• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhengi

I spent about 5-6 hours yesterday building and configuring my pc. It has been a while since I built my last pc and it was a lot of fun. Right now I am downloading League of Legends and Saints Row the Third on Steam to my PC and that has taken all night to complete. I want to check out how those games will look on my tv once I hook up the pc to it.

kharma45

Awesome!!!! thanks so much dude.

Can't wait, ordering now.

So what's going to be the bump from my MBPr?

Purely from the GPU you're looking at this (use the 7870 as the reference point as it's only marginally faster than the 7850)

iMdROYaAREj63.png

Hopefully someone like Haz or mkenyon can chime in for their thoughts on that upgrade. There is enough room in your budget to get a 7870 if you wanted btw.

Right, I could sell it too. Increasing the budget, but not entirely sure how much its worth. Do you guys feels it's worth waiting on it for now?

You'd get at least £80 going by eBay prices, and then you could afford something like this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-065-HS

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...hicscards/amdhd7950series/gv-r795wf3-3gd.html

performance wise it'll be this much of a jump roughly http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=645

Check your PSU though to see what connectors are available, as the 7950 needs two six pin ones.

Edit - Sapphire Vapor-X is cheaper than both on Amazon but they don't mention the three free games

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0091MFBZC/

If you're interested I'd email them to find out as it should come with them. Also, it needs one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-Express power cable for operation whereas the other two are two six pin.

clashfan

I see avadirect is recommended as a system builder. I checked their website and their prices are around $200 cheaper then maingear on comparable systems. Is avadirect legit? Why are their prices so low compared to maingear?

Also what is a good website for deals on components and pre-built systems?

Gowans

Purely from the GPU you're looking at this (use the 7870 as the reference point as it's only marginally faster than the 7850)

iMdROYaAREj63.png

Hopefully someone like Haz or mkenyon can chime in for their thoughts on that upgrade. There is enough room in your budget to get a 7870 if you wanted btw.

Brill! Can't wait!

Well thanks! All ordered! (had to pay delivery) but can't wait for stuff to start showing up this week.

kharma45

Good god :D

That's a leap. That'll last me quite a while right. Cool, thank you guys for the info, I'll look into it.

Yeah the 7950 is a great card, and it'll overclock too to give an even bigger boost.

Brill! Can't wait!

Well thanks! All ordered! (had to pay delivery) but can't wait for stuff to start showing up this week.

Like the 7950 above your 7850 will OC easily too, at worst you'll hit 1050MHz on stock volts with it.

From a quick Google around, you'd expect to see for example a g850 (not quite as powerful as your CPU will be) with a 7850 (at stock) while playing bf3 (multiplayer) getting around 25-40 frames while in combat with settings maxed.

OCing your 7850, the better CPU and a drop of a few settings (like AA, AF and shadows) and you should I hope be able to get near-ish 60 and still have it looking fantastic. It'll be your CPU that holds you back in BF3, it's one of the few games to need a quad core but by choosing an Intel 1155 mobo it gives you an upgrade path to a quad core i5 if you ever felt the need.

DagsJT

Any good guides for OC'ing a 7950? I tried putting the power up 20% and did a small increase on the clock and memory but games started to crash so not sure I've got a great card.

n64coder

I have a quick question. I am trying to get audio to output through hdmi on my video card and my headset which is connected through the front audio ports at the same time.
Although I can't seem to find a fix for it any solutions?
Using Windows 7

I hope that I'm mistaken but I don't think you can do this.

kharma45

Any good guides for OC'ing a 7950? I tried putting the power up 20% and did a small increase on the clock and memory but games started to crash so not sure I've got a great card.

When you say power do you mean the voltage itself or something else? What 7950 is it?

DagsJT

When you say power do you mean the voltage itself or something else? What 7950 is it?

HIS 7950 IceQ Boost. Using CCC. I dragged the power slider up to the 20% max setting.

I've also got MSI Afterburner installed, which I can use if preferred to CCC.

NoRéN

Getting a CPU Fan Error! Message at boot.

Fan seems to be working fine and core temps are normal. Any idea on how to fix this?

kharma45

HIS 7950 IceQ Boost. Using CCC. I dragged the power slider up to the 20% max setting.

I've also got MSI Afterburner installed, which I can use if preferred to CCC.

CCC doesn't let you adjust voltages iirc. MSI afterburner or Trixx should let you adjust them.

Without tweaking voltages you should be able to get 1050 MHz or at worst 1025 MHz.

garath

NoRéN;45514839 said:
Getting a CPU Fan Error! Message at boot.

Fan seems to be working fine and core temps are normal. Any idea on how to fix this?

Maybe you don't have the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan slot?

Gowans

Like the 7950 above your 7850 will OC easily too, at worst you'll hit 1050MHz on stock volts with it.

From a quick Google around, you'd expect to see for example a g850 (not quite as powerful as your CPU will be) with a 7850 (at stock) while playing bf3 (multiplayer) getting around 25-40 frames while in combat with settings maxed.

OCing your 7850, the better CPU and a drop of a few settings (like AA, AF and shadows) and you should I hope be able to get near-ish 60 and still have it looking fantastic. It'll be your CPU that holds you back in BF3, it's one of the few games to need a quad core but by choosing an Intel 1155 mobo it gives you an upgrade path to a quad core i5 if you ever felt the need.

Fab, looking forward to it, i'll clean down windows and add the HDD in prep.

Hoping the stuff shows up in a decent order & speed, GPU should be here Wed and the rest Fri latest.

Okay. Possibly a dumb question but I want to be sure. I'm thinking of getting a new Mobo and cpu, specifically Core i7-3770K CPU and Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard. I want to keep my PSU which is a Corsair TX 750. Currently using a Phenom II 955 which requires 125w. Is the PSU suitable for the i7?

Thanks.

derder

Okay. Possibly a dumb question but I want to be sure. I'm thinking of getting a new Mobo and cpu, specifically Core i7-3770K CPU and Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard. I want to keep my PSU which is a Corsair TX 750. Currently using a Phenom II 955 which requires 125w. Is the PSU suitable for the i7?

Thanks.
yipyip

Plasmid

Faster RAM will give you a 0.5%-3% boost in various things.

Intel for sure. VP450 for PSU. Get 8GB of RAM.

One takes up more room.

Go with the OP build and a $100-$120 monitor

The $574 Op Build will be good enough for most games? Can it be upgraded easily if need be?

Also where should i be buying tool kits to help me build?

Ty4on

It'll be your CPU that holds you back in BF3, it's one of the few games to need a quad core but by choosing an Intel 1155 mobo it gives you an upgrade path to a quad core i5 if you ever felt the need.

Do you know much about multiplayer with i3? In TechReport's SP bench it had pretty much i5 performance thanks to the hyperthreaded cores.

scogoth

Do you have any info on multiplayer with i3? In SP it has pretty much i5 performance thanks to the hyperthreaded cores.
MP BF3 is very map and player count size dependent. I have an i7-930 quad core at 4.3GHz with 2 GTX680s and frame rate varies from 100+ on 16 player team deathmatch to 30 in 64 player conqueat aftermath maps. Thatd all on three screens though. i3 will be acceptable for most situations. You may seem some frame rate drop on intense close quarter 64 player maps.

mkenyon

Banned
Do you know much about multiplayer with i3? In TechReport's SP bench it had pretty much i5 performance thanks to the hyperthreaded cores.
I've read a few things there that tried to show performance difference, but the data was really hard to interpret and there was no methodology. I have heard that MP is very CPU reliant, but I have no idea if it is around frequency, threads, or real cores. Hopefully I'll have this information right around the new year.

beje

Banned
The $574 Op Build will be good enough for most games? Can it be upgraded easily if need be?

Also where should i be buying tool kits to help me build?

Yes and yes (if you use a Z77 board to pop in an i5 or i7 later down the line). Also, all you need is a normal "X" screwdriver as every single piece comes with the necessary screws and spacers.

Plasmid

I just put together the $574 build without a mouse or keyboard. What exactly am i going to need along with what i've chosen? Do i need a CPU Cooler? I literally know nothing about building pc's or a majority of the parts i'll also need.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sWPC

I just found out i can upgrade to windows 8 for $40 though, so that saves $50.

I just need to know what i'm going to need, thermal paste, coolers or what?

Gumbie

I get a massive discount from Intel.

Don't worry about the price of the SSD, Mobo, or Processor. Just look at the other parts and let me know what's missing/better suggestions.

Ohhhh, in that case looks like an awesome build. I'm jelly of that processor and SSD.

mkenyon

Banned
My PC Build. Suggestions please. Let me know if i'm missing anything!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=29110248
Swap the RAM for the Samsung 30nm RAM. X79/2011 overclocks via BCLK as well as multiplier, and has a really nice IMC. The Samsung RAM should take you to 125 BCLK and get you in the 2000-2200 MHz range for memory clock.

If you aren't planning on eventually adding another 2 670s, go with a 650W PSU. Even with two total 670s, a good 650 can deal with that no problem.

Since you are getting a crazy discount, maybe look at the SR motherboard?

kharma45

I just put together the $574 build without a mouse or keyboard. What exactly am i going to need along with what i've chosen? Do i need a CPU Cooler? I literally know nothing about building pc's or a majority of the parts i'll also need.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sWPC

I just found out i can upgrade to windows 8 for $40 though, so that saves $50.

I just need to know what i'm going to need, thermal paste, coolers or what?

Change the RAM to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or this

Your GPU to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663

iavi

Swap the RAM for the Samsung 30nm RAM. X79/2011 overclocks via BCLK as well as multiplier, and has a really nice IMC. The Samsung RAM should take you to 125 BCLK and get you in the 2000-2200 MHz range for memory clock.

If you aren't planning on eventually adding another 2 670s, go with a 650W PSU. Even with two total 670s, a good 650 can deal with that no problem.

Since you are getting a crazy discount, maybe look at the SR motherboard?

Hey, this may be a silly question, but even with getting the 8gb G Skill Sniper for free from new egg, I plan to get another 8gb samsung. The two of them being different won't give any issues when OCing, right?

kennah

That substantially decreases your odds of a successful overclock. The more ram you add the more chances there are for problems. Square that if you are mixing manufacturers.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey, this may be a silly question, but even with getting the 8gb G Skill Sniper for free from new egg, I plan to get another 8gb samsung. The two of them being different won't give any issues when OCing, right?
Yeah, as Kennah points out, it becomes a total PITA. Definitely avoid that.

hwalker84

The thing I like about that Seasonic is that its fully modular and I only have to connect the cables i need. Keeping everything really clean.

I'm pretty sure the cooling I picked will fit in my case but do you guys think its a great choice? Am I missing anything? It's been forever since i've built one from scratch.

mkenyon

Banned
The thing I like about that Seasonic is that its fully modular and I only have to connect the cables i need. Keeping everything really clean.

I'm pretty sure the cooling I picked will fit in my case but do you guys think its a great choice? Am I missing anything? It's been forever since i've built one from scratch.
How important are aesthetics to you? You can grab the Corsair AX series (non -i), which are rebranded Seasonic X's. These allow you to buy unisleeved cables for a super nice install. Pic for reference:

Those these aren't the Corsair ones in specific, here's an idea of what it looks like in my old R4:

hwalker84

How important are aesthetics to you? You can grab the Corsair AX series (non -i), which are rebranded Seasonic X's. These allow you to buy unisleeved cables for a super nice install. Pic for reference:

Those these aren't the Corsair ones in specific, here's an idea of what it looks like in my old R4:

Aesthetics aren't important at all. Though that looks incredibly sexy.

my slight OCD with these computer parts is starting to annoy me since the BP550 doesn't match the color of my case and its sticking out like a sore thumb :(

Hopefully i can continue to ignore it since the BP550 has been a fucking champ so far.

Ty4on

I've read a few things there that tried to show performance difference, but the data was really hard to interpret and there was no methodology. I have heard that MP is very CPU reliant, but I have no idea if it is around frequency, threads, or real cores. Hopefully I'll have this information right around the new year.
Awesome! That techreport bench seemed to show a difference between i3s and Pentium that I hadn't seen anywhere else so it would be cool to see the difference HT does.

Edit: Do you know what apps they use to show frame latency and graph framerate/latency over time?

MP BF3 is very map and player count size dependent. I have an i7-930 quad core at 4.3GHz with 2 GTX680s and frame rate varies from 100+ on 16 player team deathmatch to 30 in 64 player conqueat aftermath maps. Thatd all on three screens though. i3 will be acceptable for most situations. You may seem some frame rate drop on intense close quarter 64 player maps.

Love how you're playing BF3 on 3 monitors with 64 players and it's still playable :p

I get a massive discount from Intel.

Damn marketing. I know it doesn't really beat an i5 in most games, has the same die as the 3820 and the 3930k can do nearly the same, but I still want it :D
You should get a t-shirt, big sticker and everything in the box just to show the world you have an Extreme Edition CPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom