• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

Did you check MB mounts and maybe a pin in the wrong place or power cable not in right? Could be many a factors.

I would also add that since you reseated the cooler and did not reapply thermal paste, the cpu could be overheating and the pc shuts off because of it.

Echoplx

Alright, so yesterday we moved my brothers pc into a new case. He brought it home and it'll boot, but its shutting off a short time afterwards both before and after windows starts up. It was working perfectly in the old case, and the only thing I changed was reseating the cooler so would removing/reseating the cooler without adding new paste be the possible problem? Thanks

You need to reapply thermal paste

Computron

I am pretty sick of ATI right now. I cant use all the features/software I want and the new drivers are weird. It's time for an upgrade anyway.

What's the hardware cycle like on high end Nvidia GPUs these days? (I am talking ~$400 +/-) I want something for when Crysis3 and Unreal Engine 4 games come out so that I can max them out at 1080p. (Although, I can easily deal with slightly lower res and no/post-AA)

I would prefer something by that time, unless better/cheaper variants of the GPUs are just around the corner, like after February. I hear the Nvidia cards might refresh or go down in price around the end of spring, no?

I wanna stick with Nvidia for the better drivers and their ability to force render features not present in Catalyst (TX/FX/AA, AO) as well as the Cuda/Physx hardware acceleration features for 3d/art software that I use like After Effects and 3Ds-max/modo.

MotherFan

Dang! What do you do with your PCs? A GTX 680 w/ 4 GB and 32 GB system ram? BEAST!!!!

Play all my new games at 60fps with all settings maxed out :p Plans are to get a better monitor so I can put all the power to use. Right now, it is helping with stuff like HD texture packs and preventing fps from dropping. I wanted to future proof it as well.

Exuro

NoRéN;45995533 said:
I would also add that since you reseated the cooler and did not reapply thermal paste, the cpu could be overheating and the pc shuts off because of it.
Okay, hopefully it's just this. He has an old watercooler on his cpu which is getting replaced soon(hyper 212 in the mail atm) and it was a pain to keep it all connected when moving it to the new case. I'll just have him wait until tuesday to get it switched out.

Didn't realize thermalpaste was such a core part of the computer.

mkenyon

Banned
I am pretty sick of ATI right now. I cant use all the features/software I want and the new drivers are weird. It's time for an upgrade anyway.

What's the hardware cycle like on high end Nvidia GPUs these days? (I am talking ~$400 +/-) I want something for when Crysis3 and Unreal Engine 4 games come out so that I can max them out at 1080p. (Although, I can easily deal with slightly lower res and no/post-AA)

I would prefer something by that time, unless better/cheaper variants of the GPUs are just around the corner, like after February. I hear the Nvidia cards might refresh or go down in price around the end of spring, no?

I wanna stick with Nvidia for the better drivers and their ability to force render features not present in Catalyst (TX/FX/AA, AO) as well as the Cuda/Physx hardware acceleration features for 3d/art software that I use like After Effects and 3Ds-max/modo.
You're in luck, because they don't even exist anymore!

The new cards will be out Q2ish. As far as pricing goes, it's anyone's guess. Last launch, they basically released the new cards and priced them competitively against the previous gen at first, which was really really strange. They might try and pull that again.

NVIDIA doesn't really have better drivers at the moment. NVIDIA Inspector is much better than the AMD version though.

Computron

^^^^

NVIDIA doesn't really have better drivers at the moment. NVIDIA Inspector is much better than the AMD version though.

LOLOLOLOL.

Well fine, this isn't exactly fair. I would say that they're OK at best.

They still wont allow me to force certain effects/features for older games or allow for things like TXAA.
Also, they don't offer any hardware acceleration in any of my art software other than Photoshop.

You're in luck, because they don't even exist anymore!

LOL. Whatever, AMD-Shmayemdee. :p

The new cards will be out Q2ish. As far as pricing goes, it's anyone's guess. Last launch, they basically released the new cards and priced them competitively against the previous gen at first, which was really really strange. They might try and pull that again.
So Q2 you say? Any word on these new cards feature/power wise? What do you estimate will happen to the price of the older cards?
Also, given the level of quality/resolution I am looking for from my previous post, any estimate/guess on price for Q2?

What kind of OC'ing do you have to be looking at doing in order for water cooling to make sense?

Also, what is the maintenance like for that sort of system?

Hi All,

I am putting together my PC right now, and I am running into a small issue. So, I have a BitFenix Prodigy case and I am using a Corsair H60 cooler. Usually Corsair suggests that the H60 be an intake... but the problem is I lose the best place for getting intake, front top. The front bottom can't take it since there is and SSD and HDD there so there is no space.

Is it worth not putting the Noctua NF-F12 PWM in the intake top front and putting it in the top bottom (SSD and HDD block it immediately) to keep the H60 as an intake, or do I move the H60 and make the H60 an outlet in the back?

I should add that I am using the stock fans in the top as an outlet and will use the last stock fan where it is is needed (either was intake or outlet)

Here is a picture:

x2bHE.jpg

Thanks.

That is one thing I've been very curious about. I've been using AMD for awhile now and the latest preview build of RadeonPro is pretty great but Inspector seems to have more options, especially for AA.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
be careful with the fans on that GPU. their mounted in by duct tape and prayers. Any meaningful application of force and they'll break right the fuck off.

I just want to note that the heatsink seems well applied on both of mine.

So far so good, the only problem I had was connecting my optical drive to a SATA 3 port rather than a SATA 2 so it was not being recognized, after swapping, things booted up without issue.

One problem I am wondering about, is that these things Gigabyse GTX 670's are supposed to be quiet, and they're running at (what I hope) is full blast and don't seem to be slowing down on their own. Did I not install something correctly?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hmm. Computer isn't recognizing my 2nd video card. So I have to do something in bios to get both to register? MB manual just says I shoudl be able to activate in the NVidia panel. SLI bridge connecter is hooked up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hmm. Computer isn't recognizing my 2nd video card. So I have to do something in bios to get both to register? MB manual just says I shoudl be able to activate in the NVidia panel. SLI bridge connecter is hooked up.

I'm an idiot...

I forgot to plug the modular power cable for card 2 in...

Unexpectedly, this also seemed to solve the fan noise problem...

After being stuck for a while with DDR2 mobo and 3-core AMD (and an old coolermaster case covered in cat throw up) I decided to upgrade. Went with 3770k, this mb, 16GB ram, and this case. Think I'm going to hold onto my 560ti until the 700s come out.

The hardest part was getting XP installed since I have W7 upgrade version. Couldn't find my old disc, then got bsods when formatting (had to have drive set to IDE mode) and after a few other hiccups everything's up and running. Last time I skimp and get an upgrade version.

MisterNoisy

At last, all the components have arrived:

I'll start assembling tomorrow... Haven't done a from-scratch build in about 6 years. Should be interesting.

Very cool - looks like it's going to be a fun build and a pretty beast rig when it's done. :)

Not that I see. Just the pictures on that website. :(

all I know is I'm jelly.

Worklog is here:

http://www.pcaxe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7571

Best guess from the pics and lightly perusing the thread: Corsair 600T, Corsair AX750, 2600K, Gigabyte P67-UD5 B3, 2x EVGA Classified GTX580, Corsair H70 (100?), a lot of cool fab work

scogoth

I apologize in advance for the image bomb, but while researching custom liquid cooling solutions (I will be doing one), I came across this. Please share in my nerdgasm'd, blown-awayness.
bask with me in the glory of the lord.

Cool but I wouldn't dare paint the VRM heatsink. That's like wrapping a stove in a blanket.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Sorry guys, totally shit the bed there. Fixed:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vyxi

Currently looking for an equivalent power supply that I might be able to get cheapest from Amazon rather than NCIX, just to consolidate orders, but other than that I'm happy with it I think.

Hi All,

I am putting together my PC right now, and I am running into a small issue. So, I have a BitFenix Prodigy case and I am using a Corsair H60 cooler. Usually Corsair suggests that the H60 be an intake... but the problem is I lose the best place for getting intake, front top. The front bottom can't take it since there is and SSD and HDD there so there is no space.

Is it worth not putting the Noctua NF-F12 PWM in the intake top front and putting it in the top bottom (SSD and HDD block it immediately) to keep the H60 as an intake, or do I move the H60 and make the H60 an outlet in the back?

I should add that I am using the stock fans in the top as an outlet and will use the last stock fan where it is is needed (either was intake or outlet)

Here is a picture:

x2bHE.jpg

Thanks.

I hate to quote myself, but my post got hit by the photo dump, so I doubt anyone would see it.

mkenyon

Banned
I apologize in advance for the image bomb, but while researching custom liquid cooling solutions (I will be doing one), I came across this. Please share in my nerdgasm'd, blown-awayness.
Pffft, H100. I thought you said watercooling.

Totally gorgeous build though, could spend hours on MDPC
Any specs on this monstrosity?
Guesstimate going off of visual memory:

Gigabyte P67/Z68 UD7
2xGTX 580
Corsair AX850 PSU
4xwhateverGB Corsair Dominator RAM
H100
Some SSD
What kind of OC'ing do you have to be looking at doing in order for water cooling to make sense?

Also, what is the maintenance like for that sort of system?
It's about aesthetics and silence. With AMD cards, you can actually hit some clocks that would otherwise be unrealistic on an air cooled card. Kepler, not so much at all. It's all about limiting the only fans in your computer to carefully selected, low spinning, high pressure 120mm fans.

As far as processors go, there really is zero point outside of aesthetics with Ivy. Sandy-E is really the only Intel proc line that warrants going under water right now.
Hi All,

Here is a picture:

x2bHE.jpg

Thanks.
Exhaust in the rear top, most definitely.

F12's are not good for intake though, they are known to cause all sorts of weird noises when they're not behind a radiator/heatsink. Put it as the exhaust on the H60.

You want CASE|RAD|<-FAN-- exhausting.
Sorry guys, totally shit the bed there. Fixed:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vyxi

Currently looking for an equivalent power supply that I might be able to get cheapest from Amazon rather than NCIX, just to consolidate orders, but other than that I'm happy with it I think.
Looks good!

scogoth

It's about aesthetics and silence. With AMD cards, you can actually hit some clocks that would otherwise be unrealistic on an air cooled card. Kepler, not so much at all. It's all about limiting the only fans in your computer to carefully selected, low spinning, high pressure 120mm fans.

As far as processors go, there really is zero point outside of aesthetics with Ivy. Sandy-E is really the only Intel proc line that warrants going under water right now.

Pfft de-lid it like a man

mkenyon

Banned
Pfft de-lid it like a man
You first!

Though, I've seen that it doesn't get a whole lot better once de-lidded. Need the big heat spreader with some delicious solder.

*edit*

Also, for clarification, when I say watercooling, I mean open loops. Not the closed loop options from Corsair, CM, and NZXT. Those things are just really compact air coolers for all intents and purposes.

Exhaust in the rear top, most definitely.

F12's are not good for intake though, they are known to cause all sorts of weird noises when they're not behind a radiator/heatsink. Put it as the exhaust on the H60.

You want CASE|RAD|<-FAN-- exhausting.

Thanks, mkenyon. Always appreciate the feedback!

scogoth

Could try some of that Indigo Extreme.

\m/

Yeah I'm thinking this

With indigo extreme... all I need are some washers the same thickness as the IHS to put on the underside of the motherboard lowering the waterblock to proper height. this guys method of guess and see how it goes is a little crazy.

Karmum

Banned
One of my two GTX 460s seems to be running pretty hot (or what I consider pretty hot), as of late. Even with fan speeds nearly at max, the second GTX 460 sits somewhere in the 80 C range. My theory is that both cards don't sound as loud as they normally did at such high fan speeds, probably because the second one's fan isn't running as it should be? I noticed it like two or three days ago when I bought Deus Ex: HR and last night with Max Payne 3. Obviously somewhat demanding games, though.

Yes, I do have both overclocked and the voltage is higher than stock, but those settings have been the same for the past few months.

Well, I might have messed up. I was installing the H60's radiator and I saw the Covering over the H60's thermal paste had come off and was slightly hit by other computer parts. Now, with this picture, does it warrant me going and buy new paste and applying it before giving this a shot, or do you think it is ok and should go for the install?

jKRsS.jpg

Thanks.

Love the use of actual metal tubing. Very cool, and a ton of work.

I don't even know what to say. Works of art.

Pffft, H100. I thought you said watercooling.

Totally gorgeous build though, could spend hours on MDPC

yea, one of my friends just tipped me off to the H-100. Definitely going that route unless I decide to cool the GPU too.

Gotcha. Very interesting.

Plasmid

So i just read from my twin frozr ii, i need a minimum 500w PSU, that's what it says on the box at least. i have a 450W PSU and was wondering if it's really going to be that big a problem if i use it for about a week or so?

iavi

Is the hyper 212 evo fine for a solid OC of the 3570k? I'm talking. 4.4~4.5ghz. The CPU and it's cooler are the last parts needed for my build, and I'm wondering if I really need to spend the extra cash on something like the H80i, which is all I've left room for after planning out the airflow, and purchasing a bunch of AF120's. My case is the Corsair 550D.

mkenyon

Banned
Is the hyper 212 evo fine for a solid OC of the 3570k? I'm talking. 4.4~4.5ghz. The CPU and it's cooler are the last parts needed for my build, and I'm wondering if I really need to spend the extra cash on something like the H80i, which is all I've left room for after planning out the airflow, and purchasing a bunch of AF120's. My case is the Corsair 550D.
Totally fine. I say walk into Ivy expecting 4.4GHz. That's totally within the boundaries of the 212+.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Totally fine. I say walk into Ivy expecting 4.4GHz. That's totally within the boundaries of the 212+.

I bought to 2 212's a couple years ago and will be transferring both my fans and using the spare (unused) heat sink onto my 3770k. I've been using push/pull on my 2500k at 4.8ghz and it runs remarkably well and I read the 3770k runs even cooler. I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom