• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Done!

Mobo: Asus Rampage 4 Extreme
CPU: i7 3820 (OC @ 5.0)
GPU: 2x 690 GTX
Cooler: H100
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Corsair 1200
Media/Games: 2X 1TB Samsung 7200rpm (RAID 0)
Drive: Plextor Bluray
Case: HAF X

In action:
What are temps like on the cpu and gpu's?

ghibli99

Gigabyte GTX 670 WF OC: P24286 (27994 GPU / 17380 CPU) on 3DMark Vantage. Initial opening cave/jetski entrance scene on my GTX 285 was barely pushing 15-30fps (stock Performance setting)... on this card, it was around 120-140fps. I was pretty amazed. I had my CPU back to stock 2.66GHz and no tweaks on the 670 yet. Pretty happy with this purchase so far. :)

Edit: P24729 (29029 GPU) overclocked. Fans were going, but remained pretty quiet compared to my old card. Loving this thing! :)

scogoth

Gigabyte GTX 670 WF OC: P24286 (27994 GPU / 17380 CPU) on 3DMark Vantage. Initial opening cave/jetski entrance scene on my GTX 285 was barely pushing 15-30fps (stock Performance setting)... on this card, it was around 120-140fps. I was pretty amazed. I had my CPU back to stock 2.66GHz and no tweaks on the 670 yet. Pretty happy with this purchase so far. :)

Edit: P24729 (29029 GPU) overclocked. Fans were going, but remained pretty quiet compared to my old card. Loving this thing! :)

Run 3Dmark 11

ghibli99

Run 3Dmark 11
D'oh... good point due to DX11. Hasn't even been in my thoughts since I've had that GTX 285 for so long. :p Anyway, downloading now.

Edit: Results:

SCORE
P8314 3DMarks
GRAPHICS SCORE
PHYSICS SCORE
COMBINED SCORE

That was my first exposure to DX11... damn, what a difference.

Edit 2: For kicks, also ran Heaven @ 2560x1440 with everything enabled and maxxed out. Some scenes brought my system to its knees LOL, but it looked cool!

FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Render:
direct3d11
Mode:
2560x1440 8xAA fullscreen
Shaders:
high
Textures:
high
Filter:
trilinear
Anisotropy:
16x
Occlusion:
enabled
Refraction:
enabled
Volumetric:
enabled
Tessellation:
extreme

Fantomex

well got the 970 to 3.7 ghz, its my wall since 3.8 bluescreens. Happy with temps as well, only 49 celsius after 2 hours of bf3 :]

iZmliZmg0tdgY.PNG

I got that same card! Bros!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Finally purchased this...

1 x ($9.99) Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM - OEM
$9.99

Did I do good GAF?!?!
No :(
Many other better pastes than AS5, but it still does a very good job.

*Just use the CM 212+ paste it should be better.
D'oh... good point due to DX11. Hasn't even been in my thoughts since I've had that GTX 285 for so long. :p Anyway, downloading now.

Edit: Results:

SCORE
P8314 3DMarks
GRAPHICS SCORE
PHYSICS SCORE
COMBINED SCORE

That was my first exposure to DX11... damn, what a difference.
Let's at least aim for 10000 :D

P10643 - GTX670 (+171(1308 Boost)/3899/1.180V) - 2600K @ 4.3Ghz - 8GB Samsung DDR3 @ 2133 - ASUS Gene V - Hazaro - Air - Link

Momentary

Banned
I'm so torn as to what to do... I know that Maxwell is supposedly being released 2014. I don't get off this deployment until March of 2013. All I know about it is that it incorporates some kind of CPU using the ARM architecture. Is 20nm worth waiting for? The amount of money I'm about put down some serious money on my dream computer and I don't want to feel like I missed out on the next evolution of the graphics card. I keep hearing that it's the "new era" of GPUs... I don't want to miss out on that.

By the time I get back to the states they'll be gearing up for the GTX 700 series. Should I go with that or just go ahead and wait for Maxwell? I would go ahead and buy a 700 series and change out to a Maxwell based GPU later, but I don't even know if current motherboards would support it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm so torn as to what to do... I know that Maxwell is supposedly being released 2014. I don't get off this deployment until March of 2013. All I know about it is that it incorporates some kind of CPU using the ARM architecture. Is 20nm worth waiting for? The amount of money I'm about put down some serious money on my dream computer and I don't want to feel like I missed out on the next evolution of the graphics card. I keep hearing that it's the "new era" of GPUs... I don't want to miss out on that.

By the time I get back to the states they'll be gearing up for the GTX 700 series. Should I go with that or just go ahead and wait for Maxwell? I would go ahead and buy a 700 series and change out to a Maxwell based GPU later, but I don't even know if current motherboards would support it.
GPU interface is not changing TMK. GPU upgrades are easy to do.

Haswell you can read about here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture

Going for a 3770K now and overclocking it will have you set for a good long while as Haswell is being designed about low low power usage. Ivy was like this as well (targetting as a mobile chip) and it scaled fantastically higher end. This time around though they are aiming for drastically lower power requirements and not going after single threaded performance that much.

By the time it really matters most games will probably be making good enough use of 4-8 threads (Probably thanks to UE4) that CPU speed won't be that big a deal on modern CPUs.
I think.

If you have serious money to drop going Ivy + GTX 780 isn't a bad idea from what I can tell at this point from a gaming perspective.

Fill out the list in the OP if you want more specifics.

beje

Banned
I've started to buy parts to my future rig but I have a question. Do you think the Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (CML16GX3M4A1600C9) will work together with Asus P8Z77-V PRO even if I can't find the memory model in the QVL?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_PRO/P8Z77-V-PRO_QVL.pdf

Unless you're buying from an obscure chinese manufacturer nobody ever heard about or you're getting RAM with extremely high/uncommon speeds or latencies, every RAM stick will work as long as it's from a trusted brand (Kingston, Samsung, Corsair, G.Skill...), DDR3 and works at 1.5v.

Zanosuke

Unless you're buying from an obscure chinese manufacturer nobody ever heard about or you're getting RAM with extremely high/uncommon speeds or latencies, every RAM stick will work as long as it's from a trusted brand (Kingston, Samsung, Corsair, G.Skill...), DDR3 and works at 1.5v.

Ty! Another question. I'm gonna use a GTX 670 2 GB graphics card and run my games at 1080P. Do I gain anything with 16 GB of ram or is 8 GB more than enough?

beje

Banned
Ty! Another question. I'm gonna use a GTX 670 2 GB graphics card and run my games at 1080P. Do I gain anything with 16 GB of ram or is 8 GB more than enough?

For Gaming, currently 8GB is more than enough. Get 16GB if you're going to do multimedia work (video encoding, photoshop...) or intensive multitasking. If it fits your budget go with 16GB, but if you're making compromises elsewhere or stretching your budget to fit it, pick just 8GB and pour those extra $40 into another component.

Also, get your ram always paired (2x4GB, 2x8GB, etc...) instead of single sticks to get advantage of Dual Channel.

Xdrive05

Have Nvidia revealed anything yet about their 700 series; when it's here or what to expect? I'm waiting on the 760 TI or 770 to replace my 1GB 560 TI and that can't happen soon enough.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
No :(
Many other better pastes than AS5, but it still does a very good job.

*Just use the CM 212+ paste it should be better.

Really Damn... some years ago (in my tiimes... :p) AS5 was top notch stuff, so I went with that. Will check what you recommended haha, thanks :p

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Can anyone answer my question regarding HDMI audio? Its a 670 GTX, and I will be connecting it through HDMI to a receiver. Will this pass audio data or will I need a separate optical cable (the mobo has a slot for one) to pass the audio? Wanna know so i can go buy the cable beforehand :p. Thanks in advance

scogoth

Have Nvidia revealed anything yet about their 700 series; when it's here or what to expect? I'm waiting on the 760 TI or 770 to replace my 1GB 560 TI and that can't happen soon enough.

They havent but the latest rumours are 780 in Q3 of next year so the 770/760Ti will probably be fall next year.

They havent but the latest rumours are 780 in Q3 of next year so the 770/760Ti will probably be fall next year.

Would you like to by a 4GB 670 for $330 around say... Q2.75 of next year? It's a great deal brah <3

= = = = =

I know this isn't a support group here but...

Could someone talk me out of buying this?
Seriously... please!

So last night I tried to install my wife's copy of XP (she refers it for some reason and I'm waiting for 8) and my PC is so new that it isn't compatible with it. I had to hook my HDD to her PC and then put it back into mine.

She explained it to me but I don't remember the details.

Mangotron

Really trying to cut the budget. AMD CPUs are that bad??

I use them since I'm usually building on a budget. They aren't "that bad", Intels are legitimately better processors right now but they do come at a premium. You're gonna have lower benchmark scores, and if you play SC2 you might experience a semi-significant frame difference between the two.

For reference, my friend has essentially the same rig as me (6950 2GB, 4GB RAM, SSD, etc) except he has a 2500K instead of my 8120 4GHz, and you really can't tell the difference between the two when gaming. I imagine the difference might be more pronounced in production-type programs like CAD or Maya though.

ghibli99

Let's at least aim for 10000 :D
My i7 920 was at stock 2.66GHz for these, even though the 670 was OC'd +105MHz. I'm still waiting for my new DDR3 1600 sticks to arrive before I start OC'ing my rig again, and then I'll bump it back up to 3.7~4.0GHz and run the tests again.

Upgrading my comp piece by piece has been really fun. It lets me focus on the performance impacts of individual components vs. the entirety of a full upgrade... although I would certainly love to do the latter... and it seems like this is all trending towards me replacing everything anyway. :p

mkenyon

Banned
For Gaming, currently 8GB is more than enough. Get 16GB if you're going to do multimedia work (video encoding, photoshop...) or intensive multitasking. If it fits your budget go with 16GB, but if you're making compromises elsewhere or stretching your budget to fit it, pick just 8GB and pour those extra $40 into another component.

Also, get your ram always paired (2x4GB, 2x8GB, etc...) instead of single sticks to get advantage of Dual Channel.
I'd kill to see the processes tab of someone going above 8GB without multimedia work.
I heard way earlier than that.

Supposedly within the first few months of 2013.. This is GK110 as the 780. If =>$500, will buy two day one!
Cleaned up my desk space and did some more cable management. New setup with the second screen.

CG2Tcl.jpg
Yes! Secondary in portrait mode is the best. Webpages, articles, and forums are seemingly made for it.
Really trying to cut the budget. AMD CPUs are that bad??
They're not really less expensive than i3s + H67/77, so there's no reason.
My i7 920 was at stock 2.66GHz for these, even though the 670 was OC'd +105MHz. I'm still waiting for my new DDR3 1600 sticks to arrive before I start OC'ing my rig again, and then I'll bump it back up to 3.7~4.0GHz and run the tests again.

Upgrading my comp piece by piece has been really fun. It lets me focus on the performance impacts of individual components vs. the entirety of a full upgrade... although I would certainly love to do the latter... and it seems like this is all trending towards me replacing everything anyway. :p
Did you get the Samsung RAM?
I use them since I'm usually building on a budget. They aren't "that bad", Intels are legitimately better processors right now but they do come at a premium. You're gonna have lower benchmark scores, and if you play SC2 you might experience a semi-significant frame difference between the two.

For reference, my friend has essentially the same rig as me (6950 2GB, 4GB RAM, SSD, etc) except he has a 2500K instead of my 8120 4GHz, and you really can't tell the difference between the two when gaming. I imagine the difference might be more pronounced in production-type programs like CAD or Maya though.
It's not about raw FPS numbers. AMD CPU's suffer from what is called 'frame latency', which gives a much worse visual appearance when using them than Intel processors. When I went from a 4.2GHz 975 --> 5.0 GHz 2500K, the difference was night and day. Every game that felt weird and stuttery became buttery smooth.

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

ghibli99

It's not about raw FPS numbers. AMD CPU's suffer from what is called 'frame latency', which gives a much worse visual appearance when using them than Intel processors. When I went from a 4.2GHz 975 --> 5.0 GHz 2500K, the difference was night and day. Every game that felt weird and stuttery became buttery smooth.
What motherboard are you using? And do you mainly game or do you use other things like Photoshop and other 2D applications?

mkenyon

Banned
What motherboard are you using? And do you mainly game or do you use other things like Photoshop and other 2D applications?
The 1155 boards I've had - Maximus IV Gene Z, Maximus V Gene, Sabertooth P67, P8Z77-I. My socket 2011 board is the Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2, which is ostensibly my primary rig.

I mainly game, and record gaming. #ESPORTS
Guys can someone recommend me a good router (ADSL) that holds a strong connection for gaming?
Do you mean modem?

ghibli99

The 1155 boards I've had - Maximus IV Gene Z, Maximus V Gene, Sabertooth P67, P8Z77-I. My socket 2011 board is the Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2, which is ostensibly my primary rig.

I mainly game, and record gaming. #ESPORTS
Thanks. I do about an equal 1/3 of internet, Photoshop/Lightroom, and gaming. Cursory look around, an i5 3570K + Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe would probably be more than enough for my needs. Thoughts?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks. I do about an equal 1/3 of internet, Photoshop/Lightroom, and gaming. Cursory look around, an i5 3570K + Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe would probably be more than enough for my needs. Thoughts?
If you can get your 920 up to the 4.0 range, I'd hold off until Haswell release to make sure. If you have money to spend and it's not a huge dent to your budget, I'd look at X79 and a 3820, with a possible IB-E Hexacore upgrade down the line over IB.

ghibli99

If you can get your 920 up to the 4.0 range, I'd hold off until Haswell release to make sure. If you have money to spend and it's not a huge dent to your budget, I'd look at X79 and a 3820, with a possible IB-E Hexacore upgrade down the line over IB.
Thanks for the advice -- I'll see how the OC'ing goes first.

In other news, I ran Borderlands 1 last night, and I know it's a semi-old game, but the performance difference with the 670 made my eyes pop out. The game was pretty chunky with the 285, even at lower, non-native resolutions, but at 2560x1440 w/ everything on/maxxed, it was just butter. Curious to see what Skyrim looks like. Thing was damn near unplayable for me previously.

K' Dash

Hi guys, first of all I want to thank all the people active on this thread that helped me build my gaming rig last july, I've been enjoying A LOT mu machine, thank you.

Right now I'm thinking of upgrading my video, currently I have a Sapphire 7850, and I would like to know if its better to buy another one and crossfire or sell it and buy a 670?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: if anyone have a link to a guide for OCing an i5 2500K that is Idiot proof I'd be forever grateful.

mkenyon

Banned
Hi guys, first of all I want to thank all the people active on this thread that helped me build my gaming rig last july, I've been enjoying A LOT mu machine, thank you.

Right now I'm thinking of upgrading my video, currently I have a Sapphire 7850, and I would like to know if its better to buy another one and crossfire or sell it and buy a 670?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: if anyone have a link to a guide for OCing an i5 2500K that is Idiot proof I'd be forever grateful.
Crossfire/SLI guide in the OP. If you don't mind troubleshooting why crossfire isn't working as well as creating your own crossfire profiles for a lot of games, it can be a good way to go. It will take work to make it work consistently though.

If you want it to just work, the 670/7970 is a better option.

OC Guide in the OP.
Thanks for the advice -- I'll see how the OC'ing goes first.

In other news, I ran Borderlands 1 last night, and I know it's a semi-old game, but the performance difference with the 670 made my eyes pop out. The game was pretty chunky with the 285, even at lower, non-native resolutions, but at 2560x1440 w/ everything on/maxxed, it was just butter. Curious to see what Skyrim looks like. Thing was damn near unplayable for me previously.
It'll go up even higher with higher clocks. UE3 is one of the most CPU-bound engines out there.

XSJv2.png

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well this is a grab bag of goodies!

Just ordered

Multicolored neon cable ties! (Stand in until I do a full cable sleeving job)
Oem copy of win7 home premium
A microphone that should clip onto my sennheisers
Arctic silver 5
And a blue static shock wriststrap :D

Prozel

Can the Antec VP450 deliver enough juice to a 3570k and GTX 670? I don't think the Seasonic is available where I live.

EDIT: Nevermind, a dear friend told me.

Tau

Do you mean modem?

not sure what you mean, I've got a wireless router that sends out signal to all my devices but the signal isn't strong enough for online gaming.. so looking to get a new one that will provide a stronger connection.

R2D4

Banned
not sure what you mean, I've got a wireless router that sends out signal to all my devices but the signal isn't strong enough for online gaming.. so looking to get a new one that will provide a stronger connection.

He probably thought you were asking for a modem because you said (ADSL). Your connection type doesn't matter unless you have a combination wireless router and modem. Do you have a separate DSL modem? Or is it all in one box?

Anyways wired for gaming is preferred but if that is impossible then I'd look at a wireless N router. This may help or it may not depending on what is causing the signal to decrease by the time it reaches your PC.

scogoth

Wireless gaming is always going to be bad. Only access point I've used that is acceptable is Ruckus but they arent available to consumers.

cametall

He probably thought you were asking for a modem because you said (ADSL). Your connection type doesn't matter unless you have a combination wireless router and modem. Do you have a separate DSL modem? Or is it all in one box?

Anyways wired for gaming is preferred but if that is impossible then I'd look at a wireless N router. This may help or it may not depending on what is causing the signal to decrease by the time it reaches your PC.

If distance from the router is the issue then wireless N will not help, same goes if an obstruction is the issue.

I think N would only be helpful if the bandwidth provided by G is not enough.

My old Linksys WRT54G was capable of giving me an excellent wireless connection and latency, but all the N routers I've used have sucked unless I was in the same room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom