• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is my i3-2100 hot all of a sudden?

I thought it was my motherboard's temp (labeled Core 0/1 on Speedfan) but nope. My cable management is perfectly fine.

I tried cleaning my PC. I even replugged an exhaust fan which got removed before. Somehow the temp is the same? I don't remember anything ever getting this hot. I might need to buy the Hyper 212.

These are idle temps.

TlTXY.jpg

ithorien

Yeah, after I posted that I realised is a bit stupid have a backup partition on the same physichal disk...

I was thinking about this SSD: http://www.amazon.es/dp/B004W2JKZI/

I know the M4 is a good choice, I hope 128GB is good enough for Win7 + soft. For the moment I will install Steam and all the games to a normal HDD: http://www.amazon.es/dp/B004VFJ9MK/

It's not very fast, but it's a great price, there is a 7200rpm a bit cheaper, but it's only 1TB and 32MB cache, I don't know if it's worth losing half of the space for a bit more speed.

Can do software/game installs to the HDD and just junction/steam move the stuff you're playing currently to the SSD. I did exactly that until I upgraded size. I still junction to my second SSD now for overflow.

FinKL

Yeah, after I posted that I realised is a bit stupid have a backup partition on the same physichal disk...

I don't think it was stupid. Especially back then before USB. In fact, I still do it but allocate it C:Windows+Software & D:Downloads/Drivers

Back then sometimes it was difficult to find drivers (LAN drivers specifically) so it was always smart to just save them to a separate partition so when you reformat they are all there. Today Windows does pretty much everything.

mkenyon

Banned
goodbye 690, shipped it off to its new home today. you treated me well.

back to lightning extreme 580 sli until the next phase of project Beast
Sent mine off today too! When I packaged it up, it was a bit of a sad occasion. Getting that card day one was one of the most exciting hardware purchases I've had.
I have decided not to build my own PC. I think I will go with Maingear or Origin PC. Has anyone had any experiences with dealing with either companies?
Expensive but good. I have a bit more attachment to Origin as some of my friends from PDXLAN make their custom cases.

Were you thinking small form factor or big computer? There are some things you will want to take into account if you look at the shift or the SFF from either, as well as the 'Shift' from Maingear because the orientation of the cases is rotated 90 degrees. If you want to know more, feel free to PM me.
Why is my i3-2100 hot all of a sudden?

I thought it was my motherboard's temp (labeled Core 0/1 on Speedfan) but nope. My cable management is perfectly fine.

I tried cleaning my PC. I even replugged an exhaust fan which got removed before. Somehow the temp is the same? I don't remember anything ever getting this hot. I might need to buy the Hyper 212.

These are idle temps.
What are load temps? Idle temps don't really matter.

longdi

Banned
Hey guys,

I just changed over to using HWInfo as my main monitoring software. Free, does not take up too much resources, does not interrupt your low power states and importantly, updated often to support the latest chips and sensors.

Compared to HWmonitor which updates like every 4-6 months, this blows it away.

Download here : http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

Use the portable zip if you dont wish to install it. Comes in a single executable now, very clean.

mkenyon

Banned
Well fuck......

http://www.ekwb.com/news/265/19/EVGA-680-FTW-also-to-get-a-FC-water-block/

So I just bought 2 universal blocks for nothing....

Also mkenyon for TIM application on GPUs is it best to spread it or is doing the pea/rice method like CPUs ok.
I *always* spread. The reason the pea/rice method is suggested is because people are bad at spreading. I have a very handy tool that came with my Phobya HeGrease that makes spreading a piece of cake.

*edit*

Today is a sad day. I found out that the LD Case is going to be around $550 with shipping. For $50 more, I could buy the V8. Looks like this guy is a pass. *sigh*

Exuro

I *always* spread. The reason the pea/rice method is suggested is because people are bad at spreading. I have a very handy tool that came with my Phobya HeGrease that makes spreading a piece of cake.
Yeah someone mentioned that I did it wrong by spreading instead of beading. Ended up with a mess and wasted the rest of my paste for the same exact temps. :(

mkenyon

Banned
I love my Shinobi XL anyway. I think I'll consign myself to actually get started on modding my V700X to house some watercooling parts for now.

Salsa

gave up on the SSD for now. Only way to get one "safe" (with less risk of it getting caught in customs) is to get a 60gb for 75 bucks.. yeah, I think it's a bit small. Not gonna join the SSD brigade for now it seems.

Heading out now to get a good ol WD Caviar Blue 500gb for the OS and probably to buy the hyper 212+ EVO

Does anyone know how to resolve a "buzzing" sound on my monitor? Seems to only come up when I'm playing certain games. Is it a refresh rate issue? Or maybe the DVI cable I'm using?

I have an Asus VE228H. Never had that problem on my old laptop using VGA.

bro1

Banned
Really dumb question, but the case I bought has I think built in Mobo standoffs. How does that work? It sounds like there is one in the middle already?

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel

t-ramp

Does anyone know how to resolve a "buzzing" sound on my monitor? Seems to only come up when I'm playing certain games. Is it a refresh rate issue? Or maybe the DVI cable I'm using?

I have an Asus VE228H. Never had that problem on my old laptop using VGA.
I think for some reason I had (have?) this issue when my monitor(s?) were at less than full brightness. I don't remember very well the particular circumstances, but it was irritating and turning the brightness up was the only thing that seemed to fix it. That's just my experience with buzzing monitors - hopefully you figure out what's causing your issue.

Really dumb question, but the case I bought has I think built in Mobo standoffs. How does that work? It sounds like there is one in the middle already?

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel
It looks like there is one standoff in the center that you use to align the board and hold it in place (to a degree), and then you just install screws into the remaining holes. Instead of traditional brass standoffs, the motherboard tray has bumps with threaded holes for this purpose.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but then he'd be tempted to raid them for even more speed and he'd still be short on storage
150gigs is enough to work with. I've had a 120gig drive in my MacBook for 6 years now and haven't felt too much of a squeeze. My new computer is gonna feel like a huuuuuge increase even though i only have a half terabyte.

Another stupid question.

Just installed Crysis 1 and discovered that I can't run it via HDMI (Monitor just hangs saying "Input not supported").

Apparently I need DVI cables but I don't think my monitor supports them. I can't use VGA because there are no plugs for it on the 6870.

Is there a way around this?

EDIT: Mashed ALT+Enter a bunch until the game started running in a window. Flipped the settings to 1920 x 1080. What's odd is that the mouse still only moves in the tiny box the game originally started in.
EDIT x2: Nevermind. Restarting the game seemed to fix this. Still looks a bit odd but whatever.

beje

Banned
If anybody is interested, the i5 3570K is just 150 pounds in Amazon UK. I took advantage of the offer and got this: i5 3570K + 2x4GB G.Skill Ares + Asrock Z77 Pro3, can't wait!

Quoting myself to add that I managed to find an Antec Kuhler H2O 620 for only 50€ so now the rig is complete :D

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah but then he'd be tempted to raid them for even more speed and he'd still be short on storage
I did this for a little bit, but ended up just splitting up the RAID on my most recent install of two M4's. I honestly can't tell a difference at all in speed, which should have been theoretically almost doubled.

bro1

Banned
I think for some reason I had (have?) this issue when my monitor(s?) were at less than full brightness. I don't remember very well the particular circumstances, but it was irritating and turning the brightness up was the only thing that seemed to fix it. That's just my experience with buzzing monitors - hopefully you figure out what's causing your issue.

It looks like there is one standoff in the center that you use to align the board and hold it in place (to a degree), and then you just install screws into the remaining holes. Instead of traditional brass standoffs, the motherboard tray has bumps with threaded holes for this purpose.

So how does the motherboard stay grounded? I don't use standoffs??

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
gave up on the SSD for now. Only way to get one "safe" (with less risk of it getting caught in customs) is to get a 60gb for 75 bucks.. yeah, I think it's a bit small. Not gonna join the SSD brigade for now it seems.

Heading out now to get a good ol WD Caviar Blue 500gb for the OS and probably to buy the hyper 212+ EVO
Man, I told you before, can import those 128GB SSDs with no issue whatsoever for about 150-175 total.

But whatever, seems like you got the HDD already :p

Salsa

Man, I told you before, can import those 128GB SSDs with no issue whatsoever for about 150-175 total.

But whatever, seems like you got the HDD already :p

someday. the same way you have stories about friends who were able to import them, I also have tales of people being screwed by customs and having to hire a dispacher, ended up paying 150 bucks more for it.

anyway:

A0K24.jpg

ram's a little close, and I literally have like 1mm between the top of the 212 and the side of my case, lol

idle temps:

8rhHK.png

my PC as a whole runs a bit hot so im happy with it. Took about 12-15° off

gonna get it to 4.0ghz

mismatched RAM!? FOR SHAME!

Back in the day, that was just how ram came. People didn't start getting uppitie about RAM until the mobos and CPUs got all crazy with what rams sat on which banks, triple and now quad-channel memory. back in the EDO days, I'd be hard pressed to find ran chips from the same manufactures on the motherboard but now we just assume it has to be bought in sets. I guess that's the trade-off of ram being so cheap now. Seriously... I just get 32GB 1600 MHz Quad-Channel RAM for less than $170! There was a time earlier this century where a single 128 MB chip was going for that much.

or rather, if you're gonna hate, do it for my awesome cable management

LeT13.jpg

u guys jelly

I think it takes a special breed to have slick wiring. I always wanted to be that guy but, frankly, I found my patience is timed to run out just around the time I get everything wired up and verify nothing is touching any fan blades. I'd rather go computerless than ever own a case with a window into it so the way I see it... IF I can't see it then I'm fine with it :|

mkenyon

Banned
It's more than aesthetics. Wires directly in airflow can hugely affect temperatures. More importantly, they gather dust which can lead to an early demise for components, further higher temperatures, and a general mess. If the inside of the case is clean, it'll tend to stay that way.

Salsa

it's definetly more than aesthetics, and im gonna pull some nice cable management for my next case for sure. just not a lot you can do with a v4 and a non-modular PSU

anyway:

running prime95 blend tests

qfcbM.png

stable under 65° at stock voltage

could it be this easy?

keep in mind that im OCing through turbo boost since my p67 LE mobo is trashhhhhh

ive never OCed through turbo boost so I dont even know if it's pushing it. How could I tell?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
someday. the same way you have stories about friends who were able to import them, I also have tales of people being screwed by customs and having to hire a dispacher, ended up paying 150 bucks more for it.
Fine, whatever, don't believe me :(

Sweet OC though :D

It's more than aesthetics. Wires directly in airflow can hugely affect temperatures. More importantly, they gather dust which can lead to an early demise for components, further higher temperatures, and a general mess. If the inside of the case is clean, it'll tend to stay that way.

You have to really let it get out of hand before the aesthetic disaster becomes an actual one. My latest build in a cramped case like the FT03 was helped because of the drastic reduction in internal components and the general design of the case that forces you to place the wire-out portion of the PSU on the other side of the backplane which makes routing. I just wish there was a better standard for wires in the PC. We have standard location for IO shields, mounting points, etc... Why can't we have proper locations for wires or at lease slicker cable designs? Motherboard wires these days are atrocious.

kennah

Back in the day, that was just how ram came. People didn't start getting uppitie about RAM until the mobos and CPUs got all crazy with what rams sat on which banks, triple and now quad-channel memory. back in the EDO days, I'd be hard pressed to find ran chips from the same manufactures on the motherboard but now we just assume it has to be bought in sets. I guess that's the trade-off of ram being so cheap now. Seriously... I just get 32GB 1600 MHz Quad-Channel RAM for less than $170! There was a time earlier this century where a single 128 MB chip was going for that much.

Yep. And before EDO, RAM often had to be installed in banks of four or eight. Good times had by all.

I still remember the look on my boss's face when he was installing 32 megs of ram into a customer's system. He had to be extra careful because each stick cost about $900. And this was in the days that static could take out a whole system if you weren't properly grounded.

mkenyon

Banned
I just wish there was a better standard for wires in the PC. We have standard location for IO shields, mounting points, etc... Why can't we have proper locations for wires or at lease slicker cable designs? Motherboard wires these days are atrocious.
There are. It's just that some cases are still stuck in the stone age when it comes to cable management.

Salsa

again, never OCd on turbo boost so just checkin if this is normal:

0ELFj.png

this is at idle. So basically at this point it just disregards the normal way in wich turbo boost works and just has the CPU working those clocks all the time?

I also havent manually adjusted Vcore or anything. I literally just entered AI tweaker and set the multiplier for each core under turbo boost and that's that

have every power saving feature and C-state disabled as well

bro1

Banned
Another question about the Corsair 300 case I just bought in the mobo tray. Here is what they said in the AnandTech review:

"First, the motherboard tray is practically a godsend. Corsair doesn't include any motherboard standoffs with the 300R because the tray itself has a single brass stud in the center for lining up the board and then extrusions with mounts built into them. The only flaw with this design is that it's not ideal for Micro-ATX boards, and the side of ours wound up hanging off with no support. Since that side isn't going to be particularly prone to stress I'm willing to give them a pass, though I would've liked to have seen more than a single arbitrary mounting hole in the tray for a Micro-ATX standoff (as well as maybe including one or two standoffs in the package)."

Do I screw the mobo right onto the tray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom