I have to go and buy another sata cable?

MisterNoisy

Rosewill still available? My little brother has the worst case ever. For some reason it's missing motherboard holes so only half of them are screwed in. I got it from a friend for free a while back while first building his computer so I have no idea what the model is. All I know is I wouldn't of paid more than $5 for it. I got him an SSD so having a new case along with it would make his machine feel new. Been looking around for a new one.

Absolutely. Send me a PM with the address, and I'll UPS it out. I'll even throw some extra 120mm fans in the box. :)

Am I missing something, or is Amazon not offering any of the free games deals with their graphics cards like other sites are? Was looking at cards for a friend and noticed this.

Geforce 670 - Newegg - Amazon
No mention of a free Assassin's Creed 3 or Borderlands 2 on Amazon.

Radeon 7970 - Newegg - Amazon
No mention of the never settle bundle on Amazon.

Both are sold by Amazon, not a re-seller.

yes, there are for Radeon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000859341&ie=UTF8&noitems=16:39:50

I got the Saphire 7970 OC for $430 and am very happy with it.

Exuro

Absolutely. Send me a PM with the address, and I'll UPS it out. I'll even throw some extra 120mm fans in the box. :)
Thanks a lot, pm sent!

EDIT: Watching the case video amd the PSU is on the bottom! Such a pain having it in the top like his current one. :D
EDIT2: Wow this is a much nicer case than I thought on first glance. He's gonna freak out.

MisterNoisy

Thanks for the reply. Actually it is a TX3, not a 101. Thought maybe they were the same since I couldn't find the TX3 on the CM website and 101 looked the same, visually. The Hyper Evo is more expensive in Japan, so I'd rather avoid buying another unit after I already dropped 40 or so for the one I have. Though the Scythe Shuriken is tempting because of how quiet it is...

I've already checked for any cables or interference. I'll stop by the electronics store today to get a new fan. I couldn't figure out how to remove just the fan, though. Otherwise I would have attempted to cure it with a few drops of oil first.

I have enough room for a 120mm fan now. My old case was too small to close with the Hyper TX3 and my video card, so I went out and bought a new case and didnt realize how giant it was (Antec three hundred) because sitting on the store shelf it looked "normal" compared to all the other huge cases. Lol

It does have a cut out behind the CPU spot on the motherboard and both panels can be removed, so if I did get a fan with rear mounts installing it wouldn't require removing the Mobo.

I'd swap out for a 120mm cooler, then. Look at the Hyper 212+ instead of the EVO if the EVO is overpriced. If you just want to replace the fan, look for 92mm PWM units if you're using a TX3.

NoRéN

You're running off the same install of Windows 7? Then yes, always clean install after getting a new motherboard and CPU.
I'm guessing this doesn't apply to OEM installs?

EDIT: Rosewill claimed. I still have the Sunbeam available, though.

Damn that's aweful nice of you!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Step 1 of my update process is underway. Ordered a Samsung 830 128GB for 105. Was going to get it on Amazon but their price went up 50 dollars since this morning. I was going to pick it up tomorrow morning but at 150, I would rather not. So 105 is the tally. I'm trying to think of what to do before installing. It seems like the 830 comes with the USB converter cable. I'm thinking about updating the FW prior to using this but I'm still reading.

theycallmeryan

Neo Member
Any advice on this? Buy now or wait for sales around Christmas? I kind of want it now so I can have it by Christmas Eve so I can take advantage of some time off from work and school. Also, any advice on possible changes? This is my first computer build and some great people over on CAG and reddit were helping me out with this one, I just want a few more opinions before finally pulling the trigger.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($70.78 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard ($75.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech Performance Wireless Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe ($9.99)
Total: $1442.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-18 23:19 EST-0500)

Any advice on this? Buy now or wait for sales around Christmas? I kind of want it now so I can have it by Christmas Eve so I can take advantage of some time off from work and school. Also, any advice on possible changes? This is my first computer build and some great people over on CAG and reddit were helping me out with this one, I just want a few more opinions before finally pulling the trigger.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($70.78 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard ($75.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech Performance Wireless Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe ($9.99)
Total: $1442.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-18 23:19 EST-0500)

Looks like a great build and those three free games on the Radeon run out December 31st. That is a considerable value especially if you are interested in them. I say go for it.

I have the same mouse and love it amd just got a Radeon 7970 and am very happy with it as well. If it were me, I would skimp a bit on the keyboard and case and get a decent headset and a 360 wired controller/wireless dongle instead. But the hardware build itself is great.

MisterNoisy

Thanks a lot, pm sent!

EDIT: Watching the case video amd the PSU is on the bottom! Such a pain having it in the top like his current one. :D
EDIT2: Wow this is a much nicer case than I thought on first glance. He's gonna freak out.

Warning: The plastics for the front fascia are quite brittle.

Out of curiosity, are you going to be installing any 3.5" bay devices or anything in the 5.25" bays besides an optical drive? If not, I have a Cooler Master 4:3 + fan adapter that would look nifty in the front panel, provide extra airflow and save you the hassle of having to deal with the crappy tabs that hold in the front mesh panels.

theycallmeryan

Neo Member
Looks like a great build and those three free games on the Radeon run out December 31st. That is a considerable value especially if you are interested in them. I say go for it.

I have the same mouse and love it amd just got a Radeon 7970 and am very happy with it as well. If it were me, I would skimp a bit on the keyboard and case and get a decent headset and a 360 wired controller/wireless dongle instead. But the hardware build itself is great.
I already have an Xbox 360 controller, and I honestly don't care much about a headset and could always buy one later. Since I can't find a good deal on a Samsung SSD, would you recommend this one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W2JKZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or should I just pay $20+ more for the Samsung that I have listed on my PC Part Picker build?

I already have an Xbox 360 controller, and I honestly don't care much about a headset and could always buy one later. Since I can't find a good deal on a Samsung SSD, would you recommend this one? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W2JKZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or should I just pay $20+ more for the Samsung that I have listed on my PC Part Picker build?

For me, I found a good pair of stereo headphones made PC gaming way better since you are right there in front of the monitor. It makes it a very immersive and intimate experience. I dont even have speakers hooked up to my PC any more. But I realize this is more subjective.

As for the SSD, Crucial is a reputable brand. Frankly, either is fine since SSDs boot to Wndows crazy fast. It is milliseconds difference.

Are PCI ports a uniform port? To be more specific can any GPU plug into any PCI port?

If you mean PCI Express, essentially yes. A PCI 3.0 supporting videocard will work fine in a PCI 1.0 slot on a motherboard or vice versa.

However motherboards generally have designated slots for videocards and may have smaller PCIe slots for other cards that are not as large.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

theycallmeryan

Neo Member
I brought this pair, only $20. I received them today. I like the sound, and they are very comfortable.

Those look really nice, I may add that to my build. Thanks! I'm getting ready to go to bed to sleep on this build, when I wake up in the morning I may buy this :p.

Is it worth waiting on savings during the week of Christmas? Or should I buy now so I can take advantage of some time off from work and school over the holidays?

Those look really nice, I may add that to my build. Thanks! I'm getting ready to go to bed to sleep on this build, when I wake up in the morning I may buy this :p.

Is it worth waiting on savings during the week of Christmas? Or should I buy now so I can take advantage of some time off from work and school over the holidays?

Steam sale starts next week. I say be ready for the fun.

You may end up missing out on a way to save $30$-$50 or so, but if it were me, I'd rather consider that s vacation expense and it isnt even guranteed there will be better deals then.

Exuro

I'd like to thank Exuro and GK86 for helping me to free up some closet space. :)
Thank you man. These past few days my little brothers computer went from aggravating freezing issues(ended up being the wireless pci card) that I thought was a broken mobo to now having a few upgrades that will make his system really nice come next week. He'll be ecstatic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom