• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Im guessing that the reason why the clocks are always at max is because I disabled all those power/voltage things like C-state and whatnot?

should I worry about it or would it be fine to just use it like this? it looks like it's constantly throttling at 4.5ghz even though the idle CPU load is always at around 10% (wich is still higher than the 1-2 percent I got before OCing)

idle temps also went up from those 30-something numbers to 40-46, but wont go above 65 during max load

the reason why I disable C-states is because it produces an awful high pitched whine. AFAIK those settings are about the voltage fluctuating depending on use instead of being constant, right?

Alright! Compiled my first build by loosely following the Hazaro's PC builds from the OP. Please, help me a little here because I'm in the dark with all this PC mumbo jumbo

PCU: 3570K
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro3
RAM: 2x Corsair 4GB DDR3-1600 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R)
GPU: GV-N670OC-2GD
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2
SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD1
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred
Optical drive: ASUS DRW-24B5ST

Not really looking to build a monster here nor will I overclock in the future. I am going to hook up a dual monitor set-up with to this.

Any tips and tricks to cut down the costs a little or are there any problems with this build? Cheers

mkenyon

Banned
It's speed stepping that dynamically adjusts clock speed. I always disable it.
Alright! Compiled my first build by loosely following the Hazaro's PC builds from the OP. Please, help me a little here because I'm in the dark with all this PC mumbo jumbo

Not really looking to build a monster here nor will I overclock in the future. I am going to hook up a dual monitor set-up with to this.

Any tips and tricks to cut down the costs a little or are there any problems with this build? Cheers
Yes you will. 33% free performance is pretty sweet. Especially when it takes 10-30 mins and adjusting two values in BIOS :p

Swap the case with a CM 690II or an Arc Midi if you can snipe a deal on one.

Similarly, the SSD should go on sale regularly for $70-80.

Drop the GPU down to a 7950 or 660Ti if you need an NVIDIA specific feature (i.e. PhysX or Cuda development stuff).

Swap the PSU for an Antec BP550.

scogoth

Please mister postman UPS man, look and see
If there's a letter package in your bag for me
Why's it takin' such a long time
Oh Yeah

beje

Banned

PCU: 3570K
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro3
RAM: 2x Corsair 4GB DDR3-1600 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R)
GPU: GV-N670OC-2GD
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2
SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD1
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred
Optical drive: ASUS DRW-24B5ST

If you're not going to overclock, step back to a i5 3450.

Edit: derp, beaten.

Hey PC GAF, I need help.

I am trying to help a friend shop for a new GPU for his system. He has a i5-3550 and 8GB's of RAM, and is still using onboard Intel video (HD 2500 graphics or something).

He has exactly $300 dollars Canadian to spend on a new graphics card. But with Provincial HST and shipping charges I would say that he really has about $230-250 dollars to spend. %14 sales tax plus 10-12 dollars shipping on a 250 dollar GPU would be about $300 total.

So I was wondering... what would be the best 250 dollar card he could get? I suggested to him an AMD 7870 (this one isn't bad), which I think would fit the build. But he wants Nvidia. The 660ti is a bit over his price range, so that is out. the 660 (non ti) is quite a bit cheaper, but I do think the 7870 is the better option of those two. The 560ti would also be in his price range, but I don't know.

What do you guys suggest?

mkenyon

Banned
7850 is even a better card than the 660 (non-Ti). Tell him to get over his silly brand loyalty and buy the 7870 or 7850. If he won't relent, it's not too big of a difference with the 660. It'll be a bit limited in the VRAM arena eventually, giving it a bit of a shorter lifespan. If he's not the type that is big on ultimate performance, it'll be a decent fit.

Whoops totally forgot to check this thread back, sorry for the late upcoming replies.
What are your settings on the 3820 to get it to 5.0? TBH, I'm somewhat surprised the H100 can handle those kinds of volts.

I'm sure Sk3tch has some pointers on getting quad-SLI to work in a lot of games if you need any help with that. Also make sure you have the supplementary PCI-E power cable plugged in. Can't see it there, but I think it's obstructed.
125 x 40 @ 1.55v, sadly it wasn't stable, prime 95 failed after 8 hours, temps were high 70s under load. Went back to 4.5 for the time being @ 1.45v.

Thanks for the advice, and yeah it's plugged in.
How do you guys manage to make your computers look so clean, I have cables everywhere.
I had help from a guy who built hundreds of desktops, his wire management is crazy good, even in the hidden back panel.
KuGsj.gif

Great system buy why skimp on the SSD's?
I didn't. If you mean storage space, it's actually almost overkill for my usage.

mkenyon

Banned
Whoops totally forgot to check this thread back, sorry for the late upcoming replies.

125 x 40 @ 1.55v, sadly it wasn't stable, prime 95 failed after 8 hours, temps were high 70s under load. Went back to 4.5 for the time being @ 1.45v.

Thanks for the advice, and yeah it's plugged in.
Good lawd. Surprised you didn't fry it!

I might be misremembering, but did you previously have an X900?
And right after I post that christmas comes
early!
Will be on gtalk/mumble/skype for most of the evening if you have any questions or just need some prayers.

golem

Im guessing that the reason why the clocks are always at max is because I disabled all those power/voltage things like C-state and whatnot?

should I worry about it or would it be fine to just use it like this? it looks like it's constantly throttling at 4.5ghz even though the idle CPU load is always at around 10% (wich is still higher than the 1-2 percent I got before OCing)

idle temps also went up from those 30-something numbers to 40-46, but wont go above 65 during max load

the reason why I disable C-states is because it produces an awful high pitched whine. AFAIK those settings are about the voltage fluctuating depending on use instead of being constant, right?

Not sure if that affects the throttling, one thing that will affect it is your Windows power saving settings though. If at High Performance or whatever, it will max the clockspeed all the time. Personally I like having the throttling on for lower volts/temps.

7850 is even a better card than the 660 (non-Ti). Tell him to get over his silly brand loyalty and buy the 7870 or 7850. If he won't relent, it's not too big of a difference with the 660. It'll be a bit limited in the VRAM arena eventually, giving it a bit of a shorter lifespan. If he's not the type that is big on ultimate performance, it'll be a decent fit.

Yeah, that's what I keep saying. The HD 7870 that I linked to is on sale for $229.00 (CND) which I think is a good bargain at that price. And as you said, most of average 660ti's have 192-bit RAM bandwidth, which cripples them a bit. While the 7870 has a 256-bit RAM bandwidth, which makes it better in that respect, and is 50-60 dollars cheaper in Canadian price too.

Another question I have is, how does the GTX 570 compare to these other models? There are a few 570's in the 250 dollar price range, but most only have 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 RAM. The models with 2560MB's of ram are generally in the 300-350 dollar price range.

I am trying to get a comparison of the cards that are in the 250 dollar price range here.

n0n44m

And right after I post that christmas comes early!

I see Aquacomputer is finally sleeving all of their cables :) push-pull on the 240 ? or extra casefans?

---------------------------------------------------------------

also the trick to quick but functional/sorta-decent-looking wire management is to have a complete clusterfuck of wires on the backside of your case :)

bit of tape, couple of tie-wraps ... just make sure the side panel still fits :p

Salsa

What's the major difference between the 212 evo and the 212+?

better fan, 2011 sockets, different (I guess better) fin spacing, some other stuff

it's basically just a newer version of the +, performance-wise i'd say its almost unnoticeable

the EVO was just easier to find in stock for me

edit: I guess it's also a bit flashier with the branding, lol

7cecfef0_CoolerMaster_Hyper_212_Heatsinks_1.jpeg

Tess3ract

Banned
Okay, I'm not worried then. I fucking love my 212+. Plus it'll work on my new cpu too :)

Finally I can ditch this phenom II x3 720. Time to join the big boys.

bro1

Banned
There's still contact between the motherboard and screws, and the screws and the case. It's not really any different in that aspect, just a different structure.
Line up the mobo using the center post and then screw it into the mobo tray holes?

Salsa

I think small FFTs puts more stress on the CPU, compared to blend which is a more balanced test option. Small FFT setting also heats up my cpu more

will try later. Also tbh I havent run blend for over 10 minutes or so, but is it worth it to do the 8-12 hours test? does it get THAT much hotter with the possilibity to become unstable when I get below 65 after a bit?

simtmb

Just wondering what temps are expected, both idle and full load (IntelBurnTest etc) on a fully stock 3770k, as my new build idles at around 30, but it hit 80 max during IBT. The load temps seem a tad high for me. While gaming, it doesn't even pass the mid 40's though.

Salsa

dat white case. So jelly man. I actually decided to wait on getting a new one till someone imports a white version of ANYTHING

Alienups

New PC has been ready for two days but they still haven't shipped it out. Not getting your toys fast enough still hurts as much as when i was a kid.

One thing that blows me away about my new PC is how cool and quiet it is.

Last PC sounded like a jet engine and I was worried my desk would catch on fire. This PC is the coldest thing in the house and is about as loud as a mosquito's whisper.

Salsa

Last PC sounded like a jet engine and I was worried my desk would catch on fire. This PC is the coldest thing in the house and is about as loud as a mosquito's whisper.

wish I could say this but my mobo is kinda hot, internet tells me this is the case with the LE boards.

I am quite happy though with how quiet the EVO turned out to be. Can barely hear the fan at 100% load

Veal

So how much cooling performance can I expect to lose by using the inline resistors that come with the SP 120's? Will it be dramatically hotter or just a few degrees warmer? Those fans are the loudest thing in case by far (not that they're terribly loud, they're just really audible.)

mkenyon

Banned
do we know if there will be new cpu/gpu out by next year?
New GPUs are always being released. Maybe by Feb-March of next year.

Haswell expected in March. No word yet on whether it's going to be a big jump or not. Word is that it will be a better overclocker than Ivy, as the IMC (internal memory controller) will actually be decent. This also means the ability to OC the non 'K' chips, as you can do now with the 3820. No word on how big of a jump in performance it will be though. All the talk is about lower power and everything they're able to cram on the die in a low power package in the range of 5-10W for mobile.

It's a good time to buy now if your parts are straggling behind.
So how much cooling performance can I expect to lose by using the inline resistors that come with the SP 120's? Will it be dramatically hotter or just a few degrees warmer? Those fans are the loudest thing in case by far (not that they're terribly loud, they're just really audible.)
Didn't get the quiet editions? Are these on a rad/heatsink? Short answer, it depends on your specific setup. I think their performance is fairly linear though.
One thing that blows me away about my new PC is how cool and quiet it is.

Thank the push of mobile, as well as an increased focused on 120mm fan technology. The things that these fans can do nowadays at 800-1200RPM is ridiculous.

hmm should i build a pc by the end of year or wait for next year stuffs?

That depends... is your current PC still serviceable? Will it tide you over until spring 2013 when most of the new Intel CPU's get released?

The waiting game is such a perpetual thing. Unless you're waiting for something that you know will be available in a month or two down the road, there is not much reason to wait at all for building a new PC. A current Ivy Bridge CPU will suit you just fine, and probably still hold its value with its successor comes out next year. Most of the mid to higher end graphics cards are the same way. Next years iterations won't be quantum leaps over this years model. Unless you need the latest GPU's, it's best to always skip next years model, and upgrade every two years. I still know people who are using old 8800's and q6600 Intel Quad cores and are happy with them.

If you have the money to drop down, and feel like the prices are just right for you, then go for it now.

If your current PC is still good enough for you, then just wait.

Veal

Didn't get the quiet editions? Are these on a rad/heatsink? Short answer, it depends on your specific setup. I think their performance is fairly linear though.

Yeah i got the high performance versions. They're on an H80 in push-pull inside a Prodigy. I kinda wonder if the case has anything to with the perceived volume or the fans?

x3r0123

New GPUs are always being released. Maybe by Feb-March of next year.

Haswell expected in March. No word yet on whether it's going to be a big jump or not. Word is that it will be a better overclocker than Ivy, as the IMC (internal memory controller) will actually be decent. This also means the ability to OC the non 'K' chips, as you can do now with the 3820. No word on how big of a jump in performance it will be though. All the talk is about lower power and everything they're able to cram on the die in a low power package in the range of 5-10W for mobile.

It's a good time to buy now if your parts are straggling behind.

nice, looks like i can afford to wait as new gpu will always bring prices down of older cards

That depends... is your current PC still serviceable? Will it tide you over until spring 2013 when most of the new Intel CPU's get released?

The waiting game is such a perpetual thing. Unless you're waiting for something that you know will be available in a month or two down the road, there is not much reason to wait at all for building a new PC. A current Ivy Bridge CPU will suit you just fine, and probably still hold its value with its successor comes out next year. Most of the mid to higher end graphics cards are the same way. Next years iterations won't be quantum leaps over this years model. Unless you need the latest GPU's, it's best to always skip next years model, and upgrade every two years. I still know people who are using old 8800's and q6600 Intel Quad cores and are happy with them.

If you have the money to drop down, and feel like the prices are just right for you, then go for it now.

If your current PC is still good enough for you, then just wait.

my pc is 3 years old and it doesnt have ssd. At that time, ssd were really out of my budget and now i can really see the difference between that and hdd. With the parts i used, i would say around 4-5years old? it currently has i5 750 and 550ti. Also, it used to have 4870 but it died on me after a year

sk3tch

nice, looks like i can afford to wait as new gpu will always bring prices down of older cards

Prices are already cut down pretty low just this week - GTX 680 Classified for $530 after rebate...dayuum...$100 off (and it's not just this card - it's across the entire line!). Wondering if that GTX 685 is imminent. Heh.

x3r0123

Prices are already cut down pretty low just this week - GTX 680 Classified for $530 after rebate...dayuum...$100 off (and it's not just this card - it's across the entire line!). Wondering if that GTX 685 is imminent. Heh.

well i cant justify the price for that. It's just isnt my style to go all out on the high end cards
660ti would probably be my limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom