• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Thanks for the replies guys. I've definitely considered the 2gb 670. Would the 4gb be noticeably better in performance over 2gb? I can afford, with Christmas here and such, but I don't wanna be silly with my money.

Though I will admit, quite a large part of me wants to get it.

99% of the games are design for 2GB or less. It's only when you start adding mods do the 3/4GB make a big difference. A 2GB card would stuttering badly running Skyrim with 2GB of added mods.

NoRéN

yea i guess if i'm spending the money, i might as well splurge and go for the best one available. thanks noren!
Glad to help!

Hey everyone. So I put a MSI 650 in my old pc for whenever my girlfriend wants to play the occasional game. Mostly Portal 1-2 and Deus Ex. What setting should I lower to make sure the games run well?

With that said, I wouldn't mind upgrading the graphics on that so if someone has upgraded and is looking to get rid of a GTX 550ti or 460 for cheap, hit me up!

DTKT

NoRéN;45765297 said:
Glad to help!

Hey everyone. So I put a MSI 650 in my old pc for whenever my girlfriend wants to play the occasional game. Mostly Portal 1-2 and Deus Ex. What setting should I lower to make sure the games run well?

With that said, I wouldn't mind upgrading the graphics on that so if someone has upgraded and is looking to get rid of a GTX 550ti or 460 for cheap, hit me up!

AA and Shadow are usually the ones to lower first. After that, it's a mix of textures resolution, and other effects.

Not even the 450$ rig in the OP?
My shit is 7 years old.
Might as well go 150$ more tho if im doing 450$.
Ugh.

I'm just a crazy canadian where everything costs more and we have a lot of tax so it's pretty much a $600 minimum over here. But yeah, the OP is solid though I personally would start at the i3 unless you're super-strapped for cash.

gogojira

Would this 650W power supply be enough for a single GTX 680? Looking at the guide, I'd think so. Basically, I have one already bought and never used so it'd benefit my wallet.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not even the 450$ rig in the OP?
My shit is 7 years old.
Might as well go 150$ more tho if im doing 450$.
Ugh.
That will do if you are really budget strapped. I suggest the 3220 upgrade, and GPU upgrade if possible on that.
Would this 650W power supply be enough for a single GTX 680? Looking at the guide, I'd think so. Basically, I have one already bought and never used so it'd benefit my wallet.
Yup. Great PSU too.

gogojira

That will do if you are really budget strapped. I suggest the 3220 upgrade, and GPU upgrade if possible on that.

Yup. Great PSU too.

Great, thanks Haz. Hate to bug you, but any analysis on this RAM (G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600)? Basically, I did what might be considered a dumb thing and bought a few pieces in preparation for the rig I was building. Before I bought anything too crazy, I had to pull out temporarily. I want to make sure the few pieces I do own are still good to go (it was only a couple of months ago, but still) as I'll be finishing the rig here soon.

Perhaps the biggest purchase I made was my motherboard, which still seems good when I reference your guide. It's an Asus P8Z77-V LK.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Great, thanks Haz. Hate to bug you, but any analysis on this RAM (G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600)? Basically, I did what might be considered a dumb thing and bought a few pieces in preparation for the rig I was building. Before I bought anything too crazy, I had to pull out temporarily. I want to make sure the few pieces I do own are still good to go (it was only a couple of months ago, but still) as I'll be finishing the rig here soon.

Perhaps the biggest purchase I made was my motherboard, which still seems good when I reference your guide. It's an Asus P8Z77-V LK.
Fine
It's a ref card that supposedly has issues with overheating. Tempting, but I wouldn't buy.
Haven't heard about any ref 670's having problems since it has such low power consumption, is it just that specific model? Where did you hear that?

After suggestions, here is my near final build.

Planned Build -
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard - ASRock Z77E-ITX
Memory - Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600
Storage – Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card – 7970 – Brand TBD
Case - BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply - Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I basically decided that the switch from a 7950/660 Ti to a better card was worth it. I basically decided the 7970 looked like a better deal than the 670 and 680. I hope you agree. I am banking on AMD upgrading their drivers even more.

That said, I am having trouble deciding what version of the 7970 to go with that still isn’t completely insane in terms of pricing (looking at you MSI). I am think of:
-Sapphire 7970 using Dual X - $359.99
-Gigabyte 7970 using Triangle Cool – $399.99

Link Here

I have seen reviews of both:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-overclock-review,3186.html

Both seem ok from reviews. But there are reports of the Sapphire making noises and the PCB bending and the card taking up 2.5 slots… Are these things I should actually care about or believe are real? Lastly, Still good on the 550W power supply (I will be overclocking the entire system) and this should fit my setup (I still have no idea how people do this sizing).

Thanks. Hopefully, this is last round of crazy questions.

I hope to buy the card in the AM.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MSOH7C/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Thermalright True Spirit (120)
An7aZ.jpg

Anyone have anything to say on this.

Already ordered it with some extra fans and a single din fan controller but feedback wouldn't hurt.
evga gtx 660 ti sc 3gb (stupid name & and no crazy gpu artwork on the box) is kinda hot.

iavi

Bumped. Any thoughts?

Not sure about the Define, but I bought 4 Corsair AF120's to replace all the stock fans that came with my Corsair 550D-another case that bills itself as a silent, high performance case. Those seem to get rave remarks. I bought 2 performance editions for the front intake, and 2 quiet editions for the top exhaust. I've always figured that you can do better than stock.

Hawk269

NoRéN;45757956 said:
Damn, 500gb isn't enough for you?

I can uninstall Steam games and re-install later, right? I'm getting a little worried my 256gb ssd might get filled up soon.

Why not just download Steam Mover and transfer games you don't play a lot to a normal HDD? I also have the same size SSD and only keep the games I am currently playing or games that greatly benefit from the speed of the ssd...all my other games I use steam mover and move them to one of two 1tb hdd's I have.

NoRéN

Why not just download Steam Mover and transfer games you don't play a lot to a normal HDD? I also have the same size SSD and only keep the games I am currently playing or games that greatly benefit from the speed of the ssd...all my other games I use steam mover and move them to one of two 1tb hdd's I have.
Didn't know about that.

However I should have been a bit more clear. I got the 256gb ssd because I never even maxed out the he on my old pc. It had 200gb and I probably used up half. So I figured the 256gb would be enough and so far it's only half full.

With that said:
1) can I uninstall games if needed?
2) is there a reason most people don't use sad exclusively?

Echoplx

I keep reading about draw latency issues on AMD cards and it's the only thing holding me back from getting one at this point, is this an actual issue or what?

UrgentPS

Neo Member
So after some heavy researching, I think this is going to be my final build. But I'd like you guys to give it a quick look, so I can be sure that I won't be making some huge mistakes :)

I have to mention that I do a lot of video editing, motion graphics in After Effects and I'm slowly picking up on my 3D skills. I run a small video production company, so this PC will be mostly used for that; but I'd like it to be able to run BF3 smoothly, just for those slow work days!

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K 3.2GHZ FC-LGA4, "Sandy Bridge E" (€539,-)
Cooler: Noctua NH-DH14 (€86,90)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 FW, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX (€220,-)
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R7950WF3-3GD (€289,-)
PSU: Corsair TX650M (€97,90)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White (€94,90)
SSD: Crucial M4 512GB (€379,-)
HDD: WD 1TB Black (€86,90)
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Vengeance Low Profile Quad-kit (€81,90)
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray BH10LS38 (€74,90)

(Dutch prices)

Total damage: €2060,90. But because it will be a company PC, I can deduct that taxes. So the total price will be close to €1700,-.

So, anybody any advise?

abunai

NoRéN;45771185 said:
Didn't know about that.

However I should have been a bit more clear. I got the 256gb ssd because I never even maxed out the he on my old pc. It had 200gb and I probably used up half. So I figured the 256gb would be enough and so far it's only half full.

With that said:
1) can I uninstall games if needed?
2) is there a reason most people don't use sad exclusively?

1) Yep!
2) Size limits/cost, most likely. At the rate at which ssd prices have been dropping, they'll be more common. A few of my friends were afraid of ssd's because of how broken the experience with them was just a few years ago, but they're solid as a rock these days (if you buy the right ones).

I keep reading about draw latency issues on AMD cards and it's the only thing holding me back from getting one at this point, is this an actual issue or what?

It's not gonna be something you notice unless you're going to watch your monitor's output through a high speed camera. If you were used to a GPU with low frame latency, then it might be more noticable at first but nothing deal breaking. It's not even exclusive to AMD cards. There was that video with the HD7850 on skyrim (that I think you're referring to) which showed it vs a 660Ti, which has low frame latency; but even old Nvidia Fermi cards had frame latency issues. It's part of the problem with trying to compare cards with different architectures etc with a single figure (FPS).

tl;dr you won't notice it

Necrovex

I wasn't sure where else to ask help regarding overclocking some items, so I decided to ask here. I want to overclock my CPU (Intel Core I7) and GPU (Nvidia 570).

I have attempted to use Dolphin, and I realized that I need to overclock these items to play some of my Wii games on the PC without massive slowdown. Plus, it would be quite beneficial for some of my newer PC games.

I have never done any form of overcloking before, and Google simply gives me guides that terrify me. Could anyone provide me with some instruction or a guide that a complete noob could understand?

Akai__

I wasn't sure where else to ask help regarding overclocking some items, so I decided to ask here. I want to overclock my CPU (Intel Core I7) and GPU (Nvidia 570).

I have attempted to use Dolphin, and I realized that I need to overclock these items to play some of my Wii games on the PC without massive slowdown. Plus, it would be quite beneficial for some of my newer PC games.

I have never done any form of overcloking before, and Google simply gives me guides that terrify me. Could anyone provide me with some instruction or a guide that a complete noob could understand?

Not sure, if this will help you, but this seems to be a OC guide thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=454318

---

Edit:

Why are motherboards not using the same/an universal pin layout? Is there a specific reason?

Please don't kill me. I'm new to this whole hardware thing.

Sanic

Reposting from the Steam thread, probably moving too fast to get help there:

Hopefully this post isn't lost...

I reinstalled Windows the other day. All of my Steam stuff is on a second, separate drive. Problem is that some games just straight up don't work, and others only work if I verify cache integrity. Is there something I need to do here?

After suggestions, here is my near final build.

Planned Build -
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard - ASRock Z77E-ITX
Memory - Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600
Storage – Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card – 7970 – Brand TBD
Case - BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply - Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I basically decided that the switch from a 7950/660 Ti to a better card was worth it. I basically decided the 7970 looked like a better deal than the 670 and 680. I hope you agree. I am banking on AMD upgrading their drivers even more.

That said, I am having trouble deciding what version of the 7970 to go with that still isn’t completely insane in terms of pricing (looking at you MSI). I am think of:
-Sapphire 7970 using Dual X - $359.99
-Gigabyte 7970 using Triangle Cool – $399.99

Link Here

I have seen reviews of both:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-overclock-review,3186.html

Both seem ok from reviews. But there are reports of the Sapphire making noises and the PCB bending and the card taking up 2.5 slots… Are these things I should actually care about or believe are real? Lastly, Still good on the 550W power supply (I will be overclocking the entire system) and this should fit my setup (I still have no idea how people do this sizing).

Thanks. Hopefully, this is last round of crazy questions.

I hope to buy the card in the AM.

Any opinions? Am I overdoing it with the 7970 and should just get a 7950 (Either MSI, Gigabyte, or Sapphire) and save 50 to 100 bucks and then just OC the heck out of it?

Possible 7950 to choose from.

Zaph

Is the Samsung 840 Pro a good choice for a 'premium' SSD or is there a better buy for the money?

Also, are there any issues I should look out for when cloning an SSD (with Windows 7) to a newer SSD?

bdrob

First thing I'd do is drop to a 3570K. Whilst the 3770K is nice if you're only editing videos once a year there's no need for it. You'd get a better value deal if you bought the components separately and OC'd yourself.

Also get this RAM too http://www.cclonline.com/product/84...800C11-1600MHz-30nm-Dual-Channel-Kit/RAM0612/

SSD wise I'd change to something like a Samsung 830, 840 Pro, Intel 330 or Crucial M4.

I'd also look again about your case, would a mid tower not suffice?

I have had a re-think on the case front today and come up with a few alternatives which would save another £80 on the build:

Corsair Carbide 200R
Antec One
Antec Three Hundred Two

Couldn't see any of these in the op; they're all around £50 and seem to have pretty decent reviews (though I cannot find any directly comparing them!). I think the Three Hundred Two offers a bit more space then the others ... opinions?

No, the 840 series use new low-endurance TLC NAND. Avoid avoid avoid.

It is my understanding that the 840 pro and 830 use MLC. Only the 840 non pro uses TLC. I have only heard good things about the 840 Pro and it being really fast overall. Tested had a good review.

kharma45

Any opinions? Am I overdoing it with the 7970 and should just get a 7950 (Either MSI, Gigabyte, or Sapphire) and save 50 to 100 bucks and then just OC the heck out of it?

Possible 7950 to choose from.

Remember a good OC is never guaranteed, although in saying that with the 7xxx you have to be quite unlucky to not be able to hit 1100MHz with them. For the sake of $60 I'd be tempted myself if I was spending that money to go for a 7970, and then OC the hell out of it :p

Is the Samsung 840 Pro a good choice for a 'premium' SSD or is there a better buy for the money?

Also, are there any issues I should look out for when cloning an SSD (with Windows 7) to a newer SSD?

840 Pro is a good buy.

I have had a re-think on the case front today and come up with a few alternatives which would save another £80 on the build:

Corsair Carbide 200R
Antec One
Antec Three Hundred Two

Couldn't see any of these in the op; they're all around £50 and seem to have pretty decent reviews (though I cannot find any directly comparing them!). I think the Three Hundred Two offers a bit more space then the others ... opinions?

Considered either of these?

http://www.cclonline.com/product/76...0-II-Advanced-Mid-Tower-Chassis-Case/CAS0567/

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...hopping/PUP_Cases/BitFenix/CA-019-BX&pup_c=gs

I've always liked the look of this two but reviews wise the two above fair better

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006I2H0YS/

Remember a good OC is never guaranteed, although in saying that with the 7xxx you have to be quite unlucky to not be able to hit 1100MHz with them. For the sake of $60 I'd be tempted myself if I was spending that money to go for a 7970, and then OC the hell out of it :p

Haha ok. So any insight if I should do the Gigabyte Windforce 3x version or the Sapphire Dual X version? people reported issues with the board bending on the Sapphire and whining. Should I take stock in this? I take it the 550 watt still works and how do I make sure these will fit into my prodigy.

Moegames

Banned
Haha ok. So any insight if I should do the Gigabyte Windforce 3x version or the Sapphire Dual X version? people reported issues with the board bending on the Sapphire and whining. Should I take stock in this? I take it the 550 watt still works and how do I make sure these will fit into my prodigy.

I just bought a gigabyte 7870 ghz edition 2gb card... it comes factory overclocked at 1100 core/1200 memory....let me tell you that windforce x3 with the three fans is very VERY nice and quite at the same time and even overclocked i never go over 50c. I can easily overclock it to 1250 core/ 1400 memory and it runs without a hitch..ran it through Heaven DX11 Benchmark, played Crysis1 on all high settings,etc..no problems no crashes..i could probably push it further but i see no need to as it already out performs a stock 7950 at my current overclock. You will be able to overclock any 7000 series AMD card with the windforce x3 fan that comes with it...because of this windforce x3 cooler it's one of the best if not the best 7000 series card to get for overclocking..

I use a XFX Core Edition 550 watt PSU....this XFX psu is actually made by seasonic in case you did not know. It powers my gpu just fine and i also overclock a i5-3570 which is currently at 4.6ghz...the 550 watt psu does the job well...keep in mind i also have 6 120mm case fans running and that is not counting my Cooler Master 212 Plus with two 120mm fans for a push/pull cpu cooling setup.

Ty4on

I just ordered the OCZ Vector 128gb, should i cancel and go with the samsung 840 pro instead?

OCZ have had a bad rep with their SSD drives, but the Vector looks like their response with a much longer development time and better testing. Doesn't it have a 5 year warrenty as well?

I'm no SSD expert, but I think the Vector is ok.

bdrob

840 Pro is a good buy.

Considered either of these?

http://www.cclonline.com/product/76...0-II-Advanced-Mid-Tower-Chassis-Case/CAS0567/

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...hopping/PUP_Cases/BitFenix/CA-019-BX&pup_c=gs

I've always liked the look of this two but reviews wise the two above fair better

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006I2H0YS/

Cheers, I also agree that the Corsair's look appealing but from the reviews they do both seem to fall short of the performance mark. The BitFenix didn't seem to do too well either.

Torn now between the Antec One which I have found for £37 at OCUK, which seems like a steal provided my 570 fits, and the Coolermaster you suggested. Bit pricier and I dislike the exterior, but quite a bit roomier on the inside ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom