• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Works for me.

I also will be using higher quality or better SATA cables as the ones I got now so I hope it means better ssd performance.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
so... how do I enable super sampling in half life 2?

Just drove down to Microcenter in Chicago this morning and grabbed my:

i5 3570K and ASUS P8Z77-V LK
for $285.52 after taxes (later, $285 - $15 rebate = $270!!)

Really excited :) just nervously waiting and watching tons of build videos while my last part - my video card - arrives tomorrow.
I will try to post up some pics tomorrow as I build.

Thanks PCGAF!
These few months I have learned so much through you guys.

I thought I'd ask here instead of doing my own research and pouring over countless reviews/benchmarks. :D

Which would YOU do?

Run two 670's OC'd in SLI (I don't know the performance boost adding the second card gives. Doubling the RAM is obvious, but does it double the performance?)

or

Run a single card of the next-gen nVidia (assuming it's going to get the 40-55% performance increase over a 680 that I read about)

If a single card with the GK110 GPU may actually perform better, I would consider waiting to splurge on the video card when that releases.

timnich

Need a bit of help. I bought a brand new motherboard for my pc. I installed everything, put on windows 7. Then as it starts up the desktop for the first time, it shuts after 20 sec of being on the desktop. Now my pc is stuck on loop, showing the bios start up screen and restarting immediately.

Could my cpu be fried? I've tested every other component so I know it's not anything else. Also, the first time I installed my aftermarket cooler I ran into some trouble with the thermal paste. I put on way too much, and some got on the underside. I had since cleaned it and had the cpu work fine until today when I installed a new motherboard. This time I put on very little, could I have not put on enough?

Ty4on

so... how do I enable super sampling in half life 2?
With Nvidia all you need to do is use Nvidia's supersampling. Never done it, but it looks easier than doing it on my AMD card (forcing a higher res) and that was pretty easy.

Remember to add regular AA (if you can). TF2 with 8xAA and 1440p on a 1080p screen looked really smooth and really fitted the clean, comic book style art.

scogoth

Need a bit of help. I bought a brand new motherboard for my pc. I installed everything, put on windows 7. Then as it starts up the desktop for the first time, it shuts after 20 sec of being on the desktop. Now my pc is stuck on loop, showing the bios start up screen and restarting immediately.

Could my cpu be fried? I've tested every other component so I know it's not anything else. Also, the first time I installed my aftermarket cooler I ran into some trouble with the thermal paste. I put on way too much, and some got on the underside. I had since cleaned it and had the cpu work fine until today when I installed a new motherboard. This time I put on very little, could I have not put on enough?

Sounds like you didnt install the heatsink correctly and the CPU is shutting down to protect itself.

Hey guys, just about to pull the trigger on buying this card , but one thing is putting me off and that's the anti aliasing . ATI cards don't do SGSSAA and it's a real negative for me, as well as the use of nvidia inspector etc.

Does anyone know if there's any alternatives AA-wise?

Thanks!

In gaming, will overclocking the RAM make any difference at all? Will you actually see increased frame rates from overclocking RAM? How about load times? Will those be better?

kharma45

Hey guys, just about to pull the trigger on buying this card , but one thing is putting me off and that's the anti aliasing . ATI cards don't do SGSSAA and it's a real negative for me, as well as the use of nvidia inspector etc.

Does anyone know if there's any alternatives AA-wise?

Thanks!

Seems an awful lot for a 7970 with no games when there is something like this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-181-MS or this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-097-GI

MSI is only 30MHz lower and boosts higher. Whilst the ASUS is a very, very good card I'd rather be £50 better off but that's just me.

Edit - OCUK do the free games with the ASUS for £20 over the eBay one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-293-AS

Should this ram by any faster than cheaper ram?

Memory Corsair 16GB Kit (4x4GB), PC-17000 (2133MHz) DDR3, Dominator GT with XMP, 9-11-10-27, Dual / Quad Channel Kit

scogoth

Should this ram by any faster than cheaper ram?

Memory Corsair 16GB Kit (4x4GB), PC-17000 (2133MHz) DDR3, Dominator GT with XMP, 9-11-10-27, Dual / Quad Channel Kit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096
This is what you need

Hmm, if it makes no difference, then what's the point of overclocking RAM? Is there a point to it?

If you are BLCK overclocking your CPU then your RAM needs to be able to overclock. Most people don't overclock there RAM any more because the difference between 1333 7-7-7-24 and 2133 9-11-10-27 is near nil. Maybe .5%-1% faster in all normal usage.

kharma45

tumblr_lqusfh9rBo1qc8l0f.gif

Listen to this man.

Cheap(ish), low profile and OCs very well.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
With Nvidia all you need to do is use Nvidia's supersampling. Never done it, but it looks easier than doing it on my AMD card (forcing a higher res) and that was pretty easy.

Remember to add regular AA (if you can). TF2 with 8xAA and 1440p on a 1080p screen looked really smooth and really fitted the clean, comic book style art.

sweet. thanks.
about to replay episode2 for the first time in 5 years and i dont want to see ANY jaggies, i want to render like a 400 megapixel image and shrink it down. i want like, pixar levels of image quality.

Seems an awful lot for a 7970 with no games when there is something like this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-181-MS or this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-097-GI

MSI is only 30MHz lower and boosts higher. Whilst the ASUS is a very, very good card I'd rather be £50 better off but that's just me.

Edit - OCUK do the free games with the ASUS for £20 over the eBay one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-293-AS

I've got all of those games, except Warfighter and I don't much care for getting that tbh.

scogoth

sweet. thanks.
about to replay episode2 for the first time in 5 years and i dont want to see ANY jaggies, i want to render like a 400 megapixel image and shrink it down. i want like, pixar levels of image quality.

Challenge accepted I will now re download Episode 2

kharma45

I've got all of those games, except Warfighter and I don't much care for getting that tbh.

You could always sell the codes and get another £30 or so.

From looking around I'd probably get the Lightning myself with the free games which could take it down to around £350 or so all being well.

MSI also has a better RMA service for the UK over ASUS too for what it's worth, they're typically 10-25 days against 30-60 days for ASUS.

Never knew Samsung made RAM. Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to the Samsung RAM that everyone's raving about? I'm currently using Kingston HyperX Ram Triple Channel 1600 mhz RAM.

Got my new AOC i2535 23" monitor! And when the screen is black, I noticed a large white area in the bottom left like when you're placing pressure on the screen, but it is always there. I don't notice it at all when gaming, surfing, whatever. Still though, this monitor is brand new. Should I return?

kharma45

Never knew Samsung made RAM. Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to the Samsung RAM that everyone's raving about? I'm currently using Kingston HyperX Ram Triple Channel 1600 mhz RAM.

Is that for an i7 from two gens ago? You're best off sticking with what you have as they're designed to run bset with triple channel whereas the Samsung stuff is dual.

DTKT

Got my new AOC i2535 23" monitor! And when the screen is black, I noticed a large white area in the bottom left like when you're placing pressure on the screen, but it is always there. I don't notice it at all when gaming, surfing, whatever. Still though, this monitor is brand new. Should I return?

Might be backlight bleeding. Annoying, but not much you can do about that.

Hi all,

I got my rig to post so I am finishing up some cable management in the prodigy before sealing up the case. A cable or two is touching the GPU pcb, is this an issue?

While I mostly knew what I was doing, I'm glad I asked a few questions in this thread. I got all my parts two days ago and put it together in a few hours (that includes installing Windows 8 CP because I lost my Windows 7 install disk, (!) then buying Windows 8 Pro).

Here's my rig. Only the top four items were bought this week. Everything else I bought within two years ago and is just being recycled from my old rig.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard

Case: NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

GPU: PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

External HDD: Western Digital Elements 1TB Desktop External Hard Drive

I know the 6850 is a little old, but I was not planning on spending the money on a new GPU just yet. I am looking into a 7850, but by the time I get the extra money for it, there might be a better mid-range card for the same price.

PS: it feels great to be able to post from my computer again! My old rig died in September, so it's been a while! Tablets and phones just don't cut it.

kharma45

While I mostly knew what I was doing, I'm glad I asked a few questions in this thread. I got all my parts two days ago and put it together in a few hours (that includes installing Windows 8 CP because I lost my Windows 7 install disk, (!) then buying Windows 8 Pro).

Here's my rig. Only the top four items were bought this week. Everything else I bought within two years ago and is just being recycled from my old rig.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard

Case: NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

GPU: PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

External HDD: Western Digital Elements 1TB Desktop External Hard Drive

I know the 6850 is a little old, but I was not planning on spending the money on a new GPU just yet. I am looking into a 7850, but by the time I get the extra money for it, there might be a better mid-range card for the same price.

PS: it feels great to be able to post from my computer again! My old rig died in September, so it's been a while! Tablets and phones just don't cut it.

For the same price no, but there will be new cards within the next 6 months.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Challenge accepted I will now re download Episode 2

duuuuuude, its fuckin sweeeeeeeeet
episode2 is the coolest game ever. holy shit. i just finished the turret battle where with all the vorts. oh man, the and the npcs are so funny. it looks stunning too.

Right, I'm planning starting to order stuff this week. I wouldn't mind getting a GAF 'seal of approval before I start spending money. This is what I'm going with:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX2
Memory: Samsung Green 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
SSD: Sandisk 128GB SSD
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two
PSU: XFX 550W 80 PLU Bronze
Optical drive: LG GH24NS90

I plan on picking up a 1TB HDD some time after, but I am slightly unsure about the adequacy of the PSU. Is 550W enough?

Generally though, does this seem like a build be okay?

kharma45

Right, I'm planning starting to order stuff this week. I wouldn't mind getting a GAF 'seal of approval before I start spending money. This is what I'm going with:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX2
Memory: Samsung Green 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
SSD: Sandisk 128GB SSD
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two
PSU: XFX 550W 80 PLU Bronze
Optical drive: LG GH24NS90

I plan on picking up a 1TB HDD some time after, but I am slightly unsure about the adequacy of the PSU. Is 550W enough?

Generally though, does this seem like a build be okay?

550w is plenty, if you're not sure use this as a rough guide

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I got 325w for it incl. that 1TB drive before any overclocking. You could stick in a 7970 and it'd still be enough power.

What price is your 7870?

Ok, I clicked on the complete order button.

ADATA XPG SX900 256GB SSD
SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 3GB
ADATA CH11 500GB USB 3.0 Black External Hard Drive

kharma45

Demy

Before I buy this build I have one question.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w6kH

I was going over the parts to see if I could get the price closer to $350. I saw a micro ATX version of the motherboard I had chosen that was cheaper.
Here is the original one I was looking at:
ASRock H77 Pro-4/MVP

Here is the micro ATX one:
ASRock H77

Specs wise unless I'm missing something they seem to be the exact same board. Is there any reason to go with the ATX model instead of the Micro ATX one?

scogoth

Before I buy this build I have one question.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w6kH

I was going over the parts to see if I could get the price closer to $350. I saw a micro ATX version of the motherboard I had chosen that was cheaper.
Here is the original one I was looking at:
ASRock H77 Pro-4/MVP

Here is the micro ATX one:
ASRock H77

Specs wise unless I'm missing something they seem to be the exact same board. Is there any reason to go with the ATX model instead of the Micro ATX one?

ATX will have more PCIe slots for future expansion thats about it

Ah the one on Amazon, that is a good deal. A pity they don't do the free games.

£10 more gets you Far Cry 3 if you're interested? http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...phicscards/amdhd7870series/gv-r787oc-2gd.html

7950 prices seem to have went up again which is a shame :\ where are you getting the one for £210?

Far Cry 3 for £10 seems pretty good. I'll have to look into that if I go with the 7870.

7950 for £208.99. http://www.ebuyer.com/413191-sapphi...ium=products&gclid=CKyL5rv41LQCFW_KtAodjX4Ahw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom