• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
OCing a 2500k should be super easy. Go into your bios, look at the shit for the cpu, increase the multiplier to 4.1/4.2 and you're done. If you want to go higher increase the voltage by like what, .05v at a time?

Someone will have to correct me on that, my mobo does .025v steps.

mkenyon

Banned
OCing a 2500k should be super easy. Go into your bios, look at the shit for the cpu, increase the multiplier to 4.1/4.2 and you're done. If you want to go higher increase the voltage by like what, .05v at a time?

Someone will have to correct me on that, my mobo does .025v steps.
You probably mean .0025v, right? Going from 1.45 to 1.475 is a big jump, for example.

scogoth

God damn UPS. Guy shows up, has no paper work for brokage payment, cant accept payment........ Build will have to start tomorrow =(

ghibli99

My CM cherry red arrives today. Maybe my memory too, but I'm doubtful. Hopefully the kb isn't too loud... for my wife's sake. :)

God damn UPS. Guy shows up, has no paper work for brokage payment, cant accept payment........ Build will have to start tomorrow =(
Bummer. :( Times like those are when 1 day waits can be a killer!

Straxus

First off.

Thank you, Hazaro for this great PC build guide. I built my rig following suggestions from 2012 [Part 1]. Googling and studying about the new CPUs, GPUs, and how far PC tech has come.

***My first PC (that I built w/help from my brother) was an Asus A7v-333, Athlon XP 1600+, & an ATi Radeon 128MB LE.***

Thank you to everyone here that gave suggestions, showed off personal builds, and helped others (& me) find our direction.

Now to my issue that I've run into.

CRYSIS: I recently installed it, and everytime I try to run it, it freezes during opening scene that says "SEVERAL DAYS LATER".

GTA IV: (Steam v.1.0.7.0) Stops and crashes either during intro where you here whats his name plowing (getting plowed by) some chick. I started skiping that scene, and same thing happens when the conversation gets to "Fucking terrorists!".

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
i5 3570K 3.4Ghz (not sure how to OC yet)
eVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (4GBx2)
Samsung 830 64GB
WD Black 2TB
Corsair Pro Series HX650 650W

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingston-Hy...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item2a23145011

how does that look to you gaf?

might risk importing an SSD due to the small form factor. Could very well pass customs and whatnot without having to pay fees. That price is kinda low enough to risk it and storage space should at least sustain an OS drive..
I think you can get other SSDs for that price from Newegg with free shipping.
http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-121.
You can also get that same SSD from Newegg or other Kingston SSDs too, I believe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It'll go up even higher with higher clocks. UE3 is one of the most CPU-bound engines out there.

XSJv2.png

why are some games CPU limited like that? Are they using the CPU for vertex transformations or something? Don't modern GPUs have the capability to do that faster?

bro1

Banned
First off.

Thank you, Hazaro for this great PC build guide. I built my rig following suggestions from 2012 [Part 1]. Googling and studying about the new CPUs, GPUs, and how far PC tech has come.

***My first PC (that I built w/help from my brother) was an Asus A7v-333, Athlon XP 1600+, & an ATi Radeon 128MB LE.***

Thank you to everyone here that gave suggestions, showed off personal builds, and helped others (& me) find our direction.

Now to my issue that I've run into.

CRYSIS: I recently installed it, and everytime I try to run it, it freezes during opening scene that says "SEVERAL DAYS LATER".

GTA IV: (Steam v.1.0.7.0) Stops and crashes either during intro where you here whats his name plowing (getting plowed by) some chick. I started skiping that scene, and same thing happens when the conversation gets to "Fucking terrorists!".

ASUS P8Z77-V LK
i5 3450K 3.4Ghz (not sure how to OC yet)
eVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (4GBx2)
Samsung 830 64GB
WD Black 2TB

Could be driver related. Can you give details on your psu?

DTKT

Just got my CM Storm Quickfire with browns. It feels like I'm typing on a CLOUD.

Put that on the back of a box. I'm now a mechanical keyboard guy.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, with my new rig coming soon... what games should I get to test it?

I am thinking Darksiders 2, Dishonored... and don't know what else. Come GAF, I wanna test my future PC's power!! :p!

ghibli99

OK, did some OC tests tonight. As mentioned earlier, I have an i7-920 + CM Hyper 212 Plus w/ 2 fans on it inside a HAF 932 case.

I bumped up to 4GHz, and under load, looks like my temps are a little on the high side (68-74). I've read that anything below 80 is "OK", but it still seems high to me. Not like I game 24-7, though, so I might be good. It's funny noting that with the stock Intel cooler, even at 3.2GHz, I was over 80 within a couple minutes of starting the test.

That being said, for OC'ing this up to 4GHz, are there other coolers you guys would recommend? I tend to be a better safe than sorry kind of guy, so I may drop things back to 3.6GHz. Thanks again.

MrBig

I am thinking Darksiders 2, Dishonored... and don't know what else. Come GAF, I wanna test my future PC's power!! :p!

Neither of those will really tax any modern system. I've got a Planetside 2 beta key you could have, would certainly put that hardware to work.

scogoth

OK, did some OC tests tonight. As mentioned earlier, I have an i7-920 + CM Hyper 212 Plus w/ 2 fans on it inside a HAF 932 case (3 fans in, 1 fan out).

I bumped up to 4GHz, and under load, looks like my temps are a little on the high side (68-74). I've read that anything below 80 is "OK", but it still seems high to me. Not like I game 24-7, though, so I might be good. It's funny noting that with the stock Intel cooler, even at 3.2GHz, I was over 80 within a couple minutes of starting the test.

That being said, for OC'ing this up to 4GHz, are there other coolers you guys would recommend? I tend to be a better safe than sorry kind of guy, so I may drop things back to 3.6GHz. Thanks again.

Actually the Nehalem CPUs can run up to 100C, not that you would want to but 80C is definitely fine. What are your BLCK, multiplier and vcore settings and anything else you set in bios. My 930 and my friends 920 don't like 4.0Ghz, very unstable for some reason. Also 22x multiplier and 20x don't work well for me. Try getting it just above or below 4.0 and put vcore at 1.35 then keep lowering it till its as low as possible. I run mine at 20x 199Mhz BLCK at 1.3125V with droop enabled. I've gotten it up to 4.322 at 1.375v before, just have to keep pushing.

ss_lemonade

Those won't even come close to taxing your rig. You could try witcher 2 I guess, or the Crysis games

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Neither of those will really tax any modern system. I've got a Planetside 2 beta key you could have, would certainly put that hardware to work.

Holy hell I'd love one haha.

So I now have an overpowered build... damn :p. Well, Ill enjoy my games haha. Any comfy couch alternatives for K+M only games? I mean, I'd play things like Darksiders 2 with the 360 controller, but for other games... how would I work and enjoy the "couch"? I already have a wireless Logitech set.

ghibli99

Actually the Nehalem CPUs can run up to 100C, not that you would want to but 80C is definitely fine. What are your BLCK, multiplier and vcore settings and anything else you set in bios. My 930 and my friends 920 don't like 4.0Ghz, very unstable for some reason. Also 22x multiplier and 20x don't work well for me. Try getting it just above or below 4.0 and put vcore at 1.35 then keep lowering it till its as low as possible. I run mine at 20x 199Mhz BLCK at 1.3125V with droop enabled. I've gotten it up to 4.322 at 1.375v before, just have to keep pushing.
BCLK 190, Multiplier 21, Vcore 1.25... I used Clunk's guide as a base. Been running for several hours now with stress tests and such, and 75 seems to be the max temp on core 0 with the others steadily lower to about 68 under load.

Ran 3DMark 11 again as well, and got some better results:

SCORE: P9092 3DMarks
GRAPHICS SCORE: 9540
PHYSICS SCORE: 8393
COMBINED SCORE: 7410
http://i.imgur.com/Jqh1E.jpg

Looking at your settings above, it looks like I have more room to play with with the GTX 670, but one step at a time. Hoping for good stability at 4GHz through the weekend. We'll see how it goes. :)

AB12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingston-Hy...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item2a23145011

how does that look to you gaf?

might risk importing an SSD due to the small form factor. Could very well pass customs and whatnot without having to pay fees. That price is kinda low enough to risk it and storage space should at least sustain an OS drive..

You can get the same drive from Amazon for $60, saw it on slickdeals.

Edit
I need international shipping. Otherwise I would obviously go to other places before ebay, figured "importing" would give it away :p

is this kingston bad tho?
Just saw this. I don't know about Amazon international shipping, but could give it a try.

So I have my system mostly complete and I'd like to thank everyone here who helped me out with tips and answered general questions.

but... OH MAN!

The hard cold truth about what's required to get a perfect 7.9 Windows Experience Index is a tough one to swollow. So my build netted me easily 7.9 accross the board EXCEPT for the CPU at 7.8 which is a Core i7 SandyE 3930K @ 3.2 GHz stock. I foolishly thought to myself "I'll just overclock it!" It was easy enough to get it to 4 GHz on Noctua NH-D14 with plenty of breathing room. I re-ran the test and it was still at 7.8. I new I was never going to run the system past 4 and I wasn't even planning on running it past 3.2 but to just see a perfect 7.9, I thought it would be nice to read up a little on what was requried.

A single processor motherboard running my class of CPU (6-core) would require a 5.6 GHz clock. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT! 7.8 is a much nicer number anyways
;_;

mrklaw

MrArseFace
slightly tangential post perhaps, but can anyone recommend a 22-24" 1080p monitor that has speakers and accepts audio over HDMI? Or am I looking at a small TV/monitor hybrid thing like the samsung T22 (had one, didn't really like it)

I need a monitor for my home office, just for basic work stuff really, but I'd like to stick my apple TV in the back of it for backup duty with media streaming

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I have my system mostly complete and I'd like to thank everyone here who helped me out with tips and answered general questions.

but... OH MAN!

The hard cold truth about what's required to get a perfect 7.9 Windows Experience Index is a tough one to swollow. So my build netted me easily 7.9 accross the board EXCEPT for the CPU at 7.8 which is a Core i7 SandyE 3930K @ 3.2 GHz stock. I foolishly thought to myself "I'll just overclock it!" It was easy enough to get it to 4 GHz on Noctua NH-D14 with plenty of breathing room. I re-ran the test and it was still at 7.8. I new I was never going to run the system past 4 and I wasn't even planning on running it past 3.2 but to just see a perfect 7.9, I thought it would be nice to read up a little on what was requried.

A single processor motherboard running my class of CPU (6-core) would require a 5.6 GHz clock. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT! 7.8 is a much nicer number anyways
;_;

so.. the windows experience score targets scale up based on the hardware you have? So theoretically could someone score higher than you with a dual core setup?

Stubo

but... OH MAN!

;_;

so.. the windows experience score targets scale up based on the hardware you have? So theoretically could someone score higher than you with a dual core setup?
Aren't the scores assigned to the stock parts? As far as I know overclocking won't change the values.

They're far from an important measure of performance anyway, your build is sounding good!

deleted

I'm currently building a new PC (my own steam/media-box) with a focus on a small and (relatively) silent one.

Right now, I'll probably buy this case, because it has its front cooler hidden and looks really good:
SilverStone Sugo SG06

Because of the case, I have to pay special attention at the length of the cards:

These two seem to fit and look alright for my price category (has to be Nvidia):
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC or ASUS GTX660-DC2O

I've read a bit about the ASUS one and it seems to be really quiet, but I can't find any information about the Gigabyte 660.

Rest of the stuff I have in mind:
G.Skill 2x4 GB
i5-2450P, 4x 3.20GHz (its not Ivy, but I can get a good used one for 70 EUR)
ASRock H67M-ITX/HT, H67 (B3)
Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB

That's more than enough to play everything on the market right now and possibly even UE4 games on 720p (wishful thinking). What about Dolphin? The CPU is to slow for that, right?

What do you think GAF? I know I could get faster stuff for my money with a bigger case, but thats not my goal. What graphics-card would you recommend? Any experience with the ones I have in mind?

hypernima

Banned
Alright guys I need a bit of help, I think it might have been Hazaro who told me about this but I have the student Win7 Pro upgrade of windows.

So to install it do you install it once without putting in the Key then Install it again putting in the key?

beje

Banned
If anybody is interested, the i5 3570K is just 150 pounds in Amazon UK. I took advantage of the offer and got this: i5 3570K + 2x4GB G.Skill Ares + Asrock Z77 Pro3, can't wait!

Shambles

but... OH MAN!

;_;

Just don't even look at the WEI. It has absolutely zero meaning whatsoever. Pretend it doesn't even exist, that's how useless it is. Wait, what was I talking about? I forgot, I must have been talking about about something so pointless that it's existence was erased from all of time-space.

ghibli99

I got my CM Quick Fire Pro w/ cherry reds yesterday, and man, what a difference. I'd been using an MS ergonomic for many years (the black one), which is one of the most comfortable typing keyboards ever, but for gaming, the squishy feel and split design wasn't optimal. The quick 'snap' of these keys - and their relatively quiet nature - makes this a great all-rounder.

Exuro

OK, did some OC tests tonight. As mentioned earlier, I have an i7-920 + CM Hyper 212 Plus w/ 2 fans on it inside a HAF 932 case.

I have the same CPU/ cooler and am wondering what your idle/basic use temps are. I haven't tried over locking my CPU yet so I don't know how much hotter it'll run for daily use stuff. Thanks.

scogoth

What're you doing with your old Noctua?

Boxing it. I would offer it to you but one of the mounting screws broke when I installed it, tried to get a replacement but was never able to find the secufirm kit in stock anywhere. I used a screw that worked well enough but I wouldnt want to give it to someone broken, unless you have an AMD chip, the AMD mount is unused.

kennah

Boxing it. I would offer it to you but one of the mounting screws broke when I installed it, tried to get a replacement but was never able to find the secufirm kit in stock anywhere. I used a screw that worked well enough but I wouldnt want to give it to someone broken, unless you have an AMD chip, the AMD mount is unused.

I'm not too proud to take something that's broken :) Let me know, I'm interested, that's the exact one I was going to pick up for myself on my later build.

Smokey

goodbye 690, shipped it off to its new home today. you treated me well.

back to lightning extreme 580 sli until the next phase of project Beast

ghibli99

I have the same CPU/ cooler and am wondering what your idle/basic use temps are. I haven't tried over locking my CPU yet so I don't know how much hotter it'll run for daily use stuff. Thanks.
Idle temps (and it's usually about 27C in our office... yes, a little warm) are about 44-47C.

Just don't even look at the WEI. It has absolutely zero meaning whatsoever. Pretend it doesn't even exist, that's how useless it is. Wait, what was I talking about? I forgot, I must have been talking about about something so pointless that it's existence was erased from all of time-space.

I know. :( I think my issue is mainly an OCD thing. That lone 7.8 is like the biggest troll a computer has ever given me :(

As far as I've hard, they only change with OS. but 7.9 has been the highest possible score as of Win7 SP1.

Aren't the scores assigned to the stock parts? As far as I know overclocking won't change the values.

They're far from an important measure of performance anyway, your build is sounding good!

I never heard of that but I saw some boards dedicated to people posting ther screens and the rigs they used to get them and they were full of the same speculation when beast machines failed to hit the mark. It seemed only people with multi-processor setup or who were overclocked passed 5.6 GHz were getting 7.9. It is the internet and something designed to only stroke one's ego could push people to lie.

Leonsito

I'm thinking of updating my current HDD setup, I think I'm going to get a 128GB SSD and a 2TB WD.

For years I had C: for Windows, D: for Software, E: for personal data, F: for Downloads, G: for Games, and H: for temporal data, pagefile file and thinks like that, I want to simplify all of this.

I was thinking about the SSD for Windows and Software, and splitting the 2TB one in two partitions, one for data and the other for backup, or maybe getting an external HDD for backup...

How do you guys have everything set up?

gokieks

I'm thinking of updating my current HDD setup, I think I'm going to get a 128GB SSD and a 2TB WD.

For years I had C: for Windows, D: for Software, E: for personal data, F: for Downloads, G: for Games, and H: for temporal data, pagefile file and thinks like that, I want to simplify all of this.

I was thinking about the SSD for Windows and Software, and splitting the 2TB one in two partitions, one for data and the other for backup, or maybe getting an external HDD for backup...

Having a separate partition on the same hard drive for backup accomplishes next to nothing - not sure why you would be going that route.

Personally I use a SSD for OS and programs, a fast 1TB HDD (Samsung F3) for games, and an older 1.5TB HDD (Seagate 7200.11) for data. Media files and backup data is stored on my ZFS/RAID-Z fileserver with 8TB of space.

LQX

SSD = OS and everything needing to be installed like choice games and other menial programs.

1 and 2TB HDD = Music, movies, pictures, files etc. Basically anything that does not directly need to be installed.

I think everything having to be installed should only be on the SSD. Will be moving to external storage soon if any Black Friday deals pop up and eliminate one or both of my internal HDDs. Also, I agree with gokieks on partitions. No more for me in the future. All they do is add time to transferring files from one place to another.

Leonsito

Having a separate partition on the same hard drive for backup accomplishes next to nothing - not sure why you would be going that route.

Personally I use a SSD for OS and programs, a fast 1TB HDD (Samsung F3) for games, and an older 1.5TB HDD (Seagate 7200.11) for data. Media files and backup data is stored on my ZFS/RAID-Z fileserver with 8TB of space.

Yeah, after I posted that I realised is a bit stupid have a backup partition on the same physichal disk...

SSD = OS and everything needing to be installed like choice games and other menial programs.

1 and 2TB HDD = Music, movies, pictures, files etc. Basically anything that does not directly need to be installed.

I think everything having to be installed should only be on the SSD. Will be moving to external storage soon if any Black Friday deals pop up and eliminate one or both of my internal HDDs. Also, I agree with gokieks on partitions. No more for me in the future. All they do is add time to transferring files from one place to another.

I was thinking about this SSD: http://www.amazon.es/dp/B004W2JKZI/

I know the M4 is a good choice, I hope 128GB is good enough for Win7 + soft. For the moment I will install Steam and all the games to a normal HDD: http://www.amazon.es/dp/B004VFJ9MK/

It's not very fast, but it's a great price, there is a 7200rpm a bit cheaper, but it's only 1TB and 32MB cache, I don't know if it's worth losing half of the space for a bit more speed.

clashfan

I have decided not to build my own PC. I think I will go with Maingear or Origin PC. Has anyone had any experiences with dealing with either companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom